[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Symbaroum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1465340328389.jpg (80 KB, 620x800) Image search: [Google]
1465340328389.jpg
80 KB, 620x800
Symbaroum thread

>English PDF share (+a few minor ones in Swedish)
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/uSuMNELr/file.html

>link/info pastebin
http://pastebin.com/jDsaER8Z

>Community material
The Iron Pact - http://theironpact.com/
Ordo Magica - http://www.ordomagica.com/

>stores to get additional PDFs not included in the share, and support the creators
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8878/Jarnringen
http://butik.jarnringen.com/en/shop.php?id=41105

Post your characters
>>
>>48206710
I like this game. Not sure how good the mechanics are without actually playing it.
>>
>>48207128
If you try to break the game, you can. If you are a sensible person, the mechanics work fine
>>
>>48206710
This is now Random Encounters Edition.

>The PCs wake up only to find that an ogre as wandered into their campsite. It sits on a rotting log near the campfire and occasionally stares at the PCs with a blank expression on its face. If the PCs leave, it follows. Clearly this is a newly "awakened" troll that seems to have imprinted on the PCs

>While skirting the edge of Dovakar, a pair of mules burst out of the treeline and almost trample the PCs. One of the mules carries many bags and containers filled with who knows what. The other mule carries a dead rider with numerous arrows in his back.

>Outside of Thistle Hold, a human and goblin child, flanked by a large ogre are recruiting for an expedition into Dovakar. After hours of failed recruitment, they scoff and head in the direction of Dovakar, donning pieces of oversized armor and rusty swords.
>>
Is it me or does Natural Warrior seem better than any weapon? At adept it does 2d6 and at master it does 4d6.
>>
>>48208362
Its two different attacks, so both will be reduced by armor
>>
>>48209126
Forgot about that. That makes a lot more sense.
>>
>be self-taught mystic
>slight breeze
>corruption threshold reached
>>
>>48210263

Essentially. You generally want to be restricted to traditions rather than going the pick-and-choose route when it comes to magic.
>>
File: Capture.png (62 KB, 360x170) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
62 KB, 360x170
>>48213190
Sorcery has some weird wording compared to other traditions, it seems like it can protect you against any corruption, even permanent, even if it's not due to casting.
>>
>>48214793

True, but note that it's just reduction and management, not really taking you back up out of the pit corruption digs you into.

Seems like the only thing that can get rid of corruption is that magic item for priests of Pious in the core rulebook, and you have to be careful because if you're already corrupted enough, it can kill you outright.
>>
>>48214907
Wizardry has ritual to remove corruption too. You just need break in, steal relevant books and learn it yourself. Easy peasy.
>>
>>48214793
That might make sense since you have to roll while the other traditions just get it atomically for casting spells. Seems like a decent trade-off.

Is there anything rule-wise or lore-wise that discourages someone from practicing multiple traditions?
>>
>>48206710
Name: Verama
Race: Human (Barbarian) Of tribe Godinja
Traits: Contacts (Witches)

Abilities
Loremaster (novice)
Witchcraft (novice)
Larvae boil (novice)
Bend Will (novice)
Ritualist (Fortune Telling)

Weapons: Dagger 1D6 (Short), Spear 1D8 (Long)
Armor: Witch Gown 1D4 (flexible)
Defense: 11
Toughness 10
Pain Threshold 5
Corruption threshold 8

Equipment Camp equipment 2 Thaler and 7 Shillings
Mask
Brown robe with hood
Silver ring on finger
small leather pouch, containing a piece of decaying maggoty fruit
leather pouch containing assorted knuckle bones
Shadow: Lunar Silver

Accurate 10
Cunning 13
Discrete 5
Persuasive 7
Quick 11
Resolute 15
Strong 9
Vigilant 10

Backstory:
Verama came from a family of farmers in Godinja tribe. Grew up near their largest village.
From the moment she was born her Moon colored shadow marked her as having an affinity for witchcraft.
Her family hoped that being a witch would elevate their status in the tribe. When it came time to select a mentor
her family hoped that she would be mentored by the Keeper, or an adviser to the chief. Instead the older witches decided she would be better suited to protect the tribe from the horrors of the ancient Symbaroum ruins. When she was 10 years old, she was taken in under the tutelage of Haloban who taught her about the histories of the land and the secrets of witchcraft.

