[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/EMN/ Eldritch Moon Spoilers general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
File: Deploy the Gatewatch.png (174 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
Deploy the Gatewatch.png
174 KB, 265x370
GATEWATCH ASSEMBLE
>>
>>48137565
How in God's name is this not green?
Why does it cost fucking 6?
>>
>>48138235
It's white because Gideon made the last planeswalker tutor and its six mana because you could grab up to I don't know how much mana worth of planeswalkers if you're making that kind of deck.
>>
>>48138290
If we're talking Christmasland, the best value you can get out of it is 16CMC worth of planeswalkers for 4WW, with Ugin and Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>48138290
But Deploy the Gatewatch isn't a full tutor like Call of the Gatewatch is. It works similar to Oath of Nissa.
>>
>>48138347
Or you could get one Chandra and stills be doing good. Or get a Gideon you wouldn't have drawn in four turns. Or nothing. Really depends on how serious you are about this planeswalker deck.
>>
>>48137565
This is a mediocre card. If it dumped the cards in the yard and was black, it'd be top tier. If it did exactly the same thing and was green or blue, it'd be amazing. Because its white, it's relegated exclusively to janky commander decks and pay to win bullshit that will need a couple more formats to fully realize itself.
>>
>>48137565
Someone is gonna break the fuck outta this in a week, tops.
>>
Continuing the artist debate

A lot of artists are quitting MTG. Mohrbacher stopped, for example, and he was one of the better ones.

They really need to get their head out their ass and start offering actually decent licensing deals to the artists
>>
>>48138574
He was one of my favorite artists too
I blame hasbro, didn't used to be like this
>>
Total cost to use:
>$80 for one play set of decently competitive standard planeswalker.
>$25 for one play set of a planeswalker you enjoy but it sees no competetive play.
>$150 for the other planeswalkers and spicing up the mana base with bfz and soi dual lands.
>$8 for a play set of this.
Total: $263
Actual value: nothing at all, go upgrade some budget decks with the stuff you bought and cut your losses.
>>
File: Topplegeist.jpg (558 KB, 900x678) Image search: [Google]
Topplegeist.jpg
558 KB, 900x678
>>48138583
Maybe with the new change in licensing that allows artists to print playmats and sleeves of their own card art will change something but I don't know. Mohrbacher was pretty pissed that WOTC licensed his art to Ultra Pro for mad dosh and he saw none of that money

I just want my Topplegeist playmat goddammit
>>
File: Dutiful Return.jpg (97 KB, 960x723) Image search: [Google]
Dutiful Return.jpg
97 KB, 960x723
>>48138633
>Seb McKinnon will never be contracted to make a planeswalker in his signature style

Why even live
>>
>>48138650
Maybe an alternate art in a supplementary product? hopehopehopehopehopeanon. hope.
>>
>>48138633
I just want a playmat that just has the Magic logo and set colors of one of my favorite sets. Can't into graphic design, so can't do it custom.
>>
File: Erdwal Illuminator.jpg (842 KB, 1000x754) Image search: [Google]
Erdwal Illuminator.jpg
842 KB, 1000x754
>>48138668
Maybe the new planeswalker decks?

He did get to make the WMCQ promo
>>
>>48138697
>you think the geist led you under this bridge to show you the treasure
>he's actually trying to make you notice the Emrakul latice tree roots in the lower right corner
>>
>>48138574
It's because Hasbro treat their artists like shit. Shit pay, shit job security, lack of artistic freedom, and you don't even own your own art. Look at this shit >>48138633
Doesn't help that Wizards feel the need to add this terrible card filter on cards like Topplegeist and Oracle of Dust, making them look way worse in the card image.
>>
>>48138633
I play topplegeist, I didn't know he had eyes. Why did they put all the candelabras everywhere in the foreground? It's suck a waste.
>>
>>48138733
>lack of artistic freedom

I don't know about that - the blurbs they get that describe what they should be drawing are pretty open, and from what I can tell from the interviews the artists get to collaborate on the style guide.

I think the main issues are the money and the licensing deals the artists get.
>>
>>48138668
>>48138650
I would buy a playset if he ever did an alternate version of Liliana the Veil.
>>
File: Odunos River Trawler.jpg (63 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
Odunos River Trawler.jpg
63 KB, 500x365
>>48138788
I am buying one of every single he made

Fucking Vintage Masters why are you online-only
>>
The planeswalker intro packs, including all walkers printed in them as well as their unique support cards will all be standard legal, correct?

How many planeswalker will we end up getting per block then? 8?
>>
>>48138906
Yeah but the intro packs will probably suck ass.
>>
>>48138347
I was dicking around with a standard meme deck consisting of only Deploy the Gatewatch, a Various number of the Jacetice League PWs, and a various number of their oaths. Hit Jace and Chandra, and actually won a game like this.
>>
>>48138906
They've never gone on record as to how many intro packs there will be per set, but I imagine at least two. So that makes at least nine planeswalkers per block.

They said the intro pack ones won't be aggressively costed and intended for casual play but with that amount of inflation in planeswalker numbers it's only a matter of time before a busted one is printed
>>
>>48138938
Based on how Wizards have described it... yeah. They make it sound like the planeswalkers will be gimped on purpose so they would see play only in casual and kitchen table play.
>>
>>48138956
Well if the cost is going to be the issue instead of their abilities then guess what! Just cheat them on the fucking board with >>48137565
>>
>>48138574
>>48138583
I don't blame Hasbro itself, Hasbro spends a lot of money on marketing and key art for IPs they oversee directly.
It's WotC, they got filled by "new blood", even made an article celebrating how most of the executive roles were now taken by women sometime around RTR (coincidentally soon before ORI development). Soon after we got a lot of milennial shitheads as webmasters or PR, forums closed, website nuked, diversity pandering, a sickening obsession with selling the IP to Hollywood and on art itself Jeremy Jarvis is still the lead art director but it is said that he's being smotheringly micro-managed by branding and merchandising to make art as inoffensive and streamlined as possible.

