[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do your players do with all that money at the end of a campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: money.png (129 KB, 259x291) Image search: [Google]
money.png
129 KB, 259x291
What do your players do with all that money at the end of a campaign?
>>
Try to money-launder it into their next characters.

For example, one took an "apprentice", bought him lodsagear, and then played that apprentice in the next campaign. Another buried it, and had their next character start with a treasure map. A third sneakily asked me where I wanted to run my next campaign and hid a cache of spellbooks in a library nearby.

It failed, of course, because I'm the DM. The spellbooks and treasure were dug up by the BBEG and the apprentice got robbed on day 1. Now their enemies have all the gear they tried to give to their successors.
>>
>>48150728
That's hilarious and you're bad person for not indulging them.
>>
>>48150666
Ale and whores.
>>
>>48150767
>Not letting players get away with blatant bullshit
>Bad person
That sounds like a great GM to me actually.
>>
>>48150789
This. Without the ale.
>>
File: ayy lmao balloon.jpg (158 KB, 987x785) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao balloon.jpg
158 KB, 987x785
>>48150728
You did good.
>>
>>48150767
>>48150799
think that because they had invested so much time in the previous campaign, it seems like a good choice to let them do what fuckery they want to give their gear to their next character, not saying that it should be impossible or super easy for them to get it but it should be possible.

or if it makes sense from a story perspective, the player's next character is his previous character's son and that's why he has all this loot.
I think that makes for a much more compelling reason to not just keep playing in the same group but also be invested in the game more, because now the gear is not just here until after the last boss but it'll last further down the line aswell.
>>
>>48150666
Buy all of the stupid shit that I wouldn't let them have during the regular campaign for balance reasons.
>>
>>48150666
Hookers and blow, mostly
>>
>>48150666
Invest it in infrastructure. The pricks keep fixing every city they come across.
>>
File: Melee Droid.jpg (112 KB, 567x850) Image search: [Google]
Melee Droid.jpg
112 KB, 567x850
>>48150666
Well, Satan, my characters usually don't have an end where they can retire.

Either they spend it on armies, weapons, or research. Or whatever else they're into. None of my characters, to date, has wanted to settle down.
>>
>>48150728
>Try to money-launder it into their next characters.

>tfw I wrote in my character's will that his stuff be given to his brother.
>The brother is my backup character
I feel like cancer for doing this, but hey, I wrote a family into my backstory, so by the gods I'm going to use it!
>>
>>48150666
Whores.
>>
>>48151398
Unless GM uses it first.
But them's the brakes.
>>
>>48151424
It's a risk I'm willing to take
>>
>>48151432
>inb4: Brother lured by evil and becomes next antagonist. Still inherits all the fortune of original PC.
>>
>>48151398
>>Try to money-launder it into their next characters.
I did that once, successfully. Actually, more than once. But it was well justified.
>>
>>48151432
>Wills all his wealth and gear to his younger brother should he die.
>DM decides the younger brother started working with the BBEG because he was jealous of the PC and wanted to prove himself better.
>Younger Brother rises through the ranks and becomes the BBEG's right hand man.
>PCs break into BBEG's stronghold and are forced to fight both the BBEG and the younger brother.
>PCs are slain by BBEG.
>Will goes into effect and all the wealth is given to the younger brother.
>Next campaign, player decides he is playing his old chacters younger brother.
>Uses the younger brothers gear and the gear he gained via the Will and is now stronger than the BBEG.
>Younger Brother(PC) slays the BBEG and becomes new BBEG.
>Now playing Evil Campaign and rest of the group are the Younger Brother's advisers and partners.
>>
>>48150666
They intentionally crashed several economies and then used the resulting vacuum to kingmake themselves.
>>
I have run in a world where the players get to level 20 then retire to do something else. After that, we kick off in a world that was shaped by the previous groups actions.

