[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we just stop for one second and admit something to ourselves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20
File: Impossible.png (107 KB, 334x506) Image search: [Google]
Impossible.png
107 KB, 334x506
Can we just stop for one second and admit something to ourselves real quick?

The Gnome Barbarian has never been a good character. Ever. The joke isn't that funny. It's on par with "Grandma knows kung-fu! Yeah! Get 'em grandma!". It doesn't even work anymore because it's so cliche that I expect the smaller creatures/characters to be stronger than the bigger ones now.

Can we just finally agree that the joke has always been unfunny and stop creating that character and characters like it?
>>
>>48061425
Dark Sun had downright feral cannibal halflings, and that worked plenty fine. Gnome barbarian isn't that far away from there.
>>
>>48061425
t. koksal baba
>>
>>48061425
>The joke isn't that funny. It's on par with "Grandma knows kung-fu! Yeah! Get 'em grandma!".
What, you want kung fu masters to NOT be withered old fuckers? Weird.
>>
>>48061425
Stop being faggot cunt and just let other people have fun. Or don't play with them if you're going to tell them how to have fun.
>>
>>48061425
Your problem seems to be that you assume that a given "Gnome Barbarian" character has no traits beyond his race and class and HAHA SMALL GUY WITH 16 STRENGTH. I would say that it has the potential to be as good or bad as any other character, and that it depends entirely on the person running it.
>>
File: geiw5.jpg (131 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
geiw5.jpg
131 KB, 500x357
>>48061425

I can't even begin to describe what's wrong with you.

That said, there arn't a whole lot of old lady kung fu masters in media it seems, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
>>
>>48061513
My problem is that anyone who has the mentality to make a gnome barbarian DOESN'T take it past that initial concept.

"Oh man, Gnome...barbarian?! That's so hilarious! I'm done with my character. Time to play him and impress all of the ladies".

Even most stories don't do this in an interesting way. I can't even think of 1 interesting small-fighter type that isn't a complete joke or wasted on comedic relief in general.

>>48061543
THAT particular character is different, because she's a completely different character archetype that also happens to be a legit martial-arts master.

I'm talking about shit you'd see in a George Carlos movie where the grandma is in CGI for 90% of the time.
>>
Gnome fighter doesn't have to be a joke.
How hard is that to believe.
>>
>That Guy: The Thread: "I'm an Intellectual and Everyone Should Do As I Say Because I Have My Head So Far Up My Ass That I Can't Actually Tell When I'm The One Who's Wrong" Edition
>>
Small fighter characters don't always have to be played for laughs.
>>
>>48061615
I once made a halfling fighter who was a town guard sort of character, because I figured since halflings are all about their close-knit communities and whatnot, that'd make for a very proud and stalwart kind of protector.
>>
File: 1424214780016.jpg (45 KB, 741x281) Image search: [Google]
1424214780016.jpg
45 KB, 741x281
>>48061689
Yup.
>>
>>48061513
Gnome Barbarian is a joke concept with no potential.
>>
File: Mazzy_Portrait_BG2.png (205 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Mazzy_Portrait_BG2.png
205 KB, 210x330
What about
>>
>>48061425
I agree with you OP.

The only "barbaric" small race twist I've seen is halflings as stone age pygmy cannibals with atl-atls.
>>
>>48061729
Read Mouse Guard and come back when your done.
>>
>>48061916
Mouse Guard is a completely different thing with a different context.
I am talking about Gnome Barbarians specifically, in DnD.
>>
>>48062018
well good job putting up that context and specific situation in the OP sperglord

even then you're still a faggot
>>
>>48061615

>It doesn't count because I said so!

Whatever duder.
>>
You people really need to stop bitching about what is funny and what isn't. Why do you care? Fine, you are not going to play with people who like what you don't like because REEEE
Thing is they surely don't want you in.
>>
>>48062091
fucking this
if you start to police how and why other people have fun when you're the only one being bothered by it then you're the problem
>>
>>48062018
Mouse Guard is not a "completely different thing". I mean, Gnomes are small. So are Mouses. It wouldn't be too hard for one to just rip off mouse guard and replace the mouses with gnomes.
>>
>>48062108
Mice are the 'humans' of Mouse Guard. The gnomes of Mouse Guard would be...like...a bumble bee.
>>
>>48062171
Well, in this setting the 'humans' are small and physically weak.

