[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So which system would you recommend for someone who wants a game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
So which system would you recommend for someone who wants a game with a Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre feeling to it? Could be one that does the political stuff right, or the tactical combat stuff right, or whatever you think fits a setting like it.
>>
D&D 4e or Strike! would work for something with a tactical combat focus. Fuck, Savage Worlds does tactical combat extremely well too, if you don't mind it being a bit more low-key and lethal.
>>
>>48178578
Those figures creep me out. Why do they have such weak cores and so powerful limbs?
>>
>>48178631
I didn't know about Strike! I've been looking into Savage Worlds and it seems really nice for tactical combat, so I may well go with that. Thanks for the recommendation.

>>48178736
I don't know why they chose to make the characters that way, it's pretty odd indeed.
>>
>>48178578
Definitely 4E, this is really where the game shines, as it offers a DM plenty of freedom for political stuff while giving the players a very tactical combat system that is perfectly designed for teamwork and companionship being major ideas.
>>
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplay System is very crunchy, but has good rules for politics, intrigue and large battles with hundreds or thousands of men. All you need is to tack on some more efficient magic.

King Arthur Pendragon also has skirmish and intrigue rules, and hits a good balance between gritty dark fantasy and more idealistic characters. I actually prefer it to ASoIaF roleplay, and feel it would fit better to FFT because it counts emotions and character bonds into its combat rules.
>>
>>48178915
I've considered 4E, but I'm really looking forward into trying a different system. Thanks for the suggestion though.

>>48179018
Thanks a bunch, Pendragon really looks like it's worth reading.
>>
>>48178736
>>48178890
Not "they", he.
This one artist works with Yasumi Matsuno almost exclusively; he did character designs for Final Fantasy Tactics, the Ogre Battle games, Vandal Hearts, and Final Fantasy 12.
His art style is kinda odd; he either does these simplified and fairly emotionless and noseless faces with extremely detailed clothing but a uniform body type or these hyper-realistic facial features.

Note how FF12's characters rather then looking like semi-real Anime bishounen people have pretty people in the game but generally only among younger characters and characters that are directly related actually share facial features rather then look alike because of generic anime face issues like say...the Dead or Alive games used to do.
>>
>>48178578
4e for tacticool tactics
>>
File: 1290221640412.jpg (325 KB, 700x768) Image search: [Google]
1290221640412.jpg
325 KB, 700x768
>>48178578
>Could be one that does the political stuff right, or the tactical combat stuff right, or whatever you think fits a setting like it.
Keep in mind that FFT and TO don't have any mechanics to the politics or storyline. None of the conflicts have a failure state, you just win or reload (and eventually win).

Regardless of what system you decide on, this will be the biggest obstacle for the GM to overcome. Unlike with CRPGs, you need to account for and allow your players to fail and survive failing, without it simply being the end of the campaign.

This might seem super basic, but it is extremely easy to overlook when adapting the style of a CRPG.

Now that I've said that, here's my FFT hot take: Delita is a cool and heroic character, and he got exactly what he deserved.
>>
>>48181726
Yep, I'll try to think of possibilities when I can. I'm hoping to create an environment where elaborate player conspiracies are possible, though that may be too idealistic to achieve. I guess I'll have to lend a helping hand every now and then, but I don't want players to feel like I'm controlling everything either.
>>
>>48178631
Seconding this.

Savage Worlds combat isn't much like either of the games mentioned. If you decide on using it, however, grab savage armory at least, and probably homebrew a bit so ranged!>>>>melee.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.