[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would one go about simplifying William Blake's mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Urizen.jpg (227 KB, 877x668) Image search: [Google]
Urizen.jpg
227 KB, 877x668
How would one go about simplifying William Blake's mythology so that it could serve as a pantheon in a fantasy game?
>>
Nothing?
>>
>>48248422
You're likely overestimating the familiarity most 20 year old game nerds have with William Blake.
>>
DUDE DEMIURGES LMAO
>>
>>48249231
Seconded. I know almost nothing about his mythology. Now, his intro to Edward IV I am quite familiar with.

"Oh for a voice like thunder..."
>>
>>48249231
Well, I don't know that they need to be familiar with Blake to appreciate his rather alien pantheon.
>>
>>48249890
The problem is that you haven't described it for us, and most people aren't going to just go look it up because of a random thread they probably wouldn't be interested in anyway.

Please, give us something to work with here.
>>
So, like, the Conqueror Worm and The Great Red Dragon, and the Poison Tree?
>>
Fucking who?
>>
>>48249938
This

also bump
>>
>>48249938
Oh, I'm sorry, you're right.

In Blake's mythology, there was a primeval man called Albion that was divided into four Zoas, Tharmas, Urizen, Luvah (also known as 'Orc') and Urthona (also known as 'Los'). Tharmas represented strength and instinct, Urizen represented law and order, in a restrictive sense, Luvah/Orc represented passion and freedom, and Urthona/Los represented imagination. Each Zoa also had a feminine counterpart, like Adam had Eve. Tharmas has Enion, Urizen had Ahania, Luvah had Vala, and Urthona had Enitharmon.
>>
>>48249984
'The Conqueror Worm' was Edgar Allen Poe.
>>
File: loss of mana.jpg (256 KB, 2000x1600) Image search: [Google]
loss of mana.jpg
256 KB, 2000x1600
>>48250106
>also known as 'Los'
I'm intrigued
>>
>>48250181
>Los is the fallen (earthly or human) form of Urthona, one of the four Zoas. He is referred to as the "eternal prophet" and creates the visionary city of Golgonooza. Los is regularly described as a smith, beating with his hammer on a forge, which is metaphorically connected to the beating of the human heart. The bellows of his forge are the human lungs. Los's emanation, Enitharmon, represents spiritual beauty and embodies pity, but at the same time creates the spatial aspect of the fallen world, weaving bodies for men and creating sexual strife through her insistence upon chastity. In the Book of Urizen (1794), Los and Enitharmon have the child, Orc, who is the embodiment of the spirit of revolution. It is of interest to note that the name 'Los' is, by common critical acceptance, an anagram of 'Sol', the Latin word for 'sun'. Such innovations are common in many of Blake's prophetic poems.
>>
Bump?
>>
Well, I think that there are two things you would need to do.

You would need to create a summary of the cosmology long enough to give a good idea of what players should expect but not too long as to bore them or give too much away. Perhaps a 1-3 page summary.

Second, you would need to pick a fitting system for this. Since it seems to be pretty cosmic, I'd recommend a rules lite game such as Heroquest.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.