[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bard Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Can bards use magic items as a bardic focus? Specifically the Pipes of Haunting.
>>
What, exactly, is a "bardic focus"?
>>
>>48180478
Spellcasting focus for bards, you know what I meant.
>>
But yeah In the SRD it says any instrument a bard is proficient in they can use as a focus, and my bard is proficient in wind instruments.

But I'm wondering if playing the pipes automatically casts the fear spell or if the bard has to activate the item. If the bard can play the pipes without casting the fear spell, could he use it to cast other spells of his own?

This is important to me since my bard's side instrument was lost and his main instrument is a bit unwieldy, so having access to a spellcasting focus while in a tight spot could make or break a future encounter.
>>
>>48180357
at higher levels it would be a viable option
>>
>>48180701
I personally rule that magical items which are instruments have a trigger song or tune instead of a trigger phrase so I'd allow regular spellcasting.
>>
>>48180814
Why at higher levels?
>>
>>48180866
Hmm, well since they're pipes, you dont sing or say any trigger words. It just says "You can use an action to play them and expend 1 charge to create an eerie, spellbinding tune. Each creature within 30 feet of you that hears you play must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw" . Which means that all thats needed to activate them is to play them, but it also seems to imply you need to willfully activate it.

Sorry I'm being so picky, i have to convince this to my DM who already has me on thin ice for changing my character so much. (tried to implement a "plot point" mechanic that failed).
>>
Do bards need to keep playing music to keep up a concentration spell?

If so, does that mean learning Pass Without Trace with magical secrets is backwards as fuck?
>>
File: Doof-Warrior.jpg (407 KB, 687x551) Image search: [Google]
Doof-Warrior.jpg
407 KB, 687x551
How can I convince my DM to give me an electric guitar?
Right now were in a technologically advanced city with a bunch of tinkerers doing experiments and shit, think Gnomeregan.
>>
What are the best spells to get for Magical Secrets?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.