[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing/tweaking?
>Your local Meta?
>Next MTG Purchase?
>Thoughts on the current Meta?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.
>>
File: The Modern Metagame.jpg (533 KB, 1230x1558) Image search: [Google]
The Modern Metagame.jpg
533 KB, 1230x1558
The overall and paper Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
>>
Second for Tasty Mardu Brews
>>
>>48092510
Third for tasty temur brews
>>
>>48092510
Third for Asylum Visitor.
>>
I am playing UWR with resto and kiki. I know the Nihiri deck is super strong but eh I'm not really into that play style.

Should I see my deck now that the prices for UWR cards are still high? Hmm...
>>
File: Jeskai Kiki-Harbinger.jpg (156 KB, 780x778) Image search: [Google]
Jeskai Kiki-Harbinger.jpg
156 KB, 780x778
>>48092583
Why not both?
>>
>>48092609
That's really neat. I don't think the exarchs and pestermites are worth it, are they?
>>
>>48092583
Only if you want to? Depends on what you want, though. Like, do you cash out entirely? Get a new deck?

Honestly, I like to keep my decks, because more often or not, they'll have staple cards for other decks. I'd advise you keep your stuff, and just buy into another deck you like with some similar cards.
>>
>>48092609
Drop Exarch and Pestermite, play Mana Leak.
>>
>>48092635
>Depends on what you want, though

I really want to play, but I'm just so busy right now. I love this game. So I guess it's stupid to sell cause I want to play it in the future. It's just that the prices are high right now so it's kinda tempting?
>>
>>48092656
Well they won't go down so buying back in will just lose you money
>>
>>48092656
Yeah, go ahead and keep them. Unless you're really strapped for cash, just set them somewhere safe. If you sold now, and next year wanted to come back, you'd only end up paying more for the same cards.
>>
>>48092627
>>48092643
Mana Leak is good, Exarch and Pestermite allow for pesky creature and artifact tapping to remove with Nahiri. I'm all for the synergy.
>>
>>48092829
How is it working out for you?
>>
File: Generosity.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Generosity.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
Do you think it would be a good idea to make a card like donate that works for instant and sorcery spells instead of permanents?
>>
>>48092885
Casted?

verb: cast; 3rd person present: casts; past tense: cast; past participle: cast; gerund or present participle: casting
>>
>>48092885

Too abusable with things like pacts unless you really push the mana cost towards complete unplayability.
>>
>>48092885
Would you fucking kill yourself already?
>>
>>48092458
>playing
Bogles with an open the armory in it
>brewing/tweaking
Building kci eggs, and need some suggestions on the 16 card mana base
>local meta
Jund and jeskai nahiri
>next purchase
The mox opal assuming it survives the ban hammer
>thoughts on meta
Literally anything is better than eldrazi winter
>>
>>48093176
Hows Bogles treating you these days? I've been looking into getting a new deck and thought Bogles looked interesting to.me.
>>
>>48093286
Bogles is the least interesting deck in Modern. Probably in Magic. At least combo decks have to think about sequencing.
>>
>>48093286
Bogles plays itself
The only reason I see to play it is for the massiveamount of salt it induces
>>
>>48093339
>At least combo decks have to think about sequencing.
I've been brewing Knightfall lately, and sequencing is starting to be a detriment. Courser of Kruphix is fantastic in the deck, but when you combo out, you have to reveal the top card of your library inbetween every land drop, which is a massive hassle.
Not saying combo is too complex for the game, but trying to keep your opponent in the know while you have multiple triggers going off is getting to Second Breakfast levels of solitaire. I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to play a simple deck like burn, infect or boggles.
>>
>>48093339
The same can be said of any modern deck.

>Burn plays itself. Lol, count to 20
>Infect plays itself, count to 10
>Tron plays itself.
>Jund
>Affinity
>[Insert Deck Here]

It doesn't mean it's not fun for me to play or interesting to me.

>>48093369
Ooh, salt. I.love salt.
>>
>>48093458
To be fair Burn and Tron are pretty much on the same tier as bogles as far as how easy it is to pilot. Not saying you can't have fun with it.
>>
So I took my Jund Burn deck apart to make something I like much better and now it's just red green burn. I don't really enjoy it anymore so I've been thinking of selling it and buying some staples or Bobs or something. Should I keep it just incase I want to play burn? Or sell it and reinvest into some cards?
>>
>>48093458
burn and bogles are actually decks youre gonna get bored with real fast if you dont like doing the exact same thing every game and wanna think really hard about your plays

say what you will that's just the thing
>>
The closest thing to a local game store is about 100 miles away, so I only get out there to play during pre-releases so I decided to do FNM for once. The FNM the day before the pre-release is two headed giants modern, and my friend and I are going to play. I have a pretty effective Naya Zoo deck that works, so I was planning on playing that. My friend, after I told him that stuff like Extort hits twice as hard in 2HG, he decided he really wanted to make a WB with stuff like Drama's Emissary and Cliffhaven Vampire.

I figured we're not really going to win, but can anybody give me an estimate of how badly we'll get slaughtered?
>>
I had a question about gameplay from GP LA I saw and there were people's cards that had black stars on them what's that about?
>>
>>48093589
Pretty bad. In 2h modern the best team is Adnauseum + Counterspell.dec.

Underneath that is probably something like double Burn or Double Affinity.

I doubt you'll make it out of the bottom brackets. And that's if you don't go 0-2 Drop.
>>
>>48093502
Perhaps play it a few more times as a farewell and then sell it.

