[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does your mom feel about your tabletop habits?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: Dark Horse 2.png (678 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Dark Horse 2.png
678 KB, 853x480
How does your mom feel about your tabletop habits?
>>
>>48178416
She's happy that I have friends, and that I'm not doing anything stupid or wasteful.
>>
>>48178416
hates it. but women here think that anything that doesn't have to do with either church, work or school after the age of 5 is bad. So it is normal.
>>
I pay bills with it. Mom read chick tracts, but those opinions can go to hell like I will
>>
>>48178416
She doesn't even know.
Only ever played online.
>>
>>48178416
She died before I got into it.

I'm sure she would have been indifferent or even supportive, unless she was drunk and wanted to yell about something.
>>
"So cute, those little monitos"

She had a curio case of little turtle things and says I should get a curio case to put my minis in.
>>
>>48178416
My parents met through tabletop.

"Find a gaming group" was one of their first suggestions for how I could develop a social life. (Not much luck yet on that front, but I'm at least living on my own and not being a NEET anymore.)
>>
>>48178416
She doesn't know what that is and doesn't care to and she would prefer I spend more time watching TV instead of wasting it on those stupid expensive games, which are far cheaper than her smoking and gambling habits.
>>
>>48178416
She loves all kinds of fantasy shit and the stuff I create for my GMing session like maps and character art.

My dad is a huge Starship Troopers fan so he really enjoys Warhammer 40k, he also likes building/painting miniatures
>>
Doesn't care. Wants to play but has no imagination at all.
>>
Childish wasteful 'PLAYING' which she uses as an insult constantly. I don't play them at home accordingly. She'd want the table cleared before a decent game could get finished.

She loves me really she just shows effection in a sort sarcastically negative way and she takes her stress out on me because I chill in my room when she's rushing around. I live at home at 25 and got fired a few weeks ago they have every right to hate on me.
>>
>>48178416
It got me out the house and making friends, so shes happy with it.
>>
>>48178460
>tabletop gaming
>not wasteful
>>
>>48178416
>How does your mom feel about your tabletop habits?

She lives 4000 miles away. It doesn't come up.
>>
>>48179164
God, second generation nerds are he worst. I feel so bad for you guys. You never had a chance.
>>
>>48181196
Literally wastes nothing.

>smoking
>gambling
>drinking
>drugs

Wasteful of money, and stupid in the long term.
>>
>>48178842
Mr Raggi, is that you?
>>
>>48178416
She thought it was cute. She used to walk in on Skype calls and try to say hi to everyone. I'd offer to put them on speaker so she could talk to them, but she didn't want to be a bother.

Gotta love your Mama.
>>
>>48178416
She says that "it's nice that you are being creative, and anything is better than doing drugs at least"

Haven't told her about being a recovering addict
>>
>>48181196
I play tabletop RPGs. I definitely see the argument for miniatures-collecting and wargames being costly though.

Basically what this guy said>>48181285.

It's not going to get me addicted to anything, arrested, or put in the hospital. It's helped me find a reliable friend-group, gets me out of the house, and doesn't cost a lot of money.
>>
"At least he's not drinking alone in the basement anymore."
>>
>>48182759
Right. Now I just drink alone in the basement while talking to the computer.
>>
>>48178416
That movie was rough
>>
>>48178416
She doesn't really get it. I'm into a lot of stuff she doesn't really get, but it's just one of my hobbies. Whenever she asks why I have so much tabletop related shit I just say it's like guys who are into cars or baseball with their parts and merch and stuff.
>>
>>48181285
Are you honestly retarded? Tabletop is a huge waste of money. Even if you pirate everything like a complete freeloading poorfag, it's still a complete waste of time. Take your "hurr durr at least I'm not a terrorist" argument & go away.
>>
>>48181196
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
>>
>>48178416

She is fascinated that such a handsome guy like me is into such nerdy games.
>>
>>48178416
Dead. When alive I feel like she just missed the opportunity to join TTRPG by being born a decade too early. My Grandmother actually read into the whole 1980s D&D IS TEH STANS stuff but was fairly easily to explain that it's just really sad and nerdy bullshit.
>>
>>48178416
SHe's glad I interact with people in a way that doesn't involve drugs or illegal activity. Alcoholism runs in the family, y'see.