About 2 campaigns in, they decided to start improving the local area with excess money. It started with an inn, last game there was a near tpk at level 6 so they took the party money and started a well equipped guard for the county sized area they started in.
>>
I make short-sighted and ultimately pointless economic decisions as a matter of habit, so... Solid gold ceremonial armor for me and my mount.
>>
Rope. My character preferred to handle enemies non-lethally whenever practical to do so, and so he made a point to carry rope around to restrain foes with. However, as he grew in level, enemies became stronger and stronger, being able to eventually burst it quite easily. After this happened several times, he got sick and tired of things and made it his personal mission to make the world's strongest rope. Drider silk, straight from the source. Cost a small fortune. He helped in the liberation of a steampunk kingdom from their corrupt government, asking for a spool of adamantium wire in lieu of his normal reward. He then journeyed back to his homeland, seeking out the mightiest of archmages to place the strongest protective spells they could muster on the rope.

And then when I missed a session due to personal issues, the rest of the party picked a fight with a literal goddess and got TPK'ed, causing the whole campaign to get called off.
>>
Find some shitty noble who only has daughters, marry into his family, begin using my wealth to finance the family's rise to power, and sire a whole slew of children. Make sure I institute Elective Monarchy, so that Gavelkind doesn't fuck me over and I get my best heir holding my titles.
>>
>>48154697
I can smell the CK2 from here.
>>
>>48150666
Get granted nobility titles and lands and discover what a ridiculous money-sink restoring it is, compared to adventuring. Especially since they're expected to produce taxes and the lands are kinda... run-down... after the campaign.
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 500x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 500x559
My Barbarian opened up and funded a dog shelter after looting an entire dragon's hoard. Spent a little on his equipment and made a deal with the chief treasurer to spend the rest on restoration and charity, following the war that has ravaged the land so that the people wouldn't be taxed as heavily. Wound up as poor as he was at the start, but did wonders for the Orcs' reputation in the land
>>
>>48150850
yeah but for that type of BS it has to be set up with the GM and worked into the campaign, otherwise you're like "guys, i found my brother's lost stuff" and then you get a power boost that might hurt the current story.

Because its not about the power, the DM can just make the monsters stronger or the stuff weaker, its more of an inconvenience than anything.
>>
My rogue is going to open his own shipbuilding company.

Assuming he survives and isn't possessed by a vengeful ancient dracolich.
>>
>>48152686
I'm sorry you didn't get to shibari a deity, Anon.

Now there's sentence I never expected to write.
>>
>>48158502
>letting that popular a public figure just roam around

What kind of retarded king? You get that Orc and you keep him close. Give him a job, like Champion of the King. Trot him out to the adoring peasantry. Use him to make you look good by proxy. Jesus fuck don't let him wander around unsupervised where he can be exploited by your rivals and enemies or worse, get idea's about being the king himself.

For good or ill, a man that popular cannot be free. He must become part of the dynasty, or martyred to cement it's legitimacy and power.

>>48150666
Anyway, my Half Orc mercenary settled down to open up a tavern after surviving to the ripe old age of 38. People come from all over to visit Rodagh Rotgut's Dead and Breakfast
>>
Current DM, previous player. Started dming a few weeks in to the new campaign as old DM was burnt out

my character had already become the duke of the city we spend most our time in, now hes official quest giver/mentor with tons of money
>>
>>48150799
> The spellbooks and treasure were dug up by the BBEG and the apprentice got robbed on day 1. Now their enemies have all the gear they tried to give to their successors.

IF the enemies are such JUST BECAUSE they took their stuff (and not actually already having enmity, I'm all in.

I mean, they can (and should) be bad guys in their own rights, but not ones that will actively seek to kill the PCs before they do something notable.

Furthermore, I would make the BBEGs sloppy, leaving some of the treasures behind (the pieces that are worth a bit less / escaped notice) and finding the caches an adventure by itself. And stuff they sell,be bought by NPCs they'll fight, at least in part.

And have them recognize their stuff.

That's a campaign I want in.
>>
>>48150666
>What happened to all the money you earned?
I'm an evoker, mate. I burn things. All things. You just don't understand.
>>
>>48150666
End?
>>
>>48150666
I thought it's for buying upgraded equipment and restocking on consumables.
>>
Usually the money is spent on building a stronghold, filling it with minions and the old characters become the next groups enemies.
>>
>>48165059
sounds boring
>>
Hookers.
Thousands of em.
Maybe more.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.