[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fact that mtg community is pretty terrible is hardly a revealation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: Screenshot+2016-07-07+01.46.32.png (440 KB, 733x659) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot+2016-07-07+01.46.32.png
440 KB, 733x659
The fact that mtg community is pretty terrible is hardly a revealation to anyone. The main problem I had back in 1999 when I started playing as 11 yo was that people much older than me are fucking terrible people who would scam trade you a bunch of commons for your chase rares. I'm not even talking teens, I'm talking full grown men.
I've never met unwashed smelly neckbeards or autists who can't take a loss which throwing a hissy fit though. I'm not saying they don't exist. But nobody seem to mention the way people try to scam less experienced player out of their lucky pulls.

PS: I learned my lesson though: I went on to sell worthless cards to younger schoolmates. And I don't trust anyone anymore.
>>
>>48158584
I wonder how the people in that photo feel about being splashed across the page as examples of negative stereotypes.
>>
> I went on to sell worthless cards to younger schoolmates.
People abused as children often go on to abuse children themselves.
>>
File: lowbait.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lowbait.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>48158664
>>
>>48158660
As the ancient Greeks would say of pederasty, "today's penetrated is tomorrow's penetrator"
>>
>>48158660
It's ok to abuse children if you're a child. It's called growing up.
>>
>>48158584

Kek, those people on the pic are extremely normal for MtG players.

Try some asscrack-showing, socks and sandals type landwhales with neckbeards and greasy hair plus the smell of a garbage heap.
>>
>>48160085
BUT THEY'RE ALL MEEEEEN
>>
>>48160085
I could never imagine something like this in my country. Not trying to troll but nerds are less disgusting here. Elitist assholes - maybe, but somewhat groomed.
>>
>>48160085
We could summon the asscrack bandit. for your pleasure.
>>
>>48158684
How is that bait? Bait is saying something disingenuous but inflammatory to get a rise out of other posters; that's not what he did. Someone disagreeing with you is not "bait". Don't turn bait into the new cuck, where it's inappropriately applied to every situation.
>>
>>48160169

Yeah, 90% of the people are not like that here as well, but I've seen some shit during my 13 years of on-and-off gaming.

Worst was probably a guy who literally smelled like a wine cellar.
>>
Sometimes I get the urge to sell all those boxes of old MtG cards that I have laying around, because throwing them out feels like a waste.
But then I realize how much of a hassle it is to sell this crap and i forget about it.

Tho while I did meet a lot of scumbags who tried cheating ingame or trading me worthless stuff for my strong cards, I did meet some great people who would even give me cards for free to make my deck better, in about equal measure as well, so I dont have that bad experiences with MtG.
>>
My only problem with the mtg community was how unfriendly it was to new players in my experience. I got into mtg playing with friends for fun, and then I learned there was a local card shop that hosted Fnm.
Instead of enjoying the casual, friendly games I was accustomed to I spent about three Friday's either being told how to deck build by friendlier players, or just getting shit talked over cardboard by mildly over familiar college age people.

The former was fine, but much to both our chagrin I just wanted to build theme decks for fun. The latter was annoying as fuck because goddamn I kept my cool, but there comes a point when you realize you're actually being bullied over cardboard by people who ironically are nerdy even by standards.
>>
>>48158608
It's most likely a stock photo in which everyone photographed provided unconditional consent for use. They probably don't care at all because that same photo is likely used for a whole host of other things too.
>>
>>48160292
Posting about how white males are a problem on a board like /tg/ (where males are almost certainly a majority and whites probably a good bulk of us as well) is pretty inflammatory. It was intended to get a rise out of other posters, ergo it's bait.
>>
>>48160781

If its inflammatory but true, is it still bait?

>fucking honkies
>>
>>48161055
>True

I'd post Costanza, but I can't be arsed.
>>
File: 130905149456.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
130905149456.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>48161055
>>48161229
>>
>>48160747
My experience is a lot better. If you come into a shop at FNM and out yourself as a newbie, you're likely to get a shitton of leftover cards. Not good for anything serious, but nice to have to get into deck construction.

Also help with deck construction, sometimes a bit too eager though.

