[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: spo.png (426 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
spo.png
426 KB, 612x792
>Previous Thread: >>48032586

>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_%26_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is live!(Technically the latest news is Beast&Exalted shirts, but I doubt anybody gives a fuck about that)
http://theonyxpath.com/the-deluxe-becketts-jyhad-diary-kickstarter-is-now-live/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
What is the most powerful being?
>>
File: dubs.jpg (14 KB, 248x249) Image search: [Google]
dubs.jpg
14 KB, 248x249
What kind of slasher would Patrick "Dubs" Bateman be?
>>
>>48081860

Charmer. Works so well that even when he tries to admit to it people don't believe him.
>>
Okay, so I'm middling familiar with the game mechanics of WoD/CoD, but I've read a lot into the lore of Prometheans and Changelings in particular because they interested me the most, and I've poked my head into the room on Vampires, Werewolves, Mages and Changing Breeds. I mentioned at my local game shop last week that I'd really love for someone to run a game of CoD, and was met with an entire group of people asking me what that was. After explaining the general premise of "Modern world gothic horror game that has all kinds of nasty things that can kill you with a thought and game systems to play as several of them" I basically was told by about seven people that if I would run a game they would be interesting in playing.

Is there any specific book or online reference/resource that I can look to for a quick summary of the lore of the particular splats like Werewolf or Mage, as well as perhaps a beginners guide to running a CoD game? I know the general mechanics, but being familiar with D&D/Pathfinder, the health mechanics in CoD seem to gear more towards combat being used exceedingly sparingly with damage recovering over a course of *days* and not much health to begin with. I don't want to run a potential game group off by handing them a game of supernatural creatures and them not being able to let loose often enough to satisfy them.

Either way I'm not going to rush into this like tomorrow or anything, but any reference material or a point to the proper books/chapters to look at for this sort of stuff would be greatly appreciated. I have the entire collection in PDF, but with somewhere around 400-500 individual books, it's a bit tricky to find a starting point.
>>
>>48082235

>I mentioned at my local game shop last week that I'd really love for someone to run a game of CoD, and was met with an entire group of people asking me what that was.

Wow, how times have changed.

Anyways, for online lore and reference stuff, there's the White Wolf Wikia, which has lots of in-universe info, but is a bit spotty at times due to being a wiki.

The basic lore of any supernatural creature can be found in their corebooks. These are usually books just titled in the X: the X format. You're going to learn the basics about Werewolves in Werewolf: The Forsaken, the basics about Hunters in Hunter the Vigil, and so on and so forth. In the first edition of CofD, all their lore is in Chapter 1, right after the introduction. In the second edition of CofD, all their lore is in Chapter 2, right after Chapter 1 which covers the splats. In WoD books of any edition, their lore is usually in what is called Book 1, which consists of the first three or so chapters.
>>
>>48082595
Okay, that's helpful. I knew there were basics there, but I was also looking for something a bit more in-depth, perhaps a fan-written summary that might cover some of the more advanced stuff in brief and/or possible connections that could be drawn between multiple splats if so desired.

I know that CoD Vampires are basically all jaded immortals whose only real purpose in (un)life is playing political games and vying for power then eventually undergoing torpor and forgetting much of their past before they wake up again a couple of decades later, but I'd love something that also summarizes the Strix, some of the various clans/cults and maybe touches on the Tremere/Mage connections.

Likewise it'd be nice to have something that gives a quick overview of the whole Mage schtick, because that seems very complex what with Archons, Oracles and whatnot, but also the potential connections between Mage Arcadia and Changeling Arcadia, the sixth watchtower and what it's all about, all that good junk.

I just want to be able to give everyone at the table a good overview of what each particular splat could/would involve to gauge interest in what kind of game or character they'd like to play, as well as being able, as a dm, to drop in some lore-friendly NPCs from other splats without being completely off the mark. I think it'd be fun to run a changeling game where they encounter a mage that takes an unhealthy interest in them and has to be taken out, or maybe a Promethean game with a recurring vampire NPC that serves as a contrast to the quest for humanity.

I know bits and bobs but just something that could solidify all the more advanced lore into a solid narrative with the core stuff to give me a basic understanding would be great, then I could read more into it if I feel the need to have more information on what a Strix might do to a chronicle, or how an Archon or Oracle might directly affect players.
>>
Anyone know a WoD character archive? Need some reference/idea to steal. hehe.
>>
>>48083367
Cmon man be creative.
>>
Hey guys, I don't know how many of you know C:tl premade adventures, but can you recommend one that deals with Changeling court politics?

I feel like I've never done Changeling politics well, and I want an example to work from for my players.
>>
>>48083012
I think I can contribute a bit.

Vampire: You've pretty much got it for the basics. Some interesting other bits you may or may not know:
>Vampire blood causes Stockholm Syndrome.
>They are influenced slightly by the blood they drink, developing the accents and vague cultural knowledge of the local populace with each swig of blood.
>They can evolve over generations. Bloodlines gain additional abilities and weaknesses, and if cut off from the parent clan long enough, could theoretically become a clan in their own right.
>Each clan might have (read: probably did) originate as a distinct type of undead blood-drinking monster, and they've gradually evolved to be more like each other. A hypothetical non-Kindred breed of vampire, given enough time and exposure to Kindred, could *become* another Kindred clan. The Jiangshi presented in the 2E core are close to this, and there are other creatures (Check out Night Horrors) that could fill this role as well.
>They have "The Beast": The reptile part of the brain on supernatural steroids. They can use it to lash out at others, but it can also send them into a frenzy. ("Fight or flight" x10)
>The Strix can possess dead bodies, including "live" vampires. The only way to tell them from normal is that they can walk in the sun and their eyes have a yellow glow/shimmer, though they can cause this effect in others to make it harder to find the real culprit. They're also every bit as backstabby as Kindred, and often have their own power struggles.
>>
>>48083012
Werewolf:
You're spirit cops. The "mortal" and spirit worlds used to be connected, with "the border marches" separating them. Your spiritual ancestors and their Father Wolf would hunt the marches, keeping the two worlds largely divided, despite being physically connected. This is because when humans and spirits interact, things go to shit very quickly. Humans have a disproportionate impact on spirit ecology and spirits have disproportionate power in "our" realm. But daddy wolf was getting old and the number of trespassers kept increasing, so YOUR spiritual ancestors killed him so that they could take his mantle and better fulfil his role. This fucked the world and split it in two, and now your spiritual "cousins", the Pure, are super pissed at you. This is ON TOP OF having to uphold pappy's duties to keep spirits from fucking things up in the mortal world.
>There are 5 "main" ancestors (who head the five main tribes), 3 Pure ancestors (the Pure have 3 tribes of their own), some dead and/or missing ancestors, and a cannibalistic fuckwit who claims to be the Lycaon from Greek myth who's also trying to ascend to the same state as the ancestors.
>There are other beings native to the border marches that got fucked up and splintered when the world broke. The rats chew through the barrier between worlds, causing chaos, and the spiders strengthen the barrier, but instead of balancing things, they want to separate the worlds entirely.
>Some of the spirits are mutant hybrids called Magath. In order to survive they must create essence attuned to them, which tends to wreak havoc. (A spirit of "books and lightning" is doomed to cause problems)
>Papa Wolf got rid of some alien spirits by trapping them on his wife, the moon. When mankind landed on the moon, we brought some of them back. They're spirits of things that do not exist, and are a bitch to get rid of because they can change their weaknesses and are effectively made of plot bullshit.
>>
>>48083012
Demon:
>To them, the universe is the Matrix, and they remember some of the console commands. They just have to worry about getting caught.
>The number 4 shows up a lot for them, and is almost mythical: Their set of unique/personal powers caps at 4. There are 4 "incarnations" (what the demon's role was before it fell). They fall into one of 4 agendas. Their embeds (the aformentioned console commands) fall into 4 different categories.
>There's actually a 5th incarnation, but it breaks the "4" mold, so they often keep that part hidden from each other, as all demons are paranoid enough as-is.
>They can speak, read, and write all non-dead languages.
>They have perfect memories.
>They have perfect poker faces.
>They make pacts for souls in order to use those souls (or pieces thereof) to better hide from enemy agents.
>The God Machine (Matrix) and it's Angels (agents) are everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
>>
In mass games, one of the major motivations for players, whether they admit it or not, is the advancement of their character. This naturally leads to lots of OOC politics and metagaming in the interest of their character's IC circumstances.

