[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What is Exalted? An epic high-flying role-playing game a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 18
File: Q9ZCqHi.png (428 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Q9ZCqHi.png
428 KB, 600x400
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Boku no Exalted Edition
>>
How does Necromancy fly in 3e?
Are mortals able to initiate into necromantic sorcery?
Or is it an Abyssal/Liminal/Deathlord only kinda deal?
>>
>>48230244
its not in 3e yet

only sorcery
>>
>>48230244
We're not sure how it's going to be intergrated yet, but I'd say it's safe to assume it's going to be in one of the future splats. Until then, Socerous Working?
>>
>>48230429
>>48230325
How about 2e? Could mortals sorcerers practice necromancy?
>>
>>48230518
yes

not joking, it requires an act of depravity

the ones listed are homosexual acts or necrophilia
>>
Do Immaculate Monks on a Wyld Hunt still shave their heads or are they pragmatic enough to at least grow it out a bit so that they can ambush an Anathema?
>>
what is the average lifespan of an infernal

when does a jade person become sexually mature
>>
>>48232147
>what is the average lifespan of an infernal
150 years, going by 2e lore.

>when does a jade person become sexually mature
They're born adults, if I'm not mistaken, carved fully grown from the rock.
>>
>>48232147

The average lifespan of an E1-5 Infernal is 150 years, then increases as they become more powerful. E6, 300yrs; E7, 700yrs; E8, 1200 yrs; E9+, 2500yrs. Devil Tigers are immortal.

Jadeborn spring to life as fully formed adults, and are born from stone.
>>
>>48232237
>>48232214
Wait.

So the jadeborn can have sex right from birth and its okay?

And the infernals default at 150? thats shittier then terrestrials, why so short?
>>
>>48229677
Are there places where people do pbp exalted games?
>>
>>48232261
Why dont you just play with your friends in real life?
>>
>>48232252
They can perform sexual acts. But they are not sexual as humans are. I am not sure they have genitals
>>
>>48232252

>So the jadeborn can have sex right from birth and its okay?

Presumably, they are physically capable. But since they do not reproduce as humans do, instead being born from stone, there's no reason to believe that they have human reproductive organs.

>why so short?

The Yozi made it so. They do not want a repeat of the Primordial War, where their servants rose up and deposed them.
>>
Are there mitochondria in exalted?
>>
>>48232289
Tabletop games aren't really a thing in my country.
>>
>>48232319
Is there any way around the short lifespan?

Also, is there any way to give the jadeborn genitals? I assumed they had genitals because they are fair folk who got caught in creation upon it's creation, so they would have genitals to do narrative stuff
>>
>>48232331
Maybe you should kill everyone in your country with some WMDs
>>
>>48232352

As stated in >>48232237, their lifespan increases as they become more powerful, and DTs are immortal.
>>
>>48232352
>Is there any way around the short lifespan?
Increase your Essence or become a Devil-Tiger.

>Also, is there any way to give the jadeborn genitals?
Sure, mutilate them with sorcery or other magic.

>I assumed they had genitals because they are fair folk who got caught in creation upon it's creation, so they would have genitals to do narrative stuff
A Raksha's genitals are as real as its kingdom and servants. You're lucky mountain folk have human faces.
>>
>>48232386
Would the jadeborn enjoy having genitals?
>>
>>48232352
They are like reverse fair folk now. Born from stone they are as far removed from the wyld as can be.
>>
>>48232394
Do you?
>>
>>48232410
Not really. One of them is far too small, while the other two are far, far too large
>>
Can the dragon kings have sex?
>>
>>48232394
Not likely. Sex is many things, but without sexual drive its not practical. Maybe as a bonding experience with outsiders?
They dont really think about sex. They could have a penis and spend weeks trying to find thier kinks, but they would likely only achive orgasm from purely physical stimulation. No games, no flirting, no cuddles, no dirty talking, no fetishes.. Etc. Probably would a 3 minute wank be the equal to any other sexual acrivity.
>>
Why isn't the pole of wood more heavily populated? It seems like the best suited place in creation for human life. Tons of plant life,
there's a big sea, and the temperature seem good.
>>
Is sorcery more viable in third edition?
>>
>>48232515

Yes. If anything it's TOO good of an investment.
>>
>>48232444
>>48232444
They breed normally. As normally as birds do. So yes, i guess?
Come to think of it, its weird how many things in exalted CAN hqve sex qnd breed. Elementals and gods for one. Undead for another. I mean, when you can mastrubate into a reslly old fountain and it comes with an elemental blooded kid a tear later you kind of have to wonder about these things.
>>
>>48232471
It is? Scavenger lands are the most densely populated area in creation? Thats in that direction.

