[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any trpgs that aren't exactly "rules lite",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1413683176165.jpg (57 KB, 800x624) Image search: [Google]
1413683176165.jpg
57 KB, 800x624
Are there any trpgs that aren't exactly "rules lite", but actually have short rulebooks and not thousands and thousands of words explaining irrelevant garble?
>>
File: Mythras Imperative Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mythras Imperative Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48147767
>>
>>48148282
>qwertyuiopas
>>
>>48147767
Twilight 2k (at least the first edition)
>>
>>48147767
bump for interest
>>
>>48149637

2nd Edition's better, but 2.2 broke it again.
Attributes are 1-10
Skills are 1-10, and cant exceed their governing atrribute.
An easy roll is twice your skill or less on d10. A difficult roll is half your skill or less.

Simple, elegant, easy to remember. Why they ditched it for some bastard hybrid of Mekton and d20, I'll never know.
>>
What do you consider irrelevant garble, OP? Weapons lists, examples of play, setting info?

WaRP is a little dated, but it's fairly straightforward.
>>
>>48153413

Long paragraphs explaining what role playing is and how to role play.
General fluff.
Shit like that.
>>
My system is like that, and most of the homebrew stuff on /tg/
>>
Videogames my dude.
>>
>>48147767
The most recent Gamma World is like 100-150 pages in more of a letter size, some of which is a scenario. Each of the two extra books are approximately the same.
>>
>>48153450
So, everything that's NOT the rules?
>>
>>48147767
Savage worlds is pretty good. The rules are concise and brief. You'll find it there is a rule for everything but it's single sentence.

Basic mechanics are dead simple as well. Your stat is the die type. Roll a 4 and you succeed. Roll a 8 or a higher and you succeed with a rise.
>>
>>48153450
You mean the first three pages everyone skips in every system book since the beginning of time? That's what's pissing you off?
>>
>>48147767
GURPS
>>
File: Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed summary.gif (4 MB, 8912x3283) Image search: [Google]
Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed summary.gif
4 MB, 8912x3283
>>48147767
Reign Enchiridion.
Fantasy. Best ten bucks you'll ever spend.

Dead of Night - $10
Flexible horror evergreen.

Fate Accelerated - free
Anything but gritty.

Don't Rest Your Head + Don't Lose Your Mind - $15
Probably the most well written game ever.
>>
>>48161766
Not OP, but a lot of books from first-time publishers have little editing oversight, and assume you want two paragraphs of lore to give context to every paragraph of rules.
>>
>>48161540
This, the explorer's edition is smaller than most books and less than a quarter of an inch thick, and their text isn't tiny, either (sorry I don't have a page count, as I'm at work). I recommend it highly.
>>
>>48161883
Who the fuck wants to play an RPG without lore?

>missing the point
>>
>>48161804

>DRYH and DLYM

But those have fluuuuuuuuuuff. Setting details are so annoying to have to read through
>>
>>48161956
People who want to build their own lore?
>>
>>48162032
You can ignore most of it. All you need is license to invent an anachronistic and dissonant urban mirror world. The setting of DRYH is meh by comparison. I don't use it except for describing far away politics.
>>
>>48153450
Lamentations of the Flame Princess has pretty minimal fluff. It's got a tad to explain some things, but it's mostly rules, prices, and the spell list
>>
>>48162032
So you just want to roll dice with no context?
>>
>>48147767
Shadow of the Demon Lord isn't that short, but it is a all-in one book including enough material for planning several campaigns with rather simple rules.
>>
test
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.