[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General - /gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1467332039279.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1467332039279.pdf
1 B, 486x500
"Vehicles when?" edition.

Previous thread: >>48049425
>>
>>48111483

My group is playing a game in the Forgotten realms settings and I'm playing a mage character. However I'm kinda stuck on how powerful a mage should be.
Does anyone know a good build for a combat mage?
>>
>>48111483
Hate to start off thread with just questions but

I'm starting up a campaign again but using GURPS for it this time. The PCs are a couple of Merc's turned knights in a low fantasy game. They've been put in charge of a town, and eventually are probably gonna be building a fighting force (there's a civil war on the horizon) and a town. I have the PDF for mass combat, but where can I find rules for building forts, towns, and managing those resources and such?
>>
>>48111630
I'm assuming you're using the default magic system. What's your starting point budget?
In general, you're going to be more useful trying to do things the rest of the party can't do rather than outpace them in terms of damage, but that doesn't mean you can't have a handful of good attack spells. In general, you're going to want to have one or two (three at the absolute most) attack spells at a high enough skill level that the FP cost drops to 0; if they're your bread-and-butter attacks, it won't do to have them be an intense resource drain. You're always going to be firing fairly slowly, however, as missile spells take at least one round of casting *before* you spend a round attacking.

Dungeon Fantasy is meant to emulate D&D to a certain extent, and the starting characters are supposedly the equivalent of level 4-5 characters; look at the example blaster wizard if you want spell selections.

>>48111941
There's a small PDF called City Stats floating around. Pyramid #3/54 Social Engineering has the "City Management" article that uses that splat and gives some rules. The short version is that you set the taxation rate for the towns and can spend that money on a variety of civic projects, economic growth, defense, or riotous living. There's also a small bit on administrative duties (i.e. roll Administration once a month to see how badly you screwed the town over) and building new towns.

If you want something more in depth, there's also Lord of the Manor in a different issue of Pyramid, which looks at how much land a ruling lord owns (and what's grown on it) to find how much they get in taxes. The money could then be spent via Low-Tech Companion 3's rules on fortifications and large-scale engineering. Even if you don't want this level of detail, Lord of the Manor may be a useful read if your "city" is more of a center for surrounding farmland and you want some help eyeballing the town's tax revenue.
>>
>>4811194

I'm just going to say this, if you're getting started with GURPS don't overload yourself with too many rules too quickly. Start with the Basic set and ease into it. Start with basic combat and then move to advanced, judging your party's reactions on how crunchy things are becoming. If they want more crunch go from there.

What you're describing, having PCs manage resources and build forts and steer a whole war sounds like an absolute drag to play or run. But if you're group is super crunchy try easing them into it.
>>
>>48112479
>missile spells take at least one round of casting *before* you spend a round attacking.
Compartmentalized Mind (Magic, -10%; Magic Only, -10%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [30] lets a mage throw a missile spell every turn (assuming a 1 second casting time).
>>
>>48112738
That's a hell of an investment and also an advantage that is normally disallowed.

Attacking every other turn is fine -- it's what archers do and it's what melee fighters *should* do (spending a turn to feint is stupidly useful).
>>
>>48112854
It's about as much as Extra Attack or Heroic Archer and does about the same thing (for certain values of 'same' and 'thing'). I wasn't able to find anywhere that says it's disallowed (in fact, DF 14 Psis has it as a power-up for mentalists... which is not to say it's explicitly allowed but I don't play DF so I'm probably missing something.)
>>
I could have sworn that, in at least one GURPS supplement, there is a "price modifier" for Disadvantages beyond the Self-Control number of 6. In other words, a Disadvantage which is always on/always in effect.

Were someone to point me in the right direction, that would be swell.
>>
>>48113302
I think Powers has the Temporary Disadvantage limitation give "no control roll" a x2.5 multiplier (makes sense seeing that 12 is x1, 9 is x1.5, and 6 is x2) so you could, for example, *always* be Berserk when you switch on your +10 ST. Whether you want to make this available to disadvantages in general is up to you.
>>
>>48112479
I'm >>48111941
Do you know where I can find these PDFs? Google didn't give me anything.
>>
>>48113746
See the image attached to the OP? Click on it.
>>
>>48113815
Fucking Christ. On mobile, didn't realize it said PDF.
Thanks anon.
>>
>>48112579
To many people don't try the alternative systems either, Lapidism and Sacrificial Brokerages from Urban Magics is hilariously fun.
>>
Hey, does anyone have suggestions on how to make my character immune/resistant to EXPLOSIONS? I was considering getting the explosive enhancement for my innate attack but I don't want to get blown up when I use it also.
>>
>>48117160
Damage Reduction ONLY for explosive damage.
>>
>>48117160
Selective area on p.108 maybe? I'm not sure if an explosive counts as an area of effect though because it has important differences.
>>
>>48117386
Looking at selective area, p.105 in Powers, it seems like it might be allowed with GM consent.
>>
>>48111630
>My group is playing a game in the Forgotten realms settings
Why would you do that.
>>
>>48118024
I'm GMing on a Brazilian setting made for D&D, too. We call it masochism. It's a thing.
>>
>>48118093
>Brazillian
I am very curious what your phone autocorrected from to get "Brazillian."
Or is it a D&D setting written by and for Brazillians?
>>
>>48118349
Written by. Pretty much, the Gods died trying to save the planet from Chtulhu, and transported every race to the Seventh Moon of that planet, were orcs are originally from. Now they try to figure out how to live knowing that the Gods are Dead, Knowing that the Annihilation can still break free from whatever the Gods did to it, and that every time the Planet covers the moon, every creature from the underdark go out for a rape-fest. Oh, and the orcs are good guy rangers.

There's also some archaeological stuff older than the orcs, and Magitek. There's a human empire bordering on TL 5^, with everyone else at TL 4. Pretty fun, although autistic as fuck.
>>
>>48113520

An angel that is always Charitable, for instance.
>>
>>48118494
Was this published officially? Sounds pretty cool and I'd love to read up on it, though if it is published I'm guessing it'd be in Portuguese only.
>>
>>48118988
Yup. But it is portuguese only. The Campaign Setting is images, but the World book is OCR. Maybe google can translate it.
>>
>>48119132
Shame. Ah well, I guess I'll do what I can with your synopsis. Thanks Anon!
>>
I can't print the character sheet from GCS, does anyone have any advice or idea how to fix it?
>>
>>48121571
Export it as a pdf, then print the pdf?
I've had trouble with it too, time an again. That was how I circumvented the issue.
>>
>>48121648
How do I export it to PDF? I'm kinda retarded at using this program so far
>>
>>48121659

File, Save As, change the file type to PDF.
>>
>>48121709
Figured it out, you just saved my life my dude
I would post lewds to award you but this is /tg/ so just take my gratitude
>>
File: unnamed (2).gif (3 MB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).gif
3 MB, 384x384
>>48121737
I will happily accept gratitude. That is fine.
>>
If encumbrance isn't a factor are there any downsides to using a Force Sword as a fencing weapon (MA215 gives it as an option)?
>>
>>48122322
Can't parry vibro-flails?
>>
>>48122686
So, no basically. That player will be very happy (until I start throwing mobility hazards in anyway).
>>
It's a shame theses threads aren't more popular.
>>
>>48124383
The game itself isnt' very popular, too many memes leftover from 3e.
>>
>>48124383
>>48124394
And there aren't edition wars to keep the thread bumped.
>>
>>48124442
2e = BEST
4IES GO HOME
>>
>>48124442
It doesn't help they're tons of bad threads on /tg/ that artificially slide good but not popular threads to page 9.
>>
>>48124476
'Tis the nature of imageboards, and it's been like this for years now.

Speaking of which, one wouldn't happen to know of a repository of Sorcery Spells, right? A player of mine is really new to RPGs, and if we don't get past chargen quick, I could lose him. Hell, I might even make his character for him, I want to start running this as quickly as possible too. Been on a dry spell for so long.
>>
>>48124644
Just grab some advantages, throw them into an Affliction, and apply Sorcery, -15%. Make most of his spells utility (climbing, DR, skill boosts, etc.) buffs for allies. Also give him several tactical spells (binding, darkness, affliction:stun, affliction:retching).

