[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RuneQuest PDF Dump
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 21
File: runequestcover.jpg (147 KB, 609x841) Image search: [Google]
runequestcover.jpg
147 KB, 609x841
I've been looking for a bronze age (or early iron age) rpg setting with a more mythic feel. So, I guess that means I want to get into RuneQuest.

Please post PDFs, version recommendations, and other Runequest stuff here.
>>
RQ6 is the current favourite edition; RQ2 the classic was rereleased recently, and a new Glorantha Centric version of RQ is in the works which may be right up your alley, as it's Bronze Age as fuck.

I've been kitbashing minis for a Second Age Ralios campaign with MRQ; mostly I'm doing the slightly backwards Orlanthi clanfolk of Lankst, and their neighbours the Telmori.

As a base I'm using Warlord Games 28mm celts and Copplestone Cavemen respectively.

Got me a roundhouse a some palisades I made outta flock, plasticard and matchsticks too.
>>
>>48193247
You can't use "RuneQuest" in the OP. It triggers the filters, although you could argue that the kind of people who use filters may not be the kind of people you want to hang out with, RQ is a bit of a niche system already.
>>
>I've been looking for a bronze age (or early iron age) rpg setting

Why though.

>with a more mythic feel.

I think you mean one that has myths. You'd need to look far elsewhere for a "mythic" feel.
>>
File: Belintar's Aura.jpg (588 KB, 1280x1566) Image search: [Google]
Belintar's Aura.jpg
588 KB, 1280x1566
>>48195339
I think when he says he wants to play Rune Quest because it's "Mythic" he probably means he wants Glorantha; the material of which in part captures the feeling of long lost proto-myth in a perfect yet malleable form.

Gloranthan mythology is special and malleable like spacetime; conflicting mythologies coexist because they are held to be subjectively true; and they are, even the ones that contradict; Especially the ones that contradict.
>>
File: RuneQuest_Essentials.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest_Essentials.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48195308
What, you mean like anti Quest thread people?
I might find it mildly amusing if people made knee jerk reaction posts accusing this thread as being a quest thread.

>>48193247
I'm not at home but I can repost the PDFs I got from that recent RQ thread
>>
File: Fenix_113_RuneQuest.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Fenix_113_RuneQuest.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Well, obligatory random files forthcoming...
>>
File: RQ6_7_5_.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RQ6_7_5_.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196395
>>
File: Elder Scrolls RQ6v4.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Elder Scrolls RQ6v4.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196407
>>
File: Storm_Bull.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Storm_Bull.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196436
>>
>>48195753
Even without Glorantha, RuneQuest is probably the best sword and sandal system out there.
>>
File: RuneQuest 4ed.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest 4ed.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196452
More random items
>>
File: Sariniya's Curse.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sariniya's Curse.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196762
>>
File: Warlords.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Warlords.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196819
>>
File: Runequest Slayers.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Runequest Slayers.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196854
And at the risk of breaking everything..
>>
>>48195339
What do you mean, why? Because the geopolitics, technology, and religion of the bronze age is just as unique and fascinating as that of the Medieval Age.

Would you be asking why if someone wanted to play in a medieval setting?
>>
>>48195339
>>48195753

Exactly! When I say mythic I mean Homer's Trojan War. I mean the supernatural politicing of
greek myth. I mean the poetic character of the Pelopenessian War.

When i say mythic I mean it has monsters that don't feel like cookie-cutter Gygaxian wargaming. I'm talking about magic and monsters that feel unique to the setting and spring from origins akin to those of the original Minotaur.
>>
>>48195822
Wait, there is an anti-Runequest faction? Are they opposed to the rules or opposed to Glorantha?
>>
>>48197064
No, Quests. Sort of board roleplaying mixed with CYOAs. It's just that since it's Quest in the title, you also trip up people who's set up filters to get rid of all Quests.
>>
File: RuneQuest_SandysNotes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest_SandysNotes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48197064
Nah, there are these threads called quest threads where people interact with the OP in a sort of free style "choose your own adventure" kind of way. It's a little different from skirmish type threads, which is more war gamey and allows players to control individual characters/units
>>
File: RuneQuest_StarWars.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
RuneQuest_StarWars.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>48197212
Apparently, this was Pete Nash making some quick-and-dirty Star Wars rules for a convention. I feel obliged to post a PSA that he doesn't feel that happy with them, feeling like they'd need more polish.
>>
>>48195753
>>48197040
> Glorantha; the material of which in part captures the feeling of long lost proto-myth in a perfect yet malleable form.
>Exactly! When I say mythic I mean Homer's Trojan War. I mean the supernatural politicing of
greek myth. I mean the poetic character of the Pelopenessian War.

Glorantha does a terrible job at capturing a "mythic" feel if that was what it was trying to go for, especially if we're talking Homeric mythic. Even the Myths of Glorantha are already pale shadows of Norse myths, which in turn tend to pale in comparison to the Greeks/Romans. While it's strange to use the concept of "power levels" in reference to mythology, Glorantha is just such a low step on the scale that it just doesn't have the muscle to feel properly "mythic." It would have to be set long, long after the Age of Heroes.

It's good for offbeat low-power fantasy if you don't like a lot of fireballs, but it's not really "mythic" in the sense most people would use it.