How can this be suppressed?
>>
>>48084876
Mass games?
>>
>>48084911
MUSHes, Chats, etc. Things with dozens, occasionally hundreds, of active players.
>>
>>48084876
Restricted access to OOC knowledge.
>>
>>48085152
That sounds easier said than done.
>>
>>48085200
It is.
Which is why attempting to do so, with such a gigantic group of people, is so futile.
>>
>What? There's an Abyssal Verge in a rabbit farm? Oh well, can't get too bad, they're just rabbits...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKPhjkw3Y84
>>
>>48084876
What if you went the other way and encouraged it? The players are "playing" divine /"all knowing" entities that themselves are directing that player's "real" character. The entity has all the knowledge the player does, and gives orders/visions/etc to the character, allowing them to justify their shenanigans without utterly destroying the RP.
It's far from a perfect solution, but I find that working *with* tends to work better than working *against*.
>>
>>48084622
One thing about the 5th Incarnation is that it's not even always a matter of being hidden from each other. They're quite rare and Incarnation on an in universe standpoint is something they just figure out based on what they remember doing, not something that's included in their Serial number. Most Analysts realize that they remember doing jobs that didn't quite fit along with the four known Incarnations, but don't realize that they're something beyond just an unusual Psychopomp.
>>
>>48085270
Cyriak IS the abyss.
>>
>>48086556
That is true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toe-8ykTUT8
>>
Invited to a Hunter game. The charater will be under Maleus Maleficarum/Society of Leopold kind of organization. The problem is, there's too much Hellsing on my head that anything I can think of become a boring Drizzt-level copypasta. (Aaaaaaaaaa-men!)

Can someone give me a fresh idea/concept?
>>
>>48086613
>Can someone give me a fresh idea/concept?
No but I can give you a quote.
>"Piei esu dominei, dona ei es requiem." *Thwack!*

On second thoughts a flagellant Hunter might be an interesting concept.
>>
>>48086613
Play a rock star/wanna be

Straight up, loves heavy metal and thinks being the son of satan is going to be great.
>>
>>48086613
Don't make your character = his job

Maybe he collects rare books and the holy Hunting is an extension of his hobby. Maybe his dog was killed by a devil and he decided he wants his fucking dog back. Maybe he has a nephew who he adopted after his parents were killed by a drunk driver and this is the only way he knows to make that kid proud of him.
>>
>>48086763
nevermind, this is lucifuge. Make a christian rock star, or just some chump catholic who got pulled into something way too big for him.
>>
>>48086803
>Maybe his dog was killed by a devil and he decided he wants his fucking dog back

What a fucking hero
>>
Are there any merits to help with resisting magic for a non-Mage?
The only thing I can find is the third dot of Division Six status
>>
>>48087718
From the corebook: the Giant Merit, and Indomitable should probably add 1 to Withstand.
>>
>>48087718
Dave implied that Indomitable applies to Awakened magic as well. Instead of the normal benefit you get +1 Withstand.
>>
>>48084278
>Requiem shit

That's pretty weak, Holmes. No faux-Biblical garbage or ancient conspiracies baked right in?
>>
File: 1467535807235.jpg (201 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1467535807235.jpg
201 KB, 600x600
>>48084278
I'd throw in

>Vampires eventually become unable to subsist on animals. Then unable to subsist on humans too, elders usually can only feed on younger vampires.
>>
File: Big Penis.jpg (12 KB, 500x95) Image search: [Google]
Big Penis.jpg
12 KB, 500x95
>>48088742
Part of me really wants to play either a bloodthirsty Methusaleh or a Thinblood Blood Doll thereto, but I just know it would get super weird super fast
>>
>>48083012
>I know that CoD Vampires are basically all jaded immortals whose only real purpose in (un)life is playing political games and vying for power then eventually undergoing torpor and forgetting much of their past before they wake up again a couple of decades later, but I'd love something that also summarizes the Strix, some of the various clans/cults and maybe touches on the Tremere/Mage connections.

Don't look at vampires as jaded. Think of it more this way.
Every vampire is a predator. Every vampire is, ultimately, in competition with all other vampires. Since they are ageless, eventually, ALL other vampires will be a threat to you.

The Tremere/Mage connection seems to be via the Theban, who is some kind of crazy-powerful thing who lived back in the days of Rome. It's uncertain exactly what it is, but it is the source of both Theban Sorcery (presumably) and the Tremere (according to their own lore).
It's also mentioned in the Giovanni do-over in one of the Bloodlines books that the Giovannis have a tight connection with some "soul-eating, immortal, mages."
>>
>>48083012
>Likewise it'd be nice to have something that gives a quick overview of the whole Mage schtick, because that seems very complex what with Archons, Oracles and whatnot...

I'll start with a few of the powerful beings.

Exarchs: Ancient mages who ascended bodily into the Supernal and rules it with an iron fist. Patrons of the Seers, gods of tyranny.
Archons: The old gods. The ones who used to be the big deal before the Exarchs. They are still a big deal, but the Exarchs are big deals too. There are a few who are exiled to the Fallen, these are generally known as The Bound. One of the Seers' sacred duties is keeping them bound, and the Pentacle tends to agree there, because no one wants angry gods stomping around in the world.
Oracles: Mytical creatures, said to be mages who ascended alongside the Exarchs, but fought them. Are said to have raised the watchtowers to allow others to Awaken. Unlike the Exarchs, they aren't directly active. One theory is that they became the Watchtowers. Another is that they never existed.
Aeons: The Astral representations of the Paths/Arcana, plus the Abyss. There are 10 of them, including the Abyss, because the Mastigos ones are just one being. It has a personality that can best be described as "Satan". Power equivalent to the mightiest spirits.
Annunaki: Greater Abyssal Entities. Entire living realities of Abyssal rules. Examples include: A time-line where the Abyss ruled since ancient Egypt, a reality where maths and physics work a bit differently, a reality where everything is constantly being destroyed. They are kind of a big deal. Probably on par with the Exarchs in power.
>>
Does this game just not exist online or something?
>>
Does anyone have the oWoD Werewolf:Apocalypse Apocalypse pdf? The one in mega is 5 pages of 'nothing'
>>
>>48083012
>...but also the potential connections between Mage Arcadia and Changeling Arcadia, the sixth watchtower and what it's all about, all that good junk.

>Mage/Changeling Arcadia mixup.
That was done by the old Changeling writers, with no support from the Mage side. Any connections are being violently excised from canon with 2e.
>Sixth Watchtower.
There are plenty of myths allow people to Awaken to other Watchtowers than the big canon ones. To begin with there are five abyssal Watchtowers, the reflections of the "real" ones in the Abyss. The ones who sign their names on these are mostly already Awakened, who wish for more Abyssal power. But there are a few who have Awakened to them, being born to magic as Scelesti. This is bad news.
Then there are the ideas about the 6th and 7th watchtower, parts of the Tremere mythos. They conflate the watchtowers with the dragons, and have lots of weird ideas here. Apparently the 6th watchtower/dragon is the vampires in their entirety. But it's not something one can Awaken to, because that Dragon never left. The 7th watchtower is what they attempt to build by feeding souls into either the Abyss or a particularly nasty Bound. This, btw, also ties into the Vampire/Tremere thing, as it's yet another group of weird not-really-vampires with 7 as an arc number. VII! VII! VII!
There can also be False Awakenings, when a Mage Awakens to a Watchtower that doesn't exist. They have totally unique experiences, combinations of Arcana unknown to other Mages, have an intuitive understanding of magic, and grow faster than anyone could ever have expected! They are Teh bestest unique snowflake OC donut steel mages. Then they expode, this might be Abyss, but no one is really sure.
Finally, there is a 6th watchtower that's apparently a Forces/Spirit watchtower, I'm a bit unsure about that, since I've mostly seen that one in fanon mentions.
>>
>>48084455
Two minor tweaks.
1st: I'd call them spirit hunters, rather than spirit cops. That's a bit of a nitpick, but the hunt is such a big deal of their makeup so I think it's fair to mention that.
2nd: I don't think the Uratha are Descended from the Firstborn. They are more like cousins. All of the Firstborn are children of Father Wolf and some powerful spirit. But when it came to the creation of Werewolves, Luna had to mix up humanity in it all, and they turned out completely different.
(There is also a cult who believes the Werewolves are one step removed, created by an Idigam, who in their views are the children of Luna. Which fits, mad and everchanging, and all that.)
>>
>>48088579
>That's pretty weak, Holmes. No faux-Biblical garbage or ancient conspiracies baked right in?
The Lancea et Sanctum are pretty faux-Biblical to me, and the youngest of the Covenants dates from the French revolution, the oldest is from the days of Rome. They qualify as ancient, yes?
>>
File: 1467448773483.jpg (208 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1467448773483.jpg
208 KB, 1124x1024
>>48088909
>>48088579

There's also the Cainite Heresy hunter conspiracy that considers all vampires to be the get of Caine and its their holy responsibility to hunt them down and STOP FUCKING PUTTING OWOD INTO NWOD ONYX PATH

>Take my favourite thing from dark ages
>Reverse it, make it modern and put it into another setting and edition

