[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/osrg/ OSR General - Miniature Giant Space Hamster Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
>Trove -- https://mega.nz/#F!3FcAQaTZ!BkCA0bzsQGmA2GNRUZlxzg!jJtCmTLA
>Useful Shit -- http://pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

Last Thread >>47998654
> hobbit rabbits and rabbit halflings. On plantations. But not in ACKS.
> Arnold Punch and False Patrick are nominated for the Most Hated Person of the Year
> Black Hack, Starvation Cheap, Other Dust, Shinobi&Samurais pdfs. And comics.

Last, but not least:
> Can fingerprints be detected as evil?
>>
>>48074767
> How do you guys use detect evil and other detect spells? Is it like a infravision where certain stuff lights up if it's evil, or is it like a sonar?
Caster sees red glow around Evil things.

> Do things that are more evil produce more "light" or "noise"?
Neither.

> Is it like an aura thing?
Yes. It is literally an aura thing.

> Can fingerprints be detected as evil?
Not unless something went horribly wrong.

> Can something be detected as evil if it doesn't have a consciousness, like a jar that makes you evil etc?
Yes. Evil things are a ... thing.
>>
File: EASLEYWrathofImmortals.jpg (214 KB, 775x1125) Image search: [Google]
EASLEYWrathofImmortals.jpg
214 KB, 775x1125
>>48075802
>Can fingerprints be detected as evil?
I don't think they do, not unless it's from an extremely powerful evil such as a lich or something.
>>
>>48075893
Undead souldn't leave fingerprints. Well, maybe vampires.

Powerful demons might.
>>
>>48075913
Zombies? Other beings with flesh and skin still here?
>>
>>48075802
What's so wrong with furries anyway
Furry haters are getting more obnoxious than zoophiloids
>>
>>48075846
>>48075893
>>48075913
>>48076333
Thanks for the answers.

I'm asking this because of a thing I read in B2, there are some pots or jars or something that will turn the one touching them into a slave of the cave. It's written that if a cleric uses detect evil on them, he will feel an incredible disgust. This seems to suggest that some things are "more evil" than others.

Another situation I'm unsure about regarding the spell is if, say, a wizard builds a tower and curses every piece of slab and every thing in it. Would detect evil just make the cleric's vision completely red?
>>
>>48076382
I guess so much evil stuns them or something
>>
>>48076333
> Zombies?
Not unless they are capable of sweating.

> Other beings with flesh and skin still here?
Undead or living? Primates and koalas are there, apparently.

Also, Internet told me something weird again:
> Animals with hairless snouts, such as pigs and dogs, have unique nose prints
>>
>>48076346
> What's so wrong with furries anyway
Breaking and entering (also kidnapping and stealing stuff).
>>
>>48076346
In my experience, a lot of them get super buttflustered if they can't play their fursona, and generally would rather erp/spend as much time as possible trying to be cute and cuddly

Granted, of course, there are exceptions, but the exceptions are generally the people who you wouldn't recognize as a furry anyways.
>>
Forgot to add to OP, but free Godbound is here:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185959/Godbound-A-Game-of-Divine-Heroes-Free-Edition

>>48076942
Weak bait, anon. We don't really care about furries here.
>>
>>48076382
At times like these I feel like it's worth referring to what the books say to figure out what the author was thinking.

OD&D
>A spell to detect evil thought or intent in any creature or evilly enchanted object. Note that poison, for example, is neither good nor evil.

Holmes
>A spell to detect evil thought or evil intent in any creature or evilly enchanted object. Poison, however, is neither good nor evil.

B/X
>This spell can be used to detect evil intentions, or evilly enchanted objects within 120' causing the creatures or objects to glow. Actual thoughts are not detected; only the "feeling of evil". The exact definition of "evil" is left to each referee, and players should discuss this point so that all are in agreement; "Chaotic" is not always "evil". Poison and physical traps are neither good nor evil.

AD&D
>This is a spell which discovers emanations of evil, or of good in the case of the reverse spell, from any creature or object. For example, evil alignment or an evilly cursed object will radiate evil, but a hidden trap or an unintelligent viper will not[.]

B/X is probably the most relevant one here.

>Would detect evil just make the cleric's vision completely red?
Nah, but everything within 120' would get a funky glow going on.

It's worth remembering that Gygax was the author of B2, and he wasn't exactly using three-point alignment at the time. It's mostly just flavorful description to warn players that "yo, this shit is dangerous as all hell".
>>
>>48076942
Honestly, I think the problem is that people just say furry when what they really mean is faggot. Furries just have/had a lot more faggot overlap. Which is too bad because it makes selling an Ironclaw campaign a real bitch generally.
>>
>>48077010
So evil things are only detected as evil if they will do something bad to you if you interact with it?
>>
>>48077010
>"Chaotic" is not always "evil"
I find this funny because LotFP's Detect Evil is straight up said to basically just be "detect chaotic"
>>
Has anyone actually run one of Dyson's maps as a DM or player? How did it go? Any advice?
>>
>>48077213

Well, that's the answer you get if you ask a lawful priest.
>>
>>48077329
No, I mean, the spell literally only detects Chaos
>“Evil,” for purposes of this spell, is an in-game colloquial term. It should properly be called “Detect Chaos.”
>This spell allows the caster to know if anything that is within his field of vision (or on his person) is Chaotic. For the purposes of this spell, Chaotic is defined as, but not limited to, undead creatures, any extra-dimensional or extra-planar creatures that are not specifically Powers of Law or angels, any creature with innate magical abilities (including Magic-Users, but not Clerics), artifacts, symbols, or sacred places dedicated to evil gods, and supernatural creatures incapable of being good.
>Mortal creatures, physical objects not directly connected to evil deities, traps, poison, or places where great atrocities have taken place are not considered Chaotic or evil for the purposes of this spell.
>It detects supernatural disturbances, not ill intent or foul deeds.
>Curiously, this spell does not detect magical items or effects.
>The reverse of this spell, Detect Good, detects Law instead of Chaos.
>>
>>48077387

Yes, and Clerics are agents of Law. The spell detects the enemy.
>>
>>48077161
Evil things AREN'T evil unless they have evil intentions in some way.

Remember, B/X doesn't have "Evil" as an alignment. Neither do BECMI or early OD&D, for that matter. You're either Lawful, Chaotic, or neither - and regardless of what you're aligned with, you can still be a murderous asshole or pacifistic saint.

It helps that the only spells that are specifically restricted to Law and Chaos are the Cleric's. Lawful Magic-Users can curse the fuck out of people all they want. Magic-Users have no sense of right and wrong, mechanically speaking.

>>48077213
LotFP takes a somewhat different stance on the whole alignment thing, IIRC?

>>48077387
So what exactly does Detect Law detect, then?
>>
File: Fearsome Gods.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Fearsome Gods.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey there OSR! I've been seriously updating my own homebrew here and reached a good point.

Fearsome Gods changes;
>Setting changes, no longer bronze age
>Human, Vanara racial changes
>Class name changes, no longer edgy
>Complete magic system overhall; now magic users get magic dice and 'arcana' or passive magic abilites. None of them have been added yet.
>Saves have been cut in half to 3 double-stat based saves, each class improves in one on odd levels but get a specific save bonus to a category (combat, hazard and magic respectively) on even levels
>experience is no quantified

Hope anyone who is interested in my game enjoys the new stuff, now I just need to write down some spells and arcana and we'll be good to go!
>>
>>48075802
> hobbit rabbits and rabbit halflings
Should I channel Watership Down and kill 'em horribly?
>>
>>48077662
>So what exactly does Detect Law detect, then?
I would imagine Clerics or other beings with innate divine powers; extra-dimensional beings that are Powers of Law or angels; artifacts, symbols and places dedicated to lawful gods; and supernatural creatures that are incapable of evil.
>>
>>48075802
>Black Hack

So I think everyone is in agreement that it's pretty good but how do people feel about all these splats getting pumped out by 3rd parties?I mean, two cyberpunk versions (Cyber-Hacked and Mirrorshades) and the Cthulhu Hack (including a splat) are priced higher than the default game. I feel like this may be the next big RPG bubble.
>>
>>48076346
Higher chance of special snowflake syndrome and sperging out. There's some cool ones out there but they're few and far between. I ran BFRPG with a furry group and everyone played something different than their fursona. Dwarves became dogfolk, elves were cats, and halflings were rabbits. It did mean the party became a lot less humanocentric but they got a lot more into roleplay than if I had enforced the traditional demihumans.
>>
What is the best megadundeon, and why?
>>
>>48078216
Blue Medusa. Because it looks nice and coherent, and I haven't played it yet.
>>
>>48077662
Alright, I'm understanding the spell better now.