She doesn't get it at all, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 752x1063
>>48185655

I have spent a few hundred bucks on Tabletop gaming supplies. Considering the number of hours I have played, it really isn't expensive at all. I have spent hundreds of dollars over the years on going to the movies and many times the movie is crap! At least with RPGs you can always return to them with no further cost.
>>
She got me into it when I was 6. We swap stories sometimes.
>>
File: keks had.gif (2 MB, 332x215) Image search: [Google]
keks had.gif
2 MB, 332x215
>>48186179
>>
>>48185862
Alternative, less polite answer:
It's called a hobby you fucking mongoloid. All hobbies take time, all hobbies take money. It's not surprising that your hobby takes time and money. If you spend too much of either or both that's a problem with your planning and decision making.
>>
>>48186537
I've seen him, he really is very handsome
>>
I'm in my 30s and my mom has a drug problem. She has no idea where I live and it will stay that way.
>>
>>48188403
:(
has she tried and failed rehab?
>>
>>48178416
She's dead, but I would not be surprised if I found out she played D&D in college. She definitely read a fuckton of fantasy novels
>>
>>48185655
>made an own system
>got dungeon tiles and miniatures from other family members / friends
>spend less than 50€ for a 100 d10 and other dice
>20€ for folders , paper , pens etc

we have been playing for 6years now , and that is far less money than my parents spent on alcohol and tabacco in a month
>>
>>48185655
>having fun is a waste of time

what other purpose would have working for money other than satisfying your physical and psychological needs?
>>
>>48178416
She thinks it's good that I have a creative hobby that gets me out of the house. She doesn't really understand it and isn't interested in it herself, but I appreciate how supportive she is of it.
>>
>>48188403
Same here, man. I'm 25 and my mom's an addict. Maybe was? I don't really know, at this point she's ran out of chances and I don't really care.

And pro tip to anyone reading this: if you struggle with any mood disorders, try to avoid drugs. Turns out it can develop into full-on psychosis. When I was 8 I watched my mom have what might delicately be called an 'episode' because she developed paranoid schizophrenia. Don't do that to your friends and family, and don't do that to yourself.
>>
>>48178416
She's a bit upset at it, says it takes up too much of my time that i could use having sex with her
>>
>>48178416
My mom is Lisa Ann tier, I don't like being around her, makes me uncomfortable
>>
>>48178416
I'm not inviting her back after she tried seducing my girlfriend in game.
>>
>>48178416
She's a nerdy type herself and whenever the subject is raised I can tell she's interested in playing, but I'm just not gonna game with my mom.
>>
>>48185655

>Fun and/or pleasure is a waste of time

What do you live for, you pantagruelic stakanovist cunt?
>>
>>48181285
xXx preach it brotha xXx
>>
>>48178416
Ma thinks it's good that my main hobby takes a bit of thinking and creativity while encouraging me to have friends, paid for it when I was too young for my own career to do it for me and made sure I always had a table ready for the weekly game when I was at home.
>>
>>48178416
She likes it. She even enjoys some of the stories I tell her when the subject comes up.
>>
File: 1460722059058.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1460722059058.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
>>48190722
I smell storytime.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 658x370
>>48185655
>>
>>48185655
If we're going by the "any time not spent earning a profit is wasting time" model, sure, but I'm not an overwhelming faggot so I don't really judge life on that principle.
>>
>>48178416
I never had anyone to play with back home and just read the books. She actually thought it was a hobby I'd grow out of when I went to university.
Moved just 50 miles away to for uni, found a couple of groups and a LARP, and a girlfriend that encourages my hobby. Mum's absolutely livid. Every time I go home every other sentence is either how I need to grow up or dump my girlfriend, so I don't go home often anymore.
>>
>>48190781
>preach it brotha
>>>/ghetto/
>>
>>48181196
Better than drugs
>>
>>48185655
Puritanfags please go
>>
>>48186647
>spend too much
define too much, gaylord
>>
>>48178416
She like's that I have a creative outlet, but wishes I could focus that creativity on something profitable.