Mohrbacher, Schimmer and others left not because of money itself, but because they were being asked to produce art unlike what they where hired for and Mohrbacher particularily got mad because his Therosian gods designs were being used in products other than the card game and accessories without giving him any sort of royalties.
Other games like Legend of the Cryptids or Hearthstone pay nearly the same with way less micromanaging and actually pay you if your art gets used in anything additional to the game itself.
>>
>>48138788
I really want MM3's Liliana art to be made by him, Karla Ortiz or Winona Nelson.
Argyle's art looks ok when you see it on a computer but the actual card is probably they ugliest Liliana has ever looked.
>>
>>48139033
>argyle's art looks ok

Hahahaah no
>>
We will never have another good plot while Gatewatch exists. Gatewatch managed to fuck up Innistrad, their best plot in years.

I have absolutely 0 hope for steampunk india, unless they print designated shitting street as a rare land.
>>
>>48138715
>what a nice guy
Oh yeah! I forgot the geists were putting up a decent resistance against Emrakul.
>>
>>48139098

Maybe it'll just be Chandra?
>>
File: Maro_Says_01.png (9 KB, 692x252) Image search: [Google]
Maro_Says_01.png
9 KB, 692x252
>>48139098
>>
File: Von_Karma_Breakdown_3.gif (7 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Von_Karma_Breakdown_3.gif
7 KB, 256x192
>>48139235
>>
>>48139235
Someone should ask him who's dick Jace sucked to make this all work.
>>
>>48139235
The really irritates me since we will never have stories like the original Ravnica block or Dark-Fallen Empires-Ice Age cycle.
>>
At first I had hopes the demon Withengar would make a return after being released from Elbrus back in DA. But now it seems my hopes have been crushed
>>
File: khamal.png (361 KB, 525x297) Image search: [Google]
khamal.png
361 KB, 525x297
>>48139264
or odyssey

man odyssey was a breath of fresh air
>>
>>48139271
Has there been any Demon cards spoiled in EDM or better yet, Eldrazi Demons?

>>48139235
To add insult to injury, it's not just any Planeswalker, but specifically a member of the Gatewatch meaning that any other existing or new Planeswalker will get the short end of the stick storywise.
>>
File: coldrim-1439708138.jpg (242 KB, 1551x1080) Image search: [Google]
coldrim-1439708138.jpg
242 KB, 1551x1080
Guys, guys...

I really want a BG delirium deck to be a thing but I know it won't be.

Why is WOTC so cruel to player who like BG or Jund in standard.
>>
>>48139327
You have your 20 € mythic
>>
File: 01658434.jpg (64 KB, 600x438) Image search: [Google]
01658434.jpg
64 KB, 600x438
>>48139235
Please stop killing Magic
>>
>>48139315
Not a single demon yet
>>
>>48139235
It'd be one thing if they were just showing up, but protagonist just makes it annoying.

We'll never focus on anyone else and have the Gatewatch member show up as a side thing.
>>
>>48139335
It's not that great. Trying to get delirium online takes time that OP uses to have bord advantage or remove my 9 eur(20$ is the us insane price) mythic.

I didn't even pre order that card since I see more chances of a BG deck with Emmy to be a thing than a deck with delirium and that BG mythic.
>>
>>48138715
I never noticed that.

I liked that geist already, but now we can truly be friends.
>>
>>48139235
Surely the casual audience of Magic will get tired of the Jacestice League at some point right?

right? ;_;
>>
>>48139358
I wouldn't mind if a member of the Gatewatch made a cameo appearance every block with a occasional block once in a while centered around them to progress their story. Having them be the protagonist of EVERY block is a bit too much and I this is coming from a person that doesn't hate most of the members of the Gatewatch.
>>
>>48139371
*board
>>
File: Kaladesh.jpg (142 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kaladesh.jpg
142 KB, 675x1200
>>48139220
Nah, apparently the Gatewatch is going there to check out the fair.
>>
File: 3101231.jpg (50 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
3101231.jpg
50 KB, 507x338
>>48139235
>tfw horrendously fucking bored of the Gatewatch already
>>
>>48139401
Agreed. That would be totally fine. I like most of the members, but I just know that I'm going to get utterly sick of them within a few blocks.
>>
>>48139416
>They're just going on vacation

What even? I had assumed Chandra was just going there to find some closure.
>>
>>48138987
Got a link to the article? I'm not getting anything out of Google.
>>
>>48139220
I wish we could go to 2020 india alone, no gatekeepers only streetshitters.
>>
>>48139416
Fucking Thopters.
>>
>>48137565
>Gideon and Liliana may not have seen eye to eye, but that did not stop them from fighting side by side
GIDEON x LILIANA CONFIRMED
>>
>>48139416
>In this weeks episode of mtg, Jace and his wacky palls go to the local fair! Nothing could go wrong on this beautiful day!
>Meanwhile in the Legion of Doom...
>>
>>48139440
Chandra goes there for vacation
Being dense, Gideon goes there to relax because he thinks that's what Chandra is doing
Nissa wants to keep bonding with world souls
Jace goes there to make sure the three of them don't do anything stupid
Lili goes because it's not like she likes Jace or anything, she just knows he'd probably get hurt if she didn't, b-baka.
>>
>>48139416
>Hey so we sealed Emrakul in the moon, good job guys
>But Lili's got this cursed veil thing we should probably look into
>And Nahiri absconded away without getting her revenge, maybe we should find her before she unleashes more monstrosities on Innistrad
>Or worse, our planes
>Also we might want to check in with Ugin to tell him what happened so he can do something? I mean he's the eldrazi expert