Basically my character is a witch who has studies the ruins and history of the forest. And uses magic to learn more about them and to keep people from letting out something truly horrific
>>
>>48214996
im pretty sure that the wizardy ritual is a temporary measure you put the corruption in some crystal and when that overloads it all comes back to you
>>
>>48215628
My current plan is to go for borrow beast, so i can use rats to scout out the ruins a head of time. I'm planning on carrying around a cat cage with a bunch of rats in it so i'm always ready to go.
>>
>>48214996
>You just need break in, steal relevant books and learn it yourself.
So, I can learn a ritual without paying xp/advancing in ritualist ability as long as I have a ritual book/mentor? Does that mean I can learn more than six rituals?
>>
>>48216052
When it overloads, or breaks. So, just hide it really really well and never do it again.
So, basically, you just reduce your permanent corruption once, and hope for the best.

>>48217804
Nope. You can only learn rituals with the Ritualist ability if someone is willing to teach you, or you otherwise find a way to learn it. So, if you "stole the book", that just gives you a narrative reason to take the ritual normally.
But, if you don't have the Wizadry tradition, you don't get a free soul stone, and you have to pay for it, so it might be better to take the Purging Flame ritual instead.
>>
>>48217804
No. It means you need someone or something to teach you, especially if ritual/power is not part of your tradition.
>>
>>48217861
Oh, I was under the impression that you could only have one at a time. This seems much more useful. I think i'll have my witch try and learn the ritual.
>>
>>48206710
Just checked out the game, it looks pretty interesting so far. Characters seem quite average attribute-wise, and it's crazy hard to raise any attributes using experience; +1 for 10 XP, +2 for 30 XP, and +3 for a total of 60 XP. Given that you get one XP for overcoming a 'challenge', this seems like the game encourages extremely slow character progression.

There are a couple mechanics I find somewhat frustrating; healing is very slow and basically requires magic or expensive resources, and I'm honestly not totally certain how the whole damage, toughness, armour, and pain resistance system works. I'm not really a big fan of players having to roll to hit, to damage, AND rolling an armour die to mitigate damage suffered. Seems a bit excessive to me, and slow as well.

This game seems quite hard-coded towards being very low fantasy, with magic very limited and combat quick and brutal. Does this game support more epic, mid to high fantasy play where characters become powerful heroes and legends capable of fighting massive enemies or legions of soldier? Could I make Guts from Berserk in this system without him requiring 300+ XP?
>>
>>48217861
>never do it again.
It can hold corruption up to Resolute/2. With 1d4 roll, you can do it at least twice without any risk, assuming you maxed out your Resolute.
Then proceed to hiding, yeah.
>>
>>48218181
>Does this game support more epic, mid to high fantasy play where characters become powerful heroes and legends capable of fighting massive enemies or legions of soldier?
No. If that's what you want, play something else.

>>48217957
I think you can only have one at a time, which means one at all. Taking the Familiar ritual and the Blood Bond(?) ritual is more effective, since you can just pump all your corruption into it, kill it before it becomes an abomination, and then get a new familiar.
>>
>>48218181
Combat isn't that slow. All rolling is on the part of the player.
The player rolls to hit a monster, but when the monster attacks, the player rolls to dodge.
>>
>>48218218
Im pretty sure this flys in the face of what it means to have a familiar. Your character has a strong emotional bond with this creature. While it works from a mechanical perspective you would have to be a cold hearted monster to do it. It would be like using your childhood dog.
>>
>>48218513
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but a Sorcerer trying to minimize corruption wouldn't care. Mechanically, and narratively, it's sound, but more likely so for an antagonist than a player.
>>
Anybody taken a look at master level loremaster mixed with novice sorcery? The ability to cast directly from scrolls, without taking permanent corruption, combined with the novice sorcery which saves you from the 1d4 temp corruption per cast sounds really poweful.
>>
>>48218785
Kinda reminds me of the traditional wizard
Except instead of a spell book you have a collection of scrolls
Would be really powerful though
>>48218624
Fair, then i guess the only hope I have for long term corruption removal is the Prios Campfire
>>
>>48219200
I'm diggin the idea. It would be a kickass end goal for a cunning character, especially combined with the likes of tactician.
>>
Does nature's embrace work on rock? I'm guessing not but it isn't 100% clear
>>
>>48219363
im pretty sure im in a roll20 group and a discord chat with you. I'm Hogwella
>>
>>48219499
>>48219363
I know both you people. Small thread.
>>
>>48219631
lmao, we go to 4chan to talk about the game with different people, and we just wind up talking to the same people and not knowing it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.