[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /tg/, not a usual poster here. What would you recommend to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Hi /tg/, not a usual poster here.

What would you recommend to someone who is interested in tabletop RPGs and, more generally, good boardgames, but has never played anything more complex than Monopoly? Just a real scrub of a human. Not even many video games.

I'm the scrub. It's me. My family was dirt-sucking poor.
>>
Betrayal at House on the Hill's a good place to start.
>>
>>48069589
Never played it, but I've heard good things about this, OP.

Do you live anywhere near a dedicated gaming store? You might be able to find a group of RPG players that will show you the ropes.
>>
>>48069551
>I'm the scrub. It's me.

Try >>>r/homestuck

Or maybe if you told us what kind of game you were interested in, such as setting, number of players, etc
>>
>>48069551
Everyone Is John
>>
>>48069589
This. Some of the scenarios are unbalanced or don't quite work out, but it is a good place to start nonetheless.

You're going to get a lot of recommendations that you start with D&D 5th edition. You can safely ignore these recommendations. 5e teaches you how to play TTRPGs about as well as Runescape. It's not a bad system per say, but it doesn't do much to make you think beyond just numbers on paper that limit you from doing what you want.

FATE is good, as are the Fantasy Flight Games systems. FATE is essentially just rules to guide roleplaying and character interactions, while FFG is a company that makes licensed games. They have a series of Star Wars RPGs that run mechanically well, and everyone is already familiar with the setting. Their work with the Warhammer and 40k settings are also good, because they're working mostly on eight attributes, level 0 - 100, rolled as a percent. Rolling below the attribute level is a success, rolling above is a failure. Each tens-place difference is an increased degree of success. So if you have a 54 in Intelligence, a role of 32 is success by a fairly significant degree, giving you a few bonuses on whatever the test was for.

Wargaming is a whole different realm entirely. Flames of War is the only good option I've seen.
>>
Paranoia is a great load of fun. Also, Settlers of Catan.
>>
>>48069589
I've heard of this actually. Will check it out. Are there any editions or anything like that? Or am I good to just grab the nearest one?

>>48069648
Unfortunately, the only one within an hour's drive closed a few months back. I was going to ask there, drove over, and was met with an empty building.

>>48069652
No see, that's the problem, I have no idea. I just want a good game that I can drag a few friends into playing. All I want is antics and a touch of good storytelling.

And is that a Homestuck thing? I wouldn't know, I haven't read it.

>>48069692
This sounds like a blast. I'll absolutely play this soon.

>>48069752
Okay, awesome. I'll be sure to check all of that out. A more open-ended system seems like a good place to start.

>Wargaming
Nah. Not yet.

>>48069775
I'd heard of Settlers of Cattan. Does it really live up to the hype? It was the only "complex" boardgame I heard of for years, so I'm dubious out of habit.
Paranoia is new to me, though. Will give it a look.
>>
>>48069884
Catan is mechanically simple and fairly elegant in how it plays. One person can read and explain the rulebook in maybe 10 minutes, and there's a minimum of pieces or interaction between pieces. It plays like a mix of Civ and roulette honestly. Most of the strategy in the game is based on interactions between players, since it should always be more efficient to trade resources with someone than to use the in-game four-of-a-kind for one trade.

The hype is mainly artificial. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid game, but it's just Civ meets roulette, like I said. Like how Game of Thrones is a fairly solid show more often than not, but it's not the second coming of Tolkien some people make it out to be.
>>
>>48069884
>And is that a Homestuck thing? I wouldn't know, I haven't read it.

Nice try kid

>>>/co/
>>
>>48069884
There's two editions of Betrayal at the House on the Hill. The first is out of print, and the second mainly adds rules clarifications and a few balance tweaks to scenarios.
>>
>>48069884
Betrayal is is a lot of fun. Pure narrative experience, a bit of roleplaying will make for memorable sessions, and it's simple enough for casual gamers. Plus it has a TON of replayability, great bang for your buck.
>>
>>48069996
Oh good, that's better than I expected it to be. I'll give it a go.

I notice there are a few expansions. Are any of them essential? Or is it fine vanilla?

>>48070058
>>48070087
Ah, okay. That's good to hear.
I'll get my hands on it ASAP.

Thanks for being so helpful, guys. This is a nice board.
>>
>>48070184
Catan is a good gateway euro-style game (no player eliminations, victory points determine winner, resource management, little direct player conflict) but luck can easily screw your plans, which is why many seasoned gamers despise it.
It's only good for 3-4 people, so if you want a 5-6 player game you'll need an extension, which will increase game time by around an hour, and uses a few modified turn rules.
The other expansions further modify gameplay and are not mandatory.

Seafarers adds ships, oceand exploration and islands. Best expansion IMO, doesn't complicate things too much, and exploring is fun.
Cities and Knights tries to turn Catan into a heavier eurogame, adds new resources, knoghts, technologies and ways to score. Victory points required to win are doubled to 20. OK expansion overall, adds complexity, which is not always a good thing, some will enjoy it, some won't.
I haven't played the rest.
>>
>>48069884
I can second Paranoia. If nothing else, read Paranoia XP SP1. It has possibly the best introduction to a game for both players and gamemasters. Actually running the game is a little harder, but becomes much easier when you don't actually look at dice results

Anyway, rulebook link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3csplkbn6bto1i/Paranoia%20XP%20SP1.pdf?dl=0
>>
Entry Tabletop Boardgames?

>King of Tokyo
>7 Wonders
>Sherrif of Nottingham
>Codenames
>Catan
>Spyfall
>Love Letter
>Coup
>Takenoko
>>
>>48069551

For RPGs check this out. It's DnD Basic, which is a nice intro to RPGs and one of my favorites. Later editions of DnD are not really necessary for the most part. Try a lot of different systems, you can find most online for free.

http://www.4shared.com/office/T5OnHAlMce/1011b_dd_basic_rules__moldvay_.html?locale=en#
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.