[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stat This Dragon Ball
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 4679669-2347635180-23792.jpg (48 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
4679669-2347635180-23792.jpg
48 KB, 425x319
Help me build this, /tg/
I want to make a character like Tien from Dragon Ball in the sense that I want a character who focuses on hand-to-hand or martial combat, but also has a very powerful energy attack that he can use on occasion.
My friend insist on using Pathfinder so that's what I'm limited to.
What stats and more importantly class/race would you use to make a character who can do this sort of thing?
Also if you can think of a system that could do it better, let me know. I probably won't be able to use it, but I'd like to look into it.
>>
>>48077730
Monk seems like the obvious choice, right? But it doesn't really offer powerful ki attacks like Tien's Dodon Ray. Maybe there's a better subclass of Monk?
>>
>>48077730
Qinqong monk will do it. Just be aware that you're playing one of the lowest tier characters possible.
>>
>>48078258
I am? How is that?
>>
>>48077730
You can't forget his ability to break the laws of physics.
>>
>>48079057

HE CAN TURN TRIANGLES INTO SQUARES!

ADVANCED GEOMETRY!
>>
>>48079197
I would love to use the Dodon beam desu
>>
>>48077730
Yamcha would obliterate any 20th level character in PF, Ten any 20th level group. Try something less op for the system
>>
>>48079023
Monk is Uber shit in any D&D and clone that isn't 4e, even more shit in PF. Literally will have better results with any other class ever.
>>
>>48081086
What makes a high level monk shit compared to a high level fighter?
>>
>>48081060
Not DBZ
Just DB
I don't think people got too overpowered until DBZ
>>
>>48081174
Roshi blew up the fucking moon, man.
>>
>>48081174
In the battle against Tien, Goku moves faster then the speed of light to grab a pair of sunglasses.

They destroy aircraft carriers.

They're overpowered level 20+ characters.
>>
File: thats whats up my nigga.gif (628 KB, 245x242) Image search: [Google]
thats whats up my nigga.gif
628 KB, 245x242
>>48081060
Go to bed Yamcha
>>
>>48081174
In OG Dragon Ball, Master Roshi could launch a Kamehameha that could destroy a mountain or cause a tsunami with a full round action.

It's ridiculous, and no twentieth level fighter can take him on.
>>
>>48081152
To hit, HPs, AC, more expensive magic items for monk than for fighter
>>
>>48081227
>>48081232
>>48081278
But Jamcha was already massively outclassed by every other character that wasn't a shape-shifting animal or a girl.
Actually he's outclassed by most girls too
>>
>>48077730
>I want to make a character like Tien from Dragon Ball in the sense that I want a character who focuses on hand-to-hand or martial combat, but also has a very powerful energy attack that he can use on occasion.
Doesn't this describe everyone in DBZ?
>>
>>48081227
Oh yeah. Well point made.
>>48081232
Well shit. Maybe I can make someone who fights in a similar way to Tien, but isn't as powerful?
>>48081278
Yeah I kinda forgot about that.
>>
>>48081815
I guess I should have just asked "What class in Pathfinder can shoot laser beams?"
>>
>>48077730
Use Path of War and Psionics Unleashed from Dreamscarred press.
>>
>>48081992
What the fuck even are psionics?
>>
psionics are probably better in general for doing that sort of character than an actual monk class for 3.5/PF at least
>>
>>48082085
Psychic bullshit. I don't know the PF/Dreamscarred whatver stuff, but it was basically just vancian spellcasting only instead of spell levels you have a pool of points and powers are worth an amount based on their power level. 1st level would cost 1, 2nd level would cost 3, 8th would cost 15 etc. Their equivilent to metamagic was "augmenting" powers which raises their cost, and you can only spend a certain amount casting
>>
>>48082191
It was a lot more balanced in 3.5 than vancian casting. If you want a martial artist that shoots energy blasts, go with psionics. The augmentation mechanic is appropriate for DBZ style charging-up, and a lot of the powers and feats do have a wuxia feel to them (especially if you use the Talashtora stuff from Secrets of Sarlona.)
>>
>>48078258
Okay if I do the Quinggong monk archetype, I can take Scorching Ray. That seems kind of like the Dodon Ray, right?
>>
>>48081806
Yamcha still can blow up small planets easily at the end of freezer saga, he's stronger than vegeta when he came to Earth for the first time.

At the end of DB he was stronger than Jackie who could blow up moons.
>>
>>48082948
I second this one. There was a psionic half giant my party once and she was a badass.
>>
>>48084393
Was she a psychic warrior?
Psychic warriors with a one level dip in monk plus the Talashatora feat are what monks should have been from the start.
Hell, next time I run 3.5 I'll probably allow a homebrew unarmed psychic warrior variant.

>Unarmed Psychic Warrior (Alternate Class Feature)
Unarmed Psychic Warriors lose their proficiency with all armors and shields and lose their proficiency with martial weapons. In addition, they also lose their first level bonus feat.
In exchange, unarmed psychic warriors gains the monk's AC Bonus, Unarmed Strike, and Flurry of Blows class features, and count their psychic warrior levels as monk levels.
>>
>>48084874
Pretty darn sure that was the case. I mean, it's the favored class of the race after all.

>Unarmed Psychic Warrior

Sounds good. Might suggest it to the DM next time I play 3.5.
>>
File: dnd_psm_20040723b.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
dnd_psm_20040723b.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48085718

Look up psychic rogues, too. They are from a web article. Those are pretty fun.
Hold on, I'll post it here in fact.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.