[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>D&D 5e campaign >set in a historical fantasy version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: 9c1bf31449b13a998802130aa17bf8e9.jpg (890 KB, 1400x1700) Image search: [Google]
9c1bf31449b13a998802130aa17bf8e9.jpg
890 KB, 1400x1700
>D&D 5e campaign
>set in a historical fantasy version of Earth's 19th century, with D&D races cut down to human lifespans
>firearms exist
>arcane magic and psionics tend to be illegal, feared, and punishable by death
>divine magic requires a permit from each nation traveled to
>game will run up to level 10 at most

Is this too heavy-handed and arbitrary against magical classes and the mystic?
>>
Why include non-human races if you're basically just making them different flavors of human anyway?
>>
>>48120894
Variety?
>>
>>48120912
The differing life spans and connections with magic are sort of a huge part of what gave them variety though...

Like, humans are already mechanically the best by far. Why would I ever play an elf if I don't even get my long life span or magical aptitude now?
>>
>>48120862
>>divine magic requires a permit from each nation traveled to
This is the only bit that strikes me as odd. Divine magic is fueled by the will of the gods. It seems like it would be awfully presumptuous of mortals to be handing out miracle licenses.
>>
>>48120862
>permit

Even at 3rd level, sorcerers and druids can have stupendous power. What's stopping Druid Sticksalot or Sorcerer McDoomingbride from crushing anyone asking for his papers? Are people in this world not almost universally first level meat? Unless your firearms get a big attack boost and system-breaking damage, I don't see laws and social mores about magic maintaining relevance for very long.
>>
>>48120972
>What's stopping Druid Sticksalot or Sorcerer McDoomingbride from crushing anyone asking for his papers?

>What's stopping the fighter from crushing anyone asking for his papers?
>>
>>48120972
Seconding this. Outlawing magic in the first place, when it can literally change the world in ways such as eliminating famine and revolutionizing transportation, makes no sense at all. It's like trying to outlaw science, which, despite efforts of certain institutions in real life, almost never holds up as soon as war or technological competition between nations starts.

Might as well just have magic not exist at all.

Also giving "divine" magic a special exception is dumb and says more about your personal biases than the setting itself.
>>
>>48120972
>>48121076
Daily reminder that level 3 bards, clerics, and druids can all cast this.

Lesser Restoration

Abjuration

Level: 2
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.

>But magic is bad and should be banned :^)
>>
>>48121148
>But magic is bad and should be banned :^)

You're aware both the people you're referencing are arguing that it's bad to ban magic, right?
>>
>>48120862
You could have kept this between you and me, Edna.

>firearms exist
You asked for an 1860's specifically little lady.

>>48120894
All that's changing is lifespan, something that rarely comes up in games anyways, especially when the OP made it clear they did not intend to play beyond a level 10 Order of the Awakened Mystic.

>>48120923
Magical aptitude is kept, just not as much of a boon depending on where you are. Age is irrelevant for this game, per OPs specifications.

>>48120939
It's an alternate history setting, so clerics of a god governed by a Lutheran state would be under different leadership than say Catholic, Muslim, or Hindu.

>>48120972
So what if the cops who asks for papers are a cleric and a paladin? Why would a world spanning empire not employ the best?

The law is to give the commoners a sense of security from forces they don't understand, it works to protect them and the state, and in cases like not-england it would protect the caster as well from mobs of spiteful citizens.

>>48121076
Certain scientific practices were outlawed for quite a while, some still are. I cannot just build a nuclear reactor in my kitchen without getting arrested and punished for it.

Someone who throws a fireball or summon a pack of wolves because they're drunk is dangerous. Thus more lawfully inclined citizens would propose measures to protect the common man, the backbone of society, from them.

The setting is biased, it's not-victorian era Earth. A violent period in history.
>>
>>48121180
>Thus more lawfully inclined citizens would propose measures to protect the common man, the backbone of society, from them.

"Sir, this lowly minstrel laid hands on my entire diseased family and cured them of all diseases, even my father's blindness!"

"Better outlaw that."
>>
>>48121224
You're reaching desperately.

>Two men are dead in Pigsden, and a third in custody, following a violent confrontation broke out with the Pale Unicorn late last Saturday. The man arrested, a middle aged gentlemen from Sandwich, is accused of practicing withcraft without a license, and off using occult arts to commit murder and inflict considerable damage to private property.

Why did the wizard do it? Because even the most educated can have short tempers, especially when drinking.
>>
>>48121271
You can murder and damage property without magic. If anything it's easier to do it without magic in 5e.
>>
>>48121283
Correct and it's still a crime.

Guess what else you need a license for? A gun.

Guess what an average traveler wouldn't be allowed to carry around? A cannon.

But trying to impose law and order against unlawful use of magic? That's what breaks your immersion?
>>
>>48121180
>It's an alternate history setting, so clerics of a god governed by a Lutheran state would be under different leadership than say Catholic, Muslim, or Hindu.
What does this have to do with getting a 'you can do god's will' stamp on your passport?
>>
File: 1457071843409s.png (136 KB, 626x258) Image search: [Google]
1457071843409s.png
136 KB, 626x258
>>48121317
>Guess what else you need a license for? A gun.
>In the 1860s
>>
>>48121317
A gun? Please, stuff a rag in a bottle of alcohol, light it up, and throw it. Instant arson.
>>
>>48121323
You're entering a state where the governing or majority religion opposes yours. Why would they authorize you to work divine magic from a different god? Many places wouldn't. You still could, of course, you just run the risk of being punished for it. Same as if you walk around swing a sword at people.

>>48121330
Restrictions on the possession and carrying of firearms have existed in England since the 1590's. In the 1820s you have the Vagrancy Act, which allowed people to be arrested "for intent to commit a felonious act" with any weapon at all. Why would that not apply to magic as well?

>>48121334
Also illegal, that's kind of the point.
>>
>>48121406
>Also illegal, that's kind of the point.
But you don't make it illegal to carry alcohol and handkerchiefs.
>>
>>48121438
Correct, you make it illegal to transport/distribute large amounts of alcohol without proper licensing and fees paid, and you give the enforce the ability to arrest any and all person under the suspicion of possessing the intent to commit arson.

This is basic law people.
>>
>>48121490
>make it illegal to transport/distribute large amounts of dangerous magic items
>arrest people under the suspicion of possessing the intent to Fireball a building
Now THAT's a lot more reasonable than banning magic.
>>
>>48121406
>Restrictions on the possession and carrying of firearms have existed in England since the 1590's.
Since 1515, actually (based on property values if I'm reading it correctly). But the first English law which required one to purchase a license for their firearm was not issued until 1870, before which one was perfectly within their rights to carry there gun wherever they wished as long as they didn't plan to shoot someone.

Even then, the last law before the Vagrancy Act was over two hundred years old and it only dealt with the use of birdshot.
>>
>>48121501
I guess I'm going to have to post the entire conversation between Edna and myself here.

In not-london, knowledge of spells that rival the offensive power of a cannon would be limited to access only by those who need to know them.

arcane magic requires a license from the government or a university or guild.

Just like how divine magic would require a license from the government or church.

This was all said from my second e-mail to Edna, a full 13 hours after I received two from her(him?) describing what they wanted. I was describing the world as a whole, since Edna did not specify which part of 18th-19th century earth inspired fantasy she wanted to play in, so I generalized and painted of picture of the world on average.
>>
>>48121572
>go outside London
>sorry your license isn't valid here
>>
ITT: supremely pedantic people miss the point and don't even answer the OP's question. Never change, tg.