No point having decks you don't like playing.
>>
>>48093659
At high-level draft events like the pro tour, booster packs are opened ahead of time and stamped by the staff to make sure no cards are sneaked into the draft.
>>
>>48093756
But this was a modern constructed event?
>>
>>48093782
You get to keep the cards from the draft.
>>
>>48092510
Does anyone else think that a tokens strategy is the best one for Mardu? You get lingering souls, intangible virtue, young pyro, bitterblossom, boros charm, etc. Plus, lots of burn.
>>
>>48092885
Fuck off.
>>
>>48093878
it's been done before but those decks suck
>>
>>48093878
Tokens are nice but they won't win you the game. Pyro is just bait for bolts mostly. Lingering is good for chump blockers and late game attackers. Try using big creatures like kalitas or hell just jam nahiri into your deck.
>>
>>48092549
No no no. No. No no. No.
>>
How do I make modern hydras good? Is it possible? I've had a deck that I've tweaked over and over but I don't think mono green hydras are good enough to be even kinda good.
>>
>>48094416
>How do I make modern hydras good?
You don't
>>
>>48094416
Counterspells and doubling season
>>
Building some Meme. WU Artifact Control.
Running Dispatches, Erayo and Curse of Exaustion.
I need something to hold Zoo, suggestions? Supreme Veredict is always one turn too late.
>>
>>48095230
Go Esper Tezzerator with Thought Scour + Whispers of Emrakul. Crack fetch turn 1, Scour, if you hit a Phyrexian Revoker or Hangarback Walker you're casting Hymn turn 2.
>>
BAN TRON
A
N

T
R
O
N
>>
>>48095230
You using glinthawk + 0mana artifacts to pull it off?
Quest for holy relic is another cool combo that functions the same and can go in an erayo deck.
Quest for Erayo is a pretty nice meme.
>>
Is zombie tribal viable in modern at FNM-tier?
>>
This is a general MTG question but there was no legacy general to post in bc ded format

Who does the best alters? I'm not going to be using really expensive cards for the alters, just like some 9$ cards and MAYBE a few 3$ cards, I want them to have realistic versions of people on them but I also want a kind of cartoony look. Who's the most legit and does it for a decent price?
>>
>>48096195
Depends on what you mean by Zombie tribal.
If you mean Fish, but with zombies, then probably not.
Post a decklist
>>
http://pastebin.com/NvCPTRdK

What do you guys think of this deck? I kinda just threw it together. It's basically just Izzet burn stuff. Any suggestions?
>>
>>48096377
No idea really I was just thinking of a fun deck to play that can win at a semi-competitive level.
>>
>>48096495
why play this over regular burn
>>
>>48096526
and for tribal I mean in the most basic sense a deck that drops small creatures and grows them with lords.
>>
>>48096537
It's not really meant to be super competitive aggro burn. It's mostly just because I wanted to build a BU deck and this is how it turned out.

I don't plan on taking it to a tournament or anything. It's just for semi-competitive funsies.
>>
>>48095944
Grow up
>>
>>48096559
That's the wrong way to play zombies anon kun.
There is only 1 zombie lord you should be playing and that is death baron. Zambies is all about just suicide attacking and reanimating.
>>
>>48096495
if youre gonna play this kind of deck you might as well play the good version which has kilnfiend and can get turn 3 wins with a cheese hand

its also like $20
>>
>>48096822
Ah, that seems like a much better deck than this. Thanks for the suggestion. It looks way more fun than the burn gimmick, as well.
>>
>>48096814
that sounds good enough, anything like that viable?

Or first hand experiences playing?
>>
>>48097018
I'm still working on making something that actually does well at FNM. (Its pretty hard because just about everyone at my store is super competitive.) Gravecralwer, Relentless Dead, and Death Barron make for some really nasty synergy. Try checking out Drdgevine, its a decent enough deck that doesn't get completely hosed by sideboards.
>>
>>48097281
The problem you can't get around is that 1) the name of the tribe you're using is irrelevant since all you're doing is trying to reach a critical mass of power, and 2) Merfolk does it much better. Sure there's a good few Zombie lords and some good Zombie cards like Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger, but 3 mana lords are sort of unplayable.
>>
>>48096571
play twin, thats a really good izzet deck :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 723x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 723x960
Honest question. Is Arlinn Kord Complete shit in modern or actually viable?
>>
>>48099052
shit
>>
How did you buy your deck?
I want to acquire Merfolk since it's staying in the meta and isn't as expensive as other decks. It is still around 600 dollars which is about the same price as a burn new 50+ inch HDTV.

How can I justify the cost? For 600 I could buy groceries for my family for a month. I guess I don't get it.
>>
What do you guys think this means? Possibly a highly desired reprint like Veil Lili/Damnnation? Or yet another stupid meme like the legendary werewolf.
>>
>>48099090
>Wizards reprinting anything worthwhile outside of jewscams like Modern Masters and Eternal Masters

How naive
>>
>>48099066
She's not that bad. At least she has 5 readily avaliable abilities that provide a lot of utility. 3 starting loyalty is equal to Lilliana though.
>>
>>48099090
Worst case it's probably Ludevic, though that isnt even that dissapointing, best case it's Damnation with Lilianna art or LOTV
>>
>>48099151
She doesn't fit into any currently existing decks, nor is she good enough on her own to enable a totally new one. Also, shes pretty much outclassed by Huntmaster of the Fells.
>>
Is it possible to build a functioning Eldrazi deck after the ban of Eye? If so, in what colors would it function best?

I've got a Red/Black aggro deck lying around that uses a lot of little Eldrazi to get shit done, but I'd like to beef it up.

