[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Q: how do I into comfy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1467867175614.jpg (661 KB, 800x1072) Image search: [Google]
1467867175614.jpg
661 KB, 800x1072
Q: how do I into comfy?
>>
>>48219851
"Slice of Life" roleplays.
>>
>>48220232
That can get really creepy really fast.
>>
>>48220232
... out of game creepy, that is.
>>
>>48220446
>>48220452
Anything can get creepy if people want to get Magical Realm about it. Hell, regular DnD is kinda magical-realmy already when you have dragon-blooded humans and gender-swap magical magical items existing in the official handbooks.
>>
>>48219851
Ryuutama
GURPS
>>
File: Yume eating.webm (596 KB, 590x666) Image search: [Google]
Yume eating.webm
596 KB, 590x666
>>48219851
I have no experience with face-to-face games, but a solo campaign I'm running through PbP actually got comfy to the point where I actively have to try to un-comfy it.

Long story short, a rebellion in the bad part of town combined with gang activity horribly lowered real estate prices. My player was able to buy a house there and now the entire game revolves around him getting settled down. To be fair I gave him a lot of leeway in designing his house and the stuff he put in there (I basically told him that 800 gold + half his current wealth (he's level 3) would be enough to buy the house and everything he'd ever want inside it). He also made a lot of new friends in the region, including some gnomish merchants (gnomes are the medieval jews of my setting).

Even if I decide to uncomfy this, I still have to deal with the obstacle of his house: it's HIS house now, with HIS home city. He'll always end up being connected to it one way or another. But on the other hand I appreciate his desire to roleplay, so I can't really complain. That's why it's a challenge and not a problem.
>>
>>48221759
How do you play a "solo game?"
>>
>>48219851
Hard sci-fi set on a ship going a tenth of light speed to the nearest star to terraform an Earth-like planet. The campaign is based round maintaining the ship and shooting the shit with the crew. Plenty of time to get comfy on that long as fuck voyage, can even quickly turn into a drama/horror/survival scenario if you get bored of that.

There ya go.
>>
>>48219851
Give players things to customize and manage.
A household, a ship, a guild - anything that they can control and manage to their tastes.
Bam, instant comfy.
>going on a quest to get luxurious furniture for your house or improving the reputation of your personal guild
If that shit ain't comfy, I don't know what is.
>>
>>48219851
>Q: how do I into comfy?

Barrels and explosions.
>>
>>48222367
One player, one DM
>>
>>48221759
Sounds like you need ideas for a city game. Check out 1001 City Adventure Seeds and Vornheim. That should help you address your problem.
The best way to de-comfy it, if that's what you want to do, is put his house in danger, to out his friends in danger, and put his city in danger. His early adventures should have two parts, the adventure itself and coming home. Later on, the threats will threaten the investment the character has made in their property and any additional tenants they may pcm up or aquire.
>>
>>48223450
That sounds like great advice. Thanks!
Hopefully it'll work better than the time I unironically took /tg/'s advice on the "burglars break and enter, steal nothing" plot hook
>>
>>48219851
I find this an interesting question OP sparked my interests, you see there is a board called /pol/ that get supremely comfy when happenings happen. When something destructive isn't happening they talk about how it will happen and stress over it. This seems that it should correlate with most RPGs since often times they are an escalating plot into a horrific fight. I understand that pol is hated here and isn't related but whenever there is a major riot make some hot chocolate, wrap yourself in a blanket and watch some livestreams with racists on the Internet. I can only speculate if it is some sort doomsaying validation, in which the person who is viewed as insane now feels rational and lucid.

Buy other people create comfy by hitting emotional responses associated with lived experiences i.e. the gondola threads (a derivative spurdo sparde meme) the boards that have webms with sound the music they choose with each gondola picture easily hits a nostalgia or a sense of awe dependant on the context. A brief look at their current thread >>>/wsg/1164460

new gondolas that stick out to me are the Wallace and Gromit one which works for me due to the tea steaming and the space station 13 gondola due to the random horrific sound effects to the background of a great plasma fire
>>
>>48223827
You gotta be careful with lists from Doc Aquatic.
>>
bapumbs
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.