The setting sounds cool, though. Maybe the restriction on magic could extend only to certain schools, to circumvent the issue of beneficial versus harmful spells, but the idea is solid. Certain spells that are inherently beneficial, like the restoration example, would probably be totally fine as long as a professional with a license was the one using them; a license pretty much any doctor in the setting would want/be required to have.

That could actually lead to an interesting implication: the only doctors people trust anymore are the ones a church is not only paying, but who seem to be drawing miracles directly from God. The possibility of corruption is overlooked because people are being cured of ailments that would otherwise have crippled them for life.
>>
>>48121572
Post logs.
>>
>>48121604
>the only doctors people trust anymore are the ones a church is not only paying, but who seem to be drawing miracles directly from God
Lesser Restoration is also on the bard list.
>>
>>48121552
It wasn't required until it became a problem due to Napoleonic War vets brandishing firearms around the country side.

Now imagine that you're country has always had a percentage of the population that can thrown firebolts strong enough to kill a man as a level one caster. It would make sense that laws restricting their use, and systems aiding the government in regulating public exposure them, would come into play even earlier.
I really don't know why this is an issue. OP wanted to play a Noble, which I was fine with, so it would make sense that the character would be licensed without a problem. They would just have to be careful when it comes to using mind controlling powers granted by their class. If they make a mistake, and get caught breaking the law, they get punished for it.
But nope, better post a thread on /tg/ to show the guy who I asked to run a game for me how wrong he is.
>>
>>48121604
Don't suppose you'd be willing to play then?

I don't want the effort I've put into the setting to go to waste. I'd actually rather like to continue developing it.

>>48121609
I'll leave that to OP, if she's so inclined.
>>
>>48121649
I'm already in a couple games at the minute, but maybe. Do you already have a group?
>>
>>48121679
Not for this game, no. This all started when I offered to run a OWoD, Savage Worlds, or 5e PbP game for an OP yesterday who was frustrated with how often/quickly PbP games die.

Op of this thread e-mailed me asking for a live 5e game and I said I'd be willing to run one.

So far I've been planning it because no I know has the time, and Gamefinder threads tend to produce mixed results at best during the height of summer. It is vacation season after all.

So as of now, it would either be a 1v1 (or 2v1 if OP is will to accept the setting) through roll20, d20pro, or MapTools. I'll keep looking for players interested, or if you have friends who'd like to join they're free to.

My only concern is time. I'm available weekends from 8-11 EST and 13-16 EST. Does that work for you?
>>
File: Remilia.webm (2 MB, 444x640) Image search: [Google]
Remilia.webm
2 MB, 444x640
>>48121649

The unedited exchange: http://pastebin.com/xrpZh7dZ
>>
I don't see the problem. I mean, they make thieves' class abilities illegal in most settings and nobody complains about that

>Wherof be it enacted by the King our Sovereign Lord with the assent of the Lords spiritual and temporal and the Commons in this present Parliament assembled and by authority of the same, that if any person or persons, after the first day of May next coming, use devise practice or exercise, or cause to be used devised practiced or exercised, any Invocations or conjurations of Sprites, witchcrafts enchantments or sorceries, to the intent to get or find money or treasure,or to waste consume or destroy any person in his body members or goods, or to provoke any person to unlawful love, or for any other unlawful intent or purpose, or by occasion or color of such things or any of them, or for despite of Christ, or for lucre of money, dig up or pull down any Cross or Crosses, or by such Invocations or conjurations of Sprites witchcrafts enchantments or sorcery or any of them take upon them to tell or declare where goods stolen or lost shall become, That then all and every such Offence and Offences, from the said first day of May next coming shall be deemed accepted and adjudged Felony; And that all and every person and persons offending as is above said their Counselors Abettors and Procurers and every of them from the said first day of May shall be deemed accepted and adjudged a Felon and Felons; And the offender and offenders contrary to this Act, being thereof lawfully convicted before such as shall have power and authority to here and determine felonies, shall have and suffer such pains of death loss and forfeitures of their lands tents goods and Castles as in cases of felonies by the course of the Common laws of this Realm, And also shall lose privilege of Clergy and Sanctuary.
>>
Don't most magic spells still have some item requirements? You can easily change the rules on that, make it so that having prepared items does require the license, or that they are obviously visible and even the laziest guard would be paying attention.
>>
>>48121768
Not psionics.
>>
>>48121768
That is something that would be included in the lawful practice of magic of any kind.
>>
How do you propose to identify arcane vs divine magic? It's not like there is an easy test for it and many spells turn up on both lists.
>>
>>48121810
Government mandate.

Anyone found casting magic without a license is brought in. People with talent are directed to the right part of the DMV equivalent that handles it. People who are jerks and misuse it will probably be hunted down and killed, like any other crazy with a gun.
>>
>>48121810
Entirely by the type of license they have. Acquiring an authentic professional license would typically require proof of training and graduation, passing a proficiency test, and possibly more.

Thus, in a civil society like not-england, there would also exist student licenses and permits, and areas where license free learning is permitted, so long as the area itself is certified and overseen by a professional.
It's not as if every nation would have roaming death squads hunting down suspected psionics and arcane casters for the gallows.

Just some of the less than civil ones.

I think I've ID'd the same storefront six times today.
>>
How would anyone identify psionics at all? They don't show up on Detect Magic.
>>
>>48121148
I'd outlaw magic if that were the only spell in existence.

Then I'd prepare a small elite of people permitted to cast it and charge ridiculous prices for people to access it.
>>
>>48121878
Go Chinese on it.

"The blood of people with a peculiar ability will react differently to this sulfide mix than yours or mine. Here, a sample of what to look for. Notice these parts? A strong sign."
>>
I really like how nobody has answered OP's question yet. Is it too hard for you guys?
>>
>>48121870

>Entirely by the type of license they have. Acquiring an authentic professional license would typically require proof of training and graduation, passing a proficiency test, and possibly more.

But there are spontaneous options for both arcane and divine. How do you propose to separate a Sorcerer and Favored Soul, when they could have the exact same spells.
>>
>>48121878
That would be tricky, for sure. Most likely the increased difficult of identifying, tracking down, and persecuting a rogue psionic would lead to harsher penalties to make people less inclined to use psionics to break the law.

In an african empire where mind powers are seen as heresy or demonic in origin, likely death by mob while sleeping if someone sees or says something.
>>
File: vincent_by_afuchan-d7d5x7w.jpg (436 KB, 600x1650) Image search: [Google]
vincent_by_afuchan-d7d5x7w.jpg
436 KB, 600x1650
>>48121501
just riffing off of this
>border patrol looks through your spellbook when you cross the border
>police can check foreigner spellbooks
>this makes sorcerers and other non spellbook based casters more dangerous
>>
>>48121941
>19th century
>African empire
>>
>>48122005
Would you like some links?
>>
File: jouseiseki.png (177 KB, 439x500) Image search: [Google]
jouseiseki.png
177 KB, 439x500
>>48120862
Is this picture supposed to be like human boatlights? They looks kinda' like them.
>>
>>48121930
I situation like that, assuming the individual could pass the tests for either institution, would be dealt with more as an act of fraud than anything else. At least in a place like not-england or not-prussia.

You'd be walking a knifes edge regardless.
>>
>>48122101

Yes but how would you discover any such fraud? There isn't any reasonable way to detect 'This is divine magic' or 'This is arcane magic'
>>
>>48122127
Watch the behaviors and actions of the individuals, that's where the identifiers would be. It would certainly be difficult and a high profile crime.
>>
>>48122150

Such as? What is there that indicates Arcane vs Divine?

Arcane being punishable by death but Divine just being a permit really requires some way to actually easily tell them apart.
>>
>>48122101
>>48122127
>>48122150
This shit could never be enforced.
>>
>>48122162
Have you not been reading? It's only punishable by death in places like not-arabia

In places like not-england you can get a cheap license to practice and use magic. Done and done.