Like gnomes.
>>
>>48062171
bullshit.
The mouses in Mouse Guard are small and live in a world where Almost everything else is bigger and wants to eat them. Like Gnomes.

>>48062192
Basically what this guy said.
>>
File: rafs this nigga.png (22 KB, 334x370) Image search: [Google]
rafs this nigga.png
22 KB, 334x370
we're reaching levels of damage control that shouldn't be possible
>>
>>48062108
>Mouses
Ok I can deal with retards having a shouting match over shit that doesn't matter, but this is too fucking far.

Also gnome barbarians are shit and are never executed properly. Sure it's theoretically possible that you could make one not shit, but it's also theoretically possible that I could flip 100 coins and have them all land perfectly on their edge.
>>
>>48061425
The problem with a Gnome Barbarian is that it doesn't really make sense in terms of D&D flavor/lore.

Why would a member of a race that's pathologically jolly try to unlock his inner rage? Why would he try physical power instead of using magic, which he already has a talent for?

I mean, I could a Spriggan Barb but a Gnome seems a little out there.
>>
File: ebEZJ54.png (156 KB, 393x588) Image search: [Google]
ebEZJ54.png
156 KB, 393x588
>>48061725
>>
>>48062240
>Also gnome barbarians are shit and are never executed properly. Sure it's theoretically possible that you could make one not shit, but it's also theoretically possible that I could flip 100 coins and have them all land perfectly on their edge.

Those are two completely different things. One is based on luck, and the other is based on the writers ability to be a good writer.
>>
File: 1424213673514.jpg (32 KB, 403x674) Image search: [Google]
1424213673514.jpg
32 KB, 403x674
>>48062266
>Why would a member of a race that's pathologically jolly try to unlock his inner rage?
You've never seen a clown kick someone to death, have you?
>>
>>48062214
>The mouses in Mouse Guard are small and live in a world where Almost everything else is bigger and wants to eat them.

And virtually everything in D&D that wants to kill humans is bigger and stronger save, say, goblins.
>>
>>48062314
The point remains that it fucking never happens, ESPECIALLY at the table.
>>
>>48062266
>Why would a member of a race that's pathologically jolly try to unlock his inner rage?
Now I want to play a dour, pessimistic gnome bard who adventures to experience new and unique forms of misery.

You're right though, the themes of the race and class don't fit together in any way.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>48061425
Not only is this purely a matter of opinion, but you have zero authority over anyone else. There's people who think it's hilarious, so eat shit.

>inb4: URRR U HAEV BAAAAD TAYSTE

Fuck off, that's not for you to decide either.
>>
>>48061425
Never seen that character.
>>
Personally, I just ban gnomes. Stupid race that attracts stupid people.
>>
>>48062388
Someone's being awfully defensive.
>>
the true mistake here was agreeing to play DnD in the first place
>>
>>48062412
Not defensive, just saying OP's being a stupid fag and bitching about people liking something he doesn't.
>>
>>48062412
He's not wrong though.
>>
>>48062345
> virtually everything
Yeah everything in d&d, except for

goblins, Koblins, Orcs, spiders (sometimes their really giant, but usually their just as big as an child.), rats, beholders, hobgoblins, succubi, other humans, elves, zombies ect.

Also Gnomes are physical weaker and ALOT smaller than humans, like rats.

actually, fuck it, i'm done. theres better things i could be doing better things than fighting with an know-it-all dumbass.
>>
>>48062412
>make purposefully offensive and inflammatory statements
>people respond
>LOL ur defensive
No shit, dumbfuck. At least we're not telling others what characters they can and can't play.
>>
>>48062498
>beholders
Doesn't matter. One Beholder can easily wipe out an entire city.
>>
>>48062498
>actually, fuck it, i'm done. theres better things i could be doing better things than fighting with an know-it-all dumbass.

Concession accepted.
>>
>>48061425

Everything is good and bad in equal measure.

