[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final fantasy TRPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 731x887) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 731x887
I was talking with some weeaboo friends and we started to wonder if there was some final fantasy themed tabletop RPG. My first suggestion was to play some other fantastic TRPG and fluff it as a final fantasy world, but then curiosity picked me

Apparently, there is is this Final Fantasy RPG 3rd edition. After looking at the PDF on just a first view it seems to be crunchy and has a very video-gamey feeling, which is quite appropriate, since is most likely what the fans of the series are expecting.

I was wondering if anyone has ever given it a try or if there are any other RPGs with a final fantasy theme
>>
>>48274304
That game is garbage.
It's a very faithful adaptation of FF games to the tabletop, but that is exactly what makes it entirely useless as a tabletop RPG.

Super Console was inspired by early RPG titles and features a rather ingenious solution to the ridiculous number bloat you would find in the source material.
Anima (not Beyond Fantasy, the other one) was primarly inspired by VII and VIII, but eschews video game-like mechanics for a more narratively inclined system.
Anima: Beyond Fantasy might work, too. Horribly front-loaded and badly translated, but apparently there are enough people playing it.
Retro Phaze also keeps getting mentioned as taking inspiration from 8-bit RPGs, but I haven't read it yet.
>>
File: retrophazeRPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
retrophazeRPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48274304
A much, much better Final Fantasy inspired game.
>>
>>48274743
>It's a very faithful adaptation of FF games to the tabletop
as a fan of the series, that is precisely what I'm looking for in a FF RPG tho
>>
There's also FFd6 but I have no idea if it's any good or not. Maybe list out what you want to see in a Final Fantasy TTRPG and see if there's any games like it? Hell I know the old NES Final Fantasy was basically an AD&D game, right down to vancian casting.
>>
>>48275214
Okay, let me rephrase that.
It's a copy, not an adaptation.
It's like playing the video games, except without the graphics, without the music, without the computer and therefore at a pitiful fraction of the speed.
>>
>>48275299
FFd6 is really wonky.
>>
I know of a pathfinder conversion to the FF world
http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/

I haven't looked at it too extensively but it seems fairly well built.
>>
>>48275371
I kind of figured it would be. If Tactics-styled combat is something the OP would like I wonder if D&D4e or one of its variants/clones could work. I doubt Ivalice-style races would be hard to implement, though class changing would probably not work very well.
>>
>>48275409
>pathfinder conversion
>seems fairly well built
Pick one and only one.
>>
I remember a d20 modern adaptation, but I don't have it anymore and all searchs give me that ugly d20.
>>
Ryuutama would capture the early FFs I think.

Savage Worlds is always a good answer and the magic system has power points which you can just rename MP.
>>
>>48274781
Perhaps a bit shallow for my expectations though

>>48275299
I would like it to be quite gamey like, although most people absolutely hate that I think I wouldn't mind something that is so normal to despise like this anon>>48275351 says. With big HP and MP pools, high numbers rolling and a lot of suspension of disbelief.
I would also like to see a big variety of weapons and magic (not things like "all hand weapons deal the same amount of damage and there is basically no difference between a hand axe and a sword) and some nice things would be concise and well defined classes like the jobs from final fantasy III or V
I prefer the fluff to be very little so that I can make my own and adapt it to the campaign (also, serves as a good way to deal with metagamers)
>>
>>48274743
>Super Console
reading that one right now, it seems to be quite good for what I was looking for, thanks

although it took me a while to check it because you were a bit hostile with your post there
>>
>>48279574
>although it took me a while to check it because you were a bit hostile with your post there

Jesus Christ, grow a pair. Anon wasn't aggressive at all. You asked how it was. They said the game was a bad choice for a tabletop RPG.

Why are you taking personal offense over someone answering your question?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.