[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/s thoughts on the GiantitP Forums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: Chaotic Evil.gif (3 MB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
Chaotic Evil.gif
3 MB, 270x180
/tg/s thoughts on the GiantitP Forums?
>>
My thoughts are that it's not for me, but I'm an adult, so I don't froth at the mouth about other sites.
>>
One thing I do find odd about it is that it often only seems to take one minority opinion to hi-jack an entire thread. Not anything offensive or aggressive since the mods will ban that sort of thing but just an opinion about rpgs which the majority of people on the board disagree with. When it happens a lot of the time it seems to result in the entire thread becoming about everyone criticizing that one poster and them arguing back with no further discussion on the original topic.
>>
>>48195430
So just like /tg/ then
>>
Mostly just average D&D/pf fags. I used to like it but came to like it less as I grew away from 3.pf and their player base. I saw a lot of neat ideas on the homebrew forums (mostly that gramarie/magitech thing and Xefas' stuff) that were doomed from the start by people trying to force the system to do shit it really wasn't designed to do
>>
at least it´s not run and populated by SJW like ENworld is
>>
>>48195884
>Muh boogeyman
Anon, I don't know what EN is, but if you're like most of the people I've seen, you probably got banned for calling people tranny or nigger because you don't know how to not act like you're on 4chan.
>>
>>48195945

so you don´t know me or know what you are talking about either but you are still going to butt your ignorant opinion in?, did I trigger you?
>>
>>48196209
I know you're the type of person to say an RPG website is run and populated by SJWs.
>>
>>48196242

well, I know you are the kind of faggot who talks about shit he doesn´t knows about like he does
>>
>>48195511
Well... yes.
>>
>>48196256
Yeah, but at least I'm not afraid of the SJW boogeyman.
>>
>>48194625
It's the only D&D site that isn't total garbage. It has fairly reasonable individuals being the norm, and the people there seem to (typically) actually have a decent grasp on the system they're discussing.

>>48196745
Whether he's afraid or not, the other anon is right, the people on ENWorld are very thin skinned, and lock down threads that are completely reasonable.

The Paizo boards are equally thin-skinned, the developers get angry about any constructive criticisms or evidence of any imbalance or difficulties, and their "Open Playtests" are a fucking joke, as they ignore all of the concerns, and don't take the playtest findings seriously.

The people on RPG.net are even more thin-skinned, and any criticisms of a game or a post are met by flaming and thread lockdowns and temporary bans.

The WoD forums are filled with a bunch of douchebags who will throw a tantrum if you do anything other than grovel at the devs feet, such as if you point out something being poorly balanced in a playtest, or if you talk about homebrewing WoD to do anything differently. The admins seem somewhat reasonable, but the community is fucking toxic.

And then there's Trollman's forums which are basically dead and hyper focused on minmaxery

The WotC forums which are like a poorly organized version of the paizo forums.
>>
>>48194625
I like going there when I want a more serious and pedantic discussion about rules. I see more creative stuff here on /tg/ though.

It's harder to post exasperated reaction images there, so it takes more work to call people out on their bullshit. Especially when they're arguing absurd RAW interpretations and are willing to throw down pages of text defending it, even when it means browbeating people into accepting the stupidest rulings. With some posters, I just get tired and don't want to deal with someone waving around his e-penis at the expense of other peoples' discussions.