I like the Eldrazi style (art, flavor, etc.), so I don't want to give up. Any suggestions?
>>
>>48099052
The only deck that would consider playing her is Jund, and at the moment they have much better options; Kalitas, Tasigur and Olivia just to name a few.
>>
>>48099261
Mind actually telling us which playstyles/strategies you like playing before we spoonfeed you?
>>
File: MMMMMMmmmmmmmtcgplayersemen~.png (383 KB, 606x548) Image search: [Google]
MMMMMMmmmmmmmtcgplayersemen~.png
383 KB, 606x548
>>48099132
What are you talking about anon? MM2 and EMA were really really good! They accomplished what they were made for!
>>
>>48099294
I prefer aggro, but I've been thinking about dipping into more of the token generating stuff.

The old deck I used stuff like Forerunner of Slaughter and Vile Aggregate to deal damage fast. I'm open to other colors though.

Also, is Eldrazi Temple at 4 a must? I feel like it should be, but I could be missing something.
>>
>>48099339
The two Eldrazi decks that are even a thing, are Eldrazi n Taxes (all it pretty much plays is Displacer though), and Bant Eldrazi. I'm going to assume the latter is going to be out of your budget since it has Noble Heirachs, a ton of shocklands and fetchlands and sometimes Tarmogoyfs.

Your next best bet after that is maybe UR Eldrazi or BR, but don't expect to get the results that Bant Eldrazi gets.

Heres an example UR Eldrazi list. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=12829&d=274478&f=MO
>>
>>48099194
Wow. Guess modern isn't really a fun format then.
>>
>>48099491
Yeah, Bant is a bit beyond my usual budget, but that Izzet list at least looks solid. I'll probably take a few cues from that list to improve my current deck and I may start work on a U/R. I'm not too worried about lesser returns because I'm not looking to be too competitive, but I do want it to have some umf to it. I sold my old collection a while back, and I was looking to build something fun again.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, anon.
>>
>>48099543
If you want to brew something with her or stick her in your Jund deck, go right ahead. Nothing is stopping you from that. Literally all new cards are compared to older ones to see if they are better, or provide a whole new niche. Most of them don't happen to.
>>
>>48099543
It's overpriced garbage with the worst fanbase in the game next to EDH players
>>
File: guinan.png (532 KB, 776x612) Image search: [Google]
guinan.png
532 KB, 776x612
>>48099543
>Wow. Guess modern isn't really a fun format then.
Welcome to the format. Get out while you can.
>>
>>48099543
It's either Modern, #muhreservelist the format, or Creature Staredown the format. Pick your poison.
>>
>>48099636
>>48099671
>>48099772
Heh. Even modern players don't like modern.
What about standard?
>>
>>48099955
>Even modern players don't like modern.
We're all a bunch of degenerate masochists who get off to WotC abusing us. We're also really tsundere.
>What about standard?
Standard is trash anon-kun
Nice digits though
>>
>>48099955
Standard is usually shit, and even when it isn't it's only temporary
>>
>>48100093
>>48100041
>Modern is shit
>Standard is shit
>Vintage is shit
>Legacy is shit
What isn't shit?
>>
>>48100116
Yugioh
>>
>>48100116
Casual with good friends
>>
>>48099955
>>48100041
>Even modern players don't like modern.
Pretty much this, I only play because I have time right before EDH nights and rheres no legacy scene at my LGS. I show up with a different niche solitaire deck every week but my latest favorites have been Eggs and Storm with a bit of UB Tezzerator on the sidem. Shame theres as fun as Metalworker decks in Modern.
>>
Who's going to the World Cup Qualifier this weekend? I'm driving a couple hundred miles to lose some Magic at the Last Chance Qualifier. Very excited.
>>
>>48092458
I like that Twin got banned for being a robust combo deck that could switch to control but Collected Company's a robust combo deck that's also a goodstuff midrange deck and that won't get hit at all. Bring Twin back or ban Company - I don't want more bans but the inconsistency is bullshit.
>>
>>48100116
5 player EDH is pretty fun so long as you have beer, wings and plenty of napkins.
>>
>>48099955
Modern is fine. You can safely buy up a Tier 2-3 deck without worrying about the cards being banned.
You can also shitbrew in certain metas.
>>48099955
Standard is just so annoying to buy for. Your cards are going to be bulk rares when your deck rotates out.
If it weren't for that, it's a great format for keeping a fresh meta, especially since they changed how rotation works. Hopefully they push the format by lowering the cost of entry somehow, but they're mostly just concerned with limited right now.
>>48100116
Everything can be shit. Everything can be great.
EDH is fun as fuck, but as soon as you start getting in an MLD/Stax arms race, it can start getting badwrongfun for people who don't want in on that arms race.
Honestly, just put together a cube to draft with your friends. Fun as hell and completely balanced.
>>
>>48100139
This man has it. Unless you're playing with friends you're not going to have a good time.
>>
>>48100273
Budget standard decks range from $20-$50 and are easily upgradable. Budget modern you just add a 0.
>>
>>48100630
>Budget modern you just add a 0.
Unless its stompy
>>
File: tree.png (320 KB, 534x374) Image search: [Google]
tree.png
320 KB, 534x374
>>
>>48100734
Stompy never wins mate.
>>
>>48100774
I am so triggred right now
>>
>>48100774
I've been meaning to put together Selenia lifeswap EDH. I think I might make 13 a subtheme, thanks to these and Tragic Slip, and white's ability to tutor enchantments.
But that's for the EDH thread. I can't see this shit working in modern.
>>
>>48100774
this is the laziest card design i have ever seen
>>
>>48092885
Here I have a custom card for u.
1UB
Choose two
-Target player chokes to death on a dick
-Target player learns basic grammar
-Target player never visits /tg/ again.
>>
>>48099179
Damnation would be great, LotV needs a reprint, but they'll never print a $120 in a standard set.

