[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Crazy emperors, cannibalistic dictators and god-kings >A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
>Crazy emperors, cannibalistic dictators and god-kings
>A constant struggle between civilized urban life and savage tribal life
>Religious conflict between two major foreign religions and indigenous beliefs
>Witchdoctors, curses, voodoo, fetishes and shamans
>Breathtaking and diverse landscapes
>More civil wars than you can spit at
>Wild beasts that eat humans for breakfast, sometimes literally
>Shady multinationals and commies getting investing in morally dubious causes
>Loadsa resources everyone wants
>Actually some pretty impressive architecture if you know where to look

Is it me, or would Africa legit make an awesome setting for a modern or near-future campaign? No trolling.
>>
>>48261117
>inb4 some edgy 28 year old 14 year old decides to spam the thread with 'nigger nigger nigger'

To be honest any continent has enough interesting about it to warrant a setting. What area specifically would you set your campaign? Would you allow actual magic? What's the history of this world?
>>
>>48261117
This guy >>48261181 has it right.
OP, you described 90% of human history and every continent except Antarctica.
>>
Far Cry 2.
>>
Sounds potentially pretty awesome.
>>
File: beasts-of-no-nation-pic.jpg (167 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
beasts-of-no-nation-pic.jpg
167 KB, 1280x720
>>48261117
Sounds pretty awesome to me so far. It could get very grimdark, if you're into that sort of thing. Maybe dark comedy too.

Watch Beasts of No Nation on Netflix for a pretty grimdark portrayal of being an African child soldier. Everyone's poor, uneducated, and brutally violent and cruel.
>>
>>48261117
Could you expand on fetish
>>
>>48261325

Not the sexual kind.
>>
File: beastsofnonation.jpg (338 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
beastsofnonation.jpg
338 KB, 1200x720
>>48261277
Samefag here.
TAKE THAT FUCKING BRIDGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-qSlWfP1E
>>
>>48261353
That's a shame. Still cool. Worship a bottle and maybe a God comes outta it.
>>
>>48261181
Black man
Black man
Black man
>>
File: [WINNING SMILE].png (120 KB, 1245x217) Image search: [Google]
[WINNING SMILE].png
120 KB, 1245x217
>>48261448

That's better.
>>
Yes. Now go and make shit done. Write out power parties, clashes of interests, commoner characters, maps and recourses.
>>
Chronicle the struggles of the heir to the throne of a great empire of the savannahs to reclaim his throne and reunite the empire as it dissolves into civil war. Fight dinosaurs, slay witches, convince Not!Axum, Not!Kongo, Not!Britain, etcetera to aid your cause, and explain to Not!Benin, Not!Liberia and Not!Hausa city-states why it's best they rejoin the empire. Be too cruel, and people will ally against you; too soft, and your allies will be attacked by desert nomads, corsairs, and others.
>>
File: vpi93b[1].jpg (22 KB, 577x435) Image search: [Google]
vpi93b[1].jpg
22 KB, 577x435
>>48262409
>Not playing a murderhobo
>>
>>48261181

Were some of them kings and shit?
>>
>>48261117
Africa is an incredibly interesting place, and interesting places always make for good inspiration. However you may run into some problems with peoples pre-conceived notions about it.

I dont mean /pol/ either, many people seem to consider Africa either "Continent full of poor people we should help" or "That place with no tech and a bunch of war". These views could cause problems in games ( "How dare you say these people are Violent and Superstitious are you implying Black People are savages?" / "What do you mean, an African City exists? ") But pick your players carefully, or be able to inform them very well.
>>
The people of Africa are much more diverse than the typical stereotypes that are discussed in Africa-related threads on /tg/ especially before it's colonization.
Let me tell you about the Bambara people who have a myth about a hero name Bakaridjan Kone.
Their ruling elite were warrior kings who would raid other settlements for slaves, livestock and horses. They were basically vikings on horses instead of boats. Basically the more you plundered the more you were celebrated and sung about by the Djeli, which were the bard-historians of this culture.
In this culture slaves are more like peasants who can eventually own land or buy their freedom. Bakaridjan Kone was famed for treating his own slaves exceptionally well by gifting them with land and livestock from his plunders.
The Bambara people controlled the Segu empire in Mali, but Bambara is a word that means Unbeliever since they were not Muslim but employed fortune tellers who used the koran and kola nuts to predict the future. Their true name is lost but their myths still exist. Unfortunately, the bard-historians were exceptionally skilled at turning real history into legend. The king of Segu of the Bakaridjan Kone myth really existed but it is unknown how much of the myth is real.
The part where Bakaridjan Kone defeats a Jinn is probably fake, as is the hunter whose magic gun can kill 3 men with a single shot.
They also believed that only honorable and courageous warriors could fight in battle, and at the end of the story a slave shoots Bakaridjan Kone in the chest but the bullets bounce off since the slave doesn't have a divine right to attack a warrior.
There is another culture whose god sought a way to give magic powers to shamans in a fair way, and the god's friend suggested he have the magic powers fall from the sky so that the shamans have to catch the powers. I've always wanted to use this myth for one of my settings.
>>
>>48261181
>To be honest any continent has enough interesting about it to warrant a setting.
Modern Europe is fairly boring being honest, all what you got are massive amount of police you cannot win against and migrants.
>>
>>48263179
>migrants
Give it a few decades and I'm afraid it'll get very interesting.
>>
>>48261117
Actually, that sounds pretty awesome...
>>
>>48262649
To be honest, I think this is one of the few settings where a murderhobo isn't unrealistic.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.