Divination spells would likely be used to guide special, zealous, teams to criminals in places like not-arabia.

You're asking a question that is entirely dependent on the setting and controlled by the GM. Perhaps divine spells cast by arcane casters use different gestures than normal, or require different words be spoken. Small things.

Give me a few days and I'll type up a rather lengthy list of ways agencies could go about this.
>>
>>48122225
Yeah but if you want to go around the world, you're pretty much fucked if you're a magic user.

And like 2/3rds of the classes in 5e are magical.
>>
>>48122244
You'd also be fucked if you're English in a lot of places. Or a woman traveling alone. Or a black in Europe, or an American Indian in a lot of places.
>>
>>48122263
Sounds like you want to run some grimderpy "muh low fantasy" bullcrap.
>>
>>48120862
Seems like a fantastic setting to play an arcane trickster.
>>
>>48122263
It's amazing how you went from '18th/19th century inspired' to 'we're playing in historical fantasy take it or leave it kthxbie' at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>48122288
I run OWoD, SW, and 5e, and sometimes GURPS, what did you expect?

I've long gotten bored with satisfying roleplayer power fantasies and building games inspired by 80s fantasy cartoons or this months flavor of anime.

I have the right to choose what I run. OP has the right to not play.
>>
>>48122309
Nah, arcane tricksters still have verbal and somatic components.
>>
>>48122311
well most normal people don't like fantasy being leftist diversity propaganda
>>
>>48122314
Low fantasy doesn't mean grimderp shit.
>>
>>48122311
I am wholly within my rights to make that choice.

I was planning a game for a random stranger I've never met, who first contacted me yesterday demanding to play either a winged, mind altering and controlling, tiefling or a gnome with the same powers, and will settle for no less than starting at level 5 with an uncommon magic item of their choice.

Then they run to /tg/ to try and garner support for why I'm not allowed to create the setting I'm running how I want.
>>
>>48122339
you don't like realism, got it.

so don't play in this game.

done, problem resolved.
>>
>>48122334
He could have said that sarcastically.

Or he's referring to the thrill of increased risks.
>>
>>48122334
And? Your a damned rogue, either your sanctioned and thus legal either way, or operating illegally in which case you have magic to steal shit mundanely protected 99% of the time.
>>
>>48122347
>Details of a setting are slightly dependent on what my players are seeking. What era, regions, and walks of life would you like to explore? Do you prefer games focused on socializing, business, politics, combat, stealth, etc? I have enough time and materials that I can be reasonably flexible/

If you don't like players making requests on what kind of game they'd like to play, don't give them carte blanche, dumbass.
>>
>>48122347
>Hey, I'd like to say up front that I don't want to run a game with that much magic or fantasy races. That fine with you?
Should have said this from the start.
>>
>>48122392
He was agreeing with you. There's no reason to crack down on casters in 5e, especially if you're never hitting level 11.
>>
>>48122401
Yeah, I screwed up. I think now I'M the one that needs to think before posting.
>>
>>48122368
>slightly

You seemed to have missed this word.

>>48122386
I did, through the course of one e-mail.

This thread is the result of that one e-mail where I laid down what I was willing to run.

OP responded by making this thread.
>>
>>48122414
No, from the start.
>>
Honestly, the only thing I can really say here is that the proposed setting likely wouldn't gel with 5e's mechanics. Unknown armies seems like it'd fit the bill more, especially since in that magic users are required to be in some way insane.
>>
>>48120862
Yes

It also sounds really poorly thoughout.

Makes no sense.
>>
>>48122471
This was well before the start. The game hasn't even begun yet. I've yet to even receive a character sheet from OP for me to review and approve.

OP doesn't like the setting, he doesn't have to play in it. If he wants a specific setting, he had 13 entire hours, a whole morning, to provide me with details of what exactly he wanted. He chose not to. I created a setting. He responded to two e-mails by running away to /tg/ to complain. I will not be running anything for him now or in the future.
>>
>>48122490
Only absolute madmen use D&D for low fantasy.
>>
>>48122511
>If he wants a specific setting, he had 13 entire hours, a whole morning, to provide me with details of what exactly he wanted. He chose not to.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, are you nuts?
>He responded to two e-mails by running away to /tg/ to complain.
That's not what the pastebin shows.
>>
>>48122501
Makes complete sense. Have you ever brought weapons into another nation? It's a pain in the ass mate. Lots of legal paperwork, lots of money being exchanged, lots of stamps and cards.

Now imagine smuggling guns into a country. I would imagine a nation would be very very upset at you for bringing to potential of 6d6 fire damage without asking for permission.
>>
>>48122519
He took out the time and dates mate. One sec.
>>
>>48122352

See the only problem with this is that you go "muh realism!", copying all the bullshit from history but not adjusting it to the fantastical elements now existing.

>women are second class citizens because muh realism!
But they can learn magic just as well as men, which is a fucking huge equalizer.
>negroes are all slaves/third class citizens because muh realism!

Slavery would be outdated ridiculously fast when a single caster can do the work of dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of slaves instantly.

Not to mention that all it takes is one slave taking up religion really hard and now you have actual zombies on your hand.

If you are actually playing in a setting where you fix all those holes with houseruling away spells, restricting access to certain spells to certain groups of people, etc. it could maybe work, but then you still need to explain while the status quo stayed the same.
>>
>>48122539
How do you check for it? Real weapons take up space, need care, ammo, etc. You can't just ask for a permit for every single devout looking person.

Especially since in a world with actual gods doing actual miracles, devoted people would be through the fucking roof.

Also, 6d6 fire damage is probably an arcane spell.
>>
>>48122511
>he had 13 entire hours, a whole morning

assuming you mean 12am-1pm

I am usually asleep for much of that time, and because I am a functional adult at work for almost all the rest of it

I don't know about OP but I guess you're probably unemployed

Some people actually have things to do with their lives
>>
>>48121649
>she's
there's your problem
>>
>>48122547
Started building this setting yesterday when it was requested I run a game. I'm going to take time fleshing everything out.

>>48122576
Materials mostly. Religious symbols, holy books etc. Those would be confiscated in say not-arabia.

>>48122577
I work full time as a contractor, I just happen to be on vacation for the next few weeks. Last month I was enjoying terminal leave. Is that wrong?

>>48122600
That's just me guessing because I honestly have no clue about OPs gender, that's why I've been switching between her, he, she, him, they, OP, etc.
>>
>>48122539
Tried making laws impeding a religion with actul mircales.

What will happen there is you get a new ruling family.
>>
>>48122622
>Materials mostly. Religious symbols, holy books etc. Those would be confiscated in say not-arabia.

Unless you houserule in that those are always needed for casting spells, you know the cleric can still cast most of his spells even when naked, right?

Not to mention that making or buying a holy symbol while inside the country should be really easy unless literally only clerics with permission can do that; so nobody but them can have a bible or a cross on the wall or a picture of jesus or whatever.
>>
>>48122622
>that's why I've been switching between her, he, she, him, they, OP, etc.
Everyone is male by default, until proven otherwise
>>
>>48122641
Some rules will change some won't. That depends on a large number of variables that can't be determined at this point in time, seeing as the setting is in it's infancy.
>>
>>48122662
I've said many many times that the rules would depend on the country. Meaning OP had a chance to work something out. They decided /tg/ was a better solution.
>>
>>48122677
Going from the logs, you never said in your emails to MAKE A WHOLE FUCKING SETTING.
>>
>>48122576
>Also, 6d6 fire damage is probably an arcane spell.

8d6 damage from Fireball.

Fireball is a spell some clerics and druids can pick up, but divine magic is fine :^)
>>
>>48122622
>Materials mostly. Religious symbols, holy books etc. Those would be confiscated in say not-arabia.

