[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The Pronoun Game: >Okay, here it is – we use he, him,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 23
File: pic514828.jpg (57 KB, 450x582) Image search: [Google]
pic514828.jpg
57 KB, 450x582
>The Pronoun Game:
>Okay, here it is – we use he, him, and his when we’re talking about people playing the game. It just seems weird to alternate pronoun genders within the same book – it makes it feel like the book is written for two different audiences. The masculine pronoun is the standard and right or wrong we’re used to seeing
it. It may not be politically correct, but you can’t please everybody

How based can they be? Are other game designers this sensible usually?
>>
It's too bad the game sucks.
>>
File: pathetic.jpg (151 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
pathetic.jpg
151 KB, 500x280
>singular they has been common usage since the 16th century at least
>it only became a "problem" when self-proclaimed "grammaticists" got a stick up their ass in the 1800s
>people still bitch about it despite singular they still being heavily used in speech and writing, even by people who bitch about it
>>
>>48184857
Reee explain

>>48184909
It's just a product of the times, everyone has to worry about offending someone else.
>>
>>48184909

Singular They was common before singular "you" was - there's actually some hilarious rants by scholars in the 16ths and 17th century who are furious at the "modern practice" of using "you" instead of "thou" (you being the plural of thou, which was the singular equivalent; "what the fuck did thou say about me thou little bitch?" vs. "you all shall regret messing with me!". You was only properly used in a singular sense when referring to royalty as a counterpart to that whole weird "royal we" pluralisation of singular royals as representing the lineage of the royal rather than just themselves, so one criticism of the singular you was that it made the speaker sound pretentious and duplicitous as it gave the air of someone who was trying too hard to flatter the subject that was being spoken to)
>>
The sidebar about book pirating is so annoying and wrecks any goodwill I may have before I even get to the rest of this terrible game.
>>
>>48185148
That's really interesting, actually.

>>48185176
I personally thought it cool that they actually recognized that was a practice. He's not wrong.
>>
>>48184823
>Doesn't do that weird flipping between male and female pronouns
>based

You're easy to please, you know that?
>>
>>48186228
The way he's treating it is based desu.
>>
>>48185038
>explain
While the lolpokerdice mechanic seems really cool at first, it results in EXTREMELY fucky math. Additionally, while the setting as presented in ONLY the corebook seems interesting, every supplement released just makes the whole thing increasingly creepy and fetishy.
>>
JUST USE THE SINGULAR THEY YOU FUCKS
>>
>>48184823
If they actually gave a shit, they'd just use "they" or "his/her" or "his and her" or whatever.

This method is also known as, "What normal people say," or, "People who don't give a shit do this, literally nobody with an IQ over 10 uses male pronouns for everything."
>>
File: 1414976836566.jpg (108 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
1414976836566.jpg
108 KB, 960x639
>>48187335
>creepy and fetishy
Sounds like that's a very personal opinion, rather than something that makes the game bad.

Do you have any examples of this fucky math?

>reading Damnation View
>Dr. Simon Tam
Ayyy
>>
>>48187420
"They" also works, but the rest of that shit you wrote is just cringeworthy.

>being high and mighty on a Fijian flip book website
>>
Has anybody here actually played Cthulhutech?
It sounds fucking awesome but i remember hearing that some of the fluff was kinda fetishy.
and math was a little wonky.
but I never saw clear examples of those points.
>>
File: KAJCag.gif (1004 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
KAJCag.gif
1004 KB, 320x180
>>48187335
You forgot to add a few "problematics," "icky"-ies and "gross" in your post.
>>
>>48184823
>Based
You mean intentionally antagonistic and childish? This thread is bait.

>>48185038
Product of it's times? Offending someone?
There was no tumblr in the 1800s. People just up and decided Singular They" wasn't correct. CthulhuTech is intentionally trying to offend, because it wanted to act like girls don't play games. This shit was news back in the 90s when Vampire the Masquerade first did it, but "girls play video games too!?" is such a childish attitude.

Also, the game is garbage and the worst system I've had the displeasure of trying. The setting is a great idea ruined by edginess and rape rape rape. Even where it makes sense they somehow mishandle it. Each book also comes with a railroady metaplot heavy one shot module.