Just fuck my shit up
>>
File: WoD Game.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WoD Game.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
R8 my game, lads.
>>
>>48088935
anime/vamp
>>
>>48088954
I'm legitimately baffled by this. I understand the anime, because this shit is kawaii, but where is the vampire bit coming from?
>>
>>48088935
WhyIOnlyPlayWithFriends/10.
>>
>>48088979
Anime girls are deceivers who whisper little nothings into your ears while you're sucked dry
>>
>>48088935
>Ascension
wew lad
>>
>>48088880
>there is a 6th watchtower that's apparently a Forces/Spirit watchtower,
yeah, that realms inferior Arcana is Prime, so a mage from the Sixth watchtower has a Stand...but apart from that they are completely useless.
>>
>>48089113
Do you know where it's from? I see it mentioned every now and then, but I don't know the source.
>>
>>48089079
Ascension is great.
>>
>>48089124
Finally someone who thinks this!
I can't get my head around it: Why do you like it?
>>
>>48089119
I haven't the foggiest clue.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDhz5kanYk
Something tells me that this may be an incursion from the Abyss.
>>
>>48089119
It's from the Chronicler's Guide.
>>
>>48089119
It was on subnet, dunno the source
>>
>>48089175
Ah. So basically fanon then.
>>
>>48089185
And it was terrible, basically it was a depiction of how not to make Watchtower (Seriously, why make Prime your inferior Arcana?)
>>
>>48089132
For one, the premise is 10/10. Consensual reality is just a great concept that allows for players to do pretty much anything they can imagine.

Second, the setting is fantastic. Like literally fantastic, too. You have someone slinging atomic death lasers at an opponent who parries them with his fists; you have a traditional Jewish golem kickboxing Pepe; you have a little Time War going on between a dope fiend and a Nobel Prize winner, each trying to get the critical edge that wins them the fight before it starts; and all of this is happening on top of a futuristic battlecruiser as it hurtles towards the sun and maneuvers between the salvos of the pirate airships on its flanks.

Ascension is about that, and it's ALSO about the little tricks and feints you pull when reality isn't looking - to make the yellow light last just long enough that the garbage truck thinks it's going to make it, barrels through a red, and crushes that Syndicate fuck's sports car like a tin can.

It's a great fucking game, Ascension.
>>
File: My Group.png (513 KB, 1392x788) Image search: [Google]
My Group.png
513 KB, 1392x788
>>48088935
Now rate mine
>>
>>48089279
Ah, got it. Taste differences, because all the things you rate as high points I rate as low.

Consensual reality is a messy and nonsensical concept. It also causes endless arguments about how Paradox works.

And regarding the setting? Well, that is kinda cool, but it's not magical. And it's just too gonzo.
>>
>>48089300
Ah, historical games! Nice.
>>
>>48089300
Classy.
>>
File: olsenbanden05_pic4.jpg (246 KB, 1554x916) Image search: [Google]
olsenbanden05_pic4.jpg
246 KB, 1554x916
>Be a demon who's carved out a nice living hiding away from the all-seeing god machine
>Some dickass mage thinks you're some twink ghost or something
>Can't take out your true form to whoop his ass
>End up doing what he asks out of fear of the God Machine

This is true suffering
>>
>>48089300
>or any combination thereof.
surely you don't mean...GYPSY PROTESTANT THIEVES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4
>>
>>48089321
>it's just too gonzo.
I see, you're one of those nWoD SJW types.
>>
>>48089434

What the fuck does SJW have to do with wanting to keep things a bit grounded?
>>
>>48089506
Only a self-conscious SJW would respond to such obvious bait.

Come on Aspel, really?
>>
>>48089516
Eh. I'm not Aspel, and I'm seriously confused as to what SJW has to do with anything. Is SJW just slapped onto everything CofD nowadays?
>>
>>48089547
As a semi-joking insult, yeah.
I mean, even given the trans characters and shit it's really not that prolific.
>>
>>48089547
CofD is pretty fucking SJW, I mean it literally shills trans shit, "alternative lifestyles", and includes sections of "gender and identity" in rulebooks.

Not only that, but the actual content of the games is far more likely to be tumblr-tier bitching and moaning about petty, insignificant shit, instead of being super powered badasses who stalk the night, kick wrinkled elder ass, and take True Names.
>>
I have a problem with something from Awakening 2e. Which spells need to be given an Indefinite duration and which effects can be made Lasting? The books mentions that I have to decide which are irreversible, but what does that mean in practice?
>>
>>48089639
I mean, it really makes worlds of sense that a game about Mages would go into a lot of detail about gender and identity and alternative lifestyles. You're probably just a white male bigot who is upset he's on the wrong side of history. Jus' sayin'.
>>
>>48089836
Well meme'd.
>>
>>48089780
Yeah. Lasting effects are done after they are, you know, done. Indefinite just doesn't end.

But how to differentiate between the two? No idea.
>>
So what are the problems with CofD, mechanics-wise? I don't really get it and I'd rather not realize it in the middle of play. I just want to have a good time.
>>
File: 1467542614625.jpg (155 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1467542614625.jpg
155 KB, 700x525
What cool shit can an Arcanthus do?
>>
>>48089300
Has a Moros/10
>>
>>48090322
true that, Moros are a best.

Could one make Magic; the Gathering style Weirds using Matter and Forces?
>>
>>48090519
I don't even think you'd need Matter. Though Mind would certainly help. Or you could use Forces+Spirit or Death.
>>
>>48090274
Literally everything. Acanthus are broken good now.
>>
>>48088895
>There is also a cult who believes the Werewolves are one step removed, created by an Idigam, who in their views are the children of Luna.
Source? That sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to have as secret canon in a Werewolf game.
>>
>>48090810
Lodge of the Quicksilver Children, page 216 in WtF 2e core book. One of Chris Allen's pet projects.
>>
>>48091066
Let me guess, their totem is Gifmalu Igizalag, isn't it?
>>
>>48084455
>>48088895
Chris has actually corrected me on this before: "Firstborn" are Father Wolf's First Born Children, not the same as the First Pack, who were the first Werewolves.
Although I think he said it's up in the air and wibbly wobbly and people today might view them as the same or whatever.
>>
>>48090266
There really aren't any. A lot of people need to have that explained to them over and over again, though.
>>
>>48091128
Eh, don't think so. It'd be a wolf-themed Idigam, and according to the Lodge it's sleeping under Gevaudan in France. (Famous for a historical wolf rampage).

I AM really curious about more of this Lodge. It'd be fun to see Chris say what their special hunting stuff includes.
>>
>>48090266
The only issues I've had are keeping track of conditions, and that my players seem to succeed on rolls a bit more often than I'd expect.
The last one may just be because I'm used to running DungeonWorld style games with a focus on "failing forward".
Also, jesus captcha, why are you so interested in store fronts all of a sudden?
>>
I've had this idea for a while. What if there was a mass game like the MUSHes or the Chats, except nobody actually had "their" character?

Instead, people would run for the position of being that character for a particular scene. The motivation to do a good job is that by convincing the player base that you're a good roleplayer, they're more likely to give you a shot in more important roles, like Prince.

In addition to this safeguard, the logs of the scene can be made public, and players could vote to canonize it after the fact. So if you really fuck up, not only can you be denied future opportunities to play the more interesting characters in the setting, but your actions can be undone outright.

This approach doesn't remove OOC politics, but embraces them, and behooves players to invest in the game itself (to gain favor from their peers) rather than in their characters.

How does /tg/ feel about this approach to a WoD game? Is it worth a shot? Has it been done before? If so, what were the outcomes?
>>
>>48091403
>It'd be a wolf-themed Idigam
So it might be Lul'Aya, The False Father, I guessed The Explorer at first because he's blob of metallic goo that meld flesh and essence together at random and creates horrible, horrible things from them and because...well...the Lodge has quicksilver in its name.
>>
>>48091440
I forgot to reiterate: you only control characters on a scene-by-scene basis. Once you're done in a particular scene, that's it. You lose control of the character after than ad have to "run' for it again, like it's an election.
>>
>>48091458
>The Lodge of Quicksilver Children is a cross-tribe fellowship of Forsaken scholars and historians who have been plagued by one particular question over the ages — if the Uratha are children of the spirits of Mother Wolf and Father Moon, why are they born of humanity? If their inheritance is from two spirit-gods, why are the Uratha themselves not spirits?
>The lodge finally believes it has pieced together the answer from scraps of lore about the Formless and the Coalesced. The startling conclusion of the Quicksilver Children is that the offspring of Wolf and Moon was, in fact, anidigam. Thatidigam— the true progenitor of the Uratha — coupled with a human sorcerer in a pact or ritual that remains a mystery to the lodge. From that union, Uratha were born with less of the Moon’s changing Essence roiling through their bones. They were truly half-human.
>The lodge believes it has pinpointed the location where this very idigam is slumbering. Unlike the other Formless, they believe this one was left unharmed because the Wolf refused to harm its own child. The Quicksilver Children have dispatched agents to Gevaudan in France.
>The Children intend to raise up their progenitor and study it. Some, though, plan to go even further. They want to petition theidigamto serve them as a totem, heralding a new era wherein the Forsaken can be unified under their true parent. Unsurprisingly, the Quicksilver Children are keeping quiet about their revelations for now.

