[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1467360383564.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1467360383564.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Last thread
>>48054873
>>
File: Screaming.jpg (90 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
Screaming.jpg
90 KB, 500x371
One of the PC's died, now he's rerolling a cryptek. On a scale of 1 to HELP, how worried should we all be?
>>
>>48169435
>One of the PC's died, now he's rerolling a cryptek. On a scale of 1 to HELP, how worried should we all be?
whatswrongwithyourGM.jpg
>>
I know /tg/ has made homebrew sectors before, but how many were in the Ultima Segmentum (the right side of the galaxy)? I know Tiji and Vasenica were, but were there any more?
>>
Do bolt weapons with the metal storm rounds make each hit count as 2 hits or 3 hits against hordes?
>>
>>48169889

There was the Cocytyus Sector (which a few anons made but never really expanded on) and the Aprior Sector (shit. We do not talk about Aprior).
>>
>>48170635
4. initial, blast (2), explosive. storm of iron brings that to 8
>>
>>48170635

Four hits.

One hit base, one hit for being explosive, and two hits for Blast (2). Four total.

Metal Storm rounds in a heavy bolter invalidate hordes as a mechanic, especially when you add Storm of Iron.
>>
>>48170663
>>48170676
Since we're talking about Deathwatch stuff, when taking and upgrading the signature wargear talents, should I take a relic (assuming it is appropriate for the character) or just upgrade normal items?
>>
>>48170765
depends on the relic, some are great, others are garbage.

the single best relic is the Redemption of St. Sulech, as it is basically the pre-errata heavy bolter, and when combined with a suspensor and/or vengeance rounds is pretty much matchless in its ability to fuck anything up.
>>
>>48170765

If there's a relic that lets you do your job better, always select a relic. If there isn't, use it to get gear that will branch you out. A storm bolter is always a safe and effective choice, as are defense fields like combat shields.
>>
>>48170782
>>48170855
Are there any relics that look good on paper but don't actually preform as well as hoped?
>>
>>48171015

Most of the relics do have a point and purpose, if only in certain contrived situations.

Except the Corroded Falchion. There is literally no reason for that thing to exist.
>>
So random question here regarding deathwatch.
The game says you can use the servo-arm to attack as reaction. But the game doesn't actually say WHEN you can actually do that.
the only examples it gives are parrying and dodging.
Does that mean that to attack with the servo arm I would have to wait for someone to actually hurt me in close combat to attack with it?
>>
>>48171062
You spend your reaction during your turn to hit someone in the face with it.
>>
>>48171107
Is that written anywhere though? I'm just curious because I've heard people say that, but I've never actually seen any rules justification for it acting that way.
>>
File: Punch through the head.gif (15 KB, 266x400) Image search: [Google]
Punch through the head.gif
15 KB, 266x400
>>48171107

Technically, you cannot spend a reaction on your turn. You can only ever spend it on an opponent's turn. This is why things like Counter Attack are so good - since the counter happens on the opponent's turn, the opponent cannot parry it.

Therefore, >>48171062 is in the technical correct. You can only use the servo arm as a reaction to an enemy already attacking you. Someone attacks, you reaction to use the servo arm, and basically hope your punch kills the target before its attack resolves.
>>
Another question, as far as I can tell bionic locomotion replaces both legs, but does it still count as one cybernetic or 2?

I'm just trying to figure out if I have another Cybernetic to work with here while I'm working on my character or not.
Just curious what most people think, I'd ask my GM but he take days to get back to me, and I'd rather hear what other people say about it before I bother him
>>
>>48171223

Bionic Locomotion depends on how many legs you replace. It's meant for limb loss and replacement limbs.
>>
>>48171257
I'm still at character creation senpai. So I'm asking, just plain crunch, my character is a black void, does bionic locomotion count as 1 or 2 cybernetics. My brain tells me it's 2 but the rules seem to imply it's one as it says it replaces a characters "legs" and not their "leg" Where as the arms are very clear to only apply to one.
Like, why would only one leg give you jumping bonuses and sprint when you still have a normal leg dragging it down?
>>
>>48171323
It's made even more confusing because it says "legs, etc" implying it could be something other than the legs themselves.

I'm just trying to determine if my character has 3 or 4 cybernetics at this point.
>>
>>48171323

It's a murky area. While the description describes both legs replaced for one bionic (The bionic implies you can change for robo-legs, tank treads, wooden planks, etc), the cost in Requisition Points for a single Locomotion system is equal to the cost for a single arm replacement, implying it's for a single leg. No errata or FAQ seems to cover this. You will need to ask your GM on his interpretation. The conservative answer would be "You need two locomotions, one for each leg."

Also, it is possible to favor one leg, gaining the bonus from one and merely using the other for support.
>>
File: cdd8e20cc9f0cc5d831347593aa723cc.png (1002 KB, 1269x846) Image search: [Google]
cdd8e20cc9f0cc5d831347593aa723cc.png
1002 KB, 1269x846
>>48171410
So I took the Entries from every single 40k rpg
All but DW seem to heavily imply that it is a single cybernetic with all the games that game after DW being very clear in saying "Bionic LEGS"
So just, with all this here together what do you think.
Cause even though it might not seem right it looks like rules as intended is that it is a single cybernetic.
>>
>>48171603
Like, to be clear the way I see this is that in DH and RT the implication is that almost everything from the waist down has been replaced. DW gets a bit vague, and everything every very clearly states that the legs are replaced.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (30 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
30 KB, 500x463
>>48171603
>>48171626

From a RAW perspective, yes. It is one cybernetic. You can use the example of Skitarii Dunestrider legs as a basis.

From a RAI perspective, and how I run it, I think it's on a perspective. where you need one leg replaced, while the other is fine. The text is just meant to explain that there are slightly more reinforcements required to properly get a bionic leg working. This is ESPECIALLY since if you only replace one leg and need to know where the extra TB is placed.

It is a question your GM must answer.
>>
Just a quick question. I am going to be req some stuff and I was wondering if you could get an arm mounted shotgun with the chainblade attachment for deathwatch.
>>
>>48172210
No, only pistol or auxiliary grenade launcher.
>>
>>48172250
But it says upgrades: Las, Solid Projectile, bolt, or melta pistol, or Auxiliary Grenade Launcher in the core rule-book. Is there an update somewhere which limits it to just pitol and launchers?
>>
>>48172264
its right there in your quoted text
>Las, Solid projectile, bolt or melta PISTOL. OR aux grenade launcher
caps not for sarcasm, but for emphasis. the period defines the end of the clause, and the restrictions. FFG has at least a slightly better track record than GW for using correct grammar when writing rules cases.
>>
>>48170647
>Cocytyus Sector (which a few anons made but never really expanded on)
I'm legit surprised anyone remembers me talking about Cocytus. I keep meaning to compile that shit into a decent-looking PDF and post it here, but I have no idea how that works. Does anyone here have any hints for how to create a DH or RT-style background for a PDF?
>>
What are the dos and don'ts of Deathwatch?
>>
What are some good non-Mechanicus ideas for Black Crusade Hereteks?
>>
>>48174243
Q'Sal.
>>
>>48173832
Don't let the horde shoot you before you've whittled down their numbers. Even shitboy cultists can mulch a marine if they land a hit and have sufficient magnitude. There's no dodging or parrying their attacks either, so be particularly careful about diving into melee with them. If your GM is lenient they may let you roll dodge against a horde attack while in cover, but don't count on it.
>>
>>48174313
Ok ... but that wouldn't even make an elevator pitch.
>>
File: 1462750258313.jpg (20 KB, 318x307) Image search: [Google]
1462750258313.jpg
20 KB, 318x307
>Apothecary's Create Toxins rule in Deathwatch core says "the Kill-Team's attacks in the next combat all have the Toxic quality"
>all

Does this mean that RAW lets me have a toxic lascannon?
>>
>>48174504
As the only real thing of note in the errata for that ability is it not affecting things with the Undying or Machine trait, yes.
>>
>>48174504
Or plasma gun, yes. I mean if the faggy bdsm elves can make poison lasers, why can't the SPEHS MUHREENS?
>>
>>48174504
How does a lascannon give you attacks in a combat?
>>
>>48172756

Do it faget. Nobody cares if it looks like a FFG book or if it was pasted into word. Just having it out is enough for a critique.
>>
MEGA guy here

I added a little file in the root for newer players, some simple rules they should keep in mind if they want to survive.
>>
>>48175364
Pulling the trigger helps.
>>
Has anyone actually used the Social Combat rules in Tome of Excess? Are they any good?
>>
>>48172756
I'm currently making a little background document for my homebrew sector, and I just slapped a parchment background onto each page.
>>
>>48176261

They are awful. It is roll to mind control.
>>
>>48175487
Nice.
>>
So what are peoples experience with Dark Persuits.
I'm a little concerned about the survival of the group. I'm GMing a four-man group with one minor (but succesfull) job behind them.
The group contains:
a ministorum warrior
a mechanicus sage
A Administratum chirugeon
and an outcast assassin.
They have about 1800 XP each.
>>
>>48175364
DW is not TT. Attacks is not an assault action.
>>
File: 1443117584828.jpg (141 KB, 779x1008) Image search: [Google]
1443117584828.jpg
141 KB, 779x1008
>>48169889
My homebrew sector, Acheron, which is a neighbouring sector to Cocytus mentioned here>>48172756 and part of the same stellar region "The Five Rivers". And also the setting of the Heavy Metal Chivalry campaign.