>Sorry man there's this sci-fi expo at Chandra's and I already got tickets for all of us
>>
>>48139478
For Closure, not vacation
But I'm sure that she's going to have some hand in the Aether Revolt.
>>
>>48139235
That's the worst thing ever. Why? Are they specifically targeting children and retards or something?
>>
>>48139416
>alright our duty as members of the Gatewatch is to literally protect every single plane of existence from every threat imaginable
>Eh but fuck it there's a fair at sci-fi India we don't have anything better to do
>Hey Jace aren't you like some sort of Guild thing? Don't you have something to do with that? You haven't been to Ravnica in awhile
>Wait did we ever catch Nahiri...or Ob Nixilis?
>EH FUCK IT

I can tell the writing is gonna be fantastic already
>>
>>48139495
Avengers superhero movie bandwagon.
>>
>>48139487
>Sorin doesn't bother explaining anything to Jace
>Or Anyone
>So when they find Nahiri, they automatically assume Sorin's at fault
>They offer her membership in the gatewatch
>Her quote is just smug as fuck.
>>
>>48139494
So the first set is going to be setting up Kaladesh, and the second is probably going to be a bunch of nature lovers trying to overthrow the government's grip on aether and mana production.

Probably going to be some environmental thing based on the set symbol being a flower. I'm willing to bet Nissa jumps on board and Chandra helps out because she wants payback on the establishment.

So the second set focuses on that revolution, which will also get resolved in the same set, so it'll probably end up feeling rushed and unsatisfactory.
>>
>>48139538
Apparently Sorin gets turned into a statue or something
>>
>>48139536
But that's retarded, it would have been hip before batman vs superman killed the whole genre.

Then again, maybe it'll be like Captain America: Civil War and we'll have Tayimo, Sorin, Liliana and Tibault? vs Jace, Gideon, Nissa and Chandra. Could be neat, maybe.
>>
>>48139416
Is this a fucking anime?
>>
>>48139559
Tamiyo is done until Kamigawa at the earliest.

>>48139564
Yes.
>>
>>48139528
Seriously. Why do they have such a problem with just splitting up the Gatewatch?

Send Jace and Lili back to Ravnica for a while, so Jace can get his affairs in order and Lili can brief him on what demons they have to kill. Have Gideon and Nissa out looking for Ob or Nahiri. Then have Chandra by herself on Kaladesh taking a bit of a breather, calling for help if she needs it.

Or they could have even not had Gideon or Chandra show up on Innistrad to help out, and have them be busy on Kaladesh dealing with the Aether revolt. Have things happen simultaneously in order to give a reason why they don't just show up and curbstomp everything.
>>
>>48139536
I hope the movie bombs enough so that they can stop focusing on the Jacetice League.
>>
>>48139528
First set is Chandra and Gideon going to Kaladesh, Chandra is going for closure but Gideon thinks it is a date.
Jace is on Ravnica catching up on paperwork
Lili is creating more for him by killing people in order to reduce the paperwork
Nissa is bonding with the soul of Innistrad which replenishes the once extinct Innistradi elves.
Second set comes and shit is going down
So Gideon takes out his magical gatewatch conch and blows into it.
We get scenes across the multiverse of members of the gatewatch hearing the call and planeswalking to Kaladesh.
No one knows where Gideon got the conch, but it does get a legendary artifact.
>>
File: 1398909000132.gif (104 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1398909000132.gif
104 KB, 500x280
>>48139548
>Sorin literally becomes Kars
>>
>>48139559
I never said their decisions aren't retarded.
>>
>>48139235
>>48139246
>>48139264
>>48139315
>>48139343
>>48139358
>>48139394
>>48139420
>>48139495
these companies are a business first and a hobby second, everything they do is to maximise profit, this is just what happens.

im sure if we were to crunch the sales numbers we would find that planeswalkers are the most popular cards and are in high demand. the crowd that plays magic competitively and just wants whatever card is good does not represent the majority of magic players. this is exactly whats happening with warhammer right now, casuals are always going to be catered to because they bring in the most revenue.
>>
>>48139582
>>48139591
>Gideon and Chandra on Kaladesh
>Jace and Lili on Ravnica
>Nissa staying back on Innistrad to wrap things up

Too bad this makes sense, so we know what plot setup they aren't doing.
>>
>>48139559
Market research happens before the product is made. Most everything you consume is on some degree of culture lag. Throw in MtG's dev cycle, and now you're dealing with cultural trends from 2-3 years ago. They finally caught up with Hollywood's "rehash everything" trend by remaking the three most popular planes, and fucking up two of them.
>>
When are we getting the Evil-Gatewatch of Tibalt, Ob Nix, Nahiri, Garruk, Tezzeret and Nicol Bolas?

They can have their stupid fucking evil-oath where they pledge to be supervillians forever
>>
>>48139635
Garruk isn't even a villain though. He just got fucked over badly.
>>
Realistically, how likely is the white/black card to be the missing Angel sister?
>>
>>48139612
Yeah, sure, planeswalkers are popular, but that doesn't mean we need the same planeswalkers every block.

Nothing wrong with having the focus be on a native and having a member of the gatewatch show up to help them instead of being the center of attention.

Heck, they even have those new Planeswalker intro boxes. Just make it so those cards are standard legal, and come out with new ones every so often to keep the Gatewatch in standard so casuals can use them. Hell, that offers a great alternative to their core set problem, since they can also throw in whatever standard staples they want to have without needing to waste space reprinting them every other block.
>>
>>48139656
Seeing how Nahiri is a villian now, Garruk is not not a villian for long.
>>
>>48139358
I hope they get their fucking movie already and it bombs so hard they're put in red numbers and have to stop begging us to buy their shit through actually pandering to the players and removing the tumblr cancer and milennial business execs from their staff.
>>
>>48139669
Yeah, Garruk is basically guaranteed villain now that Lili joined the good guys. Even if he's only there for revenge.