Also, further east its not only trees. Its moving aggro trees, super diseases and murder beasts aplenty. Its possible to tame this. But why would you want to? There's plenty space.
>>
>>48232578
but the blessed isle is gay

populated entirely with

homosexuals
>>
Can you make a solar who specializes in, in this order:

combat
sorcery
craft
>>
Can someone post some example Solar's

like the character sheet
>>
>>48232603
Its the baby import trade thats really killing creation.
>>
>>48232627

Yup.
>>
>>48232675
actually, in the blessed isle, whenever the males have gay sex they are required to donate it to the immaculate order who then distribute it to any females who are asking for it
>>
>>48232627

Yes, but be careful with Craft as it's very much an all or nothing ability.
>>
>>48232715
oh, so you cant have craft as your thirdary area of focus?
>>
could the unconquered sun defeat the unguzzled cum?
>>
>>48232740

Not a good idea with how many charms there are and how many have high Essence requirements. Not the mention Craft XP, which means that every problem you meet will raise the question "how can I Craft my way through this?" However, if Craft is your primary focus, you can pick up combat and sorcery no problem.
>>
>>48232788
gay
>>
Is dabbling in sorcery effective?
>>
>>48232879

Yes.
>>
>>48232261
>Exalted
>PBP
Not even once.
>>
>>48232788
It's not really as all-or-nothing as it can seem. A lot of the Charms are about circle jerking big numbers, momentum mechanics largely serve the purpose of just completely short-circuiting the Craft system altogether, etc.
>>
>>48232907
should it be my secondary or tertiary

my character concept is someone addicted to learning and this initially manifested in him learning to fight but he also bookworms getting into sorcery and maybe crafting if its viable
>>
>>48233064

Either/or. It's something you spend Solar XP on, whether it's on spells or workings.
>>
Is Exalted a system particularly prone to powergaming min maxing?
>>
>>48233104
no
>>
What's with all these strange questions?
>>
How do people deal with homebrewing artifact armor? Artifact weapons seem to be relatively easy to make once you get a handle on it, but artifact armor seems a lot harder to get a handle on.
>>
>>48233608
I find it to be no different to homebrewing artifact weapons. It's just a different set of effects.
>>
>>48233676
It just feels like half the sample Evocations are some variant on "+soak" which is lame. (Except for Dauntless, where half the sample Evocations are some variant on -soak.) It's so uninspiring a design space.
>>
>>48232319
>Presumably, they are physically capable. But since they do not reproduce as humans do, instead being born from stone, there's no reason to believe that they have human reproductive organs.

Well, in First and Second Edition they had human reproductive organs. They were sterile among themselves, but were able to get pregnant from or impregnate a human partner, which always weirded them the fuck out.
>>
>>48232991

Forced to be an option for some people.

My friend does shift work so a stable schedule is out of the question. My cousin is a Flight Attendant, so that option is basically the only one for him as well due to time zone issues not only in America, but also in Europe from time to time.
>>
what sound do dogs in creation make?
>>
>>48235136
"Wan wan wan."
>>
File: Nina_ChimeraForm.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Nina_ChimeraForm.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>48235136
"Da...ddy....
>>
can the exalted have sex?
>>
>>48233854
I get you on that. A lot of weapon evocations are just better ways to kill or hurt people, which... I mean, that's really what weapons are supposed to do. As an ST, I really like when players present something interesting to me, for artifacts; something that plays with intimacies, or engages a system besides the direct combat system. A player of mine is playing a Saber expy, which I desperately try to help him make more interesting than just a straight rip, but his version of her Excalibur is aimed more towards the sword of promised victory angle, in the sense that... well, it's basically a Daiklave of Conquest from 2e, now that I think about it, mostly morale boosts for battlegroups and War, when it's visible in combat. It's a pretty fun little interaction, and encourages his lead-from-the-front style approach to war.

And I've turned it into a symbol of terror in most of the villages his army passes through, as he doesn't spend much time helping them beyond just killing all the nasties around them, and typically leaves a mess in his wake.
>>
File: 2ec.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>48235188
>>
Can a pro wrestler esq exalted be made?
>>
Wish the devs were a bit more communicative

The WoD devs talk to their fanbase
>>
>>48236993
They were for a while. Every time they open their mouths, though, rivers of shit runneth forth, so we yell at them until they shut up.
>>
Hey /exg/
Quick rules question: Does anybody know how team work is to be handled in 3x? How do you handle group effort on a task?
I feel like I hit a brick wall in the rues chapter and it seems like a really basic thing but I cant find a single reference to how to handle it....
HELP ME /exg/ You're my only hope :D
>>
>>48237353
One of the writers on the forums suggested letting you do something like a command roll for someone else.

You roll dice, and the number of successes you get is converted into extra dice for them. I've used it in my game a decent bit and there are a few things that it definitely shouldn't be applied to, namely combat or social influence.

What sort of team work are you thinking of?
>>
>>48237480
There have been two instances, one where the night caste wanted to help the dawn on a stealth roll, the other where two players wanted to assist each other with an occult roll (rapid fire discussion about possible weaknesses of a demon that was headed their way).
At the time I just let them use the intelligence of of the smarter PC and the occult of the other (one had INT4/Occult1 and the other had INT2/Occult3).
But I like the "faux command roll" method.
The other big one was feats of Strength though. It hasn't come up in game yet but I anticipate that it will.
>>
>>48236993
>>48237052
For example:
When someone asked Holden why there isn't at least a sidebar alternative or something for the BP/XP point sink, he said something along the lines of "that would be a stupid rule and you don't actually want it".

In another thread that went on a feminism tangent, someone posted citation to Christina Sommers and Holden went "It says a lot about you that you'd cite a rape-promoting shill for the right-wing conspiracy", moderator told him to rein it in and be civil, Holden doubled down with shouting at moderator "My game has a trans man on the cover and my friends are oppressed, I don't have to listen to this shit".