Wouldn't this be such a huge diplomatic blunder that it'd end all trade relations between non-Arabia and not-Europe?
>>
File: 33786062_p0.jpg (607 KB, 1207x1339) Image search: [Google]
33786062_p0.jpg
607 KB, 1207x1339
If clerics and paladins can be real, why hasn't the Vatican ruled over Europe since it was first established?
>>
>>48122693
I said to give me clear guidelines as to what you wanted. At this point OP will have to go without a game. They approached me, they did not like my terms, so no game. That easy.

>>48122724
Considering there are still christian populations in the middle east, Christianity would not be heavily impacted. Limited preaching hours, limited number of religious buildings and schools, and maybe even no open celebration of non-muslim holidays.

That wouldn't end all trade relations, the money's too good.

Now a cleric of christ getting caught casting holy bolts for 4d8 damage within the ottoman empire? that's not good, depending on who the target is.
>>
File: Untitled.png (590 KB, 1248x5936) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
590 KB, 1248x5936
>>48122747
Because war and international politics are complicated.

It's not always about the biggest stick or the best casters.

Also, clerics and paladins can be real for any faith, even old ones. There could very well be secluded or secret societies of clerics and paladins dedicated to regional pantheons.
>>
>>48122758
>I said to give me clear guidelines as to what you wanted. At this point OP will have to go without a game.
He/she gave clear guidelines. You didn't ask for a whole fucking setting.
>Now a cleric of christ getting caught casting holy bolts for 4d8 damage within the ottoman empire?
Who'd give a flying fuck? He can kill some dudes, but anyone who can fight can kill dudes too.
>>
>>48122768
>Also, clerics and paladins can be real for any faith, even old ones. There could very well be secluded or secret societies of clerics and paladins dedicated to regional pantheons.

Alright, so why isn't the entire WORLD divided by religions and arcane societies and the magic they wield?

Your worldbuilding is shit.
>>
>>48122769
I asked for clear guidelines. I got X time and Y time instead and A - D themes. That's great and all, but that's really vague.

And 4d8 damage from a single power is a lot. That's a cannon, that's a piece of heavy military equipment. That's not something someone wants coming through their borders unregulated.
>>
>>48122776
Because there's more to the world than magic users. They make up a small percentage of the world. Very small, so small they don't have the manpower to really dominate the world or any reasonable section of it. They need the aid of martials and the common farmer in order to function as a nation.

And the setting is literally less than 24 hours old pal, relax.
>>
>>48120862
Having played in a few games where the setting included magic licenses and bans and whatnot, I can say that it's a hassle and a buzzkill. You're basically adding just another layer of bureacratic roleplaying tedium instead of dealing with unbalanced magic systems properly.
>>
>>48122784
Motherfucker, if you wanted your players to make the setting for you, ask for that shit.

>>48122800
Uh huh, if they're so small, then they wouldn't really have the presence to dictate laws over them.
>>
>>48122814
Not to mention that magic users in 5e from Lv1-10 aren't even overpowered.
>>
>>48122814
It's not an effort to balance anything, it's adding a layer of realism to the game.

Is it really so difficult to just add "X License" to your inventory and to be aware that going to X country with said License on you could be a bit of an encounter?

It creates a wide variety of options for creating risk and drama when crossing political borders.

Heck as a noble, OPs character could have even pursued the repealing of such requirements in their home nation, or tried to create some formal agreement with another nation that the license of one state is valid in the others and vice verse.

Or they could have pursued whatever they wanted to to in a civil country with "X license" comfortably on their person.
>>
>>48122849
>layer of realism
Also a major hassle. This guy >>48122814 is right.

>politics and lobbying just to bring magic around

Jesus Christ, who the shit wants to play this out?
>>
>>48122822
>Motherfucker, if you wanted your players to make the setting for you, ask for that shit.
I asked what OP wanted. Made a setting based on that limited info. OP objected, I justified, OP came here to create this thread to complain.

See here>>48122768

>Uh huh, if they're so small, then they wouldn't really have the presence to dictate laws over them.
This is just wrong. If only 2% of the commoner, meaning not royal or governing, population has a cannon that they can carry around in their pocket and deal 8d6 damage within a span of a few seconds, that's not going to fly with the a larger percentage of the other commoners and a large percentage of the majority.
>>
>>48122891
>Made a setting based on that limited info.
You didn't stop to think that maybe it'd be a good idea to get some kind of conversation about setting-building started?
>>
File: 1462171994895.jpg (18 KB, 270x320) Image search: [Google]
1462171994895.jpg
18 KB, 270x320
>>48122891
If 2% of the commoners can cast 3rd level spells, they're going to be the ruling class overnight.
>>
>>48122881
It's some roleplaying and maybe rolling some dice to be witty or charismatic or hide something. The game wasn't going to be 100% "You there, Her Esteemed Majesties Citizen, stop for your thirtieth frisking within a four hour period!"

It was going to be "I want to go to X country."

"X country has X laws governing your X powers."

"I decide Y"

"Ok let's see where this takes the story."

>who the shit wants to play this out?
Some people do. It was an option, not a requirement.
>>
>>48122907

>Depending on the part of the world you in from arcane magic and psionics will be illegal, even punishable by death.

That's not what this sounds like.
>>
>>48122899
Literally two e-mails. That's what I sent regarding my thoughts/desires on the setting. Two e-mails. This is all it took for OP look for support here. As opposed to actually talking with me.

>>48122905
Not when another 2-4% are martial characters, and the remaining 96-94% are easily pissed off commoners with pitch forks and knives and torches.
>>
>>48122915
"I want to go to the Ottoman Empire and not tell them I'm a powerful psionic that can alter peoples minds and bend their wills to my own."

"I hope to Christ you don't get found out."

"That's a bit heavy handed, don't you think?"

"Just be careful."

"Heavy handed, help, I'm being oppressed!"
>>
>>48122929
Looks like OP answered you AND made a thread.

>game starts at level 3
>2% of the commoners are level 5+ spellcasters
>2-4% of the commoners are martial classes
Sure is low fantasy in here.
>>
>>48122929
>Not when another 2-4% are martial characters

>and the remaining 96-94% are easily pissed off commoners with pitch forks and knives and torches.

Why tho? Those commoners also have their own families. If anything, a ruling class that's really equal, from all walks of life is going to be way more beneficial to the common man than those assholes who takes away your bibles because what if you find god?

Also, you can literally not tell a wizard apart from a not-wizard unless he waves a stick in your face, but at that point it's literally too late.
>>
>>48122953
>2% of the commoners are level 5+ spellcasters
When was level 5+ mentioned? Level 5 would be 1/1000 of the population at most.

And if you don't like low fantasy, be an adult and ask someone else to run a mid to high fantasy game for you.
>>
>>48122947
Mystics aren't even that good at charming people. Their charms are shitty and BTFO by, like, Suggestion, a level 2 spell.

What they're great at is skill monkeying.
>>
>>48122964
>This is just wrong. If only 2% of the commoner, meaning not royal or governing, population has a cannon that they can carry around in their pocket and deal 8d6 damage within a span of a few seconds, that's not going to fly with the a larger percentage of the other commoners and a large percentage of the majority.

You just said 2% of the population can Fireball a motherfucker.
>>
>>48122963
Why did people burn others to death for practicing something that isn't real? Why do people beat others to death for being homosexual, of the wrong faith, or wrong ethnicity?

People are scared easily and large numbers of scared people are violent against what they're scared of.

Especially when it's a walking pocket cannon of lightning fire and bears.

So what would the law do? they would require casters of all walks to come forth, conform to laws made help the commoners feel at ease, and maybe even be comfortably employed by the nation.