Similarly, just make an Innate Attack for his offensive ability (or abilities; a decent damage single target attack, an area attack, and, my personal favorite for a mage, a no-wounding double knockback attack).

One of my players has a pretty good list but he went full on autist and most of them are full of fiddly bits with excessive limitations. Not worth a damn for a new player.
>>
>>48124394
>The game itself isnt' very popular

It's a shame, but it's completely understandable why.
>>
>>48124846
I know how to make Sorcery Spells, anon. My player would probably appreciate more if it came in a 'shopping list' format. If there really is none of it out there, I'll just bite the bullet and make the list myself though, thanks anyways.
>>
>>48125954
I think Powers has a shopping list of, well, powers; you can show him those and say "slap on an extra -15% for Sorcery" and call it a day.
>>
>>48125979
Similarly, Divine Favor has a bunch of good abilities you can just change the power modifier for, and Dungeon Fantasy 14: Psis as well.
>>
>>48125954
>just bite the bullet and make the list
That was really kind of what I was suggesting. Insomnia is probably keeping me from being clear.
>>
>>48126014
Hell, the entire Psionic Powers splat works for this.

These all have a leg up on Powers, becasue IIRC all attacks were priced at around 50 points. Utility and defensive powers were more varied in price, but if the player is using it as a shopping list, it's going to be quite a while before they can afford to learn an attack spell.
>>
I'm completely new to GURPS and want to DM for my group who also has no experience with GURPS.

The setting I'm planing to play is pretty similar to our world, and I want to start out at the point where humanity gets superpowers. Still unsure how they get superpowers yet, but there are many possibilities.

How many points would be good to give the players, considering that we're playing in a modern setting, and that their characters just got their abilities? The characters should feel strong enough, but I want a good progression by making them start on the weaker side of superheroes and give them more points over time. Guns and explosives should still be strong for them to use and against them.

Are there any tips you still could give me or things I should look out for? I'm trying to keep most to the Basic Set, but I'm also looking at parts of "Supers" and "Powers".
>>
>>48126077
Heads up: GURPS can do supers, but its harder. In fact, it's hard enough that I recommend you reconsider either the campaign or the system; a PL6 Mutants & Masterminds game may be better for what you have in mind.

There's nothing really innate about the GURPS system that makes it hard to do supers; it's mostly the incredibly high point budget required to get anything approaching super and the level of granularity when spending them. GURPS is dauting due to its size and tossing people the book and 500 points to spend is going to get weird. Best bet is to have people buy expensive power packages and use Wildcard skills.

If you do want to do this in GURPS, I'd suggest maybe 400-500 points. That's what Monster Hunters PCs start at, and they're on the highest possible end of humanity; guns are still a threat when they hit, but they have the skills to regularly avoid the worst of it (alongside vampires, werewolves, angry mages, etc.). If you spend those points on abilities rather than just raw skills, it should be fine (some MH PCs would be at place on the comics pages anyway; the Commando is about as good as the Punisher, the Witch is about at John Constantine's level, and there were a shit ton of comics in the 90s where monster PCs would feel very at home). Supers also lists 400 as the braking point between Low- and Mid-Powered supers.
>>
>>48121968

Hold on... I'm the Anon who posted the answer, but I'm not the one who replied. Some motherfucker just stole my gratitude!
>>
>>48126261
Adding to this. The Archetype template from Supers is very much inspired by Superman and comes out to 2,000 points. Batman would probably be the equivalent of stacking the Acrobat, Nightstalker, Renaissance Man, and Superspy templates, coming out to 1,250. Those are a lot of points to spend even if using templates; just giving that many points to your players and letting them run loose is GMing suicide.
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 4 = 8 (3d6)

>>48126340
Rolling detect lies.
>>
>>48126460
He seems to be telling the truth.
>>
Rolled 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 3, 4, 2, 3 = 38 (9d6)

>>48126489
Then I'll attempt to use stealth to become unseen, shadowing to follow the anon which absconded with the gratitude, and pickpocket to steal the gratitude and return it to it's rightful owner.
>>
>>48126593
I seem to have found myself in a heap of trouble.
>>
>>48126261
>>48126428
Thanks for the info. Maybe giving them so much points is not the best idea.

I thought about giving them less points, and not really making them supers from the start but more like humans with some kind of ability to make them stronger. I'm totally fine with them not being so strong as long as it benefits the overall game.

I've thought about giving them 250 to 300 points maybe, they are not supposed to be ultra powerful from the start, as they just got their abilities.
>>
>>48126699
desu, I think 150/-50 is more than fine enough for one-power weak supers.
>>
>>48126808
Guess I will make 1 or 2 example characters to get a better picture of how many points I will give to them.

I want to limit them to one type of ability like Ice properties. One of my players is probably doing a Gunslinger type character which should be fine, but another one want to go for mind control, and I'm unsure how this will work with not so many points.
>>
>>48126077
>>48126261

Would gurps do well at supers if you weren't just giving them points?

Like if they had budgets for categories (abilities, powers, skills, advantages), and some smaller pool of free points, and then a bunch of premade powers to choose from, with "build your own power" as a GM coordinated activity?
>>
>>48129267
Personally, I think GURPS does a pretty good job at supers without all this. One of my favourite characters was a Super (on a post-cyberpunk setting!).
>>
I'm this >>48127301 anon and I have a question about the Mind Control advantage.

You can control everyone affected by this ability for as long as you concentrate right? Now while you don't concentrate the effect "lingers". Does that mean you are still able to control him for the duration without concentrating, or do you have to concentrate again?
>>
>>48130505
Also when do you give your targets your orders? Do you say what they should do when it's their turn? Or do you specify that in your turn where you are concentrating, to tell them what they should do when their turn comes?
>>
>>48129267
Possibly. A Template system like monster hunters might make it easier for newer players. Personally i think the main problems with supers are the weirdness of how strength interacts with weapons and that is more difficult to build characters for a new player.

Seriously though i don't know why a weapon's maximum ST is tied to its minimum ST. Wouldn't the maximum ST bonus be related to its construction and sturdiness rather than the vague "weight" or whatever ST is supposed to represent? You have to wield a giant block of lead to do any damage with a super!
>>
>>48126699
250-300 will give you sort of "teenage mutant ninja turtles" level heroes or lower end interpretations of daredevil, cyclops etc.
>>48126808
You aren't really playing supers at that point, you are playing "modern with fantasy elements". Those characters would likely be at serious risk when facing two muggers, let alone a bank robbery, a super-villain or aliens. That's not necessarily bad if you want a gritty realistic noir game but with supernatural powers, but its pretty shit for supers.
>>
At 120/-50 how much DX and strength would a TL3 fantasy melee (probably human, might consider a larger creature) character want to aim for?

I have more than 120 points, i just want to try and keep the rest for non-stabby things like wealth, survivalist, riding, savor-faire etc etc.
>>
>>48132066
Only raise DX if you have five or more skills at [4]. You're better off getting HT. It's cheaper, gives you Speed, and keeps you from dying/succumbing to disease/getting flashbang'd by time travelers.

As for ST, look at swing damage breakpoints - 13 is when you get your second die of swing damage and a full die of thrust, so on a low point budget that might be decent to shoot for. 11 or 12 is good, too, since each gives you +1 to swing damage. 11 is enough if you're using a thrusting weapon.
>>
>>48131894
Hmm. Yeah, that would make more sense. But then they'd have to assign durability ratings to their weapons, and evidently they didn't.
>>
>>48132252
I was going to run a highly cinematic metal gear rising game using supers rules and stuff but that was one of the many rules that made me decide it would take too much homebrew and I'm too inexperienced.
>>
>>48130703
>>48130505
Anyone?
>>
File: 1441282433957-2.jpg (44 KB, 474x960) Image search: [Google]
1441282433957-2.jpg
44 KB, 474x960
>>48132351
I don't know.
>>
>>48132421
Um, thanks I guess
>>
>>48130505
>You can control everyone affected by this ability for as long as you concentrate right?
Seems like it. There's a specific enhancement in Powers for independent mind control (works without needing Concentration maneuvers).

>Does that mean you are still able to control him for the duration without concentrating, or do you have to concentrate again?
The former.
>If you win, your victim will obey your every command until you free
>him. In effect, he temporarily gains the Reprogrammable disadvantage
>(p. 150), with you as his master.