>>48196952
>It's the only D&D site that isn't total garbage. It has fairly reasonable individuals being the norm, and the people there seem to (typically) actually have a decent grasp on the system they're discussing.
This too. There's a culture there that rewards encyclopedic rules-knowledge, although often at the expense of things like willingness to use houserules where a system fails to do its job.
>>
>>48197013
>often at the expense of things like willingness to use houserules where a system fails to do its job.
In my experience they're quite open to houserules and homebrew, provided that you make it clear you're discussing houserules or homebrew, and provided you don't bring up houserules as though they belong in a discussion regarding the RAW on some particular subject.
>>
File: 1419553618215.png (42 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1419553618215.png
42 KB, 480x360
>>48194625
>no profanity
>no animated avatars
>openly accepting of furries and bronies
Fuck 'em.
>>
>>48197323
I read that in babyface's voice. God damn it.
>>
File: annieshrug.png (37 KB, 243x247) Image search: [Google]
annieshrug.png
37 KB, 243x247
They've got some useful build guides, but I don't actually browse it. I've been on 4chan so long that I can't fucking stand using normal forums anymore.
>>
>>48197323
If you want information about some edition of D&D though, there's no better place.
>>
File: 1291868244744.png (30 KB, 215x608) Image search: [Google]
1291868244744.png
30 KB, 215x608
>>48197452
Holy shit this.
>can't find advice or information about something on 4chan
>decide to look on other forums
>ONLY REGISTERED USERS CAN VIEW THIS CONTENT, BUY A PREMIUM ACCOUNT TO ACCESS THIS PAGE
>hope u got :tenbux:
>lol i suck mod cock xD
>How dare you, with your 2014 regdate and paltry postcount of 455, compare yourself to me, with my 1998 regdate and postcount of 8,934,298! How dare you! Mods, do my bidding and remove this peasant from my sight.
>(User was banned for this post. Reason: Disagreeing with a moderator. Date ban will be lifted: Never.)
>yiff yiff >:3

>>48197476
Not disputing that. Knowledgeable, but the admins who make the rules are a bunch of fucking pansies who need to take their testicles out of their purses and man the fuck up.
>>
Great homebrew. Mythos Compendium made me play 3.5 again.
>>
>>48197586
Ah, my son. This is not even the Golden Age of GitP Homebrew. Back when Vorpal Tribble was around, it was a veritable paradise.
>>
>>48197586
>Mythos Compendium
>3.5, but balanced around tier 2.
Whelp, that' neat. I had no idea this is a thing.

And then there's Trollman & K's "Tomes", which IIRC, are designed to bring 3.5 entirely up to Tier 1
https://sites.google.com/site/middendorfproject/frankpdf

>>48196952
Trollman's site is the Gaming Den, btw.

And If you want information on how 3.x works, (because you're dead set on sticking to it, and you want to homebrew or houserule to make things better instead of worse), you should look at:
>Upper Krust's Challenging Challenge Ratings v5
Which does a pretty decent job of breaking down all the common abilities in 3.5 into point-values based on how much they affect CR/Level - they're talking about using it to evaluate the power of custom monsters, but it very much also applies to class and race design, as well as character balance evaluations.

In conjunction with that, you should look at
>Trailblazer
Which does a VERY in-depth analysis of the statistics and mathematical patterns of 3.5, and presents a lot of that information to you.
They also put out a rebalanced monster manual based on these patterns, and revised core classes for 3.5 games that are supposedly better balanced.

Good stuff, again, if you're determined to keep using some kind of 3.x gaming, which some of us are for one reason or another, even if we also play other games, and GURPS.
>>
File: time to stop posting_1.jpg (43 KB, 526x394) Image search: [Google]
time to stop posting_1.jpg
43 KB, 526x394
>>48196745
>Literally admitting to total ignorance of the subject matter
>"Well, your fear is unfounded because memes!"
>>
>>48197768
What other gitp homebrew would you suggest checking out?
>>
>>48197879
Gramarie, which a whole huge subsystem built around magical engineering. Really cool stuff that imho is hamstringed by the system
>>
>>48197533
SomethingAwful was never good, but my god has it degenerated over time. LPArchive is literally the only thing related to the site that is still even remotely good.
>>
>>48198009
I have a friend who still posts for a something awful account and watches the let's plays.
>>
>>48198021
Pays for. Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>48197813
UKs CCR and trailblazer are both for 3.5, if you're working with pathfinder the design paradigm has shifted to drop dead levels and level adjustments, have more acfs, and the numbers on monsters are a little bit higher, bit without arbitrarily difficult for their CR monsters like 3.x did with dragons.
>>
>>48198103
Also, you can't actually lose levels or abandon your character xp in exchange for items anymore.
>>
>>48198103
But ukccrv5 is still really good in pathfinder for showing you what various abilities are worth in relation each other, even if they don't directly match up to challenge ratings anymore
>>
File: 1272852668843.png (329 KB, 448x473) Image search: [Google]
1272852668843.png
329 KB, 448x473
>>48198009
>>48198021
SA still has some good parts but it's just not a good place for general conversation anymore. The site doesn't even fucking know what it wants to be and it's a tragic identity crisis. Whether or not you can say nigger or faggot in GBS without getting banned depends on which mod is watching that day and what Lowtax has decided he wants GBS to be. One day it'll be early-00's era funtimes with maximum irreverence where nothing is sacred, but the next day you had better have your credit card ready if you dare to hurt someone's feelings.