Reading this shit I actually thought 2e might be from a different creator
>Tone
>We've heard the feedback from the community, so the Shadow War focuses on the awesomeness of being an occult super-hero, while leaving the more controversial subject matter to implication or the desires of individual groups. We feel that this will make V2 accessible to a greater cross-section of players.
They're also actually allowing the game to be Creative Commons, and letting you sell stuff on DrivethruRPG, which is a far cry from the loud harassment of "you can't change anything fuck you this is my game".

>>48186277
It's childish. It bitches that girls are some completely different audience.
>>48186228
He's afraid of girls and their cooties. When the book uses "she" to describe the player, it makes him nervous.
>>
>>48187659
>missing the point this badly
>lacking this much reading comprehension
It's literally making the point that guys and girls are the same audience, it's one, conjoined audience that they're choosing to address by saying "he" because they feel like it.

I've never seen someone so fucking triggered in my life.
>>
>>48187584
As long as you avoid the published adventure modules, they tend to be runaway railroads. There are some issues with the math, which a Google search can turn up. Like all games, it can be excellent or it can be awful. Just decide what level game you want.

Also, I know that there is a 2.0 version out for free beta tedting, but I haven't read it yet.
>>
>>48187695
Probably that hambeast in the "that guy" thread from earlier today.
>>
>>48187723
Which post am I looking for in the archive?
>>
>>48187770
>>48144761
This be the one
>>
>>48187703
>Also, I know that there is a 2.0 version out for free beta tedting, but I haven't read it yet.
I haven't looked at it either. I've been meaning to get around to it, since it focuses on the best part of the setting, i.e. the Eldritch Horror Power Rangers.

>>48187584
>Has anybody here actually played Cthulhutech?
Yes. I joined in one session from an ongoing game as a Spectre Tager, and I was in a group that was going to play grimdark magical girls as our lolis accidentally fell through the roof into a Tager ritual. The math was fucky as hell.

>>48187649
The game repeatedly goes out of it's way to bring up rape in the most childish ways possible, including the fact that the Esoteric Order of Dagon has given up with Innsmouth style interbreeding and just set up rape camps all along the Atlantic.

>>48187695
That is flat out wrong, though.

>>48187723
>>48187781
Nope. I just found Ctech childish.
>>
>>48187659
I actually have hope for 2e. But I can see where the 1e guys were coming from. They made the game they wanted to make in the way they like to play. It just so happens that their preferred playstyle is not conducive to profit generation. Like you said, it has good points and could probably have been handled better, and it shows. But it generated buzz and hype and controversy, which leads us to 2e.
The focus on Tagers is a smart move, it was the most popular line.
>>
>>48187811
>That is flat out wrong, though.
Different anon here, but the passage in the OP clearly supports what he said.
>>
>>48187815
I don't think it really generated the right kind of buzz.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech/
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech-vade-mecum/

>>48187840
I'm sorry but with the context of the book and the way the creator was acting, I can't not read that as anything but a childish "this game is for boys".
>>
>>48187846
I'm sorry you have poor reading comprehension
>>
File: 1373734338336.jpg (171 KB, 632x1264) Image search: [Google]
1373734338336.jpg
171 KB, 632x1264
>>48184823
You haven't been paying attention to their second edition, have you? Language and content approved by RPG.net's own White Knight-commitee.
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 384x384
>>48184823
Lol pokerdice thread?

>>48187335
>>48187472
It's not as bad as people make out. It's just time consuming. You need to spend a few minutes working out what your 'hand' is after you roll.
>>
>>48187924
>It's just time consuming
Anon, that's why it's bad. And every combat action will likely have it happen four times, because they want Attack-Defense-Damage-Soak.

>>48187901
>abloobloo SJWs are ruining games with all their cooties. Why can't games be only for boys?
>>
>>48187952
Oh it's bad, it's just not 'broken' in the strictest sense. It's like THAC0 in ADND.

The biggest problem is that it doesn't *add anything*, they could've used it to handle attack defence damage soak into the same roll but they don't.
>>
>>48187584
Only thing that got a bit weird was the cult expansion that added in some group that worshipped anthro creatures, and would kidnap women for the anthros to have lethal rape children with.

Biggest problem was the dev team having no clue how to mesh standard humans, tagers, mechs, and not-EVAs into the same games. It was pretty much "pick one of these to base your game around," because mixing any of them would result in stupidly imbalanced results.
>>
>>48188488
Rape cults were in core.
Why do you think it's called the Rapine Storm?