Just to make sure, a thing can only have evil intentions if it is conscious or if it's magic, correct?
>>
>>48078034
Channel Beatrix Potter instead.
>>
>>48078216
I like the idea of Castle of the Mad Archmage, since it's basically a fan version of Castle Greyhawk - literally so, in the free version.

It bugs the hell out of me that they intentionally made the staircases not line up, though.

>>48078309
That's up to you as a referee, I'm pretty sure.

Again,
>The exact definition of "evil" is left to each referee, and players should discuss this point so that all are in agreement

So chat a bit with your players on whether or not a wolf wanting to bite you is evil.

Zombies and living statues and whatnot tend to fall under "(evilly) enchanted objects", I think? Make sure to discuss what "Evil Intentions" means in that case - does the caster need to be actively malevolent in their aims, or is it just whether the spell is evil, or what? What about the stereotypical out-of-control golem? If a gargoyle stands guard and intends to harm trespassers, does it glow?

It's really important to talk with people so you're all on the same page, I feel. It's not really something where the authors can list everything down in the book without either taking way too much space or going the 3E route of making alignments absolute and critters [Evil]. (Not to be confused with Evil or evil, which are two separate but related terms. The Venn diagram between them is weird as all hell.)
>>
>>48078493
I'll take a look at that, thanks. Is Castle Whiterock any good?
>>
File: song about killing humans.jpg (96 KB, 751x658) Image search: [Google]
song about killing humans.jpg
96 KB, 751x658
>>48078809
It's huge and can/will take players to about level 15. However, some of the locations, NPCs and quests are not quite aligned right (can't quite remember off the top of my head but one quest says to go to one room about halfway down but you actually need to go to another room slightly deeper). Basically, read it, reread it, rereread it and then give your players a more proper adventure hook to delve into it and plumb its depths.
>>
File: 1461603235839.gif (193 KB, 391x676) Image search: [Google]
1461603235839.gif
193 KB, 391x676
>>48078493
Alright, so it's mostly up to me. Still, I'd like to ask how other people in this thread would handle this situation:

Say that there's a magic object that hurts you if you touch it. It should probably detect as evil. There's a switch next to it that makes it so that the object "switches off" so it doesn't hurt the person touching it anymore. Does it still detect as evil in this state?
>>
>>48079490
>magic object
>activated by a switch that is not part of the object

I don't understand.
>>
>>48079624
The direct inspiration for the question is the glowing walls in the Tower of the Stargazer. If you move through them while they're activated, they shock you. If you've put a couple of switches in the right order, they don't shock you. They are undoubtedly magic.
>>
>>48079490
>Does it still detect as evil in this state?
Depends on whether or not you want it to, to be perfectly honest. You could have it detect as "less evil", perhaps, to show that it's "off"; you could have it literally not glow at all, to leave it unambiguous (raises questions regarding whether or not the magic is still there, however); or you could have it keep showing up as "evil", which is fairly unambiguous in whether or not it's still an evil artifact but now ambiguous on whether or not it's actively harmful.

Use whatever you want to use - it's not hard to come up with arguments for any of the options.

>>48079686
Yes, but are they EVIL magic?
>>
>>48079760
>You could have it detect as "less evil"
According to what other people wrote before, stuff either pings as "evil" or "not evil".

>Yes, but are they EVIL magic?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we're rolling with the "intention to do bad thing = evil" idea in this situation.

In any case, what I mostly wanted to know is how you anons would do it. But thank you for the ideas.
>>
>>48079882
> how you anons would do it.
Explosive Runes are not Evil. But Explosive Runes written with blood of virgins on a skins of toddlers, that will try not only kill you, but to suck your soul out - are.

I.e. Evil objects are not Evil because they hurt you. They've are Evil because been made by Evil out of Evil, with the explicit purpose of doing more Evil.
>>
>>48079882
>Sorry, I forgot to mention that we're rolling with the "intention to do bad thing = evil" idea in this situation.
Well, that's a bit of a problem then innit? 'Cause "bad thing" is hella nebulous.

At a risk of getting philosophical here, let's say that you've got a person going through the classic trolley problem. The trolley's hurtling towards five unsuspecting victims, and they have the opportunity to pull a switch to instead divert it towards fatally wounding a single pedestrian instead.
If they pull the switch, would Detect Evil ping 'em? What if they don't?
What if they have a grudge against that one guy specifically, and figure that they might as well take the opportunity? What if one of the five unsuspecting victims is the Zodiac Killer, and they know this, and this is their one chance to take him out?

Alternatively, let's say that you've got a cop. A wizard cop. This cop wants to secure a location, so they set up a magical electric fence - you touch it, it zaps the fuck out of you.
While setting up the fence and hence harmfully trapping the fuck out of the place with full knowledge that this could hurt someone in the future, will Detect Evil ping the wizard cop? Will it ping the fence?

This kind of shit is why you need to talk with your players. Also, why alignment debates rapidly degenerate.
>>
>>48080149
Well shit, I agree with you. This stuff is confusing and that's why I asked about the spell in the first place.

I guess I'll just talk to my players.
>>
Has anyone ported Thri-kreen over to Basic or OD&D?
>>
>>48081429
>OD&D
Shouldn't they be pretty easy to just directly port over?

Like, I'm pretty sure that you could literally just run them with their AD&D write-up and things would probably be fine.
>>
>>48081633
It should be for some games but not for others
>>
I can't find a game of ACKS, Labyrinth Lord or DCC in my area. I have a choice of 5e or Pathfinder. Which am I more likely to find amenable as an old school gamer?
>>
>>48084019

5e by a long shot. It's not old school, but it's a lot closer than PF.
>>
>>48084019
>I can't find a game of ACKS, Labyrinth Lord or DCC in my area.
What about Swords & Wizardry, Basic Fantasy, Castles & Crusades, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Delving Deeper, Microlite74, Dark(er) Dungeons, OSRIC, OD&D, Holmes Basic, B/X, BECMI, RC, AD&D or 2nd edition AD&D?
>>
>>48084718
Those neither.
>>
File: 1465591909551.jpg (240 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
1465591909551.jpg
240 KB, 1136x640
>>48084868
Then make one.
>>
File: son-i-am-disappoint.gif (85 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
son-i-am-disappoint.gif
85 KB, 480x600
>>48081429

C'mon man I found 2 b/x variants in like 10 seconds.

http://ode2bd.blogspot.com/2009/05/bx-dark-sun-more-thoughts-on-races.html

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?702749-B-X-Dark-Sun-and-Psionics/page3

First 6 results on google.
>>
Question: For monsters that have more than 1 attack such as an Owlbear (2 claws/1 bite), do you roll for each individual attack to see if they hit or do you roll once and they all hit?
>>
>>48086588
Each one is an individual attack, so you roll for each one.
>>
Any request for encounter lists, item lists, dungeons, class writeups, creatures, anything? I'm looking to stretch some creative muscle.
>>
>>48087372
Some vegetation-based monsters/traps a-la Assassin Vines?
>>
>>48087372
What about trying your hand at a megadungeon level map? Something relatively close to the surface but not quite there, third level or something. That might be an interesting challenge, mapwise.

>>48084019
5E really depends on the DM. There's a lot of things you can tweak, so it could just end up being 3E 2: Electric Boogaloo: Now With Plot-Based XP or it could be something more 2E-esque.

Ask the players and/or DM before joining, perhaps? Or just show up for a session and see if it's interesting.