The place's specialty boards seem alright for the most part, but paying :tenbux: just to post in a place where you're only really interested in one section seems like a waste of money, especially when at any point the board you like could be invaded by FYAD, the admin team's darling little retards who can do no wrong and are above the rules.
>>
Occasionally, you can see rare hyper autism on the boards. It's truly a spectacle to behold.
>>
>>48198277
Is it different from /tg/'s sociopathically detached hyper autism?
>>
>>48198306
Well, /tg/ has the benefit of not featuring the creator of work an their thoughts. I literally watched someone argue with Burlew about the plausibility of nations utilizing adventurers in his universe, and despite Burlew making it quite clear how things worked in OOTS, he still belabored the point with calculations and walls of texts reinforcing his position. It was fucking mind boggling.

I can see why Rich can be a little ban happy, because some of the people reading his comic are fucking retarded.
>>
You get laughed off the site for showing up and screaming about how much you do not like thing, so mostly good.
>>
>>48197533
Giantitp doesn't make people pay to see content or lift banks. I don't even think they have an option for it.

Postcounts aren't visible, and they don't even let people know what postcounts relate to what ranks. All you really know is that someone with a pixie rank might be new, and even then there's very little people do about that.

I disagree with mods on there all the time, at least in 3.5, 5e, and roleplaying general. Those guys post like normal people. Just don't call them names or start flinging shit all over the place.

>>48198352
>he still belabored the point with calculations and walls of texts reinforcing his position
I find that a lot there. There's a lot of value on doing your homework and backing things up. A good number of them are used to using rules logic to argue that a setting's established lore doesn't make sense and should be modified to fit game-rules.

>>48198394
>You get laughed off the site for showing up and screaming about how much you do not like thing, so mostly good
Also this.
>>
>>48197879
>>48197949
>Gramarie
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?320298-My-Little-Gramarist-SCIENCE!-is-Magic-Gramarie-Discussion
>>
>>48198486
My post was more about non-4chan forums in general, rather than GITP specifically. I'm glad to hear it doesn't fall into most of those traps.
>>
>>48198352
Reminds me of the guy who tried claiming that Durkon being vamped came out of nowhere, despite rich pulling out notes almost a decade old to the contrary.

And that's not to mention the migrant we got who claimed Belkar was incapable of empathy, despite the multitude of pages dedicated to showing precisely that
>>
>>48198486
>A good number of them are used to using rules logic to argue that a setting's established lore doesn't make sense and should be modified to fit game-rules.
Pure, absolute, unadulterated fucking cancer.
>>
>>48196952
>It's the only D&D site that isn't total garbage
Dragonsfoot also exists, but that's for 2nd ed. only.
>>
>>48198496
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/GramarieSystem
>>48198486
>>48198590
>using rules logic to argue that a setting's established lore doesn't make sense
This is useful stuff. Lets you know about internal inconsistencies.

>should be modified to fit game-rules.
This is backwards. If the rules don't match the desired setting, tweaking the rules is more desirable than redesigning the setting.