Also, the developer didn't want you to mix them. He acted like anyone who had a Tager so much as look at a mech too long should be banned from ever playing his precious game.
>>
File: 1466589172047 (1).png (2 MB, 747x1023) Image search: [Google]
1466589172047 (1).png
2 MB, 747x1023
>>48187584
Played in a tager game. Was fun until we realized that Tagers barely played well together with the shit they were suppose to deal with, and a single unit of power armor was a TPK enabler and kind of made dhoanoids pointless as a threat.
>>
>>48187952
>Why can't games be only for boys?
I've literally never met a girl in a game group (meaning people actually WANT to play with her) that gives that much of a shit about the pronouns a game book uses.
>>
File: Push.png (249 KB, 600x689) Image search: [Google]
Push.png
249 KB, 600x689
>>48188532
Also in every metaplot book they made the chrysalis corporation more and more captain planet-tier levels of evil and stupid and it just got to the point where we couldn't suspend disbelief.

>But why are these power generators made out of babies
>lol y not tho
>But why do they keep making medicine and guns that clearly don't work but no one catches on
>lol y not tho
>Why does the apparently competent OIS not realize how big a threat the CC is right under their nose? There is clearly no reason for them to be ignoring the company
>lol y not tho
>What is even the point of Nephilim?

The game started out with a solid premise that was frantically segemented and every major metaplot book sought to make every working part as anti-ethical and just impossible to try and make a cohesive narrative. The game couldn't focus on supernatural espionage, cyberpunk horror, mecha action, or about crazy sci fi psychics because each got the scantest amount of information available, and was cut off from the rest of the setting.
>>
>>48188546
Anon, you're missing the point. The point is that RPGs shouldn't do this "we only care about men" bullshit anymore. They shouldn't have done it in the first place. It's not about whether girls *can* play, it's about the fact that having a sidebar to say "we're not going to bother with pronouns, these games are for boys". They say that having female pronouns makes it seem like the book is written for two different audiences. Women are not a "different audience". And that's not even touching on the way that most women in art are treated as sexual objects who are there to look attractive first and fill out the setting second.

So many RPGs--and people in this community--seem to think women should just be okay with everyone assuming that everything is only going to be played by guys and that they're not actually part of the community, just outsiders who can be allowed to sit at the table. If you can't understand that, I'm going to be straight with you, it's probably because you don't have to deal with that kind of thing.

It's not about "giving a shit about the pronouns a game book uses". It's about whether the game book gives a shit about you.
>>
>>48188518
I know you are a troll, but Rapine means Yellow.
>>
>>48188596
>It's about whether the game book gives a shit about you.
It's a fucking game book, anon. An inanimate object. It's not capable of feeling emotions.
>>
>>48188612
>implying books cannot have feelings
>>
>>48188488
>>48188518
>>48188532
>>48188562
Rapine means looting.

There is a lot of rape thought, just an over reliance on shock value. Same with the infamous baby batteries.

>>48188532
They really should've just focused on the Tangers.

>>48188596
>It's about whether the game book gives a shit about you.

5/10
>>
>>48188596
>>48188612
All a game book should provide is rules, setting and art optional.

Play games with friends, act like reasonable adults. Life is hard enough, don't fight about rpgs. Have fun instead.
>>
File: Mikhail zero 3.png (2 MB, 1500x1324) Image search: [Google]
Mikhail zero 3.png
2 MB, 1500x1324
>>48188640
They really should have just focused on something. At all. If they gave any shit about the game, they could have given focus on something and made it a coherent game.

>>48188638
You dumbass.
>>
>>48188612
I'm sorry, I forgot I was talking to adult human beings, not poorly programmed incompetent robots who don't understand figurative language.

>>48188609
>>48188640
Rapine comes from the same root word as rape. In fact, the word rape comes from the Rape of the Sabine Women, a tale of rapine marriage that became synonymous with unwanted sexual advances.
And I'm pretty sure they chose the word specifically to refer to rape, because this is CthulhuTech we're talking about.