That said, I get the strange feeling they're just going to try and sweep him under the rug to make everyone forget that they had a mono-green walker before Nissa.
>>
>>48139394
We already are.
Hell even Salvation weenies are mostly tired of them save for waifu/husbandofags.
>>
>>48139656
WotC is too lazy to have conflicted evil or decent writting now. I'm sure the next time Garruk shows up he'll be pledging his allegiance to Hilter Bolas and pushing a grandma down some stairs
>>
>>48139690
I like Garruk being a villain and I really hope they'll push his identity as "the guy who kills planeswalkers". That part of his character should be pushed both in story and cards.

Yes I hate planeswalkers that much
>>
>>48139690
Garruk already went B so he'll likely be BG or B againt.
>>
>>48139658
That angel is confirmed to be long dead. They covered that in their exposition article for the set, A Gaze Blank and Pitiless.
>>
>>48139708
Phyrexian Negator pls go.
>>
>>48139416
Aether Revolt is caused by Tibalt removing a single screw.
>>
>>48139720
Oh my god that would be fucking perfect

So yeah we won't see it
>>
>>48139708
For a while I thought they were a cool, new idea, but now they seem extremely oppressive with how they're becoming the center of attention. Let the natives figure shit out for once.
>>
>>48139635
This is the stupidest idea I've ever heard for mtg

That said, this is definitely what WotC is going to do

I can already picture in my mind the evil-oath cards and them being like the Team Rocket of every set
>>
>>48139442
Because their site is still nuked after they supposedly "fixed" it.
Almost all pre-Origins articles are gone.
>>
>>48139712
Right. Avacyn killed her at some point I think, due to them making deals with monsters when most necessary.

That said, with Avacyn out of the way, a resurgence of that flight would be pretty cool to see, especially if she shows up to try and unite both the humans and monsters against the Eldrazi.
>>
>>48139728
>Tibalt becomes aware they're part of a fucking trading card game
>He becomes the Deadpool of Magic
>>
>>48138987
Mohrbacher flat out said on leddit he left because
>No creative freedom anymore due to their new art chick being a cunt
>MONEY (This is the big one)
>>
>>48139538
Sorin told Liliana this was all Nahiri's fault and Liliana loves Innistrad even more than him.
>>
>>48139751
>nobody fires the creative / story team to hire competent writers instead
>Tibalt becomes memes and fedoratipping - the character
>>
File: 1467606842613.jpg (276 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1467606842613.jpg
276 KB, 1080x1920
>>48139733
Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.
>>
File: I hate this shit so much 2.jpg (705 KB, 3675x2175) Image search: [Google]
I hate this shit so much 2.jpg
705 KB, 3675x2175
>>48139781
>>
>>48139770
>Wizards story and block design literally operates for more six months in advance
>Tibalt's memes are always half a year old
>>
File: 3TLIfZB.png (412 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
3TLIfZB.png
412 KB, 970x545
>>48139801
Assemble!
>>
>>48139635
Implying any of those hunks would work with PMS planecrasher.
Ob wants her dead, if Garruk finds out what's been used to weaken him was made by her he'll want her head too. Bolas would want her dead too for delaying his plan to destroy the eldrazi by putting Emrakul where it could be caught again.

No, the white Dark Avenger will be Sorin after Bolas frees him, tells him everything Ugin said about the eldrazi was a lie and offers to help him create a new Avacyn for his help in destroying Emrakul and the people who vaulted her in the moon.
>>
im a baby to the lore but honestly i like the eldrazi being in this plane and merging themselves into everything

wish they would infest Theros or something
>>
>>48139843
It's okay but after two fucking blocks of Eldrazi I don't want to see them for a few years
>>
>>48139801

5/5 would see again
>>
>>48139829
Liliana could be Batgirl
>>
>>48139862
>I don't want to see them for a few decades
ftfy
>>
>>48139843
There really isn't anything wrong with Eldritch horror as a villain. All three broods have interesting designs and such, but the problem is that the cards are a tumour in the design and having them twice in a row as the villains of an arc meant to bind together an awful super friends marketing checklist made everyone hate them

Shadows over Innistrad should have happened before battle for Zendikar and then we'd have had something.
>>
>>48139907
I don't really like having the Eldrazi be the main villian

All they want to do is eat and wreck everything and have no real motivation besides you know eat and wreck everything. Doesn't make for a super interesting recurring enemy.

Gee what if the Eldrazi were on say Theros? I wonder what their evil plan is...oh wait eat everything
>>
>>48139907
I didnt mind seeing them again, but they blew through all of them way too quickly. Having a single Eldrazi and a single Brood gives them more breathing room.

Instead, we got them all really crammed together, and the one that was supposed to be a surprise wasn't because they were fresh on the mind.

Eldrazi could have been great recurring planar disasters, but they wrapped them all up too fast.
>>
They keep insisting that the Gatewatch is cool, but let's be honest;

Have any of you ever met a real MTG player that says "Yeah I love the Gatewatch!" or "I really enjoy the new MTG storyline!"

I mean, literally nobody I know or anybody that goes to my LGS likes this stuff.
>>
>>48139934
I like them design-wise, but I'll agree that they don't work as the main villain of the story. They're more akin to a force of nature that's trying to clean things out, and for that they're too easily defeated. I wish they would've spaced them out more and taken the time to leave them looming in the background, slowly working their way forward.
>>
>>48139955
Some anon in this thread shitposted that he did once, likely for the replies.

Im sure if you looked at leddit you would find some shills who like it too.
>>
>>48139728
>>48139751
>Evil league of evil
Bolas is Lex Luthor
Sorin is Vegeta
Tezzeret is Mr. Sinister
Ob Nixilis is Carnage
Tibalt is JokerPool
Garruk is Juggernaut

>The Jacetice League
Ugin is Zordon
Gideon is Superman
Jace is Psychic weakling Batman
Liliana is Black Widow
Chandra is Wolverine
Nissa is Captain Planet

It's so stupid it has potential to be fun
but it's not
>>
>>48139843
Speaking of infesting Theros, New Phyrexia invading the plane would be the most glorious thing since Kiora's fish tits.