She basically wants me to compile my ttrpg worldbuilding stuff and commit to a novella or something.
>>
>>48185655
I get 1 day off a week. Sometimes I have to work through that day.

On my day off I am not going to work.

I will do what I want including tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>48188479
No, worse. She "doesn't have a problem" it's "everyone else" who has a problem. Because it's prescription drugs. So therefore "no side-effects" and "never" bad for you. :/

>>48189271
This sounds familiar. (ell o ell familiar I made a pun) Anyway you may be my little brother.
>>
>>48190828
She rolled a backstabbing thief who tried to seduce my girlfriend playing a paladin in order to get her hands on his shining armour.

I frankly had to stop GMing when some of the descriptions started coming out got too explicit.
>>
File: mentlegen.png (121 KB, 553x585) Image search: [Google]
mentlegen.png
121 KB, 553x585
>>48185655
>>
>>48191497
>Anyway you may be my little brother.
Eh, not really likely. Is your name Dan, and are you a workaholic?
>>
>>48190993
To the point where it palpably harms the rest of your life or where you more often than not have buyer's remorse.
Learn to budget and think a bit on how much you want to spend on your hobbies, maybe think more about what you'll get out of a purchase, and you're fine.

Just think about how much your put into /tg/ hobbies next to other, more broadly respected hobbies. If it seems like you're spending a lot more than that, maybe dial it back a bit.
>>
>>48191580
> tried to seduce my girlfriend

Please tell me you meant your girlfriend's character or this is just going to get weird.
>>
File: 1404252953211.jpg (1 MB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
1404252953211.jpg
1 MB, 744x1052
>>48178498
Man, this always brings me down.
I was raised in a super-christian household and taught that paladins and clerics are awesome to play as.
All these "D&D is the Devil's game!" Prudes have never opened the damn book and just sicken me.
I heard from one anon a few months ago that his parents would throw out Tolkien's works, which is absolutely retarded, given he is one of the greatest Christian role-models of the modern age.
>>
She's quite happy that I have a social life and regularly meet my friends. I also introduced my manager at work to board games and got him into my tabletop group. Funnily enough I got promoted the about 4 months after that.
>>
She didd before I got into it, but I think she'd probably be indifferent-to-negative about it, maybe.

She always said she was proud of how creative I was though, so maybe she'd like that I mostly GM.
>>
She makes fun of me and bitches that I spend too much money on it despite the fact that I spend ~$20 a month on it. But she's one of those "if you're not spending every second of your life making money you're wasting it" types. We have a strained relationship.
>>
>>48192516
I am and have always been Catholic.

I was raised on Tolkien.

The animated film is the first film I can remember watching. Still got the VHS.
>>
She's more into tabletop than I am, and we often end up playing together. Kind of sucks sometimes because she's a bit of a perv and can get into ERP.
>>
>>48193101
Oh my.
Have any stories?
>>
>>48193133
Only embarrassing ones.
>>
>>48193246
Looks like its storytime.
>>
>>48193338

Too bad storytime is only interesting when true.
>>
>>48183850
What is so rough about it?
>>
>>48178416
I'm an adult, why does it matter what she thinks about it?
>>
>>48181144
True. You are basically a drain on them, and all of society really.
>>
she finds it a very good thing, she likes the fact that it's a safe group activity that works entirely on creativity
>>
>>48185655
Why are you even on this board?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.