[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wild West RPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: grandtheftequine.jpg (56 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
grandtheftequine.jpg
56 KB, 600x337
Any good ones? Does anyone have experience with them? Recommendations?
>>
>>48243449

Dogs in the Vineyard. The default setting is pseudo-Mormon inquisitors but it's really, really easy to adapt to just about anything.
>>
Deadlands is a hell of a lot of fun. Old system especially. You can easily drop the ghost-story stuff and play it straight if you want.
>>
Boot Hill.
>>
I know Aces and Eights exists, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

The site has a quality of beef worksheet, though, so I imagine that being the owners, proprietors, and workers at a steakhouse would be a legit campaign.
>>
How would you set up a wild west campaign?
>>
>>48248922

Like a fantasy game, but with gun duels instead of swords. And wiki some native american or US folklore
>>
>>48243449

Ace's and Eights and Dogs were already mentioned.

So Dust Devils.
>>
File: Md6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Md6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48243449
I use this, and I even have a little custom quickdraw module for it.

Another one you can use is Wild Cards. It's a fun setting, even if its mechanics are weird and unfinished.
>>
>>48243449
>>48250180
Here's the quick-draw gunfight rules, if you want.
>>
>>48250180
>>48250187
Nifty
>>
>>48243449

There's a few OSR ones, dunno how they play because my group won't go for westerns.
Go Fer Yer Gun is based on Castles and Crusades, a 2e AD&D clone.
Blood and Bullets is based off of Swords and Wizardry, an OD&D clone.
There are some others but I don't remember their names, as I don't have copies of 'em.
>>
File: Dogs_in_the_Vineyard.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dogs_in_the_Vineyard.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48244359
>1st post is Dogs

sometimes /tg/ gets shit right

That being said, Deadlands can be fun too.
>>
>>48250180
>Another one you can use is Wild Cards

Wild Cards was a fun setting and produced some great writefaggotry (I should know, I contributed), but the mechanics are ass. I'd port it.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Wild_Cards

I'll third Dogs in the Vineyard.
>>
>>48243449

>Rules-lite
Dogs in the Vineyard

>Rules-heavy
Aces & Eights
>>
File: Capture.png (426 KB, 554x805) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
426 KB, 554x805
>>48251814
>Aces & Eights

I took one look at the Shot Clock and thought two things to myself: "That is a really cool idea." and "I will never play this."
>>
we made this thing once upon a time

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?searchall=black+hats
>>
>>48251903
my feelings exactly. It's extremely cool in theory. In practice, it means you need a metric ton of silhouettes to simulate anything you'd want to shoot at.
>>
>>48251903
>>48251978
I should pop in Ring of Red and play that again. Mech game set in the vietnam era in an alternate universe where the USA and Soviety Union invaded japan together creating a north korea/south korea split.

reminds me of the game because it's turnbased tactical but there's a neat firing scope mechanic where in you zoom in on enemy mechs and sort of gamble with percentages.
>>
We did a western game using savage worlds, that was quite fun and overall memorable. Props to the DM for creating an engaging plot and all that.
>>
>>48252306
tell us about it? Western storytime best storytime.
>>
>>48252534
The general plot was based around the discovery of an abandoned mining town, with which a railroad baron could buy out both competitors and any land he needed by didn't have. In some way or other he crossed each of the PCs which drove us to band together to exact justice or revenge.

The party had a good composition and everyone's goals progressed well. We had

>A young farmsteadder who
>A former Confederate
>A Mexican rebel girl
>A wild west show actor
>A Chinese railway worker
>An Indian girl

But yeah coming from meeting one another to the big showdown, it was quite a ride, and definitely one of my favorite games to have played.
>>
>>48243449
One time I ran my players through most of the plot of Appaloosa. They hadn't seen the film and enjoyed a great deal of it.
>>
>>48253092
I love the character spread. It's an odd grouping, but I feel like the Western genre can support it, especially when "vengeance" is the motivating factor.
>>
>>48253306
Yeah it definitely took some getting used to and was rough at first, but there was plenty of character development and interaction between us, and we worked really well as a team.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.