[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck is Magic starting to take design cues from a dying,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 88.jpg (142 KB, 600x825) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
142 KB, 600x825
Why the fuck is Magic starting to take design cues from a dying, inferior game for children?

Pic all too relate.
>>
File: 1062187.jpg (271 KB, 323x450) Image search: [Google]
1062187.jpg
271 KB, 323x450
>>48207554
But... dat full art silver dialga.
>>
Which design cues are those?
>>
>>48207814
Two part cards. The new 'meld'
>>
Because it's been around for over 20 years. When you release multiple new sets a year, each of which has to have at least one or two new mechanics, then yeah you're gonna look for inspiration and stuff you haven't tried wherever you can find it.
>>
>>48207554
There are three ways this can go for magic:

>It's a flop, gets bumped to the bottom of the storm list and we never hear of it again
>It's awesome, but wizards is lazy, and it comes back in a few years
>it's super awesome and wizards milks it for all it's got

Really, the first two are far more likely. These meld cards seem harder to design, and one will inevitably be exceptionally broken then instantly banned.
>>
>>48207554
My first thought was "so where is the polymerization?" but that one works too.
>>
File: B.F.M..png (589 KB, 624x445) Image search: [Google]
B.F.M..png
589 KB, 624x445
>>48207984
Oh, you mean like the card WotC printed in 1998?
>>
As has already been pointed out, Meld is just an actual way of doing BFM's effect.
More than that, the way that Meld actually works seems to be quite a bit different from how this effect works (or the similar one from Dual Monsters, which Magic actually has taken ideas from in the form of Transform cards), and seems to be much more viable than "you can only play this if you have both cards in hand".

I don't see why Magic shouldn't take inspiration from the Pokemon CCG, or Dual Monster--Hell, Emerge is apparently similar to YuGiOh, and I hope it works out and they bring it back, because it's an interesting mechanic--or really anything else. . They all took ideas from Magic to begin with. Dismissing a source of inspiration because you don't like the source is ridiculous.
>>
>>48207989
>>48208048
>>48208826
Meld isn't actually a mechanic as such. The mechanic is turning two creatures into one, which can be done in many other ways. Level up, search the library for a new card, make a token, just note in the card's text that it becomes bigger, or using a regular DFC (or flip card) with the spare card graveyarded or exiled.

All that's new for meld is the physical aspect of being a card-that's-two-cards like BFM. That's a gimmick like full art lands or Nyx card frames, not a mechanic. It's meant to be a fun thing, not a game thing.
>>
>>48207554
>He thinks that magic is made for adults
>>
>>48209635
>he thinks its not
>>
>>48209234
"Meld" is actually an action, like "transform". You're given the prompt to "meld" cards in the rules text.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 223x310
>>48208156
>inb4 yeah but that was a joke card
>>
>>48207554
>Dying
Ha.
>Inferior
HA.
>>
>>48207554
MTG has been stealing gimmicks from Pokemon since the literal first Pokemon set. E.G. MTG never had foils until Pokemon did it.
>>
>>48207554
Did Pokemon do it before Duel Masters?
>>
>>48211884
duel masters power creeped so fucking hard, its insane how none of the old cards are good in any way
>>
>>48209234
It's still a mechanic, anon. None of the things you listed are exactly the same as Melding.

>>48211063
I don't know about dying, and he put it asininely, but Pokemon *is* less successful than Magic in any sense of the word.

>>48210133
You'd have to point out that Barren Glory is The Cheese Stands Alone.

In fact, I'd like to see a list of things from Un-sets that were either references (Enter the Dungeon is clearly Scheherazade) or ended up getting made into real cards. Same with the Time Spiral stuff.
>>
>>48211960
And that's why the Standard format exists in Magic. Drastically cuts down power creep.
>>
File: YYH King Cards.jpg (405 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
YYH King Cards.jpg
405 KB, 1200x1600
>>48211884
>>48207554
Neither of them did it before Yu Yu Hakusho
>>
>>48212238
http://imgur.com/a/SX8KS
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.