Otherwise, though, >>48085069 isn't exactly wrong. Maybe try to bring up interest in OSR in your area by DMing a game?
Do note that this could leave you locked into that role, though.
>>
File: dungeons-and-dragons-tabletop.jpg (33 KB, 400x454) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-and-dragons-tabletop.jpg
33 KB, 400x454
>>
>>48086338
Thanks.
>>
>>48075802
Does anyone have the Birthright Campaign Setting for AD&D 2nd Edition????
>>
>>48090901
Check the Trove. TSR->Settings->Birthright
>>
File: gygax.jpg (24 KB, 250x335) Image search: [Google]
gygax.jpg
24 KB, 250x335
>http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive.php?sectioninit=FE&fileid=409&watchfile=

>A compilation of questions and answers from Gary Gygax, compiled from the Dragonsfoot forums in to one easy-to-access file.

>211 pages

Discuss
>>
File: 1463552379040.jpg (53 KB, 450x865) Image search: [Google]
1463552379040.jpg
53 KB, 450x865
>>48091415
What the fuck? Was he hoping it would be compiled into a new Unearthed Arcana? Still, wish he was alive so we could get his thoughts on the new edition and all of the OSR material that are springing up around his and Arneson's works.
>>
>>48091500
>his thoughts on the new edition and all of the OSR material

I personally wonder if Gygax would hate the OSR for its emphasis on mechanical simplicity. Throughout his career he seems to have progressed to crunchier and crunchier rulesets (AD&D 1e, Mythus, etc.).
>>
File: Clipboard04.jpg (70 KB, 769x437) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard04.jpg
70 KB, 769x437
>>48091415
> Discuss
Some things are not meant to be known.
>>
How do y'all handle ambushes and sneak attacks against the PCs? I'm thinking of introducing a "notice save" for such situations.
>>
>>48092199

What's wrong with using the surprise roll?
>>
>>48092406
This.
>>
How should I handle dark elves that will be similar but not samey to the ones widely seen in most D&D settings? Running a DCC game.
>>
>>48087372
A semisubmerged marine dungeon with giant crabs of various sizes + levels of intelligence, in addition to other marine-type enemies and dangerous seaweeds, corals whatever. Also, playable crab-men race-as-class.
>>
File: kobold.jpg (14 KB, 263x265) Image search: [Google]
kobold.jpg
14 KB, 263x265
Reminder that kobolds look like this.
>>
I had bought In The Shadow of Mount Rotten a while ago but I just gave it a good read. It's good stuff. Imagine Beyond the Wall only everything is awful and everyone hates you.

>>48094011
Try Mystara Shadow Elves or Eberron Drow?

>>48094098
A Ratbold is fine too. I just hate 3.5 Scaliebolds.
>>
File: osr-logo-black.jpg (51 KB, 800x678) Image search: [Google]
osr-logo-black.jpg
51 KB, 800x678
What OSR titles or settings do you guys think are more conducive to a GM that doesn't like RPing dialog? I like describing the players senses, layering tension with traps/monsters, and describing the effects of the players actions. I have no interest at all in role playing the speaking parts of "town people" or other random NPCs. I prefer leaving the in-character dialog to the PCs speaking to each other.

Obviously dungeon crawls are good for this, since they're (usually) far-removed from civilization. What other OSR titles/settings do you thing are a good fit for my GMing style?
>>
>>48094540
Hexcrawls maybe? Like Isle of the Unknown. That one has some social encounters but it isn't detailed so that stuff is mostly up to the DM.
>>
File: kobold 1e.png (110 KB, 255x355) Image search: [Google]
kobold 1e.png
110 KB, 255x355
>>48094098

>2ebolds

Why was 2e obsessed with making everything a kind of goblin?
>>
>>48091611
He made some stuff for Labyrinth Lords, IIRC?

Also, from what I've heard his con games towards the end were mostly just OD&D with some houserules.
>>
>>48094041

Damn, that's a tall order. Well hopefully this keeps you sated for now. It's an aquatic encounters list.
>>
File: 1465252411242.jpg (75 KB, 795x529) Image search: [Google]
1465252411242.jpg
75 KB, 795x529
My players are riding back to the city to party and get new quests this week.

Tell me /osrg/, what are the aristocrats up to this week?
>>
>>48091611
>>48095171
He wrote Castle Zagyg for C&C, but who knows if he actually played it.
>>
File: Noblemen, swerve.png (338 KB, 778x658) Image search: [Google]
Noblemen, swerve.png
338 KB, 778x658
>>48096344

Roll 1d6
>[1] The aristocrats are signing on fake/funny wills that indicate their property and wealth is going to their pets, an apple tree, their luxury furniture, etc. One of them died during this and it has become legally binding; people are rushing to find a Druid willing to cast awaken on a rose bush so it can split the inheritance.
>[2] Mystery Plays where each member of the aristocracy plays a roll in a mask. The best actor recieves a great gift, but a long standing tradition indicates that if a low born manages to sneak his way into the theater and win the competition he by right of acting skill becomes nobility.
>[3] One member of the nobility has employed three orcs/gnolls/other always evil creature to serve as overdressed body guard and to prove they can master the evil creature. A young maiden was also just murdered in cold blood in town. The two events are very closely related.
>[4] One eccentric nobleman has decided to pay all of his servants in his own paper money he has begun to print- worthless except on his estate and in his own store. The servants are desperately trying to sell the money to anyone else despite its worthlessness, but a few items in the store are actually cheaper then if bought with silver.
>[5] Two emaciated nobles sit across from each other, they have been doing this since the party left the city, not sleeping or drinking or eating. It is said they are engaging in a battle of the minds, but in secret both of them don't want anybody to know they can't actually perform psychic combat.
>[6] There is a magic item available to the first person who can trade in a more interesting one. Up for grabs is a boring but useful magic item (+2 sword?). Trade something less useful but more entertaining to the noble to get it.
>>
>>48096344
1d6 aristocrat plot hooks:
1: They're playing cruel games where they make blood-bets on the outcomes of slave fights
2: The town is abuzz with news that the chief magistrate arrested Lord Quinnsavyr on accusations of black magic. He would like to hire the PCs to enter the dungeon under his house and quietly remove any evidence of his experiments.
3: BEER FESTIVAL. The Brotherhood of the Ecstatic Bottle are in town and all the noble houses are eager to show off their house brew (while also discretely sabotaging their neighbors, of course).
4: Civil war. Two scions of the Great Houses have eloped together, setting off a chain of ancient rivalries and obligations requiring nearly ever noble to pick a side (as each House blames the other for the disappearance of their son). Masked servants stalk the streets with slender knives, and there's good money to be made in bodyguarding for the next few months...
5: The nobles are holding ante-feasts in the town square, preparing and then discarding entire multi-course meals as a show of ostentatious wealth.
6: The Paolu Race begins in a day - each family fields a horse-golem which races through the city's districts until their arcane charge wears out and the golem returns to clay and dust. Think NASCAR levels of obsessive engineering, weird barely-even-horse-shaped creatures (with hidden weapons, natch), mid-race sabotage attempts, etc....
>>
>>48096632
#6 makes me think of that Red Paperclip guy who traded from a paperclip up to a house. I'm imagining a giant bazaar of people wheeling and dealing, desperately trying to sell each other on their shitty items to move up the ranks (and there's no currency allowed, of course). Maybe where you end up determines your social standing for the next year, and people are bartering positions in town (magistrate, mayor, etc.)
>>
>>48096797
>>48096797
Stealing #2 for my next random unmotivated dungeon crawl.
>>
Are there any scans of Castle Zagyg?
>>
Anyone have the cleaned up, errata-updated, non-scanned version of 1st Edition Metamorphosis Alpha?

