[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>haven't done anything /tg/-related in years >decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 76
File: UCMfleet.jpg (434 KB, 2128x639) Image search: [Google]
UCMfleet.jpg
434 KB, 2128x639
>haven't done anything /tg/-related in years
>decide to try some mini wargaming shit
>look up what's around in the scene
>decide Dropzone Commander looks kinda cool and has Dropfleet Commander coming out soon with planned interplay
>pic related
>head over to the LGS
>haven't checked this place out yet, moved here less than a year ago
>"Hey, you guys wouldn't happen to have any Dropzone Commander stuff, would you?"
>"Uh, sure, over here"
>he leads me to a shelf in the corner with a few dusty boxes of Bolt Action minis stacked up
>"Uhh... That's Bolt Action. Do you have Dropzone Commander stuff? Does any regulars play it here by any chance?"
>he shows me the 40k section
>"Well, people here always end up coming back to this. People played Dropzone Commander for a bit, but then it kinda dropped off."
>"That's neat. I'll see if I can get some of the guys I work with into it or something. If all else fails, I'll just collect & paint for a while."
>"Oh, okay. I guess I can order it from you. I'll ask my distributor. He'll either have it or he'll order it. His usual excuse is his stuff is on a boat from China or something."
>"Okay, cool."
>give him my contact information
>watch some guys play Warmahordes for a bit before leaving
That was in May. I called and asked about the order a couple of weeks ago and he said it just wasn't there yet.
What the shit.
>>
>a wargame that isn't 40k, Warmachine, or X-Wing isn't popular

Why the fuck are you surprised. Are you morons actually so deluded that you think your niche games are actually popular? I mean, DzC is good and Dropfleet is amazing, but don't even pretend it even has a viable playerbase. You don't even have a single fucking thread on /tg/. Even Infinity and the other faggots can manage at least one general, although today I saw someone try to make an Infinity non-general thread and it got like 4 replies so lol at idiots who think Infinity has a playerbase.
>>
>>48269881
No need to be a cunt about things mate.

>>48269612
Did you already pay for it or any reservation fees man?
>>
>>48269881
You admit DzC is good and DfC is great, then get butthurt when someone wants to play it. Kill yourself.
I'm not bitching that it isn't popular, I'm bitching that the store owner apparently sucks GW's dick so hard he wont help people play other games.

>>48269992
Thankfully not.
>>
>>48269612
sounds like a shitty LGS.

Try looking on facebook. there may be a local group or groups for gamers you can find dropzone players through.
>>
>>48269612
I really wanted to like this game. The rules were great, a lot of good models, just too expensive for two decently sized forces due to the lack of player base.
>>
>>48269612
Why didn't you order from Spartan games website?
>>
>>48269881
>infinity
>no player base

Kek at dumbass 40babby. Infinity is starting to chew right into the bloated ass of GW, with, ya know, a functioning ruleset and sick ass minis
>>
>>48270488
There's a local game group on facebook, but membership has to be approved. Approval has been pending since May. This area is just shit, apparently.

>>48270505
I try to support local businesses when I can, especially when they're relevant to my interests. I just didn't know the local business owners were dipshits.
Hell, even the LGS (local *gun* store this time) owner I ordered a couple of guns through was a dick. I think it might just be that these guys know what I do for a living by looking at me and this town hates us.
>>
>>48270505
>Spartan games
Wrong company. A few Hawk Wargames guys used to work there once upon a time, but Hawk is it's own thing.
>>
>>48270610
Some guys at Spartan wanted to make a game like DzC, but Spartan wanted to do Halo.
So they left and formed Hawk.
>>
>>48270549
What do you work with then?
>>
>>48270680
Military. It's not unusual for our guys to end up jumped by locals.
>>
>>48270926
I would think it strange that a gun shop would be hostile towards those serving in the military.
>>
>>48270926
>Jumped by locals.
Are you a russian in ukraine or some shit?
>>
>>48271065
You'd think so. There *is* one LGS in town that's more professional and likes military people, but it's a lot smaller and is 99% ARs.

>>48271084
New Mexico, actually.
>>
>>48269881
such low quality bait

>>48269612
my, now defunct, flgs used to do that, my malifaux order, dicemasters and perry miniatures were all lost in the limbo of "sorry, can't get hold of the distributor".

my take is: if you have guys at work that might be interested, then fuck your flgs and order it online with all the discounts you can find. Play at your house with a couple of beers and pizza (it's what I ended up doing)
>>
>>48271804
Think so?
How long do you guys think I should wait? I really would feel bad if it turned out the guy had actually been telling the truth this whole time and his distributor does just suck.
>>
Seems pretty cool. I'm always interested in space fighting. Is it a full out war game or skirmish?
How much will a fleet cost?