I have a timeline for the sector in a word document I could convert to PDF if anyone wants to read, though I've got nothing more than scattered notes on planets and such. Because unlike Cocytus-Anon I don't have the discipline (or autism) to write all that shit down coherently.
>>
If we're discussing autism and sector building, I'll post a link below to my sector I've been labouring on.

I've all-but finished an entry for every world (two or three to go I think), and then I'm adding an extra chapter for GM secrets and shit in the setting I don't want my players reading (but everyone else can). I also intend to add a few NPCs for one of my speshul Xeno races that aren't Kaiju and don't fight Imperial Knights in the eastern sub-sector. No siree

>http://www.mediafire.com/download/57akvf7tx0ooizc/Prosperitas_Dossier_11.pdf
>>
>>48181404
>>48181794

It's funny how, ever since the knights were released, everybody's custom sector rushes to put in knights first, often before you have worlds ready.
>>
>>48182044
>everybody's custom sector rushes to put in knights first
I literally didn't think to put a Knight World into mine until I was making a character for >>48181404 's game and realized I wanted him to be an exile from Cocytus. IE, some 3 or so years after Cocytus started to take actual form in my head. I think you're confirmation-biased, friend.
>>
File: image2-sm.jpg (83 KB, 760x614) Image search: [Google]
image2-sm.jpg
83 KB, 760x614
>>48182044
I actually created the sector and the majority of its politics and factions before I considered writing about the Knights. Mostly because I wrote its outlines before the remake of the Knights was released.

That said, Imperial Knights are fucking cool and Knight Houses are influential so they do feature a lot in the Dune-esque politics of Acheron.
>>
File: Chivalry intensifies.jpg (362 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
Chivalry intensifies.jpg
362 KB, 873x627
>>48182152
Cocytus=SAVAGES

CARNAEVS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
So what's the point of a degrees of success system if you have a 50% chance to fail half the time?

40kRPG's do their d100 rolling terribly from what I see. I mean you have a Very Easy test which gives +30. Your average PC has a stat of 31. You got a 39% chance of failing something described as Very Easy. And there's no take 10 equivalent as far as I can see.

CoC seems to handle their d100 system a lot more sanely.
>>
>>48174350

>There's no dodging or parrying their attacks either

Slight caveat - There are certain (very rare and specific) Talents that allow you to Parry or Dodge Horde attacks.
The one I'm sure about is Tyrannic War Strategum: Bulwark, but that's limited to the Ultras Tyrannic War Veterans. If there are others I'm sure they're similarly rare
>>
File: snowflakes_PNG7545.png (194 KB, 2480x2480) Image search: [Google]
snowflakes_PNG7545.png
194 KB, 2480x2480
Of the snowflake knight houses (defined as knights that buck the standard of Northern European Knightly Culture) that exist, which is worse - the not!VampireCounts and not!Celts of the Coronid Deeps, the inbred not!GameofThrones houses of Cocytus, the not!Muslim and not!Hindu houses of Tiji, or perhaps some other house?

What is the most snowflakey knight house you have seen in homebrew or even canon?
>>
>>48182320
>the inbred not!GameofThrones houses of Cocytus,
House. Singular. And the Caernevs are basically Romanians or Serbs packed full of gin and stuck on a forest planet that's in nigh-constant winter. About the only Game of Thrones thing about them is the seasons of their planet being ludicrous. So I'm not sure what would make them snowflakey.
>>
>>48182249

Don't forget that there are other modifiers as well. The positive and negative modifiers cap at ±60, and there can be multiple modifiers.
Taking your example, a PC with Agility 31 may wish to sneak his way past a guard say. The GM's decided that the test is very easy because the Guard's asleep, and the PC's trying to not wake him up. The PC can have +10 or +20 in the Stealth skill, and possibly other modifiers because of background noise or whatever.
All of a sudden that 61 he needed is now 81 or 91.

Crappy example I know but I've been at work all day. The point is that the difficulty modifier isn't mutually exclusive from other modifiers from skills, talents, and circumstances
>>
>>48182405
Yeah I would agree with you if half the tests in the CRB weren't at +0, and that it was possible to start with a skill at a reasonable level. Look at Dark Heresy starting characters, you're barely functioning retards and half will drown in water. Same with Rogue Trader characters, the RT doesn't get Swim till level 6 or 7.

They honestly need to give you like 5ish skills to pick and choose from for free at start so you're not mildly functioning retards.
>>
>>48182461

True enough, I'll admit to that. It's why me and my players prefer the advancement system for OW and BC, you at least get to choose some starting skills.

Swim at least is a basic skill, so you can do it without any exp spend. Okay you'll drown the second something other than basic swimming happens, but still.
>>
>>48182400

Snowflakey means "Anything someone doesn't like" nowadays, anon.
>>
>>48181404
So, I compiled the timeline of Acheron into a pdf. Be gentle /tg/, it's still wip and I've yet to add proper descriptions of the factions and their holdings and famous planets. So a lot if does kinda lack context. Especially the Solar Knights, who I suspect a lot of fa/tg/uys will shit themselves in nerd rage over.
>H-here I go!

>>48181794
Hey I remember you, your shit is cool. Didn't we have a discussion about Knights once?
>>
>>48183149

Regarding the Ghoul Lords resurrecting the dead, the term is Revenant Alchemistry. While terrible and prohibited, it was used by everyone for a bit, to make expendable dudes.
>>
>>48183494
Never seen that term before. From the Horus Heresy era I take it?
>>
>>48183517

Yes. The term is applied to Tech Thrall Adsecularis, a step between servitor and living soldier. While normally just a random dude augmented and mindshattered (NOT lobotomized), the need for more mans caused the resurrection of the dead with Revenant Alchemistry. The Techpriest Auxiliae who monitored these adsecularis were called Lacyraemarta, and could boost their unfeelingness to even greater levels.
>>
Just curious, but would anyone be interested in a 40k/40krpg general discord?
Just might be interesting to have to actually build a community here or something?
>>
>>48183549

What the fuck is a discord
>>
>>48183566
A greater daemon of Tzeentch voiced by John DeLancie.
>>
>>48183566
https://discord.gg/AAJTY

I went ahead and made one, it's basically a teamspeak and shit, just a place to shit post and actually talk to people without shitting up the thread with random conversation
>>
>>48183546
Oh yeah, now that you say it I remember reading that. Yeah, the Ghoul Lords did far worse shit then that. Like giving Frankenstein access to warp-tech kind of worse shit. And also, you could technically argue that many Servitors are essentially cyber-zombies.
>>
>>48183605

Tech thralls are lower ranked than even servitors.

Sounds like you're going full Xana II, with the undead stuff going down there.
>>
>>48183711
>Tech thralls are lower ranked than even servitors.
Yes I know, even if the difference between them doesn't seem to be all that huge.

>Sounds like you're going full Xana II, with the undead stuff going down there.
Wrote it before they got elaborated on in HH vol 6. But I got way more a 'daemons stuffed in iron shells' kind of Dark Mechanicum vibe from Xana II rather than frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors.
>>
>>48183787

I understand. It's just a parallel I drew. And yes, Xana II was more automated / daemon systems.

The frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors were the loyalists, used against the traitors.
>>
File: 1456214770041.jpg (140 KB, 727x960) Image search: [Google]
1456214770041.jpg
140 KB, 727x960
>>48183839
>The frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors were the loyalists, used against the traitors.

PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH!
>>
File: 40k fleet.jpg (1 MB, 1600x788) Image search: [Google]
40k fleet.jpg
1 MB, 1600x788
>>
Just how strong are astartes magboots on their power armor?
>>
>>48186269
Strong enough that an Astartes in full power armor can theoretically walk on a metal ceiling, assuming it can support a ton and a half of Spess Marine.
>>
>>48186390
What about active magboots on the top of a rhino or other vehicle based on the rhino?
>>
File: 1466023883341.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1466023883341.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
Played Only War today with some friends.
Really fun, one guy played as a psyker but we never got to assigning his 400xp to any abilities so he kinda just stabbed and shot guys like any other shmuck.
Also the 3 of them were able to kill 13 orks fairly easily.
I think that was my fault though, this is the first game i've had a screen, and been able to fudge some numbers. I think I need to do less of that.

Any way to make regular orks deadlier / harder to kill without just "oh you missed again and they hit you".

Other than that, the game was great, good old fashioned ork killin fun.
All the bonuses were pretty easy to use and the rolling system was simple too. Only got confusing a few times.
>>
>>48186499
>of a rhino
of a moving rhino I mean.
>>
>>48186508
Get them in melee.
>>
File: 1465141853566.png (365 KB, 486x544) Image search: [Google]
1465141853566.png
365 KB, 486x544
>>48186567
Ah, yeah, probably should do that.
Every time I got them in melee my players were seriously injured.
I'll play more towards melee then.

I also only threw 3 or 4 orks at a time at them.
Should I be upping their numbers aswell?
>>
>>48186621
Yes.
>>
>>48186628
Sounds good, thanks!
>>
>>48186634
Also remember that they can have different loadouts as well like burnas or shootas.
>>
>>48186649
Ah, yeah, I saw that. Pretty sure I just all made em one class. The one with a gun and a choppa.
>>
File: 1434502335551.jpg (78 KB, 1024x730) Image search: [Google]
1434502335551.jpg
78 KB, 1024x730
>>48186514
This is admittedly a dumb question.
You're essentially asking if it's possible to ride on top of a moving vehicle.

>but the Rhino is faster
but the magboots are restraints, and it is entirely possible to ride on top of a fast vehicle with restraints. That would be the regular crew in pic related, along with the infantry.

IIRC, restraints of any kind merge the two attached objects and the forces that act on them are combined. So the drag experienced by the marine is countered out by the forward force of the Rhino driving. This is high school physics. Come on anon.
>>
>>48180615
Combat encounters can be a little too difficult
>>
Black Crusade;

Are there any official limits on a heretek's "any two good craftsmanship cybernetics"?

Do human common lores stack with archetype common lores?
>>
Probably retarded question, but does the initial 'hit' with a frag grenade count for total hits on a horde? For instance, would a blast 4 frag grenade inflict 5 hits or 6 hits?
>>
So, going to start up an Only War game, starting with No Surrender.

I've played a shitload of Dark Heresy 1e, and dabbled in Rogue Trader and Black Crusade. I have not, however, played Only War.

I'm mostly asking if there's anything I should be aware of in the system, and about any bullshit in the character creation I should be wary of. I'm going to give the system another read through to make sure I'm up on differences, but it seems different enough, especially with all the new mechanics, that I worry someone might try some bullshit I won't spot.
>>
>>48188281
A few oddities like Ogryn not getting Low-Tech weapon proficiency and some other weirdness.

The system is closest to Black Crusade's in the running, though the chargen is relatively new (aspects of it carried over to DH 2e). Enforce a rock hard limit on how many people are allowed to start as Support Specialists rather than Guardsman Specialists.

Regiment creation is fun as hell once you have it down, and it's not that complicated.
>>
>>48188450
Yea, I'm super looking forward to my players creating a regiment.

I'm looking at 6 players, should I just put 2 max support? I figured I'd need to cap it.
>>
>>48186508
>fudging dice in OW
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
File: 1442374808082.jpg (80 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1442374808082.jpg
80 KB, 853x480
>>48188787
Well I've never done it before so I figured I'd try it while we're doing a new system.
It made it too easy actually, I probably won't be so lenient next time we play.
>>
I'm pretty new to this game and I'd rather not force my players to roll for stats. Whats the usual point buy pool for only war?
>>
>>48188847
>Well I've never done it before
Good. Keep not doing it, it's a horrible habit and it's even worse in systems like OW. There is a specific mechanic in that system dedicated to preserving the PCs and giving them bonuses, so maybe use that.
>>
>>48188881
Ehhhhh, I've heard it's good to do occasionally, especially if the party has been having awful luck.

But which systems preserve the PCs?
Success and failure levels?
>>
>>48188866
Page 75 of the core book.
>>
>>48188553
2 or 3 will do you fine.
>>
>>48188919
Comrades and Fate Points.
The Comrade is there explicitly to provide a bonus in each round of combat and to take damage for the PC, and all it costs to use the benefits is a free action each round.

Also remind your players that they can use Fate Points to reroll, among other things, their attacks, and that they get those points back at the end of the session.

There are myriad ways to stack bonuses in combat as well. Aim, use weapon customizations and upgrades, gang up (Comrades help with that too), fire single shot at longer ranges.

The PCs have all the tools they need, and two safety nets designed specifically to offset shit luck. There is no need to fudge dice, and if their luck is so absolutely shitty that even those systems can't help (unlikely since you can easily get bonuses to hit in the +40 range and AP in the high teens), manipulate the world.
>>
>>48188956
Well, know anywhere I can get a core rulebook, or am I going to be using a PDF?
>>
>>48189055
Actual printed books, for whatever reason, seem to be getting rarer. You can still get the PDF easy enough though.
>>
>>48182044
I'm not going to lie, originally it was Titans that fought Kaiju, but then I figured Knights would be a bit cooler and make for a more unique world.

>>48183149
Thanks mate, I don't think we have before but I'm all ears if you wish to impart any Knightly wisdom upon my ears!

Currently the Knights I have are operating out of a small world far from any other within the Sector, they've done very little for centuries as they're convinced the Kaiju are returning, and they're waiting for that rather than waste time fighting Orks or Heretics.
>>
File: tales of courage.png (2 MB, 1668x880) Image search: [Google]
tales of courage.png
2 MB, 1668x880
We just finished a multi year pathfinder campaign and I kind of want to run an Only war game to give my GM a break.

Anyway, let me run my concept by you guys. To start, the group has no experience with d100 games so to keep them from getting overwhelmed I'm thinking about breaking the game into three parts where mechanics are introduced in easy to digest portions.

I'll probably set the campaign on Kreig where they'll start as children which gives them ample time to get used to the system and I can introduce basic small arms as they go about their daily lives of training and the medium lethality mutant hunting expeditions. I estimate this will take 1~2 sessions tops.

The second part will fast forward to their pre graduation live fire exercises where they'll have their names stripped from them and they'll be given their serial numbers. This will be a good time to step up the difficulty as they'll be fighting similarly equipped enemies with military training. Maybe I'll introduce vehicles or maybe I'll keep the game centered on infantry and let them have access to a wider variety of weapons. This will probably take another 1~2 sessions depending on if I want to spice up the encounter by throwing a twist in there somewhere.

Third part is the campaign proper when they play full fledged guardsmen and I'll ship the group out to Vraks and let them play out the parts with the heaviest fighting where they get to play out key events like this. The best part is they're quite casual when it comes to 40k so the back and fourth in Vraks will be quite exiting to the players.
>>
>>48189183
>unfamiliar with 40k
>hey let's do Krieg and Vraks
This is a horrible idea. The basic structure is fine, but I'd recommend letting them make a regiment and a planet, and then break up the structure into boot camp for basic mechanics, in-transit for shipboard shenanigans and non-combat stuff with maybe a light skirmish or two, and then a theatre appropriate to what they rolled.
>>
>>48187483
Nope? No one?
>>
>>48189208
No one but the core rulebook. Read, nigga, read.
As for limitations, Black Crusade is a notoriously easy system to break, even by accident, so you better hope your GM knows what they're doing.
>>
>>48189183
If they're unfamiliar with 40k and d100, let them roll a regiment Anon. That's the big draw of Only War, you get to make your regiment and it's a group exercise. The campaign premise is fine, it sounds like it could be fun. But let them do their own regiment and work around it.

If they roll cavalry or something, have a session where they have to train their horses and stuff instead, Artillery and they spend a session on a moon learning ranges and stuff. And at the end of it, drop them in a war appropriate to the regiment they created.
>>
File: [Chivalry Intensifies] 1.2.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
[Chivalry Intensifies] 1.2.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48189156
Well, that depends. What ruleset are you using, mine, [Chivalry Intensifies] or Sha's? And what sort of narrative themes are you gonna roll with?
>>
>>48189315
>REACTOR ONLINE
>SENSORS ONLINE
>WEAPONS ONLINE
>ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Glorious.
>>
>>48189315
I meant more in general to be honest, I'm not so much running a Knight game as the sector might have some Knights in it, they'd be a narrative thing rather than a statted combat monster.