You refuse to obey the law of the land, you get punished proportional to the severity of your crime.
>>
>>48122967
Again this isn't about level appropriate encounters. It's about the voices of the masses and how rulers respond to that voice.
>>
>>48122974
That's what the non-caster commoner thinks.

Relax pal.
>>
>>48122994
>>48123003
Those 2% of the Fireball-slinging commoners will blow the fuck out of the law and establish their own ruling class, guaranteed.

One where you don't need a license to be a devout Christian with the magic to back it up.
>>
>>48122994
>Why did people burn others to death for practicing something that isn't real?

Because the burnt people couldn't fight back and show them that they meant business with legit magic.

You're hamfisting in real-world standards into a setting that would've been waaaaaaaaaay different because MAGIC IS ACTUALLY REAL.

Like, nobody would ever get a stigma against magic if it's existed since Ancient Egypt and shit like that.
>>
>>48123016
Except the 20% of the remaining 98% will overwhelm them and put in place even more draconian laws.

Square one: worse edition.
>>
>>48123029
What setting is this where there are mid-level martials running around everywhere?
And you wanted to start the party at level 3? Christ.
>>
>>48123027
>Like, nobody would ever get a stigma against magic if it's existed since Ancient Egypt and shit like that.

You mean like how people don't have stigma's against Gays, Jews, people of different colors or ethnic groups?

Oh, wait.
>>
>>48120894
Probably so they can still use fantasy racism as a stand-in for real world racism without offending real-world people.
>>
>>48123045
Gays can't sling fireballs and cure any and all disease/blindness/deafness with a touch.
>>
>>48123039
Mid level? On average level 1 - 5 with hundreds of level 1 commoners from various walks of life backing them up.
>>
>>48123016
About the same time gun owning Americans overthrow Shrillary and Bernout for taking God out of schools and guns from their hands, amirite

explain how even an armed peasant uprising wouldn't get btfo by an actual army
>>
>>48123029
That's assuming that 20% is in one spot.

Little Timmy wakes up in the middle of bumfuck nowhere knowing he can now cast fireballs.

Let's say he was bullied in school, so instead of just offering his talents up for a price, he personally sets out to charm every single person in the town.

Who the fuck is going to stop him? Do people have a "wizard sense" that makes them jump a fucker the moment he is able to cast magic?
>>
>>48123057
>on average level 1-5
So you wanted to start the party at level 3 and there are level 1-5 martials running around everywhere?

Holy hell, this is "low fantasy"? It's more like high fantasy with shit worldbuilding and "The party is no better than the mooks because realism."
>>
>>48123052
So they're even less terrifying than a caster would be to the average man or woman.

Especially if they're packing enough firebolts to kill an average man.
>>
>>48123061
>explain how even an armed peasant uprising wouldn't get btfo by an actual army

Both sides have guns.

One side here has magic, the other doesn't.
>>
>>48123067
Charm Person in 5e sucks dick because the target remembers being charmed afterwards.
>>
>>48123068
Not everywhere. less than 1% of the population would be level 5. 1% would be level one in a PC class.

The PC is already better than mooks because they're not a level 1 commoner, who make up 94-96% of the population.
>>
File: 1461678989951.jpg (531 KB, 700x790) Image search: [Google]
1461678989951.jpg
531 KB, 700x790
If magic has always existed, then the world wouldn't look like "19th century with magic," it'd look totally different with magic as an integral part of society.
>>
>>48123077
one side out numbers the other 100-1000 to 1?

magic isn't useful except for escaping at that point.

You are all also assuming that 100% of all casters disagree with the law, when in reality only 30% of all casters could even be bothered to try and change it. They got things to do.
>>
>>48123090
>1% of the population is level 1 in a PC class
>less than 1% is level 5

Alright, why is everyone worrying about the casters here? A fighter with a rifle could murder the hell out of a ton of dudes before anyone could take him down.
>>
>>48123115
You're not getting the point.

Guns would also be restricted. Cannons would be illegal, just like a fireball would be. Wizards and their kind are only getting executed in backwards, overzealous, countries and even then, not all of them. Murdering someone is still illegal no matter how you do it.

Having the means to commit mass murder is not something a government would allow anyone to walk around with.

Is this really so hard to understand people?
>>
>>48123097
This.

>>48123105
>one side out numbers the other 100-1000 to 1?

Do you really think everyone not caster would unanimously join against casters?

Casters who BTW may be powered by their own freaking god they believe in, casting miracles to cure people and create food and water?

Seriously?
>>
>>48123138
So there's magic control AND weapon control everywhere... in 1830?

Shit, better keep a close eye on any pugilists. Those level 1-5 monks can kill a man with no weapons!
>>
>>48123148
Do believe that every single caster of every level and kind would join forces against a law that only requires them to register and be a licensed professional?

They wouldn't. at most 30% of casters would actually make an effort.
>>
>>48123154
Well yeah, the whole point of police patrols is to make sure people don't get murdered or robbed or too destructive, you know?
>>
>>48123164
How would the law even come into power if the law is mostly noncaster dudes?
>>
Oh goody, it's another "I learned worldbuilding from the official D&D settings" thread.
>>
>>48123185
So OP's DM is the one in the right here, yes?
>>
>>48123180
Because it's mostly non-caster dudes who are afraid of caster dudes, and there are caster dudes who agree that the law needs to be made.

>>48123203
Yes I'm here.
>>
>>48123230
>Because it's mostly non-caster dudes who are afraid of caster dudes
This sentiment would never even start to come around if magic has always existed.
>>
>>48123235
False. Even if magic has always existed, if only 2% of the entire population can use it, that creates a prejudice within the remaining population.

Unless magic is so weak it's considered trivial, but that's obviously not the case.
>>
>>48123252
>if only 2% of the entire population can use it, that creates a prejudice within the remaining population
Not if anyone devout enough to worship God can become that very same Light domain cleric who can heal any diseases/blindness/deafness, sling fireballs, and eliminate famine.
>>
>>48123280
Except not everyone can, because not everyone has the aptitude for it and not everyone is need to so those less than ideal for the role would be turned down.

And that's not even pulling the whole "You're not truly faithful to the Lord" twist that a lot of writers and GMs use.
>>
>>48123290
Well shit, then society becomes all about praying hard enough and sharpening your mind until you can finally manifest magic, doesn't it?

It'll be like this all the way since the proto-Indo-Europeans.
>>
>>48123295
Except it doesn't, because those who don't have the aptitude are better working some other kind of job for the benefit of themselves and everyone else.

It's supply and demand. If there's only room for one engineer in a company and it's been taken by someone you're going to have to fight tooth and nail for that slot.

And sometimes your time is better spent elsewhere, unless you're content to begging for more.

That doesn't mean there isn't room for growth, it's just most people don't understand the process and how to go about it.

Because you know, 95% of people are varying ranges of average.
>>
>>48123312
There ain't no ability score requirements for casters in 5e.
>>
>>48123318
"aptitude" is a weaselword you can use even then.

That said, you'd still need to explain why the light clerics aren't elected as god-kings, since they actually have divine blessing (and then you can say the same for all other casters, since it's not like a commoner can tell the difference).
>>
>>48121148
clerics and druids are divine casters, so they would be permitted under OPs system. in any case, the law is not always rational or good.
>>
File: 1460551476243.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1460551476243.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Why would the Abrahamic religions have ever gotten off the ground if miracle-makers have been around since the dawn of humanity?
>>
>>48123363
see: ars magica
>>
>>48123334
Some would be, others wouldn't for various reasons that changes from situation to situation.

