[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 13
File: WArmingMSullivanA1024.jpg (449 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WArmingMSullivanA1024.jpg
449 KB, 1024x768
A sword made of modern grade steel lands in the lap of a bronze age warlord.
What happens.
>>
"Ey dis is a pretty sweet sword mang, gonna show this shit off to them barbarians, bet they gonna be mad jelly. Yolo"
>>
>>48238045
That one particular individual has a slightly better sword than everyone else?
>>
>>48238045

It becomes a highly revered artifact, like those knives and swords made out of meteorite iron, only morso.
>>
>>48238045
The war lord dies to arrows.
>>
>>48238045
"How the fuck do I reforge this when it gets worn? Oh well, I guess I'll use it as a symbol of divine mandate and wealth than a martial tool."
>>
>>48238045
very little happens
>>
His authority increases.

If you want a real win condition, 10 15th century suits of plate and 10 15th century broadswords.
>>
>>48238075
>>48238543
underrated posts
>>
>>48238045
It doesn't fit contemporary warfare so its becomes wallhanger for the warlord
>>
>>48238045
It rusts because nobody knows how to take care of it.
>>
>>48238692
>It doesn't fit contemporary warfare
Just because the sharpened metal beatstick is made from a material he's not familiar with doesn't make it unfit for warfare.

It's a sharpened metal beatstick.
>>
>>48238564

Pretty sure you'd need more than 10.
>>
>>48238045
He'd get shot to death by arrows anyway.
"Target the guy with the nice gear".
>>
>>48238692
>its a sword
>that is really fucking amazing
>nearly impossible to break with the items at the time
>the warlord is gonna ignore the fact this weapon is fucking amazing comparatively and just put it on the wall, never to be used.
>implying its not gonna be revered as some super powerful divine sword except its an actual sword, not some brand of mythological retardation.
yeah sure anon, nice delusion you live in.
>>
>>48238564
>Broadswords
Come on anon.
>>
>>48238045
Spearfags in the present day insist that it was inferior to polearms.
>>
>>48239140
Inferior or not, swords were always backup weapons.
>>
>>48238973
Why not?

Look at that hand protection!
>>
>>48239300
It looks even more gay than rapier.
>>
>>48239140
Well, in group or formation combat, the spear is better. And even in single combat, the reach advantage is pretty big, but that's not even the biggest advantage. The biggest advantage is the speed. A spear is very quick to redirect the point to attack different openings. Feints become crazy with a spear and a sword can't keep up. Only hope for a sword is to bind against the spear and then try to close distance and get inside the point of the spear. Problem is that the spear can easily shorten his grip and still get the point on line
>>
>>48239321
You're retarded. Complex hilts are not "gay". You're a child.

>>48239300
And he specified "15th century broadswords"

Fuck when is deendee gonna update their shit and use proper names for their weapons
>>
>>48239321
1. You're retarded.
2. That's what a broadsword is.
>>
>>48239368
>Fuck when is deendee gonna update their shit and use proper names for their weapons
Probably never, unfortunately.

But still. Platemail and broadswords! Redundant levels of protection!
>>
>>48238045
Unless he decides to 1on1 all his rival warlords in official duels, he's going to do jackshit. One sword doesn't an army make.

>>48238717
You'd be surprised how fuckresilient a bunch of guys in plate can be.

Those fuckers were essentially walking tanks.

Now consider the fact that the majority of cutting weapons and speartips consist of a much softer metal that doesn't bear the force as well, all the while your walking tanks have swords with overpowered reach and superior cutting power. Ten guys tearing into an unorganised mob of tribal militiamen are enough to make them all rout, which is basically you winning the battle.

Now, considering it's the bronze age and metalcrafting is actually rare enough in some parts of the world that it is considered a mythical act of sorcery, you'll have lots of people with clubs and slingshots running around.

Concussive force circumvents your armour protection and attacks the guy coated in plates, directly (more or less). So if your enemies are smart enough, they'll quickly switch tactics and spam rocks and all sorts of heavy shit at their faces, and once they're down they'll pile on them with treebranches and shit.
>>
File: 1459254276042.jpg (28 KB, 329x244) Image search: [Google]
1459254276042.jpg
28 KB, 329x244
>>48238966
>nearly impossible to break with the items at the time

Modern steel is nice, but it's nowhere near indestructible. It would certainly be more durable than its bronze companions, but "nearly impossible to break" is quite an exaggeration.

For example, which do you think would withstand more punishment, a bronze mace, or a steel sword?
>>
What if he got ten ak-47s, a wagonful of ammo and the instruction manual instead?
>>
>>48239640
Lots of necklaces as nobody can read the fucking manual.
>>
>>48239196
what is Rome?
>>
>>48239743
Money and the shield are the main weapons of Rome, anon.
>>
>>48239756
And the pilum.>>48239756
>>
>>48239756
It's a legitimate argument, though. The Romans reorganized the military to face the Samnites, but they never bothered changing it back because it worked pretty well against everyone. The swords swords swords tactic may not have been popular in the medieval period, but it definitely worked in the Romans' times.

They also didn't always rely on wave after wave of their own men, they only lost to Phyrrus that one time because of elephants, which they had never seen before, and that was a four-hour frontal push between these same swordsmen and PIKES.
>>
>>48238045

Prestige item.
>>
>>48239640
Ammunition, while extensive, is limited.
Skip forward a hundred years and there's a local legend of the Old King who was blessed with spears of lightning and fire who conquered the local area.
His son was a shit and killed and the land fractured a generation later, but still.
Future archaeologists are freaked when the excavate a barrow and find guns.

