[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best system to run a Destiny game in? Vancian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: WS0I4CPz.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
WS0I4CPz.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
What's the best system to run a Destiny game in?

Vancian casting is obviously out. Is there a system with kill-based ability recharge, or a similar mechanic?

I also want to include a loot mechanic of some sort. How can I make each weapon feel different without 15 different stats for each gun?

dismantle miiiines, Yessss?
>>
>>48260427
I'd honestly use traveller with the liberal application of psionics and swapping out the old school J-Drives for one of the alternative options.

That or figure out how to apply Exalted to SPAAAACE.
>>
>>48260473
Traveller seems a bit too grounded for the SPACE MAGIC of Destiny, and the lack of XP diverges it from the source material.

Not too familiar with Exalted other than the /teej/ memes, what endears it to Destiny?
>>
>>48260427
DH/DW/BC

Just rework how the psyker charges work a bit. It would work. There's enough variance to weapon stats that you can cook up a lot of loot.
>>
If you want the loot system to be somewhat like the game I suggest forcing them to play through the same dungeon several times while you frantically try to generate content that appears different on the surface but is the exact same dungeon as the ones preceding it.

Only once the new dungeons get plugged in do you give the players a real chance of getting loot from the previous ones. And even then it will made useless within hours of playing PVP.
>>
>>48260793
sick (accurate) memes bro. It's full on Stockholm syndrome for us. I guess I'm more looking to replicate the variety of drops and stat rolls, without the depth the game goes to.
>>
>>48261093
>without the depth the game goes to
Kek

I hate the game, but do hope you have the best time at your own table anon.
>>
File: well shit.jpg (65 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
well shit.jpg
65 KB, 306x306
>>48261093
>stockholm syndrome

holy shit how did i not notice this before
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17 KB, 514x344) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17 KB, 514x344
>>48261182
>>48261093

Is it you bought the game at a premium price and feel beholden to play it to you do not regret the money you spent on it?
>>
>>48260427
4e could work if you changed the way players work somehow (maybe like gamma world). There's some mechanical parallels in powers and monsters.
>>
File: b09.gif (286 KB, 500x443) Image search: [Google]
b09.gif
286 KB, 500x443
>>48261210
no, i genuinely don't care that i paid full price for the Y1 bundle and TTK, i want to know why i keep going back to it even though i only play a few games of PvP since there is nothing to do in Pve, then drop it again when i remember that i stopped playing the one thing that is left in the game to do because i absolutely cannot stand the snipers work.

i just want to fling space magic around, and want them to fix scatter grenades in PvP
>>
>>48261210
More the game mechanics, to be honest. You know you're stuck in a horrible never-ending grind-cycle, but then you get a ship drop or an Exotic gun and you feel oh-so-grateful to your Bungie overlords, so it sucks you in for another week until the next 'generous' gift.
>>
>>48261210
I like the game, and I don't grind as some people I know. I've never hit max level, and I've never done super end game content, but I still think I've gotten like 150 or so hours out of the game.

I also really like the lore and design.
>>
>>48261646
>I've never done super end game content
what do you consider regular end game content?
>>
>>48261294
This.

Every so often I'll pop it in to play PvP. Then I have to play PvE to get the latest meta guns.

Then I remember that PvP is a fucking mess and PvE is repetitive as fuck.

Repeat every few months.
>>
>>48261646
Have they improved the lore? I played when it first game out and there was no lore. It was all vague and shitty in a really bad way.

The biggest crime was forcing you to visit their shitty website in order to view it.

Why did they refuse to use a Mass Effect style ingame codex?

Answer is purely financial, they want more traffic to their site to sell more stuff to you.
>>
>>48261672
The raids, Iron Banner, Nightfalls. I've never done Hard Mode Raids or Trials. Mainly because I don't have an actual team.
>>
>>48261739
Eh, maybe. They made a lot of choices that struck me as really odd. The MMO style grinding with no option of pay to win always struck me as weird. It seems like they designed it around monetization, but then chose not to.

As for the lore, yeah it's still mostly in the grimoire but every expansion has added more to it. There's lots of background on the Fallen, Hive, and the Traveller/Darkness war. More Vex as well, and some Cabal stuff. Though, it now seems like Destiny 2 is going to revolve around a full scale Cabal invasion of the system. There's also more little bits of fluff to pick up, and people have gleaned more from the old stuff as well. I like that it's vague, makes it more fun to put the pieces together with other fans.

One of my favorite things that's come out of the grimoire is that the Traveller was planning on abandoning humanity, but Rasputin blew it up with anti-matter weapons so it was forced to defend itself. Also, the entire Book of Sorrows series is dope as hell. http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/enemies/books-of-sorrow

There's just tons of little background things piling up, and it actually strikes me as really good for a table top setting now because they've opened the horizons a little.
>>
>>48261739
To be fair, Bungie has been doing the companion app thing since ODST. I think it's just a design choice, albeit a poor one. The microtransactions only came in this year, and the merch store is on a separate site.
>>48261744
Iron Banana Is good fun, although I feel your pain with the no fireteam problem. Part of my plan was to use the setting on the tabletop to get my group into the vidya so I can finally raid.
>>
>>48261819
>Traveller was planning on abandoning humanity, but Rasputin blew it up

Has that actually been confirmed now?