Out of those that did, some would propose the laws I mentioned above. Some would do so to protect themselves from other casters, others to protect their people. Some of the religiously motivated ones might even do it to further cement their own faith in the region.

>>48123351
It's actually not OPs system or setting. OP was complaining about a setting I proposed over two e-mails after they asked me to run a 5e game for them. This entire chain of e-mails was exchange over a single day, thus the setting is in it's absolute infancy. The law would change depending on state, county, town or city.

See these two posts
>>48122768
>>48121721

>>48123363
Because the Abrahamic God is real and always has been real? And because there's actually not that many miracle makers or miraculous warriors wondering around?

It would be an even playing field as far as PC classes go.
>>
>>48123462
>OP was complaining about a setting I proposed over two e-mails after they asked me to run a 5e game for them.
It looks like you weren't budging on that shit, and true enough, you're here in this thread defending it.
>It would be an even playing field as far as PC classes go.
So why the bans on magic?
>>
>>48123582
I don't really enjoy running settings where people can just walk around with a cannon or something of equal power. OP didn't like that, so they're not playing.

I'm currently using the thread to build a list of questions to answer in-depth. Some people might be able to come up with questions I cannot. That's why I'm keeping the thread alive.

It's not a ban, never was. But restrictions are being applies by various nations because less than 96% of population has the power to carry XdX where X is greater than 2 worth of damage wherever they go. This scares 32% of the population. That's more than enough to justify laws being put in to place to ensure order, civility, and peace within a nation as best as possible.
>>
File: 1465258730620.png (34 KB, 201x160) Image search: [Google]
1465258730620.png
34 KB, 201x160
>>48123622
>I don't really enjoy running settings where people can just walk around with a cannon or something of equal power.

Then why are you running D&D?
>>
>>48123622

Level 2 fighter with Action Surge and GWM/Sharpshooter = way more damage than just 4d8 in one turn

Better have nation-states around the world check if someone can pull off an Action Surge.
>>
>>48123682
I'd prefer to run SW, GURPS, or WoD, but majority of requests I get are for 5e, so I'm trying to run 5e. I've found 5e can be pretty flexible when it comes to situations like this. At least more so than 3.X was.

When you focus more on the character and the setting and less on their class or their bonuses, a lot becomes possible. When you place restrictions around a character it forces more creative play, which I have found is more rewarding for everyone. The same goes for increasing the risk around a situation. I'd prefer to run SW, GURPS, or WoD, but majority of requests I get are for 5e, so I'm trying to run 5e. I listened to what OP wanted, gave my spin on it. OP didn't like my spin, so I'm not going to run what would likely have become a 1v1 game for OP. So OP goes and finds a different game.

>>48123735
I've said time and again that all weapons would also be registered and regulated. A fighter wouldn't be allowed across a national checkpoint with a sword at his hilt unless he could justify it. A fighter walking around downtown anywhere with a two handed weapon on his shoulder would get arrested for brandishing arms in public. Maybe if he was carrying a dagger or short sword at his hip, but a great axe or a great sword? Too much a risk to public safety and the peace.

Is this really so hard to understand?
>>
>>48123785
meant *hip not *hilt

sorry bout that.
>>
>>48123622
5E casters may have spike damage but it's really, really finite. The hard spells-per-day limits mean you're not seeing very many fireballs in any situation whatsoever.
The whole idea of limiting magic seems more like a 3.X holdover to stop abuse but 5E doesn't require that. You're just stripping the utility of half the character classes because you don't realize that a DEX-built Battle Master Fighter with a longbow and Sharpshooter will do far more damage than a wizard in nearly all circumstances that aren't tightly-packed mobs of enemies.
>>
>>48123785
>I'd prefer to run SW, GURPS, or WoD, but majority of requests I get are for 5e, so I'm trying to run 5e. I've found 5e can be pretty flexible when it comes to situations like this.

You should be running, like, an actual low fantasy game or some shit like that.
>>
>>48123785
>When you focus more on the character and the setting and less on their class or their bonuses, a lot becomes possible. When you place restrictions around a character it forces more creative play,
Holy shit what is wrong with you?
You get more creative with less restrictions, ya git.
Either find players that aren't powergamers, or play to the powergamer's strengths instead of kicking them around for badwrongfun.
>>
>>48123785
>I've said time and again that all weapons would also be registered and regulated. A fighter wouldn't be allowed across a national checkpoint with a sword at his hilt unless he could justify it. A fighter walking around downtown anywhere with a two handed weapon on his shoulder would get arrested for brandishing arms in public. Maybe if he was carrying a dagger or short sword at his hip, but a great axe or a great sword? Too much a risk to public safety and the peace.

Do people have to go be inspected at checkpoints in case they're monks who can kill people with their bare hands?

Do martial artists and pugilists get nasty looks from everyone?

This weapon control bullshit is ridiculous.
>>
>>48123785
>I've said time and again that all weapons would also be registered and regulated
Tavern Brawler Fighter - regulate my FISTS
>>
>>48123785
>When you place restrictions around a character it forces more creative play, which I have found is more rewarding for everyone.

The only nonmagical classes you've got left are, like:
Barbarian
Fighter
Rogue

That's fucking IT. And you'll have to ignore all of their supernatural archetypes too.
>>
>>48123846
But you can also be a Cleric/Paladin if you sign these 58 legal documents and only serve gods that are permissible to the public eye and don't ever cast any spells outside designated casting areas!
>>
>>48123862
Or a druid or a ranger.

Come to think of it, the hell us up with those here? Do they get hunted down for using pagan nature magic?
>>
File: 1461035536873.jpg (452 KB, 2000x1462) Image search: [Google]
1461035536873.jpg
452 KB, 2000x1462
Why does "low fantasy" and "realism" together mean "everyone hates magic users lolololol"?

I get it for 3.5 where tier 1 casters are game breaking, but in 5e? Really?
>>
>>48123800
Okay here's the thing, if your caster is the kind who actively engages large groups of enemies on a regular basis then chances are you are employed and authorized by some authority figure. This means you have the licensing and registration required to justify having a Class X spell in your book or what have you.

The same goes for being a fighter walking around with a massive amount of damage potential.

If you're not obeying the law and still actively engaging large groups of enemies, feel free. But that makes you a criminal. Thus you choose to assume a level of risk engaging in such activities. This applies regardless of the class you are.

>>48123820
That's why I run SW, where the risk of death is always there unless I hand out bennies like candy, GURPS where I can build whatever I want, and WoD where you're just a human with no special powers hoping to god you get out alive.

>>48123831
Thinking outside the box and not having a box are two different things anon.

This is how I find players that aren't power gamey. With one or two e-mails. OP approached me, remember?

>>48123837
It's not bullshit, it's maintaining the peace.

>>48123845
So you get arrested, put on trial, found innocent or guilty depending, and then punished accordingly.

>>48123846
>>48123862
Except you can play any class. You just need one sheet of paper that you can roleplay getting and maintaining if you want to, and can be used as plot hooks to move the story forward. Bam you can play any caster. Want to cast high damage spells? Lets work through a story to justify why. Or lets put why in your character sheet. Is this that hard people?

>>48123897
They different and have access to powers people don't understand. Does every commoner hate them? no. Does every commoner fear them? no. But enough do that a lot of nations adopted laws to help reduce that fear.
>>
File: 907.jpg (16 KB, 177x219) Image search: [Google]
907.jpg
16 KB, 177x219
>>48123942
>and WoD where you're just a human with no special powers hoping to god you get out alive.

>playing WoD
>as a generic human
Nigger you what?
I don't remember "Human: the Normal Everyday" being a fucking WoD sourcebook.
>>
>>48123942
>So you get arrested, put on trial, found innocent or guilty depending, and then punished accordingly.
FOR HAVING FISTS?
>>
>>48123966
There are rules for it in both editions. Except it's not Human: The Normal Life, it's Human: What the fuck are these, who the fuck are those guys, why the fuck am I in a truck, what the fuck was that, what the fuck happened, why the fuck is it that thing again.