Now, some kind of discovery of good quality gunpowder, rifling and metalworking would be far more impactful.
Exactly when and where you'd need to insert that knowledge for maximum impact I'm not sure. You'll need decent metallurgyand, mining and trade links to get the components for your early day rifles.
>>
File: katana2.jpg (6 KB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
katana2.jpg
6 KB, 300x290
What if a superior steel weapon falls into the warlord's lap?
>>
>>48238045

Pretty much nothing. There were small steel forges in east Africa 2000 years ago. Like other forms of technology, metallurgy advanced at different speeds in different places, and more importantly, without a societal infrastructure to support it, and methods of safely storing and passing on information long-term, even small pockets of more advanced technology won't stick around forever or have meaningful impact until they can spread on a wide scale.

So one single sword that's somewhat better than everyone else's would have very little impact.
>>
>>48238045
The warlord comes into possession a stack of fully colored, uncensored, loli hentai doujins, a plastic pussy and 1 gallon of lube.
>>
It seems few in the bronze age would know much about rust and the prevention thereof.

So our warlord will soon be an exception to the first part at least.
>>
>>48238706
Not for long it's not. The bronze age didn't have sharpening, because you can't sharpen bronze.

Also I'm pretty sure the issue anon was talking about was the shape of the sword.
>>
>>48240486
>The bronze age didn't have sharpening, because you can't sharpen bronze.

I nominate this one for today's dumbest post on /tg/.
>>
>>48240755
Go look it up :^)
>>
>>48239859

It worked for Romans because after few early wars they never met real challenge.

When they tried invading Persia few times it was always a disaster unless they had many times more men.
>>
>>48240486
So it becomes a high-quality blunt metal beatstick in a sea of lower-quality blunt metal beatsticks.
Big whoop.

Wanna fight about it?
>>
>>48240755

Why are you even trying to argue about a subject you know shit about?

Real life is not D&D.
>>
>>48238045
His thighs get cut.
>>
>>48240815
It stays sort-of higher quality, but not enough for anyone to really notice, for a few weeks. After that it's blunt and/or rusted, and thrown away because nobody knows how to deal with either of those things.
>>
>>48239960
It rusts, chips and falls to dust because nobody knows to oil it, not touch the blade or anything like that.
>>
>>48238966
>its a sword
>that is really fucking amazing

Except it isn't? Fighting techniques for a sword with large guard don't even exist yet, and a sword of this type is ill suited for fighting with single grip shields of the period.
>>
>>48240843
Is there a modern, lower-maintenance steel alloy that's still better for swords than bronze was?

Manganese steel, or something?
>>
>>48240861
Are we sure bronze swords weren't oiled?
>>
>>48240870
Very likely, it's just that if you ask for a stainless steel sword actually capable of performing as a sword and not just a decoration, you'll probably get funny looks.

That still doesn't change the fact that nobody in the bronze age would know how to take care of such a sword.
>>
>>48239743
A city-state that used literally THREE lines of spearmen with a skirmishers' frontline?

Yeah, they used swords too, but come on now.
>>
>>48240883

Yes. Because it's pointless.
>>
>>48240091
>Chief We'eboo last of his line retreats to his parents root cellar where he lives out the rest of his days.
>He teaches others of what he has discovered.
>A priestly order is founded, the Order of Neets.
>They preserve the knowledge held sacred to them for centuries.
>The small island country of Japan opens its borders for the first time. The order of Neets infiltrated the Dutch East India company to expose this land of barbarians to their teachings.
>>
>>48240883
No idea about theirs but mine takes a good oil bath before sleep every night.
>>
>>48241008
>>They preserve the knowledge held sacred to them for centuries.
>neets
>reproducing
faaaake
>>
It cuts their legs.
>>
>>48238697

This. Bronze weapons have completely different maintenance requirements to steel ones. They don't really rust and work-harden themselves.
>>
>>48240783
>>48240822
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5COC7PjiJw

I recognize that they need to be work hardened first, but after that you can just hone them the regular way.
>>
Modern steel is shit for bladed weapons and actually lower quality for that purpose than medieval ones.
>>
>>48241776
Naw, they'd reforge their swords to put a sharp edge back on them.
>>
File: man.jpg (35 KB, 233x344) Image search: [Google]
man.jpg
35 KB, 233x344
>All this bragging and boasting
Fuck you guys. Flint and bone are everything my father and grandfather ever needed.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51 KB, 685x567
>>48241831
>>
>>48241851
But they fought against other naked fur clad primitives and outnumbered animals, Anon.
>>
>>48241870
And that's their fault, is it? Man, fuck you guys... You're spoilt is what you are. Put a band of you out in the wild without access to metal tools and weapons, and what do you have? A tribe of little babies.
You don't know shit.
>>
>>48241928
You know nothing
>>
>>48238045
it would rust, as he wouldn't know how to maintina it properly.
>>
>>48241839
You clearly got some source for that statement.

Clearly.
>>
>>48242226
You're the one with the outrageous and outnumbered claim. You need to give a source.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (55 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
55 KB, 848x480
>>48242334
Claim was that you can't sharpen bronze swords like steel/iron ones.