>Greek aesthetics mixed with mechanical horrors
>Compleated Gods
>Zombie Elspeth
>Xenagos living deliciously

It's just to perfect not to happen.
>>
>>48139934
I think the most fun part about Eldrazi is seeing the inhabitants all rally together to fight one thing.

Having the plane's heavy hitters tag-te wrestle the main form, all the armies grouping up for open warfare with the spawn, wild animals going toe to toe with all manner of drones, it can be a cool way to showcase the best a plane has to offer.

Of course, that didnt work out in these sets, where Ulamog killed that giant squid instantly, the zendikar army was rather pointless since the gatewatch solved it all, and most of the best candidates for fighting back on Innistrad were already corrupted, dead, or just missing.
>>
>>48140002
STOP
>>
>>48140010
Bitch I haven't even begun.
>>
>>48139756
He left because he didn't have enough creative freedom to offset the art bitch's tyranny, and they were not giving him royalties.
Not because the pay per card was terrible, that's a misconseption. They pay the same as all other good games and it was perfectly fine until marketing started doing the art director's job and demanding more work for the same pay in the form of stifling design doccuments meant to streamline the look of the game.
>>
>>48139098
Lol Nice very nice.
>>
>>48139955
There's Jacefags, Chandrafags and I personally really like Liliana because I like the beautiful asshole witch cliche, but as a group all you hear about is mockery.
>>
File: 1459544019824.jpg (42 KB, 486x572) Image search: [Google]
1459544019824.jpg
42 KB, 486x572
>>48140002
I would buy the shit out of that, holy fuck, has anyone written a novel with this general concept?

>biomech zeus fighting deep-sea horror Poseidon in the post-human robotic planes of sharp pointy death
>>
>>48139955
The most recent thing I liked was Magic Origins. Even with some of the retcons and twisting it was nice to see some fresh planes again, along with some old ones.

I also find Chandra cute and I'm looking forward to Kaladesh, though I'm dreading the rest of the group showing up to ruin it.
>>
>>48140101
Yeah man I get hard just to think about it
>>
>>48140101
>Wizards doing something cool
>In the current year
that'll be the day.
>>
>>48140193
Wizards will come up with a cool concept, but they'll also find a way to ruin it at the same time.
>>
So.... Jacetice League: Civil War when???
>>
>>48139955
>tfw didnt play mtg when urza was around
They knew how to write a protagonist back then.
>>
>>48140298
I could actually see it happening in Aether Revolt, with Chandra and Nissa wanting to tear down all the machines, and Gideon and Jace trying to save the city.

Probably too soon for that type of event though.
>>
File: green ranger.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
green ranger.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
Waiting on the reveal of the Green/White equivalent in the Jace Rangers
>>
Dual land cycle when?
>>
>>48140101
>>48140002
Nah guys lets get Tezzeret to go to Innistrad and turn it's moon now with Emrakul inside into a planeswalking spaceship which he then takes to Mirrodin to compleat Eldrazi edition all of the Phyrexians and we get a three way war between the communist red dudes, the science friends and Elesh Norn/Emrakul team of fun hats.
>>
>>48140324
green ranger was a hero, bant is the hero colors. Tamiyo is the green ranger.
>>
File: 1467250256522s.jpg (2 KB, 125x100) Image search: [Google]
1467250256522s.jpg
2 KB, 125x100
>>48140335
Can't we just go to Muraganda
>>
>>48140335
Wizards aren't going to do Godzilla vs King Kong special.
>>
>>48140298
>In Return to Return to Ravnica: The Guildpactening, a grim air descends on the Jacetice league
>The tensions between Gideon, its de-facto leader, and Liliana, his greatest detractor, have proven to be too great
>Death of Nissa at the hands of Garruk and Liliana's heartless reanimation of her lifeless body have been the final straw
>Gideon demands that all members of the league align to the Bant shard or perish
>Ajani stands with Gideon, and Elspeth, reborn as a BW planeswalker sheds her black alignment
>Chandra, disgusted by the amount of control Gideon wants to exert, supports Liliana - as does Koth of the Hammer whom they saved from Phyrexians a while ago
>On the Plaza of the Guildpact, a fierce battle begins
>Jace, the only neutral member left in this conflict, desperately attempts to calm down Liliana and Gideon
>Will he succeed? Or will he fall?
>...
>...
>Wait nevermind it was all a plot by Bolas he freed Emrakul from Innistrad
>Second set of the block is about Emrakul doing the exact same fucking thing on Ravnica
>>
>>48140348
No anon cavemen as a term is basically sexist and would not fit the current development environment. Maybe in the future the Superfriends can visit the Muraganda Museum as part of a field trip but until then it's not happening.
>>
>>48140351
I think I'd actually enjoy a set that's solely about how planeswalkers fight it out among them

Every spell and creature relevant only to the battle between the walkers, no sideline plots or stupid shit like say forest hunter lesbians
>>
>>48140341
I wonder how they'd handle mutli-color oaths anyway. They'd have to be really damn awesome to be worth the color investment.
>>
>>48139740
Not just monsters. Demons. Those things that are established to enjoy fucking over humanity for shigs.

With Avacyn out of the way and with Sorin in a lock box, we won't be seeing any resurgence of anything other than Dark Ascension tier casualty rates.
>>
>>48140002
Zombie Elspeth ain't happening man.
>>
File: myfeelenvelopesme.jpg (2 KB, 125x100) Image search: [Google]
myfeelenvelopesme.jpg
2 KB, 125x100
>>48140367
>>
>>48140431
Yeah, and Nahiri was trying to summon Marit Lage to Innistrad.
>>
>>48140440
No really. It's not happening. Going zombie would stop her from planeswalking as her soul would fuck off and to be someone's Stand.
>>
>>48140431
Are you retarded

Do you just go around not paying attention to the story at all and then go around posting retarded uninformed shit out of your ass all day? Are you even aware that it's a fucking GREEK flavored plane that she died in? Do you really think a planeswalker like Elspeth dying in a Greek themed plane means she's dead forever? Do you honestly think they wouldn't bring her back?