Chivalry Intensifies seems to be pure crunch, have I missed a fluff portion somewhere? That's my prime concern for now, I'm building the world (If you've read my document), on Riftward II (last page of the latest iteration).

My current Knight House is House Marin. They claim a small world in the sectors eastern stretch, it's a little verdant paradise of sorts. Big mountain ranges, rolling meadows, forests and feudal villages. There are eighteen large towns across the world, and each is built around a Greathall of Marin. These Greathalls are the hangers of sorts in which a Knight resides, awaiting the return of some Kaiju. I wasn't able to get an accurate figure on how many Knights each House typically fields or owns, so my first question is;
How far over the recommended amount am I?
>>
>>48189336
Gotta pay your respects to the classics and I grew up on playing Mechwarrior 3 & 4.

I even plan on adding a Crit system similar to the damage system in Mechwarrior, along with a bunch of other touch ups and updates for the next version.
>>
>>48189383
>Chivalry Intensifies seems to be pure crunch,
It is. I thought it was redundant to repeat all the fluff from the Codexes. It's a ruleset for running Imperial Knights in your games and with tips for how to make it work.

>How far over the recommended amount am I?
Way under strength, actually. The only numbers I can recall are from the HH series where large houses can field around a thousand Knights. For instance, the two major Houses I've fluffed up for Acheron can easily field 600-800 Knights with minor Houses in the sector being able to field 100-300~ish.

Knights and Knight Houses, compared to Titan Legions, seem to be rather common across the galaxy and it also seems like the Mechanicus knows pretty much all the mysteries behind their construction, since the fluff basically mentions a new Knight Armour having been built as an after thought.

You should also keep in mind that Imperial Knights are -literally- Knights in the medieval sense of the word. So they're a noble aristocracy whose martial traditions is based around riding giant robots as their horse, armour and arms.

You should also keep in mind that Knightly Houses are formed around planetary fortresses based on the ancient colony ships that brought them to their homeworld. Think 40k style castles built around ancient space ships, with all the requisite technology to maintain, repair and mount Knight Armours. Any other outposts they have on the planet are likely to be built, modeled after this type of castle, though without most of the advanced tech. Basically like feudal fiefdoms.

Another tip I can give is read up on the noble houses of Europe in the middle ages, especially the 1100-1400 which is the glory days of the medieval knight and the structure of feudalism and of course, the Imperial Knight Codexes and HH vol 4, 5 and 6 as they include lots of neat Knightly Houses to take inspiration from.
>>
>>48189503
Welp, guess they're too weak then!

I've stayed away from Tabletop for quite a while, so the fact that there were Imperial Knight codexes was completely lost to me. Downloading one now!

I'll be sure to modify the world entry to account for the city-ship. It rang a bell with me but I think I attributed it to something other than Knights.

Cheers for the advice!
>>
>>48189383
>>48189503
And something I personally run with when it comes to the politics of Acheron and the Knight Houses, is their influence and relationships to other factions. Like the medieval knights of old, fucking shit up on the battlefield is not the only thing they're up to (though it's their primary focus). So I also tend to include trade interests, who their oath of fealty is sworn to (Imperium or Mechanicus), their relations with non-knightly nobility, Trading companies, Imperial Adeptus and generally what goals they have. And since I'm a big Dune fan, this has of course led to lots of Dune-esque power politics in the sector. I also make a lot of references to Arthurian myth (the two largest houses in the sector are variant names for Pendragon and Mordred, obviously they hate each other) and similar chivalrous mythology and stories as well.

But to give an example of the (rough) political outlines of the Houses I've done

>House Bendraig: Mechanicus House. "The velvet gloved iron fist of Rhuhr". Gold dragons on emerald green heraldry. Traces their line back to Uthyr Bendraig, a legendary dragonrider on their homeworld during the Old Night. Gets a lot of their political power from being backed by the Mechanicus and spend a lot of their time pursuing Ad.Mech goals. Known for the shrewd diplomacy and wide web of political connections.

>House Medraut. Imperial Aligned house, red and gold colours, lions head heraldic device. Richest house in the sector due to the great mineral wealth of their fiefdoms and close ties to local trading conglomorates. Very pious adherents of the Imperial Faith with strong ties to the Ecclesiarchy and are frequently assisting in its many crusades and calls to arms in the warzones across the sector, so much that they've been referred too as a "Crusader House"

They're not super expansive, but they're good guides for mapping out the influence in a sector. Especially easy for you since you've got most of the major planets written
>>
>>48189593
Download both. Since they elaborate on completely different parts of the fluff for some reason. The first codex essentially establishes the new fluff, whereas the second codex elaborates on the structures of a Knightly House. Also, the Imperial Knight Companion is a good book to get too.

And it should also be mentioned, I've ignored some parts of GW fluff since I think it's stupid. Like Mechanics houses having red as their primary colour or the fact that female Knights are not a thing, which, hilariously, Forgeworld runs with.
>>
>>48189593
There's also some good fluff from ye olden days of Epic and 1e if you can find the books. Adeptus Titanicus as well, though that's Heresy-era.
>>
>>48189218
Thanks for the help. I am reading. Can't find it. Page numbers would help lie than douchery.
>>
>>48189389
Don't even need to add anything, since there already is a critical mechanic. I feel like making the tables more gradual than "YOUR BRAIN EXPLODES AND TURNS YOUR SKULL INTO A FRAG GRENADE" (as in replacing the results with various systems being damaged, with maximum fuck being ammo explosions or reactor meltdown) and using the same basic rules would work just fine.
>>
>>48191049
>Don't even need to add anything, since there already is a critical mechanic.
Obviously working off those. I just don't like the way how the vehicle critical tables in Only War function (for Knights that is), since they're obviously written for tanks and wheeled vehicles rather than something like a super-heavy walker. And the Super-heavy critical tables from Deathwatch are a bit too excessive.
>>
>>48191113
Well, yes.
An alternative approach would be to use the sytems for infantry, treating the knight suit more like a character than a vehicle. They are essentially humanoid, so a similar armour system would work, and you can easily assign hull points and armour value per limb. It'd still require some serious re-writing, but you'd get more or less the Battletech experience: working through armour over a few turns before the knight starts to really feel the damage.
>>
>>48191153
That could work, since I am essentially already treating the Knight as a hybrid vehicle/armour set as is and it's somewhat clumsy. Largely because the 40krpg's never where designed for this kind of absurd 'high level' play. Destroyer weapons in particular break the system in half.
>>
>>48191208
>300 damage in a single round
>>
>>48191306
Dual wielding Thunderstrikes is a hell of a drug.
>>
Anyone got any good traitor guard images?
>>
>>48168691
Hey guys, question.

We have an npc psyker that we previously saved from a demon of nurgle. After the fact, we've discovered they willingly consorted with the demon. They are no longer an immediate threat, and ate attempting to right wrongs, but something tells me a psyker can't fully put that genie back in the bottle.

What do? Could the blessing of a saint and regular emperor worship save their soul or are we fucked for not killing them on the spot?
>>
>>48192746
Just slap a collar of Khorne on it brah, ez pez
>>
>>48192746
Ah, a question of how to deal with rogue witches! This psyker has sinned against the holy God-Emperor and become a foul witch. He must be purified, body and soul, and Emperor willing, he will survive the process.
First, you must brand his forehead with the ever-watchful eye of the Emperor, and his chest, back, hands, and groin must be similarly branded with the Aquila, to signify his inability to escape the Emperor's gaze, and the permanent mark his sins have made. The brands must be rubbed with ash and salt while they are still fresh and hot, and he is not to be allowed medical attention while they heal. Once branded, he is to be locked in a cage of iron and made to sing holy hymns until his voice deserts him, and any hesitation is to be dealt with by whipping. He must then be bound head and foot and made to walk around the nearest city seven times without rest or pause. In a hive city, the local hab complex will suffice. Sny hestitation, rest, or stumbling is to be met with more whipping. Once the last circuit is completed, he is to be brought to a church and his head submerged in blessed water until the breath leaves his lungs. Then he is to fast for twenty days eating naught but water and starch-wafers, meditating on the goodness of the Emperor. Then he is to be put to questioning and subjected to his greatest terror, to break his will completely and fill his mind with the glory of the Imperator. If he dies at any stage, rejoice, for his soul has been cleansed and goes to rejoin the Emperor. If he survives, praise the Emperor for his forgiveness, the psyker has been purified. But keep close watch for the first sign of backsliding, and execute him if he once more imperils the soul you so gracefully saved.
>>
>>48192746
Depends on the psyker, though they probably will eventually succumb unless they go full on zealot. Ultimately, much like with any other psyker, it rests on them, rather than any external influences. And they fell once, meaning they're now both more visible and more vulnerable to future temptaion and any possession attempts.
>>
File: shield-image.jpg (50 KB, 270x340) Image search: [Google]
shield-image.jpg
50 KB, 270x340
Could someone point me towards a book with good rules/stats for shields like pic related?
Wanna use it for DH2.
>>
>>48192746
Killing him is the wisest course, both for those around him and the psyker himself.
>>
>>48195384
You too? There're stats for Arbites riot gear in the Dark Heresy: Book of Judgement
>>
MEGA guy will be unavailable for uploads/updates from Monday thru Thursday, I've been shanghai'd into taking care of the dog at the summer home in case my mom gets called away, so Rural DSL is gonna be a thing. Sorry.
>>
>>48189315
Ya know, Relic recently revealed the Knight supporting the Magpies in DoW3 is female. Just in case you want to mention that to back up your statement in the opening.
>>
>>48195764
>Just in case you want to mention that to back up your statement in the opening.
I think Forgeworld having female Knights is back up enough.
>>
Does anyone still play Inquisitor? I think that counts as a 40k RPG too!
>>
>>48196814
I have the rulebook on my shelf, but nobody who is interested. It's what got me into 40k rpgs.
>>
>>48196814
I'd give it a try
>>
Our foreverGM wants to take a break from our main Fantasy campaign and I'm eager to give 40K a shot, but I'm not sure which setting/edition I should go with.

