[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DBZ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
What system would you use to run a DBZ campaign?

I've seen Tenra Bansho Zero get recommended but I don't know anything about it.

I've also seen a few homebrew RPGs in various states of completeness. I haven't really read them and I can't find people commenting at all on some of them.

Since I'm thinking of running a game that has Saiyans, I'd like something with a high and wide range of powerlevels. At least enough to have players start at around Raditz-tier and get up to SSJ2.
>>
>>
>>48215399
Mutants and Masterminds I guess?
Dragonball heroes later frequently have less and less to do with actual martial arts and more to do with raw power and speed in their fights (fights are just blurs of speed and motion combined with energy blasts), so systems that focus on martial arts won't really work well.
M&M could handle the power scale and necessarily diversity I guess, but the same-eyness of different characters powers when the Z phase of the comic sets in really means a lot of characters will end up looking similar statwise, just with higher powers.

I kno there's a Fuzion-based Dragonball Z RPG, but I dunno how good it actually is.
>>
>>48215970
>I kno there's a Fuzion-based Dragonball Z RPG, but I dunno how good it actually is.

The reason why there's so many DBZ homebrew RPGs is because of how bad it is.
>>
>>48215970
that was sorta the point of the progression of the series.

Martial Arts don't matter once your of godly strength and speed, though it helps.

Goku didn't really become anything special compared to the major shit until his space flight to Namek.
>>
>>48216004
That's what I figured.
I remember it being not great.
>>48216115
I know. It's just a warning, that's all.
If every character is statted up identically then a lot of players might get bored pretty fast.
>>
>>48216158
I dunno, even the 4 major Saiyan characters in the series were vastly different.

Goku was far more focused with physical prowess and tricks.

Gohan was far more focused on speed and close range Ki attacks.

Vegeta favored incredible Ki attacks and brute strength, lacked subtlety in his later years.

Trunks (future) was shown to be somewhat like his father but with a more tactical edge, also a swordsman.
>>
>>48216115
Well its not like high powered (to DBZ scales) and martial arts are done at the same in RPGs unless its GURPS
>>
Fate.
>>
>>48215399
BASED Regalia is making one that shows a lot of promise but develops with all the speed of continental drift. Google The Cream Games and there's a playable but incomplete alpha in its fifth or so iteration.
There's another put together by redditors that is I believe complete. It cribbed Regalia's visual design in the late stages, but that drama probably won't impact your fun at the table.

Other than that: Mutants and Masterminds lays out how to do it in Mecha and Manga, Legends of the Wulin is fun and easily hacked, and FATE can do it alright. Maybe someone will make an Apocalypse game for it sometime. Just don't play the licenced d20 game, it's terrible beyond description.
>>
>>48217983
>There's another put together by redditors that is I believe complete. It cribbed Regalia's visual design in the late stages, but that drama probably won't impact your fun at the table.

That's really typical of reddit
>>
>>48215399
Mutants and Masterminds
>>
Probably Fate Accelerated. Treat any "normals" as mooks or even just simple overcomes/obstacles, treat different power level tiers as a form of Scale (from Toolkit), use Atomic Robo mega stunts and 'unlimited' stunt purchase limit (give extra FP to enemies opposing you in each scene instead of reducing your own refresh), go with crazy big zones for combat and make blowing up mountains and shit simple Overcome actions for movement and etc., will feel very over the top DBZ. DBZ emotional/social combat can be handled with Fate's normal social stress systems, so you can have your two guys screaming at each other and decimating entire countries (but where the real battle is strength of wills and motives), can be handled nicely with challenges and contests too.

Also, Collateral Consequences to let major characters offload damage from themselves to the environment, in exchange for insane destruction and generally making things worse for everyone (particularly you, generally).
>>
>>48218599
Fuck I forgot to greentext.

>>48217983
>BASED Regalia is making one that shows a lot of promise but develops with all the speed of continental drift. Google The Cream Games and there's a playable but incomplete alpha in its fifth or so iteration.
>There's another put together by redditors that is I believe complete. It cribbed Regalia's visual design in the late stages, but that drama probably won't impact your fun at the table.

How do they compare?
>>
>>48216233
If anything, Dragon Ball's a case of many fighting styles & shit. Just look at Kid Buu ripping off his arm & hurling it. Regeneration, Zenkais, absorbing, etc.
>>
GURPS?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.