Note: probs not even damnation though as maro hate fucking with his color pie, even through damnation is easily inside blacks section.
>>
>>48101389
>even through damnation is easily inside blacks section.
Familia have you even seen the card??
>>
>>48102177
>destroying creatures
Yea dedicatedly not in B section of the color pie /sarcasm
>>
>>48100774
>Tree + Trisk can't actually get a one-turn kill
nice meme
>>
>>48101389
Yea! They'll print in her in in Modern Masters 3! Now an even lesser print run then MM1 and EMA! Hoo boy, we've been asking for it for awhile but they finally listened to us! Like how they listened to our request for a Damnnation reprint with the judge promo!
>>
>>48101389
>>48102752
Why is it so bad to reprint a really expensive card in a standard set? They are always a huge print run and people will sure buy the fuck out of it to pull her. It will surely bring her down to a more reasonable level. If Wizards is totally fine with smallJace being 70 for a long-ass time, and 4 color decks with fuckloads of fetches, clearly they don't mind standard being expensive.

(I also wouldn't mind a Tarmogoyf reprint in place of Lili. He makes a shitload of sense in this set mechanics wise since he has proto-delirium, and with everything turning into otherworldly monsters)
>>
>>48102949
>clearly they don't mind standard being expensive
I would imagine they do care. And the reason they would not want to reprint a high-demand expensive card in Standard is because they don't want people having the conversation in stores, "That's an expensive card". I imagine for the sake of the appeal of the game they don't want players talking about or bragging about expensive cards in the store. Yes, it happens; players will talk about money, but you don't want to spur the conversation with a card that has a proven value like Tarmogoyf. Everyone accepts that pre-orders for singles are ridiculously expensive just like everything else out there (books, video games, movies) but Goyf has a proven price tag. You don't want to lose players because they realize that the money aspect of this game is a shit-show.

But it doesn't matter what their reasons are; nobody here is a mindreader or works for the company. My reasons could be bullshit just like the next poster. The ultimate reality is that you want the cards and they're not going to reprint them fast enough to sate that desire.

So go buy fakes from China. Be grateful that the strongest cards they've ever printed or will print have a version without that stupid hologram thus ensuring you will have access to Chinese fakes forever in Modern and Legacy.
>>
>Playing?
U Taking Turns. I built it for the salt, but there's nothing more unsatisfying than a boring match because of a combo that takes 10 minutes to finish going off.
>Brewing/tweaking?
Zooicide.
>Your local Meta?
Burn, Coco, and Storm. Nobody plays Infect because Infect always loses.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Probably going to get my Death's Shadows or start building my EDH deck.
>Thoughts on the current Meta?
I'm hoping that EMN has something that shakes up things a bit, it's getting a bit stale locally.
>>
>>48103064

>thinking there will never be an expensive eternal card from M15 forward
>>
Is it possible to splash Blue in a BW tokens deck?
>>
>>48103127

Possible but for what purpose?
>>
>>48103183
For fun
>>
>>48103127
For what? Geist value?
>>
>>48103117
Of course there will be strong cards. But they will not usurp the cards of the past into irrelevance.

Nothing will become stronger than True-Name, Goyf, Clique, Liliana, Natural Order, Emrakul, Bob, Wasteland, original duals, fetches, Force of Will, Iona, Elesh Norn, Gristlebrand, Damnation, Fulminator, all the equipment, Stoneforge, LED, Goblin Guide, the list goes on forever.

They will always be strong. Forever. And because they have a version without a hologram, they will always be affordable in fake form.
>>
File: Bloodghast+%5BZEN%5D.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Bloodghast+%5BZEN%5D.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>Be whipped as fuck married with son single income family (mine)
>At 31 decide to try MTG, buy a few Pauper decks, ask around about Modern.
>Pauper players follow some weird ass homebrew rules
>Modern players a bunch of dorks and super nerds with neckbeards who insult me at any chance and talk shit about anything I post related to Modern.

I just shouldn't bother, should I. I would love to learn the game but the scene here is super toxic and the majority of Modern decks are just tron and burn. Everyone always posts buying and selling posts in the local FB but everyone here hangs on to cards like it's the last thing in life going for them.

How did you get your Modern deck? For a new player the buy-in is almost ridiculous.
>>
I'm going through my Merfolk stuff because I might actually get to play soon. Goldfish has a few decks with Tidebinders in the main board. Why is this? I think I only have 1. I have the 23 main creatures, but I'm not sure what the other 5 should be. It looks like some manner of Kira, Phantasmal Images, and Tidebinders. What's really surprising is the lack of Harbingers.

The spells are also pretty all over the place. The only thing that's consistent are 4 Spreading Seas, 4 Vials and some manner of Dismember. Even Spell Pierce seems to be in fluctuation.
>>
>>48103231

Cucks need not apply
>>
>>48103231
>Married, with child.
>One income.
>Modern.

look im not going to say this is a bad idea for you, but its not going to be cheap unless you buy nothing but proxies/chinese fakes or whatever, and considering how hype-toxic your local scene is, do not bother.
>>
>>48103231
>How did you get your Modern deck?
I got in before it got expensive.

>I just shouldn't bother, should I.
Correct, you would be completely retarded to buy into Modern at this point. The people who tell you there are "budget" decks are talking about decks that don't win.

There is a harsh reality for people like you. It's a great game and format but the realities of the marketplace means the price will never come down and be affordable to you. If there's any comfort Modern is just going to roll over and die due to lack of new players because of being priced out of the format. Wizards can talk about Modern Masters reprints all they fucking want but the limited supply is sure as hell not helping anybody new play the format.

