[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do my players give me grief about having a DMPC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Why the fuck do my players give me grief about having a DMPC if they NEVER WANT TO FUCKING DM.

Its asinine. I think I am just going to make a mary sue and shove it down their throats because i am a petty and vindictive man.
>>
>>48249623
Fucking do it, faget.
>>
>>48249623
Can I fuck your DMPC pregnant?

If no, fuck off.
>>
>>48249623
Funny that we are almost in the exact opposite situation, OP. My players always want me to have a DMPC, because they don't want to DM either and they think that I'll have fun too that way.

DMPCs are frowned upon because there are many horror stories about them done incorrectly, but honestly, it's not hard. You just have to prevent your char from having meta knowledge, and don't fudge anything in your favor.
In practice, just never know the answer for any riddle, or who was the killer, or what to do next, or where the traps are (actually, walk into traps once per dungeon at least, and make it traps that concern everyone - eventually you'll be forbidden from walking ahead of others), and roll openly for everyone to see.
>>
>>48249623
What're your ideas about the GMSPC so far? I mean, if you're gonna do it, we're gonna do it right.
>>
Instead of going full spite, might I suggest leveraging your forever GM style to advance other desires; slowly introduce magical realm, move campaigns towards the types you like most, use systems and homebrews for your edification above others. Eventually one of them will give in and ask for the reigns, or you have games that are as close as perfect as you can get them, or they stop focusing on DMPCs and the problem is solved.

I see no way that could backfire at all.
>>
>>48249623

If you don't wanna DM, don't, and then tell your players that one of them needs to take a turn. If they argue, restate that you WILL NOT.

This isn't actually hard, you are just too awkward to talk to people.
>>
>>48249723
well, for non mary sue ones I was going to introduce a summoner. Able to Summon a great many things so that whatever the party needs at the moment, they would have.

"We are down a healer, I'll summon a fairy"

"We are down a tank, i'll summon a bear."

their personality would be that of a happy go lucky, positive person.
>>
>>48249623
They give you grief because they're punk-ass bitches. Make them man up and do it. Find the one who has the greatest sense of responsibility, who you think will at least try his best, even if he can't deliver quality, approach him privately, and ask him to run some one-shots or something on the side. Tell him you're getting burnt out.
>>
File: 1467157478050.jpg (213 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1467157478050.jpg
213 KB, 960x540
You might just make bad DMPCs.
>>
>>48249623
>tfw playing on a forum in which DMPC is considered standard fare
>the are even main plot drivers only HALF the time

But really OP, what's your DMPC? Is it a guy in charge who is super cool and players are his followers? Then I'd see why they have a problem.
If it's just a regular character in the party then the're asinine, yes.
>>
>>48253988
regular character. Fuck it. I am making one and they can deal with it or find a new group.
>>
>>48249623

Because DMPC's are shit-tier roleplaying. If you DM, DM well. If you don't want to DM well refuse to DM, just like everyoe else did. If it's really truly situation where no one wants to DM, look into DMless games like Microscope and it's progeny.
>>
>>48249623
>can't have fun GMing without a special snowflake mary sue gmpc.
Have you considered going to the game finder thread and recruiting one to replace you?
>>
>>48249623
Play solo ERP. I love it when my PC gets a DMPC SO.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.