Stop posting
>>
Where was the story tidbit spoiled that Sorin gets locked up? I suppose it's from an exert from the book?
>>
>>48140467
How's it like in Australia this time of year?
>>
>>48140466
Wow, it's almost like breaking rules like that could be used for some "amazing" powerful plot point where Elspeth claws her way out of the underworld and can still planeswalk. It's almost like rules in this universe don't fucking matter because they can and will bend them to whatever is convenient for what they want to do with their characters
>>
>>48140466
let me tell you about l this lovely mechanic called Meld that lets you take two cards, say a Spirit and a Zombie, for example and combine them into a single card.
>>
>>48140480
How do you even lock a multidimensional teleporter in stone anyways?
>>
File: 1376189496589.jpg (13 KB, 250x223) Image search: [Google]
1376189496589.jpg
13 KB, 250x223
>>48140484
what?
>>
>>48140496
She can still leave the Underworld but is finished as a Planeswalker when she puts on the mask, friend. This really isn't hard.
>>
>>48140480
>I can't kill everything you love with a giant rock tentacle alien so I'll just try to put you in jail instead

How typical.
Women, am I right fellas
>>
>>48140515
So nobody will care about who she when she puts on the mask?
>>
>>48140515
I literally just explained to you that the rules in the story of magic don't matter if Wizards don't want them to

Fucking retard
>>
>>48139720
>He doesn't even do it out of evil
>He just thought it wasn't attached, that's it
>>
File: haunted dead.png (261 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
haunted dead.png
261 KB, 490x490
>>48140501
Okay.

You trying to tell me this dynamic duo have the potential to planeswalk?

>>48140537
And until they do so, shit's impossible. Why is this so hard for you?
>>
>>48140556
You're just being a devil's advocate now. Elspeth being dead won't stop wizards from bringing her back and making her able to planeswalk again. A fucking DEMON can be a planeswalker. The rules in the world of magic don't mean shit
>>
>>48140556
>And until they do so, shit's impossible. Why is this so hard for you?
>It's impossible until it happens
WELL D U H
>>
>>48140556
The things you post make you out to be a complete fucking retard
>>
>>48139264
There will never be another set with flavor as good as Fallen Empires.
>>
>>48140556
I want that card to be a playmat.
>>
>>48140373
It'd be fun for a special draft environment, you play vanguard with walker abilities and shit.
>>
>>48140573
Well if she comes back, it wont be as a Returned, like all the other guys who manage to leave Theros' Underworld.
>>48140574
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, man. It's impossible for her to leave as a Returned.
>>
>>48140556
>You trying to tell me this dynamic duo have the potential to planeswalk?
Well not on Innistrad, but it would be possible on Theros, as when someone leaves the underworld there, they get turned into a Returned (which is a Zombie) and an Eidolon (which is a Spirit) the Returned is basically a body without memories or a soul and the Eidolon is a Soul and memories without a physical body.

Now, which important planeswalker from the Theros block is currently in the underworld and has been hinted to become one of the Returned?
>>
When is Nicol Bolas?
>>
>>48140605
But Meld is an Innistrad mechanic, why would it be occurring in Theros? There is a notable lack of Eldrazi to mash things together.
>>
>>48139416
>Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors' Fair
Magic needs to die.
>>
>>48140603
Why? Why are you the one who decides what can and can't be done in magic? Why are you the one that makes the rules?

The writing in magic is shit. They actually have to do nothing but say, "She was a returned, but amazingly, she could still planeswalk!! WOW!!" and print a card called "Elspeth, the Returned" and the problem of her being dead and a planeswalker is fixed. They could say that Garruk fixed his curse through the power of sucking his own cock if they wanted to. Sigarda could be a planeswalker tomorrow if they just say "this is the first time a spark has been able to ignite in an angel"

I don't get what the fuck you don't understand. They beat the Eldrazi, the all powerful cosmic beings, because Chandra burned them to death.

Convenience > Good Writing
>>
>>48139416
>The best artificers in the multiverse
we retconning Thran now?
>>
>>48140660
>They could say that Garruk fixed his curse through the power of sucking his own cock if they wanted to
Wizards, get on this now. There aren't enough autosexual characters in popular culture, it's oppressive.
>>
>>48140663
Does Thran even still exist in any way, shape or form?
>>
>>48140673
The Mercadians are Thran descents.
>>
>>48140660
I'm not, I'm just telling you how things stand right now. Right now, Returned can't be planeswalkers. That's all.

Just because the writing is shit, there's no need to throw out everything they said about how a plane works.

AS it stands, making Elspeth BW would kind of shit on her incorruptible purity vibe that she has carried since Alara and I personally doubt it could happen.
>>
Weird how Ashiok didn't show up to this plane at all when he's looking for the perfect embodiment of fear

Isn't Emrakul supposed to be like, THE scariest?
>>
>>48140627
While Meld would have the same theme of things combining if it was used on Theros, the catalyst would not be the arrival of Emrakul, instead it would be something as simple as an Enchantment Creature bestowing itself upon a normal Creature.
>>
>>48140496
Elspeth can leave the underworld without becoming a returned. She wouldn't be the first or last person to do it. Reviving Melody, referencing Orpheus (if he wasn't a fag and failed) and Rescue from the Underworld, referencing Disney's Hercules, show that others have fooled Erebos.
>>
>>48140692
You have been sitting in this thread acting like a retard trying to guarantee that Elspeth won't be a B/W planeswalker when she comes back from the dead and now you're falling back and trying to change the meaning of what you were saying now that you realize that you're full of shit.