I posted a vid in which the dude currently making functional bronze swords asked some other dudes to demonstrate how to sharpen them. Which he did with a stone, same way you'd sharpen a steel sword.

So that claim turned out to be demonstrably wrong and was refuted.
>>
>>48238045
Same thing as a gold plated AK lands in the lap of an African warlord.
>>
>>48242516
>I posted a vid
A credible source, anon. I didn't think I'd need to point that out to you.
>>
>>48239960
nice bait
>>
>>48238045
Warlord is skewered by a line of peasant spearmen.
>>
>>48242612
I dunno how somebody demonstrating something on camera is supposed to be less credible than the trollish namescalling of the other side...
>>
>>48244415
Different anon here. I think he's saying while you CAN sharpen bronze with a rock just like you can steal we know for a fact they didn't do this, or rather we have zero evidence of this. We do however have this nice mountain of evidence saying they reforged that shit all the time or reshaped the edge as necessary, they even stopped midfight to bend their sword straight occasionally.
>>
>>48244480
Steel*. Fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>48244480
>we know for a fact they didn't do this, or rather we have zero evidence of this.
Also different anon here. Congratulations, you're an idiot for posting the above unironically.
>We do however have this nice mountain of evidence saying they reforged that shit all the time or reshaped the edge as necessary, they even stopped midfight to bend their sword straight occasionally.
Reforging is a different thing. Reshaping the blade is just sharpening. Straightening the blade is another different thing, and some kinds of steel swords need it in the course of regular fencing too.
>>
>>48238106
Yeah, this.
Think Conan's Atlantean sword.
>>
It doesn't really do anything special. As everyone else has said in the thread nobody knew how to take care of steel back then.

Even then, people only shifted to iron because tin and copper were comparatively rare, not because iron was a better material. Being able to make steel just meant people were finally able to make something less shitty than plain iron without rare materials
>>
>>48244480
>they even stopped midfight to bend their sword straight occasionally.

You got some sources I haven't seen. The one popular source for bent swords of that is a roman one talking about "celtic" Spathas, which were iron swords already.

Though it was rather interesting to see Skallagrim demonstrate that bronze swords can bend back into shape if you simply turn them around and hit shit with the other side. Could explain why the Celts thought that was acceptable while the Romans, who apparently didn't participate in the bronze age found it wierd.
>>
>>48239355
The problem with spear formations is that they're stiff and easy to flank.
>>
>>48246302
Just make it a circle then :^)
>>
>>48246302
>The problem with spear formations is that they're stiff and easy to flank.

There's two ways to solve this, one of them is being Swiss and the other one is finding some piece of terrain on your flanks that will slow the other dudes down enough for you to still turn in time.
>>
>>48246302
How about forming a square so you don't have flanks?
>>
>>48246571
Or we dig trenches so they can't attack us from the sides
>>
>>48246553
>>48246643
if you form a square you can't move
>>
>>48247002
That's why you form a circle, silly :^)
>>
>>48240870
A dozen modern sledgehammers would change history harder than a hundred modern swords.
>>
>>48247123
>modern technology changes things more than modern replicas of ancient "technology"
Who'da thunk it
>>
>>48246691
Digging trenches in the front seems to have been the prefered solution in period. Slow them down within easy reach of your poke-stick and all that.
>>
>>48247263
Sledgehammers are at least as old as the 2nd century.
>>
>>48246302
You can't decide you'll outflank an enemy in the middle of a medieval battle. Infantry isn't that fast, so you need to have the unit in place already (and a advantageous terrain so it's not noticed). And your means of communication is shouting.

You need to have it planned before the battle even start, and ideally have a highly trained and disciplined force (so Romans, not a bunch of tribesman)
>>
>>48248022
You have a great understanding of how things work in video games and Hollywood movies. In real life, the Roman legions hired whatever locals they could find to shoot arrows and throw/sling rocks at the enemy. The armored infantry make up the core of the army, but the core won't get you anywhere without auxiliaries. Thermopylae wasn't really fought by just 300 Spartans either.
>>
>>48248079
And? Romans using auxiliaries doesn't change the fact they weren't ordering them to commit complicated maneuvers in the middle of battle without having it planned in advance. Roman soldiers used standarts to discern units and to signal orders, but I have my doubts that auxilias were ordered anything more complex than "enemy looks weaker on the left flank, push there", especially with language barriers.

You're right it's not like video games, you couldn't sent your soldiers with one click and expect them to obey perfectly.
>>
>>48239592
Modern steel would withstand tens of thousands of more foot pounds of force beyond the bronze mace.

Do you have any other questions?
>>
>>48248769

While that's an entertaining notion, we're not talking I-beams here.

A heavy bronze mace could rather easily damage an iron sword, because it's not trying to scratch it, it's trying to smash it.

It's the whole "Katana vs Longsword" shit again: Of course the Katana loses when you swing at it held in a vice, just like the longsword gets a nasty chip out of it.

Modern steel isn't invincible, and that mace will function long after that sword is bent and dulled.
>>
>>48240486
> you can't sharpen bronze
You can't be this stupid.
>>
>>48251192
Look it up :^)
>>
>>48250297
I think you are comparing shitty steel to modern steel. Why can't a modern sword be made out of a suitable alloy just as the i-beam is?