>Also when do you give your targets your orders? Do you say what they should do when it's their turn? Or do you specify that in your turn where you are concentrating, to tell them what they should do when their turn comes?
Talking is a 'free' action (B363), so whenever? Not sure for other stuff, but probably as soon as the QC resolves.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160705-170344.png (895 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160705-170344.png
895 KB, 1440x2560
>>48132351
I asked virtually the same question on the sjgames forum a while back. Pic related, there's your answer straight from the horse's mouth.
>>
>>48133280
>>48133459
>>Does that mean you are still able to control him for the duration without concentrating, or do you have to concentrate again?
>The former.
Okay that seems really strong for combat. Even if you don't control your enemies to hurt themselves or each other you could just make them stand in place for the whole fight.

This would mean that you only need to concentrate if you want control over them for a long duration, which to me seems strong for a 50point advantage.

Is it too strong for a 250-300 point game?
>>
>>48133544
I might be wrong on the former. I didn't dive through the forums (which everyone here should do if they have rules questions) for an 'official' ruling.

Besides that, though, I'm of the opinion that every power should have limitations and enhancements on it to make it unique. Maybe you can only mind control arthropods, but you can control *all* of them at once. Maybe your mind control only works on the opposite sex and is based on pheromones. Limitation inspires creativity, which will make clever play all the more rewarding. Mind Control as-is is an easy 'I Win' button.
>>
>>48133544
Well there are anti-mind control defenses like anything that works against psionics or possessing Self-Mastery.

Plus touching someone isn't going to be too easy, though I'm sure there's a way to get it at a distance for not too many more points.
>>
>>48133635
For mind control you don't have to touch them, you can also use it when you see them.

I will probably go along with what >>48133630 said and give my player a few limitations on Mind Control if he wants to play something like that.
>>
File: 575562_original.jpg (77 KB, 510x665) Image search: [Google]
575562_original.jpg
77 KB, 510x665
Stat me
>>
>>48134785
Regular buck-and-shot. First hit gives full damage, the rest follow shotshell rules.
>>
Any thoughts on intentionally failing resistance rolls, say, in the case of an ally trying to give you an advantage via an affliction? Would you just have to fail your resistance normally or could you accept it as a willing target?
>>
>>48131894
>You have to wield a giant block of lead to do any damage with a super!
Well, that explains why superheroes usually prefer to fist fight and throw cars at each other instead of using proper weapons.
>>
Are cost of living rules just fucked at low TLs?
Shit like "costs six times as much whilst travelling" makes no fucking sense (20% of your cost of living PER DAY)
>>48135902
Tons of superstrength people in comic books, cartoons and other material use weapons though like swords or hammers and most of those usually don't require strength 500 to wield.
>>
>>48135989
Not really. I mean, quality of life was pretty fucking shit that time. It's supposed to be bad. That's why everyone is Status -1.
>>
File: Capture.png (42 KB, 506x211) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
42 KB, 506x211
>>48135698
Powers p40
>>
>>48136166
Ah! Very cool, many thanks.
>>
>>48136042
Bullshit, knights merchants and priests are listed as relatively high status and because of it literally can't travel without bankrupting themselves, which doesn't make sense for any of those professions.
A cost of living gives you proportionally less the lower the TL, but costs more in proportion to income the lower you go, it doesn't represent "having less" it just makes literally anything but an immobile serf unsustainable. Remember its six times your cost of living to travel, which is absolutely ridiculous and if you don't spend your cost of living you get penalties that mean your status is wasted points. For any society under TL6 none of this makes any sense, plenty of people travelled the world at decent levels of status without issues and 90% of the costs we associate with living today simply didn't exist, the higher price of dyed cloth is in no way a justification of travelling costs.
>>
>>48133635
If you have that touch limitation, you would have to touch the person? Or would something they're holding wearing suffice?

If you have to touch skin (like rogue from the xmen) that's much different than if you touching their shield or coat counts.
>>
>>48134785
See Multiple-Projectile Loads, High-Tech, p. 172 for all three. Additionally, see Multi-Flechette, High-Tech, p. 174, for the rightmost.
>>
File: Capture.png (88 KB, 465x478) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
88 KB, 465x478
>>48137385
>>
>>48136310
When traveling isn't it normal to have accommodations 1 or 2 steps below your normal status without taking the hit? I'm pretty sure that's what it says in Basic but I'm away from my books right now.
>>
>>48136310
Knights and priests could expect some form of lodgings from other nobles or well off peasantry or the church as appropriate; this covered in Social Engineering IIRC. Merchants have it harder, but should constantly be wheeling and dealing and making money as they travel, and they're often distrusted in feudal fantasy settings for having more money than they "should" in the first place. Combined with the lower effective status another Anon mentioned, I don't think there will be too much breaking of the budget.
>>
>>48126699
Part of the reason GURPS dose supers poorly is that GURPS is the asshole that looks at the Justice Liege and points out the only people that serve any fucking purpose are the Flash and Superman. The contributions of everyone else is trivial.. and that's a shitty way to play a game.

You CAN run supers in GURPS, but you are far better off playing X-Men then JL. Most people have moderate powers and those that do have big, impressive ones tend to be a disaster area of terrible drawbacks.
>>
File: tumblr_nadtvg2Hq81szm930o1_540.jpg (203 KB, 540x809) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nadtvg2Hq81szm930o1_540.jpg
203 KB, 540x809
>>48138052
There's acutely Claim To Hospitality as a core set advantage that says you can stay with people when traveling.

You are right about Merchants: They rack up bills staying at places, but make enough money to offset their cost as long as they don't try to live too lavishly.

Other people, pilgrims, refugees, mercenaries, tinkers, ect tend to buy a tarp, a shovel and a blanket and sleep outside or on someone's floor while eating Status -1 rations to get by on a few bucks a day.
>>
>>48139441
Status -1 rations cost $2.15 per day (Well, $15 a week) and weigh 2 pounds.

This isn't consistent with the travel rations that cost $2 per meal and weigh .5 pound. I guess those are Status 0 rations?
>>
File: peanut-butter-sandwiches.jpg (67 KB, 570x371) Image search: [Google]
peanut-butter-sandwiches.jpg
67 KB, 570x371
>>48139792
>TL 8 status -1 rations.
>>
My caster knows minor healing at skill 17, which by the magic as skills systems gives me a 1 FP discount.
Does that mean I can continuosly but slowly heal allies a 1 hp per second?
Does this also apply to major healing once I reach skill 20 with it?
>>
File: suhpai-armii-ukrainy-85-B.jpg (238 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
suhpai-armii-ukrainy-85-B.jpg
238 KB, 600x600
>>48139857
More like this.
>>
>>48140197
I believe there's a minimum of 1 EP to cast.
>>
File: French-MRE-003.jpg (289 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
French-MRE-003.jpg
289 KB, 1200x800
>>48139857
>>48140230
>Status +1 ration.
>>
>>48140687
Damn! That's better than I eat at home.
>>
>>48140747
Maybe you should stop eat junk food then.
>>
Where do you find announcements for upcoming GURPS products?
>>
>>48140765
Can't afford junk food.
>>
>>48140794
Do you eat dirt or something?
>>
>>48140818
He's probably buying common produce and like, hot dogs for meat.

Been there. It's much cheaper than junk food. Inconvenient if you don't like cooking though.
>>
>>48126340
Sorry, I'm the dude who posted the pic. I was the one who initially suggested printing to pdf. Can we go halfsies on the gratitude?
>>
>>48140871
For max student diet, you can live on baked potatoes and spread for about 60p a meal. I know people at Uni who did!
>>
>>48140770
Kromm always announces it on the GURPS forum.
>>
>>48141247
Yep. That and things like it. I'm hoping to get through school without crushing student loans.
>>
>>48141322
Come to my degenerate socialist leftist authoritarian European utopia, Anon. At least schooling'd likely be free and you'd probably get aids as a foreign exchange student or somestuff.
>>
>>48141322
Good for you. Wish I had realized how to eat on the cheap with adequate nutrition before I got the student loans, as opposed to a couple years after. I'd owe a lot less money, and I wouldn't have gained the weight I did over college, which I'm still trying to get rid of.

