[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's most boring BBEG you can think of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20
File: d1d6b4.jpg (337 KB, 1114x1400) Image search: [Google]
d1d6b4.jpg
337 KB, 1114x1400
What's most boring BBEG you can think of?
>>
>>48198573
The devil. His plan is to destroy everything because he thinks it's fun.

He can be destroyed forever by the power of true friendship.
>>
>>48198573
What's the most boring BBEG you can think of?
>>
File: image.png (646 KB, 1170x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
646 KB, 1170x1600
>>48198673
Nyarlathotep is the better verison of the Devil.
>>
File: 1304044716.png (204 KB, 342x334) Image search: [Google]
1304044716.png
204 KB, 342x334
>>48198701
DAMN
>>
>>48198573
One with relateable and possibly even acceptable goals. That's some low- to mid-tier villain shit. BBEGs are Big, Bad, and Evil. They want to do bullshit like eat the world or unleash a thousand years of darkness because they were born to do so.
>>
A wizard wants to take over the world. He has no clever plans or interesting schemes. His personality mostly consists of megalomania (the kind that doesn't even involve grandiose speeches) and his chosen method is an army of faceless mooks, usually led by lieutenants way more intresting and colorful than himself. Will not engage in any real banter or provide any good reasons for doing this, other than being evil.

Possibly this. Except for
>Same, but you never even see them before it's time to roll initiative for the final time
>There's lore checks you can make to learn history about them though. Because that's totally characterization, right?

Fuck you Rise of the Runelords
Fuck most of the other adventure paths as well.
>>
>>48198763
Just want OP to participate in his own thread. Robespierre is probably related, but what the fuck, an image isn't an explanation.
>>
>>48198573
Cthulhu or equivalent lolinsanity entity.
>>
>>48198739
Derleth pls go

Le spooky interdimensional satan XDXDXD
>>
>>48198880
Then what is he besides a cosmic troll?
>>
>>48199286
>replying to some of the most obvious bait I've seen in my life
>>
>>48199345
Eh, I was more hoping it would lead to me having intelligent discussion about my favorite eldritch horror. I suppose it was dumb of me.
>>
>>48198769
Meh
>>
>>48199286
Like every other alien creature Lovecraft created - imaginative, freaky literary tools to get across a central concept of human ignorance and limitation in a vast universe we've barely scrapped the first snowflake on the tip of the iceberg in relation to not only our own planet's history, but the truth and breadth of the universe itself.

This whole evil mastermind shit about Nyarlathotep just bothers the hell out of me, it's the same about pop-culture shit like Cthulhu being some kind of evil space demon who'll destroy the world and eat yer soul! I wish people would at least skim the source material.

>>48199345
>I don't agree therefore it's bait

Good job.
>>
>>48199420
Nyarlathotep is like the only eldritch horro who gives a fuck about humanity but I suggest we take this to a more appropriate setting.

>>48181700
>>
Aizen from Bleach.
Totally two-dimensional character with a retarded way of acting and thinking.
Only hearing his name makes me roll my eyes.
>>
>>48199493
He's the least boring Bleach villain though, which is not my way of saying that he isn't boring.
>>
>>48199490
>Nyarlathotep is like the only eldritch horro who gives a fuck about humanity

I've never once got the impression. I think people mistake giving a fuck for ease of access. That's all. And that's what makes it so dangerous and such a great part of the horror, it's a horrible thing, that could be anywhere, in any shape. You can't ever ascribe human emotion or understanding to these elder horrors, that's just against the spirit of the stories.

If you want to take the discussion there, we can.
>>
The villain is a vampire who covers the land in red mist so they can go for a walk.
>>
>>48198573

serial killers
>>
File: 644.png (211 KB, 314x438) Image search: [Google]
644.png
211 KB, 314x438
>>48198573
Let's see what villains I've had to put up with in a single campaign:

Eldritch horror that vomits out Final Fantasy final boss one liners.

Mustache-twirling Rakshasa who's dialogue

1000 year old vampire who's pretty much the same as above except with the charm of a Rob Liefield comic book.

Demonlord bitch that's pretty much, again, the same fucking character as the second and third villain.