There is steel that even incredibly thin could not even be scratched by said mace.
>>
>>48251406
If you made a sword from the same alloy as an i-beam it wouldn't make a good sword.

>There is steel that even incredibly thin could not even be scratched by said mace.
Nope. That's not how it works. You're thinking of some magical material that ignores real world properties. It wasn't folded millions of times, I hope.
>>
>>48251612
Ah, an armchair master of metallurgy.

I don't feel like talking about work anyways.
>>
>>48251406
>There is steel that even incredibly thin could not even be scratched by said mace.

I'm guessing you have several peer reviewed sources for this?
>>
>>48251689
>armchair
You're the one who thinks your modern steel katana can't even be scratched by inferior peasant metals, anon.
>>
>>48251612
You're a dumbass. I work in a steel foundry. We do hardness tests on what comes out of the smelter, generally on a small bit of each batch.

Where I work, we put it through a torture test involving a hydraulic press, a pneumatic hammer, and a couple other things to test tensile and impact strength.

There does, in fact, exist industrial grades of steel that get hit with 1800N of force and don't scratch nor snap.

Shaddup.
>>
>>48251771
Great now go make a sword out of those materials and perform the same tests, applying sudden force from every possible angle.
>>
>>48251771
m8, I don't care what you say, metal gets scratched and worn by softer materials all the time, especially a sharp edge hitting a blunt surface.
>>
>>48251818
>>48251821

You think torture testing isn't rigorous as fuck? If we don't make this shit right, people can die.

To give you an idea, if a given grade of steel fails a test, or doesn't respond with a 99.5% rating based on our standards, The whole bin basically gets scrapped into lower grade.
>>
>>48238045
People think its really neat and when the warlord dies he gets buried with it.
>>
>>48251876
m8 if you've invented an alloy that never bends, never breaks, and never loses its edge, then why aren't you a billionaire yet?

Just imagine it, it could be used everywhere.
>>
>>48251876
>Great now go make a sword out of those materials and perform the same tests, applying sudden force from every possible angle.

Do you make SWORDS on a regular basis and test them? I don't care how rigorously you test your normal product pal. I care if you have made a sword out of those same materials and tested it.
>>
>>48239321
Those look baller as shit what are you smoking?Oh wait it's
>COCK
>>
>>48251946
You are the epitome of neckbearded fucktard. "I don't care that this industrial grade steel is used to make everything from car-parts that make Pistons (That have an average impact life in the neighborhood of a billion compressions) To military hardware that lasts 20-30 years of hard use, to Airplane grade parts specifically made for long-life (Because they cost about 80 grand a piece.)

If you didn't make a fucking Zweihander out of it and slap it with a pneumatic hammer, everything you know is wrong.

You're a dumbass.

>>48251913
Already exists.At least for the losing it's edge. Gilette bought the patent like 40 years ago because it would put them out of business.
>>
>>48252045
>Getting this mad.

Gonna need a source on that claim by the way.
>>
>>48252045
How about this. Give us the name of this literal unobtanium.
>inb4 muh industry secrets
>>
>>48252045
Even if a metal alloy that doesn't lose its edge for a time orders of magnitude longer than others exists, that still doesn't help it from scratching, chipping, bending, breaking, and so on, all of which would be potential problems if you made a sword out of it and started hitting a solid block of bronze with it. In fact I bet it's an alloy that would do even worse by far in such situations.
>>
>>48252045
>I work in a steel foundry therefore I am a multi-discipline engineer!
How dumb are you?

>Gilette bought the patent because capitalism
Give us the patent number for this miracle metal that Gilette is somehow keeping from Uncle Sam and the rest of human society.
>>
>>48252180

Masters in Chemical Engineering?
So probably not very.

Turns out I was wrong about that patent. Urban legend.

But you're still all fucking retarded. You're arguing whether high-tensile, non-brittle steel would make a good combat weapon, when that's EXACTLY what we make the shit out of. Go find out what KA-BAR knives are made of and come back to me.
>>
>>48252231
>You're arguing whether high-tensile, non-brittle steel would make a good combat weapon
That's your strawman.

What we were ultimately arguing was that no matter how good you make a weapon, it still wouldn't make much difference in the scenario presented by the OP.
>>
>>48252231
It's not that it wouldn't make a good sword, of course modern steel can make good swords. It's that it wouldn't make an invincible sword.
>>
>>48252231
>Masters in Chemical Engineering?
From what university? They should revoke your degree for spouting such bullshit.

>I tried to push an urban legend as truth.
>Without fact checking before opening my mouth.
So much for that Masters.

>KA-BAR
You mean the ones I can snap in half with a wedge and a sledge hammer? Or the one that was issued to me and got chipped to all hell from one cushy deployment? Seriously all I was using it for was cutting zip ties.

You're full of shit pal.
>>
>>48251406
Steel is steel, bruh.
Cross-sections of crucible steel swords were examined by modern steel foundries in Germany and found to be not significantly different from modern monosteel.

Also I-beams are structural steel, which does not have properties suitable for a sword.
You could make a good bar mace out of it I guess.
>>
I can just feel modern steel katana fag's butthurt brewing.

A shit storm is coming lads.
>>
>>48252714
There is no katana, gilette bought it to silence its power
>>
>>48252964
Ah. So Gilette baited Japan into bombing pearl harbor in order to use the war with America to steel the secrets of glorious nippon steal in order to force its expansion into asian markets.