It sucks that only 3 or 4 miniature games get any attention here especially when warham is half or more.
>>
>>48271804
Adding to that, if you're into that sort of scale then look into Horizon Wars, a nice (and pretty cheap) rulebook with generic rules for 6mm sci-fi.

>>48271816
This is what I did when my kings of war rulebook didn't arrived after 3 months:
Me - Did you got a hold of the distributor? Have you made the order yet?
FLGS Owner - No, <random excuse>.
Me - Then forget about it.
>>
kek just looked up the prices and it's still cheeper than gw
>>
>>48269881
You have a point there. Touche, anon.
>>
>>48271887
Yeah, it's kinda funny that people bitch about the price for what are, by all accounts and reviews, very well-done minis and say everybody should just pay even more for worse-quality minis that are a bit bigger.
>>
File: 1500pt_UCM_1024x1024.jpg (247 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1500pt_UCM_1024x1024.jpg
247 KB, 1024x683
>>48271841
DzC, from what I've seen, is pretty much just skirmish with 1500pt games being the supposed "sweet spot."
DfC, though, I have no idea. I haven't even seen any videos of full matches on youtube yet. Maybe some will pop up after GenCon this year.
The cool part, IMO, is the planned interplay. The main objective in the space game (played high orbit, low orbit, and I think high atmo) is to take spots on the map by dropping ground forces on it. I assume that's where the interplay is going to come in. You can get some pretty crazy scale going if you're trying to take multiple points simultaneously and actually playing them.
>>
File: IMG_3935.jpg (280 KB, 1600x1168) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3935.jpg
280 KB, 1600x1168
>>48271841
>>48272098
Found a German battle report...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=driMTJWlQKA
>>
>>48270648
Why? All they had to do was wait six months until Spartan's ADHD hit again.
>>
>>48272251
That might have something to do with why they left too.
>>
>>48271894
Touché? The guy's fucking retarded, Infinity is pretty popular.
>>
>>48272303
Just like Spartan's playerbase, rite?
>>
>>48272325
Yeah, Infinity is by far the biggest scifi game at my store. Just started an escalation league too, so its getting even bigger.
>>
So, stealth DzC thread? Phase II is coming out pretty soon and looks just fine, I like seeing all the commander minis getting generic releases.
>>
>>48269612
the real issue with that game setting, is that the models are not prepainted. Would solve a lot of its issues.
>>
>>48275133

I just want to know when my Dropfleet stuff is going to arrive.
>>
>>48275332
I was wondering where you were.
>>
File: klendathu drop.gif (870 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
klendathu drop.gif
870 KB, 200x150
>>48269612
Speaking of Dropfleet, when are the backer rewards going out? It's mid July and I haven't heard anything.
>>
>>48270648
When I talked to Dave there or four years ago at TempleCon he said it was because they wouldn't let him make rules suggestions because he was "just a sculptor". So he wrote a ruleset, a setting ,sculpted and painted four factions, and released it as basically a "fuck you" to Spartan.

And almost as soon as he did they announced Firestorm Planetfall.
>>
>>48275037
>>48272325
Will agree, it has a pretty strong following at my FLGS too. Rankings at my FLGS are as follows: W40k>Infinity>Dropzone

>>48276122
Ha ha, wow.
>>
>>48269881

I swear to god there's nothing more pathetic than a corporate bootlicker
>>
Here is my Dropzone list. r8,h8,extermin8

Standard Army UCM
Clash: 1495/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]

Field Command [500 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [132 pts]

Armored Formation [308 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]

Armored Formation [222 pts]
Katana Squad: 6x Katana [222 pts]

Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]

Air Wing [246 pts]
Archangel Squad: 2x Archangel [134 pts]
Seraphim Squad: Seraphim [112 pts]

Still need to buy the Praetorians and the Seraphim. Though I wonder if I should get a Retaliator instead.
>>
>>48276396
question, why the 3 sabre, and 6 katana?, also for 1500 pts that list is very lite on AA, especially reliable AA, youve basically only got the rapiers that can do anything reactively, and your opponent will know this. Those will get wasted and then he will control the skies as the drones are fairly managable.

