[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: By 2020, Hearthstone is going to kill the competitive scene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: shrivel.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
shrivel.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
Fact: By 2020, Hearthstone is going to kill the competitive scene for MTG. The secondary market will crash do to a sharp decrease in demand . Legacy is already dying in the US due to this reason. Hearthstone does MTG better. WOTC has no way to compete with the marginal value that Hearthstone provides to its players. I suggest you get out while you can.

pic related, is what will happen to magic
>>
Magic cant be played on your own while on the toilet
And there the advantages of HS end
>>
Competitive Hearthstone is less about playing the game and more about watching your favorite Internet personality play the game and that's the problem. Every Friday night dozens of people go to hundreds of events across the country to play Magic competitively, not to mention the dozen actual tournaments a season where people pour in from every state.

I hate competitive Magic and Wizards but that doesn't change the facts.
>>
>>48166873

But you can play Duels or various non-official rulesless table simulators loaded with magic card images on the toilet
>>
File: 1451854817224.jpg (74 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
1451854817224.jpg
74 KB, 419x610
>>
Just hold on for our Q4 announcement. We're going to fuck Blizzard up.

- M
>>
>>48166828
I hope you're right, $10 dual lands, and $8 FoW, like in 1998.
>>
>>48166873
>Implying I don't test decks on Forge while taking a shit at work.
>And when not taking a shit at work
>And on the way to work
>And at home
>>
>>48166873
Magic duels is an App. So....
>>
Can you interact with your opponent by talking to them, looking at them, and feel the cards in your hands? No? Thought so. There's a reason hearthstone only survives as a free app.
>>
>>48168557
How is Magic Duels by the way? Like I've played one of the yearly installments back in 2013 and got it downloaded on steam. Is the app more stable, and responsive?

i ask this because i haven't tried out the app version, and only the steam release. which tends to crash midway through a game more often than not.

Hearthstone was ground up designed to take advantage of the digital-ness of the medium, randomization and attacks, counterspells, and etc being relegated to simple point and drag inputs.

duels felt a little clunky to me.
>>
>>48166828
While Magic's older formats might die in a 10-20 years, modern and standard are still popular and growing among new platers.
>>48168676
Still bad, but has more sets.
>>
hearthstone a shit
>>
>>48166828
I can only assume this is shit posting and you have no idea what you're talking about, because Hearthstone is in the middle of a competitive meltdown where people are finally getting tired of the RNG bullshit which WILL kill hearthstone if Blizzard doesn't actually.

Clearly you're just here to shit post though, so I'll just report.

Too bad you can't sage anymore
>>
Cards are too expensive, Magic Online is a garbage product and Magic "Digital Next" will be an extremely underwhelming product.

Competition is good. Big Magic should die so that kitchen table will live.
>>
HS is way to shallow and random to keep me interested. It is just much better designed visually and from a marketing standpoint plus it has brand recognition so of course its popular.
>>
Fact: Yugioh was supposed to kill magic. It even had a fuckload of children playing it.

Then what happened?
>>
>>48168469
Is the Mobile version any good? does it have complete card pics?
>>
>>48169438
Isn't it still big in Japan? They still keep making new anime series
>>
>>48169472
is it because its easier to read the cards in Japaneese? Because the English text keeps getting smaller and more poorly worded as the game progresses, the opposite of what is supposed to happen.
>>
>>48169438
Duel Masters killed Yugioh
>>
>>48169607
I thought it was the same thing
>>
>>48169607
Dues masters is actually American it got rebooted into Kaijudo
>>
>>48168676
It's gotten better. I have one grievance though. When you are saccing a clue using more than one color of mana the app seems to crash as soon as you hit the confirm button. Otherwise it's great. Takes about a month to get any size able collection going but it's good for the campaigns.
>>
>>48169438
Teledad followed by synchros removed a lot of the old guard.
>>
>>48166828
"No."
>>
Let's say that wizards goes under.
Five years from now, casual people will still play magic with the cards they have.
Blizzard goes under
You couldn't play hs if you wanted to then.
>>
>>48169438

Well, it outsold MTG, so there you go.

It's still played, but it rotates players out.

>>48169846
Teledad was synchros you daft cunt. TELEDAD wasn't even a guaranteed win, rescue cat and gladbeasts could beat it. Lightsworn and Gravekeepers dicked around too.

If fucking dragon rulers, nekroz and the continued stagnant meta haven't killed yugioh, nothing will.
>>
Yugioh also has less freedom in the casual department. You either have a large enough collection that you can pull together some shit or you have the specific tribal deck the game makers premade for you.
>>
Hearthstone is fun but it lacks depth. An important part of any competitive game is rewarding mechanics knowledge , and hearthstone is designed to hide technical mechanics whenever possible. It pains me to say it, but Yugioh is a deeper competitive game than hearthstone. Yugioh is trash, but at least technical play is important.

Looking at legacy as a canary for the death of the whole game is naive. Legacy has slowed down its growth due to the market impact of high-demand staples. Legacy alone has a more competitive scene than hearthstone anyway.

Hearthstone is just a 1000x better stream game because MTGO is shit and wizards knows how to make a stream like hillary knows how to use email.
>>
>>48166873
first post always best post
>>
>>48169439
It's the exact same thing but better since it automatically updates.
>>
>>48166828
You keep posting this thread, and we keep having the same replies.

Blizzard can't keep an online game afloat even if their lives depended on it. They will find a way to torpedo it entirely within 2 years if they haven't already.

MTG also sucks at internet play but that's due to recalcitrance that can possibly be fixed, as opposed to sheer maliciousness. It also has the paper game which has always been by far the biggest source of its sales and influence.

The secondary market won't crash unless Martin Shkreli goes full retard in the span of 2 days, and by then he'll probably be arrested again.
>>
>>48166828
I mean, if Hearthstone wasn't 50% luck, it easily could give Magic a run for its money.

But TCGs are already luck-based enough as it is, and Hearthstone layers on far more RNG.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.