>>48188648
That's wrong and you know it. People aren't paying $40+ for only the mechanics and nothing else. And yes, life is hard, that's kind of the problem here. It's harder for some than others and /tg/ often assumes everyone should feel the exact same way they do about everything. Even when other people have to put up with shit they don't.
>>
Do we not tell people to go back to tumblr anymore?
>>
>>48188609
>Rapine means Yellow.
In what language?
>>
Their over-reliance on rape for shock value got tiresome really fast. Like they were trying to bait feminists into giving their mediocre game free publicity.
>>
>>48188679
>Even when other people have to put up with shit they don't.
It's so hard, reading one fewer letter whenever a pronoun referring to a hypothetical human being that doesn't actually exist comes up.
>>
>>48188712
>Being this myopic
If a game only used female pronouns you would lose your Goddamned mind and never play it.
>>
>>48188720
You're damn right I would, but not for the reason you seem to think. I'd be pissed at the inefficiency of using female pronouns on hypotheticals when male pronouns are, on average, shorter.
>>
File: horned_ones-FCano.jpg (30 KB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
horned_ones-FCano.jpg
30 KB, 400x259
>>48188609
>rapine means yellow
u wot m8?

Anyway, I was going to say to >>48188518 that I wasn't talking about the Rapine Storm (or Deep Ones, Cult of Hastur, Dionysus Club, Congregation of the Earth Mother, etc.). The Horned Ones were probably what I was thinking of. Forget the name of the expansion, but a quick look online suggests searching for "the best sex you'll ever have" in the book text to quickly find it.

Their associated premade module involves them rolling up to the PCs, and players having to roll to save against hormonal mind control or be raped (jist kidding, there is no roll, so your players get treated to you reading how they get passed around by a gang of sexually-charged furries).
>>
>>48188739
You're full of shit. You'd lose your damned mind because you'd say that it was an SJW game and probably accuse it of pandering. Meanwhile this sidebar totally isn't pandering to you, no sir.

Also, so what you're saying is that it's literally so hard, to read one more letter whenever a pronoun referring to a hypothetical human being that doesn't actually exist comes up?
>>
I'm not saying anyone should start using any of the bullshit special snowflake ones, but goddamn it gets annoying sometimes how English doesn't have a neutral pronoun that isn't used for something else.

I just want something to apply to traps before I'm sure.
>>
>>48188748
You don't know me. You have no idea where I come from, where I've been, how long I've been there, what I had to do to get from where I was to where I am now.

So what do you think gives you the insight to be able to predict my reaction to something with a single shred of accuracy?
>>
>>48188659
The problem is through the game is split between wanting to do gritty call of Cthulhu investigation games and over the top Anime battles.

The tagers could've had it work.

>>48188688
Nah, no one really cared about that back then. They're crappy writers.
>>
File: 1467943745656.png (1 MB, 1069x767) Image search: [Google]
1467943745656.png
1 MB, 1069x767
>>48188795
The tagers were the part that drew me in the most. Guyver style characters are always fun.

sadly, they're possibly one of the worst implemented parts of the system. though that's like picking the least used needle in a crack house.
>>
>>48188777
They.
Your English teacher was wrong, and probably not paid enough to care. It's They. The textbook is wrong, and following an arbitrary guideline.

>>48188795
>>48188824
2e seems to have ̶g̶r̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶cleaned up their act. Though I've only really read the intro. Check it out >>48187811
It focuses only on the Tagers. Book 2 will be about robots.
>>
>>48188845
Looking forward to book 2, then.
>>
This insistence on not using "they" is kind of strange. The Epicene They has been in use in English since, like, the 1300s. I've never understood why people think it's incorrect.
>>
>>48188790
You're acting like a thousand other fuckfaces who've said the same tired dogshit a thousand times.
>>
>>48188845
You missed this part:
>that isn't used for something else
>>
>>48187924
This
>>
>>48187659
People didn't "up and decide" you firebrick haired triggered little shit nugget.

It was a concerted effort by academics to shit over what works because they felt it wasn't good enough for their namsy pansy academia
>>
>>48188938
>you firebrick haired triggered little shit nugget.
>haired triggered
The irony is palpable.

Also, that's basically what I said.
>>
>>48185148
Wait, you used to basically be y'all? That's hilarious.

>>48185176
I don't have this book and I CBA to go track it down just for one sidebar. Would someone mind posting it?
>>
>>48189014

>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little thief? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with stealing my shit over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "downloading" was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have paid up. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Paraphrased a bit
>>
>>48189014
>If You Downloaded This Book
>So if you’re one of the people who has downloaded this book illegally off the internet, let’s talk. We want to stay in business. We don’t get to stay in business if you don’t buy our products but you use them anyway. In more personal terms, if you like CthulhuTech, please go out and buy the books, because if you don’t we go out of business or we kill the line because sales suck and boom – no more CthulhuTech. You lose, we lose, everybody loses. Everybody loves something for nothing, but this sort of thing comes with a price whether it’s money or not.
Turns out they were wrong.
>>
>>48189100
That's not too unreasonable of a thing to say. It's not so over the top as >>48189047

It's not really going to affect anything beyond one or two people here and there, but I don't blame them for putting that in.
>>
>>48188845
>Date 8 May 16

Oh wow, I don't know they were working on a second eddition. I just considered it abandoned by now.

