[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Abominations and Kaiju in your games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 11
File: Godlike-Monster-Art-Alien-Fish.jpg (160 KB, 1526x976) Image search: [Google]
Godlike-Monster-Art-Alien-Fish.jpg
160 KB, 1526x976
Do Abominations/Kaiju need any established motives?
On the one hand, having 'It wants to consume/kill/dominate everything because it does' seems like a fairly shit hook for a BBEG.
On the other, the whole point of eldritch is that it is beyond morality and intentionally alien.

Are abominations doomed to be shitty plot hooks, or do they actually make compelling enemies beyond the initial mindfucking? Can they make a long-term enemy for a campaign or are they better included in a one-off final showdown?

Will post pics of spooky monsters.
>>
File: Overdrive_sin.png (305 KB, 589x480) Image search: [Google]
Overdrive_sin.png
305 KB, 589x480
>>48247656
>>
File: Clash of the titans kraken.jpg (360 KB, 1600x1208) Image search: [Google]
Clash of the titans kraken.jpg
360 KB, 1600x1208
>>48247675
>>
>>48247656
I've always been fond of the simple "it's a big guy and it's hungry" motive.
>>
File: ld140_obliterator.jpg (74 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
ld140_obliterator.jpg
74 KB, 620x453
>>48247700
>>
File: 1441336010-0.jpg (21 KB, 600x403) Image search: [Google]
1441336010-0.jpg
21 KB, 600x403
>>48247729
>>
>>48247656
>Do Abominations/Kaiju need any established motives?
Depend on what you want to do with them. In my case since they are usually artificial construct or byproduct of some kind of pollution I'd say not really.
>On the one hand, having 'It wants to consume/kill/dominate everything because it does' seems like a fairly shit hook for a BBEG.
You make a mistake there. Fundamentally Kaiju are force of nature and not BBEG in themselves, Abomination also usually answer to a higher being and while they might fill the final boss slot they rarely have a design of their own.
>Are abominations doomed to be shitty plot hooks, or do they actually make compelling enemies beyond the initial mindfucking? Can they make a long-term enemy for a campaign or are they better included in a one-off final showdown?
They're more useful as one-off encounter in the case of Kaiju unless your player can handle the frustration of wounding it to near death and seeing it come back until your endgame and while abomination can be recurring enemies it all depend on how intelligent they are.

tl;dr Depend on the setting
>>
>>48247656

The kaiju is running for political office and is trying to eat all his competition.
>>
>>48247656
>seems like a fairly shit hook for a BBEG
It's not a villain. It's a force of fucking nature. It crushes and destroys because it represents the kind of primal power that scares you shitless.

And you can't win against it, not without cheating.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 480x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 480x330
>>48247723
For you
>>
File: ScreamingEagle.jpg (365 KB, 960x855) Image search: [Google]
ScreamingEagle.jpg
365 KB, 960x855
>>48247919
In these troubled times, America needs a strong leader.
A strong, radioactive, 50-storey leader.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 194x259
>>48247767
>>
>>
File: 1463096123681.jpg (286 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
1463096123681.jpg
286 KB, 1920x2560
>>48247887 and >>48247675 are on the right track of how to handle abominations/kaiju. Make it a force of nature, something that is part of the setting and a grim part at that. People of the setting either accept it as something that has been happening for a long time or it is a fairly recent phenomena that they are trying to make sense of.

Making kaiju into compelling, long-term enemies will likely involve a more mundane villain behind it. Whether the mundane villain is controlling the kaiju, seeking to benefit from disasters, or released it by mistake are some of the possible options. I think having this person or group be the main enemy for most of the campaign while the effects of the kaiju's passing are felt at all stages is the best way to go. After the group defeats the mundane villain, the kaiju is the 'final boss' that is unshackled and must be defeated.

However, what I said is just what FFX did with Sin and the Church of Yevon.
>>
>>48249801
One thing I forgot to add is entwine the mundane villain's plots with the kaiju's destruction. A possible way to do this is look up some cases of natural disasters that happen in our own world and the people that setup charities to funnel money mainly towards themselves.
>>
File: pacific_rim_trespasser_skull.jpg (99 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pacific_rim_trespasser_skull.jpg
99 KB, 1920x1080
We are Mankind.
Our footprints are on the moon!
When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit ...
We will kill it!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.