This version:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/50526/Metamorphosis-Alpha-1st-Edition
>>
>>48096344
1d6
1 - A foreign religion has suddenly become popular with nobles. It may or may not be a front for Fiendish cult.
2 - Two Noble houses have declared enmity. Other houses are being drawn into the conflict via family pacts, etc.
3 - A major noble house has gone bankrupt. The economy is a shaky state (high prices, shortages on staples, etc.)
4 - A nobleman has been implicated in the murder of a local peasant celebrity. Class tensions are escalating.
5 - A local Priest from an aristocratic background has begun denouncing the aristocracy for abuses.
6 - Two nobles are holding a contest to see who can be more debauched.
7 - An old adventurer has recently been granted a title. He is causing a commotion amongst the nobility for his lack of decorum.
8 - A drunken noble accidentally vomits all over a PC (chosen at random, Dexterity check to dodge)
>>
File: 2131231a.jpg (57 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
2131231a.jpg
57 KB, 300x424
Anyone have Woodland Warriors? It's supposed to be based on Swords & Wizardry.
>>
>>48095303

Neat.
>>
Is anyone playing a retroclone right now (not in, at this moment, but currently)? If so, which one?
>>
>>48099050
I'm running Xplorers (uses Original D&D rules with a Traveller/Space Frontiers flavor) and Mutant Future (uses Basic D&D rules with a Gamma World flavor).
>>
>>48096344

I love old artwork like this. It's just an unexplained rapey wolfman.
>>
>>48099289

That sounds really fun. I always liked Star Frontiers and have been planning on stealing Dralasites for a game.
>>
How do you handle secret doors? Do you only allow the players to search once, or do you allow them to continue until they succeed? If you decide to search for a few hours of in game time do you allow automatic success?
>>
>>48099050
Basic Fantasy RPG.
>>
>>48099289
Tell me more, this sounds interesting. I might want to do something like this in the future.
>>
>>48103165

They can search however long they want. Wandering monster checks will continue, however.
>>
>>48103165
I don't let rolls or skill checks dictate if a hidden door is found. The players have to describe to me exactly what they're doing to trigger the hidden door.

>>48103180
About which one? I run original settings for both. X-plorers only has a single page dedicated to the setting. It's intentionally left up the the GM.

Mutant Future is just tiding us over until Mutant Crawl Classics comes out. MF is a fun system, but I like how MCC handles mutant powers better.
>>
>>48078679
>people still unironically post that shit in 2016

did i click on reddit instead?
>>
Playing baldurs gate 2 made me want to pause my D&D4e campaign start a campaign already on level 6 on some classic D&D. I've played tons of campaigns back in the day both basic and AD&D but never made it out of level 3.

But I can't decide between going basic D&D using the expert rules or going AD&D2e. I don't really want to learn a new system for a (probably) short campaign so I come to you expert grognards.

which do you recommend for mid level play, D&D expert or AD&D2e?
>>
File: strength bx vs ad&d.png (333 KB, 781x679) Image search: [Google]
strength bx vs ad&d.png
333 KB, 781x679
>>48103562
My preference in Basic, but it really depends on what you're looking for. AD&D is more detailed. It has more classes, more spells, more races, more moving parts. I'm okay with most of that, but it also adds a bunch of needless fiddly stuff. It adds percentile strength. It adds separate system shock and resurrection survival scores (they're always just 5% points away from each other until they start scrunching up over 90%--why bother?). It adds race and gender minimum and maximum ability scores. The spells have more unnecessarily scaling parts and are generally more involved just for the sake of being more involved.

Simply put, I think that Basic is a much better product for what it covers. It's just a question of whether it covers enough for you. But I will say that if you're looking for a short campaign, the more limited options Basic affords is probably less of a consideration, as you won't wear them out.

If, however, you end up wanting more, I'd recommend checking out Labyrinth Lord's Advanced Edition Companion. Labyrinth Lord, itself, sticks very closely to Moldvay/Cook Basic, and the AEC seeks to reconcile AD&D's options with Basic's simpler, more streamlined core rules. It doesn't go quite as far as I'd like it to in toning down the excesses of AD&D, but it's hard for me not to see it as improvement. In any case, there are really no surprises with the system, and it should all be very familiar if you're at all acquainted with Basic and AD&D.
>>
>>48103736
I think I'll go with basic after all.
I'll take a look at this LL advanced edition companion, and see what it adds, thanks.
>>
>>48103165
Players describe how they are searching. If their procedure cover it, then they find it. Those with special searching get to roll for a chance that turn to find anything the description didn't account for.
>>
>>48076346

The truth? The Internet back then had a lot more stupid children, and things like trolling and flaming were not well understood. The furries who posted material that other people didn't like didn't respond well to the criticism they recieved. Naturally the 'trolls' who argued against the furries were also very childish and stupid, instead of just scrolling on and ignoring it they decided to meme. Naturally trolls began to imitate both sides, and since neither could handle any of this bullshit that's what ended creating the furry flame community on 4chan.

Naturally furries today are troll resistence as they have grown up quite a lot. This Is an unbiased account though, I'm sure someone will try to greatly over exaggerate the fur fags behavior- but that'd 4chan. "Hug boxes are bad unless it's ours", etc.
>>
File: man what if I told you shit.jpg (10 KB, 300x235) Image search: [Google]
man what if I told you shit.jpg
10 KB, 300x235
>>48104258
>trolling and flaming were not well understood

>in 2006

As an old hand at usenet from back in the day... man, what if I told you some shit.
>>
File: 1451353256817-4.jpg (1 MB, 1477x2067) Image search: [Google]
1451353256817-4.jpg
1 MB, 1477x2067
>>48099050
Afraid not, though I'm hoping to get a game of Gray 6 or DCCRPG (barring those, Dark Dungeons) going.
>>
>>48077889
Looks better then the older version, good job!
>>
Is the Maze of the Blue Medusa in the trove? I thought I saw it but can't find it.
>>
>>48105103
Should be. Either Misc or LotFP.
>>
What would be the best monster manual, possible with strong and evocative descriptions of the creatures portrayed and possibly illustrations that carry them across as well
>>
>>48107163
2E's Monstrous Manual appendix sheet thingamajigs.

Take a look at this site for some examples, I suppose:
>http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_contents.php
They're fairly heavy on the whole "monster ecology" thing, for better and for worse.

Note that the physical products had some unfortunate mistakes in how they were made - the big one I can think of is how they came in pre-punched sheets that you could sort into a binder and had a bunch of releases with extra sheets... but some of the sheets had a monster on each side, permanently screwing up the alphabetical order. After all, if you have a sheet with Aarakocra on one side and Aasimar on the other and then another sheet with the Aartuk...

Also, they were loose sheets that you had to stick in a binder. That may or may not be an issue.
>>
>>48107163
If you don't mind something that can be a bit edgy, Hackmaster's Hacklopedia is very descriptive and in-depth. And this is coming from somebody who despises Hackmaster and its "crank the crunchiness up to 11 and then masturbate to it" approach. Of course, I certainly would use the full mechanics in the Hacklopedia, but you could improvise some based on what's there, or grab them from a different source.
>>
>>48107412
Isn't the Monstrous Manual the one where it's all in one book (and the Monstrous Compendium the one where it's in separate sheets you put in a binder)? Also, is there any significant difference between the two, other than bound / binder format?
>>
>>48107718
I honestly have no idea. I just get confused with the terms since Monstrous Manual is more memorable and I don't really have much to do with 2E in general.

The Monstrous Compendium has a ton of setting-specific appendices that I'd imagine didn't get into the Manual, though.
>>
File: bugbear_preview.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bugbear_preview.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48107661
Here's a sample (bugbear) entry from the Hacklopedia I just found online.
>>
File: owlbeast.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
owlbeast.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48107862
And "owlbeast"...
>>
File: orcs hacklopedia.jpg (951 KB, 3988x1292) Image search: [Google]
orcs hacklopedia.jpg
951 KB, 3988x1292
>>48107862
>>48107973
And lastly, some rather rape-y orcs.
>>
>>48075802
I feel like I should know this, but what comic is the OP image from?
>>
>>48108268
The artstyle reminds me of the (great) 4E comics, and that character speaking looks like Minsk, so I'm gonna guess that it's some 4E Forgotten Realms comic?
>>
File: Erthe_Replica.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Erthe_Replica.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Form fillable version of my favorite 1e character sheet
>>
>>48104292
Yes! Illustrate us veteran of the Furry purges!
>>
>>48108031
Is this in the trove?
>>
>>48076382
>Would detect evil just make the cleric's vision completely red?
Not to the point of blinding, unless he's bound a demon prince into every slab of rock.

Perhaps it would shorten the range of his spell, but I should think that an evil cleric or demon in material form would still show up as more evil than a bookcase with a minor imp bound to it.