>>48198592
>Dragonsfoot
>2e only
Huh. I've never heard of that one, but I don't really play or have an interest in playing 2e, just reading its settings and adapting them to other games I do play, which would explain why I haven't stumbled across that site.
>>
>>48198658
What's the name of that setting that's a strawman for 3.5e Rules > Setting fags, where self-resetting "traps" of Teleport Without Error, Create Food and Water, Cure Disease, and Cure Light Wounds have solved basically every human need, and the setting is basically Megacity One dropped into the center of ten million miles of monster and ruin infested wilderness?
>>
>>48198715
Tippyverse?
>>
>>48198813
That's the bunny. Makes me laugh my ass off every time I think about it.
>>
>>48196952
>WotC Forums.
Anon, they killed those a while back.
>>
>>48198151
It depends on the sub forum, but as an infrequent lurker/poster I'll post my view on their /tg/ compared to ours.

Their forum is split into two halves - tradgames, for discussion, and the game room for actual play. Each has its own good and bad points, but some flaws are universal - the main one being its obsession with bad games.

The majority of their non-mafia rpg games played in the are Apocalypse world and its hacks, Strike! (A dnd 4e hack), 4E itself and 13th Age(a dnd 5th hack before dnd 5th was a thing, effectively). There was a time where one of their GMs was running 7 or 8 L5R games, but none of them were completed and, having spoken to the GM on IRC, would have probably been very restrictive. Their warhammer section, while small, is probably the best part of the board - however, the main problem with the entire subforum is that they are very, VERY sensitive - if you listen to them on their IRC, it's kind of funny how quickly some of them can become upset - I wasn't involved in most of the drama because I try to avoid it, but I remember some genuine upset over somebody not actively disliking Harry Potter.

In addition, they have this air of ironic psuedonerdism around them in certain areas, which probably explains why they have bad taste in games.
>>
>>48198592
>>48198658
Dragonsfoot is more 1e than 2e.
>>
>>48199115
On one hand, that's disappointing.

On the other hand, I would probably fit right in. Maybe I should dust off the account I bought on a whim back in 2011.
>>
>>48198592
Dragonsfoot believes in one prophet and it is gygax
>>
>>48199487
Behead those who insult gygax
>>
>>48199560
Blessed is gygax
>>
>>48196745
But ENworld is shit though.
>>
>>48199574
Ward, Niles, and Kuntz are pretty good too.
>>
>>48198587
I think the level of criticism that Rich gets is a little crazy, especially because he is good about posting his thoughts and the process that make x character do y.
>>
>>48194625
They're intelligent and they know their shit, but they can be really redundant in their responses to threads.

If you ask for ANY sort of advice on a 3.5/pathfinder build, the suggestion will always be to take caster levels.
>>
>>48194625
i'm an elitist fuck so i don't like other forums
>>
>>48195511
/tg/ has few majority opinions
>>
>>48196745
>SJW detected
now stop baiting and piss off.
>>
>>48203259
Stop being so triggered.
>>
>>48198715
>This exists.
Fuck. God is real, and he hates me personally.
>>
>>48194625
A wretched hive of autism and villainy.
>>
>>48203737
What's the problem?

Tippyverse is kindof neat
>>
>>48196952
rpg.net can be fun to read though when they have a giant thread about how terrible something is in a rpg line or some shit and how to fix it. Or how all rp should reflect your own morals or some shit like that.

the deadlands thread was hilarious they all were bitching about the rpg "white-washing" the confederacy or some shit and then they made their vastly superior setting that was Supernatural in a Western. They took a fun AU setting and turned it into a generic ripoff of another game and patted themselves on the back for it.
>>
>>48196952
Minmaxboards (formerly bg) is also good for minmax
Tgdmb is pretty much dead aside from shitting on 5e and pf but they do have some good threads about tabletops in general
>>
I was actually pretty active in the original forum back when the comic was new. I actually participated in the first attempt at a site campaign world. Hell, I started the thread that lead to it (no, really). We were doing fine with forum votes and the like... then something happened. I found the people that where supporting my ideas where also the assholes mucking up the world and tying everything down with useless votes and "magic kingdom" thinking. After a week long arguement over what cantrip a subrace of gnome had access to, I dropped out. If my ideas attracted assholes, maybe I need to rethink my ideas, you know? Anyhow, I fell out of forum use after that burnout.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.