[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MH RP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: mhfu.jpg (58 KB, 450x217) Image search: [Google]
mhfu.jpg
58 KB, 450x217
I was trying to find a suitable system to run a MH game, ifound a D&D5 module on lelditt but it's not what i'm looking for.
What i want is a game much closer to the videogame, i have a couple of ideas on how to deal with carving, crafting and upgrading making it pretty much like the game only easier (to take out grinding since that could result in boring sessions without a real feel of progression by the players).
Classes will be based on the weapon one intends to use the most with a tiered system of abilities (something like the SW rpgs from FFG) with the possibility to multiclass in other weapon trees.
I've yet to decide what to do with the combat system and it's the biggest part of the game so i'm kind of on hold because of that.
What do?
>>
Strike! has a pretty simple combat system; you can just make the weapon the class/role of the character (or tie one of it to the character, or have only feats tied to the character... lots of options there), have better materials for crafting act as leveling up in the weapon's class. It even has ideas for "elemental wheel" kind of stuff.

Even if you don't take anything else from it, it's worth a look.
>>
>>48139858
interested on how you can capture the Mh feel in RP, MH is a pretty combat based game and i wonder how well that would translate into a pen and paper - considering sitting and saying "i hit the rathalos with my weapon" for 30 odd turns would get very boring
>>
>>48140844
Exactly why a good combat system is important.

But yeah, you'll probably want something interesting to happen aside from Monster Hunting. If not saving the world just one-upping the other guild.

>>48140034
Have a PDF

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116
>>
>>48140844
OP here, i had a couple ideas while i was out:
I was thinking of making weapon skill trees made of traits that unlock various moves or enhancements so if you just started out you can unlock some basic moves with the exp you are given and as you progress you unlock more asvanced moves and weapon stances. Then in combat you have a limited amount of actions you can do in a turn based on how big/small and slow/fast is the weapon you're using (say something like 4 moves for slow weapons like lances, gs or hammers, 6 for medium weapons like switchaxe in axe mode or ls and 8 for fast weapons like s&s or ds) then you use the actions you have to make a combo with the moves you know, obviously only some moves can be chained with some other moves to make a combo.
You may also use an action to roll instead and position yourself better or to get out of the way, you can also spend actions to move but that will cost half of your actions.
When you have established what moves you are gonna use you roll to hit for each move and roll the location based on your position relative to the monster and the type of attack you're doing.
>>
>>48141053
Weapons will have a fixed amount of damage so the game doesn't turn into a dicefest, weapons will also have a sharpness value that works like a weapon's hps, if an attac connects you compare your weapon sharpness with the location hit, if it's higher you do your weapon damage to that monster part and his hp if you dont you bounce, do little to no damage and your weapon has a chance of breaking (loosing a lot of sharpness in one go) anyway a point of sharpness is lost for each attack that connects.
When enough damage is done to a specific monster location it breaks and deals some extra damage to the monster hp.
As of monster attacks i was thinking of using either a card system where the monster executes a random attack based on the hunter's position (say you are under a Rathian, she will either make a tailsweep, take off or a backflip), the monster doesn't have to roll to hit, instead the players must roll a reflex save (or something like that) and roll away in safety using stamina based on how many rolls they have to do or how much they have to run to avoid the attack, if they are too close they must do the superman dive and they will lose their next turn standing up, if they do too many rolls or run too much they will consume all their stamina and must rest for the rest of the turn.

Those are the ideas i have at the moment, if someone feels like adding something or commenting on the stuff i just wrote, please share it with me.
>>
>>48140948
>http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116
Thanks that will give me some more ideas on how to deal with combat
>>
>>48140844
>"i hit the rathalos with my weapon" for 30 odd turns would get very boring

Fast solution? Don't use combat systems that have only one way to use weapons. If the only way to attack is to say "I attack" within the system, you would of course have a boring game. You only have 1 way of interacting with the enemy.