And if you hate waiting a long time for food like I do, I just recently learned you can make decent baked potatoes pretty quick in the microwave, and if you soak them and cover them in salt first the skins will even stay dry.
>>
>>48141426
What does being a foreign exchange student have to do with getting aids?
>>
>>48141247
If your place allows it a rice cooker is a great investment if you are going to be poor. Cheap rice, black beans, jalapenos, cilantro and hot sauce makes nutritious stuff that counts as food. Tortillas are optional, but nice.
>>
>>48141461
>Rice cooker
Would you really suggest a rice cooker over a slow cooker? If so, why?
>>
>>48141467
You can make stew in a rice cooker and you can't make decent rice in a slow cooker. Rice is a very, very solid poor as hell staple. A few cups of rice made in the morning can be dressed up different ways and eaten all day.

If you have to pick one, the rice cooker is better for someone that has to make cheap meals for one, but it's a narrow advantage.

For someone that has the money and space for two small appliances and more then one person to cook for, both is the way to go.
>>
>>48141467
Slow cookers take proportionally longer for proportionally more complex meals you probably won't be making?
>>
>rice cooker
>slow cooker
So, where is fast cooker?
Also, what's the difference? They both look like some cyberpunk cooking pot, I didn't even know those exist at current TL.
>>
File: 10.jpg (33 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
33 KB, 600x404
>>48141555
>>48141654
Multicooker, bitches.

Though I'm not sure if they're not just a rebranded rice cookers with some additional modes.
>>
File: rice_cooker_cake_2.jpg (146 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rice_cooker_cake_2.jpg
146 KB, 1024x768
>>48141654
>>48141717

They both use an electric element to heat a removable inner pot. The Rice Cooker is made to use a thinner pot that heats and cools faster and quickly hits a relatively high temperature, to allow it to quickly and cheaply cook rice using a minimum of electricity and water. It also has a 'warm' mode that keeps the rice hot.

A slow cooker has a thick, earth-ware inner pot. It heats and cools slowly, but heats very evenly and holds temperature well. It's very well suited to cooking things at low temperatures (most hit around 200 degrees/ 98 Celsius)

You can use a rice cooker to do slow-cooker meals by setting it to 'warm' with the ingredients for a stew, for example, inside. It's not quite as energy efficient as a slow cooker for that.

You can even make cake in one. (Not that impressive. As most little girls know you can make self-rising cakes with an incandescent light bulb).

>>48141717

A multi-cooker is, as you noticed, basically just a rice cooker. Thinner metal pot and all.. but it has more automatic options and can be told to work automatically to cook things like bread, stew, ect.

Either would could as poor quality tools for cooking, but not improvised, and give you -2 to Housekeeping or Baking unless the dish you are preparing is one perfectly suited to that method (no penalty to making chili in a slow cooker!)
>>
>>48139441
Claim to Hospitality is automatic, but Social Engineering talks about using Status (for the knight) or Rank (for the priest) for similar effects, the difference being a roll is required.
>>
>>48141654
Pressure cooker.
>>
File: Rats-lab.jpg (209 KB, 1656x716) Image search: [Google]
Rats-lab.jpg
209 KB, 1656x716
>>48141806
By the way. Let's say there is a task I don't have a skill for, but I have instructions for it, or someone is telling me what to do, or I have access to Internet. You know, like cooking by recipe, making meth in Payday 2, or pretty much anything that Adeptus Mechanicus does. How would it work in GUPRS? Bonus to default skill? Using the skill level of the person who wrote instructions, but with penalty?
>>
>>48141806
I'd say poor quality tools for Cooking, but no penalty to Housekeeping. Housekeeping is normally the less-than-fancy staple meals while cooking covers everything, including more gourmet options.
>>
File: 1435907623004.jpg (385 KB, 2048x1368) Image search: [Google]
1435907623004.jpg
385 KB, 2048x1368
>>48141885
I'd allow someone to make a skill check by proxy via instructions to another at a penalty.

IE: Someone tells you exactly what to do and you do it to the best of your ability while asking questions. They make a skill check at -1 for Easy, -2 for Average, -4 for Hard and hopeless clusterfuck for Very Hard skills. I'd also require they take extra time when doing this, for twice as long as normal and +1 to skill.

If you are instead doing it on your own but getting advice and instructions from another person or a well written guide to doing exactly what you are attempting, I'd have you roll vs default with +2 to +4 for the quality of instructions*. You'd still likely want to take extra time, especially if you are trying to make amphetamines.

*But not more then the default penalty, and someone with the skill would only get +1 from having good instructions on hand. A good recepie makes it easier to cook.
>>
>>48141885
Off the top of my head? Roll at default, but +4 for instruction on top of any modifiers for ease of task, familiarity, equipment, etc. With someone guiding you through it, you know what to expect, same as a shooter going for some target practice at a range that gives you distance to target, stable environment, etc.
>>
>>48141247
You're almost always better off buying malted barley and wheat flour; they're cheaper, more nutritious, higher kcal and much more versatile.
>>
>>48143647
That sounds very unhealthy. No?
>>
>>48146089
>>48143647
Also more expensive once you factor in the costs of running your oven much more often, and way more work.
>>
What's the cutoff for how many points should I invest in a single combat trick or gimmick, assuming common point values (100-250)?
>>
File: gPt3635.png (200 KB, 764x287) Image search: [Google]
gPt3635.png
200 KB, 764x287
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/07/session-capture-bad-company-session-5.html

I'm surprised, but also not surprised because Elizabeth is a bit of a that guy.
>>
>>48146950
I think the amount of HP the horse is healed by is scaled to its HP; if Cassana sacrifices 5 of her own HP to heal the horse, it heals 10 (assuming HP 20-29). It will still take a while, but not as long as if it was 1:1.
>>
>>48147050
Ah, that sounds right. Good thinking.
>>
>>48146269
5 or so. Beyond that there's something you could do to increase your general combat ability, rather then a trick.
>>
Need some ideas
In my most recent campaign I set it in the Deadlands campaign setting. The twist was I made my players cursed so any time they are killed they switch places with the person who kills them.
My problem is I'm not sure what the base TL for the setting is (I put it at 7) and if there are any good ideas for missions that take place in that campaign?
It was my first time GMing GURPS but not my first time GMing
>>
>>48146269
What do you mean by 'trick' or 'gimmick'? Techniques? IIRC, you want to cap yourself at three techniques bought up to full, as buying up your underlying skill after that is more cost-effective.
>>
>>48147456
>>48147320
In this case, it would be a martial artist hiding a light whip up his sleeves to entangle dangerous opponents at range (using the Trick Weapons option from Martial Arts). Whip won't be his main skill, but I can put a point into it and max out Entangle for a total of [6]; between above-average DX and no-drawback telegraphic attack vs surprised opponent, I think it'll be effective with just that much. I'm already planning on investing in Hideout for other reasons, but that'll be a part of this gimmick too.

I was just curious because, as you guys assumed, most tricky things in combat are based off of an already-used skill, while what I was planning for used a different one. This made optimization a bit trickier (hue hue) than usual.

I also couldn't think of another conversation topic and we were edging on to page 10 when I posted.
>>
File: 1427223894105.jpg (92 KB, 669x1000) Image search: [Google]
1427223894105.jpg
92 KB, 669x1000
>>48147409
I'd think of Deadlands as TL 6^

Ideas for missions: River pirates attacking barges and steamboats going up and down a mighty river. The players get put on a small steam-boat and sent to be an attractive target, to hopefully lure the pirates into attacking. This leads back to their cave hideout.

A young man from a small village goes out on a desperate quest to find wandering gunslingers to protect them from the vicious bandit gang that keeps raiding the village.

A great storm forces strangers to take shelter at a trading post in the wilderness. Everyone is lying about who they are, and before midnight someone's going to die.
>>
>>48147409
>any good ideas for missions that take place in that campaign
Two words: Train robbery.
Three words: Ghost train robbery.

>>48147722
If it's just six points, it's probably fine. Be sure to report back on how useful you found it later.
>>
File: 1460160254751.png (91 KB, 408x327) Image search: [Google]
1460160254751.png
91 KB, 408x327
Bear with me for a second - I've never used magic before now.

If a spell has an energy cost higher than the caster's maximum FP, how the fuck are they supposed to cast it?

I'm retarded, so feel free to break it down barney-style.
>>
>>48111941
Me again.

