[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The players play as spirits able to bestow magical powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
>The players play as spirits able to bestow magical powers onto mortals by possessing them
>The flesh sacks they're running around with are all randomly generated
>If the flesh sack gets killed, the spirit is trapped there at the corpse until a new host arrives
>Death for the PCs comes in the form of cultists capturing and binding them to artifacts

What system would you use for this, assuming you wanted cuhrazy combat powers?

Pic only vaguely related because Sengoku Youka is good
>>
File: 1451841882541.jpg (787 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
1451841882541.jpg
787 KB, 800x967
>>48239557

Devil: The Fallen worked in a similar way if I recall correctly.
>>
>>48239956
Demon, not devil. Otherwise yeah.
>>
>>48239956
>>48240026
Pretty much how that worked.

Just change the banishment mechanic to binding and reflavor it however you want it.
>>
File: SpearWhyFoo.png (4 MB, 2819x3395) Image search: [Google]
SpearWhyFoo.png
4 MB, 2819x3395
>>48239557
I'd probably grow too attached to vessels.
>>
Would you play this if it were a low budget 2d roguelike? Because I may try and fail at that.
>>
File: 1428988632880.jpg (348 KB, 1241x900) Image search: [Google]
1428988632880.jpg
348 KB, 1241x900
>>48240333
Good. This gives you suffering and thereby plot hooks.
>>
>>48239557
check Messiah (vidya from late 90's) it deals with the idea

as for the system WoD might work
>>
>>48242303
WoD fucking sucks though
>>
>>48239557
DnD 3.5. You are playing as template which levels up.
>>
Well, I think it's a relatively novel idea to work with
>>
>letting yourself be possessed

I'll fuck these spirits up, fuck your ghost powers.
>>
As long as all our powers aren't in the form of under-50% rolls to activate useless passives, I'm in.
>>
After about three minutes of thought, I'd probably use Pathfinder (yeah, yeah, I know). But the players could stat themselves as an Eidolon of Xth level and allow them to possess adventurers of various skill levels. Yeah, you can possess a high level character, but they likely will have the stats to resist your possession if its unwilling, and even though wizards are more powerful, they have magics to force you out and bind you to items or banish you to other realms. Seems like it could be fun.
>>
>>48239557
>What system would you use for this, assuming you wanted cuhrazy combat powers?
Don't Rest Your Head. The base game has a simple, non-abusable 'magic' system every character has, letting them do one awesome supernatural thing. These range from 'generate lightning by moving' to 'make millions of ants burst from my flesh to kill my foes' to 'summon trains wherever and whenever I want'. It's awesome.

You can find the basic idea for the rules here: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Don't_Rest_Your_Head

Re-flavour as such:

Exhaustion represents how much physical strength you're forcing your flesh sack host to use, and when it exceeds 6 they literally break and die. Instead of falling asleep, you're stuck at the corpse's location for a few days until you can summon enough power to jump to a new host, leaving you vulnerable.

Madness represents what specific kind of magical power you can channel through your body. Fight boxes make your power go out of control in dangerous, unpredictable ways when filled. Flight boxes make your power shut down completely when filled.

You can have each host body have its own Exhaustion Talent (i.e. a mundane physical skill that the person was good at doing in life), and you can either have a static Madness Talent or one that changes with each host you occupy. You can flavour it so that your spirit is basically a 'magic battery', and every host is like a unique electrical appliance that makes that energy work in different ways. So one host might let you create ice weapons, while another could teleport short distances, and so forth.

I highly recommend you give this a shot. The system's solid and it manages to reward characters for being awesome and 'cinematic' while still presenting risks and challenges for them.
>>
>>48242254
Would the vessels have their own personality and goals for being possessed? Or would they just be mindless flesh mecha for the spirits?
>>
So, what was the janny's beef?
>>
>>48255049
You're not allowed to criticize the administrative staff's decisions.
>>
>>48256049
How is bemusement criticism?
>>
>>48256066
Answering your question would be the criticism.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.