Stop posting retard
>>
>>48140696
Emrakul is a force of unity, basically the opposite.
>>
>>48140708
Thanks for your help in proving that a multitude of things can bring Elspeth back. Maybe fucking Ajani travels into the underworld and pull Elspeth out and she's alive again because Greek plane
>>
>>48140696
By the time a normal person would realize Emrakul is there, they'd already be mindfucked and part of her brood. The few that arent under her control and fight are usually not scared anymore either because they simply don't have time to worry about being scared of tebtacle things and would have given in already anyway if they wouldn't have strong minds.
>>
>>48140715
I get that you probably took that from what I was posting but like I told you, this is how the Returned work as we know it, no need to get so up in arms until they are actually changed.

As it stands, your waifu ain't getting out with the mask on.
>>
>>48140696
You can't be scared if you're mad.
That's where Lovecraft fucked up. Yes, becoming mad is very scary but if your know with the inevitability of madness doesn't come death or even a real impediment from functioning as a biological entity, you animal instinct will accept it.

Ashiok seeks fears worse tha death and becoming an aspect of an immortal cosmic predator really isn't it.
>>
>>48140721
Emrakul's original concept is that when you lay eyes on her you feel the true terror of absolute isolation, but I can see how they could just twist that into "everyone wants to be together"
>>
>>48140756
Lofecraft didn't fuck up. You, as a sentient, thinking being, fear going mad. You fear losing your mental faculties, forgetting who you are and what defines you as a person. And any thing or concept or whatever that can, upon comprehending it, cause you to do so, is something you fear.

Sure, after going mad, you stop fearing it, but Lovecraft didn't actually write stories so people would go mad of them.
>>
>>48140744
>Maybe fucking Ajani travels into the underworld and pull Elspeth out and she's alive again because Greek plane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcS1us6JCzQ
What would the colors be for the Fates of Theros?
>>
>>48140744
Nobody is contesting that, only that she will not be one more sacrifice in the altar of creative's corruption fetish and become a returned.
If Elspeth will someday be something other than a human, it will be an Amesha as Bant reclaims and exalts it's favorite adoptive daughter.
>>
>>48140788
sultai
>>
>>48140744
>Maybe fucking Ajani travels into the underworld and pull Elspeth out and she's alive again because Greek plane
This works because then we can get Enchantment Planeswalker - Ajani, see >>48140788.
>>
>>48139656
Isn't he basically a planeswalking Jason Voorhees now?
>>
>>48139394
Casuals are the ones who shitty lore will actually bore enough to lose sales, neckbeards buy their netdecks regardless

I like fluffy edh games, t.casual
>>
>>48140839
So Not!Clotho is the Green part of the card, Not!Lachesis is the Blue and Not!Atropos is the Black?
>>
>>48140788
I thought that that one terribad BW legend from theros that everyone forgets about cause it was so cap WERE the fates on theros
And if they weren't then I think they were implicity part red due to the blocks obligatory "Lolchaos" card mentioning them
>>
File: triad.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
triad.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>48140788
These gals?
>>48140861
That would have been cooler.
>>
>>48140873
Thanks for posting that for me
>>
File: Kirk.png (195 KB, 358x353) Image search: [Google]
Kirk.png
195 KB, 358x353
>>48140861
yes
>>
>>48140873
>That would have been cooler.
Yes it would have been that's why we never got it.
>>
>>48140892
Excellent.
>>
File: Uncanny Valley.jpg (83 KB, 498x376) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny Valley.jpg
83 KB, 498x376
We got the classic horror block twice now but when do we get the psychological horror block?
>>
>>48140929
Every single fucking set is psychological horror

Wizards's mismanagement of their game and lore is fucking terrifying
>>
>>48140943
I blame hasbro
>>
>>48140929
When we get back to Innistrad, as the whole world collectively loses it's shit at night. Like Shadowmoor but permanent.
>>
>>48140943
Top kek
>>
>>48140943
just the response I expected

good work anon
>>
>>48140929
That is one unsettling picture
>>
>still no spoilers today

What the fuck
>>
>>48140929
This was basically bloodborne:the block, featuring the Gatewatch rangers.
>>
>>48139612

You are totally right my man, lowest common denominator marketing is just smart business.

Why would anyone care about the people who have played the game for decades? This kind of person abandoning the product is a good sign if anything. You can whip up some empty flashy inconsistent and incoherent fluff for a new generation of customers! The dangling keys audience! We could probably even keep this up for a few blocks! Do you know how much money that is?!

Yes, eventually they will move on to the next flashy thing once they get tired of this, but that's completely fine! We could probably even milk this franchise for a movie or two while there are still enough people nostalgic for it! Then we can just get into a different game and bring it to the popular masses, AGAIN! Pump and dump is the future and these grandpas need to get with the times. I mean, who wants to play magic for another 20 years? Completely absurd.
>>
I wonder what magic would have been like if the planeswalker model was used 20 years ago. A 1/2 Arcanis for 1U that looted, a 1/6 Arcanis for 5UU that tapped to draw 4. A 0/1 Squee, Goblin Cabin Hand for R that regenerated? Why does each character need 15 different cards?
>>
>>48139564
No, it's Scooby Doo.
>>
So what steampunk thing was super popular 3-5 years ago that evolved into Kaladesh?
>>
>>48141206
Bioshock Infinite would kind of fit the bill design-wise.
>>
>>48141033
Was wondering that, too.

