[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some non-edgy reasons someone would want to kill a lawful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 752x1063
What are some non-edgy reasons someone would want to kill a lawful good god?
>>
First, define what you wrongly think "edgy" means.
>>
File: Gods-not-Dead.jpg (150 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Gods-not-Dead.jpg
150 KB, 900x900
To prove that God's Not Dead.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 680x671) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 680x671
>>48128517
>>
>>48128463
The god is a dualistic entity who flips from lawful good to lawful evil at midsummer and back again at midwinter, and one of his servants is tasked with killing him at the appointed time so that he can be reborn into the correct aspect for that phase of the year.

The god is a patron of martial combat and despite his ancient failing power can only renew the might of his domain by passing on his godly mantle to the one who kills him, and so knowingly invites great heroes to challenge him.

The god, though lawful and good, was tricked into conflicting geases by an enemy god, and now by his own divine law must pay with his life, leaving the task of killing him and finding a replacement for his role in the pantheon to an extended celestial bureaucracy that employs mortal servants.
>>
They believe in Freedom.
>>
They crossed the god, by doing something that in the mortal's short sighted mind seemed like the right thing to, but ultimately in the gods planned they gave evil a huge favour.
>>
>>48128463
Wanting to murder a deity is already pretty edgy in and of itself.
>>
The Lawful Good of ancient times is not the Lawful Good of today. Like back then, say people could be put to death for eating some animal improperly and that was considered Lawful Good.

So the uncompromising god needs to be killed, in order to either reincarnate as a more modern Lawful Good god, or so that a new one can take its place.
>>
>>48128463
The lawful good character fucked your wife.
>>
>>48128613

These are good.
>>
>>48128463
You're Rhynn and/or Kwll, and you needed something to do before being ripped off with that hand and eye of Vecna crap.
>>
It is a childish, naive god, who doesn't understand the consequences for his "good" actions

Maybe he is giving away eternal life , or preventing everyone's death, leading to overpopulation, etc
>>
>>48128463
He got in my way.

>You had it coming, St Chutbert
>>
>>48128463
Because that god is a tyrant and that person honestly believes that mankind is better off without their influence.
>>
Guy wants his wife back, lawful good god is guard to the underworld.
>>
>>48128463
The character doesn't stand with the same point of view of the god about what's good and what should be the law.

For example the god could strive for the singularity of conscious beings, operating to stop the chaotic movement that is evolution through accidents, suppressing erroneous opinions, unveiling any possible secret and being uncaring of anything that has not a strictly practical application, his "apocalypse" event involving the stopping of time and having the universe as an eternal frame of his vision of perfection.

The character could be just someone who thinks this is all too alien, that the existence doesn't need to have a reason or an end and that errors are in their own ways a mean of progress and the creating force of the universe and that secrets, ignorance and silly stuff are part of what makes existence a form of art, so enjoyable and that's what matter for him.

Or maybe he's just stupid and misguided to think the good of the god is in truth bad.
>>
>>48128562
Tryin' to look dark'n'cool and failing, yes?
>>
>>48128463
To loot it for items.
>>
>>48128562
kid having trouble growing up?
>>
>>48128463
Intra-Lawful Good disagreement.
>>
>>48128463
Humans have free will, they shouldn't live fearing the wrath of a god.
Or is it already edgy?
>>
>>48128463
If the god places law before good, and you place good before law.
Or vice versa, for that matter.
>>
>>48128463
This god's form of lawful good represents not so much benevolence and compassion as it does purity and sterility. It is a form of good that emphasizes strict adherence to ritual and ruthless pruning of deviant influences. Thing of it like the court of the Qing emperor, where progress is impossible because all players are locked into a ritual that cannot change with the needs of the world.

To be lawful is to be perfect and to utterly remove imperfection. To be good is to remove all evil, in whatever form it exists.

Jesus that sounded less edgy in my head.
>>
>>48128463
Said god is attempting to impose law and order upon the world. By removing free will they seek to destroy evil.

No wars, no suffering, only peace and adherence to the law.
>>
>>48128562
That's not edgy, that's just cringy.

You realize in the marketing world, "edgy" is a complement right, and meant to "adultify" content, right?
>>
>>48128463
Because 'someone' does not have to be lawful good.
>>
>>48128463
They've gotten someone they love wound up in demon's pact. They only way to keep them safe is it aid in a war against the god.

They could be following an enemy lawful or chaotic god. It is their responsibility to do battle against the LG god. They might have been taught gods should be impartial (neutral) or that they do not have the right to demand order (law) and so their fight is just.

They fancy themselves a mortal champion. Besides being LG the god is also the greatest warrior in the known universe. The mortal aspires to one day face the god in fabulous duel to the death. In victory or defeat it would be an highest of honours to stand against such a foe.

They are saddened by the fact the LG god allowed their community to be beset by famine and disaster. So they have set out on a pilgrimage against the deity who is ether untrustworthy, blind or too irresponsible to worship. the god must be removed to prevent others from being led astray. It's a sad task but it must be done. They would like to have their mind changed to the matter but until them their mission will continue.