Id suggest figuring out what you want to use as AT better so its more focused and adding at least another squad of reliable AA units (non FM)
>>
>>48276847
Are they? I thought everybody bitched about Ferrum drone being OP.
>>
>>48276396
I personally like the list, though it is worth noting the archangels are not going to be reliable at all times. The Ferrum works as AA with the Rapiers, and when you have the archangels you're going to really rule the skies. I think the list in general is very flexible. If you didn't have those praetorians (who I assume you'll nominate as FACs) I'd be a bit more nervous but those were pretty good picks. Just remember you will be playing slowly, especially with those katanas rolling on without a dropship.

>>48275342
Mailed out by the end of July is the hope, here by end of August is the hopes. Latest update said they were organizing and packing everything, and that now was the time to let them know if you were changing address or had any concerns. There'll be a pre-launch event on August 20th, so you can bet they'll have everything shipped out by then.
>>
>>48269612
Do as you said you would do. Get a two-player starter set, paint it up, and bring it over to the store and see if anyone is interested in trying. If you have any buddies who are into tabletop games see if you can get them into it. Don't listen to the haters, DzC is a rad game with awesome designs.
>>
>>48277813
They are considered "op" because they can do everything, at, aa, scout. However they can only do one thing at a time. If you have hem hunting aircraft, they aren't being at, and the reverse is true.
>>
>>48279737
its kind of funny how useful flexibility is in DzC considering how bad it is elsewhere. Good demonstration on how preventing someone from doing a certain job makes flexibility so much better.
>>
>>48271219
Where? If you are in ABQ, Active Imagination up in the northeast side of town carries DZC stuff on the shelves.
>>
>>48282534

Definitely. It's one of the reasons the Helios is such a heavy lifter for PHR.
>>
>>48283922
you know up until about 2 months ago I thought AA got a -2 penalty for hitting ground units. Running Helioses makes way more sense now that I know otherwise.
>>
>>48283413
Clovis.
>>
File: PHR_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg (279 KB, 639x1058) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg
279 KB, 639x1058
Oh boy, stealth D*C thread; time to post ships to keep this thread alive as long as possible.

Feel free to ask for any particular ship or faction, I think I've saved all the official images; starting off with the sprues.
>>
File: PHR_Sprue_Frigate.jpg (215 KB, 639x802) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Sprue_Frigate.jpg
215 KB, 639x802
>>48284928
Of interesting note is that for pretty much every cruiser sprue (except possibly the scourge), there is only enough weaponry to make a single cruiser. This also means that for every heavy cruiser you build, it forces you to build a light cruiser.

TL;DR: Magnetize your shit, dudes.
>>
File: Scourge_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg (219 KB, 639x898) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg
219 KB, 639x898
>>
>>48284949
interesting limitation. I'm gonna need to buy magnets and practice drilling then, I suppose. any recommendation on magnets? I'm gonna assume 1/16 by 1/32 sized, to keep them minimally sized.
>>
File: Scourge_Sprue_Frigate.png (408 KB, 636x956) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Sprue_Frigate.png
408 KB, 636x956
>>
File: Shaltari_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg (195 KB, 639x966) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg
195 KB, 639x966
>>48284994
>any recommendation on magnets? I'm gonna assume 1/16 by 1/32 sized, to keep them minimally sized.
Really, it just depends on how big the minis actually are when you measure them.

KnJ sells magnets really cheap anyways, so it's not too much of a bother if you buy too many of the wrong size; and they ship pretty quick if you're in the states.
>>
File: Shaltari_Sprue_Frigate.jpg (248 KB, 639x944) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_Sprue_Frigate.jpg
248 KB, 639x944
>>
File: UCM_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg (118 KB, 639x410) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Sprue_Cruiser.jpg
118 KB, 639x410
Oh, and it looks like the other exception is possibly the Shaltari for heavy cruisers.
For PHR and UCM, however, we can see that each sprue only comes with one burn through and one prow cannon battery, when heavy cruisers require two of each (in general).
>>
File: UCM_Sprue_Frigate.jpg (105 KB, 638x407) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Sprue_Frigate.jpg
105 KB, 638x407
>>
Playing EDF with some friends led to an epiphany on how to paint the UCM from the 2-player starter I have sitting around.
>>
>>48285189
Pics?
>>
>>48269881
people like you are the reason why Hillary and Trump get nominated to be president
>>
>>48285684
The idea just hit me, so I won't have anything painted for a while.
>>
File: dzc7.jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dzc7.jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>48285952
if the models were prepainted..