Too bad asians don't shave.
>>
>>48239506
Nice try historyfag.
I didn't come here to learn. You'll never teach me alive!
>>
>>48253030
Hitler did nothing wrong!
Christmas isn't really jesus's birthday!
Easter isn't about eggs or a rabbit!
Only 20% of charity comes out the other end of the vatican!
Apartheid was a terrible idea!
Britain caused the potato famine!
>>
>>48253128
Goddammit, the smarter I get, the sadder I become!
Stop!
>>
>>48253203
None of the flavors of processed food or fast food you loved as a kid exist as they change their recipes within a decade almost entirely!
That one smell you think of that so strongly reminds you of your childhood doesn't actually exist and your mind has associated it with something that is similar in smell!
You and everyone around you only remember about 85% of your childhood and 75% of what you do remember is patently false and backfilled thanks to the way we process, store, and recall memories!
You'll never have as many dreams you remember per month than as when you were a kid 10 or younger!
No one truly had that "grandma's cooking" experience that is vastly different from other grandma's as over 90% of recipes they used just after ww2 when getting married all came from the same companies printing them on their baking goods!
The fact lard was the key ingredient for a while as it was cheap compounds the above fact!
You're now aware you've always been able to see your nose!
You're now physically in control of your breathing!
You'll never find a comfortable place to sit your tongue!
You're toes now feel uncomfortable when they're touching eachother!
You're aware that you've always had an odd tonal background noise you could hear!
>>
>>48253492
>You'll never find a comfortable place to sit your tongue!
That's what you think, fucker. I know where it's supposed to be
>>
>>48238543
You sharpen it on a stone, you don't reforge it.
>>
>>48240955
How did they keep it from oxidizing?
>>
>>48253561
You didn't. It has copper in it so once the outer layer oxides it forms a protective film.
>>
>>48253492
>That one smell you think of that so strongly reminds you of your childhood doesn't actually exist and your mind has associated it with something that is similar in smell!
Except it does. Cow's shit. I used to visit my grandma in village quite often when I was a kid, so that's one of the major associations.
>>
>>48253512
Are you sure? Especially considering you're just now realizing your tongue can widen and thin itself and you're now manually in control of not only that but your jaw as well as your lips!
You'll never find a comfortable resting facial position now!
you'll remember all of this when you're trying to go to sleep.
>>
>>48252352
Your KA-BAR sounds brittle as hell.
>>
>>48253492
Yeah, I don't know why they do that. I haven't eaten lifesavers in over a decade, but they used to be my favorite candy.
Huh?
Having fun pulling numbers out of your ass?
Actually, I think I remembered fewer dreams when I was little.
I have no idea what you're talking about with "grandma's cooking".
You can still get lard.
I was actually looking at my nose while I was outside earlier today.
Am I usually not?
It seems to be doing fine on its own.
No they don't.
That comes and goes.
>>
>>48253675
They all are.
>>
>>48253661
That's just it though. It's associated with it but the actual smell doesn't exist. It's a way for your brain to shore up the memories as the process is wonky at younger ages so you associate a non-existant smell to an existant one so fully you consider them one and the same. You might even smell something that at first vaguely smells cowshittish then your brain will pick that up and thats what it will smell like as the mechanism is still alive and active. I can't recall the name of it but it's some weird germany mumbo gumbo that was done during memory to smell association experiments a good bit ago.
>>
He gets killed for it
>>
>>48251406
>Why can't a modern sword be made out of a suitable alloy just as the i-beam is?

Something being good industrial strength metal for architecture or some shit doesn't mean it'd be a good sword. Modern swords can get damaged pretty easily with a moderate amount of abuse.
>>
>>48252045

You speak of Rearden Steel... One that doesn't exist

Steel is optimized to specific traits. The steel that sharpens, does not survive stress. The steel that survives stress, does not endure shock, the steel that endures shock, does not sharpen.

Compare it to another sword, and you'd be comparing apples to apples. Compare it to a bronze mace of sufficient mass, and it will always be found wanting.
>>
>>48239300
>cold steel
ew

I have a sword like that from a real manufacturer, it's pretty great.
If something like that fell into the hands of a bronze-age warlord, he'd probably get some superstitious following, people would talk about his magic sword, etc. Probably not sufficient to win wars.
>>
File: curvy.jpg (14 KB, 756x235) Image search: [Google]
curvy.jpg
14 KB, 756x235
>>48239368
>>48239420
>>48252030
>people who seriously believe that complex hilts are not gay
>>
>>48238697
A588 weathering steel.
>>
>>48251771
Is that a BHN or HBW machine?
>>
>>48238966
I mean, assuming the guy who gets ahold of it is a good general.
There's probably hundreds of incredibly well-made swords for their era that don't have names and aren't famous because their owner got unceremoniously wacked on a battlefield somewhere or in a skirmish because human beings aren't D&D characters and it's rather depressingly easy to kill them, especially in the Bronze Age where extremely high quality armor was actually quite expensive.
>>
>>48253492
>That one smell you think of that so strongly reminds you of your childhood doesn't actually exist and your mind has associated it with something that is similar in smell!
Joke's on you, cockfag. I'm anosmic, I don't have any experience with smell!