I any of these cases the killing is probably a distant, possibly immature, dream. It's possible the character has not thought through all the consequences of their goal. People rarely have all their shit together, it's not unbelievable that many motivations will be partially justified but not entirely sound.

>>48128613
I really like the last two here as well
>>48128866
Also this a cooler version of my first idea
>>
File: TLG.jpg (31 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
TLG.jpg
31 KB, 500x333
To make the greates shitpost in the history of the setting. Just imagine the shitstorm that would follow.
>>
>>48128463
Make a 3rd character (an evil one) that force the 2nd character to kill the god, like if he does not kill the god the 3rd will kill a family member
of the 2nd.
>>
>>48130454
>You realize in the marketing world, "edgy" is a complement
I'm a marketing manager and you're wrong and a dumbass. We fire people who say "edgy" as a complement and if I ever heard "adultify" their next words would be "I'll clean out my desk."
>>
>>48128463
Off the top of my head...
>He serves an evil god.
>He thinks "How can [LGGOD] really be good with so much evil in the world?
>He is jealous of other people's happiness, or the concept the god represent (i.e, justice) is something that he doesn't understand or offends him.
>He thinks what the god represents (i.e, mercy, or honor) is just a sham, and it pisses him off that people put so much faith into these things.

Remember, being evil does not make a character instantly edgy. Also, beginning a character with angst is fine so long as he sees some development.

All you really gotta do is find a way for him to interpret the god's actions or personality as evil or negative.
>>
>>48128463
Much freedom? Or is that edgy too?
>>
>>48133256
>I'm a marketing manager
No you're not.
>>
>>48128463
Lawful good god let their family get killed because they're too absorbed with the fight against evil and their rules.
>>
File: 1423115274907.jpg (588 KB, 2013x1308) Image search: [Google]
1423115274907.jpg
588 KB, 2013x1308
>>48128463
The LG god reveres law above doing good. The inflexible and amoral nature of law allows certain forms of evil to exist unchecked.
The hero, a champion of a rival CG god, seeks to kill the LG god, overthrowing him, and placing the CG god on the throne of heaven. Basically, he's The Punisher?
Anything else?
>>
Lawful good in D&D sense is not actually "good" when it comes to entities changing their alignment.

Take for example an evil assassin that you influence to become neutral or even good in terms of alignment. It would still make her deserving of punishment in eyes of a lawful entity due to her past, which a sympathetic character would like to protect her from.
>>
>>48128463
the lawful good goddess has been deceived the the lawful evil goddess/psychotic hobeast into trying to destroy your home city after the lawful evil goddess was corrupted by a chaotic neutral third party
>>
>>48128463
They fucked you over?
>>
>>48128463
That LG God is Iomedae.
>>
File: bhishma-wheel.jpg (45 KB, 490x369) Image search: [Google]
bhishma-wheel.jpg
45 KB, 490x369
He seeks an end that is worthy of him and has chosen you.
>>
this actually pretty good. you could work a whole entire classical tragic hero thing in where the person understands that what there doing is morally evil but cant bring themselves to simply submit to judgment and damnation. There could be a bunch of subtle references to the person as Lucifer from Paradise Lost. Regardless, I think the tragedy angle is your best bet.
>>
>>48128613
The LG god represent the primal IS and his metastacrystallization across existence caused by the heroes mistakenly killing the IS-NOT is threatening to lock everything in permanent stasis.
>>
>>48135277
>lawful good
>killing people unjustly
That's lawful evil retard. A lawful good god would only kill people for being Hitler.
>>
File: Christ on an Apatosaurus.jpg (92 KB, 300x426) Image search: [Google]
Christ on an Apatosaurus.jpg
92 KB, 300x426
It's all part of his plan.
>>
No. that works as a good PC or BBEG motivation.It needs to be fleshed out more maybe, but it works.
>>
>>48128463
The omniscience and eternal nature of the gods makes their concept of morality much different from our own.

The god knows that your baby son will eventually grow up to become the BBEG's master assassin, and thus seeks his death. The god also knows that the bandit who pillaged your family's store is going to repent his criminal ways and lead the resistance against the BBEG, and thus grants him favor.

But you don't know that: All you see is a god trying to kill your kid while empowering the guy who rekt your business. God doesn't seem like a good guy at all to you.
>>
It has been trapped and their power tortuously siphoned to power some evil mechanism for long centuries. You are unable to free them, but may at least prevent their power being put to further evil.
>>
>>48128463
The lawful good god is trying to end the world so that he and the rest of the pantheon can make a new, better, more perfect one in it's place free of suffering and pain.

Only problem is, all the mortals living in the current shithole flawed universe have got to go first...

Neither side is necessarily wrong or evil, them's just the breaks.
>>
>>48128463
>I am Chaotic Evil/Evil/Lawful Evil and this god wanted to murder me first. It's a matter of survival.
>I am Chaotic Anything and their divine all is all up in my shit, ruining my everything.

Or like the most used reason for anything.
>My god told me so.