The worst thing is that we still have the second, third, and fourth villains alive after KILLING THE ELDEST ABOLETH (the first).
>>
>>48200620
fuck, forgot to finish one of my sentences.

Mustache-twirling Rakshasa who's dialogue can all be described with the word "conniving" and wants to take over the world.
>>
Any villain who's only existence is only for the purpose of having a villain. The villain needs to be as much of a living, breathing part of the world as anything else.

Also shut the goddamn fuck up about tragic villains. Yes, we all know that great idea you had for a really cool villain that we can all identify with and that will make us question our every action. Yeah we know you read that book or saw that movie that did the whole tragic hero thing really well, we did too, and it moved us and made us question our judgements of others too. The difference was in the movie we didn't have to decide to kill the villain at the climax, in the game we have to, and making them a tragic hero just makes you dick for forcing us to kill someone we now identify with.

I've done this before and it never goes as well as you think.
>>
>>48198573
A bureaucrat.

Turns out all the problems in the world are caused by this guy submitting a few false reports no one bothers to verify before rushing off to make huge mistakes.
>>
>>48201080
That would be actually a pretty good twist for the end of a campaign. The players discover the villain was only following orders from a greater entity, which they succesfully track down to some fat middle-aged man with a cheap suit sitting on his desk while they are tearing the building apart for him, and it turns out the whole thing was a long series of misunderstandings and coincidences ultimately triggered by a filing mistake
>>
The one who recognizes you are the chosen one and takes you out himself before you become a threat. Your story ends, he goes on to complete his tasks.

Alternatively, a Lich who has all sorts of master plans. But instead of acting and sending his undead armies out, he just waits everyone out until they all die. After all, he has all the time in the world and things are easier when no one is around to stop you..
>>
I would've said Kaguya from Naruto, but the filler actually made her somewhat interesting if not a pang sympathetic. Also I would bury my face in those rabbitits, but that's beside the point.
>>
>>48199493
>>48199548
While Aizen is a boring character, he's far better than Yhwach, even when they both pull effortless victories out of their ass.
>>
>>48201012
Maybe you don't have to kill them. Maybe the final confrontation can be a RP challenge where you can try to talk them down without needing to kill them.
>>
>>48198573
Dave the accountant. He made an automatic investment tool years ago that is very open about how much money it takes from you with the knowledge that no one would actually understand the math enough to see this. He has billions of dollars by now, is personally responsible for the economic downturn of multiple first world nations, and has caused the ruination of literally thousands of middle class families.
>>
>>48202184
>"accountant"
>developed advanced software
>sells investment services
>runs his own operation

I think that makes Dave an investment services entrepreneur, not an accountant. He's probably a tech or financial services CEO, depending on how he markets his company. Unless "the accountant" is some kind of weird epithet because he does his own accounting or something.
>>
File: 1370763459901.jpg (51 KB, 169x408) Image search: [Google]
1370763459901.jpg
51 KB, 169x408
>>48200620

>Eldritch horror that vomits out Final Fantasy final boss one liners
>>
>>48198701

HOLY SHIT WRECKKKED
>>
>>48199493

I dunno, I kinda liked a few of his moments- most particularly when he was trolling Ichigo about being so surprised that he lied to him.

It just seems like such an obvious thing for a villain to do, lie, but it's so rarely done in shounen it was actually a bit of a curveball.
>>
>>48198763
>>48203110
I don't get it
>>
>>48203720
It's a new summer meme, you're not supposed to get it
>>
>>48198573
>not having a villian so boring, so bland, so downright taxing on your sanity, that heroes cannot find the strength to kill him, rather fall into a deep coma.
>>
>>48198763
>>48203110
>>>/s4s/
>>
Puppy-kicker who's evil just because lol evil. Come on!
>I do evil because I want my revenge! They killed my parents, children, dog and tamagochi!
>I do evil because I want to be #1! I grew up as a spoilt entitled fag, but I have skills needed because my noble parents taught me everything they could
>I do evil for the greater good, you can't see it because you are blind! Wait, you have proofs that everything I believed in is lies?
>I do evil because I have %goal% and I don't give a shit about collateral damage
>I do evil because I am a demon, literally made of evil
>>
>>48198573
Somebody whose execution falls spectacularly flat. It could be anything at all. It could be the old Demon Lord resurrection, it could be a cosmic horror supposedly beyond our understanding, it could even be your PC's own mother, but if the execution sucks then no matter how intriguing or novel it is it's boring and thus a failure.
>>
>>48206558
Yeah, this answer is better than mine.
>>
>>48198573