Everything is one.
>>
>>48062335
Fuck off, neither have you.
>>
File: tumblr_m55w1m7hGm1qbf1obo1_500.jpg (78 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m55w1m7hGm1qbf1obo1_500.jpg
78 KB, 500x398
>>48062412
This post contains Autism concetrate
>>
>>48061425
>Grandma knows kung-fu! Yeah! Get 'em grandma!
When I was in school I took a beginners martial arts class taught by a muscular 60 year old woman who could throw 250 pound weightlifting frat boys across the room.
>>
File: shaq1.jpg (32 KB, 501x527) Image search: [Google]
shaq1.jpg
32 KB, 501x527
>>48062935
My family were killed by clowns, you insensitive fucktruck. Even now, the memories of their intestines being pulled out like mile after mile of tied handkerchiefs keeps me awake at night in a cold sweat.

The honking. My god, the honking.
>>
>>48063209
Did you really think a sociopath from 4chan would care about the ol' "Turn around the dark humor joke into a real trauma" gag? That's the second oldest trick in the book.
>>
File: shaq2.jpg (14 KB, 312x319) Image search: [Google]
shaq2.jpg
14 KB, 312x319
>>48063253
Yes.
>>
>>48063290
I'll give you points for the creative use of clown death though.
>>
>>48063209
i absolutely need to try making a stage magician/sorcerer that does stuff like this.
>>
I don't know, I remember a mate of mine played a Halfling Eagle Barbarian (5e) with a strong Irish accent, and he descended into incomprehensible ranting while raging.

He was great. Not the best mechanically, but more than made up for it with his inventiveness and RP.
>>
>>48063393
>Pulls rabid animals out of tophats
>Squirt-flower full of corrosive acid
>120 decibel clown-horn
>Removable prop-hand that clamps down on attempted handshakes and explodes
>Woopie Cushion that causes fatal prolapse
>Spinning necktie that flies off as deadly throwing-star
>Banana-cream pie full of superglue
>Snakes-in-a-can gag with live Black Mamba snakes inside
>Pulls a coin from behind your ear, followed by your pacemaker
>Taps your weapon with a magic wand and turns it into a bunch of flowers. Then taps your chest, and you feel your lungs fill up with plastic daisies
>If you see a tiny car approaching, may god have mercy on your soul
>>
>>48062214
When someone plays a mouse in Mouse Guard it's because mice are what you play in Mouse Guard. They're the default, the humans. The game is about being a small mouse in a dangerous world.

When someone makes a Gnome Barbarian in DnD it's because they looked at the race and class and went HURR HURR HURR GNOME BARBARIAN and wrote up a joke sheet with a smug grin spread across their face while shitting and pissing everywhere.
>>
>>48061425
>Comes from a tribe of nomads
>fights with a big stick
>barbaric

There. A Gnome barbarian that makes exactly as much sense as a half-orc barbarian.
>>
>>48063725
This. In mouse guards, you actually are forced to play up the fact that you're small and weak. In D&D, other than holding bigger weapons, there aren't any downsides to being small, making the joke stupid.
>>
Can we just stop for one second and admit something to ourselves real quick?

The Ogre Mage has never been a good monster. Ever. The joke isn't that funny. It's on par with "Grandma knows kung-fu! Yeah! Get 'em grandma!". It doesn't even work anymore because it's so cliche that I expect the dumb creatures/characters to be better wizards than the smart ones now.

Can we just finally agree that the joke has always been unfunny and stop creating that character and characters like it?
>>
>>48061425
Could you have a more annoying dialect?
>>
>>48063913
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>48063147
I'm gonna be a huge faggot and defend OP for a minute.
If I had to guess, he was probably talking about the hunch-backed, limbs don't work properly, walks slower than one mile an hour type of grandma, not somebody who has very evidently spent much of her life training and lives on like a fucking mountain.

