[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you do a game in the Dark Tower setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
How would you do a game in the Dark Tower setting?
>>
>>48273279
I wouldn't, because I don't want to bore my players into quitting roleplaying.
>>
>>48273279

I would just run Deadlands.
>>
Use your own weird dreams and fetishes as a fuel for the setting? I mean, that's basically what SK does in every book.
>>
>>48273279
Start with a single player session and them bring in new players one at a time over the next couple sessions. Run really cool adventures for them. Then, halfway through the campaign, tell everyone but the first player not to come back for a few weeks, we're doing a flashback arc their characters won't be around for.

Then when they come back, I'll introduce a DMPC who is literally my self insert-- he'll have my own real name and backstory and everything. Then I'll kill off one of my players and two more will quit in disgust. Then, once the last player defeats the BBEG, I'll tell him we're restarting the campaign next week, since he did it wrong this time around.
>>
>>48273279
Does the Stephen King Drinking Game count as a traditional game?
>>
>>48273279
>How would you do a game in the Dark Tower setting?
Like this:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Campaign:End-World
>>
Dogs in the Vineyard would work, and there is a Dark Tower version of the game floating around somewhere. I'd focus more on the lives of Gunslingers trying to root out sin from random communities in the weird version of Earth Roland is from instead of the multiverse-hopping adventures of the ka-tet, but that might be a good place to go once saving small towns gets boring.
>>48273747
beat me to it.
>>
>>48273610
>drinking

The wha? [googles]
Holy shit, that's not a game - it's a suicide pact.

Drink a shot if any Stephen King movie depicts:

An unexplained evil force without justification for its existence.
Bonus shot for this evil force being extra-dimensional.

A disabled child with magic powers.
Bonus shot for those powers to be psychic.

The setting of the story taking place in the state of Maine.

The setting of the story taking place in any rural small town.
Bonus shot if the seemingly normal small town hides horrible secrets.

An antagonist without any redeeming qualities.
Bonus shot if they're childhood bullies.

Details that teeter on the perverted.
Bonus shot if children are involved.

A racist remark.
Bonus shot if said by an atheist.

Evil religious people espousing morality when it comes to sex.
Bonus shot if said evil religious people die.

Flashbacks. You can skip this if you're watching "It."

Depraved Homosexuals.
Bonus shot if they die.

Animals being hurt or killed.

A major character is recovering or addicted to alcohol or drugs.

A major character is a writer/ poet/ storyteller.
Bonus shot if it's the main character.

A reference to a previous King work.
Bonus shot for a reference to multiple works.

An Internal Monologue which devolves into Stream Of Consciousness.

A sociologist appears to tell us about the consequences of disaster.
Bonus shot if the sociologist dies.

Gratuitous violence.
Bonus shot for Body Horror. Eye Scream.

A cameo appearance by Stephen King.

Obscenely brutal bullying.
Bonus shot if the bully is one of the villains.
>>
>>48274221
>Flashbacks. You can skip this if you're watching "It."

Pussy.

If you're watching It then you also have to take a shot every time a protagonist does something legitimately retarded. Going into the underground without any weapons requires a shit for every person to do so.

By the end of this game everyone will be unconscious before the end of the show and probably won't be able to form coherent memories of what they were watching. This is another advantage of playing with this rule.
>>
>>48273307
Which is why they just aren't the same since he quit drugs.
>>
>>48274292
>Going into the underground without any weapons requires a shit for every person to do so.
Anon, it's a drinking game, not a scat game. You're looking for /d/.
>>
>>48274328
Sorry I meant shot.

Whenever the works of SK are mentioned the word shit keeps springing to mind.
>>
I love these books so much but even I can't deny the ending was a fucking insult, it all went downhill after the utterly stupid self insert. Just do what everyone else is saying and run it in the world of DT instead of running it in some crazy Steven King multiverse.
>>
Use Dogs in the Vineyard of Deadlands. Multiverse jumps are cool but make sure to know if your players want the full thing or just some magic wild west setting. Dark Tower is not exactly about the Crimsom King or Merlin or wathever, is about fighting Evil and Chaos itself in a world gone rotten, so read on some Lovecraft or Kafka to know how to make a villain.

I also don't get why people think the ending of DT is just a reset. I mean, Roland got the Horn of the Eld now. It's implied that things can go different this time. The whole point of the loop is that he's slowly making up for his mistakes, until he is ready to ACTUALLY save the multiverse. The real problem of the ending to DT was the autistic kid with the crayons killing the King
>>
File: Anno is best girl.gif (185 KB, 390x290) Image search: [Google]
Anno is best girl.gif
185 KB, 390x290
>>48273608
This is some high level cuntery. Even moreso if they have read the books and work out what's goin g on over a period. The master would be proud.
>>
>>48277268
The ending jived with everything else. You're angry because no ending could possibly live up to your expectations.
>>
>>48277379
Not killing.
Ever so much worse than killing.
>>
>>48273279
Newfags won't get this.
>>
King's a hack, but an enjoyable hack, and his weird conjoined universe actually makes a great place to draw characters from for a game like >>48273747
>>
>>48279332
>newfags beware
>spoilers

I quite liked Misery, and picked-up DT when it appeared right afterward - but I missed the ending. I did manage to gnaw my way through most of the series in what turned out to be a completist character-building exercise, until the story finally broke my mind by introducing Ruby Slippers.

Something just fucking snapped, and I tore up the book, shitcanned it and drank much rum in order to hasten the blocking process. Oh so close, Mr. King. You did ALMOST pull it off.

Full disclosure: I relented eventually, and gave Dream Catcher a try.

Big. Mistake.
>>
File: 2720_1.jpg (137 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
2720_1.jpg
137 KB, 728x409
>>48274221
Dolan's Cadillac doesn't seem to fit any of these.
Checkmate, atheists.
>>
>>48273747
>>48273989
This
>>
>>48281703
Dream Catcher's awful.

The Ruby Slippers are more of Flagg fucking with them than something actually useful.

Try reading It. Or The Stand. Eyes of the Dragon. I really like Desperation. Talisman. Or some of his novellas and short story collections.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.