But yes, it has a lot of myths.
>>
File: Gwenthia.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Gwenthia.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Speaking of polish, here's The Design Mechanism's first creation - before it was The Design Mechanism.
>>
>>48195308
I just have my filter set to highlight Runequest at a higher priority than my filter quest threads hidden.
>>
>>48197337
What isn't mythic about getting a woman's father's hands from the big city occupied by the enemy? Then getting a legendary sword from a zombie infested swamp that is the necromancer's domain and finally rescuing said father from the hell of the enemy nation.
>>
File: 1428391539564.jpg (219 KB, 837x768) Image search: [Google]
1428391539564.jpg
219 KB, 837x768
>>48197337
Our constant foe.
>>
Now that Design Mechanism is losing the Runequest license, will we get a good, competent Runequest designed by people who aren't retarded?
>>
>>48199689
We have a chance but it's in Chaosium's hands. That means we'll wait 10 years for anything to come out.
>>
>>48199474
That's literally not mythic. That's pulpy fantasy, at best.
>>
>>48199739
>Chaosium

You mean that shitty company that published six editions of COC with minors rules tweaks and finally bolted on some modernized mechanics after 5e came out with advantage/disadvantage?

Not much hope there, it would seem.
>>
>>48199474
Not that Anon, but when I think "mythic" I think of Heracles holding up the world for Atlas. All that stuff you listed makes me think "Robert E. Howard".
>>
>>48197287
They do, but it is only polish that it needs. It's surprisingly comprehensive and matches the feel of the OT
>>
>>48199958
So the other labors of Hecules don't count? I mean cleaning out stables? Hunting a deer? Hunting a lion?

Bringing someone back from hell is literally a Greek myth.
>>
>>48197337
>don't like a lot of fireballs
Uh... My sorcerer threw a *lot* of fireballs.
>>
>>48200048
All that shit was mythic level though. It wasn't just any deer. it was the Golden Hind of Artemis. It wasn't just any bull, it was The Cretan Bull. It wasn't just any stables. it was the Augean stables (AKA Shit Mountain.

Good point about Orpheus though. However, he got into hell by playing a mythical level lyre, rather than any help from a magical third party.

This is all my opinion however, so ymmv.
>>
>>48199689
Well we've already got RQ6, and isn't there a new one on the way that's essentially the same thing with some new additions?
>>
>>48200170
>rather than any help from a magical third party.
Who is this third party? Two of the ways to go to hell in the adventure is to either go down a hole that leads to hell or to recreate Orlanth going to hell to get the sun back. And even then you're on your own to actually get to the right hell.

And what is wrong about getting help from the gods anyway? Was Perseus not a mythological figure because he got items from the gods? Is the Trojan War not mythic because the gods interfered (killing Achiles and I also read one iteration where Paris only survived his duel because of divine intervention). Are Jason and the Argonauts not mythic because they're a group of heroes?

I think it might just not be Greek enough for you.
>>
File: YESPLS.jpg (41 KB, 500x436) Image search: [Google]
YESPLS.jpg
41 KB, 500x436
>>48200244

nice dubs faggot nigger kill urslef
>>
>>48193247
I kinda wish you knew how to talk without sounding like you were trying to sell me something.
>>
>>48200342
Sounds like a great argument, you first.
>>
File: oq2-cover-preview.png (415 KB, 493x640) Image search: [Google]
oq2-cover-preview.png
415 KB, 493x640
So I like the idea of RuneQuest - a system based on the sort of percentile skills that thieves had in old school D&D - but find that it's a decent bit crunchier than I care for. I know that other games in the RQ group are supposed to be simpler, but which would you guys recommend if simplicity and speed of play are the most important things? BRP? OpenQuest? Magic World? Pic potentially related.
>>
File: 1455777870377.gif (2 MB, 412x586) Image search: [Google]
1455777870377.gif
2 MB, 412x586
>>48200399
>RQ6

again with the dubs calm down u whore.

RQ6 is shit and you know it. It's been around way too long and the new shit is shiny-er than a sweaty flamingo.
The new additions are based. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an autist.

check em
>>
>>48200463
>The latest edition is shit
>The new additions are based

Well now it just looks like you're strutting around throwing your own shit. This is, of course, after you get triggered from me asking about the new version in the works.

So which is shit, and which is based, and do you have a reason other than image macros?
>>
>>48200447
OpenQuest, then Magic World, then BRP (iff the GM is willing to spend time before hand setting everything up, there are a lot of switches in the game that can make things easier/more complicated), then RQ 6.
>>
File: War_by_bitrix_studio.jpg (109 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
War_by_bitrix_studio.jpg
109 KB, 800x534
>>48197064
There seems to be one. Although I'm uncertain as to whether he is a RQ-fag aiming to entertain or genuinely retarded.
>>
>>48200562
Thanks!
>>
What sorts of games fit RQ6 the best?
>>
>>48200530

na mate im coming from /pol/. Literally no idea what we're talking about here.

protip: dont feed trolls and they leave

have a wonderful week friendos
>>
File: beeker.gif (246 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
beeker.gif
246 KB, 440x248
>>48200725
>na mate im coming from /pol/. Literally no idea what we're talking about here.
..but /pol/ is supposedly always right? I'm confused.
>>
>>48200891
He's a false flag, /pol/ is a board of peace.
>>
>>48200918
So you've never been there, I take it.
>>
>>48201918
He's making a sarcastic islamophobic reference.

In other words, he's DEFINITELY been there
>>
Has anyone read or used Mongoose Legend? How do you think it compares to RQ(6)?
>>
>>48205039
I like it. The main differences as I see it are no legendary abilities, and less magic systems. Legend does have a couple of nice supplements such as Blood Magic.
>>
>>48205623
Yeah, I got the pdfs from the bundleofholding not long ago. Vikings of legend is also a good supplement, containing much information about the culture of nordic people.

I think legend is just about right for Conan-esque campaigns and I might try that at some point.
>>
File: Eberron.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Eberron.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48205039
I've not actually used Legend apart from a few test characters and test-fights. I'd say it's outdone by RQ Essentials, but you could easily smooch them together for an even better ruleset.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.