>>48276396
still want to know what the thought is with 3 sabre/6katana
>>
>>48286026
>if the models were prepainted..
nice.meme.

Also, is anyone else a bit squicked by that double hinge? It doesn't look like that tank would turn so well, with how long it is.

Gun is fucking amazing, though.
>>
>>48286076
makes sense given how it has to be transported, dont want to design a whole new medium transport for one unit, also would possibly have some side to side sway, which doesnt fit into the detail at only 10 mm scale
>>
>>48286163
The dropships are long enough that the tank doesn't need to fold, though.
>>
Don't listen to people saying that there's no community for dropzone. I know things are a little different across the pond, but here in the UK, I have a gaming club where I play DzC most weeks. Not just that, but there are enough tournaments going around that you can go to one every few months or so. The community is building, and it's building because it's 300% the game Warhammer 40k ever was.
>>
>>48286392
it would need to be able to move a bit in the middle to allow it to traverse rougher terrain
>>
Man, those models look cool as fuck. Is there much of a story/fluff aspect?

>tfw 40k is the only wargame anyone plays near me

I mean, I actually like 40k, but fuck. I've heard there's a bit of a Firestorm Armada scene though so I guess I'll play that.
>>
>>48286076
>>48286163
Perhaps the double hinge links to some kind of swivel under the first hull?
I can't tell without seeing the model.
>>
File: PHR_Frigate_Pandora.jpg (56 KB, 637x326) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Frigate_Pandora.jpg
56 KB, 637x326
>>48286465
>Man, those models look cool as fuck. Is there much of a story/fluff aspect?
Not nearly as much raw word count as 40k, but there's definitely a fleshed our history behind the setting.
It's more of a "history book" style fluff, as any "first person/battle" accounts tend to be pretty short.
>>
>>48286465
the way the setting is working at the moment, is an evolving story, the first rulebook set up the world and backstory and started the conflict that everyone is participating in. The first expansion rulebook advanced the story forward with updates on what has happened after x days of engagement, with some fluff snippets and little stories from here and there. There is a new expansion rule book due out soon, this will likely further continue to expand the story, add some new characters and some fluff snippets.

Neat thing is that setting is also somewhat loose enough like 40k that you can pull in your own special snowflake force/story and not have it ruin something somewhere else
>>
File: ucm.jpg (19 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
ucm.jpg
19 KB, 360x360
>>48286479
The only problems I have with DC's fluff is that it's all written from the perspective of the UCM and, partially because of this, everything about the PHR, Scourge, and Shaltari is kept vague.
I'm sure it'll get fleshed out over time, though.
>>
>>48286479
>It's more of a "history book" style fluff, as any "first person/battle" accounts tend to be pretty short.

That's fine. I'm more into worldbuilding-style fluff anyway, in most cases. It's rare for people to write POV stuff in a competent manner that actually fleshes the background out.

I looked over their site and it looks like an interesting setting. I was hoping there'd be more info on the Shaltari or w/e though (I've already forgotten how to spell it, forgive me). I'll check it out later.

>>48286547

Sounds good. I was hoping there'd be actual info in the rulebook.

tl;dr I guess I'll look into it, I can probably rope my roommate into playing it with me if I pay for most of it and paint it... lel
>>
Also, how many points does the 2-man starter set give you? (And how many points is an "average" game? Looks to be something like 1500?)
>>
File: IMG1b_Box_Contents_1024x1024.jpg (254 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG1b_Box_Contents_1024x1024.jpg
254 KB, 960x640
>>48286632
500pts UCM, 500pts Scourge
Also a bunch of cardstock buildings to put together, some tokens, templates, a ruler, a bunch of dice, and a map thing to play on
1500pts is "standard," but 500 is doable. Some people end up going in on two starter sets and swapping the minis for whichever faction they prefer
>>
>>48286688

Thank you for answering those questions m8, I appreciate it.

That actually looks like a pretty good deal. The cardstock buildings seem pretty useful since I don't have anything at all in 10 mm scale. Is 2 starter sets actually a viable force (like I've heard 30K/HH players say the Betrayal at Calth set is, for example)? Or is that going to be a lot of duplicates? By which I mean, 500 pts may be "doable," but if you bought two of them for a 1000 pt army would you have a bunch of "tax" units or stuff that would be useless in a standard game?