They might've learned about both.
>>
>>48091440
>>48091471
I like it overall, but the elections could be a pain.
The voting process itself would take a lot of time out of the game, and any retconning/do-overs would take even longer.
Then there's the issue of checking for people doing fake accounts to give themselves votes.

It's not impossible, but it's got issues.
>>
>>48091440
>>48091471
It'll become a clique-ridden shitfest within a week. People will only let their friends play the characters that matter, and won't let other people do anything important with characters that don't. It's going to be very, very toxic.
>>
>>48091471
>>48091440
>What if we took all the biggest problems with MUSHes and made them even more convoluted?
That would really only work in a small group.

>>48090266
There aren't really "problems". There are a few things where they made bad choices (I agree with Touhou that Plans have a stupid roll) but those are so easy to ignore, handwave, or change that it's honestly not even worth mentioning. It's not really a game with glaring deadly problems for the most part, just things you and your group might prefer to do differently. The biggest problem is just that: A lot of it is written with the assumption that YOU as the ST will be the control valve. You don't want Mystery Cult Influence to be "Ten Merits worth of good stuff that's exactly what you want" and would prefer it was used to bolster Social Merits like Resources and Allies and give some Specialties? You're the ST, that's your decision.

For instance, combat. The book would prefer if you statted characters reasonably, but there's honestly nothing preventing you from taking more Athletics than is reasonable to have a super dodgy character, since it's the only skill that matters for Defense; my tweak:
Defense is [lower of Dexterity or Wits] + [lower of Athletics or Brawl].
"Parry" is a 1 dot merit that allows you to use Weaponry instead of Brawl if you've got a weapon.
Anything that says you lose your Defense (All Out, maneuvers, etcetera) only removes your Skill to Defense. If you've already lost your Skill, you lose the Attribute. (So you can All Out and use Bring The Pain)

It also helps if you start each round by going from lowest Initiative to highest and asking what people are going to do, then going highest to lowest and doing it.
>>
>>48091579
Yeah sock accounts would be one of my concerns. I'd have to find a way to weight votes. Maybe total word count of "accepted" scene posts = your vote count.

But I agree. That would be an issue. And the word count thing is just an idea.

>>48091635
Thing is, mass games like Fallcoast, Wanton Wicked, etc, are *already* super toxic. So the thing is, would this make it even more toxic? Or would having a system that acknowledges the OOC politics and shit while building it right into the system that dominant cliques can be supplanted at least alleviate the toxicity of those games... to an extent?

It's hard to tell. Would it be worth a shot, maybe two or three, to see if it works out?
>>
>>48091749
>I agree with Touhou that Plans have a stupid roll
What would you suggest?
>>
>>48091490
It's neither Gifmalu Igizalag nor Lul'Aya.

What's buried in Gevaudan might not even be an idigam, the Quicksilver Children just *think* it is.

FWIW, I run France as having an unusually high number of werewolves Changing in it for some surely unrelated reason.
>>
>>48088869
Anyone?
>>
>>48092212
Ah nuts, well at least it isn't the unpronounceable Idigam that eats ghosts and is violently allergic to yellow fever.
>>
>>48079390
>I have noticed that Aspel loves to "explain" her opinions as though they are facts.0
I've noticed that once you people realize a poster is me, you flip your shit and lose your Goddamned minds. Even when the poster isn't me, like >>48089516
I explain my opinions as though they're facts probably because you're mistaking the times I'm explaining my opinions for the times that I actually am explaining a fact to you.

>>48092088
Intelligence instead of Wits. Instead of Composure, a relevant Skill. Or, maybe just Intelligence+Presence(or Manipulation), since it's all about explaining to people what you need them to do. Really, I'd just rule of thumb it. Hell, different Skill for each part of the plan (think a Heist: "You seduce the guard" and "you break in through the air duct"). Make the planning more detailed. Teamwork rolls at every step of the way (Mastermind and Grifter work together on the seduction, Mastermind and Thief work on the break in, Mastermind and Hitter work on securing the area). Mostly just so that "Planner" is an archetype that encourages you to be good at a little of everything.

Then again, I think that Tactics should be folded into the basic rules already, and used Tactics as the basis for sailing and ship to ship combat when I was working on that pirate setting.

>>48092068
>would this make it even more toxic?
Yes. You don't really have anything to supplant the dominant cliques. I also feel that people are less likely to get interested in things if they round robin the characters, and have to keep up with every other scene those characters are in. And that's not even getting into how fucking schizophrenic the characters will end up feeling. Characters written by a single person are already subject to wild mood swings.
>>
>>48092365
Wait Aspel is a girl? Is she as fuckable as AMyV?
>>
>>48092212
Got any ideas for the special bonuses for the Quicksilver lodge?
>>
File: hell on earth.png (749 KB, 850x828) Image search: [Google]
hell on earth.png
749 KB, 850x828
>>48092377
>girl
More importantly:
>shitposting about namefags

wew lad wew lad wew lad wew lad wew lad
>>
>>48092212
>Gevaudan
For some reason just reading that makes me want to run a Werewolf game in France, so I can have the players learn about La Bete du Gevaudan
>>
>>48088935
>>48088954
>>48088979
>>48088990
>>48089026
No serious opinions? Would appreciate some actual feedback.
>>
File: aspel.png (66 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
aspel.png
66 KB, 200x200
>>48092365
>I explain my opinions as though they're facts
>>
>>48092455
Most people dislike Ascension, so they won't comment on it.
>>
>>48092421
I have a few vague ideas kicking round. Lodge Blessing is probably some sort of improvement to their shapeshifting. Sacred Hunt is likely either vs occultists and the like trying to hide information, or vs Earthbound idigam (probably tracking/predicting their activities). That's pre-digging-up whatever is buried at Gevaudan though.
>>
>>48092365
>Yes. You don't really have anything to supplant the dominant cliques. I also feel that people are less likely to get interested in things if they round robin the characters, and have to keep up with every other scene those characters are in. And that's not even getting into how fucking schizophrenic the characters will end up feeling. Characters written by a single person are already subject to wild mood swings.

Do you have any, like, basis for the claim that it would make it more toxic? Just curious.

Also, the option for newfags to just not vote for members of the dominant cliques is a means by which to supplant them.
>>
>>48092492
Ooh. that'd be amazing.
>>
File: 1461807124066.png (106 KB, 500x674) Image search: [Google]
1461807124066.png
106 KB, 500x674
>>48092496
>Also, the option for newfags to just not vote for members of the dominant cliques is a means by which to supplant them.
Five clique-people vote for one person in their clique, while the other six newbies split their votes among themselves in a manner they deem fair. What do you think happens?

If the newbies don't want to get shat on by the clique consistently, they'll have to form their own clique or join an existing one. Rinse and repeat with newer people.
>>
>>48092486
That's quite silly.
>>
>>48092561
Yeah but the option to form a new one is better than "this is the dominant clique, gg no re."

It's definitely imperfect. But it's better than autoloss.
>>
File: 1467393247145.png (27 KB, 215x203) Image search: [Google]
1467393247145.png
27 KB, 215x203
>>48092597
There will still be a dominant clique. Do you think newfags will be joining in convenient clique-sized piles? No, they'll be coming in one at a time. The cliques they make won't amount to shit. The oldest clique will still have the most members and the biggest advantage over the game, since not only do they get to permanently hog important characters, they also get to retcon events they don't like.

It would be incredibly toxic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdRhQ669s2c
Johnny Bravo is a Brujah, that is all.
>>
>>48092704
You know why I'm pretty sure you're just irrationally opposed to this? You're changing your tune.

The post I'm responding to now:
>Do you think newfags will be joining in convenient clique-sized piles? No, they'll be coming in one at a time. The cliques they make won't amount to shit. The oldest clique will still have the most members and the biggest advantage over the game, since not only do they get to permanently hog important characters, they also get to retcon events they don't like.

Your post before that:
>If the newbies don't want to get shat on by the clique consistently, they'll have to form their own clique or join an existing one. Rinse and repeat with newer people.

So the issue went from, there will always be a dominant clique, even if newbies supplant the old one, to newbies have no hope of supplanting the old one.