Is there a good book for alchemy? Making fire resin and medicines and such? It's low fantasy and alchemy was in place of magic.
>>
>>48150109
I *think* you can dip into HP. Also I believe it depends on which magic system you're using.
>>
>>48150109
I think ceremonial casting, slow enchantment, power stones, and power items.
>>
>>48150109
Call your friends, so you can use their FP too.
>>
>>48150233
There are a couple different alchemy systems, all found in different books.

Magic: The alchemy system there is very much like the basic magic system itself, in that it's a variety of established effects but no guidelines for modifying or inventing your own effects. This is somewhat mitigated by the "It's Pure Chemistry" article from Pyramid #3/28 Thaumatology II. Brewing time is in weeks, so it's very much downtime-oriented.

Pyramid #3/43 Thaumatology III: "Bottled Magic" introduces a variant of Ritual Path Magic's charms. These elixers use the same rules as normal RPM spells, meaning they're very modular and favors more subtle spell effects (e.g. a bonus to your roll to recover HP or even slow regeneration is a lot easier to get than healing oodles of HP outright). The benefit to brewing over simply casting is that potions enjoy a discount; if your ingredients are good enough, you don't have to risk gathering a bunch of energy. Brewing times is in hours.

Pyramid #3/46 Weird Science: The article "Dangerous Concoctions" is great if you want Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde potions. Potions (or experimental drugs, or stimpaks, or whatever; it's setting independant and works in scifi as well as fantasy or modern) grant advantages, but they also grants disadvantages at *least* equal to the advantage's value; yes a single potion can grant you Extreme Regeneration's 10 HP/second healing, but it also sadles you with 150 points worth of disadvantages for roughly the same duration. Because of the setting-agnostic approach the article takes, there's no reference to creation time; it could be part of a pharmaceutical megacorp's production line that makes tons a day, or each one could be the result of a week of slaving over a cauldron.
>>
My players and I have been talking about running a game where they are pilots of small mechs, (Think, the size of a large vehicle. Sort've like D.Va's Mech from Overwatch, or the tanks from Bubblegum Crisis or Ghost in the Shell.)

I've never used Gurps, but I'm confident that it CAN run it. But can it run this concept well?

>In the distant future, after we have colonized space and terraformed several moons and planets in our solar system, young people build and pilot personal mechs.
>Most of these pilots use these mechs to take on mercenary work on newly settled colonies, hunting outlaws and bounties.
>Recently, the sport of organized mech battles has taken the galaxy by storm. Large portions of Mars has been sectioned off to serve as an arena for tournaments to be held.
>>
>>48150960
Sounds cool. Spaceships can handle down to SM+3, which I think is the size of D.Va's mech; remember that blocky or boxy objects and creatures get a "free" +1 or +2 to SM, so a mech that's about twice the height of an adult (SM+2 normally) but three to four times as wide would count as an SM+3/SM+4 vehicle.

If you don't feel like building the mechas from the ground up but still want customization options instead of a shopping list, look at the "Modular Mecha" article from issue 51 of Pyramid: Tech and Toys III; it gives you three basic mecha divided by size/weight and some slots to fill with cool things (mecha get more or less slots depending on their quality, and making your mecha crummier adds more slots to fill with even cooler things). It assumes a TL10 setting, though, so you may need to tweak if your setting is somewhen different.

I also made a spreadsheet to help simplify 3e Mecha's battlesuit design process. It's still not easy super easy, but if you want autistic detail, there ya go. It should be in the MEGA folder for 3e Mecha.
>>
File: GURPS - Modular Mecha.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS - Modular Mecha.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48150960
It sure can.

You can go about mechs a few ways - you can use the rules in this .pdf, or you can build (or have the players build) them as Allies with 0 IQ, Compartmentalized Mind (Controls), Payload (Occupants), and the Machine meta-trait. Throw on Hardened DR and some Innate Attacks representing their weapons, and you're good to go. Or you can use Spaceships, as >>48151308 suggested.

Personally speaking, I'm a fan of building them as Allies (Can't you tell?). I feel like it gives the most freedom to express your mecha.
>>
>>48151308
>>48151428
Thanks for the advice. It seems like I have a lot of reading to do.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know a source where I could research fictional mech parts and hypothetical jargon that would be useful for this sort of thing, would you?

I'm thinking my first session, I'll start the players as poor settlers on a distant moon who stumble across some stolen labor-grade mechs, and modify or upgrade them.
>>
>>48151576
>Research fictional mech parts and hypothetical jargon
Depends on what sort of robots you're going for. It sounds like real robot, so you'd want to read up on the wikis for Gundam, GitS, VOTOMS, MGS, etc.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/atvotoms/atm-09-st.htm Here's a site where you can just click around on random mecha and get plenty of technobabble.

https://youtu.be/RXJKdh1KZ0w And throw this at your players if they ever visit a mech expo. Some smooth-tongued snake oil salesman there with a hyper-complicated sales pitch and cons them into buying useless junk at best. At worst, it's unstable, highly illegal, outfitted with homing beacons for being stolen back, etc..
>>
>>48151576
The classic battletech tech manule gets deep in the weeds about how a humanoid machine might function and offers plenty of ideas.

Basic parts are simple, though.

Actuators are the parts that move parts of a machine. They are linear motors and can be hydraulic pistons, electromagnetic motors, synthetic fiber bundles that contract when charged with electricity (like muscles) or something more exotic.

If you use hydraulics you have lines that carry high pressure oil from a pump that can be powered electricity, gasoline, hydrogen, methane, atomic power, ect. You also have a resivore that holds spare oil.

Then you have control lines, that carry mechanical or electrical signals to the actuators to tell them to move. For a very complicated machine those instructions likely come from a central computer. The user tells the computer what they want done and it figures out how to move the machine to make it happen.

(This keeps moving a walker from being QWOP)

To manage the electrical energy you have a set of fuses.
>>
File: Plustech-12.jpg (250 KB, 862x859) Image search: [Google]
Plustech-12.jpg
250 KB, 862x859
>>48152237
>>48151576
>>48151999

Behold, friendlybot.
>>
So what's the Sorcery equivalent to Awaken?
>>
>>48150233
Ritual Path Magic has a section on that.
>>
>>48153416
Awaken has a bunch of effects so it could be any number of the following afflictions:
Altered Time Rate X (extra turns can only be used for do nothing) to cure stunning.
Doesn't Sleep(Costs Fatigue, 1 FP, -5%, extended duration, 60x, Accessibility, Current FP must be less than 30% but greater than 0, -something%)
Recovery(potentially enhancements to make it fast enough so that recovery is guaranteed instant.)
>>
>>48153607
I didn't even think of ATR, thank you anon.
>>
>>48153416
>Wakes targets up
1 point of the cheapest type of damage with No Wounding.
>Fatigued targets lose 1 FP at the end of the spell's duration
1 point of Fatigue damage with Accessibility (Only if below 1/3 FP already), which I would price at around -40% to -60%.
>Counters stun
Zero points as stun is the default Affliction anyway.
>Makes target awake and alert.
This is the tricky part, as that doesn't come with any game terms to tie to it. It could temporarily remove disadvantages like Laziness, Incurious/Staid, Short Attention Span/Distractible, etc.; give a bonus to noticing things; counter sleeping spells; simply treat being below 1/3 FP as being above 1/3 FP; or any number of effects.
>>
>>48153717
>simply treat being below 1/3 FP as being above 1/3 FP
I think this is the intent with Awaken. Maybe a Cosmic +50% (or more) would do it, since it's definitely going against the rules.
>>
>>48153919
Could rip the rules from stimulants: Healing 1d (Fatigue Only) + Fatigue Attack 1d+1 (Delay, one hour, -20%). You could include a +0% feature that the die result is the same for both FP gain and loss, meaning it's always a net -1 FP.
>>
>>48141885
How about rolling under IQ to determine the ability to follow instructions then roll with the instructors skill at no penalty
>>
>>48154356
>Healing 1d (Fatigue Only)
What's the pricing on this?
>>
Why aren't there more weapon talents? It seems like Mr. Smash is the only one. I can't imagine a game balance reason to say they don't work because you really can only use one at once. Being good at different weapons is really only useful some of the time.
>>
>>48158043
Do you mean a Talent that covers a group of weapons? There are a lot of reasons why that's a pretty poor idea (mostly that combat and its modifiers are the most detailed part of the game, stacking +4 or +8 or more to all your weapon skills can really screw it up for cheap). See Power-Ups 3: Talents, p. 23 for why.