I always felt I would be the last person to discourage people from playing this game. But I do. We're a shit toxic community and we're not willing to collectively slit our own throats to force Wizards to ensure that the supply will allow the community to continue playing.
>>
>>48103231
Just stick to pauper and maybe edh. You might get tired of modern and there are better things to spend money on.
>>
>>48103394
>>48103363
>>48103359

Thanks guys, I think I'll throw a couple more Pauper decks together and put them up with the boardgames if anyone is interested in playing. I really do appreciate the honesty. I'll be keeping an eye on Modern but I don't have any high hopes.
>>
>>48103196
>>48103183
Thoptersword or geists ofc
>>
>>48103231
>How did you get your Modern deck? For a new player the buy-in is almost ridiculous.
I had the Noble Hierarchs because I loved Alara when it was coming out. I got the fetches from Khans. I traded in some old Zendikar fetches I opened forever ago and never used, for my Finkses, Geists, remaining KotRs, remaining Paths, remaining Cocos, etc. It takes a little bit of time if you're not willing to buy up the staples all at once. I'd start by putting money into the manabase of the color combination you want to play. You can shitbrew yourself silly and still hold your own against less-competitive metas if your lands are good.
>>
>>48103231
How many times are you gonna cry in this thread you pathetic bitch?
>>
>>48103064
>because they don't want people having the conversation in stores, "That's an expensive card".

Thats a really fucking retarded reason.
>>
>>48103302
You have your core creatures:
Master of the Pearl Trident
Silvergill
Cursecatcher
Lord of Atlantis
Master of Waves
Merrow Reejerey

Aether Vial and Spreading Seas are core yes.

Beyond that you can play any combination of whatever else you want. You can cut Master of Waves or
Merrow Reejerey for a playset of Remands. You can splash White and replace the playset of Dismembers for Path to Exile as well as white sideboard options.

There is no optimal Merfolk deck as you've observed. You know the core cards, the rest can be adjusted as per your tastes and testing.
>>
>>48103595
It might not be a real reason.

It doesn't matter what the real reason is. The reality is what matters and that reality is that they're not going to give you the reprints you want. PERIOD.
>>
>>48093878
I played somebody using Tokens, Nahiri, Lilliana, and Discard as a deck today.

Outlasted them with my wonky Mono G Spawnsire Tron Eldrazi deck. Won by casting the Old Titans and void winnowers lurking in my sideboard for 20 mana. It was close.
>>
File: 1460258247757.jpg (87 KB, 590x600) Image search: [Google]
1460258247757.jpg
87 KB, 590x600
>mfw Modern babies let WotC fuck and cuck them daily because they are too fucking beta to stand up to (((((((MaRo)))))))
>>
>>48103708
Legacy costs so much more and gets cucked by the reserve list so hard
>>
File: image:105760.jpg (59 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:105760.jpg
59 KB, 312x445
>New Thalias going to wreck!
>theres an enchantment for 1 more that does more and cant be bolted
Go ahead play Frozen New Thalia
>>
>>48103651

That's how it seems. Alright. I guess I'll play around with it. At least the side borders are pretty consistent. I just need to find 2 more Hurkyls, which I assume is for Affinity.
>>
>>48103843
>guys! There's literally no difference between 3 mana creature and a 4 mana enchantment in modern!
>>
File: image:105761.jpg (48 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:105761.jpg
48 KB, 312x445
>>48103951
I get you preordered 4 new thalias but you dont have to take it out on me
Here have a card
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tronald-trump/
Help me plox.
I keep getting buttraped by infect, so I mainboarded skite, and have snags in the sideboard.
Is there anything else I can do?
I'm pretty worried about infect because it makes up >50% of my meta.
>>
File: Theholyarmor.jpg (76 KB, 939x554) Image search: [Google]
Theholyarmor.jpg
76 KB, 939x554
>>48104010

I'm driven by secret tech m8
>>
>>48104010
Good god that's pretty, too bad it's trash. And only available on friggin' modo.
>>
File: image:105729.jpg (14 KB, 297x331) Image search: [Google]
image:105729.jpg
14 KB, 297x331
>when you preorder new thalias thinking itll be good
>>
File: Prague.jpg (57 KB, 460x764) Image search: [Google]
Prague.jpg
57 KB, 460x764
Anybody got neat/janky ideas in esper colors? I tried Thopter Foundry but it was such trash I couldn't play more than one game.
>>
File: image:105762.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:105762.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>48104061
Yeah. Why does mtgo always get the best cards and card art? Id kill for these fireblasts in paper.
>>
>>48104087
Play new thalia and frozen aether so youll have 8 newlia effects
>>
>>48103843
Oh boy! An enchantment that provides no board presence and can't be cheated out with Aether Vial!
>>
>>48104088
I would kill for Fireblast to be legal in modern
>>
>>48104134
>tap out turn three for new thalia, it resolves and they bolt it, pass back and they have free reign to do what they want on their turn
>play old thalia potentially a turn earlier even, it resolves , their lightning bolt is now instantly a lightning strike
>>
>>48104157
As a former burn player, I don't see how making a deck with nearly zero interaction even better makes the format any richer.

Burn and other hard-combo aggro decks like Infect and Affinity put a limit on the interesting interactions you can play in the format. You can't do dumb inefficient shit when you're getting bolted down to zero as quickly as you are now.
>>
>>48104157
Its too good for modern. I like that Legacy has things to do with its extra lands so getting flooded doesnt hurt as bad. Things like Fireblast, Daze and Brainstorm help make it so top decked lands arent a scoop where as too many lands off the top in modern and a game that was in your hands swings back and you lose.
>>
>>48103843
Three reasons why new thalia is better in Modern :
>It's blue
>It costs more than 3
>It's not a creature.