Great. Here's hoping they get it right this time.

>We've heard the feedback from the community, so the Shadow War focuses on the awesomeness of being an occult super-hero, while leaving the more controversial subject matter to implication or the desires of individual groups. We feel that this will make V2 accessible to a greater cross-section of players.

Umm....

This is like dickwolfgate, say you're going to keep doing it and you look like a try hard edge lord.

Say you'll stop and you just come across as a backpedalling cucks who lost his balls.
>>
>>48189100
That's seriously all they said? If you don't buy our products we'll go out of business?

God the way /tg/ talk about them I thought they literally posted something along the lines of >48189047

Guess he hit a nerve.
>>
Just something.
Call the Referee Her/She, call the Player He/Him.
Suddenly, not only do you acknowledge that anyone can play an RPG, but you do it in a non ridiculously tryhard way.

That's what a lot of game books I've seen already do by the way.

Also, don't go and make a paragraph on how you adress it like Cthulhu Tech did in an attempt to basically say "we're very uncomfortable with what we're doing and want you to feel like we're super comfortable with it", thus making a big fuss of something that, frankly, only vain people care about.
>>
>>48189518
>Also, don't go and make a paragraph on how you adress it
Why the fuck not?
Just stating outright "We do THIS because of THAT" in a reasonable way is all anybody can ask of you. It only takes up three sentences at most, cram it in a box at the beginning of the game and be done with it.
As somebody who writes games and routinely reads a shitton of them, using different pronouns for the DM still makes for a shitty read when reading DM sections.
>>
>>48189280
Nothing triggers /tg/ more than people sensibly making points that disagree with its worldview.
>>
>>48189518
Hasn't She been used for avatars and concept for ages though? in which case calling the character she makes more sense as they're class avatars of sorts.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 338x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 338x436
>>48189518
Yeah Muant Year Zero does this and helps differentiate.

>Also, don't go and make a paragraph on how you adress it like Cthulhu Tech did in an attempt to basically say "we're very uncomfortable with what we're doing and want you to feel like we're super comfortable with it", thus making a big fuss of something that, frankly, only vain people care about.

This.

>>48189696
In general if you know something is going to a upset a vocal minority, it's just best not to aknowledge it.

Doing so just opens you up to further critics.
>>
>>48187815
When I found out 2nd was keeping the retarded poker dice system my hopes for it being playable died.
Poker dice is absolutely fucking aids.
>>
>>48189100
>You lose, we lose, everybody loses
Actually, I'm fairly sure they're the only ones who lose.
>>
File: suchshitters.png (103 KB, 312x142) Image search: [Google]
suchshitters.png
103 KB, 312x142
>>48189280
Here it is right out of the book.
>>
>>48189242

The rape stuff wasn't anti-PC like dickwolves, it wasn't trying to send a message like PA. It was simply perverted, like Exalted's rape furries.

Removing some extreme fetishist shit isn't losing your balls, there was no message in there now lost, it's simply trying to be better entertainers.
>>
>>48189931
>2nd was keeping the retarded poker dice system
But it's not. 2E uses a d10 pool where you use the highest of: the highest number on any die, the highest number you can make by summing identical numbers, or the highest you can make by summing at least three consecutive numbers.
>>
>>48190004

>>2nd was keeping the retarded poker dice system

>But it's not. 2E uses a d10 pool where you use the highest of: the highest number on any die, the highest number you can make by summing identical numbers, or the highest you can make by summing at least three consecutive numbers.

Am I being rused?
>>
>>48190004
Scratch that, it's the same system just explained slightly differently (without mention of poker).
>>
>>48190004
So, the same system as Weapons f the Gods/Legends of the Wulin.
>>
>>48189955
Seems reasonable, I really don't see what the problem is.

>>48189931
I'd be fine with it if they was actually was point to it all.

One Roll Engine uses 'height' and 'width' initiative and damage.