...and it fuckin' sucks. Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>48254277
So, you can't smell if someone or something smells filthy or if something is on fire.
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>48254352
Think about everything you hear on a daily basis where someone comments about smell or asks you about a scent. And consider how strongly scent is tied to memory. And every little thing you miss out on- I always hear about how certain things are just a pleasure to smell, like fresh baked bread or cookies, or freshly mown grass, or the scent of rain. And think about all the little dangers that come with not being able to smell. How do I know if certain foods have gone bad? How do I know if there's a gas leak? You bring up things being on fire, and you're right- I can't smell smoke. I have to wait until it's thick enough to see or I can hear the burning or actually see it. I actually almost burned my place down once because something in my oven caught fire and I didn't realize it until it was almost too late.
>>
File: bec_de_corbin_AX103_a.jpg (96 KB, 1000x417) Image search: [Google]
bec_de_corbin_AX103_a.jpg
96 KB, 1000x417
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
>>
What the shit is L6 Bainite and why do I only ever hear about it in conjunction with swords?

Meme steel or truly superior niche steel?
>>
>>48253661
>Cow Shit
I grew up in the country and used to hate that smell. Now every time I drive by a dairy farm I get nostalgic as hell.

>>48253715
What if you're actually smelling cow shit?
>>
>>48239506
>Concussive force circumvents your armour protection and attacks the guy coated in plates, directly (more or less).

Less, a lot less. Curved, hardened plates of steel over a gambeson are going to absorb a lot of damage. Even a pick or warhammer isn't guaranteed to penetrate plate armour.

Enough people with enough sticks, though, yeah. Those plate guys are gonna get tired eventually, if anyone dares to face them.

But I doubt bronze age people are gonna be able to maintain the armour.
>>
>>48254510
It's a weeb meme.
As for steel itself, it's okay.
>>
>>48253492
>None of the flavors of processed food or fast food you loved as a kid exist as they change their recipes within a decade almost entirely!
I hated all that shit as a kid.

But if the smell doesn't exist, how can another smell be different to it? Regardless, while I'm sure there are many nuances of "sweaty hockey trunk" smell, I don't really care for it, no matter how much it reminds me of my childhood.

>You and everyone around you only remember about 85% of your childhood and 75% of what you do remember is patently false and backfilled thanks to the way we process, store, and recall memories!
The fuck you on about? I remember much less than 85% of my childhood, and I still remember more of it than just about anyone else I know.

>You'll never have as many dreams you remember per month than as when you were a kid 10 or younger!
Thank god, I always hated those.

>No one truly had that "grandma's cooking" experience
I've got physical recipe books older than your country. Fight me.

>Lard
Lard is almost unheard of here, aside from a few recipes that definitely have nothing to do with WW2.

>You're now aware you've always been able to see your nose!
Not a problem.

>You're now physically in control of your breathing!
God dammit.

>You'll never find a comfortable place to sit your tongue!
Joke's on you, I couldn't do that before, either.

>You're toes now feel uncomfortable when they're touching eachother!
I didn't know other people had this problem.

>You're aware that you've always had an odd tonal background noise you could hear!
I also didn't know other people had that problem.
>>
>>48254384
>How do I know if there's a gas leak?
Don't live in a third world country that still uses that shit.

Your condition does sound kinda shitty, although on the other hand, I'd argue there are more awful smells than great ones in the life of the average person.

Then again, you'll never know the exquisite joy of smelling your own farts.
>>
File: 1411891975687.jpg (1 MB, 2126x2894) Image search: [Google]
1411891975687.jpg
1 MB, 2126x2894
>>48238045

"I wish this was a real weapon and not a sword which is only secondary and a las resort in our time and age"
>>
Ok so, one sword in the past isn't going to do that much. If you can send one thing into the past for maximum shenanigans what would it be? No books or other information dumps allowed, aside from the design of the item.
>>
>>48254994
Just drop horses, pigs and earthworms on ancient North America.

A single object of anything is just going to remain a curio folks probably won't even figure out how to actually use.
>>
>>48254994
Well, 99% of things we send back are useless after more than a few days/uses. Guns are out cause ammo (though in actuality, the ammo could be easily created in the bronze age). Early access to explosives in the west is the best bet actually. that would literally change history in favor of whoever held the design knowledge. might actually allow the west to properly take over the east.
>>
>>48248769
Yeah, why do you use metrics only one country uses?
>>
>>48255058
>(though in actuality, the ammo could be easily created in the bronze age).

>folks in the bronze age could easily create smokeless powder

Damn, those are some high-spec Keks.
>>
>>48255167
Cause we like to make sure industry standards at all levels reflect our countries image via simply mentioning specifications.
Everytime some guy in dubai asks the contractor what steel he used to build his new world tallest tower cause only the best willndo he's gonna here foot and pound quite a lot and know america is the go to place for what he wants.
It's just really good for general marketing since others refuse to use it.
>>
>>48255357
Wow. Autocorrect mangled all of that and i apologize.
>>
>>48238045
+10 durability.

