[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
backstories and no backstories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1453337168151.jpg (355 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453337168151.jpg
355 KB, 1920x1080
What system would you guys use for players who dont like making backstories or characters with purpose? My play group plays primarily pathfinder and WoD, and one of our players,we'll call him "Joe", never makes backstories and always thinks they are a hassle. I tried introducing my group to FATE and they all really like it except for "Joe", he doesnt like how making a backstory is required for every character, even though the backstory is actually a mechanical advantage rather then "just a story".

tl:dr - what table top system would you guys use for someone who doesn't like making backstories for ANY of their characters.

Pic somewhat related? all he ever plays are melee based characters, and just recently we convinced him to play casters he has done this for 5 years
>>
>>48139276
He's shit

Tell him to make a goddamn backstory
>>
>>48139276

I'd kick him from the group for being a boring cunt
>>
>>48139384
I'd take no backstory over Mary Sue novella backstory any day. It wouldn't be an automatic kick for me.
>>
>>48139276
Since Joe is too good to make a backstory, use his other characters as his backstory. Like a man trapped in an endless cycle of reincarnation through different planes.
>>
>>48139333
to put it simply, hes the type of person who stopped watching a first episode STRICTLY because a 2D animal was hurt

>>48139384
normally i would but ive known him for 13+ years and hes been gaming for 5. good person, but it would literally be me vs the other 4-5 members of our group

i would have thought he would ENJOY FATE because its literally "make anything you want, seriously" but he just doesnt want to make anything, like he comes up with skills, and character concept, but when it comes to backstory, he just stops trying, even when we tell him that "your concept INVOLVES your backstory" he doesn't have any of it
>>
>>48139451
i did try that once to a certain extent, he told us one time that one of the reasons why he doesnt tend to make backstories is because "i like to be my character" which was a massive redflag to me, so our next campaign we had he allowed me to make his character and i made him play as himself, yea ill admit it was a dick move, and a complete THAT DM moment, but i tried to teach him that its no fun to play yourself in a game where you can literally be anything
>>
>>48139276
(±)
>>
>>48139276
It's really hard to offer advice without knowing the concrete situation. Maybe try asking him to put down a few bullet points about his character's past? Failing that, play Traveller, Mechwarrior, or something else with a background path creation system so that backstory is generated automatically.
>>
>>48139276
40k (mainly Dark Heresy), since players can have the barest of backstory.
the group that I play with (online) almost never make backstory, leaving me with the only one with explanation of what he did before recruitment to party.
character flesh is often done through failure of rolls or random lolz
ex. Female psyker with high charisma, fails all the rolls for it during investigation/interaction, DM: "she sneers at them and calls them peasants"
good times
>>
I don't like to make backstories because it's more satisfying to develop the character and their goals based on what happens in the campaign, rather than whatever bullshit I came up with beforehand.

That said, it sounds like he just wants to play the same character over and over again, regardless of what happens. He's probably not going to change his mind if he's still doing it five years later.
>>
You have four other players. I don't see what the big deal is.
>>
File: olj.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
olj.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Play a game of one last job with him, it's no "real" rpg but relies heavily on building a backstory while playing the story. And it's f u n
>>
Dark Heresy has a helluva lot of tables you can just roll on to get more or less all about a character
>>
>>48141094
Rogue Trader literally has you go down a chart.

You can make a character with an entire life of backstory without even connecting the gaps.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.