[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5e Modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: D20_Modern_Book_Cover.jpg (44 KB, 340x475) Image search: [Google]
D20_Modern_Book_Cover.jpg
44 KB, 340x475
I've been thinking of how one would go about creating a D20 Modern system using 5e. Because Why not? This is only Speculation, but here's what I've gotten so far:

Skills, Proficiency, Hit Points and AC remain the same mechanically, with Tech replacing Arcana.

The Race system doesn't really make sense in Modern, so I found this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

Instead of giving players races, they instead use 5-6 Aptitude points to purchase features and background traits from a list, letting them customize.

I'm thinking we do away with Classes altogether, and instead give players Feature Allotment. Instead of choosing a particular Class, you instead receive a certain number of points that you spend to select from a list of Class Features. At Character Creation, you would use points to purchase features like Weapon Proficiency, Size of Hit Die, and base class features. Features are chosen from specific Tiers, starting from 1 and going to 10. As Players level up, the number of Points they have in each Tier increases. This system would be similar to Spell Slots in 5E, so at level 3 Players might receive Tier 2 Points and access to Tier 2 Features, 5th Level would get Tier 3, etc. Meanwhile, they're still getting more Tier 1 points, which they use to purchase new features, or upgrade their current ones, like the FF Star Wars games. The overall goal of this is to spread the choice of features out so no class is favored over the other simply because they get Gun skills and Features.

5e is too Dependant on using Magic, so removing that creates a sort of vacuum. That's why I've opted to go for a mechanic similar to the Mystic class where you channel points into certain skills in order to compound the effects, building on the ability to pick from several different features. Certain features or feats allow you to increase these points, or decrease the cost of certain abilitiy types.

What do you think?
>>
It's a terrible fucking idea just like it was when WotC tried it, that's what I think
>>
>>48177890
My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>48177890
I agree.
>>
>>48177839
It's not a very good idea because a system should fit the conceit of what it's trying to portray. D&D systems portray (usually not very well) social class structures that fit its setting, which is why D20 modern didn't work very well.

I'd use a different system for modern-esque games that aren't so heavily combat focused. Chronicles of Darkness (the rebranded nWoD) is okay (if a bit mechanically wonky), GURPS is manageable, as are plenty of other systems.
>>
>>48178028
>Chronicles of Derpness
>not based nWoD 1e with combat that isn't retarded
kek
>>
>>48178086
>Combat that isn't retarded
>Because accuracy/damage
Chronicles of Darkness is in every way better than 1e. At best, it takes some getting used to. At worst it just relies on minor tweaks.
I'm assuming that your main complaint is that Defense is now meaningful and hard to get passed, as opposed to completely pointless. The hack I always suggest is using the lower of Athletics or Brawl, instead of just Athletics.

If you're playing WoD for the combat, though, you might as well be playing D20 Modern.
>>
>>48178118
>accuracy = damage wasn't fixed in Armory Reloaded
No, my main complaint is smacking someone around with a bat is just as deadly as shoving a knife into their arteries, but that just adds to the stupidity.

Also
>implying a properly houseruled Werewolf game doesn't have kickass combat
>>
>>48178118
Third party here. I like WoDs combat.

Also while the defense thing is annoying it encourages players to fight smart and try to go for tilts and stuff, or to fight their enemy in a way that they're disadvantaged.

And baseball bats are deadly so fuck it, all lethal.
>>
>>48178286
>Tilts
I fucking hate these too. It's a Fate-esque codification of something that should just be a logical consequence of x action. If I wanted that I'd just play Fate, because god damn I love Fate.

And seriously? It takes a lot of force in the right place to deal damage with a blunt object. nWoD having bashing damage roll up into lethal as you shatter bone and pound more vital parts worked well enough for that, in my opinion.

Not that it matters, Onyx Path have just gotten worse over time.
>>
>>48178360
But they added those in Danse Macabre
>>
>>48178494
And they sucked there too, the Brides of Dracula are one of the only good parts about it
>>
>>48178138
>>48178360
"It was in Armory Reloaded" doesn't mean anything. It's now standard because it makes much more sense that way.

>baseball bats
Yes. They're lethal. And? I honestly don't understand why that bothers people so much. If you beat someone with a baseball bat, they are going to be in substantial pain. In 1e, you beat someone with a baseball bat and you beat them and you beat them again and you beat them again and they heal up in two hours time and don't have any consequences.
If anything, 2e isn't lethal enough for me. I think healing times should be extended and there should be more Persistent Conditions for longlasting damage and scars.
If you're fine using combat hacks and houserules, why not just... houserule that? Seriously if your argument is that you want some weapons to be arbitrarily weaker--Maces! Maces doing less damage than swords!--then just fucking change that.

>Tilts (though I assume you mean Conditions)
Almost every game has some kind of codified status effects. That people are so against them doesn't even make sense to me. Specifically BECAUSE they're mostly just the logical consequence of X action.

>implying a properly houseruled Werewolf game doesn't have kickass combat
Werewolf 1e has without a doubt the worst combat of any gameline.

>Not that it matters, Onyx Path have just gotten worse over time.
Lemme guess, you're afraid of the big bad SJW boogeyman?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.