There, maybe one day you'll actually know how to play this game properly.
>>
>>48104182
>tap out turn 4 for Frozen Aether against my jund/jeskai/affinity/scapeshift opponent
>pass, they kill me
>>
What's a good deck that allows plenty of interaction with my opponent. I like winning, but I like playing magic more. I like tension and challenge, but don't want to play solitaire or count to 20.
>>
>>48104232
Play Jeskai control. Or jund.
>>
>>48104232
MONKEY GROW
>>
>>48104215
>>48104217
I never said Frozen Aether is good. Im just saying new thalia isnt either
The fact that weve had the effect on an enchantment for years and its unplayabale should tell you something
>>
>>48104232
http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=198&f=MO&meta=118
You want the unholy pile of shit that is 3-5 Color Gifts.

One primary win condition backed up with 2-3 other win conditions with one other in the sideboard. All held together by a control shell of hand disruption, removal, and Liliana of the Veil.
>>
Would you recommend Modern to people? Why or why not?
>>
>>48104232
do you want your opponent to be able to interact with you as well?
>>
>>48104978
Of course, to a degree I can overcome, but none the less I would like to acknowledge very frequently that I'm playing with others
>>
>>48104985
desu regardless of your answer i was going to say lantern control because it's a cool deck and i want more people playing it..
however I feel like the aforementioned jund and its ilk fit the bill pretty well. You sound like a thoughtseize abrupt decay goyf kinda guy.
>>
>>48103595
Idk it makes sense to me. From what I understand the last time wizards tried putting a high value modern reprint in standard was thoughtseize and they didn't like what it did to the format. All of the best decks while it was legal played 4 and a lot of players felt ripped off because its price tag was being inflated by older formats.
>>
>>48104417
yeeeeaah homie, this my fucking shit

most fun deck in modern coming through
>>
>>48105162
Thoughtseize is a bad card for Standard. The card is actually way too strong as it shreds weak but otherwise playable hands.

In eternal formats where decks are more consistent, Thoughtseize is fine and fair.

Wizards claiming it was a bad idea because of price purposes is plainly wrong. If they said it was because of power level that would be accurate. But if they use that excuse to not reprint powerful effects en masse then it's a shit excuse and even worse if they didn't know how fucking powerful the card was. Everyone knows how bad Thoughtseize was in Standard the first time around and it's just depressing Wizards wasn't aware of that before reprinting that.
>>
>>48104327
New Thalia fits the theme of Hatebears and D&T. She also is in the same colors, has a reasonable CMC and is a creature so she can be vialed in. This card has a legitimate place there.

Frozen Aether isn't played not necessarily because of it's effect but because it doesn't fit in any competitive deck. That's the main difference between the two.
>>
>>48102203
The card is literally color shifted.
>>
>>48105162
>All of the best decks while it was legal played 4 and a lot of players felt ripped off because its price tag was being inflated by older formats.
>This was terrible
>Next core set
>JVP is a 4 of all around and peaks at $90

I don't know how many Standards you've been around for, but since around the era of RTR's printing and the formation of Modern (and select Standard's before then), Standard has literally been R&D stumbling from one dumpster fire into the next.
>>
>>48105162
>From what I understand the last time wizards tried putting a high value modern reprint in standard was thoughtseize

KTK Fetchs are also pretty valuable.
>>
File: 1346614845769.jpg (143 KB, 848x942) Image search: [Google]
1346614845769.jpg
143 KB, 848x942
>>48105615
>mfw JVP is now under 40$
>mfw it keeps falling down

Laughing my ass off at those modern fags that bought a playset of this shit for their UWx control deck.
>>
i hope things change so modern gets more popular and the spikes go back to playing the "real" formats and get the hell out of my EDH
>>
>>48105242
>New [card] fits the theme of Hatebears and D&T. She also is in the same colors, has a reasonable CMC and is a creature so she can be vialed in. This card has a legitimate place there.

Can you guess what goes in the blank? Hint: It's not Thalia.

Try your best, and then look at the answer below!

Aegis of the Gods, Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Cartel Aristocrat, Dryad Militant, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Fleecemane Lion, Frontline Medic, Geist of Saint Traft, Herald of Anafenza, Kor Firewalker, Leonin Arbiter, Loxodon Smiter, Mentor of the Meek, Mirran Crusader, Monastery Mentor, Soldier of the Pantheon, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Voice of Resurgence and a dozen others I'm sure I missed.

We've been down this road many times before. Hatebears in modern is a tier3 deck not for lack of good creatures. This one isn't going to push it over the edge.
>>
>>48106230
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
Hatebears is putting in a respectable showing though. And you named some shit cards. Heralf of Anafenza? Monastery Mentor? Nigger please.
>>
>>48106271
>And you named some shit cards

When I add NewThalia to my list in a year some weenie skrub is going to say the same thing.
>>
>>48104716
Yes, because it's fun. No, because the price is completely ridiculous and WotC has shown no interest in changing that.
>>
>>48103719
2k later and I'm only down 2 more duals before I've finished ANT. This is a reasonable format with reasonable barrier of entry I swear.
>>
>new Lily is garbage
Sigh
>>
>>48103719
There's literally a few decks that cost much less than modern tier one decks.
>>
>>48108542
And they suck. Your point?

Don't buy into Legacy with a shit deck.
>>
>>48108888
But they don't suck.
>>
>>48108492
>They could just reprint Liliana otv because standard has 0 good black decks
>>
File: nephaliaacademy.jpg (37 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
nephaliaacademy.jpg
37 KB, 265x370
Which decks does this card significantly improve against discard matchups? (Jund, Junk, etc.)
>>
>>48103512
My advice would be to pick up a draft cube if you can. My local store sells a couple and a cube would be something nice to play with friends.
>>
File: RP9HO58.jpg (31 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
RP9HO58.jpg
31 KB, 431x431
Just a reminder that you could sell your Modern deck and get a big screen TV, or sound system, or good basic wardrobe, or a gaming PC, or nice musical instrument that would last until you die.