It would also make a mundane object stand out very clearly as such.
>>
>>48079490
Think about it like a magician. How does it work/how was it made?

If it works because there's an evil spirit bound inside, then sure it's evil, on or off. In my opinion, evil requires intent from some entity.

If it's just wired up to the magical equivalent of electricity, then it's no more evil than a mundane plant that happens to interrupt the vital functions of large mammals.
>>
>>48109154
I'm not seeing it, but there's a copy here:

http://www.4shared.com/office/PdqXcvZkba/HackMaster_-_2600_-_Hacklopedi.html?locale=en
>>
>>48107412
>They're fairly heavy on the whole "monster ecology" thing, for better and for worse.

I really like 2e's approach honestly. It's nice halfway between "It's fucking nothing" and "tl;dr"
>>
>>48109071

There weren't any "furry purges" on usenet, really, that was a fad of the mid '00s. But usenet had trolling and flaming going back to the 70s, on a scale that's almost hard to believe, looking back.
I remember one instance I think started with a troll crossposting about veganism to several groups, some where it was on-topic, some not, which resulted in a massive cross-group flamewar, which even drew in a well-liked doctor from the psychiatry newsgroup. The resulting off-topic battle went on nonstop for like nine months -- we didn't call 'em "flame wars" for nothing.
"Don't feed the troll" was something you had to learn soon.
>>
did that anon ever post their copy of ASE2-3?
>>
>>48110117
They were going to be on mobile internet for a week, IIRC. So not yet, no.
>>
does anyone have the issues of Undercroft for LotFP? The ones in the trove are blank.
>>
>>48108031
>rapist orcs

Why do people enjoy this shit?
>>
>>48108031
Ow the edge.

>>48107862
>the section on Chieftains is copypasted from the Orcs
>literal baby-eaters

wew
>>
>>48111991
Is it any worse than sapient humanoids cannibalizing other sapient humanoids? There's plenty of rape in our history, and obviously the people involved there were all human. Is it really that far out there that one race of malicious, subhuman brutes would be rapey? Of course, with that said...

>>48112254
>Ow the edge.
Yeah, the presentation is a bit edgy in places.
>>
>>48112333
I think that the
>dash she-orc runts on the ground . . . and devour them
>"breeders"
>held captive in unlit caverns
>prostrate themselves, facing away from the male (i.e. presenting their orifices)
>violent rape

parts are were it goes way too edgy.
>>
>>48111991
I'm gonna guess that it's because of people trying to justify Half-Orcs through some kind of weird "where the white women at" lens or something. After all, who the hell would willingly have sex with a porc? /d/ says hi.
That interpretation is pretty damn old, I think.

The rest of the edgelord stuff follows somewhat naturally from that, I suppose, if the number of times I've seen it is any indication.
>>
>>48112551
>>48112652

I personally don't have a problem with it, I do kind of enjoy the subtext of Orcs hating themselves- they kill their own females, try to cross breed with other races, etc.

Personally I'd turn down the edgy just a bit with female orcs being allowed to live and stay as breeders- but female orcs crave the attention and roughness, hence it creates a great misunderstanding between orcs and non orcs.

I'm just not a fan of lazy always evil.
>>
>>48112652
It's funny that Pathfinder is like the only D&D-like that presumes rape for half-orcs. All official D&D editions usually have a poverty, outcast or ~*forbidden love*~ background.
>>
>>48112652
>I'm gonna guess that it's because of people trying to justify Half-Orcs through some kind of weird "where the white women at" lens or something
I dunno. To me it kind of comes across as "We really want to make this race as vile and repugnant as we can, so what can we do to underline that?" And some of the cringy wording aside, I approve of that. One of the things about fantasy is that it lets you go big. And when you're dealing with literal monsters, sometimes its good to go all in with the monstrosity.
>>
>>48113246
Yeah, I get that, but Orcs have always had this almost slightly racist tinge to them since, I dunno, Tolkien probably. Why else would orc babies even be a conundrum, if it weren't for behavior being ingrained on the racial level?

Not to mention how they're literally the not-so-noble savages that roam around in hordes and are going to kill the fields, rape the livestock and salt the womenfolk. They're a race of primitive evil darkskinned maneaters who talk in a lower-class accent, for fuck's sake. I'm pretty sure that one of the Basic modules literally gave a bunch of them bone nose piercings down on their oonga boongaland islands.

I can see the whole thing with the rape just coming from the whole pillaging hordes stereotype, though, that's true.

Also, of course, it's always funny how people assume that it's the ORCS doing the raping. What, they think the adventurers are just going to kill the females after they slaughter the rest? These are people who literally break into lairs to murder and loot and do so for a living.
I guess they sure have lots of faith in humanity.
>>
>>48113550
Well, it's pretty easy to see D&D on the whole as being rather racist if you want to. I mean, you have evil races that it's okay to slaughter without feeling guilty about it. But then again, we're not talking about mere ethnic differences here, and it's kind of crazy to think that different species wouldn't have different intrinsic behaviors (and maybe different socially-enforced behaviors to boot, bringing both nature and nurture into the equation). And sure, maybe this is a bit different, because we're talking about sapient beings, but just because you've achieved a certain level of self-awareness doesn't mean that you are no longer influenced by biology or upbringing.

And, of course, D&D is influenced by Tolkien and mythology, where different races stand in for various traits and behaviors (like the wild and savage centaurs). But I guess that much like the physics of fantasy worlds, it pays not to examine such things too closely.
>>
>>48113550
Tolkien did make orcs to be always evil assholes, but even him regretted doing so in later writings because of his Catholic faith meaning he could not believe in anything or anyone being completely beyond redemption.
Without going too farther into headier subjects, you could say D&D fantasies are inherently reactionary; lionizing of monarchies and strongmen, medieval stasis being preferable to demonized progress (another thing taken from Tolkien without examining where he was coming from). Rapist barbarian orcs play up on that as the Enemies Without that will do the unspeakable to Your People unless you do the hard thing, which in D&D is killing them and taking their stuff.

>I guess they sure have lots of faith in humanity.
Heh. It's worth noting in particular when we're dealing with the OSR take on adventurers as ne'er-do-wells out for plunder rather than fantasy heroes.
>>
>>48098750
I just bought all of the PDFs but they turned out to be watermarked. I'd upload them but I have to figure out how to get rid of those.
>>
>>48113757
>Heh. It's worth noting in particular when we're dealing with the OSR take on adventurers as ne'er-do-wells out for plunder rather than fantasy heroes.
Even when they're "fantasy heroes", there's a shocking amount of cognitive dissonance going on. It's part of why I like the idea of Power Kill (http://johntynes.com/revland2000/rl_powerkill.html) - at least the OSR ne'er-do-wells are HONEST about being scumbags.

It's especially jarring in newer editions where reaction rolls are a thing of the past along with morale, meaning that if you meet a "monster" it's going to be a bloody fight to the death. Jesus Christ, at least in OSR you're somewhat ENCOURAGED to show mercy - you may be a roving band of murderhobos, but at least you don't instantly kill everything in sight.
(You'll still nick the boots from their corpses, though.)
>>
>>48113970
That seems to be just Violence with a bigger smuggo on it. Which, I mean, I get it - heroic fantasy stuff is actually really terrible in a modern context. But that shouldn't mean you have to go all the way to the other side and have a game where you face pig-headed killfuckers that sometimes are nice to your party due to reaction rolls but are still pigfuckers that you would probably killfuck yourself had the dice fallen differently.
>>
>>48113550

I would rape a cute p'orc.
>>
>>48114328
Porcs are not for raping, they're for cuddling up with.
>>
>>48113970
> POWER KILL is meant to suggest a few answers. Or at least, to ask a few questions.

Jesus, could that guy be more annoyingly smug about glorified games of pretend?
>>
Exploding damage, /osrg/. Y/N/Maybe/Idontknow?
>>
>>48108899
Another form fillable character sheet, this one of a more popular AD&D sheet. Figured since the 1e reprint PDFs are finally available in the trove, I'd put some time into these for anyone who might find them useful (or at the very least, interesting).
>>
>>48115033

>no pig nose

That's not kosher. Or it is kosher, I'm not sure which. Either way, that's not a proper p'orc.
>>
>>48115260
Look at the date it was written. 1996, when the oWoD was the hot shit and presented as the cultured alternative for REAL ROLEPLAYERS instead of the knuckle-dragging gorillas that played AD&D.
>>
>>48115300
And here's solely the spellbook page, for those who need more space for spells.
>>
>>48115284
Isn't the game lethal enough as-is without adding critical hits?