Hell actual poker dice make you weight up which dice you want to keep.
>>
>>48190004
Yes... that is what poker dice is.
You match incidentals or consecutives.
And it is a stupid system, and has some of the worst averages and ranges due to how fucking massive it is, three dice could be between 3 and 30 while five could be between 5 and 50, you can not properly scale things with those wide of ranges which was one of the biggest issues with CT when I played it.
That is why most systems use addition of a static with a dice roll, or a pass fail system, they are much easier to keep in specific bounds and ranges.
>>
>>48190026
2E does, however, change it so that difficulty removes dice from your pool instead of changing the target number (static 13).
>>
>>48189100
I don't see the problem with that. Why the fuck do any of you have an issue with that? Jesus.
>>
>>48188685
>In what language?
American. As in Yellaw. Means being a coward.
>>
>>48190044
How many days did you usually roll at one time? It makes a huge difference when looking for an 'average' result

>>48190056
Interesting considering losing dice makes a huge difference with your odds of getting a set.

What's the default number?
>>
>>48190250
TN is 13. Average characteristic rating is 5, so you need an 8 or better to succeed. Some tests give you an extra degree of success for every three over 13 you get.

Easy is 'Don't roll unless you only have one die'.
Each step above Average is -1 die.
>>
>>48190250
>How many days did you usually roll at one time? It makes a huge difference when looking for an 'average' result
Well my group was hyper focused munchkins, so a lot, I forget the exact number, this was around ten years ago I want to say, might have been even longer.
>>
>>48188596
>choosing a pronoun to write the book in is the same as saying girl's shouldn't play
You're reading too much into it, calm down.
>>
>>48188845
>Your English teacher was wrong
I bet you have the degree and experience to back that up, and not an emotional reason for thinking you know better.
>>
>>48188720
>>48188748
doesn't pathfinder use exclusively female pronouns
it was that or another d&d edition
i'm pretty sure nobody except the loudest chief niggers cared to be honest
and speaking of loud chief niggers, the fuck are you doing out of tumblr?
>>
>>48184823
I like 5e using second person.
>you roll X skill
>you gain Y ability
>>
>>48189242
>Say you'll stop and you just come across as a backpedalling cucks who lost his balls.
Seriously? Maybe to childish people. Hell, they're kind of writing it as "we grew up" but my impression of the devs from 1e makes me feel its' more of a "fine, fuck you people". Or, maybe they really did grow up. I hope they did.

>>48190032
>>48189955
>>48189280
>>48189702
>>48190076
I don't know about other anons, but my issue with it was always that it presented a binary view of piracy. Meanwhile, statistically people who pirate are more likely to legitimately purchase media.

>>48189696
First off, it's not really that reasonable. Second off, no one would have cared if they hadn't gone out of their way to say it in the first place.

>>48189518
Pathfinder's way of doing it is best. They give each class an Iconic, and by extension a gender. It also allows them to use proper names instead of just pronouns.
>>
>>48190852
That's not what I said. What I said is that failing to accommodate or even acknowledge a demographic means that you don't care about (or at best only incidentally care about) that demographic. In this case, that demographic is fully half the population.
>>48190885
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
The reason Singular They was pushed out of popular use was due to emotional reasons. The reason you spell words the way that you do has more to do with emotion than grammar. For instance, whether you use colour or color is generally up to "emotional reasons". Here's an informative video on the subject, in fact https://youtu.be/j9Q1cM7_ai4
And another on Singular They specifically https://youtu.be/46ehrFk-gLk

>>48191178
Personally I think second person is awkward. But unfortunately I tend to default to it, and I feel like it gets in the way of my clarity.
>>
File: 1365396380780.jpg (25 KB, 480x349) Image search: [Google]
1365396380780.jpg
25 KB, 480x349
>>48191364
>whether you use colour or color is generally up to "emotional reasons."
No. It's about whether you choose to write proper english or not.
>>
>>48191538
And who do you think decided what was proper?
How do you think "proper" is determined?

Do you think there are measurements and instruments?

Do you have any understanding of how language works? America dropped the u from colour just because. It's not even anything like how Beef has French etymology and Cow has German etymology.

Hell, you know how high school English says not to use prepositions? Here's the Oxford Dictionary blog pointing out why that's not true, even going so far as to use the phrase "Latin obsessed 17-Century introverts"
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/

Most things on "grammatical correctness" have nothing to do with grammar at all; they're style guides. And if you remember those essays, you'll know there are many competing style guides.
>>
>>48191652
First random Google-hit:
"Though color occasionally appears outside the U.S., it is still considered a misspelling."
http://grammarist.com/spelling/color-colour/
>>
>>48189518
>>48189790
The paragraph was a good idea, because it's Cthulhutech getting out in front of the hate.