I'm thinking of a jungle-based run with a small unit of Imperial guards and I'm kind of lost beween the Black Crusade, Only war and Dark Heresy. Any hints?
>>
>>48198402
Only War.
>>
>>48198459
This, definitely. OW is the game for Imperial Guard.
>>
>>48198485
>>48198459
Thanks anons! I didn't expect something this quick. Getting the ressources right now.
>>
>>48198552
Also, any advices running an Only War game, or any game for that matter?

First time DMing here! I'm currently writting the storylines and I'm building it around "objectives" that should be accomplished by the players. I'm trying to let them have the freedom to fuck around a bit, don't want to railroad the experience.
>>
One of my players is thinking about playing a felinis abhuman in DH2.
I am moderately wary, but I maintain an open policy to most things. Where is info on them located? I heard the 7e IG dex.
>>
>>48198617
Make them fight necrons.
>>
>>48198617
You'll want to look carefully at the regiment rules and try to get them a regiment that supports the style of play you're going for. (Light Infantry, Guerillas, and the more aggressive reconnaissance types sound good). Read up a bit too, there was some advice posted above that is also good, like making sure that the entire party isn't Support Specialists.
>>
>>48198683
They're locked to their planet. That's all of what is known.
>>
>>48198683
>>48198731
They're stuck on their planet and are apparently furry, since their name is Homo Hirstutis
>>
>>48198683

There is literally only one sentence about them in the BRB, stating they exist. There is no other information.

>>48198617

Consider what objectives will accomplish for different factions. For example, the players may e given objectives from different factions for the same thing. Let's say they are ordered by their superiors to destroy a power genetorum. This will cause a chain reaction and boom some nearby enemies, but shitter-shatter the Mechanicum. Alternatively, the local taghmata may request the players capture the same genetorum, and turn on some defenses, thereby defending the mechanicum holdings but causing other allied forces to take heavier losses from surviving enemies.

Let them choose, with everything that entails.
>>
>>48198731
>>48198746
>>48198758
Well, shit, lol.
My hesitation stems from my concern that he may play a generic "catboi" with all the shit attached, and how it will jar with the tone and setting I am presenting.
>>
>>48198721
I was thinking of tyrannids for the whole starshiptrooper vibe, but necrons are indeed masterrace, plus it would surprise the fuck out of them.

>>48198758
Solid advice, thanks. I was thinking of having their NPC captain get killed in the first session to let them with a vague mission such as"go find out what was the SOS we got this morning in an unexplored section of the jungle", in order to get the party started.
I'll add a Servo-skull with built-in objectives, it could be an interesting element.
>>
>>48187483
Bump.
>>
How often does /40krpg/ use called shots? What do you use them for? As gm, would you allow me to make a called shot to give the target the bleeding effect? Why or why not?
>>
>>48201314
If being shot in the face with a boltgun doesn't cause you to roll on bloodloss, neither should a called shot.

If the target had huge tubes actually circulating something in the body or similar, then maybe.
>>
>>48201705
>If the target had huge tubes actually circulating something in the body or similar, then maybe.
They're called arteries, anon.
>>
>>48202453
I'm not talking about arteries, I'm talking about TUBES.
>>
>>48202488
...You're gonna have to be more specific. How are arteries not TUBES?
>>
>>48202516
Because they're not external and connected to some other thing.
>>
>>48202532
Ok, that's more understandable. Your wording was unclear.
As a followup question to you: do you think weapons with the Storm quality *must* have two barrels?
>>
File: laurent-big.jpg (30 KB, 276x516) Image search: [Google]
laurent-big.jpg
30 KB, 276x516
>>48202532
I mean things like this.
>>
>>48202602
Are there any examples of weapons with the Storm quality that only have one barrel that isn't an ork weapon?
>>
>>48186508
>Also the 3 of them were able to kill 13 orks fairly easily
Yeah, you're GMing wrong there.
>>
>>48202627
Not that I'm aware of, but that wasn't my question. I'm asking about your personal belief about the Storm quality and its relationship with weapon construction. Also, why did you specifically disqualify ork weapons?
>>
Any book that contains rules for aircraft of all kinds?
>>
File: 1318318772993.jpg (110 KB, 474x492) Image search: [Google]
1318318772993.jpg
110 KB, 474x492
So I'm a tad confused in regards to how healing is handled in Only War. How exactly do you remove damage with Medicae tests? Is it per damage amount? Say I take 4 damage, another 4, and then a 5, are those all counted as lightly wounded damage and are all healed in a group? What about heavy damage? I'd much appreciate someone illuminating me on the matter.
>>
>>48203616
Just roll medicade once every 24 hours for first aid. No, at that point you're heavily wounded unless if you have a talent. Heavily damaged is a -10 to the test.

Pages 126 and 268.
>>
>>48203616
Wounds are all healed the same, "Remove X wounds". For First Aid, recover Wounds equal to your Intelligence bonus, for example.
There's no such thing as "Heavy Damage", just regular damage (IE, Wounds), and crit damage. Heavily Wounded et al just denote how fast you heal. Critical damage is removed first.

In your example, say a Guardsman has 15 wounds and a TB of 5 (He is a very tough and tanky Guardsman). He takes 4, 4, and 5 Wounds from three different attacks. He has 1 Wound left, and because he has taken more Wounds than twice his TB (2x5= 10, he has taken 14 Wounds), he is considered Heavily Damaged.
Your friendly medic patches him up, sterilizes the injuries, shoots him full of stims and painkillers, removes any dangerous shrapnel or whatnot, superglues his wounds shut, and slaps bandages on. Medic has an Int bonus of 4 and Medicae +10, plus a medkit for +20 and heavy wounds inflicting -10. He rolls and gets a 20, for 5 DoS. Tanky Guardsman heals 4 Wounds for Int bonus, then another 5 for the nice roll. He's at 10/15 Wounds and is now considered Lightly Damaged, and the doctor prescribes bed rest, Motrin 40k, and lots of booze.
>>
>>48198796
Just go with the assumption he will and tell him to yiff in the Warp.
>>
>>48203774
Thanks! That actually helps a lot in explaining what was confusing me.
>>
How organized do you run your Only War regiments as? In my last two sessions the players were literally just pushed out of the dropships with no objectives, no rendezvous points, no communications, no idea what world they are on, they never learned the name of the ship they were traveling on, etc. I'm not sure I'm liking that approach however
>>
File: 1465846367901.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1465846367901.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
>>48204094
As unsatisfactory as it sounds, it depends on the circumstances. What sort of regiment and missions were you playing? How competent were the officers and noncoms supposed to be? How much sneeki breeki Inquisitorial bullshit was happening behind the scenes?
>>
File: 1362276914067.jpg (53 KB, 600x383) Image search: [Google]
1362276914067.jpg
53 KB, 600x383
>>48204094
I can't really comment, we run our squad real kinda goofy and our GM responds in kind.
>holding a bridge against traitorous forces
>these mutated Chaos Ogryns show up
>none of us pass the Lore check to tell what they actually are
>even though we have an actual Ogryn (me)
>Commissar voxes for an artillery strike
>"yeah, we need artillery for some uh, daemons"
>person on the other end pauses, "describe these...daemons..."
>"uh well, they're big, red, have horns, and big guns"
>"guns? that doesn't sound like daemons...but, big, red, horns...hmm, let me check my supervisor"
>his supervisor then calls up his supervisor
>goes down the chain for three whole turns
>finally get our artillery after a bunch of silly bureaucracy
>instead of something light, they turn fucking Basilisks on the bridge, because daemons
>one Earthshaker round hits directly on fucking top of us