Which is it? You know what, don't bother answering, Aspel. You're not self-aware enough to reflect on this.
>>
File: Do The Monkey With Me.png (430 KB, 725x503) Image search: [Google]
Do The Monkey With Me.png
430 KB, 725x503
Did you know Johnny Bravo was in Exalted?
>>
>>48092747
He behaves more like a Toreador
>>
>>48092815
ok cool
/exg/ is over there >>48044570
>>
>>48092852
Know you're history brah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWKXvlt0do
>>
>>48092850
Toreador with Potence it is then.
>>
>>48092859
Still different games.
Also, they stopped making those connections.
>>
File: 1451852705713.jpg (13 KB, 196x178) Image search: [Google]
1451852705713.jpg
13 KB, 196x178
>>48092800
>So the issue went from, there will always be a dominant clique, even if newbies supplant the old one, to newbies have no hope of supplanting the old one.
Are you retarded? The issue is that this idea is shit. "Embracing OOC politics" doesn't solve the problem of toxicity and OOC being the prevalent factor in running the roleplaying game, it just makes it so that people don't have to hide it.

Is that really so hard to grasp? Are you even a human being?
>>
>>48092496
Because "everyone votes for the clique" is literally one of the biggest problems with democracy to begin with? In fact, your whole thing encourages voting blocks to form and means that groups that are more established are more likely to have power and be harder to unseat.

And this is all assuming that anyone is even interested enough in the incredible commitment that it would take in the first place. Hell, cliques are most likely to get newbies to join them.

>>48092800
>Which is it? You know what, don't bother answering, Aspel. You're not self-aware enough to reflect on this.
That's not even fucking me you slack jawed moron. Even then, those two posts aren't even mutually exclusive. They're both saying the same thing. New players will need to form cliques, but they're not going to be able to do that by themselves; they'll either have to stick around (getting shat on) or join up with the bigger groups. Then when they get too big and drama filled, the cliques will just break off into other cliques until they fuse back together.

Also, >>48092913 is right. You're literally trying to focus on the most toxic elements and make them more prevalent as a way to detox the game. And, again, this is ON TOP OF the fact that the set up is already time consuming and most people aren't going to want to bother. Reading 10,000 words about a character I didn't play and a scene I wasn't part of just to keep up with the character I like's story is not something I care to do. Especially not when half the time she's played by someone I can't stand

There are so many problems with this idea that "cliques will form" is barely even worth mentioning.

>>48092469
I'm so sorry that you can't read.
What I'm saying is that those things that you think are opinions generally are actual facts. The ones that are opinions are only treated as fact if you're unable to distinguish the two... which I suppose you are.
>>
There we go, just posted up the first session of my new Werewolf Chronicle, The Eater of Names, set in Hong Kong. The podcast is here:

http://shoutengine.com/InSanityWeTrustProductions/werewolf-the-forsaken-actual-play-the-eater-of-nam-21156

There's a thread on the OP forums where I'll be posting up stuff like the setting info I gave the players, etc.
>>
>>48093466
All those Idigam that sounded like they would be in Paris, and his new game is in Hong Kong?
>>
>>48093598
Unfortunately the Paris game came to a halt due to losing two of the players to real life stuff. Rather than restart it once we'd acquired two new players, I preferred to start something fresh.

I do need to now cook up an appropriate idigam for Hong Kong and Macau. I'm tempted to have two rival idigam, one in each city, bickering with each other in an incredibly petty way that just so happens to result in mind-bending, Geiger-esque horror for hapless pawns in their struggle.
>>
>>48094160
As long as you do a cool write up for them so we can see more good Idigam examples!

Though, I guess having them somewhere public would be bad for a game in progress.
>>
>>48094160
Too bad that happens too often.
Could you tell us ideas about what you intended to do with the High Cromlech? Now that he's relegated to the past, so to speak.
>>
>>48092088

Intelligence+Relevant skill to what is being planned. Intelligence is the Attribute that you use for Mental situations where you have plenty of time to think. Having it be Wits by default as opposed to when you need to make a plan on the fly doesn't make much sense.

I've noticed that a lot of CofD designers tend to lean way too much on the Finesse set of Attributes when doing mechanics. Might just be faulty pattern recognition, though.
>>
>>48094532

No, that's definitely true. For some splats it makes sense (Demon runs on Finesse as a design tenet), but the Finesse attributes are defined really badly, so they end up in places where they don't belong, and a lot of the time end up acting as pseudo-Power and a pseudo-Resistance attribute on top of their default duties.
>>
>>48094160
Hey Chris do you mind if I us the High Cromlech from your Paris chronicle? It is nearly identical to an Idigam I have in my current chronicle.
>>
>>48094662
>Demon runs on Finesse as a design tenet
What are the benefits of such a design choice?
>>
>>48094871

Gamefeel. The whole game is about being spies; you run on Dexterity, Manipulation, and Wits as a point of theme.

Granted, Demon should have held players' hands on that point a little more, maybe granting them 2 dots of Finesse attributes the way Mages get a dot of Resistance attributes, but the general idea is fine.
>>
>>48094871
Doesn't every line have a set of stats they lean on?

Like, I thought Prommies were resistance heavy?

Design-wise, it would probably focus the creation of powers which would limit accidentally making some builds require scatterbrained attribute-sets.
>>
>>48094933
>2 dots of Finesse attributes
Jesus no.
Though "One dot of Attributes based on your Incarnation" would have been nice.
Or, really, anything that made Incarnation mean something besides what powers you get when you do the thing you should never ever do.
>>
>>48094953
>Doesn't every line have a set of stats they lean on?

Sort of.
Vampires were social, Werewolves physical and Mages mental. After that they moved it to a horizontal band instead.
>>
Where the hell do I find Psychopomp's portraits for my demon?
>>
>>48095005
Doesn't the rulebook say you can 'let your hair down' under certain circumstances? But even then, it's not something you'd want to do in uncontrolled circumstances.
I wonder, what's the point of going into true form if it just brings the entire world and carnage down on you anyway?
>>
>>48094160
Could you post the backlog of the Paris sessions? Very interested in a number of plotlines that were left hanging. Whatever happened to the High Cromlech?
>>
>>48094953
Prommies were power heavy, Hunters were resistance heavy.
>>
>>48095215
Desperate circumstances.

If a nuke is about to go off, who cares if you unleash the armies of hell. At least while Going Loud you have a chance of stopping both, instead of no chance of stopping either.
>>
>>48095294
Ah yeah, of course. Never played a WoD game in spite of really wanting to.
I just never really understood Demon I guess, it seems you're limited to a normal human body with a fantastic poker face unless you're in dire straits.
>>
>>48095388
Yeah. It is a great concept, but hard to run in a game.

That is a good summary. You are usually just an amazing liar with some CRAZY subtle powers (like, a rather common one is to just mark someone unimportant for death. You can't speed it up, but in the next few days, they will kick the bucket in some way).

But in comparison to like Werewolves or Vamps, Unchained are either quieter/weaker (I don't want to say weaker, because the rules make it hard to tell how easy it is to resist some of the subtle demon powers), but they have the option of going out of control just because they want to.

I like to think of the game as Oceans 11.

Demons are approached with a need to do X (usually to the god-machine).
Demons plan to do X, all the while afraid maybe Y will happen.
Demons get in to do X, using their crazy unique skills.
Oops Y happened. The original plan to do X is falling apart!
Better turn to plan Z, which will lead to an insane finale before we manage to do X anyway.
>>
>>48095500
Admittedly, I haven't really seen the powers. Sounds like a fun, albeit rough outline though. Though I guess the powerranking of demons depends on if they're loud or in cover, as it seems to swing a lot in that manner.
But oh well, I'll just hope to get to play any WoD game in the future, unlikely as it is.
>>
Where's the best place to find players for Hunter, the game finder threads, roll20, or somewhere else? I'm kicking around an idea for a hunter game but I'd hate flakes. Plus I've never run a world of darkness game.
>>
>>48095798
Tolerant friends.
>>
>>48094228
Eh, I put the Paris ones up in the thread on the forums when the game was still running; I just tell my players not to look at it :) I'll put up whatever Hong Kong ones/Macau I do there too.

>>48094260
Well there's still a chance the Paris game will see a comeback if I'm able to get the missing players back together again for future runs. However, yes. So. The High Cromlech had a few different possibilities. Its rough life-cycle if just left to get on with it was going to be rising to the surface and turning itself inside-out, forcing its mausoleum-city onto Paris to turn the capital into an overt realm of death. This would probably have killed most of the population of France to power its metamorphosis, followed by a period of time as a horrific charnel cemetary-scape before emerging from its chrysalis as Peace.

The chances of it being left to do that were, of course, gonna be nil unless the player characters made some really odd decisions. I expected the PC pack to get more embroiled when it started stealing bits of the city and turning them into closed-off Other City areas of lifelessness that regular mortals wouldn't notice but the werewolves would see clear as day. They would have had chances to try and turn its path towards merging with and reinforcing the concepts of serenity in death or the like *without* wiping a major country off the face of the earth, or just plain old killing it (which would have some really weird effects on death symbolism and practices, especially in Europe).

It was also probably going to try and subvert the Lou Carcohl, a behemoth horror under Paris that was shaping up as an early major threat, and turn the vast monster into a grotesque network of vampiric roots physically threading through the substrate of Paris. That would have opened some lovely body horror possibilities.