You know, a horror game where it's about trying to be the one or two who barely get about alive at the end?
>>
>>48123980
No for attacking someone with them. This isn't that hard to understand.
>>
>>48123897

Because the GM doesn't want to put up with caster shenanigans but feels inclined to deal with them in a passive aggressive sort of way, so instead of "no casters" he says "well fine you can make a caster but it'll suck for basically everyone involved."
>>
>>48123987

You can play a mortal in Exalted too but that's hardly the point.
You seem to have a fixation for using systems for things they are not, from the bottom to the top, designed to mechanically do.
>>
>>48123998
Nobody's going to be out killing people at random, mate. It's a matter of self-defense and who is armed and not armed. Enemies are given by the DM in D&D.
If you're trying to run D&D and have it not feature combat regularly, well, you definitely need another system.
>>
>>48124022
Except the NWoD core book, you know, the blue one, is entirely about playing a human in NWoD.

And it's just as easy to do in OWoD.
>>
>>48124039
>Nobody's going to be out killing people at random, mate.

This is just false in the context of society at large, which is the whole point of law: regulating a society and its functions.

>If you're trying to run D&D and have it not feature combat regularly, well, you definitely need another system.
I've stated before that I prefer to not run D&D, however OP asked me to run a roleplaying heavy 5e game because they did not want to play any of the other games I'm willing to run.

They didn't like my proposal so they get to go find another person to run a game for them. That easy.
>>
>>48124043
Surely you've noticed that nobody ever runs "core" WoD games.
>>
>>48124195
Second WoD game I played was human only. It was fantastic. I played in several after that. I've ran several myself with mixed results. Recruiting from /tg/ tends to provide varying result from people dropping the game in anger to people coming back for more. Recruiting from my FLGS or work often yields better results.

It's just different ways of having fun.
>>
I don't get why everyone shits on this guy's setting. Having magic regulated doesn't mean you can't use it.
I gather, the player would probably start in notLondon with their appropriate licences except if they were playing an outlaw to begin with.
The hindrance on travel just means foreign countries are no the most welcoming.
Goody-two-shoes will enlist in their country's military and get permits while murderhobos will disregard any regulations and get the police breathing down their neck. Hopefully the players are inbetween the two.
Ok, sure this may have holes in it for absolute realism but what setting isn't? We're not agruing about this being a perfect setting, we're arguig about is it playable or not.
This does nothing about balancing magic except giving a way for the authorities to enforce their law, and it's better than "you enthralled too much peasants, we sent paladins from another country on your ass".
Who hasn't played a setting where some areas of the world don't like magic?

I for one, like it a lot.
>>
>>48123942
>If you're not obeying the law and still actively engaging large groups of enemies, feel free. But that makes you a criminal.

What if I'm fighting cultists or monsters or something?
>>
>>48124500
>Who hasn't played a setting where some areas of the world don't like magic?

Dislike, yes, kill on sight, no.
>>
>>48124501
Then they likely attacked you first or you're acting on behalf the the authorities. Completely different situation that will be handled differently.

Self defense is still allowed, even for casters, at least in not-london and most of not-europe.
>>
>>48124518
Some parts of the world are more savage and less tolerant than the others. Pretty normal.
>>
File: 1463634266289.png (202 KB, 455x521) Image search: [Google]
1463634266289.png
202 KB, 455x521
>>48124500
>>48124518
>>48124548
This setting would work in a non-D&D game.

In a D&D game? Hahahahaha, what the fuck are you doing? This isn't a game where weapons and spells get regulated all the time.
>>
>>48124548
Yes, but they don't single out anyone who carries a sword, or someone who can maybe cast a spell.
>>
>>48124572
Except they can. Just because it's against the norm doesn't mean it's wrong. Don't like the idea and system don't play. Like the idea but not the system, I'm open to suggestions and have already listed options I'm most familiar with. Don't like the idea? You'll have to find another GM for the time being.
>>
>>48124611
Why are you still running this in D&D?

It's clear this doesn't work for D&D.
>>
>>48124587
But they do. We're talking about a world where people are always distrustful of strangers, especially strangers with weapons or rumored to have powers beyond their understanding.

>>48124621
Don't know that till I've tried it with a group of good reliable roleplayers.
>>
>>48120923
>humans are already mechanically the best by far.
Darkvision what?
Sure, the free feat from variant human is good for many builds, but not all of them. I pretty much only play a variant human when I know I will either get some other source of darkvision, or be able to produce my own magical light.
>>
>>48123966
>>48123987
I like the Paladin and The Gears stuff that /tg/ made for WoD.
>>
>>48124500
Would you like me to send you the setting supplement once it's completed?
>>
>>48124789
I don't believe I've seen those. Do you have a link?
>>
>>48124794
sure go ahead
if you have twitter @wired_guest or else I'll whip up a mail adress
>>
>>48124869
I'm afraid I do not.
>>
>>48124913
then go for [email protected] but don't judge, that's an old address
>>
>>48120862
There were a number of occultists and "psychics" in the 19th century who weren't executed for it.
>>
>>48125158
In some parts of the worlds. In others they're still executed for it.
>>
>>48125193
Didn't some country execute a goat for witchcraft a while back, or something? Like, they thought it was a witch that had turned into a goat, so they killed it.
>>
>>48125193
>>48125296
Yeah, in Assfuck Africa.
>>
>>48125296
>>48125322
Yeah, shit also happens in south america, south east asia, western china, the middle east.

what's the house of Saud's record for this year?

Specifically for using witchcraft accusations to justifying whipping, mutilating, and executing people who don't mean the standards of the norm?
>>
>>48122033
Those are love live characters.
>>
>>48120862
Why even use D&D at this point?
>>
Isn't this whole ban on magic gimmick more for 3.X games hamfistedly trying to balance casters? Why do it in 5e?
>>
>>48121711
This sounds like an awesome setting. I'd be more than willing to join if you're still looking for players.
>>
>>48127548
Eh. Sounds like standard 19th century + inexplicable magic to me.
>>
>>48127769
Then don't join? I never asked for an opinion, I asked the DM if I could join.
>>
>>48127548
>>48128018
Not a problem, just shoot me an e-mail!

gm(dot)ns001 at gmail
>>
File: Eardrum Pierce.jpg (32 KB, 320x322) Image search: [Google]
Eardrum Pierce.jpg
32 KB, 320x322
Isn't the problem between the OP and OP's GM basically miscommunications and different expectations?

OP wanted high fantasy with forest gnome kingdoms and tiefling empires and thought the magic bans were the generic grimderp witch hunts, OP's GM wanted historical low fantasy with really low power levels and lots of realism.

Running the second in D&D is like having an eardrum pierced tbqh.
>>
>>48128431
>Running the second in D&D is like having an eardrum pierced tbqh.
Page 9 of the DMG actually recommends this exact concept.
>>
>>48128964
If you're doing it, you'd better modify the rules a shitload, not just go "Take these passive-aggressive restrictions on EVERY class guys :^)"
>>
>>48129022
No I think I'll just be passive-aggressive against everyone :^)

But really, the setting barely a day off the ground. Wait for the finished product before you judge.
>>
>>48129077
Word of advice, ditch the stupid weapons and magic bans.