Is somethibg special about today or why was there nothing at all yet?
>>
>>48141206
like the legendary werewolf and spider, I think steampunk plane was just on the short list because people kept asking for it. I imagine the same will be for dinosaur plane and pirate plane when we finally get them.
>>
>>48141233
dino already has a name, muraganda. they're gonna fuck it up though just like kaladesh
>>
File: zealous.jpg (44 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
zealous.jpg
44 KB, 265x370
>>48141233
Looks like this guy got promoted after AVR.
>>
>>48141253
Murugandan Getter Robo?
>>
>>48141154
>Why does each character need 15 different cards?
Attempts at cashing in on a character's popularity.
>>
>>48140751
>>48140715

>implying Ajani isn't going to go on an Orphean quest to rescue Elspeth from the underworld in Return to Theros
>>
>>48141241
Muraganda will be replaced with a new dinosaur plane, like how Arkhos was replaced with Theros or Mongseng was replaced by Tarkir.
>>
>>48141382
but the petroglyphs ;_;
>>
>>48141400
NWO, bitch.
>>
>>48139690
Nissa was going black before Garruk, and yet I doubt that aspect of her character is ever going to explored again. She's now just the green 'walker with Leyline magic.
>>
>>48141154
The neowalker model exists because Wizards was trying to sell the idea of a Magic movie to studios, so the neowalkers were created and shoved repeatedly into every set so that Magic would have "main characters" they could sell.
>>
>>48140484
Either fucking cold or fucking wet. God, Canberra sucks.
>>
I'm angry about there not being a Ludevic card.
>>
>>48141647
Wait for him to appear in Commander like Gisa and Geralf.
>>
>>48139416
>Artificers Fair
>Artifact themed set
HOLD ON TO YOUR ASSES
>>
>>48139829
Someone send this the Maro.
>>
File: permeatingmass.jpg (44 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
permeatingmass.jpg
44 KB, 265x370
So say I swing into my opponent with this, but they block with an 8/8 creature. Does my permeating mass die and their 8/8 gets turned into one, or does their 8/8 just instantly become a 1/3 permeating mass and both creatures cancel out?

Also, if I give my permeating mass first strike, would that basically make it work if the answer to my first question is no?
>>
>>48141819
both deal damage to each other, trigger goes on stack. State based actions check damage, your permeating mass dies.

Trigger resolves, 8/8 transforms.
>>
>>48141777
But anon, what if his Commander card is shit?
>>
>>48141819
Whoops. That second part meant to read "would that basically make it work if my permeating mass would die normally when fighting a larger creature?"
>>
>>48141808
>is actually just Mirrodin with poo in loos
>>
>>48141821
Ah, okay. Thank you. So if mine had first strike, it would live and then there would be two permeating masses?
>>
>>48141832
Yep.
>>
>>48141823
Then you make a shit deck with him like all the other Commander decks.
>>
>>48141828
>JUST nitrogen
>Schmaffinnity - artifacts cost less or are easier to play or something
>Schmetalcraft - do something broken because you were playing artifacts
>Schminfect - wincon that becomes a tier 1/1.5 legacy deck and breaks modern

Not even going into if it's closer to an urza artifact theme. Something will be broken if it is an artifact block
>>
>>48139541
>So the second set focuses on that revolution, which will also get resolved in the same set, so it'll probably end up feeling rushed and unsatisfactory.
God I hate this new two-sets policy.

On an (almost) unrelated note: I think MaRo is probably a good guy and likes the game, but part of his job is being the face of MtG and he's paid to defend other's decisions, even if he doesn't like them. I think he's probably as pissed as us about this whole Gatewatch shit, and probably other stuff too, and that might explain why he's so defensive about it. You can't effectively defend something you don't like.
>>
>>48140002
Theros 2 is probably going to be more of saving Elspeth and Xenagos's redemption story.

>yfw when Elspeth, Ajani, Xenagos, and Erebos band together to fight the compleated Heliod, who is pretty much Elesh Norn in god form.

Ajani probably joins the gatewatch prior to this, so we don't see anyone else in the Jacetice League
>>
>>48139708
All they'll do is kill off the planeswalkers you'd actually want to hear about (venser, vronos) while leaving the eldrazi avengers untouched.
>>
>>48140929
Anon maybe you didn't notice but that dog is climbing over a fence ON TWO LEGS. Please, for the love of all that is Holy, delete this post-haste!
>>
>>48139582
With the amount of time Jace has spent away from Ravnica, I think they're setting up the plot to the next block of it. I'm almost sure they're going to combine the guilds into four colored ones based on uneasy alliances and that will be the hook.
>>48139843
>even with all the sickening return to's and WOTC's promise to always include the same five idiots in every block, people still bitch about the last remotely creative thing Wizards has done.
>>
File: 1466740151217.png (325 KB, 485x538) Image search: [Google]
1466740151217.png
325 KB, 485x538
>>48141953
>compleated Heliod
>>
>>48141819
The Mass and the 8/8 will deal combat damage to each other. The Mass's ability will trigger, but it's already taken 8 damage and dies. Then the ability resolves and turns the 8/8 into a Permeating Mass.

If your Mass has first strike, it will damage the 8/8, it's ability will trigger and turn the 8/8 into a Permeating Mass, then the former-8/8 will deal 1 damage back. The new Mass's ability will also trigger, turning your Permeating Mass into a Permeating Mass.
>>
File: Providence-Eldritch-Moon-MtG-Art.jpg (159 KB, 1368x1008) Image search: [Google]
Providence-Eldritch-Moon-MtG-Art.jpg
159 KB, 1368x1008
>>48141953
Pretty sure Erebos will be an endgame boss, he really wanted Elspeth's soul. I could see ajani and the gatewatch sneaking into the underworld amidst the chaos of the phyrexians invading and sneaking Elspeth out, right as they escape the underworld falls and Erebos rises up as a compleated phyrexian god. Then, with his newfound power goes and beats the shit out of a weakened Heliod who has lost followers because of Ajani's previous shenanigans.
>>
>>48142030
The fucked up part is Heliod and Elesh Norn have a lot in common.

Say what you want about Theros's power level, but its story was top notch. You can bet your ass wizards is going to buff the shit out of enchantments on the return block. We've already seen stronger theros enchantments in Origins.
>>
>>48138235
Kill yourself. What part of having a planeswalker spark is green you fucking autistic mouthbreather
>>
>>48141819
I can't wait for this thing o crash MTGO and eat up match timer

Perma eating ass more like
>>
File: 08-1058.jpg (14 KB, 375x241) Image search: [Google]
08-1058.jpg
14 KB, 375x241
What time does the mothership update? I know they changed it with the site but idk
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.