Holden is an absolute fucking trainwreck of a man, and while I certainly wish he'd be more communicative about HOW THE GAME WORKS, I also wish he'd shut the fuck up a lot more about practically everything else.
>>
>>48238777
>My game has a trans man on the cover

Wait, what?
>>
>>48238785
Prince Diamond, sig eclipse who appears on the cover of 3e and on page 146. If by "what" you mean what exactly did Holden say, pic related.
>>
>>48238840
Yeah well, kudos for standing up for his opinions. Shame it sounds like a tantrum.
>>
>>48238840
Man, all of OPP is nuts about social justice stuff, not just Holden.

Remember Beast?
>>
File: 1467709299613.jpg (128 KB, 600x936) Image search: [Google]
1467709299613.jpg
128 KB, 600x936
>>48238840
>Hey dude, stop breaking the rules of the board and be respectful
>NO THIS EVIL NAZI IS AN EVIL NAZI AND AN EVIL NAZI MRA RIGHT-WING CHILDFUCKER RAPE APOLOGIST REEEEEEE

Man, when did being a liberal become this cringeworthy?
>>
>>48238840
Yeah, it's pretty nuts for him to say "My best friend's an anathema, so let me howl to the mod like a retard, about why lunars are scum."
>>
>>48239493
>Yeah well, kudos for standing up for his opinions.
Holden has always, always been a screaming prolapsed anus shouting down opposing opinions. He also happens to be good with mechanics, but that doesn't remotely change his assiness. I could wish he'd grow some professionalism and not continue to be an ass in public while being a developer, but clearly that will never, ever happen.
>>
>>48239800

Ever since it shifted from "classic liberalism" to "progressive liberalism".
>>
So, not to detract from the thread's primary function of bitching about the devs, but I had a game related question.

So the game I'm STing has recently seen the kicking off of the Realm civil war. I'm planning on starting with four factions (Mnemon, Tepet Ejava, Cathak Cainan and Ledaal Kes). I'm roughly planning on the opening stages being proxy wars between satrapies, and semi-covert funding of revolutionaries in other peoples' satrapies, followed by actual direct confrontation between Legions on the Blessed Isle, and an epic showdown battle of some kind.

Does anyone have past stories in a similar vein to relate, or cool ideas on the theme that I could mine for material?
>>
Does anyone has a russian translation of 3ed?
alternatively, if I have to do it myself
How do I edit the .pdf from MEGA?
>>
>>48240824
>Russian translation of 3ed
>do it myself
Anon, are you saying you're going to translate a 650 page book? And no, there isn't and almost certainly never will be an official translation, because that costs more mney than it'd be worth for OPP.
>>
>>48240356
Why does Cathak "I'm old as fuck and even if I tried to rule the Realm I'd die of old age maybe a day after I won the civil war. Also, I'm the most devout Immaculate believer in the entire world and would never do anything that might destabilize the Realm like some filthy Anathema" Cainan even want the Scarlet Throne? Is he just backing someone else?
>>
>>48241212

Precisely because he's a devout immaculate, and wants a stable Realm. He thinks everyone else is just out for their own interests, and will dismantle her Redness' legacy for their own benefit, rather than perpetuate the established system. He's not wrong, either.

His age is a good reason for others not to back him, but not for him to lack any ambition.
>>
>>48241308
Knowing that he almost certainly won't live long enough to establish himself or ensure a smooth transition of power after his death seems like a pretty damn good reason to not try to take thr throne for himself.
>>
>>48240356
Overly zealous satraps kicking things off on their own, some trying to impress their boss, others jostling for personal position or taking advantage of the distraction. Proxy war should do a great job of evolving into actual war almost on its own.
>>
>>48239800
>Man, when did being a liberal become this cringeworthy?
Well, you're the one who's to offended to read, so you'd know what caused your personal problems better than anyone else.
>>
Is orange jade a real thing or just a fan thing?
>>
>>48243645
I've never heard of it. Could you show me where you found a reference to it?
>>
>>48243645
I haven't even heard of it as a fan thing. Are you sure you don't mean yellow jade?
>>
>>48243645

Definitely a fan thing. Yellow Jade was only barely a thing but it looks like it might have been dropped for Ex3. Good riddance.
>>
>>48243706
>>48243730
>>48243744
Thanks, it was brought up on ExalTwitch, and I remember reading it as a fan thing on the old wiki, made from vitriol. He might just be doing his own thing though.
>>
>>48243790
I thought vitriol had no Magical Material of its own but could be used to corrupt artifacts of any material into Infernal-friendly versions. That was kind of the Yozis' whole thing.
>>
>>48238777

Christina Hoff Sommers is a fucking moron and the worst part of this is that Holden is actually right about how stupid it is to link her in any discussion that's trying to take itself seriously.

But he is so fucking antagonistic and does not even think about how the shit he says is received, that he makes the fucking company look dumb. I hope he gets muzzled.
>>
>>48243995
Christina Hoff Sommers is a perfectly reasonable, intelligent person. Certainly smarter than Holden.
>>
>>48241203
Why not?
>>
>>48244067

To be fair anyone who can keep shitty arguments afloat for so long is a master at their craft.