Besides, in the long run it's actually to the player's detriment for various reasons - mostly because NPCs have a lower life expectancy and each PC is getting more attacks targeting them than each NPC over said life expectancy. Getting the crazy instant kill is fun, but I'd argue that it works better in a more contained, one-sided method - the Vorpal Sword and its ilk, basically. Because while the crazy instant kill is fun, that's only as long as you're the ones doing it - if the random kobold guard instagibs your Lord, well, that's when it starts to feel a bit bullshit.

So N, I guess.
>>
>>48115395
I was thinking limiting it by character class. Like, Fighters get to reroll (character level+1) times, non-fighters can do it up to half character level rounded up, Magic-Users can do it once. Only NPCs with character levels get to do it, regular NPCs and monsters don't.

That way you get the crazy instagib without "I guess the goblin lucked out and shanked Tiamat to death" results.
>>
>>48115452
You do realize that M-Us are probably going to be the ones who roll it most often, right? On account of doing d4 damage.

It's also only +0,625 damage for them, which is a bit... well. At least they have a somewhat decent chance of instakilling d8 HD enemies now, rather than the two+ attacks they needed before? They can actually do more than four damage now, wonder of wonders.

It'll also probably noticeably slow down your game a bit, but that might be worth it I suppose.

I think that, personally, I'd just go the super-simple 4E route of doing max damage on a 20 if I wanted a critical hit-esque mechanic. It's not making you better than you already could be - it's just making it so that that nat 20 doesn't whiff.
Then again, my actual preference is the "no critical hits" one, so. Yeah.
>>
What's the best module for starting a sandbox campaign? Preferably one that's not 500 pages or something ridiculous.
>>
>>48116136
Keep on the Borderlands, etc. Anything with a defined base of operations.
>>
>>48116136
reading a book on ancient greece
>>
>>48116136
>>48116908
I used Keep on the Borderlands and The Village of Hommlet.
>>
>>48115302
>Either way, that's not a proper p'orc.

but she is a porker this is getting confusing
>>
I'm planning on use the thunder rift with Black Hack

So anyone has use this setting is there any tip for running it?
>>
Anyone have a random table for foods? (stuff on the tavern menu, flavours, stuff in the provisions room, things that can be identified in the just-opened iron ration, etc.)
>>
>>48113804
Bought them myself this morning. I just noticed someone linked them in the PDF Share thread today. Thanks anyway!
>>
File: osr irl.jpg (165 KB, 424x384) Image search: [Google]
osr irl.jpg
165 KB, 424x384
>>
File: Faun's shop.jpg (684 KB, 1449x1024) Image search: [Google]
Faun's shop.jpg
684 KB, 1449x1024
So I've been trying to think of ways to get my players to spend more money, or rather more things for them to spend money on.

I know a common answer on here is adventuring supplies, businesses, running a fort/keep, but I want some options that can personalize characters and provide something actually useful, if minor.

The prices are obviously going to differ, but I want each thing to be pretty fucking expensive, restricting them to characters who have a lot of cash to blow. Since my system uses the cash spent = XP deal, I want my players to spend as much as possible. Essentially I want to do something like this;
>Combat Training Gauntlet- character spends a few weeks being schooled in nine different martial arts. By the end of all of them he gets a +1 to attack bonus.
>Dance Classes/Etiquette school- Character spends a while learning fine dances and noble traditions; which involve things like ballet, gymnastics, and balancing objects on your head and walking around. +1 AC
>Ogre Juggernauts- Great ogres from a far away place have secret traditions and rituals to create the toughest warriors; but they aren't that sacred. They'll gladly teach you for a lot of money; some ritual scarification and getting punched in the stomach by an ogre until you puke grant you +1 HP
>Book Collection- Read about exotic locals, monsters, religious writings, and so on. By the end of it you get a 1 in 6 skill chance relating to whatever topic you were binging on; pick something broad like regions, a large group of monsters, magic, etc.
>Custom Armor & Weapons- Little mechanical benefit, except the armor and weapon get a custom name and appearance. The news of your deeds will travel faster and your weapon becomes more personal
>Magic Eyes- You instill within your eyes the latest alchemical creations and receive low-light vision, but your eyes hurt when subjected to a bright flash of light.

How does something like this sound?
>>
>>48119444
I'm working on a few random food tables for Wolfpacks's expansion.
>>
>>48122588
This is like paying for (permanent) minor magic items. I wouldn't allow it in my low magic campaign, but it wouldn't be out of place in others, as long as the price is prohibitively high enough or they aren't allowed to stack.

One problem I see is that these mechanic benefits will encourage players to spend their money only on things like this and not in things like tracking ancient artifacts, building an outpost and such, that are great adventure material.
>>
>>48119233
firstly have a look at this forums discussion threads aboput this setting
>http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=45
secondly be aware that this is TINY setting with some estimate as being about 21x32 miles, and also having a thriving city and yet not the population to support one - be ready to do some work.
>>
>>48122588

Taxes. Taxes on loot found, taxes on not working land for a lord, taxes on staying at the inn, taxes on not knowing how to cook so having to buy meals 3 times a day, taxes on paying retainers, taxes on construction guild fees for the keep they're building, taxes on the library they keep their spells and arcane knowledge in, taxes on being a lord and owning people who work land.

OSR: Death & Taxes.

Might make them try and fight who ever is in charge of stuff, but that could be neat too.

If you make the minor magic items one use it might help.
>>
File: ImmersionTables.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ImmersionTables.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48119444

There's a food table in this.
>>
File: In Search of the Unknown.gif (535 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
In Search of the Unknown.gif
535 KB, 736x414
>>
Anyone have a link or code for the inkwell coat of arms creator? I have the dungeongrapher, hexmap creator, and city creator myself, but I want to make a bunch heraldry stuff for my campaign.
>>
>>48126818
Oh sweet! Is this in the trove? It'd be perfect for it.
>>
Does anyone have wormskin pdf? I didnt find it in the trove so I assume it is not there yet
>>
>>48075802
These threads have been kind of slow, haven't they?
>>
>>48129897
5e has taken a chunk out of the OSR audience.
>>
>>48130019
I wouldn't necessarily say that, but yes, many people have gone to 5E. Really though, these OSR threads tend to be slow. Wasn't there one recently that lasted nearly a week?
>>
>>48130019
>>48130059
Is 5E really that big of an OSR draw?
>>
>>48130059
Ayup.

>>48130292
I'm not too sure about that, but it's certainly more likely to appeal to OSR players than 3E or 4E - although given that a lot of the modern generation of OSR players probably has some kind of experience with one of those two, who knows.
>>
>>48130292
WotC made it so one could run many if not most of the old modules in it and most of it's rules are optional (feats, skills, non-core races, etc.). It won't kill the OSR movement but D&D will always cut into it.
>>
>>48130318
>although given that a lot of the modern generation of OSR players probably has some kind of experience with one of those two, who knows.
I started with 3E, but my group diversified and were willing to try other systems as well as other versions of D&D. Hell, longest campaign I was ever in was a 4E game that ran nearly 2 years. But as I get older I want to try new (and older) systems, and I'm even working on my own fantasy system (been through like 6 total revisions, trying to find a nice niche, you know?)
>>
>>48127846
Anyone know how to do that kind of stuff? It seems like you could just modify the code from the other ones posted in the archive.
>>
>>48130292
It's like a modernized and simplified cross between Mentzer and 2ed. It's compatible with most OSR material and has a similar feel.
>>
>>48131090
This. They took the good ideas of previous editions and placed them there (though they did keep some bad things like ensuring caster supremacy) which allows one to play the game in a style akin to what they prefer. And if you have the playtest docs you also have a number of old modules already statted out for you.
>>
>>48131789
>>48131090
>>48130390

The one thing I really mis for 5e is gold for XP though. And I can't figure out a good way to implement it. Plus I was always a fan of different xp progression for different classes.
>>
>>48091500
your picture is super lame.
>>
Tips on describing failed attack rolls aside from "you miss"?