At this point I'm seriously considering trying to split at least 1 of those boxes, but the limitation of it only coming with the 2 "main" factions is a bit discouraging. I guess I can deal with that though. I also noticed on the site that there are starter sets for the other armies as well, but they seem to be a fair bit more expensive and don't come with buildings etc. So basically I'm just trying to figure out at the moment whether it would be better to go with that starter or just get the rules and then individually buy starter sets for whichever factions we prefer. If the starter set provides enough benefits over the other method then I'll almost certainly just get that.
>>
>>
>>48286742

Shit, I just realized they have free downloadable building files on their site. I guess that solves one problem.
>>
File: UCM-Ships.jpg (101 KB, 960x638) Image search: [Google]
UCM-Ships.jpg
101 KB, 960x638
>>48286479
>>48286745
Ah, so it IS you.
>>
File: Scourge_Cruiser_Wyvern.jpg (113 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Cruiser_Wyvern.jpg
113 KB, 678x451
>>48286883
Salute, anon; I would have thought my filenames would give it away.
>>
>>48286742
Starter sets offer generly solid core units that you need to form your basic army lists. Some people get 2 of a given starter to cheaply form a solid core, then expand from there with more exotic or specialized units.

A decent way to go about expanding is to do the srater stuff first, followed by an HQ and command deck, then some scouts.

Each fanction other than Resistance comes with either a resin single faction starter (more expensive), or a plastic starter (less expensive, slightly lower detail than the resin). So if you want particular factions not represented by the 2-player starter, feel free to consider the ones that you like. However, those don't come with a rulebook, the nice cardstock terrain, or tokens, so make of that what you will.
>>
File: 02-Dropfleet-Avenger-DZC-Scale.jpg (211 KB, 800x300) Image search: [Google]
02-Dropfleet-Avenger-DZC-Scale.jpg
211 KB, 800x300
>>48286908
Need more 10mm scale
>>
File: 1448850826395.jpg (1 MB, 2500x2315) Image search: [Google]
1448850826395.jpg
1 MB, 2500x2315
>>48284949
Welp, I guess its time to learn how to drill and magnetize minis. Also, does anyone have the UCM version of pic related?
>>
>>48286742
It works, but you need an HQ and then probably one model you really like to bump it up to 500 points. Thankfully the units in the starter set are really the building blocks for most army, you'll usually see a few rapiers and such in every build.
>>
>>48272070
poorfag who hates GW here, to be honest GW's minis end up being the cheapest(not as cheap as historicals) thanks to the big second hand market. I often end up buying GW just for the relatively good prices eventhough i would prefer other models.
>>
File: PHR_BattleCruiser_Leonidas.jpg (54 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
PHR_BattleCruiser_Leonidas.jpg
54 KB, 960x640
>>48287171
Of course
>>
File: UCM_Avenger0.jpg (126 KB, 801x423) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Avenger0.jpg
126 KB, 801x423
>>48287171
>>48291116
>>
File: UCM_Avenger1.jpg (177 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Avenger1.jpg
177 KB, 1000x667
>>48291180
>>
File: UCM_Avenger2.jpg (212 KB, 1153x865) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Avenger2.jpg
212 KB, 1153x865
>>
File: UCM_Avenger3.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Avenger3.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: UCM_Avenger4.jpg (382 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Avenger4.jpg
382 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>48284949
>>48284994
Or standard cruiser
i don't think it's quite the limitation it seems at first glance. remember that you'll also want troopships / orbital bombardment / burnthroughs etc.
I was worried by this at first, but on reflection i really don't think its a big deal.
>>
>>48291380
Excepr for the PHR, as their troopship also has a prow weapon.
>>
>>48290596
the value for DZC comes in at the fact that you dont need that many models to play at 1500 points the "standard" You can get a 1500 point army together for about 300 ish US dollars buying full price, less if you can find deals online for starters or other things.

I think a standard 40k army even at second hand is going to be a little bit more than that, unless you get a really good deal.
>>
>>
File: Scourge_Frigate_Djinn.jpg (91 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Frigate_Djinn.jpg
91 KB, 678x451
>>
>>48293556
Is that some loss?
>>
>>48293556

That ship always looks like a wizard hat to me.
>>
>>48285058
> each sprue only comes with one burn through and one prow cannon battery, when heavy cruisers require two of each (in general).