Or do you mean Talents that include weapons? At a quick count there are 7 out of 88 talents in PU3 that include weapon skills. 8% seems a decent showing for a small category of what skills cover. Especially one that doesn't fit well in with daily life and routine use.
>>
>>48158265

Maybe I'm missing something, but the cheapest talent is 5 points and you can get +1 SL to any skill for 4 points. That 4 points will even work for several weapons by increasing the default.

Talents that are a sack of weapon skills are pretty strictly worse then just buying a weapon skill.
>>
>>48150109
>If a spell has an energy cost higher than the caster's maximum FP, how the fuck are they supposed to cast it?

That's the best part, FP is far too cheap IMO, play a game with double/triple spell energy costs, force your players to be creative:

Brew it like beer
Pay Jesus to cast it on your behalf
Jewels are a girl's best friend
Dial a friend
>>
>>48158303
If you have only one weapon skill you rely on. If you have 2 or more the talent is strictly better.

A talent that covers Axe/Mace, Bow, Brawling, Sword, and Wrestling for example would cover 90% of my characters and just about any combat they do. I could spend 20 points on the talent and get +4 to all those skills or 20 points on the skills directly and get +1 to each. Hell, I could also stack a second talent that covers some or all of those skills and now have +8 to the overlapping ones which is almost certainly better than buying up the individual skills.

You aren't missing something for a one-trick-pony character. But, if said character is viable in your games. . . Well, that's not how everybody plays and that would just never fly in the groups I've been in.
>>
Contentless bump, I'm afraid.
>>
It's Thursday, anything coming out this week?
>>
>>48160280
TF2 matchmaking.
>>
Minor Q here.

Obviously, leaping over a counter requires a DX or Jumping Skill roll...and possibly Extra Effort if you can't clear it by default.

However, what do you roll/not roll against to put your hand on it and slide over in one fluid motion?
>>
>>48160940
I think that's covered by acrobatic movement, so either DX or Acrobatics.

Yeah, check p107 of Martial Arts, under "Vaulting and Diving." Rather than clambering over something or making a jump (both of which eat up movement points), run at something and roll Acrobatics; movement over/under/through the area only costs a single movement point, just as if it was normal terrain. On a failure, you're stopped, and on a critical failure you slam into it at full force and take collision damage. Since it's acrobatic movement, your roll also modifies you defenses as per acrobatic dodge.
>>
>>48160280
Isn't SJGames on summer break? I don't expect anything for a week or two.
>>
File: wkk1[1].jpg (26 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
wkk1[1].jpg
26 KB, 180x180
>>48163049
Ah souka.
>>
So I'm thinking of doing rune base magic system in my next game, the thing is I kinda want it more urban-y? Scratching poison detection spells into your fingernails to keep from getting roofied, putting lines on runes on your wallet to keep it from getting stolen.

Now then, rune drawing obviously covers how good you are at making your sigils clear, and small.

But I don't feel like it fully covers the idea of having to curl them up.

Or finding places inbetween lines where another spell won't break it and you can write it out.

Or having an eye/insight for layering your spells so they work together, or at least don't interfere with each other.

Perks? Little five point advantages? A seperate skill to show how you're getting better at it?
>>
>>48163745
Rune magic is impossible, give up, literally nobody has managed to implement it properly let a l one make it fun.
>>
>>48163745
Take a penalty to your roll to make the runes harder to notice, either 1:1 or 2:1 like Desceptive Attack. Whether this is a trainable technique or not is up to you; I'm a fan of "roll against the lower of unmodified skill or penalized technique."

Layering or comboing spells seems like it should be part of the main skill; you know how to cast magic, so you probably know how magic interacts with itself. Maybe Thaumatology instead as that covers the theoretical "big picture" of magic?
>>
>>48158594
If you are spreading your points across equally raseing 5 different combat skills you've made some serious mistakes. Diverse backup skills is good, but you don't need brawling and weaseling at equal levels, or axe and sword.

>never fly in games I've been in.

Someone that specializes would wreck you long before the fact that they only have one backup skill rather then 4 comes up.

Talents are great for allowing a diverse concept like what you want to work, where a person has very broad training.
>>
>>48164658
There are plenty of realistic fighting styles that call for that many skills, and a 5-point talent becomes way more efficient once you've invested two points into four different skills.*

However, the point is fairly moot, as a Talent that covers Axe/Mace, Bow, Brawling, Broadsword, and Wrestling is too eclectic. Stuff like "Born Warleader" and "Green Thumb" is okay because it has a themetic focus. Those skills are just "fuck everything up."

*Once you've invested four points into a measley two skills, a 5-point Talent becomes more efficient, even if the only skills it benefits are those two. A thematic talent that benefits two weapon skills may be easier to swallow.
>>
>>48150960
It can handle it easily, and there are several ways you could do it.

>Space ships.
>Build them as allies. Your GM may allow you to take additional mecha as alternate abilities on the Ally advantage for spares at less point cost.
>Build them as powers tied to a gadget.
>Do like the anon who was here last week building using 3e mecha and covering the results.

If you build them as allies, you *could* build them from scratch, out you could build the parts, and then have the pcs assemble their mercy from your pre designed parts.
>>
>>48151576
Armored core wiki
>>
>>48164836
Yeah, a feudal knight training talent might be Ride, Broadsword, Weaseling, Shield, Lance. Reaction Bonus to liege/squires/other knights.

Longbowmen could be Bow, Solider, Axe/Mace, Knife, Quick Draw (Arrow) and reaction bonus to people that really like Robin Hood.
>>
>>48163745
>>48164140
Mongoose rune Quest ii has a book on Vikings (also in mongoose legend form), with a rune magic system in it. You could look at that for ideas maybe.
>>
>>48165343
Still, like I said, those are ecclectic enough that they're a little implausible as inborn Talents. Someone may be a natural gearhead or talented musician or born leader of men, but "natural swordsman-equestrian-grappler-bare-knuckle-boxer" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well.

At the same time, though, PU: Talents does talk about Talents represent large swathes of training, sort of a half-point between skills and wildcards, and not talents in the traditional sense of innate apptitude.

As a side note: I'm using a new less resource-intensive browser, and while I like the speed boost, it's aparantly old and crappy enough that I'm forced to use captcha's ancient picture test that takes up 80% of the screen and gives me a code I have to copy and paste in rather than simply verifying me.
>>
>>48164140
*coughcough*
Mosaic

>>48164576
>Take a penalty to your roll to make the runes harder to notice, either 1:1 or 2:1 like Desceptive Attack. Whether this is a trainable technique or not is up to you; I'm a fan of "roll against the lower of unmodified skill or penalized technique."
>Layering or comboing spells seems like it should be part of the main skill; you know how to cast magic, so you probably know how magic interacts with itself. Maybe Thaumatology instead as that covers the theoretical "big picture" of magic?

I Love you. Thank you so so much

>>48165366
Naw, I got a pretty good skeleton of how the magic works. It's just the tricks and the texture to make it more real and give it depth was what was giving me trouble.
>>
They deleted GURPS Traveller from the Archive?
>>
>>48164658
>Someone that specializes would wreck you
If one were stupid enough to put their weakness against someone strength.

No one said anything about equally raising 5 different combat skills. Either way it seems the point isn't about backups but about tactical options.

Sure you could submit a build designed to destroy another specific build. Could you submit a specialist build designed to destroy *all* other builds? Make sure you consider flying and ranged and insubstantial and invisible and homogeneous and diffuse and area attacks and explosions and etc. You know, all the variety a good GM should be presenting a PC with. Put another way, could you make a specialist that can defeat *all* other specialists?
>>
>>48166162
>Mosaic
Link? Trove? Something? I've never heard of this.
>>
>>48166443
It was there when I looked the other day. Maybe it's just not where you looked for it?
>>
>>48166691
>>Mosaic
>Link? Trove? Something? I've never heard of this.

For SHAME!