It's an adage that, for every 100 people who see the shitstorm, 10 people are going to follow it enough to see the retraction/explanation, and 1 person is going to be unpartisan enough to be swayed by it.

By putting out a basic, "here's what we're doing and why" disclaimer, they defanged people like the faggot in this thread who would constantly whine about how women weren't being included in the game. Even if you don't agree with their choice, it's easy for anyone with half a brain the understand , and instead of someone framing it as soggy knees and forcing Ctech to fight an uphill battle to prove they're not, it's Ctech saying, "We're following a basic standard of English, don't mean to offend but we've got other shit to focus on."
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 261x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 261x382
>>48191251
>>48191251
Seriously?

Yes. The creator's confidence and commitment to their intended vision is more important to me then what you or I personally consider to be mature or in good taste.

I my consider Andres Serrano to be an talentless edge lord, but I would still criticise him if he took his Christ out of piss.
>>
If you have a problem with 'he' being used for everyone you are probably just an asshole pushing an ideology.

Nobody worth gaming with would get offended by the use of 'he' or kick up a fuss over it.
>>
>>48191849
Okay that's a reasonable argument okay what you say makes sense. I do think some potential criticisms of the best just left underdressed.

Again with everything rape example, a forword explaining that yes the fiction in the module concerns several examples of sexual violence and why are they believe it's necessary for the setting to include, is it probably a good idea.

They know it's probably going to create some controversy, so they only have something to gain if they tackle it out front.

The use of generic pronounce is however, isaccepted part of the English vernacular.

So as >>48191873 noted, the people complaining about that sort of are just using you to push a certain agenda. Addressing the 'issue' here just serves to give them oxygen.
>>
Personally my biggest issue with the rape for shock value was never that it was "icky" or anything. It's that it existed SOLELY for cheap shock value. It cheapens the whole thing when, instead of Innsmouth-style collaborator-cultists intentionally breeding with the enemies of man, there's just rape camps to produce their army. It actively makes the horror element of the setting WEAKER.
>>
File: 1454164030375.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454164030375.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>48184823
>English language trying into gender
>>
>>48190044
3 dice could be between 2 and 30, you mean. Five could be between 4 and 50.

3 dice: 1, 1, 2
5 dice: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2
>>
>>48188748
Pathfinder exists and the only reason people lose their shit about it is because it's shit.
>>
File: VF-0 Phoenix in a climb.jpg (469 KB, 650x800) Image search: [Google]
VF-0 Phoenix in a climb.jpg
469 KB, 650x800
>>48188845
>Book 2 will be about robots
Will I finally be able to get the element of Macross that they SHOULD have given us from day 1?
Seriously guys, you include Zentraedi knock-offs, but no not-Valkyries? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>48184823
It would be more based if it didn't even have this disclaimer in it. I realize paragraphs like this have been appearing it books since the 70s but if there's one thing I'd rather not see again in my life it's a trigger warning.
>>
>>48191873
I'm not "offended" by it, I just think it's incorrect and stupid. If you're referring to a group with both males and females, there are gender-neutral pronouns for that. And desu, the use of "he" as a universal pronoun is itself pushing an ideology, that of male being the "default" gender.
>>
>>48191767
Anon, did you even read what you linked?

>>48191849
Except that it's not. It was trying to create a shitstorm. Clearly I'm not defanged, and I'd have cared less if they hadn't gone with the whole "we don't care about political correctness so suck on that" route.

>>48191864
Anon, are you seriously telling me that never once in your entire life have you looked back on an action you took in the past and thought to yourself "I wish I could go back in time and slap that little shit"? You have not at all done anything that in retrospect you found childish and stupid? You've never felt cringe when remembering the things you did when you were younger or in a different place in life?
If you honestly believe that maturing as a person and taking a different stance on something is "just coming across as a backpedalling cuck who lost his balls", then I think that you've honestly spent far too much time on /pol/ or /adv/ or /r9k/ and you seriously need to get out more. And considering I 100% will not believe you if you answered those above questions negatively, I'd also see you as a hypocrite.