Wasn't scammed so far either. Basically everything that only looks like it might be worth something is looked up.
>>
I started playing magic with a jackass in middle school. His parents were both brain surgeons or something, so he got 100 bucks a week for allowance. I remember Leigons had just come out, so he bought a box, cracked two akromas and two phages, then spent the fifty bucks each to complete the playsets. for some reason. He just wanted to have them

The fucker also traded me some bullshit for my foil minds desire. I had no idea what it was or how to play it. I think I traded it for like a silvos.

I didnt really commit to mtg until I started playing a ton with my scout troop. Now I just give away commons. Theres a local play group that meets at the library, and i just give them cards.
>>
>>48158584
It's inevitable that Magic fans are the worst because Magic is the tabletop game with the least need for a social contract or understanding between players. RPGs tend to be played by circles of friends, and wargames require a lot of negotiation and good faith as far as agreeing to rules and scenarios. Magic, however, has strictly templated rules designed for strangers to play with strangers. Social skills are not required. If you don't get invited to play any other kind of game, you go to play Magic instead. Magic is the waste product of tabletop gaming.
>>
>>48162018
It's where a bunch of fat/scrawny nerds get to pretend they're gladiators. Of course they act like assholes.
>>
>>48162018
Areas with lots of telephone poles have lots of crime, therefore telephone poles cause crime.
>>
>>48162067
Not just that, but they didn't get invited to any of the other ways to pretend to be gladiators. They're playing the one game that it's almost impossible to be thrown out of.
>>
>>48158584
>Let's talk about [bad thing] in [hobby]
NOT THIS FUCKING SHIT AGAIN
What's next, "white-male terrorism in card-games"?
>>
Reminds me of when the communist government of the GDR stated that it had been disappointed by the people and they would have to work hard to regain the governments' trust. Then why does the government not just dissolve the people and elect a new one?
>>
>>48162169
Soviet Union dissolved malcontents in gulags, though.
>>
>>48162159
>WARHAMMER 40K FANS BLOWING THEMSELVES UP WITH ANFO AND PRIMER AFTER BEING SHOWN BADLY PAINTED MINIATURES, NEW FAD ABOUT TO DESTROY US? FIND OUT TONIGHT ON SITENAME.COM
>>
>>48162067

Its where nerds who are a bit good at arithmetic, who also don't have to have any social skills, get to pretend they're gladiators. Its pmuch the worst.
>>
My experience with stranger mtg players have been the swedish duel masters champion, who also played magic, pouring a soda onto the head of some other guy

We were like 15 at the oldest though and I think that other guy was an asshole
>>
Most of the people at my FNM are aight. A lot of us are just normalfags who happen to really like magic. Got at least 2 full grown autists though. One guy who takes the game too seriously as if he's at GP playing in the finals. And a couple NEETS with waifu playmats. Once had an 11 year old kid show up though and god damn he was so annoying. Never wanted to smack a child so much in my life. Reaching over, grabbing my cards, throwing them into the graveyard before I could "in response." Children are cancer.
>>
imgur com/gallery/SjcgE
>>
>>48162511
The biggest problem I ever had was that the shittiest-acting players were around the most and passed on all their bad habits to the youngest kids, and few people would ever correct the bad habits the kids already had. The behavior got shittier with every new group of kids coming in as the problems compounded.
>>
>>48162212

They should have tried hydrofluoric acid. Works much better.
>>
>>48161055
>If its inflammatory but true, is it still bait?

Yes, see: /pol/.
>>
>>48161055
Are you doing it purely for the reaction? If yes, then its bait. You are /bait/ing for reactions. Words mean things.
>>
>>48164366
A better example would be CANADA
>>
File: 1419573232847.jpg (16 KB, 224x208) Image search: [Google]
1419573232847.jpg
16 KB, 224x208
>>48162511

you get triggered by waifu playmats?
>>
>>48158584
What do you expect? Any decent person who plays the game runs away from the public as fast as possible and plays in private groups.
>>
>>48158608
It doesnt matter how they feel. Only the author's feelings matter, and she requires attention. Lots of attention.
>>
>>48160292
It's likely bait because it's an over the top stupid thing to say.

