[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VILLAIN NAMES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1453210966248.png (2 MB, 2093x677) Image search: [Google]
1453210966248.png
2 MB, 2093x677
What are some good sounding villain names that actually aren't that impressive if you know the definition?

Pic related: The fearsome IRON MONGER. Which basically means he sells iron.

>Monger
>Dealer or trader
>>
>>48209961
Basically I'm working on a sideline superhero game for when the GM isn't available to run a game (Players want to run weekly, but GM is a paramedic), so I'm working on something non-intensive and entertaining rather than a deep and connected campaign, and I thought it'd be funny to have a group of poser villains who do shit like call themselves things that sound threatening, but aren't and act like Challenge of the Superfriends-style throwbacks.
>>
>>48209961
>Ironmonger is a villain

I could see that. "Here's the deal, you give me all your stuff, and I'll give you some iron, applied to your face."
>>
>>48209961
The Professor

It's just a title but it look like a bad guy could use it as a name
>>
>>48209961
Iron == weapons
Weapon Seller == war profiteer == bad guy
>>
>>48210813
Doesn't Moriarty from Sherlock qualify?
>>
>>48210916
Yeah something like that, isn't there also a bad guy in Doctor Who whose name is The Master ?
>>
File: Hag.jpg (68 KB, 292x363) Image search: [Google]
Hag.jpg
68 KB, 292x363
>>48209961
>Granny Goodness
>>
>>48211014
I can't do an Ed Asner voice.
>>
>>48209961
Decimate, while these days used as a synonym for destroying or seriously damaging something, actually means reducing something by 1/10th. Which isn't all that impressive.
>>
>>48211257
Ooh. I like that one.
>>
>>48209961
If you want to get edgy you can try Holocaust, it's seen as the massacre of the jew but it was just a common sacrifice of cow fat in ancient greece
>>
>>48211257

"Of course it was the Romans! Who else would NEED a word that means 'kill every tenth person?'"
>>
>>48209961
>IRON MONGER

I think you're kinda missing the idea of that name. He's an arms dealer.
>>
>>48211683
It's still a pretty stupid name for a supervillain.
>>
>>48211257
I have a hunch that the transition is due to the circumstances under which a Roman military unit would be decimated. It was used sparingly for gross offences, such as mutiny or desertion. So if you think about a unit getting "decimated" in combat, it really means that they've lost all order (and therefore, been thoroughly defeated).
>>
>>48212923

Nope, it was a Roman term. When there was an uprising, a legion would be sent out and if the locals didn't hand over the culprits, they would bring everyone out and kill every tenth person. This discouraged most anyone from fighting back against the Romans.
>>
>>48213013

Err, should read "It was a Roman term, but.."
>>
>>48209961
Well, iron could be used similarly to lead in this case - meaning he murders people with conventional weapons.
>>
>>48213598
True, but just looking at it as "metal seller" kind of ruins the 'evil' of MONGER.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.