Obviously you can embellish the failure's description, but what are other good ways?
>>
>>48132602
Considering armor boosts AC and thus their chance to miss, you could say with armored enemies something along the lines of
"Your sword makes contact, but you don't quite swing hard enough. It rebounds, barely making a dent in the armor."
>>
>>48096344
being systematically assassinated and replaced by a cabal of Dopplegangers
>>
>>48132602
The other guy isn't just sitting there while you swing away at him. He's knocking your sword aside with his, deflecting your blow with his shield, jumping back out of the way of your swing, turning his body to the side so your thrust slides harmlessly across his breastplate, etc.
>>
File: GMG6200CoverLarge.jpg (75 KB, 300x389) Image search: [Google]
GMG6200CoverLarge.jpg
75 KB, 300x389
any of you fuckers getting MCC?

If not, I'll be dropping my PDFs into the trove.
>>
>>48133865
I want to read it first (like most products) before I buy it. Sounds interesting though especially since I recently purchased DCC.
>>
File: 1455050509288.gif (207 KB, 490x547) Image search: [Google]
1455050509288.gif
207 KB, 490x547
Hey guys, I want to make my own OSR kinda game but not sure how I should approach it: Do I start with a core mechanic and work out from there or look at using a spread of mechanics and work them together? Or maybe work on a setting first then make a game to fit that setting?
>>
File: MCC-Preview-GC15PG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MCC-Preview-GC15PG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48134315
Well, here's a preview.
>>
>>48134591
Is this something you want to sell or just a personal project?
>>
>>48134620
Personal for now. If my group gives it a thumbs up I might get some playtests out to you guys to check/use. If I hear good things (or some proper constructive criticisms) I'll refine it some more then probably do a 1E pdf tosee how well it does. If well, I'll do a kickstarter. Trying to keep the rules under 150 pages to make is easy but still have crunch.
>>
>>48134922
>"I like OSR because it's simple and clean unlike the Dee-Uhn-Dee put out by Jewzards of The Coast."
>proceeds to write a 200-page abomination with terrible rules bloat

wew
>>
>>48134988
Um... No? I said nothing about that. I like D&D (save 3.P), I just want to make a game, get my mark in the industry at best. The 200 pages would be a rules section, characters section, basic equipment, spells and prayers and shit, a GMs guide, treasures and magic, monsters and villains section plus a starter adventure.

Or at least that is what I hope it ends up being. I mean hell, BFRPG is 170 or so pages, DCC is over 400.
>>
>>48132243
The XP thresholds in 5e are pretty low, I don't think gold for XP is necessary.
>>
I'm looking for a custom class for Lamentations an anon posted here a while back called, I think, the adept. It got an extra die it could roll and add to any other roll, but if it ever came up 1 the extra die would drop down one size. Did anybody happen to save it?
>>
>>48129897

It ebbs and flows. Stick around and it'll pick up again.
>>
>>48134591

If you want it to be OSR, then you should pick an edition of D&D and alter it to suit. If you're just aiming for OSR-like, then go nuts, but being able to honestly put OSR on the cover so people know they can run X module with it is nice.
>>
File: LotFP-TheAdept.png (194 KB, 513x874) Image search: [Google]
LotFP-TheAdept.png
194 KB, 513x874
>>48135815

There we go, I knew I saved that somewhere.
>>
>>48136585
Going for OSR-like, akin to DCC being OSR but not adherant to following a specific edition. If this becomes a thing, I'll do some modules thst are shout-outs to the classics.
>>
>>48127846
Anybody?
>>
>>48136671
Thanks man.
>>
File: 1418691181188.png (11 KB, 251x326) Image search: [Google]
1418691181188.png
11 KB, 251x326
Can someone explain the purpose of opportunity attacks to me? I am writing a game and don't feel like I understand them. Is it just to discourage enemies from running straight at the squishy casters? One attack worth of damage doesn't seem like a big deal from what little I've played, especially when the tradeoff is taking down a wizard quickly.
>>
>>48139006
the fuck are opportunity attacks? like not failing a surprise roll?
>>
>>48139135
I-is this not the thread about d20 DnD clones?
>>
>>48139496
a whole new woooooorld (don't you dare close your eyes)
>>
>>48115307
You know, there are many, many things I do cherish from those days. And I think a few too many of them were left behind in our haste to move on (a lesson White Wolf never learned.)
But dear god, some of the shit really doesn't deserve eternal preservation on the internet. Except in a 'learn from our mistakes' way, I suppose.
>>
>>48139006

Yeah, they're an AD&D thing, and they're supposed to represent getting a free shot at an opponent who turns his back on you.

I prefer to rule that you can't move past someone unless they're already engaged with someone else. That way the only way to get behind an enemy group is to outnumber them, which is pretty accurate.
If you want to go a little easier on the squishies in the back, (considering D&D loves its hordes of little nasties) say the front line defender has to be engaged with two attackers before you can freely move through his reach.
>>
about to run the temple of elemental evil. any advice?
>>
File: Dark Sorcerer.jpg (121 KB, 1024x1440) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sorcerer.jpg
121 KB, 1024x1440
Does anybody else feel like the Magic user should be the 'weirdest' guy in every party?

What I mean is; the guy with the most mutations, the strangest motivations and backstory, the most interesting and exotic inventory; should all be the magic user. Anyone agree with this?
>>
>>48134988
>>48134988
Most of a decent rulebook isn't game mechanics, it's tips on running the game, background details, monster stats, all that sort of thing.
>>
>>48141054
that feels like a way to give magic users More Cool Stuff compared to other classes.
>>
>>48141405

To be fair, they already do. They are the only class with any amount of customization and with magic + spell slots they get their own little minigame to play.
>>
>>48139006
Well, let's talk about how Chainmail handled things. If you touch bases with another figure, or just get within three inches or whatever, you're locked into melee for the rest of the turn - you only get to disengage after someone fails their morale check (a somewhat static value that's probably pretty clunky to play out), with their being any number of rounds of combat within the turn.

So you can't just run past the front lines to attack the back without having plenty of room to maneuver. This got into later editions as well, noticeably in how the "zone of control" around the characters is still a thing.

Now, once you actually disengage there's a few different things that can happen. Let's focus on the two that Moldvay's Basic/Expert used - that of the Fighting Retreat, where you get to disengage and move half your speed and retaliate if anyone comes after you during the round, and that of actually just running away in which case you move your full distance but don't get to retaliate and they get a pretty big bonus to hit you. Also, of course, thieves get backstabs.

You also have the somewhat nice thing where if you want to shoot a guy who's behind another guy you need to be able to arch your shot over the front line - something you can't do with a crossbow, and also can't do while inside for obvious hitting-the-roof problems.

3E onward's Attacks of Opportunity, then, are a somewhat simplified version of this - if you get inside someone's zone of control, you'll take a hit if you want to retreat quickly (or not, if you take a 5-foot step or the equivalent).

Note that different systems decided to take very different approaches to this - the most notable one is how 4E decided that you had one AoO PER TURN, meaning once per enemy, whilst 3E had one PER ROUND (+DEX with a feat) and 5E also just has one per round. This might not sound like a lot, but it means that if a Fighter can only stop one enemy from rushing past them.
>>
>>48142705
I'd just like to note that I'll forever detest 3rd edition for expanding opportunity attacks for every fucking thing.

I have a player who bitches every fucking time he doesn't get an opportunity attack on opponents standing up, for example. He wanted an opportunity for an enemy shaking a sleeping ally awake FFS.

On second thought, it's probably the player being retarded, but he'd be less retarded if he didn't play 3rd.
>>
>>48142765
>He wanted an opportunity for an enemy shaking a sleeping ally awake FFS.
That's not ridiculous. If you're within weapon range and they're doing something that means they can't actively guard against you, that's bad news for them. Now, you could represent that as an attack of opportunity of some sort, or merely as a bonus when and if you decide to attack them, but bending over somebody to shake them awake when an enemy is no more than a few quick steps away is asking to get run through.
>>
>>48142863
"Shake awake" is how the action is described, the NPC was kicking him in the side with his boots. Maybe repeatedly and a bit more gently than usual. You wouldn't literally bend down and shake someone awake in a combat situation, I think.