Sword and board fighter with the CR 30 stats from the 5e DMG's "Monster Statsitics by Challenged Rating" chart who's immune to literally everything in the game except physical damage and has a lair who's sole feature is that it limits all players to a single attack per round (not turn.)
>>
File: Cyril_Figgis.png (117 KB, 244x653) Image search: [Google]
Cyril_Figgis.png
117 KB, 244x653
A pudgy, middle aged overweight accountant who got out of being a lawyer and now has scammed his way to ruling a small 3rd world south american nation by cooking the books to frame all of his rivals. In the end tricking his bosses mistress into believing there's a secret bank account her husband has kept from her. He never actually kills anyone, has no aptitude for personal violence, though due to a life time of 40k and Wargames he is a halfway decent Army Commander. Only notable accomplishments are that he is hung like a fucking horse and weeps like a child often.

Pic is 110% related.
>>
One who sits at the bottom or top of a dungeon waiting for the heroes to reach him, or one who automatically retreats to a dungeon to wait in the final chamber when his plans begin to reach fruition or begin to fail.
>>
File: halo4ads.jpg (28 KB, 631x335) Image search: [Google]
halo4ads.jpg
28 KB, 631x335
>>48198573
AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS
>>
>>48198673
A different version of the devil is one who does it because it is who he is, it is his role in the cosmos, and genuinely regrets everything, but does it because he must.
>>
File: 1455012101189.jpg (19 KB, 470x394) Image search: [Google]
1455012101189.jpg
19 KB, 470x394
no charisma, no megalomaniac villainous schemes. Just an intimate knowledge of the country's politics and bureaucracy and a mindless lust for power. Nothing spectacularly bad will happen when she inevitably gets it, things will just continue getting worse.
>>
>>48213032
She's hot tho
>>
A big monster that wants to eat the world.

It never talks to anyone, it doesn't have any servants, almost no one besides the PCs know it's there until it tries to eat the world, it has no motivation besides being hungry, you can't negotiate with it at all, and the only way to stop it is to fight it until it dies.

The campaign consists of doing unrelated, much more interesting adventures until the PCs are strong enough for the final battle.
>>
File: tumblr_o8fr887fE61svzlzeo1_1280.jpg (61 KB, 830x1049) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8fr887fE61svzlzeo1_1280.jpg
61 KB, 830x1049
>>48215471

for real tho
>>
Any BBEG that ends up "wait I did it because reasons!" and "I'm a trope reversal!"
The first because I like a morally grey villain but it should be clearly grey all along rather than some lengthy asspull explanation right before you beat him, and the second because while it can be good it's 99% "Look how creative and quirky I am for seeing past tropes, I'm just like Terry Pratchett!"
>>
>Ctrl+F "IRS"
>Nothing
>Ctrl+F "Audit"
>Nothing
What's wrong with you?
>>
File: brazil2.jpg (33 KB, 500x274) Image search: [Google]
brazil2.jpg
33 KB, 500x274
>>48201080
>>48201171

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZshIb5IJQU
>>
>>48216499
>I like a morally grey villain
They're either moral or not.
1. They do bad things towards a good goal
2. They do bad things to advance their person

Anything else and they're muddy incomprehensible tryhard bullshit.
>>
File: lightning rail.jpg (39 KB, 400x256) Image search: [Google]
lightning rail.jpg
39 KB, 400x256
>>48200620
>>48200642
A Rakshasa with an actual moustahce and top hat would be awesome. Especially if it kidnaps innocents and ties them to the conductor stones of lightning rails.
>>
>>48198773
Is it that bad?
>>
>>48220193
What about they do neutral things to advance their person or cause, which is bad for the party's cause or persons. Not everything is good or evil.
>>
File: soap-box.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
soap-box.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>48198573
The one that's just a soapbox for the DM to rant about stuff he already rants about
>>
>>48212850
I would play a vanilla kill the Devil campaing, which is at least honest.
That shit you're pulling is completely bullshit and wouldn't make it a better character in any way. The Devil is supposed to be the imortal avatar of everything that is wrong, not some regretting cucked faggot.
>>
>>48198573
A Tax auditor who wants to go over the receipts you submitted back in 2011.
>>
The bureaucracy
>>
Time
>>
>>48216423
WAS and IS are two different words
>>
>>48215471
i wouldn't fuck her with a stolen dick
>>
>>48224170
>>48224127
>implying they aren't the most difficult villains to actually defeat.