Even Lawful Good gods fight other Good and Neutral gods.
>>
>>48128613
Replace Lawful evil with insanity and & chaos and lawful good with order and you just described the plot for the shivering isles expansion of oblivion.
>>
>>48128463
When the Lawful Good god is literally Obama and he rejects your prayers because he doesn't want to get involved in a war between gods or unduly influence a war for survival between his human worshippers and the xenos menace. Then you kill him and take his power to end the war.
>>
>>48136979
Where does this spicy meme that Iomedae is evil come from? I've seen it in a few places but I don't get it.
>>
>>48130454
>trip poster said something fucking stupid

shocking
>>
>>48128775
It's ambitious but it's not an edgy in a fantasy setting. Killing God is just the final boss battle.

If do you kill the real world religious figure like Mohammed or something, that would count.
>>
>>48128463
Lawful good gods are very much "I know best" and "my way or the highway" types. If they were very pushy on the wrong subject they could easily hurt so feelings very badly. Or what if they intervened on some thing and to on lookers they fucked things up more then they were. Maybe they really did fuck things up on accident. In D&D gods are varying degrees of powerful, not all powerful nor all unknowing. They can make mistake. On the scale they operate at those mistakes can be nation sized.

What if that mistake costed you your homeland and most of your people? Or worst if something that bad happen and the law good god in question, patron of said nation, did not act to save said nation.

That could get someone to try to kill said lawful good god.
>>
>>48128463
Succession. The current God is old and in severe agony, and his child wants to put him out of his misery and replace him.
>>
>>48128463
Money, jealosy
>>
>>48137053
So much this. Think Dumbledore to Snape. (not that I'd define either of them as lawful good)
>>
>>48128463
Lawful Good does not mean Lawful Nice.
>>
>>48130454
Are these the dead remains of virtualoptim granted un-life?
>>
File: 1460769448704.jpg (111 KB, 532x933) Image search: [Google]
1460769448704.jpg
111 KB, 532x933
Power's quite the mistress. One would want to kill a god to attain power levels unknown to mortals or ascend to godhood themselves. I did that once, but without alignments
>>
>>48128775
Did anyone here read the last hero?
>>
>>48137562
In Herald of the Ivory Labyrinth (in Wrath of the Righteous), you get the *opportunity* to go on a quest for Iomedae.

Refusing means you take shitloads of damage and she asks again.

Of course, once you've eagerly accepted her gracious offer, you have to prove that you're worthy of such glorious responsibility... by answering questions about pointless details.

Not answering exactly how the adventure path says you should means you take shitloads of damage.

Arguing with her means that you immediately fall to CE, /then/ take shitloads of damage.

If you survive that, you get to kill some fuckhuge Pit Fiend or demon prince or whatever, and then are rewarded with... a free Miracle, a shitty template, OR 40,000 GP. At level 18. With 8+ Divine Ranks.
>>
>>48128463
The gods govern the mortal races, make their laws, demand worship and see them as little more than slaves. Even though the lawful good god treats the mortals kindly, he patronizes them and essentially halts progress because he, and every other god is somewhat narcissistic and thinks that his servants shouldn't grow any more than he wishes them to. Also the like things as they are and want them to stay that way.

There are however, some individuals who see through the haze of the good life he grants them and take offense in being held back, in not being allowed to thrive, develop and evolve, to tap into their full potential. As such these mortals band together for one goal. Destroy the whole pantheon of gods. Not out of spite but for freedom. So even though the lawful good god doesn't really mean harm and his worshipers live good lives, he still has to go so the lesser races can finally become more.

>inbefore fedora tipping
That's the only reason I could think of why a LG PC would want to kill a LG god. Would also make decent prompt for a campain.
>>
>>48128463
The god wants to die and asked you to figure out how to kill it.
>>
File: 4958643.png (79 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
4958643.png
79 KB, 226x223
>>48145608
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>48128463
The LG god in question happens to have death as a Domain, you can't detect alignments, and you're salty about someone close to you dying.

This was literally a character in one of my campaigns, and even though he tried to play it edgy af, it ended being mostly reasonable as far as motivations go.
>>
The Israelite god (YHVH) is a racist, homophobic, misogynistic deity that His followers insist is Lawful Good. So there you have it.
>>
>>48150807

Because Iomedae is the author's waifu, and he bans anyone who talks bad about her on the forums.
>>
>>48128463
>>48128705
Basically. If said gods rules are too strict than that's an issue, because then you have its followers persecuting the fuck out of everyone for otherwise minor infractions. Which gets old really fast.
>>
>>48151661

Because his followers killed anyone who believed otherwise 3000 years ago. So, that means the god IS lawful good because any concept of dissent was erased. The dissent returning is a modern concept.
>>
>>48128463
LG god has a no tolerance policy against the player's race or status. Person or creature that wants said god dead is one of those. An example being undead. Most are evil, fair enough, but from the stand point of the lich, evil or not, a bunch of clerics constantly bothering it regardless of its actions would be untenable.
>>
>>48128463
>What are some non-edgy reasons someone would want to kill a lawful good god?

The deities followers are douche-bags.
>>
>>48128463
The players are vampires and the god in question is a god of the sun.
>>
I'm an evil prick that wants to kill god to prove that I can don't have to be good to not be edgy some villains are just douchebags and figure killing the god is like chopping the head off the church.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.