Still, considering attacking someone else often involves something equally as distracting as shaking a person up, why wouldn't you give AoOs for that then? If you are fighting two guys and can adequately defend yourself from one while attacking the other, why couldn't you do that while shaking someone up?

AoOs are functionally not meant for every action that could possibly provoke them, only to punish trying to move away from a melee character without covering yourself.
>>
Are there any OSR systems that have done druids, bards, necromancers, witches and/or barbarians in an interesting way?
>>
>>48143426
It's probably not what you're talking about, but I really like how Castles & Crusades took spells away from bards, rangers and paladins. Not every class needs vancian magic.
>>
>>48143426
Astounding Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (ASSH) had those as separate classes, though I don't remember if they did something special for them.
>>
>>48143426
I kind of like the OD&D/AD&D Druid, to be honest? It fits an interesting design space that isn't quite covered by the M-U and Cleric, by being a sort-of hybrid of them.

It has hardly anything to do with the historical/mythical druids, though.

I also remember the OD&D Barbarian being pretty neato - it's a Dragon article not unlike the Bard or Illusionist, but didn't get picked up as one of the "canon" classes. Probably because they're basically a werewolf. It's pretty boss.
>>
>>48146908
That wasnt a barbarian, that was the berserker in dragon magazine. You chose one of four clans ( rat, boar, wolf, tiger...I think) and then that determined your progression in that class and when you got to turn into a were- whatever your clan totem was while raging. VERY cool, but you also had a good chance of dying due to near uncontrollable rage in battle that lasted your con score in rounds with no limit per day and a random chance to start unintentionally in combat.

Fun stuff, not gonna lie.
>>
>>48146908
>>48147297
Sounds kinda like the Man-Beast class that White Dwarf made for D&D.
>>
File: 1465152666841.jpg (180 KB, 486x624) Image search: [Google]
1465152666841.jpg
180 KB, 486x624
What do you guys feel about corruption and god disapproval rules? I'm thinking of changing the rules for magic so you can still try to cast a spell even though you haven't prepared or you're not chanting or whatever, but there's a big a rather big chance that the spell fails and triggers some kind of corruption or disapproval DCC style. I'd like to hear if anyone else uses a similar system or if they think this system looks interesting or is just trash.
>>
Been sick as a dog. Catching up on this thread and the last one. If anyone wants to submit anything, let me know.
>>
Update:
Managed to grab the stuff from the last thread.
> The Black Hack & associated books
> Ruination of the Dust Princess Alpha
> Shinobi & Samurai
> Stars Without Number - Starvation Cheap
> Other dust

Fair warning. I have no idea where other dust should go, so it got tossed in wth Stars Without Number. It might belong under OSR Misc, I dunno. Someone corrrect me.

Otherwise, I think I'm caught up on uploads.
>>
File: kotb_cover_art-740x360.png (663 KB, 740x360) Image search: [Google]
kotb_cover_art-740x360.png
663 KB, 740x360
>>48150594
You're a gentleman and a scholar TroveGuy
>>
>>48150594
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/atm7vxpvcl29z/Woodland_Warriors Here's a Mediafire for Woodland Warriors which is based on Swords & Wizardry Whitebox if you wanted to add that to the trove.
>>
File: Place Fist Here.jpg (23 KB, 470x368) Image search: [Google]
Place Fist Here.jpg
23 KB, 470x368
>>48150833
>>
>>48148739
I'm always reluctant to give casters more options since they have more than other classes already. However, a mechanic that actively screws them over is always fun, I think. Maybe look at how Last Gasp does magic?
>>
guess what's now available in print?
>>
>>48151186
The reason I want to give casters some more options is just because it seems to grind the game to a halt everytime they've used up their spells. I want them to feel like they have a "just in case" kind of spell so they don't just run away and rest again.

>Maybe look at how Last Gasp does magic?
I'll check that out. Thanks anon!
>>
Fucking exciting. Congrats!

You motivate me to actually work on my project. One day maybe I'll actually finish it.
>>
>>48151107
Uploaded.
>>
>>48151319
>it seems to grind the game to a halt everytime they've used up their spells

Casters. Do. Not. Need. More. Options.
>>
>>48151243
Grats! Link?
>>
File: 99 Cover.png (2 MB, 1167x1654) Image search: [Google]
99 Cover.png
2 MB, 1167x1654
>>48150594
thanks for adding Ruinations of the Dust Princess. It's still a slow work in progress (that I haven't had time for in a few weeks, unfortunately).
>>
>>48151948
I'm sure you're right but it'd be nice if you could give a proper argument for your stance so I can tell my players the same thing.
>>
>>48151948
Punctuating. Opinions. Does. Not. Make. Them. Fact.
>>
>>48151107
Hey, a furry RPG I would actually play. Neat.
>>
>>48151972
I'm working on a homebrew of my own. I like to add TG stuff whenever people want it up there. That's the cool thing about OSR.

If you get a character sheet or a secondary file you get bumped up to a folder!
>>
>>48152182
Sheeeeeeeit.
>>
>>48152247
...This seems suspiciously familiar.

I LIKE IT.

You've been promoted to your very own folder.
>>
>>48152401
Hahaha. I have no shame in my blatant theft. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
>>48152006
>if you could give a proper argument for your stance so I can tell my players the same thing

Casters already get all the nice toys in D&D, especially in the OSR, what with all the interesting effects being spells. Non-casters are essentially left up to DM fiat. If anything, the fighters should be getting special abilities to compensate for the fact that they're utterly boring.

Part of playing D&D is learning resource management, and part of that is learning to manage your spells. If you don't like this, then don't play D&D. (I've discovered that D&D is ultimately not my first choice in games for this reason.)

On top of this, I dislike at-will spells anyway. They trivialize a whole bunch of shit. At-will light is garbage for dungeon crawls.

>>48152009
Nope, but it helps trigger faggots. Case in point.
>>
So Shinobi and Samurai has me thinking of a pseudo-hexcrawl game with some domain management involved.

The basic gist is that the party members have, for various reasons, displeased the Imperial Court and "promoted" to senior representatives of the Emperor's Grace to the far northern reaches of the Empire - a podunk land where it's always cold, the people are surly at best and angry natives that want Imperial heads on a pike at worst, monsters abound and there's a hell of a lot to do. Also, the last senior representatives sent up north all died there.

So, what are good resources for winter styled adventures? I'm not interested in fantasy ice realms or anything like that, but stuff like Hokkaido and the less populated regions of Canada.
>>
>>48152967
Weird New World immediately comes to mind. Might be too magical though.
>>
> AD&D1e folder is now complete.
> Third Party content added under OD&D's folder
> Basic D&D gets "Basic D&D Non-Boxed Rules and Accessories" as a folder added.
> Gygax Writes added as a TSR base folder.

I have the mega folder syncing to an external hard drive now, so it's making it a bit easier to manage.
>>
>>48153947
Awesome! I'm going to copy everything over to my external too so that there are backups for the backups
>>
>>48154135
That'd be good, on the off-chance that I get hit by a bus or something.
>>
Alternate history time.

Gygax doesn't get run out of the company. She Who Shall Not Be Named never got involved or drove the company into the ground, necessitating the endless splat business model that showed up in 2e and was taken over by 3e and later. TSR is still in business and WOTC stuck to magic cards.

What does AD&D 4th edition look like today?
>>
>>48133865
>I'll be dropping my PDFs into the trove

please do.
>>
>>48154316
Like an unwritten pile of slag after the Philippine-Chilean Nuclear Wars of the late '90s. What's the point in this kind of speculah? The turning points are way too many.
>>
>>48154218
More like the trove fails and you are super busy.

It'd be a terrible loss if you were hit by a bus
>>
>>48154316
>She Who Shall Not Be Named never got involved or drove the company into the ground

She came in because TSR was hemorrhaging money. If anything, she saved it and kept it alive and running long enough to attract a buyer.
The Blumes had more to do with running it into the ground.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.