>survive the whole assault, including a Leman Russ at the end
>which mind you, we couldn't get more artillery for in case they hit us again
>this Inquisitor in charge of our whole regiment rocks up
>"you said there were daemons?"
>Commissar pipes up, "yeah! they're bodies are over there!"
>"bodies..?"
>Inquisitor basically tells us good job, kinda, but we're scolded for damaging the bridge so much and getting our Chimera wrecked
>Leman Russ meanwhile is sinking to the bottom of the river below the bridge, out of sight
>lose Logistics points
>>
>>48205520
10/10
>>
>>48205520
that's the most only war thing i've ever seen
>>
File: 1363314268981.jpg (87 KB, 342x359) Image search: [Google]
1363314268981.jpg
87 KB, 342x359
>>48205625
Our Commissar just makes it all gold. The player himself just tends to stuff up details and whatnot when speaking to NPCs, which leads to all kinda of situations like that.

>we have a couple heavy bolter tarantula turrets for a mission
>rescue what's left of a scout platoon on the way over
>from a bunch of traitor guard, one squad of which had a heavy stubber
>we get to our mission site, Commissar starts ordering around the scouts
>he points to a map "I want those heavy stubbers set up here and here!"
>"u-uh sir? where do we get the heavy stubbers, sir?"
>the Commissar's player just glares at the GM with a smirk
>BLAM
>"FIND THEM"
>another scout scrambles off to do so with a "sir yes sir!"
>"...and in the meantime, set up our HEAVY BOLTERS, here and here..."
>the scout who ran off comes back dragging a heavy stubber
>>
So what can you make Deathwatch adventures about beside "go here and kill X" ?

The adventure included in the core rulebook has an extraction mission but is pretty much about combat so it's not that different. The rulebook mentioned two other things, one being retrieving xeno artefacts from ruins which I like because you can not only include dungeon crawling and combat but also riddles, traps and mystery. Diplomatic missions I don't really get personally. Anything else beside those that comes to your mind ?
>>
>>48205985
Find the ancient books of knowledge.

>go to FLGS
>locate the other 40K RPGs
>stop playing Dullwatch and move onto one of them
Playing Mary Sues is no real fun, it's okay for a oneshot but more than that is insufferable.
>>
>>48205985
Diplomatic missions to minor xenos work perfectly fine. The ambassador and the inquisitor sit down to talk and deliver the Emperor's terms, the muhreens get to have a superwarrior night on the town, take part in a military excercise, or sabotage key defensive installations without causing too much of a ruckus or being detetected before X happens.
All sorts of shit you can do with that.
Another way to vary it up is have the team attached to a rogue trader vessel going into uncharted space: this gives you license to do basically whatever.
>>
>>48205985
Ask my group. We fire their weapons once every two or three sessions and claim to have great fun. It could be the truth or they have really low standards though.
>>
>>48206117
>Another way to vary it up is have the team attached to a rogue trader vessel going into uncharted space: this gives you license to do basically whatever.
I once had a game that did that with an Inquisitor trying to size up the threats from unknown space. By sheer coincidence, everyone made PCs from Chapters with a grudge against the Inquisition. Cue me spinning a plot on the spot that the choice of kill-team was a veiled insult from the Deathwatch to the Inquisitor, and inter-Imperial bitchiness suddenly becoming far more important.
>>
>night on the town
>GOOD DAY, UNSACTIONED XENO
>WE WISH TO PURCHASE YOUR ENTIRE STOCK OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND ANY FUNGICIDE OR INSECTICED AGENST YOU MAY HAVE
>w...what?
>BROTHER TANKRED WISHED TO PROVE SOMETHING TO BROTHER ARNULF
>THERE IS NO TIME TO LOSE
>>
>>48206151
Give that man a golden skull.
See, Deathwatch is about as limiting as Only War when it comes to interesting games, which is not very. Muhreens still have human flaws and weaknesses, and human personalities. They're different to baseline humans, but they can have similar baggage. The situation they're in as Deathwatch operatives is both unfamiliar and liberating to them, a good premise in and of itself if you want character drama.
This also frees the GM up to vary the premise up: Ordo Xenos is interested in aliens. Deathwatch is attached to Ordo Xenos. There are a lot of aliens out there, and they do all sorts of things an Inquisitor might be curious about or genocidally annoyed with, with the former not necessitating direct combat.
It's a system with many hard limits on characters and campaigns, but they're the sort that fuels creativity.
>>
>>48205985
Breakout missions can be fun.

>Go here and kill X
>X is killed pretty easily in 1-2 sessions
>As X is killed hostile force Y invades the planet, cutting PCs off from extraction
>Real meat of the mission taken up with trying to get off world
>Alternatively, if the players opt for it, mini campaign of them leading a resistance movement trying to take the planet back.

Combat will still exist (DW is DW after all), but it'll be limited by rapidly depleting ammo and the risk of being pinned down and overwhelmed by the superior enemy.

Fair warning, given the price of skills in DW a lot of players skip them for more combat effectiveness. Having a DW kill-team without anyone with Charm trained isn't unthinkable. This kind of mission can shine a very bright light on how incompetent DW PCs tend to be at anything that doesn't involve violence. It can make them feel less like post-human supermen and more like the autistic savants DW often incentivizes you to build.
>>
>>48206237
>Ordo Xenos is interested in aliens. Deathwatch is attached to Ordo Xenos.
Even this is overly limiting in terms of the specific Deathwatch of the Jericho Reach.

6,000 years ago, Watch Fortress Erioch was given one main task. Watch for the emergence of the Dark Pattern and deal with it as necessary. A fairly vague and open-ended task. Over time, they took this mandate and expanded it drastically. And with the isolation that came with the fall of the Jericho Sector, it makes the Deathwatch the oldest Imperial organization in the region. They have their fingers in literally everything going on, from the workings of the Ecclesiarchy to the comings and goings of the crusade fleets, because anything "could" be tied to the Dark Pattern. Yes, it means they've over-stepped their mandate and perhaps some marines will take offense with that, but it's a situation that came about specifically to not limit the players, even to what is commonly thought of the Deathwatch, which is, "We only care about dealing with Xenos."
>>
File: foodcourtia.png (715 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
foodcourtia.png
715 KB, 720x540
>>48205985
Babysit cogboys on an STC hunt

Explore strange new worlds, discover new life and civilizations, and boldly go where no superhuman has gone before

Hunt for the Black Library while punching Eldar and Thousand Sons along the way

Destroy sensitive Imperial data and hardware on a collapsing battlefront before the enemy gets to them

Oversee the transport/storage of alien artifacts or lifeforms, then figure out what to do when it inevitably goes to shit

Cleaning up the Inquisitor's basements, which are full of horrific shit

Explore the Noctis Labyrinthis under the Mechanicus' noses

Race the Grey Knights to acquire/destroy a Chaos-tainted alien artifact before they can get to it

Rescue/capture VIPs

For helping a Dorn-descendant Chapter in the past, the party has been invited to participate in the Feast of Blades

Investigate alien space crime as space cops and take down alien space crime syndicates

Investigate and judge the worth of a newly discovered abhuman civilization

Investigate reported xenos activity on an incredibly silly planet. Maybe it's a planet-sized food court. Maybe it's an Administratum file storage planet. Maybe it's a planet-sized Imperial theme park. Something to throw them off the expected formula of death worlds, warzones, and hive cities.
>>
>>48206356
I never ran the default sectors, so this makes me even more flabbergasted by people who claim the game to be overly limiting.

It's just as varied as the other titles, with just as much opportunity to run and play the kind of game you want. It even seems it bends over backwards to accentuate that with the default setting, so I'm at a loss here.
>>
>>48206630
bump we go
>>
bumpan
>>
where can I find how much XP some enemies are worth in Only War?
Is it in the NPC section?
>>
>>48211438
>Assigning XP based on enemies killed

Please don't do this.
>>
>>48211531
?
Why not? They kill a lot of enemies and I keep track of it.
Don't they need XP to upgrade characteristic points / skills?
>>
>>48211438
Take a look at page 293.