Sommers is full of shit, but I'm not sure what he meant with Sargon as he never admitted to being an MRA. I thought his Gamergate thing was really stupid myself.

While not much can done up front, I think someone slapped him in the back room as I don't see him posting as much anymore.
>>
/exg/, I have a fluff question. Ex3's core rulebook, page 94, makes referance to "The ruins of a Heaven older by far than Yu-Shan--the celestial capital of fallen Zen-Mu, where the ancients dwelt in majesty before they every dreamed of creation. Woe betide those who behold the gods that dwell there now."

Is this referanced at all in previous editions, and if so where? What else do we know about this place? Is it lovecraft?
>>
>>48245066
Zen-Mu is where the Primordials first dwelt before Creation. It's where Theon crossed the Acid Sea to rule Them as their King.

One of the devs (Holden I think) described what's left using a quote from the 2006 Superman film, it still exists if your Circle want to fly off into space/Wlyd and find it, but it's a graveyard with nothing left of the great Primordials that once called it home.

Google: exalted-second-edition/ink-monkeys-vol-40-the-legend-of-the-titans

It's the facebook link, gives stories of Zen-Mu
>>
>>48245066
Zen-Mu was something mentioned in the later portions of 2E's fluff, in the context of being among the most ancient and mythical of ancient myths. Basically, it was the Primordials' first attempt at having a home; unlike Creation, which was a great working which made a whole new kind of reality for them to inhabit, Zen-Mu was essentially just a bunch of Primordials hanging around and being a universe. It was ruled by Mardukth, Who Holds In Thrall, The Mountain and the Beast Upon It, who was so huge he that he couldn't believe how huge he was; he spent all his time asking everything "AM I MARDUKTH?" and everything answered "YES YOU ARE STILL MARDUKTH".

Eventually, the Primordial who would become Malfeas showed up, along with some of his flunky Primordials, and took over the place. Then they all went looking for the Shining Answer, before eventually deciding "you know what, let's just settle for making a universe" and then they all made Creation.
>>
File: Instincts.jpg (180 KB, 878x683) Image search: [Google]
Instincts.jpg
180 KB, 878x683
>>48245066
>Ex3 has a fucking portal to Zen-Mu
>every Twilight's face when
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 903x505) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 903x505
/tg/, what would be the best way for a Solar to go about defacing a celestial body in the night sky with crude graffiti?
>>
Quick! You and your squad are battling the contrary Abyssal circle and suddenly your Sidereal does some crazy wizardry and transforms the Abbyssies into cute shotas and lolis! What do you do?
>>
>>48246456

Death Ray is good, if showy. It also means that you don't have to break into Heaven or fly to the moon.
>>
>>48246536
Spank them for being such bad children.
>>
>>48246536
Celestial Bliss Trick them, then kill my GM for putting his Magical Realm in here.
>>
>>48246581
>Your GM's fetish is being killed by a player whose character just got done having sex with children
>You've only made him happier
>>
>>48246536
Murder the fuck out of them because they probably have some shitty penalties to their stats for being baboos.

Congratulate the Sidereal for their clever thinking that allowed them to debuff the Abyssals despite their no doubt impressive defensive Charm set.
>>
>>48246536
Kill the kids, just like every other time
>>
File: 1454387086615.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454387086615.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
my lads what is the cult of the illuminated?
>>
>>48248534
check the glossary at the start of 3rd edition
>>
>>48248534

1) Solars are very strong.
2) Solars are very free-willed.
3) #1 makes them very useful. #2 makes them very dangerous.
4) Create a cult that erodes #2 through careful brainwashing and fawning.
5) ????
6) SIDEREALS!
>>
>>48244707
I'm more sympathetic to GamerGate than the shrill fuckers they're criticizing, but I'm not strongly invested either way and at least Exalted doesn't sacrifice the game for the sake of pandering like Beast did.

I'm reasonably sure everyone at OPP has to toe the line on this regardless, see also Beast's first draft referencing GamerGate directly in the text and using caricatures of "entitled cis white males" as its villain splat.

Regardless, I am grateful that Exalted ended up as good as it did while the guy who wrote Demon made a universally reviled abortion like Beast. It provided me a great deal of schadenfreude.

>>48248534
They're basically the Gold Faction's answer to the Bronze Faction's Immaculate Order: a pro-Anathema religious group that is meant to sell people on the returning Solars while simultaneously providing a method to indoctrinate and educate nascent Solars to serve the goals of the Gold Faction, or at least not degenerate into the power-tripping god-kings they were in the First Age.
>>
File: Sickened.jpg (57 KB, 586x438) Image search: [Google]
Sickened.jpg
57 KB, 586x438
>>48249068

>pandering like Beast did.
>Beast's first draft referencing GamerGate directly in the text and using caricatures of "entitled cis white males" as its villain splat.

Do I even want to know more about this?
>>
>>48249068
>>48248534

How well the Cult of the Illuminated works can also be seen in the merits and failings of the Immaculate Order. Yeah, the people in the Immaculate Order generally try to work for the common good, but it really hasn't done a good job in helping the Dynasts be enlightened paragons and models for mortals rather than just power-tripping demi-gods either.
>>
>>48249187

Not really, no.

The final release version is better, but it's still a bad game.