That's an example of /tg/ getting shit done

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Mosaic
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Mosaic/Magic_in_Mosaic
>>
I've set up a cyberpunk kind of setting and thought my players would like some overpowered power armor for our last session. Basically the story goes that they're raiding a lavish company's base of operations and find suspended from the ceiling this 1/4 set of power armor. They'd have to then collect all the parts and allow an NPC to fix it up to be usable. I figured this'd be a fun thing for them to do before switching GMs and campaigns. However, knowing my group, they'd want to keep the thing for any future adventures in the setting. This makes designing it a little tricky since I basically wanted it to be a little person-sized gundam robot. The thing I'm having most trouble with is stats since having an enormous DR would be fun, but super broken later when they're fighting chumps with small arms. Anyone have a book or personal setting they could share that helps balance this sort of thing?
>>
>>48167013
Awesome! Thanks. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.
>>
>>48167151
One easy way to limit it is to have the machine run only for small amounts of time on very expensive and/or difficult to obtain power cores (like Fallout 4, yes). That way you can keep the suit broken in terms of power, but limit its usage to only important stuff.
>>
>>48166162
>Mosaic
Problem, Mosiac's rune system is literally just a subject-noun-verb system with a light rune veneer.
>>
>>48167151
Or giving people AP ammo because there is a lunatic running around with a battlesuit.
>>
any dudes that want to join a fantasy GURPS game can join my discord at https://discord.gg/fxkVS and ill send you over to the roll20 campaign hub where the lore and background info would be at.
>>
>>48167402
It's hella shiny, ain't it? Not my bag for settings and stuff, bug F yeah, magic system

>>48167449
>Problem, Mosiac's rune system is literally just a subject-noun-verb system with a light rune veneer.

That's what Runes are in Thaumathurgy too, dude.

>>48167614
Taking a looksee
>>
>>48166620
>Could you submit a specialist build designed to destroy *all* other builds? Make sure you consider flying and ranged and insubstantial and invisible and homogeneous and diffuse and area attacks and explosions and etc. You know, all the variety a good GM should be presenting a PC with

Specialized mage build with ally backup.

If you need a all comers fantasy land build then close combat skills are a trap option.
>>
>>48167834
>Specialized mage build with ally backup.
So that's a no then.
>>
>>48169188
To do fantasy kitchen sink, I'm going to fight EVERYONE type you'd need to do a highly specialized mage that won't be able to 'talk to people without spilling spaghetti' or overcome challenges like "climb a hill' or 'not die in the wilderness'

Unless you are talking about 400 point plus games.
>>
File: well_protected.jpg (271 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
well_protected.jpg
271 KB, 1920x1080
Hello, GURPS gen.

I've recently been calculating how large the army of a nation is, and after looking through the Mass Combat section and finding the costs, I'm noticing that the army pretty fucking large for a nation that has a population of about 2.7 million.

A bit of background, the nation in question is a very loosely governed one. It essentially functions as a large protection racket, except its one that actually provides protection in the form of a military. Other than that, it does nothing but basic functions (maintain a standard coinage, system of weights/measures, and a few universal laws) to act as government.

This means they have very few budget considerations not relevant to the military.

Even with a low tax rate ($30 GURPS bucks per household each year, when even the poorest households can make $3600 a year), and with small tariffs/customs/fees/various other revenues, their income comes to over 56 million a year.

As stated, they have very few obligations to the individual populace. Even if you factored in fort maintenance, pensions, road maintenance, funding of the bureaucracy, and funding for a national courier service, they still have a huge pile of money.

And with this huge pile of money, it seems able to afford an army many times larger than should be reasonable in a TL4 setting. I'm up to 15,000 men, and I've still got a 3rd of the military budget to go.

So, now to my actual question: am I doing something wrong? What other expenses should I be considering for a state?
>>
>>48170789
Have you created the country as a city using 'City Stats'?
>>
>>48170846

No. But in mucking about with my own stats, I've just realised the maintenance is a monthly cost, not a yearly one. Now my army's a lot, lot smaller, and gobbling up the entire state's budget.

I'm not sure what to make of this now.
>>
>>48170944
>I misread and misunderstood by a factor of 12.
Well, that will definitely make a difference.
>>
>>48130505
As far as I can tell, Mind Control works like this:
-You take a Concentrate maneuver and make the quick contest. If you win, the target gets the effects of the "Reprogrammable" disadvantage.
-On your turn, you can take the Concentrate maneuver to issue victim an order.
-if you do something else, the Mind Control goes into "linger mode", for lack of a better term
-While "linger mode" is still active, you can take a Concentrate maneuver (or successive maneuvers) to issue them orders.
-The Mind Control ends if you lose the contest triggered by being knocked out, etc.

I would say that you issue the commands on your turn, but the victim/s act on their turn.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>48111483

Where are good places to look online for Games to get into? I want to run a game inspired by shadow over innsmouth and James Bond (if the villains were the deep ones and their human cultists and unwitting allies) with a party setup as part of a conspiracy not unlike The Leauge of Extraordinary Gentleman. It is set in the 1870's I've been recommended GURPS as a good system to run it on but I want to gain some experience using it as a player before I try to run a game using it. I'm currently working my way though book one of the 4e core.

Again I am looking for advice on where to find online group games to join as a player so I can gain some practical experience with the system before running a game.
>>
>>48171497
This thread, roll20, and, if you're truly desperate, the game finder thread. Personally speaking, your game doesn't interest me, but I'm sure it would for other anons.
>>
Anybody made any good GURPS conversion booklets? I've been contemplating making them for fun, down the road, with the idea being that you use some other source (which I would mention and point you in the direction of, be it a wiki or a setting book) for your setting material and GURPS for the crunch.

Like: GURPS RuneQuest. or GURPS Shadowrun, or GURPS Pendragon. Etc.

A bunch of templates, and a list of which options to turn on for a campaign of that kind.

Anybody else done or considered doing something similar?

(Yes, this is to generate discussion and return the thread from page 9, but it IS gurps related discussion)
>>
>>48172897
>booklet
I was going to say that a booklet probably isn't enough, but honestly, you could condense all of Shadowrun's mechanical stuff down into a dozen pages. Here's your page for races, there's your 'how to magic in GURPS', then there's a referral to the cyberpunk pyramid for l33t hacking rules (if you don't just outright put them in), and over here is 'ignore essence because it's stupid' page.

GURPS D&D is pretty much Dungeon Fantasy, minus Vancian casting. Honestly, most conversions would be pretty quick. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with too many non-generic systems/games outside of Pathfinder (my main three being Fate, Savage Worlds, and GURPS). I'd love to see somebody take a crack at it, though.
>>
>>48172897
>booklets
When will they learn?
>>
>>48172985
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. As for magic, I'd make sure the magic system was as close to the SR magic system a possible. Might build the spells out, which would take some pages.

Same idea for other game lines, so you could just pick up GURPS and go, without having to figure out how to do it before you start.

I've moved across the country and no longer have access to my gaming group, and I've never had positive experiences with online tabletop, so these days most of my tabletop stuff is just reading and making stuff, because I don't currently have anyone to game with. (I'm sure I will sooner or later, and when I do, I will have a bunch of neat stuff I can use!)

>>48173008
What do you mean?

You think a big tome is needed for something like a crunch-only version of "GURPS Pendragon", that refers you to the actual pendragon books for all the setting stuff?
>>
Is it okay to take a horse as an ally? If I do, the GM makes the horse right? Or should I make the horse, to keep it simple for the GM?
>>
>>48173759
Kinda cheaper (and easier) to imply you have one due to your Status/Cost of living. But yeah, you could do it. Usually, with Allies, I just make AIs or Intelligent weapons.
>>
>>48173008
>>booklets
>When will they learn?
When will who learn what?
>>
>>48173996
>>48173095
Reference to the (I believe /fit/) meme about manlets.
>>
I had never actually sat down and read How to be a GURPS GM, but it's actually pretty good. Didn't expect this.
>>
>>48175978
It's, by far, one of the best books. Among my favourites, together with Tactical Shooting.
>>
>>48171898

Thank you. Have you found games to join on GURPS General threads before?
>>
>>48175978
>How to be a GURPS GM

I did not know this book was a thing.
Thank you for making me aware of it.
>>
>>48177371
I've found games to join, even been in one, but it fell through due to scheduling conflicts.
Protip: If you're going to advertise for a game, be very strict with scheduling. Scheduling is what kills games before they begin, and flaky players kills the games that try to begin.
>>
>>48178155
This. Even if you're just playing with friends, make sure that the schedule is very clear and proceed regardless with those who can make it, or your game will quickly fall apart.
Those who play truant can always be told what happened while they were away, but a stopped game is very hard to restart.
>>
Does gurps 4e have any "okay build characters with x points" options without dramatic GM intervention, besides dungeon fantasy and monster hunters? (Official or fan made)
>>
>>48111483
I'm looking for lenses / templates for low tech / fantasy professions and cultures, possibly also social classes.