Could you get away with using the smaller outrider gauss cannons maybe? You could make a Carrier that doesn't have those? I mean, I'm making a St Petersberg with mine, so it's fine, that leaves me with enough batteries and two further Burnthroughs for whatever (since I'm getting that extra cruiser sprue for backing.)

PHR Heavy cruisers seem to all have custom prow guns, so you might have a lot more flexibility with the PHR starter fleet?
>>
File: Scourge_Frigate_Harpy.jpg (99 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Frigate_Harpy.jpg
99 KB, 678x451
>>48293577
Possibly?

>>48293646
Damn, I can't unsee it now

>>48293699
Possibly, it'll just come down to what you want to make and what we end up with in the sprues.
>>
File: UCM_LightCruiser_Osaka0.jpg (79 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
UCM_LightCruiser_Osaka0.jpg
79 KB, 678x451
>>
>>48294644
Why does that thing exist? Is it just there to get another cruiser on the field from leftover points?
>>
File: UCM Cruisers.jpg (195 KB, 680x696) Image search: [Google]
UCM Cruisers.jpg
195 KB, 680x696
>>48295055
unless you're going weapons free (giving you a major spike, and sacrificing the ability to turn or change orbital layer) you can only fire one weapon system, so a lot of the time you'll only need one set of guns. why pay for more?

>>48293699
looking at pic related, of the 9 ships shown, 6 leave you with a spare burnthrough laser and 5 would leave spare heavy turrets.
Unless you really want a lot of one specific heavy cruiser, you shouldn't have any issues (obviously if they release more ships that could mix this up a bit)

I'm also planning on magnetising because the ucm turrets cry out for being able to swivel
>>
File: UCM_BattleCruiser_Atlantis0.jpg (83 KB, 678x450) Image search: [Google]
UCM_BattleCruiser_Atlantis0.jpg
83 KB, 678x450
>>48295055
Pretty much; you sacrifice some lighter (but probably more accurate) guns in favor of taking solely the more powerful guns.
It also means that light cruisers can always move and shoot, and lose nothing from not going weapons free.
>>
File: Shaltari_BattleCruiser_Adamant.jpg (88 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_BattleCruiser_Adamant.jpg
88 KB, 960x640
>>
File: PHR_StarterFleet.jpg (84 KB, 636x401) Image search: [Google]
PHR_StarterFleet.jpg
84 KB, 636x401
>>
File: PHR_LightCruiser_Theseus.jpg (55 KB, 636x345) Image search: [Google]
PHR_LightCruiser_Theseus.jpg
55 KB, 636x345
>>
File: Moscow.jpg (627 KB, 2362x2188) Image search: [Google]
Moscow.jpg
627 KB, 2362x2188
>>48287488
Here you go.
Shaltari shipgirl with porcupine hair and hula hoops when?
>>
>>48299150
dozen eyed scourge human-host be-tentacled shipgirl when
>>
File: Scourge_StarterFleet.jpg (121 KB, 677x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_StarterFleet.jpg
121 KB, 677x451
>tfw no pics of the Scourge battleship yet
>tfw no pics of the PHR battleship yet
>>
>>48299150
Might as well be a tank girl at the same time
>>
>>48269612
>That was in May. I called and asked about the order a couple of weeks ago and he said it just wasn't there yet.
>What the shit.

40k player here: I have experienced similar stuff with my 'F'GLS. Why is it that common for them to simply not give a shit about getting/ordering stuff they do not have on the shelves? Whatever people say about GW stores, when I order stuff there, it just works.
>>
>tfw you FLGS is excellent about getting special orders in on time
>tfw you can get the stuff on miniature market far quicker and about 10-20% cheaper
I want to support my store, but fuck me.
>>
File: UCM_Frigate_Toulon.jpg (100 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Frigate_Toulon.jpg
100 KB, 678x451
>>
>>48299150
Liberation is coming! With glorious thighs.
>>
File: Shaltari_LightCruiser_Azurite.jpg (82 KB, 637x424) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_LightCruiser_Azurite.jpg
82 KB, 637x424
I have to say, the Shaltari light cruisers have to be my favorite design.
They just look so silly and abstract.
>>
>>48301853
They remind me of a 70s scifi B-movie prop.
>>
File: Shaltari_Frigate_Opal.jpg (102 KB, 637x424) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_Frigate_Opal.jpg
102 KB, 637x424
>>48301902
Same, but in a good way.
>>
File: UCM_Battleship_Beijing6.jpg (380 KB, 1000x728) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Battleship_Beijing6.jpg
380 KB, 1000x728
>>
>>48302265
hnnng
>>
File: UCM_Battleship_Beijing5.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Battleship_Beijing5.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>48302324
The best
>>
>>48302324