It'd be like if you made a game about spellcasters but the only spell in the game was magic missile.
>>
>>48141237
Good point. I thin TDE had something like this. You can simply attack with a weapon, but you can also choose to swing the weapon with more force (to cause more damage) at the price of some penalties... If I remember correctly...
Combat is much more stratigic this way... and much more complex
>>
>>48139858
Can we make this a Monster Hunter Homebrew Disscussion? I have wanted a game like this for so long, it would be awsome if this could be another glorious example of /tg/ getting shit done
>>
File: cute_wyverns.jpg (11 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cute_wyverns.jpg
11 KB, 500x375
>>48141607
Sure, go ahead, we could make some brainstorming on how to make MH his own little system

I think a d100 similar to the 40k rpgs would suit it well, stats could be:
Close Combat
Ranged Combat
Strenght - determines how much stamina you have and your carry weight (to carry eggs, rocks and small monsters/players) and can be used to jump, fall and climb
Toughness - determines your hps and you resistances to climate (hot, cold, rain) and harmful conditions (stun, paralysys, sleep, poison, freezing, mud)
Cunning - determines your chance to find weakspots, your knowledge of monsters and your ability with traps and to not get spotted
Willpower - determines wether or not you will panic roll or panic run could also be used to react to stuff like rolling or guarding at the last seconds after an all out attack

skills could be:
specific weapon skills
traps
crafting
evasion
athletics
specific monster knowledge
gathering (maybe)

and so on
>>
>>48141756
I think the most important partis obviously combat. You want to have the combat as versitile as possible. You don't have much in the way of magic or the like in MH, you got weapons.
Sticking close to the source material, every weapon should have different weapon manoveurs that can be performed that all have different implications for combat. I'm still trying to come up with good examples, buuuut for example, with a gunlance you can stab, you can fire and you can unload (causing a massive explosion). You also have different defensive manoveurs like dodging or blocking with your shield in the case of the gunlance.
What these Moves are and if you have them available from the outset is a thing that should be debated
>>
>>48141756
>>48142183
Maybe it is a good Idea to have all the weapon moves available, but give a penalty on the attack roll for certain moves. Like, stabbing with the gunlance is fairly easy since you just gonna thrust the lance infront of you. Firing is a bit harder since you also have to take into account the recoil that is caused so the roll has a negative modifier (in other words, it is harder to land a successful hit) while unloading is anouther deal because of the the fact you have to charge up the attack so you have to have the right timing to know when to hit and the recoil is tremendous so the roll is even harder.
Skilled hunter (aka people with a higher skill value with that weapon) know how shit's done so their roll is easier from the outset (because of the higher Skillvalue) while newcomers and people who pick up this weapon for the first time won't have it so easy (because of the lower skill value)
>>
>>48139858
You should probably look at Generations, which is gonna release next week. It changes the crafting system to kinda eliminate the grinding.

Instead of making new weapons, you now kinda level them up. For example, if you use dragon parts to get to level 2, the weapons gains fire attack. If you use Narga parts it gains affinity, etc. This should make an intiutive system in a TTRPG. Players can decide what build they want, research wich monster possesses those traits and then go hunting for them.

Combat is more tricky. In Monster Hunter and similiar games like Dark Souls, all actions are split into Wind-Up, Action and Recovery. You usually try to fit your entire action into the enemy's Recovery or that + your escape into their Wind-Up.

Not really sure how to handle that in a TTRPG. Maybe you have cards that represent each move that X seconds to execute. The monsters would have way longer preperations for their moves, but also more impact. You would then try to chain as many moves as possible together while the enemy makes their move. Such a combat system would make for very slow combat and require precise measurement of positions and the like, especially if you try to incorporate the hit zone system.

So maybe it would be better to change the focus to the tactical scope. Bringing the right equipment and items, party formation, preparing the area of the fight, finding the right moment to use items, etc.
>>
File: mhrpg.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
mhrpg.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48142295
>>48142183
What do you think so far? These are the bases, i'm not sure if i want to add more key stats or skills but if you got any suggestions just say it and i will see what can be done.
Also i want weapon skill trees to be detailed and fun with some basic attacks that branch into more difficult and fancy attacks and simple combos that branch into more complex combos having the attacks that are used as prerequisites
>>
File: hitbox.png (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hitbox.png
10 KB, 480x360
>>48142481
As of hitboxes and such i was thinking of using something like this
>>
File: Combos.png (19 KB, 1086x752) Image search: [Google]
Combos.png
19 KB, 1086x752
>>48142481
After reading the thread, here's another idea on the cards:

For each Move you know, you get a card. The card shows the attack value, stamina cost, etc. But it also has an In and Out that shows how you can chain your moves together. An upward swing for example starts at a Low position and ends in at High. If you want to do the same move again, you need to take your blade back down first. A downward swing could be added quicker.

So in combos, the player character has a Position. Moves can only be used if you're in one of their In positions and change your Position to their Out Position. But you can also use all moves from the Default Position and players can always spend one Action to go into that Position.