All the evidence I saw for that was LOL THE TRAVELER LOOKS DAMAGED ON THE BOTTOM
>>
>>48261862
Actually, no. It's never been confirmed, but there are lots of hints that Rasputin was at least capable of doing it. http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/allies/rasputin/ghost-fragment-rasputin-5
>>
>>48261890
Ah right.

The Book of Sorrow is some good shit though. Makes the Hive look too reasonable though.
>>
>>48261832
It isn't a companion app though, not in the sense of the word. It is an App that takes what is vital to understanding the main game, companion implies a little bonus or side benefit, not walling off the plot.
>>
>>48261862
Nah, there are fragments of transcripts from Rasputin which pretty much say it outright.
>>48261739
The lore is also in game a lot more. Rather than Dinklage going 'fascinating!' to himself every couple of minutes, there are actual conversations between characters and the events of the game shape the lore, rather than being a sightseeing tour of the system.
>>
>>48261936
As you move through it you see them get out of control. They end up getting consumed by the Worms and the Sword Logic, and even Oryx him/her self regrets the decisions but understands that it's too late to go back.
>>
File: OryxCinematic.png (522 KB, 848x432) Image search: [Google]
OryxCinematic.png
522 KB, 848x432
>>48261968
My favourite moment is late in the books (40+ or so) when Quria, Blade Transform is trying to simulate Oryx, but can't account for the Worm, or his Darkness-ish-ness. He decides to fuck it and do it anyway, and produces a simulated Aurash - Oryx before his 'ascension'. Needless to say, neither Oryx are particularly pleased with what the other represents...
>>
>>48262050
Honestly the whole middle part where they just roll from civilization to civilization wrecking shit was GOAT.
>>
>>48260427
Stars Without Number is perfect for what you're looking for I think. It's got three classes, the fighter,skill monkey and psyker. The tech level is fairly similar, and the setting is close as well.
>>48261819
Wait wut? Why would the traveller bug the fuck out after having its shit pushed in? Agreed on the book of sorrows, fucking amazing lore, hidden behind a shitty app.
>>
>>48260738

This.
The 40k RPG's are perfect with some tweaking. I'd recommend Black Crusade as a base with maybe some Rogue Trader thrown in there if you want to allow your players to play Eliksni. I'd used a buffed up version of the Kroot for that.
>>
>>48261294
>want them to fix scatter grenades in PvP

Use Nothing Manacles. They turn your scatters into gjallernades again.
>>
>>48262107
That's what it's always done.

Arrive, uplift species, Darkness arrives, Traveller leaves, Darkness destroys or consumes the species. The Fallen were abandoned, and there's real reason the Traveller wouldn't have done the same had Rasputin not blown it up. Variks even wonders what humanity did differently that the Traveller stayed for them, but left for the Fallen. He even comments about the possibility of Fallen Guardians, or the lack thereof.
>>
Somethimg like wild talents or godlike might work
>>
>>48262294
Seems like it could go both ways, as some cards support the theory of the traveler staying because it was tired of running away.
>>
>>48262473
True. The Alpha Lupi stuff talks about that right?

The card here >>48261890 just seems like too big of a Chekhov's gun to me, but maybe it's a red herring.
>>
>>48262241
not what im talking about. sometimes when you throw the grenade it will bounce a few times, then detonate, or it will hit something and not detonate for a second or two so when you land the perfect nade they still live because the grenade didn't split
>>
>>48262509
Correctamundo.
>>
File: Crota-Destiny-Raid_feature.jpg (173 KB, 1080x600) Image search: [Google]
Crota-Destiny-Raid_feature.jpg
173 KB, 1080x600
Oryx and the Hive proscribe the philosophy of the Sword Logic.

The tenets of this philosophy dictate that the strong should conquer and destroy the weak to progress toward the final state of the universe, with a highlander 'there-can-be-only-one' style victory.

To assist this cause, the strong must constantly test each other to keep each other strong. There is no greater expression of love than to try to kill another, as it provides the ultimate test and the ultimate means to strengthen themselves.

By descending into the Hellmouth and slaying Crota, the Guardians expressed a greater love for Crota than Oryx ever could.
>>
>>48262774
then Oryx should have just chucked a moon at him instead of throwing him into the vex timestreams, which is also a form of love
>>
>>48262107
>Stars Without Number is perfect for what you're looking for I think

No. It's an OSR in spaaaaaaace. Characters are not at all powerful (at least not as much as PCs in Destiny), and only one class gets access to "space magic".

For OP I'd recommend Savage Worlds with a Savage Armory random loot generator and some alternate magic system that fits.

Strike! could also work, but rolling random weapons in that one would be a bit of a hassle. Plus you need to change the power recharge mechanic, but that should be easy.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>48262794
He probably did. He murders Savathun and Xivu Arath multiple times in the BoS. I think they actually did that to each other, and subsequently learned to protect themselves from it.

