[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to GMing, thinking of starting a group with some of my friends.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
New to GMing, thinking of starting a group with some of my friends. They are all new to the tabletop RPG experience, so I was wondering which would be best for them. If you have any opinions or suggestions for other games, please share them.
>>
>>48173779
5e
>>
>>48173779
Depends on your group's needs. Savage Worlds seemed to have worked for the beginner groups I played with pretty well. So did FAE, though that one needs a bit of explaining.

If they want to start with D&D, there are quite a few options.

5e is the most popular, you'll find lots of help with that.

Dungeon World is simple, fast, and whatever else you decide on you should read the DM-ing guide part.

If your players like a bit of tactics and complexity for combat, 4e could work, but you'll probably have to pirate everything.

There's a bunch of other more indie systems I like, but these are the big ones.
>>
>>48173779
5e
It has an excellent starter set
The rules are sophisticated enough for a skilled GM to like, simple enough for a newb to easily get the hang of.
>>
>>48174109
Though I do use the hell out of Pathfinder pawns and flip maps. I bought the Pathfinder book on Intrigue looking for inspiration, instead I found a gorillion archetypes and detailed mechanics for EVERY FUCKING THING, including looking for a clue in a library.

Pathfinder is for splatbook munchkins and chart-obsessives.
>>
>>48174122
Seriously; the fucking library has "Hit Points" and you roll to do "damage" to get info out of them, with variable damage based on your class, and possibly sub-class.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>48174134
>>48174122
Some kind of gamist approach for getting info out of a library (when you don't know what exactly you are looking for) would be welcome, but that sounds dreadful.
>>
>>48174221
The concept wasn't terrible - basically using multiple rolls to overcome an encounter like combat is overcome with teamwork and multiple rolls.

The problem is their combat sucks and they modeled it after their combat.
>>
Of those two, 5e. It's not even a question, PF(and 3.x in general) is among the worst possible systems for introducing anyone to TTRPGs.
>>
Whatever you do, don't play 5e. It's a joke of a system.
>>
Beyond the Wall; sure it's OSR, but it's fairly light on rules and the character playbooks walk you through character creation, it creates a (fairly barebones) setting for you during character creation, and with the scenario packs it's fairly light for new GMs as well.

IMO it suffers a little for sticking with race-as-class and the original saves, but at least there's an optional rule for Fortitude/Reflex/Will saves, and otherwise it's a very good game.
>>
>>48177931
Suggest an alternative, please.
>>
>>48173779
5e is much simpler and only has a couple books.

Pf has more flexibility, but also more trap options to avoid, and therefore has a stepper learning curve. Though there are character building guides that make that easy and explain why options are good or bad. Additionally, all the character options for pathfinder are on a couple of searchable websites, meaning you can easily play pathfinder without books or even PDFs.

TL;dr: 5e is simpler. Pf has far more options and much better online tools, for free no less.
>>
>>48181900
If you specifically need a d20 game, my advice would be d20 Conan or fantasycraft.
>>
>>48183046
That is, as a fairly easy d20 game to play/run.
>>
>>48179367
Not OP, got a download source for Beyond the Wall?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.