[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1435457243365.png (745 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1435457243365.png
745 KB, 800x1000
Up to what point a character can be wacky without being "lolsorandumb"?
>>
>>48205956
Depends on the game you are playing.
If it's a Beer and Pretzels D&D game that's 90% Dungeon Diving and Combat whacky is far more admissible then in a serious, role-playing and intrigue intensive Vampire game.

In general, i would say that whacky is not "lol random" as long as it's internally consistent, does not inhibit the flow of the game and doesn't annoy the other players and the GM.
>>
>>48205956
A lolsorandumb character just does things without any real rhyme or reason to it. A wacky or crazy character has consistent internal logic, no matter how warped that logic may be from a normal perspective.
>>
>>48206163
To add to this, as long as being wacky doesn't disrupt or derail the game pointlessly, then there shouldn't be any problem. If you're the rogue that just randomly picks the pockets of people so you can throw the coins at the moon in an attempt to appease a never before mentioned goddess, you're probably doing it wrong.
>>
If the game is sandbox you can be more wacky without being a burden since you are shaping the game. As long as nobody at the table treats the game like utter serious business, it's not the wackyness that's the problem, it's when your character is a burden. Just like you could be if you tried to be a kleptomaniac or a very righteous paladin.
Of course, if you go too much wacky, you're tacky but that's just you being awkward not really killing the game so it should be resolved IC.
>>
File: 1401150267653.gif (1 MB, 640x325) Image search: [Google]
1401150267653.gif
1 MB, 640x325
>>48205956
I am of the belief that humor results from the human mind trying to process something it knows doesn't make sense. Laughter is pretty much our "DOES NOT COMPUTE" response. This is why some people laugh at funerals, IMO.

Therefore, a wacky character needs to maintain a balance: he needs to create a precedent for logical behavior, and then break it. If you become LOLSORANDUM, after a few minutes it stops being funny because being illogical becomes the new logical. It is no longer a break that causes a reaction of shock and misunderstanding, it has become the expectation.

Alternatively you keep that character LOLSORANDUMB, but introduce a white heterosexual cis straight man to balance him out.
>>
>>48205956
You can be as wacky as you want so long as it's not random wackiness.
If your character enjoys cross dressing and telling bad puns then they are wacky.
If your character does arbitrary wacky things at any time then your lolsorandumb.
>>
>>48205956
I don't think there's anything wrong with a character having an odd sense of humor or a warped perspective on the world, but they should at least have enough sense not to get themselves killed. There's a time and a place for everything.
>>
Start with an actual, fully fleshed out character with a functional build. You don't have to go spectacular, but your stats shouldn't be anything that's going to get you kicked out of bed for eating crackers, either. Focus on your diamond: know where you came from (back), know your strengths (top), know your weaknesses (bottom), and know your goal (forward).

Now, give them a goofy sense of humor. If they start telling jokes, making puns, or doing silly stuff because they get bored or nervous, let that play out. But be ready to serious the fuck up when some part of the diamond is involved. It's okay to be Porthos. Just remember Porthos knocked some motherfuckers on their asses when he had to.
>>
>>48205956
How attractive are you?
>>
I think the best way to be wacky without being lulsorandumb is to be meta as all hell. Personally, I find it hilarious to watch lotr and see legolas struggle to comprehend basic things as an ancient ageless elf. Now, make him a pompous jackass who is always the butt of jokes, and there you go. You have a wacky, intriguing character that's only mildly annoying, and is a net positive to your narrative.
>>
I think a character becomes too wacky when you can't interact with them as a person.

Say your character is Flamehands McArsonburn and you love being silly and setting things on fire. Can I still hold a conversation with them? Can I get an opinion on something that isn't fire or doesn't involve fire? Do they have actual feelings? If I can't get any of those things then you're not playing a character so much as a terrible joke puppeteering a body.
>>
>>48208857
>Hey Flamehands McArsonburn, how are you feeling?
>"Well, anon, I must say, I'm feeling a bit burnt out."
>Ha ha, very funny. What do you think about the weather?
>"It sure is a scorcher outside. It's like walking from the frying pan into the fire."
>Ya we get it, you're making fire related puns. What do you think of that BBEG? He sure is a prick.
>"I'd say. He sure is hot-headed."
>Alright, enough with the puns. We're going to stop talking to you if you don't cut it out.
>"That's okay anon, the candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long."
>>
File: That.jpg (883 KB, 1224x814) Image search: [Google]
That.jpg
883 KB, 1224x814
This is the point I cut it off as a DM
>>
>>48206691
Inappropriate giggling, such as that at funerals or when in trouble (WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE!) is one of our bodies' ways of dealing with stress.
>>
>>48205956

Characters should be less 'random' and more 'unusual'. The stranger and stranger a character's internal logic gets, the more the player should work to keep it consistent. Yeah, it's certainly strange or unpredictable to your everyday observer, but to the character this is their normal.

In other words, play the weird shit straight instead of "laughing at your own joke", so to speak, and you're on the right track.
>>
>>48205956
Uses weird methods to get job done.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.