This is still fucking D&D. People don't play D&D to go through TSA checkpoints that might stop them from using their class abilities.
>>
>>48129128
Those will be staying.
>>
>>48129142
Why? It's not even realistic. People didn't go through TSA checkpoints in the 19th century.
>>
Is this thread living proof that D&Dfags are manchildren who want unrealistic power fantasies all day?
>>
>>48129170
Border check points were very much a thing in the 19th century. Nations had a keen interest in regulating and controlling the people and goods that crossed their borders. Doesn't mean the entire border between a nation was walled and manned 24/7. It also doesn't mean that people could do and possess whatever they wanted wherever they went.

>>48129237
No need for insults man.
>>
>>48129291
>Border check points were very much a thing in the 19th century.

Yes, but not "take away your weapons" checkpoints.

What, they're going to let you into the country without any means of defending yourself from the wild animals and bandits you might find in your travels? Fuck that shit.

And what, they're scared that a spellcaster might bring out a fireball? Fuck THAT, they should be terrified about the GWM/Sharpshooter fighter who can murderface everyone.
>>
>>48120862
>Heavily shoehorning modern-ish earth into 5e.
It would be way easier to use Shadowrun and drop the future tech and hacking.
Just saying.
>>
>>48124737
>not offhanding a torch for 1d4 fire damage and light
>>
>>48129352
What really gets me is that this asshole is doing the thing where it's 19th century earth, except there's magic.

The 1800s would've looked completely different if humanity had magic from the start.
>>
>>48129347

A pistol is a sidearm. A wizard who can cast fireballs is the equivalent of an artillery piece. The border guards wouldn't take a gentleman's pistol, might have some objections to him rolling through the checkpoint with a cannon.
>>
>>48121180
What the fuck sort of name is Edna?
>>
>>48129404
Maybe it just showed up yesterday like Shadowrun, or its a well kept secret like owod.

That's how you can justify keeping the history.
>>
>>48129424
Uh.

Fireball from level 5 wizard = 8d6 damage

Human Battlemaster fighter with revolver using Action Surge and 4 superiority dice at level 5 = (2d8+Dex+1d8+10) + (2d8+Dex+1d8+10) + (2d8+Dex+1d8+10) + (2d8+Dex+1d8+10), plus whatever the superiority dice do

Are they going to arrest the fighter for being a living cannon with any ranged weapon?

You know shit about 5e, don't you?
>>
i don't understand whats happening in this thread anymore
>>
>>48129424
Wizards should really hide their identities. It's difficult to trust a human artillery piece.
>>
>>48129347
>Yes, but not "take away your weapons" checkpoints.

This is wrong.

>What, they're going to let you into the country without any means of defending yourself from the wild animals and bandits you might find in your travels? Fuck that shit.
Then don't travel to nations that have a no tolerance policy.

>And what, they're scared that a spellcaster might bring out a fireball? Fuck THAT, they should be terrified about the GWM/Sharpshooter fighter who can murderface everyone.
Hence why there are also restrictions on all weapons depending on where you're going.

If you want the right to wear and possess whatever you want without consequence just move to a less civil area, the American frontiers for example, or the less populous areas of more exotic lands.

Otherwise, respect the laws and customs of your host nation.

>>48129352
I'd honestly prefer to run this game in Savage Worlds or GURPS. OP contacted me asking for a high fantasy 5e game, I proposed a gritty low fantasy 5e game because I've found I enjoy gritty low fantasy games. OP made this post to garner support for the idea that I'm suggest wrongbadfun and should see the error of my ways.

>>48129404
You're making a lot of assumptions about a setting that barely 30 hours old. Relax.
>>
>>48129497
You literally can't tell a wizard from any other dude.
>>
>>48129511
>Then don't travel to nations that have a no tolerance policy.
"Well I guess we're staying in this one spot forever."

>If you want the right to wear and possess whatever you want without consequence just move to a less civil area, the American frontiers for example, or the less populous areas of more exotic lands.
D&D kinda expects you to be able to use your CLASS ABILITIES wherever you adventure.
>>
>>48129563
>"Well I guess we're staying in this one spot forever."
That's your choice,

>D&D kinda expects you to be able to use your CLASS ABILITIES wherever you adventure.
No that's what you and some other members of its player base expect.
>>
>>48129511
>I'd honestly prefer to run this game in Savage Worlds or GURPS.
Then why did you offer 5e?
>>
>>48129617
Because I can also run this game in 5e. OP picked 5e, didn't like the idea, so OP wont be playing. If you don't like the idea or system or the combination of the two then don't play.
>>
>>48129721
If you'd rather run it in GURPS or SW just don't fucking say 5e so you don't get people expecting D&D fantasy.
>>
>>48120862
>set in a historical fantasy version of Earth's 19th century, with D&D races cut down to human lifespans
similar to my campaign, except it's 1700's.
>firearms exist
Same, but they're relegated to certain officers of the church and a couple of custom classes (who also are church-affiliated)
>arcane magic and psionics tend to be illegal, feared, and punishable by death
Witch hunts! fuck yeah!
Really it has to do with clerical jealousy. All power should come from the Divine.
holy wars exist for a reason
>game will run up to level 10 at most
I don't have a level cap per se, but there is a limit to what you can achieve on your own. In order to advance beyond level 11, you need to have a "sponsor", whether it's the gods of magic, the Divine Gods, dragons, whatever. Level 11 is the threshold of biological capability. Anything beyond that is "heroic", and you need help to cross that threshold.
>Is this too heavy-handed and arbitrary against magical classes and the mystic?
It's worked out for my players since 2009.
>>
>>48129721
>Player ask for a type of game
>GM say "Well, it's not my thing, I prefer this type of game"
>It's a bad thing
seriously

Besides, I would love to play in your setting as a monk. Lots of fun can be had
>>
>>48129756
Page 9 of the DMG specifically lists this exact setting type as a viable option. Details such as local laws, the worlds reaction to presence of magic and super human fighters, is left entirely up the DM.

Again, if you don't like the combination, don't play. Complaining that I'm doing it wrong isn't going to solve anything, especially when I already have three new people asking to be players for this exact concept.

To each their own buddy.
>>
>>48129789
The level cap was something OP wanted me to include since they never intended to play beyond level 10.

>>48129831
gm(dot)ns001 at gmail

Feel free to join! you'll be my fourth player if everything works out!

Just give me a bit of time to prepare supplemental materials, the setting isn't even two days old.
>>
>>48129840
D&D designers claim their game can do something it's bad at, news at 11
>>
>>48129545
Except for outlandish dress. Besides, there's no need for proof. "Looks like a wizard to me"."That guy turned me into a newt". Etc. Suspicion can be enough to cause trouble.
>>
>>48129877
I can't, I'm french and I speak english like a spanish cow
>>
nico nico nii~
>>
>>48129878
If people enjoy the idea how is it bad? This thread has had several people expressing interest.

>>48129905
That's too bad.

You seem to read and write English reliably enough.
>>
>>48129949

>If people enjoy the idea how is it bad?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gor
>>
>>48129877
>The level cap was something OP wanted me to include since they never intended to play beyond level 10.
for me and my game, the cap isn't so much a cap as it is a threshold on what you can do on your own. You can train every day to be a sprinter or a wrestler or a black belt in whatever martial art you choose- likewise you can study spells or hurl javelins or shoot arrows or a gun and get super-proficient at these things- olympic gold medals and the like- but to take it beyond gold medal, you need a boost. A God(dess) or dragon or whatever can give you that boost so that you can dash faster than a normal person, punch down buildings, shoot a trick-shot arrow or bullet, gain access to higher tiers of magical spells and the like, but you obviously have to champion that deity's cause.

Usually by around level 9 or 10 there's a number of powers that're interested in making a deal with you.
>>
>>48129721
OP is a shit and probably a tranny anyways, your game sounds really fun.
>>
>>48130018
>Implying gor fan are bad
I like my sex-loving submissive roleplay girl
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.