Or just keep that pile of cards and justify the cost every day you are alive.
>>
>>48109023
>Library of Leng on a land.
Fucking really wizards?
>>
>>48109219
>good basic wardrobe
Why? What do I need that for? Hell, what would I even want that for?
>>
>>48103231

I opened all of my tarmogoyfs drafting TSP block when they were $20.
>>
>>48109023
Can't think of any. Leyline is better in combo decks like ad nauseam and no other deck cares enough about discard to justify using it.
>>
File: this deck is BANANAS.png (3 MB, 1252x1565) Image search: [Google]
this deck is BANANAS.png
3 MB, 1252x1565
Gonna build this
>>
>>48110393
Good luck, go ape on them
>>
>>48094416
You need at least four copies of Hardened Scales, Renegade Krasis, and Gyre Sage. Add Bioshift to deal with removal. Kalonian Hydra is your best friend. Use Overwhelming Stampede as your finisher.
>>
How long will Ad Nauseum be a thing?
>>
>>48105240
You just parroted my exact reasoning. Most older cards that we want reprints of are too powerful for standard, like thoughtseize. On top of that, those super powerful cards are inflated in price by older formats so standard players felt like they were getting it from both ends. Wizards listens to standard players way more than modern players. The bottom line is there are very few cards that need a reprint because of price reasons that would not wreck standard in its current state.
>>
>>48111255
Indefinitely. It has been a deck since modern began to exist and has only improved since then.
>>
File: 1467637661802.jpg (29 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
1467637661802.jpg
29 KB, 265x370
>>48099090
Oh whats that? You wanted a good reprint? Or something to makes blue a less shit color? How about that legendary spider clearly ALL of you wanted!

Who the FUCK are these autists who keep asking for stupid shit like this? Also, this thing is shit as an EDH commander so even they are pretty pissed.
>>
>>48110393
lel that's absurd and I like it

How hard would it get smashed against actual Modern decks?
>>
This is what I am playing. Jeskai Tempo with Delver and Geist. Geist made unblockable with Emerge Unscathed and Slip through Space is awesome! The pic is a bit old and I'm not playing the Pike anymore.
>>
Hey, guys. If anyone of you guys were here on Friday, I was talking about my R/W Modern deck. A few of you were asking for my deck recipe. So here it is:
Creatures:
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
2x Nearheath Chaplain
3x Valley Dasher
1x Young Pyromancer
1x Impetuous Sunchaser
1x Bellows Lizard
1X Odric, Lunarch Marshal
1x Dauntless Cathar
2x Kitesail Scout
1x Skyknight Legionnaire
Instants/Sorceries:
4x Rally the Peasants
2x Trumpet Blast
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Raise the Alarm
1x Inspired Charge
1x Lightning Strike
1x Ondu Rising
1x Kytheon's Tactics
1x Not Forgotten
Enchantments:
1x Vessel of Ephemera
1x Assemble the Legion
3x Impact Tremors
Planeswalkers:
1x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Lands:
10x Plains
8x Mountains
1x Wind-Scarred Crag
1x Evolving Wilds
So, what do you guys think? Anything I can add, cut, etc. to make it better?
>>
>>48111336
Thanks. It's cheaper too. I'll probably buy it.
>>
>>48109023
If it lets us put it on the battlefield tapped or something, then we'd actually be getting somewhere.
>>
>>48103565
>start with the manabase then shitbrew
I actually really like this take on budget brewing.
>>
>>48111476
The same people who ask le wacky unglued rules questions on blogatog
>>
File: 44.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
which modern deck do i play if i just want to WIN as much as possible in a meta full of stupid shit like blood moon/choke decks and random shittastic brews
>>
>>48112389
Burn
>>
Do you think that with a set getting an oath and a lot of walkers, we would inebitably get a superfriends deck become at least tier 3?
>>
>>48112532
The oaths are often just wasted space when you could be playing more removal/protection/walkers for said superfriends deck. At this moment, superfriends decks are just too slow and vulnerable to linear aggro counterspells.
>>
So. Any way to get into competitive modern without spending $500 on a mana base before getting to the spells?
>>
>>48112796
Merfolk, ad nauseam, elves, dredge. Just off the top of my head
>>
>>48112843
What I meant was a way to get into competetive modern without relying on the cheapest possible decks that die to languish.
>>
>>48112902
So you want to play an expensive competitive deck without paying for it
>>
>>48112902
Try the Chinaman, or get a job.
>>
>>48111476

BAHAHAHAHAHA

In what world does MaRo think this is actually the card that anybody wants? Is he senile?
>>
File: 54e6554f67f.gif (208 KB, 250x219) Image search: [Google]
54e6554f67f.gif
208 KB, 250x219
>>48112902
>is there any cheap competitive modern decks
>but don't give me any cheap decks please
This is good shitposting my man
>>
>>48111255
>>48111336
Until it improves enough to be solidly T1 and gets banned
>>
>>48112902
I hear that Burn is a really good deck that is pretty cheap and preforms very well against most decks.