>>48191873
>Ideology is only okay if it's MY ideology
Using "he" instead of they, or switching pronouns occasionally, is pushing an ideology. It just happens to be one that you're fine with. In fact, you making that post is pushing an ideology. Me, right now? I'm pushing an ideology, but at least I'm admitting it.
>>
>/tg/ - Tumblr Games
>>
>>48192089
>So as >>48191873 noted, the people complaining about that sort of are just using you to push a certain agenda. Addressing the 'issue' here just serves to give them oxygen.
But that poster is also pushing an agenda.

>>48192495
Pathfinder uses male pronouns for classes with male iconics, female pronouns for female iconics. Also, Vampire the Masquerade had people complaining about its use of female pronouns, so yes, people do lose their goddamned minds over this.
>>
File: Drink Up.png (125 KB, 400x700) Image search: [Google]
Drink Up.png
125 KB, 400x700
>>48193102
>I'd have cared less if they hadn't gone with the whole "we don't care about political correctness so suck on that" route.

No, anon, from the way you bitch about the use of 'he' exclusively, you'd still have a problem with it if they just said that they were using male pronouns because they think switching is strange and counterintuitive for readers. You're just asspained that the developers pointed out that getting worked up about it is pointless, because they had a good reason to do so. Literally everyone else in this thread is able to understand what the paragraph was for, leaving you as the one keyboard warrior flailing around for something to be upset about.
>>
>>48192883
>>48193102
That is not an 'ideology'. its just how English has always worked. It has nothing to do with marginalising women and only ignorant political extremists would imply otherwise.
>>
>>48193464
But anon, that's wrong. I didn't care when I actually read CthulhuTech the first time, because I skipped to the character creation. It wasn't until seeing the sidebar and how the developer acted that it annoyed me. They also didn't have good reason to do it. They had the most childish reason possibly to do it. They basically claimed they were too stupid, then played the "we're too cool for political correctness" card.

>>48193515
But you have literally been shown evidence that you are factually incorrect. Singular They was replaced by gender neutral he. That is entirely an ideological stance, and would be regardless of which came first. Even then, the fact that "he" was considered the gender neutral pronoun is why it was marginalizing. Do you even know what the word "marginalize" means? Being unconcerned with a particular group's inclusion is marginalizing.

You are comfortable with ideologies that conform to your own. You even fail to see how they're ideological.
>>
>>48194017
I would shake your hand.
>>
File: Dagon Rape.jpg (155 KB, 1061x632) Image search: [Google]
Dagon Rape.jpg
155 KB, 1061x632
>>48185038
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech/

>>48188795
>Nah, no one really cared about that back then. They're crappy writers.
Oh yes, and worse researchers, with that shit about catholic region somehow vanishing (despite being the one christian institution which acknowledges alien life, evolution and Big Bang), and super powerful space suits somehow worrying about cold in space, instead of overheating.
>>
>learn and respect my pronouns!

nah
>>
>>48187379

http://www.americandialect.org/2015-word-of-the-year-is-singular-they

It's been kind of informally official or at least sanctioned for at least a year.

I put more faith in the decision of these guys more than Oxford. Oxford's Word of the Year for 2015, the same year, was the laughing-with-tears-in-eye emoji.
>>
>>48194903
>Oxford's Word of the Year for 2015, the same year, was the laughing-with-tears-in-eye emoji.
So? Hitler was Time's Person of the Year.
Dictionaries don't say what is or isn't a word, anon. They just tell you what words are. They don't (well, shouldn't) make value judgements on what is or isn't a word. This is why "ain't" is in dictionaries despite English teachers who will claim it isn't a word.

Dictionaries don't create definitions, they list them. They're descriptive, not prescriptive. I think Singular They is a better Word of the Year, but the emoji as word of the year isn't unwarranted. Likewise, you can't really "officially sanction" things as words.

Keep in mind, I say this as someone who approves of Singular They and will browbeat people who say it's improper. But at the same time, sites like that are saying how people use a word, not delivering dictates on high.
>>
>>48191873
>Ideology is only okay if it's MY ideology
>Using "he" instead of they, or switching pronouns occasionally, is pushing an ideology. It just happens to be one that you're fine with. In fact, you making that post is pushing an ideology. Me, right now? I'm pushing an ideology, but at least I'm admitting it.

Okay I know you're trolling now,
>>
>>48193134
Yes but is it his agenda is preserving the status quo. Which means yours is intentionally spreading social dissidents and civil and unrest, you commie.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.