As for gnome barbarians, all I can say is that anyone who stops at "haha I'll make an angry super strong midget" and doesn't develop it any further is gay. Barbaric angry gnomes also doesn't make sense as far as lore goes. But I mean who the fuck cares?
>>
File: 2011-FEB-Baldurs-Gate-4.jpg (55 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2011-FEB-Baldurs-Gate-4.jpg
55 KB, 600x450
>>48062498
>beholders
>>
>>48061425
Fuck off, I just rolled a gnome barbarian
>>
File: bored asuka.jpg (36 KB, 487x650) Image search: [Google]
bored asuka.jpg
36 KB, 487x650
I'm on OP's side. Anytime there's a gnome barbarian, I just roll my eyes. Usually leave the group. In fact, I've left every group that had a gnome barbarian, now that I think about it.
>>
File: Marv.jpg (39 KB, 343x326) Image search: [Google]
Marv.jpg
39 KB, 343x326
My campaign is all variant human cultures with slight "racial" benefits/drawbacks.

Because nothing stunts the imagination of a player more than playing some demi-human and the sum total of his "character idea" is their recollection of Gimli from the movies or an angsty Salvatore novel hero.

Player non-human characters add not a goddamn thing to Fantasy RPGs.
>>
Why do gnomes even exist when Halfings do?
>>
>>48067553
Because they are "elf-halflings" for people who don't wan't to play Bilbo Baggins.
>>
>>48063780
>big stick
but it's a small weapon.
>>
File: 1379882874556.jpg (315 KB, 900x1239) Image search: [Google]
1379882874556.jpg
315 KB, 900x1239
>>48061425
>Heh! I'm the strongest in the party despite being a puny Halfling Barbarian.
>the rest of the party are mages and healers
OK son. It's definitely weird that the sole front line fighter is also the strongest.
>>
>>48061425

Why do you hate fun, OP?
>>
>>48062305

That's a pretty perfect example right there.
>>
File: joker what.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
joker what.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>48063551
cool concept for an rpg, unless you have one of those players that have to point out any random similarities to pop culture.
>>
>>48067590
depending on what kind of gnome, can get charisma bonus. use combo of rage and charisma to max the shit out of intimidate.

the gnome barbarian tribe that conquer less stalwart plebs by breaking morale before the battle lines even cross.
>>
>>48067478
Seriously, this.

If you use other races to fill in your cultural blanks, then either your world-building or your player's imaginations need work.
>>
>>48061425
I'm with you op, fuck these guys gobbling the halfling dick.

Imo halflings were a mistake.
>>
>>48061425

Like I'm not gonna tell people they can't play a Gnome Barbarian or even shouldn't.

I do think it reflects poorly on the individual, and usually a sign that I'm not going to enjoy this interaction at all. Especially if the Gnome is like a 12 year-old for some fucking reason.

I once met someone who made the above character and unironically thought it was hilarious and talked about how random their character was. It was a convention game and outside forces ended up reshuffling my table so I didn't have to play with them, which was such a relief. Everything about the way they were acting sent up red flags, so it was nice that I didn't have to actually interact with them in the end.
>>
>>48063075
>This post contains Autism concetrate
Heh
If I weren't so exhausted, I'd turn that into a juice can image
>>
What a surprise, /tg/ defends shit on the basis of "muh fun overrules urs" and the freedom to be shit. Gnome Barbarian is entry level lolrandom that is on par with Kender.

Garbage begets garbage, stop using your low standards to bog everyone else Down in your faggotry. This reminds of of the waifu thread where fucks cried that being denied their pretend GF is ruining their fun.

Good, maybe your fun isn't worthwhile. Maybe you should stop making everything about your right to please yourself and no one else.
>>
>>48074861
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>48074861
Are you seriously saying that simply hearing about other people playing characters you dislike means you are unable to have any fun in the hobby?
>>
>>48079731
No nigger, but way to make it about you being the victim.

Point is that social events aren't the place for your sad wish fulfillment fantasies about having a GF at the loss to everyone else.
>>
File: _ngsyz6Ky071r574sf.gif (745 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
_ngsyz6Ky071r574sf.gif
745 KB, 500x360
>>48074861
>PEOPLE ARE HAVING FUN IN WAYS I DON'T LIKE A BLOO BLOO BLOO
>>
>>48080564
It's fine if they have fun. I'd just like them to have fun somewhere else, not in my game.
>>
>>48081508
Don't worry. I'm sure no one does.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 488x516
>>48074861
>People's version of fun differs from my version of fun? NOT ON MY MONGOLIAN SHADOWPUPPET BLOG!
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.