The only reason I read it was so I could steal the good bits (Lairs and Satiety), fuse them into Leviathan, and move on.
>>
Morke and Holden are liars
>>
>>48249068
>I'm more sympathetic to GamerGate than the shrill fuckers they're criticizing, but I'm not strongly invested either way
This is self-contradictory.
>>
>>48249187
More or less, Beasts are supposed to be a metaphor for marginalized minorities, particularly LGBT people: outcasts of society branded as monsters by the mainstream. Heroes are meant to be the people who go out and kill the 'monsters,' having a pathological need to hunt Beasts and feed their own ego, ala Gaston from the Beauty and the Beast. The text specifically calls out heroes as dogmatic and obsessed, and makes note that a good comparison to Heroes would be GamerGate. Which uh, really says a lot about the game and the people writing it.

The thing is, Beasts are /also/ fundamentally horrible monsters, like how Vampires need to prey on people to stay alive. Beasts need to feed off the fear of ordinary humans, which can range from a Beast cabbie dropping his customers in the very worst parts of town, a Beast kidnapping children so their family members will freak out, or just a Beast straight up /eating people./

Furthermore, unlike Beasts, Heroes have zero agency. Beasts create Heroes through their feeding, essentially turning Heroes into murderous psychopaths against their will. A perfectly ordinary person who lives too close to a Beast is turned into an obsessed serial killer because the Beast fucked up.

So, it even fucks up its own metaphor when people look at this and conclude 'wow, Beasts really are monsters and Heroes are way more sympathetic.'

Basically it's a game that made a lot of people unhappy and fails on multiple levels.

But the unforgivable part is that it's a bad game in and of itself because it doesn't answer the question 'but what the fuck are you meant to /do/ besides fuck with people and fight Heroes?'
>>
>>48249227

That was never the intention of the Immaculate Order, though. If anything, it fed Dragon-Blooded egos, and increased their mandate to be bastards, because it was all about legitimising their rule. It was never intended to be a leash on their behaviour the way the Cult of the Illuminated did.
>>
>>48249346
I guess. But mostly it's just going to go on forever and I have a life outside of internet drama.
>>
>>48249385

You should read their section in the Ex3 corebook again.
>>
>>48249385
The Immaculate Order does mention that the Dragonblooded have standards they are meant to live up to, and there are instances of Immaculate Monks censuring particularly horrible Dynasts. In the end though, yeah, it is probably way more neutered in terms of how it can address problem people than the Cult of the Illuminated, mostly because the Immaculates teach that it's your moral duty to follow even the worst and shittiest Dynast, and that karma is supposed to punish bad Dynasts rather than any form of tangible action or rebellion.
>>
>>48249376

Heroes sound quite heroic. Was that their intention? I can easily see a tragic hero angle for them, Greek Myths seem like a solid inspiration for them.
>>
>>48249491
>Heroes sound quite heroic.

They do.

>Was that their intention?

Not even in the slightest.
>>
>>48249426

You mean this bit:
> This philosophy holds that Dragon-Blooded are inhereently suited to rule mortals, by right of their superior spiritual station. The Immaculate Order, the world’s leading proponent of the philosophy, enforces practice of this religion everywhere the Realm’s banner flies. The Order is a centralized, bureaucratized faith based on the Blessed Isle. Schismatic sects are tolerated only so long as they differ not from the Order on the matter of Terrestrial spiritual and political primacy.
>As well as justifying Dragon-Blooded political dominance and Dynastic imperial ambitions, the Immaculate Philosophy also serves an important role by restraining selfish or wicked deities from enslaving mortals. Left to their own devices, many gods would demand ruinous tributes from every mortal they could force themselves upon. Some gods delight in consuming humans as sacrifices or forcing victims to pray themselves to death. The Immaculates dictate to gods that they will receive their fair share of devotion and prayer, while restraining their more abhuman appetites and checking their gluttony for Essence.

Nothing there says the Immaculate Philosophy has anything to do with restraining the Dragon-Blooded. Sure, in there somewhere it has the standards of behaviour expected of them, but there's no punishment for violating them, and nobody to really hold them to account. Like the text says, it's purpose is "justifying Dragon-Blooded political dominance and Dynastic imperial ambitions", with a nice side-effect of muzzling the more obnoxuious gods.
>>
>>48249491
That was the opposite of their intention. They're meant to be bad guys with self-righteous heroic delusions who are based on real life bad guys with heroic delusions, but they accidentally wrote a setting where their delusions are accurate.

They even got the "we have no agency and everything we do is all our victims' fault so please don't judge us by our own standards" part. That's rather remarkable, since most people don't even bother to address it.
>>
>>48249670

>"we have no agency and everything we do is all our victims' fault so please don't judge us by our own standards"

Aka "why does my wife make me hit her?"

Seriously though, I'm getting a serious Hercules/Van Helsing vibe. They should have made the books about the Heroes instead.
>>
>>48249742
>Aka "why does my wife make me hit her?"
It's more like "bad things just tend to happen to people we don't like, HINT HINT HINT". They don't explicitly deny their own agency so much as conspicuously avoid describing their actions accurately. Either they present them as a natural consequence of their victims' evil opinions, or they describe different actions ("criticism" is a favorite) and act like that's all they do.
>>
>>48249742
The book says that if you want to play a "good" hero, play Hunter: The Vigil.