>>48262774
This, ultimately, is what I believe is what led to Oryx's fall. The Oryx we see in game is not the philosopher we see in the Books of Sorrow; instead, he is furious and enraged, snarling at the guardian at any chance he gets. He clearly shows grief for the loss of his son.

This grief is what ultimately has caused his philosophy to unravel. He should be joyous, or at least accepting; Crota was tested, fell and was consumed by one who was stronger, as is right by the sword logic. Instead, he rages against the true inheritor of Crota's might. Whilst he is too far committed to his path to be able to admit it, this either means that he can no longer truly accept the sword logic, or that it cannot be true. Either way, the cornerstone of Oryx's eon-long life was been pulled from under him, and he has nothing left to lean on.
>>
>>48262869
The Guardians break the Sword Logic though. They don't confront Oryx as they ought to, they confront him with Light. They don't replace him either, the whole pyramid of Worm feeding appears to have started to fall apart.
>>
>>48262622

Ah, that. It's something to do with angles. Skip grenades and scatters work similarly in that respect, only skips are more reliable because they're supposed to bounce.
>>
>>48262869
he was looking for a way out of the need for the worms. that is what the oversoul is, and what the warpriest is also apart of. if they could get the oversoul to work in the right way, they could separate themselves from the worm gods to stop being enslaved to them and feeding them. he was just pissed that they killed Crota, not that he can't accept the sword logic anymore. he arrived at that point a long time ago.
>>
File: 1466661955278.gif (401 KB, 245x244) Image search: [Google]
1466661955278.gif
401 KB, 245x244
>>48262923
>mfw toland is gonna come back from the ascendant realms and fuck shit up either as a contender for the throne or as an 'ally' for the guardians

feels good to be a warlock
>>
>>48262970
The throne is ultimately a cage. Oryx' last message to the Guardians that killed him was basically to stop accepting systems that exist in the world. Kill the unkillable, break any chains that hold you down. If Toland tried to take Oryx's throne, the guardians would probably have to kill him.
>>
>>48263016
if he comes back as a contender, then yes, he has to die. the Light and the Traveler demand we REMOVE HIVE. it all part of the shtick

but if he just came back from the realms without going as contender he would be kinda like Eris, a tainted being that we work with to further REMOVE HIVE, either in the form of killing the Sisters or Nocris (if he is still kicking somewhere)
>>
>>48263071
I think the Hive are just about done now. We kinda dismantled their whole operation, and have slapped down anyone that tried to put it back together.

I'm banking on the main bad guys in the next game being the Cabal, given the whole thing where they managed to send a message back to the home world.
>>
>>48262229
I'd actually recommend Deathwatch over the others. It keeps the classes distinct. It also allows for significant differences in and out of armor with plenty of tweaking you could do to the armor.

It keeps the PCs feeling powerful while taking on hordes of enemies, which happens all the time in the vidjya.

Definitely use the combat rules from Black Crusade, though. It was so much better.
>>
File: 1463105242886.gif (2 MB, 245x207) Image search: [Google]
1463105242886.gif
2 MB, 245x207
>>48263118
>cabal
>doing anything ever in Destiny

oh isn't that precious
>>
>>48263297
Don't laugh, it's outright stated that the Cabal forces you throw down with are just a few meager scouting legions, and they still managed to put up a staunch resistance for a long fucking time. Not to mention the fact that the Cabal high command May have stolen the Hive secret for permanently killing Guardians.

Next game is going to be an actual invasion fleet showing up, mark my words.
>>
>>48263450
>staunch resistance

The Cabal grimoire cards are honestly depressing. It's just a bunch of ignorant soldiers being slaughtered constantly by time robots and dancing zombies.
>>
>>48263486
And they put up that fight for god knows how long, and they make a pretty good show of it. Before your character in the game shows up most people on Earth are plenty willing to leave them alone, because they've demolished every other attempt to gain a foothold on Mars.

They also have killed a handful of Guardians before, mainly just through bombing the shit out of them so the ghost is incapable of existing without being blown up.
>>
>>48263450
it was a rip at bungie for leaving the cabal in the dust in favor of the Fallen and Hive, who are just not as intersting. everyone wants more Fallen and Hive stuff. im with you in saying that we need more Cabal
>>
>>48263578
To be fair every Guardian that isn't you and your fire team are absolute trash.

We literally just woke up and have already decimated every major enemy faction in the Solar System.

What the fuck have they been doing for centuries?
>>
>>48263625
One Guardian wrecking houses one after the other is simple proof that Rasputin succeeded in secretly building the galaxy's greatest Rube Goldberg machine.
>>
File: masterrace.png (69 KB, 270x400) Image search: [Google]
masterrace.png
69 KB, 270x400
>Console peasants
>>
The Destiny lore is actually incredible, mostly because they got an actual writer to work on the Grimoire cards (none of which are really touched on in the game). If you like the Grimoire, read the Traitor Baru Cormorant by the same author. Honestly one of the best fantasy books I've ever read.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.