What exists and which sources do I need to look in?
>>
>>48180640
Your question is a little vague. You mean templates? Or simply set point values?
>>
>>48180640
You mean character templates? Sure, lots of them. Fantasy has a bunch, at least.
>>
>>48180671
Look up Historical Folk; it's originally a 3e splat, but there's a free 4e update by some of the writers that only covers the templates (I think the original had more background info).

I'd upload it myself, but my browser crashed whenever I try to download or upload anything.
>>
>>48180671
One of the Dungeon fantasy's has lenses for each "class". But D&D notion of class, not the Marxist one.
>>
>>48180704
I mean any applicable templates/lenses, plus a guide telling you which options to use for the setting in question, and then either include them like monster hunters doors for rpm, or at least tell me where to find them.
>>
>>48181796
I'll check that out. Thanks!

>>48182028
Yeah, I mean social classes, not dnd character classes.
>>
What advantage would you have to get to be able to modify a material's properties like making a piece of paper perfectly sturdy or a metal bar flexible as rubber.
>>
File: MH4-Tigrex_Render_001.png (158 KB, 934x660) Image search: [Google]
MH4-Tigrex_Render_001.png
158 KB, 934x660
>>48111483
Working on making something like this bad boy for a Dungeon Fantasy game. Because why start small?
>>
>>48183590
Control (Matter, Transmutation, Low Signature). You can effectively transform one material into another, but it looks the same to the casual observer; a sheet of paper that's as hard as steel is the same as a sheet of steel that looks like paper as far as I figure.

On second thought, the base advantage may be Create rather than Control.
>>
>>48183953
Tons of levels of Semi-Ablative DR.
Very Fast FP Regeneration
An ability to suddenly charge super fast That uses the FP,
But nominally, really low move with enhanced move because of his crazy momentum.
High Pain Threshold (Accessibility: Only when FP is above 30%)
And some innate attack to throw rocks... or make him literally throw things.
SM+2 I think.
>>
>>48184879
I think I'm gonna go for SM 3 so people can ride/climb it, and Ablative DR for that large vidya HP pool. Not gonna be super accurate to monster hunter, I mostly just want a big nasty wyvern thing everyone can have fun beating up.
>>
>>48185307
Tigrex should almost always use extra effort; his entire shtick is being fucking insanly aggressive before just sort of standing there being exhausted.

Alternatively, if you're using Last Gasp, Tigrex almost never stops to recover AP until it's literally too low to function and a lot of FP is already spent.
>>
How does Ablative DR interact with Armor Divisors? like a 10(2) damage hit vs a 10 Alblative DR
>>
>>48173759
Wouldn't it make more sense to take the horse as Signature Gear? Having appearance rolls wouldn't really make sense.
>>
>>48180640
Action has plenty of templates. What kind of setting do you want templates for?
>>
>>48188235
Nothing in particular, looking for any "pickup and go" setting books for gurps 4e that you can pass to the players and just have them build characters, like with any other RPG, without the up front with that normally accompanies running gurps.
>>
>>48188282
Here you go. You've got to answer a few questions about how your after the end game will work but mostly can get by just fine handing them the book.
>>
File: IMG_1001.jpg (199 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1001.jpg
199 KB, 640x480
>>48188902
We had a huge thread about it when this came out. Water's crazy overpriced at $8 per gallon when a small dew collector an asshole might build in a day can collect two gallons a day.
>>
>>48188984
Would this thing work in desert and the like? Dew only occurs in relatively humid regions as I understand.
>>
>>48188087
DR is half as effective so it counts as Ablative 5, but that's still 100% of the DR and thus 10 DR is lost from 5 points of damage. So 5 damage would pass to HP.
>>
File: North-Brother-Island-19.jpg (153 KB, 800x716) Image search: [Google]
North-Brother-Island-19.jpg
153 KB, 800x716
>>48189325
They work, but as you'd imagine, less well. Even in arid climates there's a lot of moisture in the air.

The saving grace is that many deserts have quite extreme shifts between daytime and nighttime temperatures, enough that a dew collector can work. Just don't expect magic a square meter of collector, well sited, might produce half a liter a night.

If it was me and I had my tools, I'd scavenge some dehumidifiers instead. A cheap home unit can condense half a liter an hour from air that feels bone dry. You can also build them out of refrigerators and air conditioners.

The trick would be keeping them powered.
>>
File: Duneii-wind-trap.jpg (14 KB, 182x110) Image search: [Google]
Duneii-wind-trap.jpg
14 KB, 182x110
>>48189325
>>48189760
>>
>>48158303
Remember that a realistic fighter has 2-6 or even more weapon skills depending on historical period.

>>48165343
For the High Middle Ages the guy would also have spear, axe/mace and knife. As well as probably knowing how to use a bow or crossbow for hunting. Making a knight gets expensive quickly.
>>
>>48187731
Neat, that's a fun thing to do. Would Decreased Time Rate be appropriate? It looks like the hunters can get off 1-2 attacks in the space the monster gets off one.
>>
>>48190750
Not necessarily, especially at GRank. Instead, I would give a lot of the monster's attacks Takes Extra Time to represent the windup. Maybe Regeneration (FP only; Concentration) to represent low stamina mons.
>>
>>48189760

Also being able to have the space and resources to have enough spare water to support hired muscle to keep people from stealing your moisture generating equipment or any stockpiled water you do manage to accumulate.
>>
>>48190307

Which fits since they are expensive to train and maintain and so there aren't too many off them.
>>
>>48191771
Indeed. Just seems like a joke when GURPS tries to include 75 or 150 point knight templates.

Even a Knight Errant is hard to fit into a normal point total. He should have all the combat skill of someone who has trained to fight since he is 14 but also needs to be at least wealthy and have the social background with the skills that go with it.
>>
>>48192349
A poor knight can just take arms and armor as signature gear with status 1 to reflect getting training but not having a lord to see to their expenses. Ditto for a brother in a chivalry order that isn't rolling in cash.
>>
>>48193217
That is an abuse of signature gear and it makes people reluctant to get better stuff. Without a lord your only options are to keep winning tournaments until someone takes you on or becoming a mercenary. Poor knights don't really work so why do people keep trying to make them?

Then again, household knights are status 2 which is not enough money to buy full knightly equipment in the first place. Just easier to not play one sometimes.
>>
>>48193436
>That is an abuse of signature gear and it makes people reluctant to get better stuff

It's gear that is literally iconic to your character and central to your concept. If you are low fantasy/ no fantasy you aren't going to get better then decent mail at TL 3 anyway.

If they replace it it's pretty easy to change signature gear to cover something else.

You could also just take Patron and get gear that way, of course.

>Without a lord your only options are to keep winning tournaments until someone takes you on or becoming a mercenary.

Or wandering around sponging off your relatives, fighting in tournaments and taking on whatever quest you can find until you find a Lord or join an Order.
>>
File: 1455970215104.jpg (179 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
1455970215104.jpg
179 KB, 736x981
The solution is easy. Just do what I did. Figure out what the general role/class the player is going to use, then give them free themed kit.

Give them a weapon, armor, and maybe one or two related useful items for free, letting them spend money to either upgrade the gear or get other stuff.

So someone who is playing a Knight gets a free suit of basic light plate mail and/or mixed chain and plate, along with sword+shield and perhaps a horse. This is free, and they're expected to care for this stuff to give them a start.
>>
>>48193965
A riding horse is included as part of status for most non poor people anyway. The separate warhorse is something they would have to pay for normally.
>>
File: gurps self-immolating.jpg (45 KB, 361x410) Image search: [Google]
gurps self-immolating.jpg
45 KB, 361x410
Is pic related still true, or is from an earlier edition?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.