.....that's about it, really.
>>
>>48255447
>+10
Nah. Maybe +4 at most. We actually cut up a few crucible steel swords and they didn't have vastly different molecular makeups compared to modern steel. Most you'd get is that it bends a lot more before snapping and the sword won't hold the bend after the fact.
>>
>>48254971
>that helmet
>that breastplate
It's not like you actually cared about efficiency too much anyway.
>>
>>48254994
>maximum shenanigans
H1N1 influenza.
>>
>>48255635
Bitch please. Little bitches fronting to them be seeing they so chiseled they carvin their 12 packs into their armor just by wearin. Little bitches know they fucking with a man when they seein that helm and knowing they coming for they wives and they can't match up. Bitches be knowing them whiskers so strong they made of metal themselves having to use razors made of steel that don't exist yet.
>>
>>48244480
>We do however have this nice mountain of evidence
a mountain of evidence that you haven't posted
nigger, the fuck is wrong with /tg/ these days?
>>
>>48255818
The funny thing is that you can google for bronze age whetstones and you get stones that aren't any different from iron age ones.

http://metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/243910
>>
>>48238045
Then he has a really nice sword. I dont know what you were expecting
>>
>>48254080
>people who seriously believe that complex hilts are not functionally superior

Its like you dont even care about your fingers
>>
File: fingering the guard.jpg (137 KB, 768x755) Image search: [Google]
fingering the guard.jpg
137 KB, 768x755
>>48256575
Shut up, perv.
>>
>>48254994
>No books or other information dumps allowed
What if we were able to transfer a massive technological infodump in some form that's understandable in the past?

Does it shape the society, or will the society shape the technology by picking and choosing only the aspects they see or feel a need for?

Shit, which of these is even the case for our society? Did we adapt our social mores to some kind of unstoppable technological development, or did we select and develop only those technologies that fit our changing social mores?

Do we set the course, or do we follow the course?
>>
>>48256752
More or less they're the same unless they tell us things we don't want to hear like eugenics or that humans could be mass produced quite easily.
>>
>>48257058
>or that humans could be mass produced quite easily.

I would imagine they know about rape already.
>>
>>48257137
I meant actual cloning, artificial wombs, the ability to accelerate fetus growth, and generally frontier genetics. Hell we censored a scientific paper in the states about the huge steps china's been making on it as it involved actual human fetuses being genetically modified for their testing.
>>
>>48257191
It doesn't matter if you give them that knowledge, because they don't have the means to put it to use.
>>
>>48257217
The means are technological, anon. They'd need to start at the beginning, but they'd be steadily working towards producing the tech they already know about, rather than 'waiting' for individuals to make developmental leaps.
>>
>>48257327
And while they'll working, someone else might come along and wipe them out for giggles and shits. It's a pointless endeavor.
>>
>>48257335
I'm not sure what sort of society you're picturing or what you think I implied, but I don't think they'd devote 100% of their population to engineering and production.
>>
>>48257191
>I meant actual cloning, artificial wombs, the ability to accelerate fetus growth, and generally frontier genetics

Look here - only absolutely crazy women would not opt to grow their kid in a pot after you told them about the most common types of permanent damage vaginal birth can saddle them with.

>Hell we censored a scientific paper in the states about the huge steps china's been making on it as it involved actual human fetuses being genetically modified for their testing
Right. That "censorship" is going to get quoted as a reason why you can't back that up.
>>
>>48252045
>Already exists.At least for the losing it's edge. Gilette bought the patent like 40 years ago because it would put them out of business.

That's from a science fiction story titled "Let There Be Light" by Robert Heinlein. Next you'll be telling us you leaned how to destroy things with your mind at a hippy martian orgy
>>
>>48257486
Man if only the cold war hadn't ended, we'd be way past Mars by now
>>
>>48257500
Congress should never have cancelled NERV. Not only would we have reached mars, but anime would have become real around September 2000
>>
>>48257619
I still say we should have ended the cold war with an all out fightan robot brawl but nooooo. Fucking politicians.
>>
>>48257619
Vote for Trump, I guess?
>>
>>48254871
I mean, I'm never gonna say it's as bad as being blind or deaf or anything like that, but it sucks and if I had my druthers I'd have my sense of smell. But that's life. Shit sucks and then you die.
>>
>>48253492
>odd tonal background noise
I'm 90% sure thats my tinnitus
>>
>>48238045
Assuming it was a properly made sword using the right steel, it'd go down in history for at least a bit as a magical sword.
>>
>>48239321
Let me put this another way: do you like having all your fingers?
>>
>>48239321
Lemme guess: you like katanas a whole lot.
>>
>>48252994

No. Gilette baited Japan into bombing Pearl Harbour in order to use the war with America to steal the german Enigma decoder to decipher the theories of abducted Hungarian scientists to steal the secret of glorious Nippon steel AND THEN NUKE THE FOUNDRIES in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Asians don't shave because of their SHAME.

Get your facts correctly, Anon.
>>
>>48239960
he would be come the first weeaboo
>>
>>48238045
The sword would grow in legend as a gift from the gods due to any blacksmiths inability to reproduce it. Wars would be waged and kingdoms would fall all for the chance to own a weapon that had been touched by the heavens.
>>
This thread has convinced me to name the mythical unobtainium in my current fantasy setting Gilettite. It is only ever found is razor thin slivers inside fallen stars.