For Dark Heresy I've used this to reward XP.

Base XP: All players, 300 XP per session.

Mission successful: All players, when a mission or secondary objective is completed gains 100 XP, may be gained multiple times.

BONUS
A player may only gain bonus XP once.
A bonus may only be given to one player by GM's choice or party vote, primarily the latter.

Leader among men: Led the party to the completion of the mission and is awarded 150 XP.

Purger of the unclean: Killed the most enemies or one critical threat and gains 150 XP.

Sage among brutes: Furthered the investigation by skill and discretion rather than violence and is awarded 150 XP.

The God-Emperor's finest: Preformed extraordinary this session and is awarded 150 XP.
>>
File: 1451294899973.png (89 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
1451294899973.png
89 KB, 301x267
>>48211630
Ooooh, that sounds great.

I'll use that, thanks!
>>
>>48211574
>They kill a lot of enemies
This is why.
>>
>>48211574
>Why not?
Because you're tripping headfirst into a classic GMing blunder. RPG players are like dogs. If you reward them for doing a thing (XP for kills), they will do more of that (Wanton murder). If you punish them for doing a thing (Less XP for nonviolent behavior), they will do less of that (Not murdering). Examine the game to see what you want and reward/punish appropriately. XP for kills rewards random murderboning, executing prisoners, and maximum murder, while discouraging non-kill solutions. If you want that, cool, more power to you. If not, find another route.
>>
>>48212494
But it's Only War. A game about shooting orcs and blowing shit up, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>48212543
War is about a whole lot more than killing things, anon.
>>
>>48212705
okay then what else should my players be doing if not being on the front lines shootin the shit?
>>
>>48205985
>Dungeon crawl to retrieve artifacts
Sounds like great fun. I would love to make brother Wulf compete with brother Dark to see who solves the most riddles while brother Deyth checks for traps as he takes advantage of his jump pack.
>>
>>48212755
Something called R&R (with hijinks in the supply depots, possibly including black market deals), recon into unknown areas, where there might or might not be enemies (and it might be an idea to be sneaky, and not just shoot anything that moves).
>>
>>48212755
To answer this, I suggest you watch Blackadder Goes Forth.
>>
File: 1450576538198.png (265 KB, 339x393) Image search: [Google]
1450576538198.png
265 KB, 339x393
>>48212906
>>48212939
Oh my... I can see it already.
Quests done on base, patrols through areas, artifact hunting, capturing live aliens to bring to some Inquisitors for them to study, helping the captain out with embarrassing problems.
Recon sounds like it'd be cool. They could do that, then hear about the guys who actually had to fight, and how well they did based on the players information.
>>
>>48212939
>>48213017
Also M.A.S.H.
>>
>>48213060
And Generation Kill.
>>
Does anyone have that unofficial supplement for DW or DH that takes place in the horus heresy? It had rules for all the traitor legions and stuff, and a friend of mine wants to take a look at it since he is running a Horus Heresy game soon. I saw it once but havent been able to find it since.
>>
>>48214527

The one with world eater force weapons? Sorry, I didn't save it, but I hope you find it.
>>
>>48214654
Yeah I think that is the one. Thanks though.
>>
>>48214527
>>48214654
I have it, give me about 20 minutes or so to get home to post it.
>>
>>48214527

This one? : lodgeblackmangames jigsy com/rogue-trader-guides

Look at the right hand column under "Deathwatch Guides"
>>
>>48214708
Nope, not the one. Thanks anyways, ill give it a read myself later on.

>>48214683
Thanks anon. I await patiently.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (90 KB, 422x782) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
90 KB, 422x782
Is it only me or was the Deathwatch Champion meant to be used by Tacticals that decided that they want to hit things more than shoot them rather than Assault Marines ?

Almost all the skills it offers are either already found in the Assault tree or cheaper in Chapter-specific close combat specializations.
>>
>>48215166

Most of the Advanced Specs are awful if you take them to augment a specialty. They are best used to branch out and allow specialties the ability to do things they normally wouldn't do.
>>
File: Horus_Heresy_RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Horus_Heresy_RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48214785
As promised. It's a starting point, not something to run full out of the box. You anons can probably pick it apart better than I could.
>>
>>48215396
So basically I guessed right that the Champion is most useful for a Tactical Marine ?

By the way, what is the gameplay role of a Keeper ? Is he the party's diplomat ?
>>
>>48215621
Essentially.
>>
>>48212755
This is why retards shouldn't be allowed to DM.
>>
>>48216278
Sounds like someone got soggy rations today...
>>
>>48216487
He's just mad that Orks killed his famalam.
That said, a GM does need to be a little more inspired and logical than 'lol idk they're just soldiers they just shoot stuff rite'
>>
>>48216967
True. I did have a few plans for downtime, but it was mainly just setting up "oh hey can you find x item in the field for me" and other such things, so I needed a few more ideas, or inspiration.

I've also never played a game where they're just soldiers, so I was mainly basing this off vidya experience + the only other game I've run before.
>>
File: ratling gretchin.jpg (149 KB, 566x837) Image search: [Google]
ratling gretchin.jpg
149 KB, 566x837
>>48217104
Fair enough, let's see... optional 'missions' on downtime can include favours, great and small.

Your mates in the cookhouse would like better ingredients. He doesn't care where you find them.
A black marketeer in the army's baggage train wants Seccessionist equipment to sell on for god knows what.
Their superior officer entrusts your unit with a junior officer with a noble background, who needs to learn the ropes - preferably without getting him killed or in trouble.
The ratling fixer plans to scam his fellow guardsmen, and he needs the player-characters help.
The commissar in his black and red cap can be spotted a mile away, and trouble is occurring on base as bored soldiers start playing more and more serious pranks on each other - the player characters must help him investigate.
The addict of the platoon is begging for a fix, but his best friend doesn't know what to do. Do the PCs exploit the situation, or inform command?
The sanctioned psyker would hear a story about anything. Anything to keep his mind off his warden's shock maul or the iron bars of his cage.

Let me know if any of this helps.
>>
Are hellfire rounds worth using in heavy bolters? The change in firing mode seems a bit much.
>>
File: XUh4DG3.png (190 KB, 272x339) Image search: [Google]
XUh4DG3.png
190 KB, 272x339
>>48218021
It definitely does, thanks a ton!

I suppose reading more about some of the races and classes would help a lot in seeing how the PC's would interact with a character, along with a 3x3 of course.

Woofta, all these questions make me think that I should probably play this before I try to run it...
>>
File: preparingtomove.png (1 MB, 507x1000) Image search: [Google]
preparingtomove.png
1 MB, 507x1000
>>48218347
Probably the best advice I can suggest is read a bunch of war novels (Sven Hassel's books, Band of Brothers, some black library novels that focus on the Guard) and watch some war films and tv series (Band of Brothers again, 9th Company, The Pacific). Playing a game of OW will only allow you to experience what the GM wants you to experience.
Personally, I want to get across the familial bond that emerges from the fires of war. The regiment is not just a group of soldiers, it's their family, and they'll watch out for one another, because no-one else will.

Your NPCs are (for the most part) human beings, and will have aspirations, desires, fears and weaknesses. What kind of game you want to give your players will influence that.
>>
File: 2679.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2679.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
How would one stat a powered Lucerne hammer? For Deathwatch if it helps. Any ideas?

Also, can you give a whip a power field in Dark Heresy?
>>
>>48220195
Is a thunder hammer not sufficient?

Maybe if you're a magos or are buttbuddies with one who specializes in power weapons.
>>
>>48220195
DH2 has a whole bunch of hammers.
>>
>>48189503
House Raven has a few hundred Knights and is legendary for having so many. A minor House can have less than ten.

There are also only a few hundred Knight Worlds.

In essence, read fluff.
>>
>>48189607
>Forgeworld runs with
There's like one or two she-knights mentioned and they are Chaos Renegades who were around ten thousand years in the past.

If you're running Daemon Knights then by all means.
>>
>>48220337
Do they have hammer polearms? The part that's fucking with me is the fact it's choppy and stabby too, so how do I reflect that? It can't be just Impact damage all the time.

Maybe it can be used as one or the other?
>>
>>48220272
I'm trying to make a fancy relic weapon as a reward item.

And man, why do Helbrutes get all the fun? Can only Chaos whip it?
>>
>>48220684
Just make one side of a thunder hammer act as a normal thunder hammer with a bit more damage and the other side do a die less damage but double the pen or so.

Don't over complicate things.
>>
>>48220707
It's a polearm. That part is thematically important.

