[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey fa/tg/uys, I'm in a bit of a pickle. A couple of my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
Hey fa/tg/uys, I'm in a bit of a pickle.
A couple of my friends and I are looking to start some sort of high-fantasy game and they want me to DM for 'em.

Problem is, none of them have ever played anything tabletop before, and I haven't played anything really apart from a few GURPS-based games like 6yrs ago in high school.

What are some fairly simple one-shot campaigns we could try?
I know Pathfinder has a couple which might do the trick, but they might be too complex for us, essentially being tabletop virgins.

Halp?
>>
I'd considered something based in the Elder Scrolls universe, since I'm pretty familiar with the lore and world, but I'm a special fella who couldn't find any one-shots set there.
>>
>but I'm a special fella who couldn't find any one-shots set there.
Adapt something.
>>
>>48211412
Depending on their age you could just choose a plotline from one of the earlier games and adapt it.

That said I wouldn't use a setting from a gaming series if it's their first time as they will just look at it from the video gaming point of view and you will spend all your time explaining why they can't just sneakily pick all the cases with elven swords in them while their owner watches.
>>
>>48211543
>spend all your time explaining why they can't just sneakily pick all the cases with elven swords in them while their owner watches.
But I put a bucket over their head, so they can't see me!

Mutants and Masterminds 3E has an SRD. Just run a low-powered hero game (PL 5 - 8 ish) and do a villain of the week kind of deal until you all get a hang of the system and can start doing your own shit with that generic system.
http://www.d20herosrd.com/
>>
>>48211358
Well, if you want to start out as easy as possible, use RISUS or WaRP. Very, very simple systems. There is also GURPS Lite if you want something familiar. No setting or story though, so that might be a problem.

Some of the Big Games (D&D, Pathfinder etc) have intro boxes with simplified rules and shorter adventures. I do personally not like these systems, but they are famous and probably does something right (I mean, the art in 5e is okay after all).

Please... what can you tell me about that pic, OP? Cool as fuck
>>
>>48211543
I'd considered that.
They're all early-mid 20's, and surprisingly none of 'em have played any of the games before, so it might be viable.
I could probably use GURPS for that, since I still have a vague memory of it.

Would there be an easier system we could use? GURPS was pretty straightforward from what I remember of it, though.
>>
>>48211609
Cool, I'll have a proper look into that after the footy.
Thanks for the help!

>>48211638
I could have a go at one of those, if I take the advice of >>48211543 and just steal a few story.

From what I know, it was a guy cosplaying as a draugr king or something. I'm not sure where though, sadly,
>>
>>48211689
Since you have no prior experience GMing, starting with a system you already know is probably a good idea. A different system might be easier for the others, but the players don't need in-depth knowledge of the system to begin with. The GM does.
>>
>>48211870
>>48211358
Also, do NOT start with Pathfinder. The system does have merits, but it's absolutely terrible system for introducing new people into the hobby.
>>
>>48211870
>>48211914
Alrighty then. Seems like our best bet is to just nab the plot from one of the ES games and use GURPS for the system.
Having never played with Pathfinder, I guess setting it to the side for now is probably best.

Thanks for the help.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.