Which just makes me burst out laughing because Hunter: The Vigil addresses the moral ambiguity and ethical issues of hunting monsters-that-are-also-people waaaaaay better than Beast.
>>
You know, if nothing else, Exalted has given me an appreciation for developers that know how to handle a project and interact with their customers with little to no disasters. That's something.

That and they're still better than a lot of Onyx Path, from the sound of it.
>>
>>48250299

Nah, in terms of project management and interacting with customers, the Exalted team is pretty much the worst in Onyx Path.

There's worse than them when it comes to delivering a good product, but not when it comes to PR and customer relations.
>>
>>48250299
Beast is one stinker from Onyx Path, and it has the enormous advantage that it wasn't vaporware for like three years running. They actually gave backers the PDF.
>>
>>48250299
They have shitty PR and fan interaction, but for all that they still made a game I like and that's the only really important thing.

>>48250431
Mage20th also pissed people off.
>>
>>48250431
Honestly giving the backers the pdf was the start of all the problems.

Even promising to "revise the thing from the ground up" in light of all the backlash resulted in minimal improvement and alteration of cosmetic issues at best.
>>
>>48250469

>Mage20th also pissed people off.

Did it? How so?
>>
>>48250514
Well, they hired Satyros Phil Brucato to write it, and I can't think of anyone who wrote for Mage that's more loathed.

Apparently he took the opportunity to bring in a great deal of what people dislike about him into the book.
>>
>>48250504
>Honestly giving the backers the pdf was the start of all the problems.
As opposed to not giving them the pdf and thus it being exactly as terrible as it was at first, but as a complete surprise?
>>
>>48250572
Because they promised 'yeah we'll totes change everything people are unhappy about in that pdf' and then not really doing that.
>>
>>48250597

That's not giving the PDF pissing people off, it's promising something and not doing is pissing people off.
>>
>>48250634
I'd honestly be happier with a complete shitshow out of the box than them saying 'we get what you're saying and we'll change it' and then not doing it. But this is just me.
>>
>>48250670
If I'm following this conversation right, so would the guy you're replying to. He's just saying that they never should have promised something they had no intention of doing. If they'd given the pdf out and said 'Fuck your concerns, we know what we're doing' that still would have been better than promising they'd change things and not actually doing so.
>>
Has anyone made any sorcery homebrew? And where could I go to find it?
>>
>>48253176
I've done a spell and a few shaping rituals. I can share them when I get home in a half hour famalam
>>
>>48253972
Tyrant's Flame:
The draconic will of the Desert Tyrant burns within the Sorcerer, an inferno of energy that shapes sorcerous motes with it's presence alone.
Once per story, the Sorcerer may roll (Temporary Willpower+Occult), forcing their will onto Creation to gather sorcerous. For each success, the Tyrant Flame within his heart feeds on the sorcerous motes gathered, channeling the amplified essence and burning it onto the Sorcerer's own flesh which appears as bands of runes, one each per success.
Once per scene, the Sorcerer may reflexively consume a band of tattoos, instantly receiving a surge of 1+(Essence*2) Sorcery Motes.
>>
>>48254269
>>48253176

Explosion! (1wp, 20sm, Celestial Circle Sorcery)
Keywords: Decisive Only, Perilous
Duration: Instant

A Molten Vortex of plasma churning in a sea of sorcerous dust and motes, a spiral galaxy that forms high above the Sorcerer. A promulgation of the Rules of Nature, the burning name of the destruction incarnate, ancient sorcery drawn from the Five Poles of Creation. The Hammer of Eternity descends from it's core, a star born of fire and destruction, the semblance of Sol Invictus in his Glorious Radiance that descends upon the singularity of inevitability: Explosion!

A miniature sun surges forth from the galaxy of sorcerous essence towards a single point in space within Long range of the Sorcerer's sight, rolling (Occ. + Perc. + Essence) as a decisive attack. The star embodies the pure destructive will of the Sorcerer, with base damage equal to (her Initiative + current temporary Willpower + Essence), and resets her to (base Initiative + Essence) on a successful attack. The star strikes in massive area of effect, incinerating everything in a sphere within Medium range of the point struck and is undodgeable and unparriable with mundane weapons, which melt on contact with the star. Battlegroups are especially vulnerable to this spell and suffer -2 their defense value. Each target that takes at least 3 damage to their health track is ignited in an inferno (environmental hazard equal to Lava, p. 230 of Core) that englufs him all terrain within close range of him, and burns until the next day.

A Sorcerer who knows Explosion! as her control spell may expend her entire periphery essence pool towards the attack, adding 1 die to the raw damage of the spell for every 2m of essence spent.
>>
File: poe.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
>>48254292
>>48254269
>>48253972
Archetype: 8-Ignition Way: Darker than Black and Blacker than Dark: Brilliance that Burns with the Fury of the Crimson Demon Clan– The Path of Explosions

Shaping Rituals:
Flames and explosions dance with the Crimson Demon Clan as if they were sisters. As she gives life to and shapes new infernos into the world as she walks the Path of Explosions, her conflagrations breathe new essence into her. Once per round, the Sorcerer may draw up to (Essence) sorcery motes from any bonfire or greater ignition she has caused. These sorcery motes last until sunrise and may only be spent towards casting fire or explosive based spells.

