[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/ what's your favorite idea? (world-building/world-lore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: beingcreative.jpg (106 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
beingcreative.jpg
106 KB, 640x361
/tg/ what's your favorite idea?

(world-building/world-lore thread)
>>
>>48227092
No elves, orcs, or dwarves isn't a creative idea, /tg/! It's just as bland as having them.
>>
File: shadow_knight_by_omer88-d7aa3he.jpg (248 KB, 693x844) Image search: [Google]
shadow_knight_by_omer88-d7aa3he.jpg
248 KB, 693x844
>>48227130
I included orcs, dwarves, and elves as 'dead' races. The new world was built on top of theirs and crushed it down into the endless expanse that creation sits on top of.

They recently started popping back up again as shades and have been causing trouble in some remote corners of the world. No one really knows what their endgame is, just that they like to harp on about their warlord when they aren't killing the shit out of their surroundings.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcyMDMzNTQxNjQ1.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcyMDMzNTQxNjQ1.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
An idea I had for God.

God can, and will die eventually from old age, and when that happens he let's the highest of the clergy know and then they start gathering people who are the purest of any one thing. For instance, the most pious or vengeful man alive.

This ends up being like electing a new pope, but crazier. All across the world people are defending these people who are or claim to be the world's most X man.

In the end God will choose from one of them who is still alive and ascend them to Godhood.

When this happens, they are welcome to shape the world in any which way they see fit.

In the game I ran, there had been three before. The last was the best warlord in the world and the 2nd admired that in him and let him take his place. So the third was a god of warfare and weaponry. And that's how gunpowder was invented.
>>
>>48227092
One of the demigods in my setting made herself a fortress out of mountains.

Now, she didn't just take a mountain range and fortify it. She took a flat spot of land and pulled the mountains up out of the ground and used them as fortifications for her territory. Then she struck a deal with the cold Northern wind to make the air above their peaks so turbulent as to be impassible for all but her chosen soldiers.

Obscene shows of power like this are a lot of fun in fantasy. I don't think they get used enough outside of vague myths.
>>
File: OglafOneDay.png (85 KB, 176x206) Image search: [Google]
OglafOneDay.png
85 KB, 176x206
>>48227817
>>
>>48227092
I like to inject my settings with a convenient way to run dungeon crawls with zero plot relevance. It's for when I don't have the full group, we're between campaigns, or I need some extra time to write more plot for the next relevant session. Usually it's a huge wizard's tower that has been affected by a run-rampant space/time spell that causes the entrances around its base to lead to random dungeons that are cleared for EXP. And Loot. A city has sprung up around it whose whole economy is based on it.
>>
>>48227092

I have a strange fascination with making the worlds I create flat and infinite in every dimension, with giant edge-of-the-world type waterfalls and rocky overhangs over bottomless cliffs that feature airship docks or lighthouses.
>>
>>48228315
Flat worlds are best worlds. Don't let anyone tell you different.
>>
Svirfneblin weremoles. Since moles are a symbol of their primary deity, would weremoles occupy a sacred place in society? Would the be hereditary? Paladins?

Weremoles, whatever their stats are probs can't fight gud. So would they protect cities by burrowing escape tunnels fast as fuck?

Basically what do a weremole do in svirfneblin land?
>>
>>48228454

I don't generally like flat worlds that aren't infinitely expansive, though. A flat world that just ends leaves too many questions that rarely get answered to my satisfaction.

Technically you could say that an infinite flat world is effectively the same as an infinite round world, but I like the objective up/down.
>>
>>48228492
Diggy diggy cleric
>>
>>48227130
Orcs are not a creative color.
>>
>All of this has happened before and will do so again.
I just really like the idea of cyclical time and reincarnation.
>>
A setting where everyone is a wizard or sorcerer or witch or warlock or thaumaturge or whatever. Magic is stupidly abundant and nearly everyone has access to it.
>>
>>48227092
Lost/dead civilizations

From Rome analouges to Alien Forerunners, I find them all incredibly interesting.
>>
>>48229289
>THIS IS MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE WHO HAS NO MAGIC.
But yeh, that actually sounds like it could be interesting, not like everyone's gonna be an archmage.
>>
a constantly moving setting, like being on a train or ship. It lets you change things up, and maybe play with claustrophobia and/or exploration of the moving thing itself
>>
>>48227092
Bigass monsters smashing each other. Was something that initially drew me to Hordes, before finding out that infantry dominated the game.

Still have thoughts of a Primal Rage style setting with players playing dinosaur gods and having human cults worship them.
>>
>>48227092
Magic threated as a science rather than some mystical and unexplainable bullshit
>>
File: ModernWarfare.png (953 KB, 969x2773) Image search: [Google]
ModernWarfare.png
953 KB, 969x2773
modern feudalism, anyone?
>>
>>48230108
>THIS IS MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE WHO HAS NO MAGIC.

That was basically one of the plots of SaGa Frontier II. Prince in a high magic setting is exiled because he has no magic, so he gets a bunch of other low magic dudes, gives them magic dampening metal arms and armor, and stomps some shit.
>>
>>48227092
A society that believes in re-incarnation but only has a finite pool of souls. Everyone is a re-incarnated hero (or occasional villain), and learning about your own past 'history' is a normal part of education.

The population only grows when heroic souls from other cultures are ritually (and possibly sacrificially?) absorbed. If there are more babies than souls, some of them are almost certainly demons trying to hijack a soulless infant in order to enter the world and cause havoc.
>>
>>48227092
The world has a doughnut shape, with the sun bobbing up and down through the center.

A person standing on the innermost portion would see the sun move from one horizon to the other, then back again. Someone on the outermost surface would see one of the horizons glow dimly every twelve hours but otherwise live in total darkness.

Obviously, the innermost and outermost sections of the world are quite difficult to traverse. There is very little contact between the top and bottom sections of the ring. It is those sections that are most agreeable to humanoid cultures.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.