Then there was the likely showdown between it and the Chancel, a group of 'liches' harvesting their own alternate selves from diverging universes.
>>
>>48094678
Go right ahead.

>>48095250
If this shoutengine site works out, I may look at trying to get them uploaded at some point.

The High Cromlech was remaining in the background still at the point we finished off at; the Operator was busy getting its claws into the pack, and they'd figured out it had some sort of animosity with the High Cromlech, but that was all.

They were more busy trying to deal with a ginormous carnivorous doom-snail as their main priority, the Bone Shadow heresy that used scrapings of its slime for psychoactive drugs, and the cannibal cults they were creating in turn.
>>
So I finally started watching the show Supernatural and I got to wondering with how much Sam, Dean, and Bobby know about the supernatural what you guys put their dots in occult at?
>>
So, I'm reading the SAS Rose-Red Plight, and it seems to imply that if the Winter court doesn't relinquish power when the next season comes along, the True Fae would take notice and invade.

Does that mean there is some kind of contract that requires the different courts to give up their power with the seasons? If so, wouldn't that mean the courts have to set those up in every city they go to, since some cities don't have season courts but like, night/day or other weird options?
>>
>>48096509
Basically maxed out for plot reasons, although I'm not so sure if you consider they always do research on everything.
>>
>>48095194
Literally any picture of a person will work for a Psychopomp, or any other Demon, because they could be literally anybody.
>>
>>48095032

Yeah, I believe the pattern was:

Vampire - Social
Werewolf - Physical
Mage - Mental
Promethean - Resistance
Changeling - Finesse
Hunter - Power

Things get really really sketchy after Mage, so those don't really track all that well, then Geist kind of does whatever, Mummy starts the trend of playing around with the basic system tenets, Demon goes for a more focused Finesse design, Beast (I believe) is a more focused Power design, and who knows how things will be approached with Deviant.
>>
>>48097209
>Yeah, I believe the pattern was:
Isn't more or less all of this completely bullshit? Almost everything except Protean and the three Physical Disciplines is a Mind Control effect for Vampires. Mages are just as Social as Vampires, and especially with 2e they're not really worried about their Mental Stats as much as their Gnosis and Arcana. Prometheans don't have any major focus on their Resistance stats (and only the Tammuz get any sort of bonus to that). Changelings aren't overly reliant on Finesse either, with many Contracts ignoring Attributes altogether and they don't have any sort of Manipulation, Dexterity, or Wits traits that are inherent to the template. At best they get bonuses or penalties to Wits based on Kenning, and maybe Manipulation gets used a lot. Hunter has basically no focus on Power at all. They get no inherent bonuses to it, and it isn't even the thing they need the most of. I don't care to look through the Endowments, but I'm pretty sure Strength and Presence aren't used for many of them, and Intelligence is barely used for anything. The closest to being on the money is Werewolf, but really that's just because they're fucking murder machines and that's about it.

Demon is intentionally meant to be based around Finesse Attributes, with Compromises being based around them and the basic powers (Embeds) using Finesse Attributes (and Exploits and often Interlocks will use Power).
>>
>>48097674

It's a very, very early idea for 1e's mechanic design that as we have seen, didn't really take. It's been mentioned before.
>>
>>48096685
That could be said for literally any of the splats, though, m8
>>
>>48095681
One of their powers is "pull literally anything you own out from your pocket, so long as it's conceivable that you already had it in your pocket."
>>
>>48098110
Yeah, but there aren't really any traits that would make a Psychopomp stand out as a psychopomp.

See a normal looking dude, but he's got fangs? Bam, vampire.

That chick with horns? Changeling, demon, spirit-ridden.

Mechanical man with a minigun for an arm? Demon of the Destroyer incarnation.

But what the fuck would make you go "Ah. it's a Psychopomp"?
>>
>>48084455
He didn't keep them separated, necessarily. He stopped either from imposing heavily on the other, which mostly meant ensuring hunger spirits weren't crossing to drive humans to starvation and that the wise(mages) weren't crossing to torch entire courts of spirits for being inconvenient or annoying.
>>
>>48098454
A psychopomp would have parts used for construction and dealing with the more "ephemeral" bits of making infrastructure. A massive crane on its back for lifting heavy beams, metal spurs to afford it a better ability to maneuver and climb around construction sites, et cetera.
>>
So, anybody else get some Deviant vibes from the end of Inside?
>>
Are there any major benefits to a high Primal Urge other than what is mentioned in the Primal Urge Levels table? Gifts don't include it for rolls and the RP limitations of Basu-Im, Feeding Restrictions and Hunt time don't seem to be worth the meager bonuses that kick in at PU4+
>>
What do you guys think the five core splats of Deviant will be? Tech, biological, magic, ???, ???, or something different?
>>
>>48100338
Tech and Biological make sense (Deus Ex style rejecting trans-humanism self loathing/PTSD) and Biological too (Prototype/Thing style body horror) Considering its supposed to be about experiments gone horribly wrong I am not sure magic would fit. I think it will be split into 5 archtypes and then 5 creations. So for example say your type is Hulk Big burly (in)human wrecking machines. And then their creation will be different. Perhaps his body was horribly mutated through genetic experiments or a construction worker who, after suffering a work related incident gets turned into a piece of machinery.
>>
Who's played Changeling: The Lost here? How did it go?
>>
>>48100338
Cybernetic, Biological, Spirit, Ghost, Alien
>>
>>48100338
Akira and Sens8 are inspirations, so there will probably be some kind of psychic archetype.
>>
>>48100593
>Alien
ALL OF MY WANT
Seriously, it's a major spoopy genre that's only barely been used. CofD has some stuff you can do to emulate or toy around with it using Mage, Werewolf, or Changeling, but none of them are "proper" ayylmaos
>>
>>48100622
Didn't they address that at some point as being a purposeful omission? Everything CofD is Earth/Humanity-centric.
>>
>>48100645
It focuses on humans, sure, but there's nothing which says you can't do a very human focused game which focuses on Aliens.

Consider X-files as an example.

Everything's aliens, but there's no bullshit about Alien Empires or anything. It's all questionable, and easily dismissible as terrestrial phenomena.
>>
>>48100482
Magical experiments are a thing, anon.
>>
>>48100593
How would you separate Spirit and Ghost for the purpose of experiments? What would each be? (also i removed my Name because that was an accident)
>>
>>48100773
that went HORRIBLY
>>
>>48100773
Same way you separate Spirits and Ghosts normally.

Spirits are Animist and related to the world, it's more like you're seeing a reflection of the world showing how it is. Think more "drugs and runes carved into flesh".

Ghosts would be more dead. Think "trapped halfway between life and death". Not like a Vampire, which is a Corpse, or a Sin-Eater, who are alive with a Ghost riding along, but somewhere between the two.
>>
>>48100773
Spirits give you Claimed, which can range from "control over fire" to "now I'm part scorpion".

Ghost abilities are more like "seeing visions from the past and hearing the whispers of the dead" and "not entirely alive but clearly not dead"
>>
File: Z8wbp.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Z8wbp.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>48098110
Not really. A lot of splats trend towards certain looks. I mean, look at the cover of The Pack. Or any of the 1e Werewolf books.

>>48100722
>there's no bullshit about Alien Empires or anything.
Wasn't that literally the plot to the jump the shark shit and the movie?

>>48100482
>Considering its supposed to be about experiments gone horribly wrong I am not sure magic would fit
https://youtu.be/bvpJjbphJWQ
>>
>>48100742
>>48100902
I stand corrected.
>>
>>48100872
Ghosts can Claim. In fact, the Storm Lords consider Sin-eaters to be Claimed by the Dead. Ghosts can also do things like control fire.

>>48100593
>>48100773
>>48100861
I don't really see any reason why they would be separate. It's still using ephemeral sources.
>>
>>48100923
I guess it's really more a matter of flavor more than mechanics.
>>
>>48100923
>I don't really see any reason why they would be separate
What, bar the wildly different themes and (generally) purviews of each?
>>
>>48101200
They're not really wildly different. Hell, the Ulgan are already both. That's why they're sometimes called Orpheans.
>>
>>48101306
That's a singular Promethean lineage.
>>
How old a vampire must be to leave no trace (vitae, body, etc...) but ashes when he meets Final Death?
>>
>>48101343
And we're talking about something that would be a singular Deviant type.
>>
Astral projection powers (like vampire and second sight, not the Mage/Beast Astral Plane) say literally nothing can affect your projected image.

Is that true?
>>
>>48102589
What?