Some move have special requirements, like "takes of two Actions", "can only be used as 3rd move in a combo or later" or "take -2 to your next dodge roll". Moves can also have multiple Ins or Outs, like a special horizontal swing that doesn't care wether you're going left or right. Some finishers just have no Out Position, so you are forced to go back to Default.

Now this sounds complicated, but in praxis it would look like pic related. Players assess the combat situation and build the right move for the situation. If you add movement to your moves the players would also need to take into account what the rest of the party does so you don't blockade each other.

>>48142769
That looks okay, but if your smallest unit is 1 Human it might become difficult to represent everything accurately. And if you go smaller, thins will go clunky.
>>
>>48142533
Not bad actually. I mean it is very basic but not bad. I think with these kinda rules (and because positioning and the likes is very important) it probably works best as a Tabletop game with miniatures.
We should definately think about how to make the combat flow. What could happen is that combat drags on for too long and is not engaging enough.
Let's think about all the important bits the combat for a Monster Hunter Game needs.
I came up with something like this:
- Different Weapons have different attacks and playstyles and not just different stats
- Positioning should be very important. Monsters have different Hitzones and weakspots, at the same time some places around the monster can be dangerous (Like right infront of the thing)
- Players should be able to utilize the enviroment in some way in combat
- Items are always a risky endevour in the middle of a fight
- Going all out with your attacks might leave you with a fireball to your face

Combat should be designed around these things
>>
>>48142769
>>48143484
At this point, It'd be really really cool if there were Monster Hunter minatures. Well, I guess a crude Papercraft Model for the Monsters and Paperstandups or something for Hunters would be pretty cool already... like those Chibi40k Thingies I saw a while back
>>
>>48142919
Hmm... it might just be too slow of a system. It is a neat idea but it might just be too slow.

Representing the Units on the board in Units that would fit Humans would make a lot of sense however. There is not much that is smaller than a human when it comes to creatures and what is smaller (Shakalaka, Felyne, Vespoids, Jaggi, etc...) can easily fit a single Unit. I think Humans are quite the good scale to meassure... but I agree. Going Smaler would be clunky
>>
I think we should take a similiar approach as the Dark Souls boardgame: Stamina is a ressource you spend for your attacks and evasion. You need to balance offence and defence or you'll thrown around the field.

>>48142769
Another take on hitboxes:

Movement is based on a hexagonal grid. Different moves hit different areas, move you around, etc.
Monsters have hit zones. You note in which zone the monsters take damage and when a threshold is reached, the monster gains a debuff. Leg broken, the monster now moves slower and evading it's charge attack becomes easier.

To make hitzones more accurate, each hexagon is also divided into six triangles. Most of the time, they don't matter at all. You can have multiple hit zones within one hexagon. Any move that hits that hexagon is applied to the hit zone that takes the most triangles in that hexagon. However, players can make a more difficult role instead to aim for one of the other hitzones involved.

>>48143518
There are various figures for both Monster Hunter and other games in the genre. You can also make tokens with images you find on the internet.

But I think we should not make the game specifically about Monster Hunter, but rather about the genre of killing big shit. I mean we should still work with it's mechanics, but copying all skills and monsters 1:1 when you can't translate them perfectly to tabletop anyway seems superflous.
>>
File: HexGridMH.png (131 KB, 1220x1135) Image search: [Google]
HexGridMH.png
131 KB, 1220x1135
>>48143728
Damn it, forgot pic.
>>
>>48143692
>it might just be too slow of a system

Alternative suggestion: Players can use the card system to craft their own special moves the way you would craft spells in other systems.

You would simplify the moves a bit and allow players to bring 3-4 custom moves to supplement the standard attack set of their weapon.
>>
>>48143484
Yeah that's what i was trying to concieve with the pdf, as you can see you must be cautious while spending APs and stamina since if you run out you can't dodge away and you'll get hit so you can't go all out on attack, and notice also how seathing the weapon to drink a potion is a very costly action. Still the AP system i made was made on the go so i would like some feedback on how i could make it better.