I don't even play Dropzone anything and I really like the aesthetics of the UCM fleet.
>>
File: UCM_BattleCruiser_Avalon0.jpg (57 KB, 960x512) Image search: [Google]
UCM_BattleCruiser_Avalon0.jpg
57 KB, 960x512
>>48302400
In my mind, the UCM is the perfect example of the "generic militaristic human bricks" aesthetic done right in an interesting way.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>48295716
>>48302467
Just how poorly endowed were the engineers that designed the Atlantis and Avalon?
>>
>>48303042
Ever drop an almond on a shag carpet?
>>
>>48299150
Thanks anon.
>>
File: wave-motion-gun-fireing-o.gif (4 MB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
wave-motion-gun-fireing-o.gif
4 MB, 320x214
>>48302467
I can wait to see what that burn through can do. I wonder if we will get any crazy super weapons?
>>
>>48305406

Probably a 4 dice burnthrough with a REALLY high max damage limit. The real key is that the Avalon can just fire the main gun without having to go weapons free and light itself up like a christmas tree.
Where you place that in your initiative stack might be interesting as well. You want to light something up with it so your Battleships or other heavies can pound it from outside enemy range, but first you need something to get close enough or spike itself so you can see it with the Avalon.

Hmm.
>>
>>48305579
>You want to light something up with it so your Battleships or other heavies can pound it from outside enemy range, but first you need something to get close enough or spike itself so you can see it with the Avalon.

That will probably be what frigates are for and if that is the case, that puts the Avalon on sniper duty.

I'm curious to see how assault craft will work.

I wonder if a Kadeshi build is possible?
>>
>>48305646

>That will probably be what frigates are for and if that is the case, that puts the Avalon on sniper duty.

True, there's also the fact that this is a game about taking planetary objectives, so area denial alone is important.
>>
File: dimensional submarine 2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dimensional submarine 2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>48305684
What I think would be interesting is if ships that were outside of sensor range were replaced with tokens or blips. It might be a fun way to represent nebulas or some sort of sensor disruption.
>>
>>48305893
Like BFG:A?
>>
>>48305893

You'd need a referee, hell why not it make it fully like Battletech double blind rules?
>>
>>48303042
About as poorly endowed as the Shaltari who designed the Obsidian.
>>
File: PHR_Cruiser_Ajax0.jpg (55 KB, 678x228) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Cruiser_Ajax0.jpg
55 KB, 678x228
>>
>>48307505
At least they're small, yo they have the excuse of it being proportional to the rest of their bodies.
>>
>>48269612
>His usual excuse is his stuff is on a boat from China or something."
That's bullshit; DzC stuff is all manufactured in Britain as far as I'm aware..
>>
File: PHR_Cruiser_Orion.jpg (63 KB, 637x424) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Cruiser_Orion.jpg
63 KB, 637x424
>>
>>48286745
Are those two burnthroughs on that ship?
>>
>>48309011
Yep
>>
>>48309043
Man, that's going to be a pain with Pandoras pinging high value targets for it.
>>
File: UCM_Frigate_Lima.jpg (94 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Frigate_Lima.jpg
94 KB, 678x451
>>48309065
Don't forget the Limas, which can give minor spikes to enemy ships.
>>
>>48309089
So that's how ewar is gonna work, eh?
>>
File: PHR_Frigate_Calypso.jpg (66 KB, 637x424) Image search: [Google]
PHR_Frigate_Calypso.jpg
66 KB, 637x424
>>48309585
As far as we know, the Lima gives spikes to enemy ships, the Calypso reduces the signature size of a friendly ship, and the Opal buffs the shields of Shaltari ships.

No idea what the Scourge ECM/ECCM frigate does, or if they even have one.
>>
File: Scourge_HeavyCruiser_Shenlong0.jpg (119 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_HeavyCruiser_Shenlong0.jpg
119 KB, 678x451
>>
>>48309719
I think the Scourge ships have stealth drives and cloaking devices.
>>
File: Scourge_Frigate_Charybdis.jpg (95 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Frigate_Charybdis.jpg
95 KB, 678x451
>>48311335
True, but I don't think they have a frigate that does anything like ECM/ECCM.

