[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does your character use a : made up name/ a code name / a nickname
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: images (25).jpg (10 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
images (25).jpg
10 KB, 219x230
Does your character use a : made up name/ a code name / a nickname / or real name ?
>>
>>48238274
Depends on the character. I don't think I've ever had a Shadowrunner use their actual name. Always some vaguely meaningful and nondescript name. Icebreaker would be a decker and face for instance. The name referring to the term "breaking the ice" in conversation to remove unease at a gathering and get people relaxed, as well as the cyberpunk term ICE or IC for hacking countermeasures. Thus a runner with that name puts people at ease and penetrates matrix defenses.

On the other hand, my adventurer will loudly proclaiming his name and that he has slain the bad thing, bring on his deserved wenches and ale so that he might recount the tale!

Generally though, for ease of players it's good to consider a shortened term of your character's name. Nobody cares about Llennalellulenven Ghoauniueeƫeen the Elf's full name. But remembering the name Len is easy.
>>
File: Social Combat.gif (2 MB, 400x209) Image search: [Google]
Social Combat.gif
2 MB, 400x209
>>48238274
>Use my real name all campaign
>Family member gets kidnapped
>Party pretends to work for the guy to get information
>Me specifically starts using a fake name, dyed hair, ect since the BBEG has seen me before.
>Party forgets to use my fake name EVERY FUCKING TIME
>GM doesn't allow take-backs for dialogue, only mechanics issues.

Yeah... that was a fun plot arc...
>>
>>48238274
Real name. Most of them. Some does not have surnames. When they'll go undercover a made up name of course.
But I just hate that huurrr-durrr-the-npc-does-not-know-my-real-name-they-do-not-know-where-I-live!

As if...
>>
>>48238274
Since true names frequently have power, all of my well-educated characters tend to use a nickname and are very cautious about giving their real one.
>>
>>48238274

Being a secret agent, she normally uses a codename. Very few people know her real name, and most the people who do are right bastards.
>>
>>48238274
GOTTA GET BACK
>>
I usually go out of my way to give characters nicknames one way or another to avoid the issue of me being fucking terrible at remembering names. Only now do I realize I haven't in my most recent game since everyone in the party has a short name already, but I guess I have a project now.
>>
Not really, had a techie in a CP2020 campaign called wrenchmonkey at one point, and my current rogue has just been referred to by his last name, Carver.
>>
Currently only doing a DnD campaign, I'm a thief. I didn't even think of a name beforehand because I'm retarded, and the other players started referring to me as "Steve". I decided to say that was an alias and pretty much use that. Still haven't thought of a real name, but I'm thinking a slew of just changing aliases if needed will work just fine.

Hopefully starting a Mage: The Ascension game soon, not sure who's all gonna play. I'm thinking of basically recreating the pirate republic on Nassau and the golden age of piracy with a modern day spin, being a magic pirate, encouraging people who join up to LARP as if it was really the golden age of piracy again. I'm thinking of using a match up of a couple pirates names/more famous aliases.
>>
>>48238650
While shame on you for not having a name for your character, end result is pretty cool. Would play with/10.
>>
>>48238567
You could make just the name itself short and easy to remember.
Easy mod: be a monster pc (orc,goblin,kobold,etc). my kobold rogue is called the draconic word for "shadow" from D&D's draconic, "Sjach".
Also it became really easy to remember his name because I roleplay him in third person like Smeagol.
>>
I have a re-usable character named Honey who somestimes uses a Zorro-esque alias known as The Hornet, either for generic vigilantism or being some sort of superhero. Other times she just rolls with her own name, or she's herself and The Hornet is a mecha, or something.
Honey's very adaptable.
>>
>>48238274
My sorceress has a stage name.

My Solar has basically always used an alias, and can't quite shake the habit even though he's an exile from the society that gave it to him.

My rogue trader uses her real name, but it's long enough that no one else bothers to remember it in full.
>>
>>48238274
>Dunedain of the North
>Uses a fake Woodmen Name
>Pretends he is a lone wanderer
>All to avoid the attention of the Eye
>>
>>48238535
BACK TO THE PAST
>>
>>48238914

SAMURAI JACK
>>
>>48238274
Current character is using a real name. When translated it means Sunlight-Radiance. The character is a coldblooded assassin and blackmailer.
>>
>>48238274
I call them Bob.
Not Bobby. Not Bobber. Not Bobshena.
Just Bob.
>>
>>48238274
We're playing Double Cross. Code names are a goddamn necessity.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.