You're in a mental plane of existence, not the Twilight that Ghosts and Spirits reside in. If for some reason a Morphean or other astrally projecting person is around, they can affect you. I believe that mental powers also can.
>>
How do younger vamps deal with older vampire dominate/majesty powers?
>>
>>48102793

1) Swing first, if you can.
2) Avoid them, if you can.
3) You don't.
>>
>>48102793
Wait for them to have to torpor and then stake a cunt
>>
in oWoD, Toreadors hate the destruction of any art even if it's outside of Elysium and modern-art garbage, right?
>>
>>48101419
Probably older than 100 or 200 years

>>48102793
>Dominate
Avoid having conversations with a nigga if you plan on wasting his ass
>Majesty
Avoid being in the same room as a nigga if you plan on wasting his ass
>>
>>48105175
No, they destroy art all the time. Part of being a temperamental shitter is trashing the things rivals enjoy.

Tories probably destroy more art than any other Clan.
>>
>>48105210
Depends on the Toreador of course, but yeah. They're fickle bitches.

But someone who really cares for art preservation as a Toreador would care REALLY deeply, or at least pretend to.
>>
>>48095844
It's sad that I had to think for a second if that was a hint at a website or something.
>>
What's with Cathayans? Do they covet the Camarilla's lands and wealth? Can they be stopped?

Are they cute?
>>
>>48105789
>are they cute
Depends. Do you have Yellow Fever?
>>
>>48105856
No, just Fugue from a bad methuselah we ate in Mexico.
>>
>>48096685
Actually, the manual says that they are the less humanoid of all the incarnations, so I guess he can't find inhuman masses of metal of his liking. I don't pity him
>>
>>48092275
God, learn to fucking Google

"werewolf the apocalypse" PDF
http://darkhorserunning.net/ferret/Werewolf_-_Apocalypse_-_The_Apocalypse_(3%C2%AA_Edition).pdf

http://www.4shared.com/rar/k86R7pOi/wta-20th_anniversary_edition.html?locale=en
>>
Guys, I need some help statting out a custom weapon my ST let me commission a welder to make (game is VtM using V20 rules).

So, my idea is to have a crossbow using the leaf spring from a car suspension for the bow. The one I purchased was only (lol) 1500 lbs, so I'm assuming that means 1500 lbs of draw weight. I'm going to be using a crank to draw it back, but I'm not that sure on how much strength I'd need to draw back how many inches. I can achieve 6 str but as per normal I have 3. 7-8 inches it the normal draw length of a crossbow, so, assuming 8 inches, that would be about 12000 inch-pounds of force. I'm going to be using custom made rebar bolts (superheated with a car battery like the crossbow in half-life 2) so I'm pretty sure they could take the strain and not explode (to be fair, my character did spend a month planning this design and I made enough rolls with my crafts and technology for planning it that my ST said would be sufficient).

Here's the problem, though. I have no idea how much damage dice this thing should do and how much Armor Piercing it should have. Just going purely by the 1500 pounds of draw, that requires 10 dots in str to lift so I was assuming it'd do 10 dice of damage, but then I looked into how bows actually work and the 1500 draw weight x 8 inches draw length = 12000 which is far higher than even 15 dots in str. I wasn't trying to make the most absolutely ridiculous weapon in the world, just a good SHTF thing to hold onto because my gangrel is a bit of a doomsday prepper.

Do any of you guys have ideas on reasonable statistics for a weapon like this (assuming it works)? I know the recoil is going to be insane, which is why I put a bipod on it and will never fire the thing standing up. Should I just downscale it from 1500 pounds to make it more reasonable (could probably carry it around too if I replace the battery with a motorcycle one)? I'm just having some trouble with the actual game mechanics on how it should work in combat.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (7 KB, 300x151) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
7 KB, 300x151
So in the not so distant future I will have a Vampire game for some newbies. I plan to actually have them start as revenants with a similar setup to the old VtR 1e demo (Dance de la Morte, I believe), so essentially have them wake up as vampires/revenants and not knowing what to do until they are picked up by the local Kindred society.

I am considering setting it in Miami, but I am not sure what the local politics should look like. I am either considering a pretty wild Cronie country with other covenants only tolerated or a post-covenant-war situation in which a Dragon Prince is the peacekeeper and "least hated candidate" since the Order was mostly neutral in the fighting.

What does /tg/ think?
>>
After playing bloodlines for 7 hours straight yesterday i'm REALLY in the mood to run some VtM but my friends are reluctant of dice pool systems because they never have the amount of dice they need

I'm fairly new to this myself so I'm not quite sure what to tell them - what's the maximum dice pool you can use in this (that isn't an absolutely extreme case, i mean the most you use normally)
>>
>>48108116
It depends on the bonuses you're stacking and all kinds of shit. The most I've ever seen is in the high teens/early 20s range, but that's with maxed stats, bonus stacking and blood buffing.

Normally, I'd say anywhere from 4 to 10, depending on how min-max crazy your players are.
>>
>>48108116
>>48108193
if worse comes to worse just re roll dice or borrow someone elses
>>
>>48096573
>>48096573
The courts exchange power every now and then because sharing power anthama to the True Fae. They just can't understand giving up control and power so they block it out. Once someone has created a dictatorship in a city, that is something they can understand and react to.
>>
>>48108239
Yeah, I only have about 10 myself and I just reroll what's necessary after counting success with someone else verifying for me.
>>
>>48108116
Start to mid game? 10-15 seems to be the max you can expect.

End game... Well. Have a Blood Potency 8 vampire in my game, while in Frenzy, and blowing a ton of blood on Physical Intensity... He reached 39 dice, before subtracting defence.
>>
File: afraid.png (27 KB, 225x358) Image search: [Google]
afraid.png
27 KB, 225x358
>>48108675
>He reached 39 dice, before subtracting defence.
>>
File: 1467071446821.png (173 KB, 867x664) Image search: [Google]
1467071446821.png
173 KB, 867x664
Why would you ever take a skill/attribute over your relevant power stat?
>>
>>48108724

Because Willpower is a better resource than everyone gives it credit for.
>>
>>48108782
You can't take Willpower in CofD, baka senpai.
>>
>>48108825
>What goes into Willpower, baka kouhai?
>>
File: 1465337051135.png (145 KB, 702x397) Image search: [Google]
1465337051135.png
145 KB, 702x397
>>48108890
But that's a lot of experience. Are you sure that's a good idea?
>>
>>48108952
When I need to spend a point of Willpower, or need to resist something that doesn't factor in the Supernatural Tolerance stat, I'll be happy with my choice.
>>
>>48098110
Demons are the splat most likely to not have any traits that stand out though.

>>48106478
I'm pretty sure that's referring to their Demonic Forms. Their Covers? Still just as human as anybody else, because that's literally the point of the splat.
>>
>>48108825
It couldn't have been oWoD, every character my friends made had 10 wp at the start.
>>
File: 1460939999306.jpg (17 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1460939999306.jpg
17 KB, 348x342
>>48109049
That's a really niche situation to heavily invest into, I think. Are you sure you're not giving me bad advice, senpai?
>>
>>48109085
It's not a niche situation at all. Are you sure you know the game you're talking about?
>>
I have a hard time imagining a modern VtM campaign that doesn't involve the 90s-to-early-00s vibe inherent to edgy vampires and i want something more serious to it

help me out, please
>>
>>48109302
Play Requiem.
>>
>>48107399
Mechanically, it's basically a canon that uses hot metal rods instead of large metal balls. You could change the majority of the base damage into armor piercing, as it would have a cauterizing effect and could easily plug whatever wound it caused.

>Should I just downscale it from 1500 pounds to make it more reasonable
Yes. As-is that's not so much a sniping weapon as it is an anti-tank weapon. Alternative sniping weapons use smaller rounds with less risk of flying off course and can be fired without a long reload that requires "fuck you" levels of strength.
>>
>>48109085

Resolve, Composure, and Wits are the most commonly rolled Attributes in both printed mechanics and improvised dice pool combos. Fuel is almost never scarce or used enough in powers to make increasing Supernatural Advantage an imperative, and all the powers in the world don't mean shit without a solid base dice pool block, because SA being a part of the roll is not always a given.

It's more important for a CofD character to take up a sport/learning the trapeze or looking for things than jacking up SA.
>>
>>48107528
Post-war sounds like your best bet, as it would give some freedom of choice to the group regarding factions.
>>
>>48109507
I only picked 1500 because it was the smallest I found after on the first page after googling "truck leaf spring". What would be a more "reasonable" poundage for a kind of crossbow sniper rifle? If I use like a 500 pound trailer leaf spring instead, with an 8 inch draw that'd be 4000 inch-pounds of force. I think it would be reasonable to assume a person with 3 dots in strength could cock the thing with a repurposed ratchet from a ratchet strap or a homemade mechanism of some kind; and if I change the battery from a 40ish pound car battery to an 10ish pound motorcycle one, it could be more easily carried around and set up, too (not to mention won't need to use my jeep's winch to cock the thing).

