[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what does /tg/ think of A Very British Civil War? The setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: i2slll.jpg (67 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
i2slll.jpg
67 KB, 800x1131
So what does /tg/ think of A Very British Civil War?

The setting seems really interesting to be honest.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2856x2253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2856x2253
I'll be the fascists as they have the best symbol. IIRC the Brits had to ban the wearing of non government uniforms in public in the 1930s so perhaps the setting isn't terribly far fetched. Setting would be of limited interest to most Americans I think.
>>
The Basic Premise:

When King George V died in early1936 he was succeeded by his playboy eldest son Edward, who became King Edward VIII. In real life he abdicated that December, so he could marry Wallis Simpson. In this alternative timeline he refused to abdicate, and in May 1937 he married her. This flew in the face of advice from both church and state, and the stand-off between the king and Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin only came to an end in 1937, when the government resigned. Parliament was eventually dissolved - ripped apart by the ensuing constitutional crisis. Edward was an admirer of Herr Hitler and other extreme right-wingers, and so in January 1938 he invited Oswald Mosley of the British Union of Fascists to become his Prime Minister. For many this was a step too far. Opposition formed around the Anglican League - a confederation of churchmen, disgruntled parliamentarians and left-of-centre political groups. When striking and rioting ensued the king ordered the army to restore order, assisted by Moseley's Facist auxiliaries. The Anglican League took up arms to defend itself, as did a whole assortment of politically-inspired militias, local defence volunteers and other militant groups. The Scots (or most of them) seceded from the Union, and formed their own Republic. Similar nationalist stirrings were taking place in Wales, Cornwall and Northern Ireland. By the spring of 1938 the British people found themselves at war with each other - the first time the country had degenerated into Civil War for 300 years.
>>
>>48151927
>Similar nationalist stirrings were taking place in...Cornwall
I do wish people would stop pretending that Cornwall is anything other than an English county with an unusual history that they emphasise so as to have something to distinguish themselves from fucking Devon.
>>
File: image.png (1 KB, 440x293) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 KB, 440x293
>>48151995

An Gof will have a word with you now.
>>
>>48151799

It's a pretty sweet setting. I've seen a lot of really awesome armies and battle reports on some of the TT wargaming forums I frequent.

Unfortunately, like most historical wargames beyond the mainstream, it only tends to be played and known among a handful of tight knit groups of older players scattered across the world.
>>
>>48151799
I tried to get the rule sent to my local store back in 2013 but they never came through...
>>
>>48151927
>Welsh independence

COFIWCH DRYWERYN
>>
>>48151799
Throw us a PDF and we'll tell you
>>
>>48156649
This. I am interested, but I need more.
>>
Interesting scenario let down by poor production values.
>>
>>48156649
>>48156676

OP here, would happily provide but all I got is a shady rules pdf gotten from a Google search a while ago.
>>
File: BCWRULES.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
BCWRULES.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48156828
Whoops forgot the pdf
>>
My google fu turned up this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lh23130b5et7dai/VBCW.pdf

It is the concise sourcebook, which I think is the most up to date core setting material, but keep in mind there are separate detailed splatbooks for the various factions. Because the game originally didn't have its own rules before releasing separate Brigade and Skirmish level rules officially, there are a number of interwar period rules systems people have used:
Went The Day Well is being rewritten by people on the VBCW forum right now, so it is incomplete
A World Aflame are interwar combat rules from Osprey, the guys who make the cool military history books with detailed illustrations of uniforms. It isn't free, but so much Osprey shit is pirated I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it in one of those megapacks of Osprey books.
Triumph and Tragedy is available for purchase from Empress Miniatures.
>>
File: cornwall.png (787 KB, 521x781) Image search: [Google]
cornwall.png
787 KB, 521x781
>>48151995
>>48152048
>>
I like it but nobody plays it outside Britain unfortunately
>>
>>48151927
>When striking and rioting ensued the king ordered the army to restore order
>The Anglican League took up arms
So the AL are the bad guys?
>>
>>48151799
you might have a bit more luck asking over here
>>48098290
>>
>>48160180

BUF auxiliaries were the main reason the Anglican League formed, if I recall. In order to try to prevent troops from rebelling against his unstable government, Edward keeps the army regiments in the areas they are based. Many police those areas effectively and keep them Royalist, some eventually sided with the locals against the BUF paramilitary forces.
>>
>>48151799
It involuntarily predicted the future. Good game.
>>
>>48151799
Updated Brexit edition when?

English farmers invading Brussel to get their EU money back when?
>>
>>48159703

Amerifag here - I play VBCW using Bolt Action
>>
So for people who play VBCW, whats your personal army? I mean half the fun of the setting is making up your own milita. So whats yours?
>>
>>48151995
What, you mean Devon as in the centre of the fucking Universe?! That Devon?! Cornwall always used to be part of Devon anyway! Dumnonia shall rise again!!!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.