[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terrain making general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: savannahleft.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
savannahleft.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
Best miniature trees for 28mm scale armies?

https://www.amazon.com/WINOMO-Miniature-Architecture-Landscape-Railways/dp/B01CSEUN9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468497081&sr=8-1&keywords=miniature+model+trees

This looks like a good set but I would like to hear from experienced terrain builders before buying a few sets.
>>
>>48272916
At a glance, I would avoid. When making tree stands for wargaming, you have to think practically; those trees are realistically high, but 2/3 of them are too short to fit miniatures under/around. It's probably better to make your own trees; you're shooting for @ 3" of trunk so stuff like staffs or spears clear the foliage.
>>
File: Waterfall9.jpg (348 KB, 1023x640) Image search: [Google]
Waterfall9.jpg
348 KB, 1023x640
>>48272916
The best trees I'd say are the ones with the best price-amount ratio whilst being durable.

Classic toilet-brush style trees (can make them yourself with flock, wire and gutter cleaners or just buy them in bulk from various places) are still a great option despite not looking that spectacular due to not falling apart constantly.

Never underestimate how much damage terrain can take over time from having wargamers and their miniatures interact with it.
>>
>>48272916

First principles: Gaming or diorama?
If diorama, use what you think looks best. If gaming, avoid trees. They're often flimsy, shed, easy to knock over and a pain to transport without damaging them accidentally. Your pic is a board for 6-10mm historicals, but still uses my group's preferred felt rectangles to represent area terrain, where "Forest" is ably marked with a piece of green fabric. That said, we do sometimes weight the corners with some model trees glued to steel flatwashers for visual appeal. More than that, and moving models on the table becomes problemmatic at 28mm scale. That said, based Scotchbrite "hedges" are pretty common with fantasy players because they're sturdy and stable - organic versions of the the jersey barrier models common on SciFi gaming boards.

HTH
>>
>>48273907
>Never underestimate how much damage terrain can take over time from having wargamers and their miniatures interact with it.

personally, I found that it was storage that damaged them. I ended up making custom sized boxes for all the hills with trees, so they would be stored without being crushed, back when I was making terrain.
>>
>>48274193
Yeah a lot of the time stuff just gets dumped in boxes with no care, that really doesn't help.
>>
>>48272916
Where do you get irregularly shaped bases to put terrain pieces like trees on?
>>
>>48278648
A 6mm mdf board and a jigsaw is the usual method.

Also the most cost effective.
>>
is there a good place to buy a sort of soft clear whiteish blue wax to use for water detailing? or do i need to use some other material for a sort of transparency im new to this sorta stuff...
>>
>>48279244
Water is one of the most... not awkward but certainly fancy things you can do for a gaming table. There's a whole bunch of methods ranging from cheap and easy to oh gods why have I spent literally a thousand hours sculpting tiny waves in layers each with their own inking for perfect colour variation.

Basic method is to get some clear plastic a few millimeters thick and paint the underside. It can also be stuck to an opaque base, and you can stick stuff on top of it for texture. Using plastic sheet is a great way to get depth without having to do a ton of layers.

Speaking of layers, well the oldest trick is PVA glue, as it dries clear. More or less. And you can poke ripples into it. Transparent Acrylic Caulk is also pretty good, thicker and has the bonus of being great for sticking stuff to felt whilst having it remain flexible. But it remains sticky for a very, very long time so it's best to seal it with something.
Melted resin is another method, mostly good for dioramas given the amount of time and effort it takes to do properly. There's a bunch of vids from terrain guys on youtube about doing water effects though if you care to search, and they cover stuff better than I can even with an essay's worth of posting here. Check out The Terrain Tutor for really easy-access guides to practical wargames stuff, not diorama complexity building.
>>
>>48280703
alright thanks man this is just a small hobby im starting to pick up so i have something to do
>>
File: water template.jpg (117 KB, 960x598) Image search: [Google]
water template.jpg
117 KB, 960x598
Reminder that anyone getting into wargame terrain for the first time should do the following before trying to build your own.

1 - Find something like pic related and paste it into a word document.
2 - Print out said document.
3 - Take the picture to a Staples or whatever and get it laminated.
4 - Cut out the terrain.
5 - Play a game with terrain which won't blow away when someone farts and won't be easily stained or ripped.

This is the cheapest and most efficient way to start with terrain when you start playing wargames. Obviously the biggest problem is that you can't simulate going into buildings very well, but again, its cheap and a great way to fill up a table while you are just starting out.
>>
>>48281744
I personally just use papercraft terrain for just about everything.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.