This one could possibly be that, or it could be for orbital bombardment.
>>
File: Scourge_Frigate_Scylla.jpg (94 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Frigate_Scylla.jpg
94 KB, 678x451
>>48311497
This one could possibly be the ECM/ECCM/, but those tubes don't really scream "cloaking device" to me, especially when compared to (cont)
>>
File: Scourge_BattleCruiser_Basilisk.jpg (89 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_BattleCruiser_Basilisk.jpg
89 KB, 960x640
>>48311512
the Basilisk's cloaking device, the orange pods on the front.
>>
>>48270549
>I think it might just be that these guys know what I do for a living by looking at me and this town hates us.

W-what do you do for a living, OP?

It isn't anything harmful, is it?
>>
>>48311774
See >>48270926
>>
File: Shaltari_Cruiser_Amber.jpg (101 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Shaltari_Cruiser_Amber.jpg
101 KB, 678x451
>>
File: PHR_HeavyCruiser_Hector.jpg (78 KB, 637x424) Image search: [Google]
PHR_HeavyCruiser_Hector.jpg
78 KB, 637x424
>>
>>
>>48313140
Can not to see all the battleships, if that thing is any indication they're going to be massive.

I wonder if we'll get to see designs in the rulebook when it ships out?
>>
>>48313244
>I wonder if we'll get to see designs in the rulebook when it ships out?
Considering how the battleships will be part of the general release and not an expansion, absolutely.

I am extremely hyped for the corvettes though, and even moreso the planned destroyers.

I also heard that at some later date, each faction will be getting a single dreadnought.
It'll be neat to see if we get a second battleship or second cruiser hull for the factions down the line, as well.
>>
>>48313487
>UCM dreadnought of massive proportions, able to help invade a continent or blow up a minor battle fleet solo.
>Scourge dreadnought is a tentacled monster that is constantly spewing plasma, and goes faster than some factions crusiers
>PHR dreadnought is the HMS Warspites, slow, pondering, but with bristling guns
>I can't even tell what the Shaltari dreadnought is but our battle group is dead and the porcupines are laughing
>>
File: ragnarov[1].jpg (680 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
ragnarov[1].jpg
680 KB, 2560x1440
>>48313819
>UCM dreadnought is pretty much pic related
>Scourge dreadnought is actually an orbital manufatory/breeding creche, and can occupy entire clusters by itself
>PHR dreadnought has very few weapons, but all of them are turreted burn-throughs
>Shaltari dreadnought is the bastard child of circus gyroscope rides and an aeonic orb.
>>
>>48313890
>turreted burnthroughs
>just coasting along the edge of the map, and whenever your fleet detects the enemy for you, release a burst of burnthrough that highlights the ship in question for everyone to vaporizes it if it survives the dreadnought attack
>>
>>48313921
>it's not actually turreted burn-throughs
>it's a broadside of burn-throughs
>>
File: UCM_Battleship_Beijing1.jpg (75 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Battleship_Beijing1.jpg
75 KB, 600x402
>>
>>
File: Scourge_LightCruiser_Strix.jpg (85 KB, 678x451) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_LightCruiser_Strix.jpg
85 KB, 678x451
>>
>>
File: UCM_Battleship_Beijing4.jpg (64 KB, 960x316) Image search: [Google]
UCM_Battleship_Beijing4.jpg
64 KB, 960x316
>>
File: 1466653561227.png (464 KB, 489x674) Image search: [Google]
1466653561227.png
464 KB, 489x674
>my list of cool-sounding PHR ship names now covers all mass classes
I'm ready for space, boys.
>>
>>48317267
Post that list, pal
>>
File: Scourge_Cruisers.jpg (204 KB, 678x833) Image search: [Google]
Scourge_Cruisers.jpg
204 KB, 678x833
>>
>>48317295
Greek alphabet (Alpha, Beta, etc.) for Frigates, since there's going to be a ton of them and giving ultra-generic names to the little guys feels like a PHR thing to do.

Anemoi (Boreus, Zephyrus, etc.) and various other elemental demigods for light capital ships and destroyers if/when those pop up.

High visual magnitude stars (Polaris, Rigel, Spica, Achernar, etc.) for heavy capital ships.
Shout out to Re: Zero for recently reminding me that stars have cool names

I was going to say constellation names for carriers, but I'm pretty sure that's end up having a lot of overlap with the class names in the actual rules. Possibly Greek titans instead.
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 76

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.