Those of the Crimson Demon Clan are naturally inclined towards unnecessarily longwinded spell-chants. When the Sorcerer stunts a shape sorcery action to cast a fire or explosion spell, that spell's cost is reduced by (1 + 2*Stunt Rating) sorcery motes until the end of the round.

The sorcerers who follow the Path of Explosions are forever changed by the power and warmth that flows through them when the shape the essence of creation into a spell, harnessing it for their explosions. Their idea of a proper introduction however, lacks the same sort of impressiveness. Once per story, the Sorcerer may stunt her over the top and theatrical introduction to a unknown group, gathering (3*Stunt Rating) sorcery motes that last until the story ends.

NOW ANON. COME WITH ME AND WALK THE PATH OF EXPLOSIONS!
>>
File: Hurr.jpg (44 KB, 450x418) Image search: [Google]
Hurr.jpg
44 KB, 450x418
>>48254292
>A Sorcerer who knows Explosion! as her control spell may expend her entire periphery essence pool towards the attack, adding 1 die to the raw damage of the spell for every 2m of essence spent.
>>
>>48254313
No you do not get to go half way.
The Path of Explosions DEMANDS you go all out.
ALL OR NOTHING ANON (I really should add some kind of reward for actually having the balls to dump your entire mote pool into the spell).
>>
File: 1448471929520.png (105 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1448471929520.png
105 KB, 256x256
>There's nothing in the RAW that says you can't take an Aim action before using a combat spell like Brilliant Raptor or Obsidian Butterflies
>>
>>48255033
Doesn't need to be; it's impractical anyway. You lose the Aim bonus if you don't attack on your /next/ turn, meaning you have to finish the shaping in a single turn - and both FotBR and DoOB cost 15 sorcerous motes, which is difficult to get in a single shape sorcery action.
>>
File: 1458092251560.png (16 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1458092251560.png
16 KB, 180x180
>>48255201
It's actually really easy to cast Raptor in one turn.

Lets say Raptor is our control spell
Suzerain of Endless Flame reduces Raptor's cost to 12.
Talisman's charge shaping ritual to draw (Stunt Rating+2) smotes when we first start casting (It's the most reliable source of smotes in the book, I think).

Speciality in spell casting
5 Occult, 5 Int, 5 Perception
Take a normal shape sorcery and a 1 star stunt
Use Supernal Control Method for a free full excellency
You have a die pool of 23 for ~11.5 successes, with a standard deviation of 3.21
With 3 from the talisman, you'll be hitting the 12 smotes you need for raptor pretty consistently on your first turn.

If you want to get more churazy, grab stuff like Heaven-Turning Calculation and get more free non-charm dice.
>>
>>48255201
Or you can gather 18 S-Motes, lose 3 by not casting on your aim turn and then fire the spell on the next round
>>
>>48255412
Relying on 2 different unusual circumstances and having 2 attributes and one ability maxed out to usually make it does not qualify as "really easy".
>>
>>48256439
>2 different unusual circumstances

What "unusual circumstances" were there in that description? The only one I can think of was having the Talisman charged, and if you've taken that Shaping Ritual, that's not a particularly unusual circumstance.
>>
What's the simplest way to get across the basics of the setting and 3rd edition's mechanics to someone new or from 2e?
>>
>>48258957
2e: "Clean slate".
New: "Buckets of dice and the power levels have no sense of scale."
>>
>>48259056
How would you help them understand the new combat and social systems?
>>
>>48259178
I think I'd run a short game for them, maybe with mortals, and explain things through actual play.
>>
>>48259304
This. It's equally applicable to people coming in from 2E and people who are totally blank slates.
>>
File: Megumin explosion.png (1 MB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Megumin explosion.png
1 MB, 848x1200
>>48254292
You know what? I would absolutely allow that spell at my table sans the control effect, which is amusing but also broken as fuck.
>>
The rule that you only get anima up if you spend 5 peripheral motes at once seems hacktastic; no you can't split your spending across pools, unless your pools are low.

I also get the impression that a fuckload of Charm costs were yanked up to 5 motes to cross the "anima up if you use this" threshold, and not quite as many of them were made worth it.
>>
>>48232252

The Infernals short life span is "A Feature" not a bug. Basically the Yozi don't want a Primordial War 2.0. Not that it will ever actually get to that point for a multitude of reasons.
>>
How could an Eclipse exalt? I mean, don't Dawns exalt like in middle of battles?
>>
>>48261511
Your exaltation doesn't have to suit your caste, some people even get an exaltation that doesn't currently match their skillset or outlook, but those are rare. Castes are more about your potential.
Also an Eclipse-themed exaltation could be related to a long arduous journey and trials to deliver a message, reaching somewhere in time to stop something bad. Or making a significant pact between opposed groups, saving your village or out-doing your rivals and enemies at court. It could be upholding your end of a difficult oath to prove the honour of your word.
Or just go over their Ability list, sailing well, taking care of your mount, bringing an organisation up from ruin. Treating with fae or spirits.
>>
>>48259507
How would you write up the control effect to replicate "Megumin using up all her mana on every Explosion"?
I really was reaching when I made the control effect and decided to go with half the efficiency of an Excellency.
>>
>>48261511
>>48261636
One of my favorite and the one a lot of people forget about - brilliantly screwing over or cheating someone. Or placing "evidence", implicating a third party, causing your enemies to wipe each other out. Think like Eldrad and exalt for being an epic dick.
>>
>>48262049
Yeah, basically any magnificent bastard politicking like frank underwood or little finger.
>>
>>48261511
Doing any of the Eclipse supernals?
>>
>>48261511
An Eclipse in my group Exalted while haggling over a rug in the middle of a marketplace.