fuckers took down Capone
>>
>>48224434
Capone was small-time tho
>>
>>48226640
>Al Capone
>made around a hundred million a year in the Great Fucking Depression
>small time
>>
File: your mother.jpg (33 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
your mother.jpg
33 KB, 900x675
>>48198573
>>
Probably Kylo Ren, he's pretty boring, especially since Star Wars has cooler villains that have cooler gimmicks than "I have a cross-guard on my saber.
>>
>>48198573
God Emperors. Infinite edge and never enough satisfaction in finally wiping that smug look off their face, largely because they are always a GM insert and cannot be defeated.
>>
>>48213032
That's depressingly accurate
>>
>>48198573
The dragon kidnapped the princess because that's in it's nature. Wait no that's marginally interesting. Dragons are biblical analogues to satan-> satan subverts the natural order of things-> monarchies have literal divine right-> dragons kidnap princess to subvert the natural order
>>
>>48229222
>kylo ren
>BBEG

I think you might have fallen asleep partway through the movie anon

The real BBEG of the new trilogy is __Rey__.
>>
>>48198573
A coin-counter who wants to crash the economy.
>>
File: blackmanta_zps9db1d208.gif (45 KB, 214x345) Image search: [Google]
blackmanta_zps9db1d208.gif
45 KB, 214x345
What do you think about a Black Manta style villain.
His motivation for evil is that he hates you. You personally. There was time when he had a reason for hating you but it's long since been forgotten.
Now he just wants to fuck your shit up.
That's his life now, making your life hell because he has nothing else to do with himself besides hate.
>>
File: black manta.jpg (38 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
black manta.jpg
38 KB, 320x320
>>48233232
Black Manta is so relatable and great in his obsession, though.
dat tragic backstory.
>>
File: 1457291465413.png (269 KB, 500x578) Image search: [Google]
1457291465413.png
269 KB, 500x578
>>48230972
My friends and I have all agreed that while we didn't care for her much as an MC, we would love it if she goes villain.
>>
>>48230972
The bodycount is just starting
>>
>>48236359
She's a different character in every fucking scene.
>>
>>48198573
A counterfitting rogue who is an agent for a neighboring kingdom.
Actually thats a good intrigue idea. My main group finds intrigue boring though. No idea why.
>>
>>48198573
A warlord or byzantine government that commits an atrocity or causes a war as a byproduct of some rather boring yet pragmatic policy/infrastructure project. I.e. the warlord who came to power in a bloody civil war erects a dam over a river prone to flooding during the rainy season. As a result the locals are pushed back and the non-humans are treated as an afterthought. Displaced ppl fight with other displaced people and small wars break out while the government comes in to break it up and break the leadership of the wars. Overall its hellish for the people who were displaced by the dam, but for the majority of the land the benefits of the dam alone are huge.

Basically any event where the BBEG is doing something that is objectively good for his people but as a byproduct causes some trouble for others in an indirect way
>>
>>48199420
What about the time that Nyalarthotep was literally depicted as the devil? In Lovecraft's own work.
>>
>>48236495
Perrito ;_;
>>
File: 146207d2849267.png (208 KB, 600x394) Image search: [Google]
146207d2849267.png
208 KB, 600x394
>>48198573

Trump.
>>
File: 1466535923901.png (688 KB, 896x638) Image search: [Google]
1466535923901.png
688 KB, 896x638
>>48236359
Rey suffers from the same problem as Daenerys Targaryen and Roman Reigns in that they would work so much better as villains but the man in charge of the story is so in love with them, to the point of waifuism, that he refuses to listen to reason and instead further turns them into Mary Sues
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.