No regrets.
>>
An equivalent legend to Excalibur forms slightly earlier. Sword becomes better remembered than the warlord, is lost for centuries, baffles scientists when found, "Good steel when bronze, how do?"
>>
>>48256575
>functional superiority and being gay are exclusive
Nice try.
>>
>>48238075 /thread
>>
>>48238045
It is a very impressive blade. It is superior to the common bronze blade, lighter and harder. Might actually seem magical to some. Then over the course of time it rusts into useless, because bronze age warlords won't know shit about keeping steel and iron from rusting.
>>
>>48254871
Smell is about 40% of taste. If you can't smell, you're missing out on nearly half the flavor of your food.
That's why everything tastes weird when you've got a cold, by the way.
>>
>>48240010
Quality post.
>>
>>48238045
It's regarded as magic and probably becomes a badge of office for kings and emperors, but otherwise nothing.
>>
>>48238045
Warlord takes warband on rampage.
Calls for duels to settle fights.
Sword used by champion.
Army keeps expanding.
Largest empire ever.
>>
>>48265486
>sword chips and suddenly can't be reforged cause knowledge of steel maintenance doesn't exist yet
>sword rusts cause knowledge of steel maintenance doesn't exist yet
>user dies as techniques for steel swords are different than those of bronze swords by a good margin
>sword breaks when user expects it to just bend out of shape and dies
>after a few battles sword gets retired and forgotten about
>sword rusts away due to improper storage as even that differs greatly between steel and bronze weaponry
>some metal detector enthusiast finds a nice pile of unidentifiable rust particles many years later before moving on to more interesting things
>>
>>48253515
Yes, but the Bronze Age individual doesn't know that. When a Bronze sword gets worn, you reforge it. He'd probably assume the same of the steel, but he'd be unable to get high enough temperatures.
>>
>>48265663
>>sword chips and suddenly can't be reforged cause

Sword blades are not "reforged". Not now, never were. taking the steel from a broken blade, heating it up, and forgewelding it all together into a lump and then drawing it out will love you about 50% of the material. A swordblade will be enough for a big dagger.
the whole "reforged sword" shit is nothing but a fantasy trope.
>>
>>48267436
You're a dumbass. You reforge BRONZE swords. The idiots have no idea what to do with a steel one so they'd try the same shit and only succeed in fucking the temper csuse they couldn't achieve high enough heat.
>>
>>48266447
> When a Bronze sword gets worn, you reforge it.

If you seriously think that the solution to a blunt sword in the Bronze age was a choice between:

a: sharpen it by re-peining the edge having used a hone stone to grind out any damage.

or

b: disassemble the sword, grinding out the rivets on the hilt, break the blade into 4-5 pieces, take it to someone casting them who has a mould for the right sort of sword, have him spend a large amount of energy and time preparing the fuel for a furnace, then hours of heating it using hand-powered bellows, melt down the sword, add a little bit more from a 2nd sword, cast it again, let it cool, saw off the gates and riser, then spend 30-50 hours with abrasives polishing the entire surface, cutting in grooves and similar markings on them, then hammer the edges for 6-7 hours to work-harden it all, then repeat to hone to a sharp edge. then mount up a hilt that fits with new rivets, them possibly have to make a new scabbard....

and you pick B, then you are an absolute fucking moron.
>>
>>48267436
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?71994-The-Sword-that-was-Broken&s=

The guy there loses just 4% of the blade reforging so I'd like to know what is different to your example
>>
>>48267609
He's a shit blacksmith.
>>
>>48267671
I know squat about smithing so please elaborate
>>
>>48267609
well, what's different is that that's not reforging, that's a scarf-welded repair. Its an entirely different process.its also one I'm extremely sceptical of given he appear to be usinga 5160 silicon managanese spring steel, not a 1060 plain carbon alloy that you've see on a historical steel. Also he appears to entirely omit any form of post-forging heat treatment, not least given the hilt remains attached throughout. As such I'm extremely sceptical the forge-welding would last more than the briefest of use.

and while there are a few examples of blades with scarf-welds in them, they're pretty rare.

what I'm talking about it taking the steel from a sword, (not cleanly cutting it with a saw), stacking it into a set of pieces and forge-welding it into a rectangular billet, then drawing out the billet into a blade blank, then making a new blade from that.
>>
>>48267529
The problem with Bronze sword isn't about them getting dull, it's about them bending or breaking. More often, it's bending, which often DOES require reheating and hammering the metal back into shape.
>>
>>48253492
I'm not getting that background noise.
>>
>>48267709
Not that guy, and I'd say he probably knows more about metalwork than 90% of people about, I mean, he actually put the thing back together; but fire-welding a snapped sword back into one piece will still leave it with a permanent weak-point at the join.

Better to melt the whole thing down in a crucible and start over.
>>
>>48238045
>bronze age
Fuck that, modern day crossbow.

Are the heavy Chinese crossbows of that time potentially more powerful? Sure. But whoever has the modern one can clue whoever they favor into how scopes work and may not even be in China in the first place.
>>
>>48238045
Always wanted to do a version of the Manhattan Project where a relatively large military force gets cuntpunted into the dark ages and the players get a pool of characters to use.

I settled for a science fiction campaign where a alien military warship crash-lands on primitive earth. The players were well kept which surprised me, very little player shenanigans. They were decidedly neutral to said primitive Earth bullshit problems.
>>
>>48269189
>More often, it's bending, which often DOES require reheating and hammering the metal back into shape.

Tests have show that smacking the dude with the other side will pretty much straighten your bronze sword out again. So bending really is a non-issue.
>>
>>48254994
Nocturne the Enderfang.
>>
>>48257619
>Congress should never have canceled NERV
Come again?
>>
>>48240799
To be fair, Horse centered warfare was kinda unbeatable till guns were produce in any consistent numbers and quality.
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.