As the Unconquered Sun blessed him for being such a penny-pincher, he reached down, touched the rug and, in a violent display of Essence screamed "FRUGAL MERCHANT METHOD!" and realized that the owner of the shop was trying to rip him off.
>>
File: Megumin 2.jpg (193 KB, 555x900) Image search: [Google]
Megumin 2.jpg
193 KB, 555x900
>>48261798
Keep in mind that an Essence 3 Solar (you need to be at least Essence 3 to cast Celestial Circle Sorcery) would have 66 motes of essence.

Under what you wrote, if a player spent all of their Essence, they would be making a Decisive attack of Initiative + Temp Willpower + 3 (Essence) +33. Assuming a Temp Willpower of 8 and 6 Initiative, this means your Solar will be rolling an AoE Decisive attack with 50 dice.

That's quite a bit.

I would probably lower it to 1 extra damage for every 5 motes spent.

That way your average Essence 3 Solar, if they only had 6 Initiative, would be rolling ~30 decisive damage dice. Which is still impressive, doesn't feel as overwhelming and feels like a somewhat bigger sacrifice on the part of the player.
>>
File: Peleps Deled.jpg (41 KB, 302x327) Image search: [Google]
Peleps Deled.jpg
41 KB, 302x327
Why is Peleps Deled the best Dragon Blooded?
>>
>>48265027

Because he allows Realm fanboys to chestthump about DBS STRONK and allows Solar fanboys to chestthump about DBS = ORCS. The perfect polarizing figure to degenerate any discussion into tribal lines.
>>
>>48265027
He is not me.
>>
>>48265233
Are you a Dragon Blooded? If you are can we make babies together?
>>
Based on Inexorable Advance (p. 549) from Sidereals which I will quote here.

>Negate all wound or mobility penalties on a rush roll, and complete the movement instantly on a success, instead of waiting for the target to move. If the Sidereal attacks a character on the same turn she rushes them with Inexorable Advance, they take -1 Defense.

Trying to figure out the cost of a Evocation that would allow you to instantly complete the extra movement of a Rush or a Disengage. So this is an expansion of what this Charm offers in that way, however removing the negation of penalties and the penalty to defense if I then attack.

Not sure how each of these would be costed out.
>>
>>48265438
Depends. How cute are you?
>>
What social action would you need to take to convince somebody to stop doing what they're doing?
>>
>>48265746
My mom tells me I'm cute.
>>
>>48266058

Persuade, and it'll eat the "turning over social influence" penalty if they were persuaded into it.
>>
>>48239800
Holden is right, at least. No one should respect Sargon or Sommers at all.
>>
Is there a god of love in creation?
>>
File: Krame Impala.jpg (136 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Krame Impala.jpg
136 KB, 600x600
>>48266307
That falls under Venus' portfolio of Serenity, but there's probably a few people who handle specific aspects of love (a god of first dates, a god of long-term relationships, a god of friends with benefits) who answer to a general god of romance who does the day-to-day management of it all for Venus. so she can focus on the bigger picture.
>>
>>48239766

Beast is the exact opposite of social justice stuff though?
>>
>>48266361
Is there any canon name for a god of lewds
>>
>>48266374
It was written with the intent to be SJW stuff, the author was just completely tone deaf. If anything it's a really good example of SJW-as-a-pejorative, where you emphasize teams (teh heroes are Goobergrabblers!) over actual issues of justice and morality (the Beasts are all horrific abusive monsters, but because they're coded as benighted queers, it's okay).
>>
>>48266402
Livilla is the God of Prostitution. She's also a hermaphrodite.

I don't think there's been a released god who represents actual carnal acts - the closest I can think of is Ipithymia. She's a rule 63 loli Unconquered Sun and is one of Malfeas' Third Circle Souls and represents his lust, but she's a demon rather than a god.
>>
File: 1468081039825.gif (53 KB, 563x346) Image search: [Google]
1468081039825.gif
53 KB, 563x346
So, how would you make an artifact a la Tyrfing that has to kill someone every time it's drawn? I'd say maybe it has Evocations that give big bonuses to decisive damage when you activate it but if you don't land a hit that kills someone when you do activate this stuff, you fall under a curse of some kind or get hurt yourself?
>>
>>48267704
Either you literally can't sheathe it until it kills somebody, it just won't go in, or it gives a stacking -1 penalty to all actions every time it's sheathed without killing someone until it gets to kill (unattuning doesn't cancel this, but destroying the artifact does).

I'd give it a bit of a gimmick somewhere else, though, just because "it's really good at killing people" is a rather shitty design space for an artifact to work in (being really good at killing people is what your basic Charms are for). Something like "it gives the wielder bonuses (including noncombat ones) when it kills/wounds someone" or "it doesn't just kill its victims, it cuts them out of the memory of those who loved them."
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.