The idea of having monster's and hunter's attacks written up on cards could be really handy and the idea to put colored sides to connect those cards into combos is also something clever i didn't think about. Now i only need time to think and write up all the weapon movesets, the tables to roll hit locations (i'm gonna make something on the lines of battletech for these) and a rudimental AI for the monster moveset. For the latter i was thinking of having a card describing more than one attack, each one related to a different position/situation so you can pick wich one the monster will use based on the situation, this way we can add attacks that make a certain area a lot more dangerous than others.
>>
>>48143728
It worked for Pokemon, why shouldn't work for Monster Hunter.
The thing with Monster Hunter (especially in regards to Monsters) is there is a ton of stuff already out there that you can base the game on and expand from the Ideas. Like, I have played Monster Hunter eversince the first game hit the PS2 and loved the series since. Monster Hunter might not have an epic story or something of that sort, but it has the atmosphere that captured my imagination from the second I went out into Forest and Hills for the first time. It's just... you know... The feeling of being on the Hunt, hunting for dragons and stuff out in the wild, laying traps, tracking the beast down, planning your every move... It is amazing.
I kinda wish for this to have the same relationship with Monster Hunter as Pokemon Tabletop Unite has with the Pokemon Games. PTU faithfully recreates the mechanics of the games, but doesn't stop there and use these mechanics as a base to build upon. Thats kinda the thing I want.
Like, I could play MOnster Hunter, run into the field, kick some Rathalos Ass with my giant ass sword and thats that, or I could get immersed in the setting, use my cunning and skills to track the beast down and BE the Hunter. TTRPGs let you do that, Videogames rarely.
>>
>>48143746
I like it, it works a lot better than squares
>>
>>48143984
I agree. The first thing we want to do is create a combat system that let's you not just fight, but also hunt. Something that shows how big and diverse these creatures are. Something were just going out into the wild is a real adventure.

Once that is done, we can do some wordbuilding. Most of it will be monster/environment design, but GMs can add flavor as they like.
>>
>>48143859
Also on each card we could put an image showing wich hex/squares a monster will be attacking with that attack
>>
File: hexes.png (79 KB, 1469x1369) Image search: [Google]
hexes.png
79 KB, 1469x1369
Each numbered zone has a table to roll wich location that could be hit:
1 head, body
2 head, body, wings
3 body, wings
4 body, wings, legs
5 body, legs, tail
6 tail
the red and teal zones are for monster attacks
>>
It's belated, but I once threw together a very simple proof-of-concept of a single player monster hunter game. Basic idea is that there's no to-hit or anything, all attack would hit specific squares/hexes/whatever, guaranteed. You have the same move selection as in the games and every action lasts a certain period of time using a tick-based system like Exalted. Player would need to time their moves and where they would hit, like the games, to sync up to the monster movements.
Monsters would work the exact same way - every attack hits places guaranteed, tick-time, etc. - but instead of choosing how they function each turn, you randomise the actions like how it works in the games via a spinner, dice, deck of cards, random number generator, whatever, and choose 'it is now doing this attack/pattern/movement'. Just threw something together with Velocidrome/prey and a longsword hunter, from what I remember. Simple and stupid but seemed pretty workable.
>>
>>48143859
I know, I was just making that list to have it written down. Writting down design principles is kinda important.
The Cardthing could work really well for Monsterattacks that way because it helps with simplifying the random elements of the Monsterattacks. I would have put it in tables, but that could get really convoluted really quick.
I still don't think that it is that is the best Idea to put the hunterattacks into cards because it could be cumbersome and drag out combat too much, I could be mistaking however and it could really simplify everything.... well it certainly would if you want to make some sort of combosystem where flowcharts and tables would be the other option.
I don't know. We should look more into that
>>
>>48143984
>It worked for Pokemon, why shouldn't work for Monster Hunter.
There is so much wrong with this sentence.
>>
>>48139858
Putting aside the combat system for the moment:

GUILD

POLITICS

Seriously, the Monster Hunter games imply so much more depth than they actually give you. There's this huge fucking world full of monsters and elder monsters who can cause damage on an almost continental scale, humans with the blood of dragons who are intrinsically better than regular humans, and this guild who has essentially full control over this faction of demigods.
>>
I've been trying to create a Monster Hunter RP as well for the last half year but It's been difficult coming up with a combat system as I only have experience with Black Crusade and DnD.

>All I have are tangent thoughts with no one to bounce ideas with.

I really like Black Crusades D`100, "weapon skill/ballistic skill" test for rolling "to hit" equal to, or under your score,
>i.e. Ws/Bs 60
> < 60 = HIT
> > 60 = Miss

and their "Degrees of Success",
>for every "20s" place between your roll and target number(?) needed, cause an increased or decreased effect on the result.

Modifiers like being just out of range, or too close can cause penalties to the "Hit" score needed.

input over.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.