What you are suggesting is a war hammer. As in the real kind! Which is different.
>>
>>48220820
Is the distinction that important considering space marines wield thunder hammers in one hand?
>>
>>48220835
>space marines wield thunder hammers in one hand
Space Marine Terminators do.

There is a distinction, because the Power Spear is a thing with rules that make it different from a sword.
>>
>>48220913
Look at the description for it in the core book and errata. They wield it with one hand.
>>
>>48220947
I don't think you're getting me.

I'm just going to take your suggestion and mash it up with the polearm we already have.
>>
>>48215529
Thank you so much anon, cheers!
>>
>got a new group of complete 40K newbies for Dark Heresy

What would be the most interesting stuff (preferably Chaos) to throw their way? Already going to teach them about the Thousand Sons' bullshittery...
>>
>>48223742
Maybe the Sabbat Worlds heretics? The funky language, the rank structure and nomenclature, the zany war machines, the internecine bickering, and the different warlords' own unique styles could make for some varied gameplay if done right.
>>
>>48223846
I'd have to read up more on them but could do.
>>
I have been forced in to running a Rogue Trader game, and the players have requested to be in possession of a private army (Which for a Rogue Trader I think is completely reasonable).

How much should I give them though? I was considering one division (10,000 men). They rolled 20/70 for the Profit/Ship distribution, and having that amount seems reasonable to start.

Either way, for fun I let them roll the it up with OW's regiment creator. Mixed regiment of Mechanized Infantry with every fourth platoon being Armoured. That again, seems reasonable, no?
>>
>>48214315
>Generation Kill Only War
Hive World or Imperial World?
Recon regiment?
Fixed commander?
Combat drugs doctrine for Ray's Ripper Fuel?
>>
>>48223742
>newbies
>first session
>Thousand Sons
Just tell them they died and you can all go do something more productive.

>>48223846
This is a good idea.

Alternatively, and I'm assuming you can't be arsed with building your own microsetting for this, take any of the officially published myriad cults and stick them on a spaceship. A troop transport, maybe, so the thing is huge and not exactly fully explored, full of a lot of different people, and a nightmare to make heads or tails of. Also in the Warp.

Ships are easy to build and relatively self-contained, the game can go anywhere from investigation to full blown mutiny to DEMONS, you can do fairly varied environments, and you can expose the players to a lot of things 40k does differently to other settings.
>>
>>48224098
Nice job with the reading comprehension, nowhere did I mention they'd be meeting the Thousand Sons in the first session. No, that'll be the end of the second arc, and they'll have plenty of meatshield PDF/Guard alongside them.
>>
>>48223977
I personally run it like so
>1 armsman per 10 crewmen. Unless the players go out of their way to upgrade their basic armsmen, the average armsman has characteristics of 30 across the board, has 10 Wounds, and is equipped with a pump-action shotgun, a flak vest, and a rebreather. You can raise thousands of armsmen with a little notice, but they're bad at offensive action and tend to die if sneezed at. Think redshirts.
>For every Barracks component, the players have access to one regiment (4k-6k) of infantry or light mechanized Guard-equivalent troop. Devoting a cargo bay to their vehicles upgrades to mech infantry or armored.
>For every stormtrooper detachment, about a company of stormtroopers.
>>
File: 1452610251096.png (522 KB, 748x499) Image search: [Google]
1452610251096.png
522 KB, 748x499
>>48220386
>House Raven has a few hundred Knights and is legendary for having so many. A minor House can have less than ten.
"its heavily shielded halls house HUNDREDS of suits" - Codex Imperial Knights 7th ed p. 50
" House Raven is the largest by far. Indeed, Raven’s Knights number in the hundreds, " - Codex Imperial Knights 6th ed p. 33
No real upper or lower limit given to them so there is room for interpretation. However, House Aerthegn from the HH series could field 100 or so Knights when they were brought into compliance and were considered to be among the smaller houses inducted into the Imperium and House Orthlacc, a 'frontier' Knight House of 'Secundus grade' could field 300 or so Knights. And House Vyronii at just 100 Knights is considered -grievously- undestrength. All of this is from HH vol IV. Then we have House Vornherr who fielded 500 Knights at the Calth muster and was considered 'Primus Belicosa' for their numbers and its mentioned they have many more Knight Armours stasis locked in storage. So then it can be reasonably assumed that House Raven, as the largest House in the Imperium is capable of fielding a lot more Knights then that, probably close to a thousand or so. Which gives a lot of room for interpretation for your own homebrew houses, does it not? And yes, I am deliberately biased in favour of FW's fluff, but that's because it's far more detailed, better written and is not as pointlessly vague as GW fluff.

>There are also only a few hundred Knight Worlds.
"There are many HUNDREDS of Knight Worlds scattered throughout the vast empire of mankind." - Codex Imperial Knights 6th ed p. 18/19 (e-reader page numbering is fucky)
"Scattered across the black pall of space can be found many HUNDREDS of knight worlds" - Codex Imperial Knights 7th ed p. 12
Again, no upper or lower limit which gives you plenty of room to interpret. But, they're common enough to be spread out all over the Imperium and be notable powers in the sectors they appear.

Cont'd
>>
File: loyalist lady knights.jpg (343 KB, 1816x538) Image search: [Google]
loyalist lady knights.jpg
343 KB, 1816x538
>>48224179
>>48220443
>There's like one or two she-knights mentioned and they are Chaos Renegades who were around ten thousand years in the past.
Two cases of loyalist lady knights from HH vol IV, same book which introduced House Aerthegn with the singular traitor lady knight (in a position of authority no less).
To say that loyalist houses with the tradition of having female knights has not survived to the 41st millennium is fucking silly. This does not mean that all Knight houses allow their daughters to be Knights, I do consider them to be patriarchal in the proper meaning of the word. However, for "your dudes"? A perfectly valid interpretation with backing in fluff to have lady knights if you so wish.

It should also be noted, that GW codex fluff states that a lot less Knight Houses went traitor than the Horus Heresy series does.

While I may make sweeping statements and broad generalizations and interpretations of fluff for my own games, I do read my fucking fluff to make those interpretations and especially if I intend to help someone else with tips and advice.

But that's enough cancerous namefaggotry from me.

tl;dr Namefag autism.
>>
>>48224178
>1 armsman per 10 crewmen. Unless the players go out of their way to upgrade their basic armsmen, the average armsman has characteristics of 30 across the board, has 10 Wounds, and is equipped with a pump-action shotgun, a flak vest, and a rebreather. You can raise thousands of armsmen with a little notice, but they're bad at offensive action and tend to die if sneezed at. Think redshirts.
>For every Barracks component, the players have access to one regiment (4k-6k) of infantry or light mechanized Guard-equivalent troop. Devoting a cargo bay to their vehicles upgrades to mech infantry or armored.
I like that, I think I'll use it. Thanks anon. I'm not too sure about Stormtroopers though. How should I determine how many companies of them they have? And how would they fit in to the chain of command? Form their own division/regiment, or be special detachments to each battalion? As of now, each battalion consists of Battalion Headquarters, and then three Companies of 3 Mechanized Infantry platoons and 1 Armoured Platoon.
>>
>>48224216
Stormtroopers are specifically acquired as an Extremely Rare ship upgrade (Page 164, Into The Storm), and get one company for every time they buy the upgrade. Players do not get them automatically or by default.
As for chain of command, stormtroopers are auxilia. They have their own chain of command and commanders (Tempestors), subordinate to the overall commander of the force (In this case, the Rogue Trader). They might be used as elite bodyguards, support for the House Guard units, or as surgical strike groups.
>>
>>48224291
Oh, damn, I didn't know they were their own upgrade. Thanks for the source and info, anon.
>>
SO, best Black Templar shenanigans you've had in DW or even RT?
>>
>>48225565
>OW
>Long, brutal campaign against entrenched Chaos forces
>Constant struggle for life, soul, and sanity, the weak die or turn traitor
>Gradually, the surviving troops become a core of diamond-hard crusaders with a reflexive, near-insane ultra-faith in the Emperor, and start to turn the tide
>Suddenly, word comes, an entire war-fleet of the Emperor's Angel has come to save us, yay!
>It's Black Templars
>They start to orbital-bombard all strategic objectives including the ones Command wanted intact, and also ones we're in control of or are actively defending
>BTs land and start killing everything as they assume that because the war isn't already over, we are clearly cultist mutant traitor heretics
>Literally everyone on the planet dies, a valuable fortress world is reduced to endless barren mud plain, Black Templars record it as a rousing Imperial victory.
Fucking Black Templars, man.
>>
>>48225659
You party died in the asault too? Sounds like the GM just wanted out of the game.
>>
>>48225770
Pretty in character for best chapter, though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.