[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is PbP gaming strictly superior than vis-à-vis? >You're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1459862739725.jpg (85 KB, 840x623) Image search: [Google]
1459862739725.jpg
85 KB, 840x623
Is PbP gaming strictly superior than vis-à-vis?

>You're alone, roleplaying feels less awkward
>You don't see the other guy, even if you know him IRL. The isolated text makes it easier to imagine his character
>It's less on the fly and more slower paced, you can overthink your moves
>Due to the format, you can be more detailed in your roleplay. You can even spend a few posts exactly describing what kind of dish you're preparing for your friends
>Romance becomes much less awkward, as you don't have to listen to your neckbeard of a GM put on a girly voice when you're trying to woo a half-dragon princess

For D&D and other such RPGs, I don't see the added value of meeting face to face. That's more of a thing that's benificial to board/card games that require less roleplay.
>>
It is strictly worse.
>What takes two hours vis-a-vis takes two weeks in a pbp game
>PbP is only for those who have such low confidence in themselves they can't even handle a conversation between friends without sperging out.
>Face-to-face builds friendships and good times while pbp leaves names on a screen and often dies within a week.
>People who play PbP are those who can't find a real life group to play with so more often than not you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with players.
>>
>>48059521
FPBP
>>
>>48059484
>>Due to the format, you can be more detailed in your roleplay. You can even spend a few posts exactly describing what kind of dish you're preparing for your friends

>Not cooking the dish during a session and bringing it out to role play dinner with your friends
>>
>>48059484
>I don't see the added value of meeting face to face
Are you on the spectrum?

I would like to point out that if you spend a few posts exactly describing what kind of dish you're preparing, those are posts/effort/time you are expending for literally purple prose. If it takes you three days IRL to describe the cooking of a meal, maybe you should reconsider playing roleplaying games and consider writing a book instead.

I find a decent balance between pure improv and "I am writing a book" is writing small scene narrations that set up a scenario or interaction, or demonstrate something about the setting. Since it's read out loud, the proofreading is a bit different than it would be for words intended to be read instead of listened to, but it's pretty easy once you know what to do.

Everything that >>48059521 said is valid.
>>
File: Ytxr8gx[1].jpg (22 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
Ytxr8gx[1].jpg
22 KB, 446x362
>>48059560
Now I wish I actually had friends
>>
>>48059596
>not fregg.jpg
>>
>>48059484
No, you're just autistic. None of these are problems for normal people. And just because you can't hear the GM's voice when you're trying to have pretend sex with him, doesn't make you any less of a faggot.
>>
>>48059484
I enjoy the asynchronous nature of PbP, if the challenges are carefully presented in a self-contained way that allows you to think them over. But I've never gotten it to work with multiple players, it quickly becomes incoherent.
>>
pretentious niggers like you who use words they don't comprehend are the reason PbP is garbage

People try to be clever but they are invariably incompetent and idiots, so it reads like the prosaic diarrhea of a middle school daydreamer
>>
>>48059484
I have played PbP and I GMed a couple, and I'm just riding out my social obligations. I only even tried it because I had to cut back my gaming.

The players never *do* anything, so it means I have 1 game I like to run and 1 game that I like playing if for right now - and even then I have to put up with pretentious fags and Mary Sues that pretended to be normal for a week.
>>
PbP works only if the people you play with love writing, or else often times you get a single sentence descriptions for roleplaying where they don't do anything. Also it's incredibly slow. I've done a PbP campaign for 2 years and we've only gotten through 3 parts of Kingmaker.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.