Speaking of which r8 my burn list /tg/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lightning-bolt-tribal/
>>
>>48113335
I actually think this is super rad, I've been wanting to make a spider centric deck for forever now.
>>
>>48113875
In Modern ? Are you trolling or just bad at the game ?
>>
>>48114089
Oh fuck no, not in modern. I wanted to do it in EDH
>>
>>48114145
Please use any other b/g commander.
>>
>>48113667
>tier 1 decks being banned for being tier 1
>ever since Wizards removed Modern's pro tour status
Ad nauseam isn't getting a ban unless it becomes tier 0, which it won't because there are enough sideboard cards to answer it.
>>
File: incendiaryflow.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
incendiaryflow.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
I feel really bad for standard kiddies, as it stands This, Fiery Temper, Exquisite Firecraft and Atarka's command are the only remotely good burn spells.
>>
>>48112389
Infect.
>>
guise i want to make fun deck with a color i never played and hate its design, that would be white deck.
Got anything funny there?
>>
>>48115073
Play Soul Sisters
>>
Are old cards going to get reprinted after Origin gets cycled out?
>>
File: 1326428426285.jpg (26 KB, 322x304) Image search: [Google]
1326428426285.jpg
26 KB, 322x304
>>48115344
Oh anon
>>
>>48104279
Jeskai control seems alright
I'm not a fan of Jund mostly because it's too straight forward as a creature and removal deck
>>48104417
Gifts seems great. I want 4colors to really push how stupid this can be.
>>
File: Every day until you like it.png (1 MB, 936x890) Image search: [Google]
Every day until you like it.png
1 MB, 936x890
2x Progenitus
2x Magus of the Bazaar
4x tombstalker
4x Shambling Attendants
4x birds of Paradise
4x simian sprit guide

4x tome scour
4x thought scour
4x thoughtsieze/inquisition
4x Eldritch evolution
4x dispell/your counterspell of choice

1x Overgrown tomb, watery grave, breeding pool
1x swamp, island, forest
2x dakmor salvage
4x Verdant catacombs
4x Polluted delta
4x bloodstaind mire
>>
>>48115545
What a pile of shit. You have no idea how to build a deck
>>
>>48104182
youngmexicangirlwithtacos.jpg
>>
File: 1459100267495.png (92 KB, 503x257) Image search: [Google]
1459100267495.png
92 KB, 503x257
>>48103843
>>
File: descarga (1).jpg (11 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
descarga (1).jpg
11 KB, 190x265
Thoughts?
>>
>>48115420
Well I seriously wanna know. I'm just getting back into magic and the last set I bought from was like.. Urza.
>>
>>48109023
goryo's vengeance decks.
>>
>>48100879
>>48093943
>>48093064
>>48093004
Wow, you faggots need to chill. This is why everyone hates magic players.

>>48092885
Unfortunately, this person is probably right.

>>48093054

I do like the card though. If you make it mythic, I can see it being used in EDH.
>>
>>48116168
>I do like the card though. If you make it mythic, I can see it being used in EDH.
>T1 cast Summoner's Pact, donate it away
>Pass turn, win
Fuck off. Custom cards do not belong in modern general, especially horribly designed ones.
>>
File: Outskill.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Outskill.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
I don't see a problem with custom cards. They create interesting hypothetical situations for the format. For example, what would happen to modern if a card like this was made?
>>
>>48116256
>Any number of bloodmoons from outside the game into play
>instant
No, there's nothing interesting about your shitty customs cards. Go to an actual custom card thread if you want to talk about hypotheticals.
>>
>>48116312
The drawback is is that you effectively don't get a sideboard if you want to use this card effectively, meaning that a few sideboard cards like back to nature can completely counter your entire gameplan without having any way to stop it.
>>
>>48116256
Turn four win.
Four arch of aggression, four great revelers, one mass hysteria.

There's nothing wrong with custom cards but when autists like you post shit like this in threads for the sheer purpose of trying to get people who don't care about your card to look at it because ccg didn't care about your broken poorly designed and utterly uninspired sorry excuse of a card it really doesn't sell that well.
Either you're a very very good troll or you are part of what makes tg so bad at magic.
>>
>>48116543
Who needs a sideboard when my deck wins without it
>>
File: a8GnPm0[1].jpg (43 KB, 223x315) Image search: [Google]
a8GnPm0[1].jpg
43 KB, 223x315
What are the most fun Modern tribal in your opinion?

I have only made a few Modern decks on mtgo and would love to try out a tribal (that aren't merfolk or boglins)
>>
>>48116603
But you then have to deal with cards like back to nature and any other enchantment removal that completely counters your deck.
>>
File: Berserkers Bellow.png (297 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Berserkers Bellow.png
297 KB, 375x523
Now listen here faggot, if you are going to post custom cards:
1) post them in the fucking custom card thread
2) post ones that aren't complete clusterfuck broken shit
>>
>>48116621
>What are the most fun Modern tribal in your opinion?
Lightning Bolts
>>
>>48116636
It's four mana win the game.
Just wait until your opponent taps out or isn't playing green and you will win every time.
Please stop.
>>
>>48116621
Snow Lands.
I love skred
>>
>>48116636
Because sideboarding is not a valid way of balancing mechanics. Back to Nature does not "completely counter" this awful custom card.
4 Grim Guardian
1 of absolutely any other enchantment
Game. Go make a thread if you want a custom card jerk circle.
>>
>>48116797
I bet your list is shit and you're bad at piloting it
>>
>>48116802
That would only remove 4 life though.
>>
>>48116802
>Because sideboarding is not a valid way of balancing mechanics
This argument attacks half of the Modern metagame you know. Affinity, Burn, Bogles, Tron, so many decks that bullshit game 1 then hope you don't draw your sideboard cards.
>>
What's your dream deck that you wished was Modern legal?

Sneak and Show
>>
>>48117441
12 Post
>>
Do you guys like the Escalate unilateral Wheel + burn at 4 mana? I think at least 1 would fit in a Burn sideboard.
>>
>>48117542
Nevermind, it's utter shit, I had misread the card.
>>
>>48117441
Mono-red Sneak Attack is pretty funny, even though it's BooHoogland playing it.
>>
>>48112902
>Ad Nauseam dies to Languish
Loving Every Laugh
>>
>>48117273
Once again, /tg/ proves that they are truly excellent at Magic!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.