But I still have the problem of how do I figure out how much damage it does. If I go by the raw poundage, you need str 13 to lift 4000 pounds. So would that mean it would have 13 dice of damage? Would the heated bolts add extra damage/ap or simply make it aggravated?
>You could change the majority of the base damage into armor piercing
Do you mean take the 13 dice and divide it among AP and actual damage?
>>
>>48109085
In addition to what has been said, Resolve and Composure also tie into some pretty vital dice pools that are often very low otherwise (so every extra die that you do have is worth a lot), for instance Breaking Points for mortals, Frenzy and Death Rage.

More Willpower, when used well, also has a multiplicating effect. Not only do you start with more you can potentially also refresh more from your Virtue or equivalent.
>>
>>48109861
>What would be a more "reasonable" poundage for a kind of crossbow sniper rifle?
I don't actually know. /k/ might, and there's always google, but such a specific piece of info is generally a pain in the ass to find.

>Would the heated bolts add extra damage/ap or simply make it aggravated?
I'd houserule it as agg for Kindred enemies and extra damage for mortals.

>Do you mean take the 13 dice and divide it among AP and actual damage?
Pretty much. I'm not very familiar with Masquerade rules though. I just know that:
1) rebar is fairly heavy
2) it isn't particularly aerodynamic
3) assuming you hit the target, all that force is concentrated into an area equal to the bar's diameter, which would give you a strong piercing effect
4) hitting a hard/solid/strong enough target could cause the rebar to shatter into scalding hot shrapnel
>>
>>48110122
My main reason for asking here is that the question is less about if it can be made but how it can be translated into WoD. I know it can be made as there are plenty of videos and how-to's by people who've done it I'm just upscaling their designs because I'm actually going to use it to murder people.

I did pay the guy who fabricated the whole thing to also construct prototype rebar bolts/quarrels with varying kinds of fletching that I plan on testing and figuring out the best way to make the rebar stabilize in the air. Basically, I'm not firing just plain old lengths of rebar, they've been shaped and whatnot (still I'm sure there will be a penalty but I can eat that with enough rounds of aiming and ambush dice).

So back to game mechanics: if I scale the crossbow down to a 500 lb trailer leaf spring with a ratchet cocking mechanism (repurposed from a 4" heavy duty ratchet strap for ease of not creating a whole new mechanism: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/4-Inch-Heavy-Duty-BlackLine-Ratchet-Straps), a range of 8-12 inches of draw meaning a range of 4000 to 6000 inch-pounds of force depending on how far it is drawn (stopped at 12 because the rachet mechanism is rated for 6,670 lbs and, while that may largely be due to the nylon strap that won't be used in the actual weapon, taking no chances on this thing exploding in my face), then that would give it a either 8 dice of damage with 5 AP or 10 dice of damage with 5 AP depending on how far it's drawn. For game mechanics, maybe it would be an action to draw it to 8 inches and another to draw it to 12.
>>
>>48108952
It's 4 Experiences. Power Stat is 5.

>>48109085
Willpower is one of the best things you can have. Have a shit dice pool? Boom, now it's +3 and you have a decent chance.
>>
I figure there are some folks here who would be interested in these - a couple of new rites for my Hong Kong werewolf game, but they're more broadly applicable than that (I'll have some more setting-specific ones down the line for the Five Great Packs etc). These're up with proper formatting on the thread on the OP forums:

Vex (Wolf Rite ●)
This petty curse calls upon spirits of misfortune and malevolence to plague whoever has drawn the werewolf's ire.
Symbols: Fire, venom, violence, the skill that is to be targeted.
Cost: 1 Essence
Action: Extended (5 successes; each roll represents 1 minute); resisted by the target's Composure.
Duration: 1 month
Success: The Essence used to fuel this rite must come from a locus of hatred, pain, despair or decay. Additionally, the ritemaster must have a possession of the target, a nail clipping, a lock of hair or some other bodily substance from the intended victim. The ritemaster selects a single skill that will be cursed; thereafter, the first time the victim uses that skill in the following month, her result becomes a dramatic failure regardless of what she rolls. The ritemaster immediately knows when this happens. A character may only be the subject of a single vex at a time, and cannot be subjected again until the rite's month of duration has passed.
>>
Drain the Well (Pack Rite ●●●)
This rite uses a locus to draw in its Resonance from the surrounding area, draining the Shadow of Essence attuned to its nature. Paradoxically, this ensures the locus surges deep with Essence of that kind; if left untended, it will wash back out again stronger than before.
Symbols: Water, pain, piercing or draining, the Resonance type.
Action: Extended (20 successes; each roll represents 10 minutes)
Duration: 1 month
Success: The rite must be performed at the site of a locus, draining Resonance into it. This has several effects: spirits and Uratha within 100 yards per dot of the rating of the Locus, or within the entire territory (whichever is larger), take the locus's rating as a penalty to all rolls for Influences that match its Resonance when outside its direct area. The Resonance is reduced in general, removing many incidents of the Resonant Condition across the affected region; draining a locus of pain would cause injuries and aches to inflict less pain, humans and animals will recover faster from harm and may simply not notice minor damage. This will have long-term effects on the Shadow and the material world.
The ritemaster gains a persistent Ban Condition for the duration of the rite's effect, reflecting the Resonance of the locus; this Condition lifts when the rite ends. If the ritemaster ever violates the ban, the effects of the rite immediately end. If ended via ban violation, or if this rite is not performed on the locus again within a week of its duration ending, the locus becomes empowered for one month as if it were the subject of the Wellspring rite.
>>
>>48112230
Well, well, well.
>>
We should make a Proximus Dynasty based on the Power Rangers for the Arrow.

Which Arcana combination works best for the Morphing Grid?
>>
So I'm not missing anything, there's really only one Legacy statted out in 2nd ed Awakening so far?
>>
>>48114234
Yep, the rest will be in devblog supplements
>>
>>48108690
Yeah. There is a Kerberos (Bloodline) in the coterie as well, but he is just BP 5, so he's a lot weaker. Right now.
>>
>>48114234
2, actually.
The Nagaraja are statted out in Dark Eras.
>>
Is there an upper limit to Cain's powers or is he just god-lite?
>>
Building a character background. Do you guys think this is happen-able in WoD setting? What step is most improbable?

1. Vampire A Embraces B, a devout Catholic.
2. B loathes being a vampire, damned by God who feeds on human/drinking blood
3. B confesses it to Father C, saying he wishes to be dead.
4. C mercy-kills B, since suicide is a sin to them.
5. A finds out about this; turns out he really liked his late Childe, and plots to put C down.
6. Rumor begins to spread among the believers that C is a child-raping pedophile murderer, etc. Strange things starts to happen around C.

Well, any thoughts?
>>
File: Bard rolls low in Bluff.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Bard rolls low in Bluff.gif
2 MB, 500x281
Is there any alternative to the Subnet, which went down a few weeks ago?
>>
File: That Guy.jpg (73 KB, 500x663) Image search: [Google]
That Guy.jpg
73 KB, 500x663
>>48114862
Actually, I found a sheet for him.
>>
>>48115067
>tfw you edited the * into a U
Every time I see people link my version makes me go :3
>>
>>48114878
The only improbable part would by Father C believing that Vampire B is a vampire. He'd have to prove it, and then actually find a way to goad Father C into killing him. Otherwise it looks fine.
>>
>>48114878
Probably step 4. Killing another isn't exactly a sinless act.
>>
>>48115067
t-thanks
>>
File: It's high noon.jpg (35 KB, 739x424) Image search: [Google]
It's high noon.jpg
35 KB, 739x424
>>48115145
I think the fangs and dead look would be enough to convince a holy man.
>>
>>48115152
Well, my thought was "I'll rather dirt my hands with sin than you poor soul." kind of thing.
>>
>>48115152
>>48115349
I was thinking that, but then I figure "it's not murder if they're already dead"
>>
>>48092377
Aspel is a trans whalebeast.
>>
>>48116472
Aspel is a sentient computer program designed to annoy the thread
>>
File: system shock.png (634 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
system shock.png
634 KB, 1024x576
When it comes to running games how tolerated are non chronicle related games? (i.e. home brew using the system in the books.)

I've always been fascinated by the blending of supernatural horror and sci-fi in general such as having special implants that allow you to see psychic eminations and shit like that.

Would people be open to that or are you expected to use the books to run Vampire/Werewolf/Mage/[whatever else comes with nWoD]
>>
>>48116996
I suggest looking into Demon the Descent
It doesn't have implants, as a default thing, but it is very much a mix of supernatural horror and sci-fi, and implant-type things could easily be done as Gadgets.
>>
>>48116996
The existence of Infinite Macabre suggests that people would be open to it.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87937/Mirrors-Infinite-Macabre
>>
>>48117070

I'm aware of the Deus machina thing going on with the new Demons book but basically what I'm going for is Cowboy Bebop meets system shock, regardless that doesn't mean I wouldn't look through the books for ideas and what not.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.