'White males are the problem' is the rallying cry of angsty, disenfranchised adolescents who succumb to the sjw hype.
Or the tagline of immoral, self-centered, fat/ugly/attention addicted women trying to gain 'fame' at the expense of anything or anyone.

Stereotyping white males is a common practice of this sub-culture of sjw retards. And the hypocrisy of it is somehow lost on them, which really spotlights their stupidity.
>>
>>48164913
>she
You should maybe get your eyes checked anon
>>
>>48164990
Hey, places dominated by white male patriarchates are the worst.

I mean, other then literally any other place.

Unfair payment polices are bad, but you can't really say they are worse then shooting you in the brain for trying to go to school.
>>
>>48165396
>payment police
What?
>>
>>48158584
There are two separate points here:

>children are awful
and
>awful children become awful adults

I can't really argue with either of those points. On the other hand I played yugioh growing up and only got into magic a few years ago, as an adult. The community is very nice, at least where I live. I'm a complete sperg and people are nice enough to remember my name and say hi when I show up to events. Everyone pulls up starcitygames, or facetoface and we trade knowing exactly what the dollar amounts of each card are. There are quite a few ladies I play with, and no one ever causes any issue with them whatsoever. I think this whole stereotype is unfortunate.
>>
So, is MTG the angle SJW will breach /tg/ related stuff and make it completely fucked? Oh well, we lasted longer than anything Comic related.
>>
>>48165565
He means "policies" the plural of "policy". He seems to be under the false impression that the gender wage gap is A) real, and B) a result of legislation and/or company policy.
>>
>>48158664
>>white males
>they're part of the problem

They are people here who never heard of yugioh's niggers.
>>
>>48165613
Not without dying, the main problem is wizards is owned by Hasbro.
>>
>>48158684
>>48160781
>>48164990
I was going to call you faggots for seriously responding to an obviously sarcastic post I'm from your boogeyman /pol/ and even I wouldn't respond seriously to that but then someone proceeds to actually start baiting so I don't have a leg to stand on.
>>
>>48165678
>I'm a girl
Tits or GTFO

nobody gives a shit what board you're from, faggot
>>
>waifu playmat+sleeves
>win majority of games and lose graciously
>get to come on here and laugh at you spergs for being offended by manga style art
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 702x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 702x378
>>48165724
Well if you're going to accuse everything of being /pol/ you should at least know what /pol/ acts like first.
>>
>>48165739
>autist that want the normie audience being nofunallowed.jpg
Remind me of AGDQ desu
>>
File: 1393538839618.jpg (205 KB, 418x540) Image search: [Google]
1393538839618.jpg
205 KB, 418x540
>>48158608
>examples of negative stereotypes
Aren't they just examples of the Magic community?
>>
File: Stopping By Bait.jpg (167 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
Stopping By Bait.jpg
167 KB, 900x700
>>48161055
>>
>>48165772
What happened during AGDQ?
>>
>>48158584
You're full of shit, anon. Back in the 90's you could check every card on mox.perl.com for the commonality. If you didn't do that at age 11, then how were people to know you weren't a casual who didn't care about card rarity? Please.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 226x209) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 226x209
>>48166748
A website existed, therefore every single person used it to check card rarity.

>flawless logic
>>
>>48166748
Barely anyone had internet in the 90s unless your dad was a stock broker or something
>>
>>48165879
Interesting how as time goes on the This Is Bait Meme never seems to die, but only grows more and more complex.
>>
>>48164878
Nah, my playmat triggers mtself actually. Its batman fighting a shark with a red lightsaber, but the hilt is Luke's from episode V and IV. If someone wants to rep their waifu who am I to judge. But they're still NEETS. I almost bought a lewd playmat of one of their waifus just to see if I could get a reaction but decided not to be an asshole and waste 20 bucks
>>
>>48169542
A college classmate got away with playing the "that's racist" kid meme as his playmat. When the judge told him his playmat was offensive he asked "to whom? I'm the only black person in the store, will you be racist by telling me what I have to be offended about like we're back in the plantation?" and the judge went away saying notthing of it again for the whole night.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.